Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala: Meet the Owners

Comments

• bbrowne74bbrowne74 Member Posts: 58
    No didnt' name it that - we haven't named the car yet! Did order the Perfect Fit bra from Carbras.com.

I did finally get some pictures up though:

http://www.bradbrowne.com/impala/

• bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Oh, not quite identical. I don't have OnStar.

However, it looks like we're listening to the same CD. Is the second-from-the-right CD in the last picture the Matrix soundtrack? Very wierd!!
    Yep! Of course that's a GREAT CD to test the system. I must have one of the new AMPS (Apparently the old one was subpar) because the system in my car is quite nice. Wife doens't care for the high decibels!
  • kenbuzzkenbuzz Member Posts: 99
    You guys crack me up. Are you certain you're not just two versions of the same person? :)
    I was also very pleasantly surprised with the qualtiy of the stereo after reading about all the problems. I still might drop in some aftermarket speakers at some point in the future, but with the current quality of sound it's not a pressing issue.

Kenbuzz - Although I do talk to myself frequently, I try not to "chat" or e-mail myself too often! However, my neighbours do think I'm nuts because I wash my car so often and ride my mountain bike over 2x4s on my driveway!
  • dsw7311dsw7311 Member Posts: 15
    I have a complete set of manuals for the 2000 Impala/Monte Carlo for sale $100 plus UPS.
    They cost me over 150. They are also on ebay Item #591908677
    Dont need them since I am trading in LS for an Avalanche. Hate to, but want to. I love my LS so much.
  • nicandbritnicandbrit Member Posts: 2
    1st time to this site/1st time Impala owner. I bought a Carmine Red '01 Impala loaded with gray leather and all the bells & whistles last Monday (Memorial Day) in Virginia. I got a fantastic deal paying $500 LESS THAN the dealer invoice. I took his $750 dealer cash incentive and his $753 holdback. My wife and I love the car; it's so roomy inside and the OnStar system is something else! My step-dad had an Impala in 1973 and he put over 200,000 miles on it! Now I know that a lot has changed in almost 20 years, but I hope that's an indication that I won't have a lick of trouble with my new one. Today, I had the "Auto Armor" upgrade applied to the paint. It is a paint sealer and is like a tephlon coating. Has anyone ever had this sealant applied? How is it holding up? What are your views on after market extended warranties via the internet at 1SourceWarranty.com? (I think this is the address.) Any and all info that you can provide me on the Impala (tips/recalls/what to expect) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks & God Bless!
  • sherri11sherri11 Member Posts: 2
    This is my first visit. I just bought T0DAY a 2001 Impala LS Med. Bronze Mist Metallic, Leather, Sunroof, EVERYTHING. I LOVE THIS CAR. I did a lot of research and don't think there is another car on the road that gives you more bang for the buck. I pick up the car in the morning at 10am. Sleepless night ahead.
    COngrats on your 2k1! I got mine on 5/28 - Memorial Day. I just cracked 2600 miles after doing some heavy work driving that was sort of out of whack, and it drove like a dream!

Was a little cautious and had my first oil change today. I love this car!
  • joed56joed56 Member Posts: 27
    I just joined this site. My name is Joe. I bought my Impala in March of this year. Had bad experiences with three chevrolet dealerships. They really jerked me around. Finally bought the car from Royal Chevrolet in Bridgewater, N.J. Am taking it for the first service June 28,2001. Really enjoy my car. Prior to this car, I had a 1992 Caprice Classic, LTZ model. This car was a dream! I put 145,000 miles on it before the trans went on it. I decided to get rid of it rather than go for a trans. Never added a quart of oil in 145,000 miles. Was the most powerful car I ever owned.I will truly miss this monster.
  • sherri11sherri11 Member Posts: 2
    Just to let you know. 935 miles. still LOVE this car. Drives like a dream. smooth. quiet. 10 days old now. washed 3 times (it has rained alot) I've gotten lots of compliments on the color. Haven't seen many. None on the local dealers lot. Mine was brought in to me from another dealership approx. 90 miles away. Deep rich color and that is what I like. I have normally bought white vehicles but the white impala didn't do much for me with that black moulding. I would think Chevy could match moulding to vehicle color. Oh well.
  • cgncgn Member Posts: 6
    I am going to buy an Impala in the fall. Has anyone heard of anything worth waiting for the 02's about or should I just get an 01.
    I don't think the 02 will differ much from the o1. From what I understand, there may be minor changes. My advice is that if you want the best deal go for the 01 because most dealers will want to move them to make way for the 02's. Therefore, you should get a better deal as opposed to the 02's. Personally, I would wait for the 02's. That is just my preference. I know that the dealers are taking orders for 02's. By the way, my 01 LS is a real dream. I've got 3,800 miles on it and it is real sweet. Good luck in your hunting and let us know how you make out
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    We have had a dark red (burgundy) Impala LS loaded for about 6 months. Great car. It's big, safe, good looking and reasonably fast. When K&N comes out with a filter for it I'll get a few more HP's. Anyway, can you believe a Camry V6 cost so much more (thousands). It's smaller, no styling, less power, and gets 3 mpg LESS than the Impala on the highway even though it is hundreds of pounds lighter!! Of course if Toyota was able to pull off what Chevy did it would be hailed as the 8th wonder of the world. And if anybody gives me the "better resale value crap" I'm gonna have to remind them their car cost 3K more and after 5 years or so, that 3K (even in the bank) is worth a good deal. It HAS to have better resale just to break even for crying out loud! Anyway, all you Impala owners should be proud of making such a great buy.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I recently rented a base Impala (torch red...nice) with the 3.4L. Drove Awesome, and averaged 32-34MPG. Very nice cruising car. I may buy one this fall, but read recently that the 3.4 only holds 4 quarts of oil. Is this true? I really like the price/performance of the 3.4. but it seems strange to only hold 4 quarts for this size engine. I can't wait to get one.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Both the 3.4L and 3.8L engines call for 4.3 quarts after an oil and filter change. Why 4.3 and not 5 or something? I dunno...
  • cairocairo Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm a new member with a 2001 Impala LS in Galaxy Silver, grey leather, loaded. Everything but the sunroof, which I didn't want. I purchased it in May 2001, and have already put 7000 miles on it. I just love driving it that much (the work commute adds to it as well). I have a few questions I hope someone might be able to help with, since my dealer is useless. What is the sound I get a few minutes after I turn on the A/C? It sounds like a rock hitting my windshield. Also, is anybody else having problems with rear selt belts getting stuck? And can anybody tell me the best way to safely remove tree sap from the windshield and invisible bra on the hood? Thanks!
    The sounds you are hearing could be the interior contracting as the material shifts from hot to cold.

Bug/tree sap remover works wonders but I have never used to to remove an invisible bra...

=).
  • cgncgn Member Posts: 6
    anyone know what type of red of the 02 color is relative to the torch red. Local dealer doesn't carry it yet.Is it more like Blazer red or more Ford Taurus type?
  • That loud snap appears to be the hard plastic part of the dashboard, between the big vynal section and the windshield. Apparently, it expands and contracts from the heat of the sun and cool of the A/C, and while doing so, rubs against some other piece of the car causing the snapping noise.

It seems to be quite common. I, and others, thought that rocks were hitting our windshields. It drives me crazy. I instinctually flinch every time it happens, in reaction to the non exsistent rock.

I belive there is a GM TSB called "Snapping/Popping Noise From Dash Area". Unfortunately, I don't have the full bulletin. If anyone does, it would be so nice if they would post it in the "service issues" topic. It may explain how to get rid of it.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    Soon after I got my 01 LS, I installed a Dash Mat. Never have heard the "POP".
  • "Vinyl" not "vynal". Again strikes dyslexia.
  • czardaleczardale Member Posts: 6
    I just found this site and thought I would take a moment to introduce my self. I have been looking for a car to replace my 1998 VW Golf. I wanted a more comfortable car. After looking at the Impala at the local auto show, I added it to my short list of cars to test. I went to the local Oldsmobile & Chevrolet dealer and the salesman let me drive the Oldsmobile Intrigue and then the Chevrolet Impala LS. I liked the Impala better then the Intrigue. I was able to make a deal and now I am the owner of a 2001 Chevrolet Impala LS.

Model: Impala LS
    Color: White
    Interior: Gray Leather
    Build Date: 06/01
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Folks...today's events are horrendous, and we probably haven't heard the last of it. My prayers for the safety of you, your loved ones, and for us all.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Dear Czardale: Welcome to the site and congrats on your new Impala. I, also, have an 01 LS which I purchased in March of this year. It is black with double white & silver pinstripes. The rides beatiful. Had to replace the ECM a short while ago and so far everything has been fine with the car. Good luck with yours and talk to you soon. Joe
  • carguyaamcarguyaam Member Posts: 6
    hey guys! i just found this site and thought I would join the fun! I actually do not own an Impala, but have one as a company fleet vehicle included for personal use. I have put 31K on my 2001 Torch Red Impala (3.4L) since Nov 1 of 2000. I have driven it all over the midwest (IL, KY, IN, OH, MI), and absolutely love it! I am convinced there is no greater bang for the buck in the family sedan market (even though I didn't pay for it...). I have observed 33 mpg on the highway (most of my miles) and enjoy the comfortable ride every time I get in. Being in my 20's, i never thought I'd enjoy a column shifter, but that Impala has a certain charm... Big trunk, spacious interior, 33mpg, and Torch Red. Love it...
  • tigerseye56tigerseye56 Member Posts: 1
    I fell in love with the 2000 Impala when I first saw it and was planning to purchase a used one. However, when the dealer asked if I'd be interested in a new one at 0.0% financing, I figured why not. It's a Galaxy Silver Metallic 2001 model with lots of extras. Absolutely love it.
  • socalchevsocalchev Member Posts: 20
    Just bought a 01 base model. Sand drift, custom rims,CD player, 3.4L. I do alot of freeway commuting, I hope the 32 mpg isn't just a market hype!! Seems hard to believe that a car this big can get better mileage than a 5 speed Camry. I like the clean look of the base model, especially with the aluminum rims. Well its been a hour, so I better go out to the garage and look at it again...
  • carguyaamcarguyaam Member Posts: 6
    no, its not market hype! i have seen 33 mpg on highway trips. i just recorded 29.4 mpg on a mixed use journey of 425 miles this past weekend. Chevy has got a winner here...
  • socalchevsocalchev Member Posts: 20
    I replaced my honda with this Impala and the comfort and power are very welcomed on my commute. I dont know how Chevy gets the MPG from such a large car maybe the transmission gearing?
  • macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    I picked up a used 2000 Sandrift Metalic Impala Base model about a month ago. We saw it on the lot next to a used 2001 and the 2000 was in way better shape for less money. It was used as a dealer courtesy car, so it is very well taken care of and all the warranty work has been done on it. I'm not sure if the engine cradle has been replaced though, but this car has almost 50000km/30000mi on it and no problems.

My wife and I decided on this car after renting it several times. (Including one 1800km road trip) I have rented plenty of cars and this was the only one I could actually fit into, especially entering and exiting the vehicle which is usually a challenge for somebody my height. I'm 6'6" tall so I don't fit in a Honda. My wife is almost 6' tall so she's not exactly short, either. The headroom is superb and the power driver's seat is a blessing. We liked the lack of a centre console on the base model because I don't wack my knees on it like I would in other cars. Probably the best thing I like about the Impala is the automatic transmission. I have driven plenty of cars, and I don't think anything else on the road comes close to the performance and smoothness of the tranny on the Impala. It never hunts for gears, even driving through mountains.
    Welcome to the club!

You mentioned renting. Perhaps you'd be interested in this?

The New York Times is interested in hearing people's reactions to the special car rental deals currently in effect. You can now borrow a car for as low as $9.99/day from Enterprise or $20/day from Hertz, and you can get a Ford Ranger at $19.99/day or $99.99/week from Budget. How does that fit into your travel plans? Or, does it inspire you to rent a vehicle locally for personal use?"

Contact jfallon@edmunds.com with your comments, phone number, and city and state of residence by Wednesday, October 17 if you'd like to participate.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • shrubsshrubs Member Posts: 22
    Hi

I just purchased a 2001 Navy Blue Impala LS - Loaded. Excellent Car. Drove it 1500 miles home and at 70-75 mph, I never averaged under 30 mpg highway! Plus my wife is extremely happy since she no longer needs here "pillow" to see out the front! As soon as we get some sun here in North Dakota, I'll post some pics to my web site.
  • macgyver24macgyver24 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the info Karen, but my wife and I are through with renting cars. That's why we bought one, so we wouldn't have to waste money renting!
  • gone2plaidgone2plaid Member Posts: 1
    Anybody seen the 2000+ Police Package?

P.S. This is my first post...
    I have seen a police Impala in a number of places. Did you have a question about it?
  • crispynursecrispynurse Member Posts: 1
    hi all. i bought my 2000 impala barely used (just under 7k miles) for less than 18k!!! it is a 2000 with a build date of 12-99. it is a base model, sandrift metallic with almost all the bells and whistles. I have had very little problems with this car. what problem i did have with it, my dealer fixed. the keyless entry was working only intermittently. the dealer replaced the cluster (about a 1 1/2 day job) and it has been working ever since. I am having an occasional problem of the car engine 'shaking' just after i start it. this has happened only a few times, and when i step on the gas, it went away. any ideas? i have not heard of any of the popping or other noises i have read about.
    unfortunatley i have been in an accident with this car (not my fault) i was rear ended. for the speed the cop (yes, a cop rear ended me) was going, it held up pretty well. Thankfully everything on the body is fixed now.
    this is my first time to the site and looking forward to all the info!!!
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to jfallon@edmunds.com, or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS

Host

Owner's Clubs

• kimpala1962kimpala1962 Member Posts: 45
    i have a 2001 ls impala onxy black. i notice that the inside of the gas door the primer is coming through, also on the inside of the trunk, and the right pillar. when i first bought it the inside of the door jam was the same way, but the car was only 1 week old. now the the car is 6 months old with 3026 miles. The service maage saids that how all the cars are coming through blaming the robots, if so wouldn't you want to fix it at plant... gm dealer wouldn't like it if i was short a couple of thousand dollors when i bought the car... anyone have the same problem
    From what I remember, a number of people were complaining about that before. Are you sure it is the primer? In some places they sprayed the base coat but didn't come back with the clear topcoat.

In any case, if you are not satified, go after the dealer. "That's how all the cars are" or "they are made that way" is a cop out.
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    I also have a black Impala LS. The paint is not thin and should not be as night owl stated. Sometimes when a car is buffed out the buffing compound builds up and looks like thin paint because the compound looks like gray primer. Try taking a little polish to the gray in an inconspicuous place. If the gray area gets larger , you have thin paint. If not, you have a compound build up. If the gray area gets larger showing thin paint, it need painting anyway. If the dealer refuses to paint it, call Chevrolet customer service at 1 800 1020. They will help you. Enjoy the ride.
  • bsappbsapp Member Posts: 21
    I have a new 2002 Impala LS in Bronzemist. After a disastrous three months with a 2002 Nissan Altima (highly overrated) I decided to trade it at somewhat a loss for the Impala. I am very pleased so far with my car. It is fully loaded with sunroof but has cloth seating. I especially like the rarely seen color. The salesman told me when my car came in, everyone gathered around to look it over because they had not seen this particular color Impala before. It's smooth, quiet and comfortable and has many features that makes it in my opinion, one of the best values for the money. Initially, I was going to purchase the base model and option it with the 3800, sunroof, Onstar and other essentials. A dealer search produced several units with all of these options except Onstar. My salesman informed me to think about the LS and I'm glad he did as it wasn't that much a difference pricewise after the base model is loaded up with options. I have had the car about four months now and it has 2,600 miles on the odometer. I haven't had any problems with the car and would like to think this one will be a keeper.

Bill Sapp
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    What's your story with the Altima? My wife will be in the market soon for a slighly-smaller-than-an-Impala sedan in the near future; Altima is on our list - it'd be nice to hear from an Impala owner how you'd compare the Altima.
  • martyv1martyv1 Member Posts: 21
    HI All - I presently own a 1995 Lumina with 139,000+ miles. Looking to replace it. Drove both the Impala std and LS - like the 3.8L V6. LS felt like a better ride than the Lumina while the Impala Std. felt worse than the Lumina (mushy ride). I do 80+ miles/day. Like the big car quiet ride. Am thinking of a used Impala LS 2000+ model year with under 30,000 miles as opposed to a new one. Save the $$$. Is this a good idea? any pointers on warranty or features, price? Don't need top end model either.

I am concerned about used vehicles and Chevy burning oil - Luminia needed valve job at 120,000. Been burning oil since 32,000 but dealer said that was normal - lol.
    I had a '98 Lumina LS for 3 years/75000miles. I really liked that car. Then I got a 2001 Impala LS - and I promptly forgot all about my Lumina. The Impala is far and away a superior car. Power, handling, braking, and comfort are all better in the Impala. I recently drove a base Impala and I agree with your comment on the ride - too mushy. The LS is much better.

Go with an LS and you'll be happy. I'm one of those anal people who likes to get brand new cars so my opinion on new vs. used will be totally skewed.

Good luck!
    Brad
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I drive a 2000 Impala base model with the 3.8 liter engine - which might be a good option for you, if you can find one (all the funtional goodies of the LS, but without the visual doo-dads). I might also suggest you look for a 2001 model (or at least a later 2000 model), as there were a few tweaks made after the initial year (mostly minor things like the drink holders on the front bench seats, but also more critical stuff like strengthening the welds on the aluminum engine cradle). They also improved the amp on the better stereo in 2001; the amp on the 2000 model actually seems to retard the sound for some reason.

Somewhere on the driver's door there's a sticker that shows the build month/year. We used to have sort of an unofficial date of Dec. 99 or so that we suggested avoiding anything made before - basically if you're going to get a '00 model, get one made as late in 2000 as possible - otherwise, any 2001 should be fine.

But if you could find a 2000 model in Auburn Nightmist, as far as I know you'd be the only person posting here who ever had one in that color. By far the rarest color (only used on 2000 models), and odds are it wouldn't be a hot seller as a used car either.
    Thanks nosirrahg for the info on the build of the car and other refinements of the 2001 over the 2000. I will hopefully find a reasonably priced one. Last dealer I went to said"...well we only have 3 Impalas left "...(all dealers seem to stock only 3 top end models)..."I don't know if we can waste time looking for one for you..."

Ha, like what else does he have to do all day - after all he is a car salesman. Geez - I am starting my internet search for model I want and a dealer who wants to sell cars not play sales games.
    OK so I found a "fully Loaded" 2002 Impala LS with 8,000+ miles on it. $20, 995. Salesman said it had a 39mo./39000 mile GM warranty on it. Lease return "the guy couldn't make his payments".

Also found a 2000 LS built prior to Aug. 1999 for $17580 also loaded. Salesman said it has a Fidelity 1 year warranty on powertrain...?

Which would you pick?
    Guess what - the salesman with the 2002 used Impala emailed the Carfax report to me. Single owner. Original miles 52 when registered.

Sounds more credible. Is 20,995 reasonable for this vehicle?
This discussion has been closed.