Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala: Meet the Owners

Comments

• nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I honestly don't know if that's a good price or not - it doesn't sound bad, especially with so few miles. Not knowing what the mileage is on the 2000 model, I'd have to guess that price is high. Between the two, you probably won't encounter $3,500 in additional expense/repair on the 2000 model though (the changes made between 2000 and 2001 weren't THAT major). You might check sites like KBB.com and such and see what the 2000 is worth; might be able to negotiate it down to the point that it becomes too hard to pass up. But if you can spend $21k, the 2002 (with refinements and longer warranty) might be worth the peace of mind.
  • I know where you could find a fully equipped 2001 LS with under 10K miles for about what they want for that 2000.
    It's got some custom add-ons, and quite a lot of the 36,36 warranty left.
    Yup. I know just where you could find one. Yup.
  • martyv1martyv1 Member Posts: 21
    Well garypen - where is that Impala. I'm on my way up to the dealer tomorrow to look at the 2000. The GM extended warranty is available for $1100 more then the $17800 - the TMV on this car is around $16000. My buying price. Let's see what they offer - I will have my check book .

All the dealers so far will provide the carfax report on their vehicles.

Someone here mentioned poor weld points on the engine mounts of the 2000 Impala - anyone else hear of that?

Anyway this buggy is wheels to get to work without feeling drained from the ride.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    A number of 2000 Impala owners have complained about popping noises coming from the engine cradle. If you are interested in reading more about it, go to http://www.impalahq.com/, visit the How-To page, scroll almost all the way down and look for the Engine Cradle link.
  • It's in San Jose. That would be exit 3,978 on the Garden State Parkway.
    Well I went and saw a Dark blue 2000 Impala LS. No sunroof or cassette but loaded. 29,890 miles and the engine looked brand new. However the radio on off button worked intermittently, the front passenger side tire was balding on the outer edge the driver side tire wear appeared normal and one of the keyless entry remotes would not work. Dealer came down $800. I would have bought it on the spot except for the 3 above problems.

You'd think they would have cleaned the vehicle up and got it ready for a sale. Instead a salesman was using it as his ride. I thought these people were in the business of selling cars!
    I didn't think you could get the LS with just a basic radio. Funny they didn't offer to fix it since it would still be under warranty.
  • That's crazy. I guess sometimes it's better to buy a used car from a private seller. Besides the lower price, there's a good chance it's in pristine condition, just like the 2001 LS with only 9900 miles, fully loaded and in perfect condition that I'm looking to either sell or have someone take over the lease with only 21 months left to go, in the San Jose, California area.

Good luck on your quest. There are probably quite a few 2000 models coming off lease, and a TON of 2000 and 2001 ex-fleet Impalas out there now. Hertz has a ship load for sale.
    Found one - 2001LS cloth interior no sunroof but has almoast everything else - clean engine - great tires looks very clan ans they didn't perp it for sale yet.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Congratulations! Sounds very similar to mine (2001 LS, Cloth, no hole in the roof). What colour is it? Mine is Navy Blue and it looks fantastic with tinted windows.
    Brad
  • rkelcrkelc Member Posts: 1
    Marty....forget the dealer extended warrant....search the net like www.warrantbynet.com ........much more time/miles for a cheaper price........If you have less than a year or almost at 36k......you can get up to 6 more years (not like the dealer when he sells you a 6yr/60k warranty which means you only get 3more years...At Warranybynet you do get 6 more years on top of the 3 that already been used up and possible up to 100k for about $1000......compared to about $1400 from a dealer and remember you get only 3 more years not 6 more......Just trying to save you some $$$$.....
    bh0001 my 01 Impala is Silver with the grey interior. Has the rear spoiler - the dealer ordered new mat for me and tire cover in the trunk (the one in there was crushed). So far I love this car. Big, quiet, lots of power. Quite a step up from the Lumina.

Thanks rkelc - thanks for the warranty info. Have you heard any ratings by Consumer reports on the reliability of Warranybynet?
    Well, just completed my 800 mi plus trip in my '01 Impala. The best ride I have taken. Mercedes ride was more quiet but for the $$$, the Impala was dam good. 7 1/2 hour drive with 1 10 minute rest stop and neither my back nor legs hurt. Family was so comfortable they fell asleep listening to the stereo.

This car, so far, beasts the hell out of my old Grand Am, Lumina, and is a better ride then my '01 Accord.
    Oddly enough, the first drive out of town I took with the family in my 2000 Impala, I was driving along, and looked around to discover that both kids and my wife had fallen asleep in the car!! Big difference between it and the Geo Prizm we'd be used to using as our road car.
  • Last year, while driving up to Pac Bell Park in SF, which is only a one hour drive or less from my home, my rear seat passengers fell asleep. It's definitely a roomy back seat. No squishing.
    Very happy I got the LS with the stiffer suspension. I think that makes a big difference. Got on the Interstate Wed. and got the Impala up over 80 - just crusin with the stereo blasting - cars got out of the way. It reminded me of my younger days in my old Mustang - but alot classier.
  • teenintyteeninty Member Posts: 9
    i was trying to get on this forum
    i have the 2001 impala ls
    hope to talk some
    anyone who has bellsouth for a internet provider
    i feel for you
    bellsouth really is starting to get on my nerves
    i have the 2001 impala ls
    fully loaded with the exception of no sunroof, power passager seat,nor heated seats
    so far i've 40k on the car and love it. it's
    not given any trouble of any sort
    i'm going to start adding some stuff to it so far i've just made minor changes

headlight covers
    ventshades
    the taillight kit from crazygraphix
    dual exhaust
    and a stereo upgrade using all ma equipment
    Is that your list of planned upgrades or things you have already added?
    the mods i have already done:

first i want say i do not claim to have an impala ss if anyone ask i tell them that i did all the work

ss emblems on front doors and trunk (and i took the time to put them on right i even had to get a new impala emblems so that they would match the emblems are red and the impalas are black)

carbon fiber bowtie witch match the hubcaps
    headlight covers
    wind splitters below front bumper
    chrome valve stem covers
    cat back dual exhaust
    rear taillight blackout from crazygraphix
    supercharged engine cover (i'm wishing for what goes under it)
    tinted windows
    autovent shades for windows
    stubbie cellular ant from cellularone (it beats the whip)
    and then the stereo:
    ma-6.5 for the front doors
    ma-6x9 for the rear deck
    ma-486 amp for the mids and highs
    ma-12xe subs (2)
    and a ma-5011dx to run them

the only engine mod are:
    k&n air filter
    and the long oil filter fram #ph3980pro1
    and i use castrol 10w30 for oil
    i have no oil consumption problems
    it really does run good and i have not had any problems with the car
  • kkc3kkc3 Member Posts: 6
    I have just purchased a 2000 LS
    Can someone tell me the most common problems with this year?
    So far, from what I've read, there are 3-4 main problems:

ISS - needs replacement
    Short in Headlight switch causing dash light problems and ultimately headlight failure.
    Something about an upper plenum coolant leak and a
    manifold replacement?

I am a woman who knows nothing about cars.
    I always drove Fords - minivans for my kids
    This is the first used car I've ever bought.
    What should I expect from the list above, and any other problems I might encounter. Frankly, I'm pretty nervous about this purchase after reading the various Impala boards - especially about the 2000.
    It has 33,000 miles.
    Thank you for your help.
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    Hi
    You are doing a great job by being here reading all the posts. I can see how you might be worried about your impala after reading the forum because we all talk about every little issue.. I just want to say that I've got over 43,000 on my 2001 and so far have only spent 200.00 out of warranty for a leaky gasket.

I'm not sure if you are within your 3 years or not, but regardless, it wouldn't cost very much (some dealers might not even charge anything) to just have a good inspection done on the ISS and your cooling system.

I'm not saying that the headlight thing will not happen, but I don't think its a very common issue.

In any case, if you have your ISS and Cooling system inspected (for leaks) and everything is ok, then at least you know where you stand from day one. That and change your oil every 3 months, and I think you'll find that your Impala will last a long long time.

Take care and I hope you enjoy your ride
  • kkc3kkc3 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your encouragement. Where would I go to have this stuff checked? Another dealership?
    Any mechanic?
  • sugarcookiesugarcookie Member Posts: 10
    Drivinisfun - I was looking at the 2003 Impala. Of course, I would want the bigger engine, spoiler, and most of the toys. However, I would not want a sunroof. After a few years, they start to leak - and it is too easy for a breakin.
    Any positive or negative info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sugar Cookie
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Member Posts: 38
    Hi Everyone !

My name is Neil and I am 47 years old with two daughter's (9 and 12) and have just purchased a 2003 Impala LS in Berry Red with all option's except XM radio, Sport Package and Sunroof. My other car is a 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited. Hope to meet some of you in the various forums here.
  • spark1espark1e Member Posts: 18
    I'm a new owner too. 01 LS 20k mi, like new, love everything about the car. Except the noisey Goodyears. Will not be sad when they're worn out and I can put some good tires on it. Would not be without XM radio!
  • colleen14colleen14 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a used 2001 Chevrolet Impala LS with 9,000 miles on it for $16,300. I bought it in February of this year, 2003. It will only be a short time before I have 12,000 miles on it and will need to service it. I think there's 11,300 on it now.

Is there anything specific I should ask when I get this car serviced? Should I take it to the dealer where I bought it for service or does it really matter?

Your suggestions are appreciated!
    To: Mr. Poetryman

You said you didn't like the Goodyear tires. What kind of tires are you thinking about putting on your LS?
    Hi Colleen :)

You do not need to take your car to the dealer to have it serviced. If you take it to a quick-lube place, such as Jiffy Lube or Expressway, they will do all the maintenance required on the car. They will also tell you what else needs to be done that they can not or will not do, such as brake repair for example. I have a 2000 Buick LeSabre Limited that I have only taken to Expressway since I have bought it, and they have serviced it to perfection. I will be be taking my Impala to the dealer, only because they threw in 3 years of free oil changes with the deal I got on the car. They basically did that because it is the same dealer that I bought my Buick at and it's kind of a loyalty reward.

I did not say I disliked the Goodyear Tires, that was spark1e's comment (Post #130 Above). I will be picking up my car tomorrow, and I will let you know about the tires once I put some mileage on the car. If I do decide to replace them, I would most probably go with Micheleins. I have them on my LeSabre and I am very satisfied with the ride. Feel free to ask anything else, I will try to help you out.

Neil
    Mr. Poetryman or anyone that has knowledge on this......My 2001 warranty is going to expire 10/00 (that's when it was built). What is your opinion on warranties? Should I get a warranty? If so, which warranty is honored at most dealerships or shops? Which warranty actually pays? Hmm......I'm just not sure if I should spend $1,000 on a warranty......any thoughts are appreciated. Time is running out. Thanks.
    Warranty - Replacing the intake manifold will cost you $800; wouldn't take much more (intermediate steering shaft) to make your money back on a warranty.

Tires - FWIW, my original Goodyears lasted about 45k miles, and they still had enough tread to be considered legal/safe.
    Colleen, I would suggest checking out the Warranty section here at Edmunds. They have some expert advice, right on the site.

Neil
  • spark1espark1e Member Posts: 18
    Colleen, the Goodyears (1 of them) make a strange noise on each revolution, which you can hear inside the car. Heard it on test drive in rear, after dealer serviced the car and rotated tires front to back and delivered to me I now hear the noise from the front. Cannot see anything weird on the tread, must be internal. Had identical noise on a previous set of Goodyears.

I'll probably get Michelins, or maybe Continental Contacts.
  • t_tookalookt_tookalook Member Posts: 29
    I had Goodyears on my SUV and I had trouble with four out of five. On one the belt seperated and the others made 'funny' noise. I won't have them on anything again. This was since they were new. They will be changed shortly on my 2003 Imp to a Yokohama Avid V/H4-245-60. This tire has good write ups and my son has run them on his vehicle.
    Rodger
  • boltzieboltzie Member Posts: 5
    ...as of yesterday. I did have some initial problems with some rust specs on the driver's side door and front fender. The dealer stated it came from the rails of the moving truck. The car was taken to the body shop and most specs were removed, but some were still present. I figure if I want it done right, I'll do it myself. Also, there is some rust under the driver's seat around the welds. I checked a few other cars on the lot and all had the rust under the seat.....what's up with that?

Anyways, here is some info:

2003 Impala LS / Galaxy Silver Metallic
    7 Miles when I left the lot
    Cloth interior....neve got used to leather
    Factory CD Stereo

So far, so good.

Several of my friends who are mechanics have recommended that I do the first oil change at 1000 miles. I'm kind of curious how the automatic oil change light comes on with respect to mileage.

Any recommendations are appreciated.
    Congrats on the new Impala!!

I've got 53k miles on my 2000 Impala. I too changed my initial oil earlier than required (somewhere around 500 miles as I recall). Just bought my wife a new Accord, and they don't suggest changing oil initially until 5k miles, and actually discourage you from changing it earlier. Some argue there is "break in" oil put into the engine initially; others say change it early, because there'll be more metallic bits floating around in it due to initial break in.

Anyway, my experience with the oil change indicator light is that you'll run 5-6k miles before it suggest changing oil. Obviously yours may vary depending upon where you live and how you drive. I switched to synthetic (Mobil-1) at @ 3k miles, so I don't worry about running 5-6k miles on the same oil. Not sure I'd want to run standard "dino" oil that long, although I've been told today's oils are more than up to that task.

Info is in your manual as to how to reset the oil monitor. If you don't change your oil yourself, at least learn how to reset the monitor, and do it each time you get your oil changed. Rare for the Jiffy Lube guys to know/remember to do something like that.
  • loupie8loupie8 Member Posts: 5
    I am an owner of a 93 Lumina (was new and I really enjoyed it for the most part). Have the opportunity to buy a 2003 Impala Base model, 3.4 with many options that take it up a notch for a decent price. It was a trade in from Budget Rentals with only 17K and more than 2 years left on the warranty . I like the way it drives (so Lumanesque), felt OK after reading reviews in the AAA magazine, but after finding the "problems" discussion group, I'm extremely nervous about buying this car. I was going to buy it next week but I'm really concerned about what I've read concerning the manifold, ISS, etc. I can't afford new cars often, so I need this one to be reliable and long term.
    Need some honesty here from you guys! Should I take the plunge, or look at other options? The concern here is the repair record and potential problems. Would it be better to look at a new 2004? Won't have the options the 2003 has and I can't seem to find any significant improvements on the new model.
     Also, what is the website for recalls on GM vehicles?
    Thanks, Jo
  • geezr2geezr2 Member Posts: 7
    Hi.I had to chuckle when I read your post.I wonder if you were looking at the same car we just bought.(We live in Waterloo Ont) I know it's highly unlikely,but we bought an '03 base Impala from a Chevy dealer here,which was a GM auction daily rental buyback.It has 17k,and even tho it has lots of warranty left,we opted for the 4 year ext. just for the peace of mind,if nothing else.It's white,with a navy blue interior,and although it doesn't have all the options we wanted,it was a good deal,imho.

After about 2 weeks of ownership,we are very pleased with the car,eapecially since the weather here has been dreadful.The day we picked it up(Jan.5th) it started snowing,and it's been bitterly cold and snowy ever since,and the Impala has been perfect.I don't know what mileage were getting,but the gas guage has only dropped to the 1/2 tank mark,even tho it's been used only for stop and go driving in very cold weather for 2 weeks,roughly 250 km,so far.

As for the typical problems that have been mentioned on this forum,they seem to have been more prevalent on '00 models(the first year thing) and if you're considering an '03 or new,I wouldn't worry too much.We also keep our cars for a long time,and we are pretty confident that this one will age gracefully.

Since you posted your message late last year,you may have already made your descision,but FWIW,I'd say go for the '03 and save big bucks over new,even with the 4 yr ext warranty,and all taxes in,the total was under $18k allowing 3k for our trade in,which we were very glad to be rid of!

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy!
    Ric :o)

Ooops! almost forgot the site that lists recalls,you asked for.
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/10/031019GN.html
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I live in Guelph and work in Waterloo. I have a navy blue '01 LS that I absolutely love. It kills me to have it covered in all the salt and crap from the roads.

My mileage averages pretty consistently around 10.5 litres per 100km.

I'm always amazed at how quickly the car warms up on really cold days. One day last week the DIC was reading minus 22 outside and the heater was blowing hot within 4 blocks of my office after sitting outside all day. Fabulous!
  • geezr2geezr2 Member Posts: 7
    That's nice to hear.I wish ours was an LS model,but when you buy a daily rental,you have to take the base I guess.Even so,it's comfortable,roomy,quiet,has enough pep,and a great sounding CD player.Now if I could just get a break from this crappy weather,so i could get the darn thing washed! Oh yeah,does the LS have a lit glove box? I can't believe this car has no light in the glove box;even my 14 year old base Taurus has a light in there,as well as a dome light,which I miss in the Impala.When I get out a CD from the little console under the arm rest,it's hard to see in the dark without a dome light. Quibbles aside,this is a nice straightforward solid car.

Ric :o)
  • road46road46 Member Posts: 18
    After 10 years driving Japanese (Toyota) I' am back at home with Chevrolet. I read all 12000 postings in this discussion, plus read the others. What I found was quite a following for the Impala. I had a 1966, 1969, two 1970's and a 1971 Impala years ago. I was in a highway crash with my first car, a 1969 Impala that was T-boned by a 1967 Chrysler and everyone in the Impala walked away. When I read that the Impala had a 5 star front crash rating, I decided to give one a test drive. I wanted a used 2003 LS but wound up buying a new 2004 with the 3.4 engine, sport seats with 6 way power seat and 200 amp radio. Paid $17,770 after rebates and discounts. Folks, do your research, then go drive an Impala, hope you agree that you get a pretty good bang for your buck. Plenty of power, smooth ride, excellent heat (it's been below zero here in Upstate NY) and outstanding disc brakes. Built in Canada, just like my first Impala. So far I put on 1100 flawless miles in two weeks. I have rented other cars for my business travels in the Adirondack Mountains and this is without a doubt the best all around car I have driven. It's good to be home.
  • smt1020smt1020 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to put a new small system in my 2000 Impala ls. I would like a new head unit although I do not want to change the head unit and loose all of the features the factory head unit includes. Are there any head units that can be bought that include these features or similar?
  • scheckscheck Member Posts: 8
    I've had my 2004 Impala for about ten months, but I still struggle to find a truly comfortable driving position for my right foot. The distance between the gas and brake pedals is greater than any car I've ever had. Also, I'm not thrilled with the soft center padding of the cloth seat, with the outer padding being very firm. I've used seat covers, pillows, foam and everything else trying to get more comfortable with no success. When I get in my wife's car ('03 Vibe), I'm always comfortable.

Other than the two issues, I really like this car. Can anyone relate to what I'm saying. If I can't do something to get a little more comfortable, I'm going to take a bath on a trade.
    I'm just now catching on the posts here after being absent for a couple of weeks, so I don't know if you ever got a response or not. I don't know the answer, but there used to be another forum here specifically related to the Impala radio - if you can't find that one, I know there's one about modifications here that you might try posting on.
  • mikesaulmikesaul Member Posts: 3
    Wonderful forums here! New to the group as of today. A few years back, I had a trip to Indianapolis (if I gave the dates, I'm sure a few would know the event!). We tried getting a minivan for the trip, but that did not work with our budget. Then we got a great deal on a rental for a Ford Focus at Enterprise. When we went to pick the car up, they didn't have any cars in that class left! They gave us a brand new (and I mean <20 miles new!) 2001 Impala for the same price and threw in 2 tanks of gas! Needless to say, the trip was great. The car handled well and felt wonderful. The dual AC system was also a great feature. A couple of months later, our 1996 Villager became a hood ornament for a Dodge Dually, so we went looking for a car. Found a used '01 Impala (3.4L) for a good price and jumped on in! In fact, it was formerly an Enterprise rental. It has been great. Started at <30K miles, now sitting at 105K in under 2 years. No major maintenance issues. Have started having an issue recently with the check engine light and code P1406, but still working that out to find a root cause.
  • bhamrickbhamrick Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Impala, with 62000 miles, surprised me today when the cruise control light began blinking and blinked constantly on my drive home. Does anyone know what it is trying to tell me?
  • billingsleybillingsley Member Posts: 69
    I have an '03 LE Impala I bought new in '03, and have been very happy with it. I don't spare the horses when I drive. I tend to drive 75-80 and still get almost 30 MPG. I've got the 3.8 engine, and can't be happier with it. I saw the new '06's on the lot when getting mine serviced and thought the SS model looked great. It's got a DOD V8 (displacement on demand) and is supposed to get in the high 20's on mileage on the highway. I think I will stick with Chevy. :)
  • layneelaynee Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I'm desperately seeking any information on a Chevy Impala owned by my uncle back when I was a kid. I remember it being olive green with a black vinyl top and I'll go out on a limb and guess it was anywhere between a '67 - '72, judging from the pics I've look at online. I really need to know what year it was but no one I ask seems to know or remember. Before anyone suggests it, I've already checked out the paint chips and they're all starting to look the same! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :confuse:
    Are the only details you remember the olive green and black vinyl top? Green doesn't narrow it down much, but I'd think with a black vinyl top you're probably talking about the earlier end of that year range than the latter...most of the early '70's Impala's I remember that were green had a white top. If you remember any other details (especially things like taillights) that would help narrow it down a little).
This discussion has been closed.