Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Owners: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your MB C-Class!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, a Mercedes-Benz chat will be available starting on March 6 and every Tuesday after, 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern. A link will be provided when it comes available.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Welcome, welcome...who will we have as the first member to post in here? :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • garykinggaryking Member Posts: 47
    Hi all,

My name is Gary, and I'm the happy owner of a 99 C280 Sport. Haven't had a single problem with my car yet. I am thinking of getting one of the "new" C-Class next year. Anybody out there that can give me a comparison?
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    ZMEENOW HERE... I HAVE A NEW C240 ALMOST READY FOR MY 1ST FREE SERVICE.. VIRTUALLY NO PROBLEMS.DRIVES GREAT..FEELS GREAT...LOOKS GREAT!
  • bubba3007bubba3007 Member Posts: 38
    Hi! I took delivery of my C240 (white, C2, A/T, C/D) on Feb 5, and within three blocks of the show room it was filthy and despite several car washes it hasn't been clean since. You just got to love Nebraska Winters. The car has over 1K miles on it already, I just can't stay out of it. Weather and breakin has kept us from a road trip yet, but just give me some temps in the 40's and we'll be off, even if only for a weekend in Kansas City.

I lurk here (at Edmunds) several times a day and the postings in the C-Class (part 6) group really helped me get through the four month wait for my new toy. I want to thank you all for the support you so kindly, if unknowingly, gave me.

Bubba
  • ea6651ea6651 Member Posts: 4
    I will take delivery on my new C320 (C2, C3, C4, Xenon, leather and Command) on 2/28. Will be my third MB I own (Owned a '96 C280 and an '86 190E 2.6)
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    Hi Everyone !! This is fantastic, what a Club ! I sure have learned alot since I first starting visiting Edmunds last November. Ordered my first MB - a C 240 6 MT Desert Silver on Nov. 8th. Took delivery on Feb. 15th. 450 miles so far and Love the automobile !! It is an absolute Dream !
    I still can't believe I am driving the C !! Was very impressed with the Dealership (Millennium MB in Bridgewater, N.J.) and to show you how small a world it is; the owner is from St. John's, Newfoundland ! where during my Canadian Navy days we made a fair number of Port visits and always had a fantastic time! He and I sat down for a really nice long chat on "President's Day" last week.
    Really looking forward to our C Class Tuesday's Chat. Thank you Edmunds and it is great meeting all the other C owners !
    Cheers, Ian
  • norcalmikenorcalmike Member Posts: 25
    Hi everyone, Mike here from northern California. I sold my SLK 4 months ago and ordered a C320 which will be "delivered" to the port of Long Beach today. Not much longer and my baby will be safely tucked away in the garage. Thanks to all the Edmund's readers who have been posting thoughts on the C Class. I know exactly what to look for on my initial check ride and pretty much what to expect.
  • newc230newc230 Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone, Aruna here from Baltimore. I have C230K 2000. I am very happy with the car. I visit Edmunds post everyday. I have learn a lot from the postings. I wish I had visited this site before buying MB. I would have saved money for cd install which I paid 900.00. and extended warranty for 2500.00. Thanks for all the info from the readers. Great site.
  • portlanderportlander Member Posts: 6
    Ordered in Sept, took delivery in Dec. I get around 19mpg. The engine is getting smoother as the miles are adding up, 700 so far. Problems encountered so far: 1) engine failure the second time I started the car after delivery due to loose air intake manifold. 2) loss of all electrical functions while the engine was still running, I mean no wiper, no turn signals, no radio, nothing moves in the instrument cluster. All this happened while I was driving on the freeway in a rainy day. 3) sunroof retracted too much and broke the sunshade. To count my blessings: 1) no brake squeak. 2) remote works fine. 3) trunk opens everytime. 4) seat doesn't seem to rock anymore. Despite all these, my wife and I like the car even though we drive her minivan more often.
  • ny74ny74 Member Posts: 15
    Finally, we have our Owner's Club...
    As far as my first MB purchasing/riding experience of C230K goes, the title shows my feeling about the car.

By the way, where are the pictures of C230K?
  • lperakislperakis Member Posts: 49
    Greeting!
    Ordered my car in late December and I bought my C320 in January after someone canceled an order. It is Silver/ash with all options except Sport package. I am most impressed with
    1. looks/style.
    2. Performance. I LOVE shifting with the auto trans. The car is fun to drive and the pick-up is great. Boy, I'd love to get a AMG C32 due out later this year with 349 hp!
    3. Voice control. Not just a gadget but a serious safety consideration when using cell phone, CD player and radio. Even my wife, the skeptic, likes it.

Issues with the car
    1. Trunk does not close easily. Needs to be adjusted but will wait until oil change is needed.
    2. No contour seat option for passenger side. Why?
    3. Gas tank is too small. Should be 18 or 19 gals. not 16.2
  • garykinggaryking Member Posts: 47
    Gee, it sounds like MB is having Chrysler do its quality control! Glad I decided to wait till next year for a new "C".
    1st year teething problems are common for all vehicles, even Japanese makes. So far the '01 C-class problems have been quite minor.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • sirus32sirus32 Member Posts: 55
    Hello...

I've been waiting since Nov 11th, but my delivery date is coming quickly. Build date for my C240(Brilliant Silver/Charcoal,C1,2,4,Bose,CD-Changer and Xenons)is the 2nd decade in March. Paid full MSRP, but got all weather floor mats and CD-Changer thrown in for free.
    -Erich
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    I was a lurker on edmunds C-Class forum for over a year before finally posting after putting the deposit on my car. I took delivery of my C320 (my first MB) on October 14th, and have been very happy with it in spite of a couple minor problems. (1) a serious static problem in the AM radio caused by a faulty connection (located in the headliner) that had to be replaced. (2) More recently, one of my two remote keys intermittently fails to lock or unlock the doors. I Love driving the car and I love the information sharing that goes on in this forum.
    Sherrill
  • sleakesleake Member Posts: 47
    Sherrill here again -- just wanted to add that I'm from Northern California.
  • jimibjimib Member Posts: 10
    Just ordered a 2001 C320 in Silver with Charcoal int. May 2001 delivery. First MB, tired of SUV,s. I want something fun to drive but practical in our Wisconsin weather. Have 4WD truck for backup. Any comments on the new style C cars? Actually for my wife! (right!).
  • lperakislperakis Member Posts: 49
    We bought a C320 (our first MB!) and it is also "my wife's car" . BUT.. the C320 is so much fun to drive, you'll be negotiating with your wife as to when YOU get to drive it. No a bad problem to have....

Its a blast to drive. The acceleration is wonderful and very comfortable on long drives. Fit and finish is what you'd expect from MB. Handling at 65 MPH is wonderful as it is in city driving.
    The tranmission is perfect for those who don't want to shift thru the gears BUT it is a kick in the butt to drive if you choose to shift thru the gears.

Regards,
    Leon
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    We finally ordered a C320 for my wife. We went with the obsidian black (metallic black) with charcoal interior + C2, C4, C6 (sports package), and xenon lights. Choosing a color was one of the biggest decisions albeit going with or without the sports package. I was hot on the brilliant silver but she wasn't. Going from a Camry, I have offered to help her get used to driving this fun car once it's delivered in the next 45 - 60 days (she doesn't buy that). What I still haven't figured out is how with 100K miles on her '96 Camry, she gets a C320 and tells me I can get a new car in two years. Folks, my '91 Honda has 230K miles on it. Somebody help me!! In any case, that gives me time to see what Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes do with their GS, 5 Series, and E Class respectively.
    We ordered a C320 with xenon lights. They look nice but more importantly are supposed to be brighter than the standard lights. Are they any club members who have experience with the xenon lights and if so, are they worth having?
  • jimibjimib Member Posts: 10
    Anybody use the new command system? Is it worth it or wait for next car when its $500. Pros/Cons?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The Edmunds.com Drivers' Opinion Panel has just launched. This initiative will further establish Edmunds.com as the voice of the consumer by becoming a key source for automotive market research. Through this initiative Edmunds.com will send traffic to the Opinion Panel promotion and registration area. Members of the panel will participate in key market research studies for Automotive OEMs and related companies on-line as opposed to more traditional market research methods.

To become a member of the panel, please visit

Drivers' Opinion Panel

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • karklinkarklin Member Posts: 15
    Hi My name is Leo-K I picked up my new C-320 last Saturday March 17 so far I am pleased can anyone tell me your experience with the C-320
    Thanks
  • sandy2020sandy2020 Member Posts: 2
    I am about to purchase a C240. I am considering the voice-activated phone. Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with the system?
    Mercedes-Benz C-Class (Part 6) under the Mercedes C Class Owners page has over 2000 postings that might be helpful to you. It is definitely a more active page with daily postings on sharing C experiences etc..

See you there
  • stoweaway_67stoweaway_67 Member Posts: 2
    I am coming up on my C230K Special Edition's 1st birthday. It has be a joy every day. With the Sports Package the car is a hoot to drive. My decision not to buy the BOW 323i was the best decision I made this year.
    Please take a look at Owner's Club Changes to offer your opinion.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• fschneckfschneck Member Posts: 5
    deciding between bmw325i & c240. intend to buy(bank & me).auto trans,cd w changer,c2 pkg. please advise!
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    Just cancelled an order for 325 and will get my C in a week and half. More to do with the dealer than the car - BMW dealers tend to have a lousy attitued here in my area so why give them my business? When spending this $ I expect a bit more than a "take it or leave it attitude".

Also, now having repeated the back-to-back on the two cars I think I will be a lot happier with the MB in terms of the "total package".

JR
    Some of you will notice that your messages from yesterday no longer exist. There was a major hiccup in the system last evening. Edmunds.com apologizes sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • rsl007rsl007 Member Posts: 7
    Hello all... have now been driving my new 320 silver Sport for a little over one week. Having been a MB owner for the past 22 years, I am very aware of any problems that pop up in new cars. So far, with about 400 miles, and meticulous examination of the car, and driving with critical eye and ear here are my thoughts, (if anyone is interested). The car was delivered with no noticeable flaws. It starts and drives beautifully. Had it on the Palasides pky here in NJ going about 60 MPH.... no tire noise, steering wheel is absolutely dead center... no annoying wind noise with the sunroof open. There was a terrible glare off the chrome MB star in the steering wheel, from the sun which was behind me at times. Very disturbing... thinking of putting some anti reflective black paint very carefully on the star...but my son is against it... for esthetic reasons I guess. The tires were delivered with exact proper pressure..30 front and 32 rear. The display system for the various functions is a little confusing at first but it is rather logical and with playing around becomes easy. The owners manual is terrible for me..instead of opening like a book which would have been so simple and easy to thumb through, it instead opens straight up like a calender and is thus very poorly designed. The contents are complete and explained reasonably well.
    Fuel milage not so good for now but should improve as break in occurs. The computer does read about 27 MPG at a steady 60, but stop and go driving drops it down to 13-15 mpg.
    The Xenon lights are fantastic..I presently have a 98 E300D and a 99 430 ML without Xenon and the lights are poor in comparison. My advice..get the Xenon!The keys work fine for now...we'll see. I like very much the fact that a display lights up brightly if a door is left open, or the hood is open or if, esp, brake and steering fluid are low. Now I know one week is short for an evaluation, but I have had cars where on the first 10 minutes after leaving the dealer found faults, flaws and problems. This car so far is perfect initally....It will be interesting to see what the next few months bring. RSL007
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your new C-class. Perhaps you could join us in one of the weekly MB Tuesday chats (6-7pm Pacific)?

FYI, you can retrofit your ML430 with the ML55's Xenon headlamps for US$1200, and they should offer you the same lighting performance as your C-class. Feel free to drop by the M-class topic in the SUV message board and ask the participants in there. Same goes for the E-class BTW, retrofits are also available.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    This week's topic:

My vehicle is better than yours because....

Brag about your ride on Tuesday, May 8, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET in the new News & Views Weekly Chat

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    MY C240 NOW HAS 13,000+ MILES.. GOT IT LAST OCT. NO SQUEAKS RATTLES.TAPS.EVERYTHING,BUMPER TO BUMPER WORKS ACCORDING TO SPECS.ITS QUIET,SMOOTH,SPORTY,YET SOPHISTICATED. CAN DRIVE ITSELF.. OT CAN BE FUN TO PLAY WITH THE SHIFT.
    MY 1ST MB.. AND IM TOTALLY SATISFIED
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Member Posts: 33
    Have had my C240 (Brilliant Silver w-Charcoal) since early November and not one problem to report. After the first few hundred miles, the engine seemed to run smoother and pick-up seemed easier.
    Love this car in every way, after getting used to it being on the small side compared to my previous rides.

Matt
    (mhs7386@aol.com)
    Is anyone out nearing the end of your lease, or maybe even not that close to the end, but are already getting offers to buy the vehicle from the lessor? It doesn't matter if you plan to take the offer or not. Does this describe your situation? If so, please post your story in our discussion Talk to the Press, or respond directly to Jeannine Fallon, our PR Director at Edmunds jfallon@Edmunds.com. As always, your identity will be protected at your request.

Thanks much!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • interwebinterweb Member Posts: 4
    I got my 2001 C320 Black I believe one of the first, if not the first Black C320, in Chicago I got it back when it was released in September 2000....

Great car. I had only these problems:

1) Drivers Side window had an air leak where noise was coming in and was heard during highway speeds.

2) They fixed that problem but then introduced a squeaky window open/close problem, which was then fixed

3) The Teleaid Alarm System one time FALSED around 2AM in the morning and we got a nice wake up call.... Well, fortunately there was no intruder.... Anyone else have a false alarm?

4) Now just yesterday I got the TELEAID VISIT SHOP SOS error message where I read about back in October. There's a computer software upgrade to fix this problem. Gotta bring it in for repair... Anyone else have this problem?

Its a great car but all these little problems?? My first Mercedes and am happy, but I expected less problems then this!

Later!
    Glad to read that you're enjoying your car. Regarding the minor problems, it's a first year model, so it's really not surprising. German makes have typically not matched the Japanese makes in terms of reliability, so if that's where you're coming from, you will have to be aware of this. The trade-off is a great driving experience, and the prestige of owning a Mercedes-Benz, of course :-)

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • interwebinterweb Member Posts: 4
    Besides the Teleaid bug I read about before are there any other bugs in the C320? I've been off these boards since October and am trying to catch up.... I saw something about a fuel filter defect in the C240 series??? Thanks!
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    I purchased my Y2K C230 Kompressor Special Edition Sport new in August of 2000 when RBM of Atlanta had a whole flock of C's on their lot - and 8 of them were Special Edition Sports! I was happy with my '95 C220 but couldn't resist the newer car - engine power was incredibly increased, options were abundant, and the price was more than right. The salesperson was awesome too!

I love driving the car everywhere, especially out in the north Georgia hills among the farms and cows. We've got some overambitious speed detection personnel though - so I'm very careful with the Kompressor! It must drive them crazy that the Silver Benz always obeys their limit. It's for other's safety though, so I really don't mind. But I do like to hear the turbine spin, especially once I get to the Interstate! :-)

The only thing I wish I had done was add in the trunk-mounted CD changer. I am looking to do this sometime this summer - does anyone have details on a most cost effective method? I did without one for 5 years in my '95 C220, and would really like to get one for this car.

I'm new to the group and it's good to see all of your postings! Looking forward to sharing info on C-Class and other MB autos, as all classes of MBs are beautiful machines and through them I continue to meet the nicest people.

Best Regards,
    - Paul_P from Kingston, Georgia
    Edmunds.com is looking for Community Leaders for MB C-Class Owners. Anyone interested? It isn't difficult and about the only thing we ask is that one CL attend the weekly chat.

Let me know!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • tschreyertschreyer Member Posts: 12
    I'll be getting in our first MB this Saturday, June 16th.

It's a desert silver/charcoal leather C240 auto, C1, C2, C4, C6 Sport. This will be our first "luxury" car and we're very excited about driving our two young daughters around in this super-safe, super-advanced, little sports sedan. I'm also eager to be driving a German-engineered vehicle again.

We're in the Lancaster, PA area. I've been reading the C-Class sedans list for some time, enjoying it, and I'm planning to share my new MB experiences with all the helpful people there.

See ya!

Tim
  • dadval1dadval1 Member Posts: 2
    we have a new C240 which, from the first day has hesitated when going slowly around a turn, then feels like it's going to stall. When accelator is pressed hard, it then lurches forward.

Anybody experiencing anything like this?
  • hensleyhensley Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a C240 black/charcoal and am very happy to see others with the same enthusiasm. I first saw my car two days ago and had not even considered it until I saw it. It does look to be a baby benz from the outside but feels bigger when driving.

See everyone in the other MB topics (I will stick to the type of forum).
  • juang1juang1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a C240 FOR A YEAR AND I HAD SOME PROBLEMS.
    ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WAS THAT THE CAR ONE DAY DECIDED NOT TO START!!!!IT WAS TAKEN IN A FLAT BED TRUCK TO SERVICE AND THE PROBLE WAS THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION SWITCH WAS INOP. ALSO IM STILL HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH KEYLESS REMOTE,SIDE WINDOW AND DRIVER SIDE WINDOW. I THINK MERCEDES SHOULD HAVE A RECALL SOON!!!!!!
  • bocaharvbocaharv Member Posts: 1
    Just got my wife new silver 320, charcoal interior. Waited 3 months as I wanted an 02. Ordered with sunroof,xenon lights.Love the cars handling.Paid full list no discount but first class dealer in Pompano Florida. Only one gripe was not told you can't get the xenon's without heated seats & headlamp washers, cost another $800 over the lights. Who needs that in Florida. Did not order CD player for $1,200 should have been standard feature but will live without it. Great car!
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Yes bocaharv,

I also have gone without the CD player - for 6 years now, in my '95 C-Class and now my '00 model. I can't see paying that kind of money for something when I can just as easily record my CDs to tapes and listen to them anyway. Besides, as I approach 40 my ears have less appreciation for the sound quality difference anyway, so it's just as well! Guess it's a matter of personal preference.

- Paul
  • missmercedesmissmercedes Member Posts: 7
    I'M MISS MERCEDES, NEW MEMBER, AND NEW OWNER OF THE 2002 C240. IT'S A BRILLIANT SILVER WITH CHARCOAL INTERIOR, FULLY EQUIPPED. I TOOK DELIVERY ON 8-20-01 AND I REALLY LOVE THE CAR. NO PROBLEM SO FAR. TODAY I RECEIVED THE CAR COVER I ORDERED WHICH COSTS ME $198.00. I PLAN TO KEEP THIS CAR FOR A LONG TIME. I WELCOME ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM THE BOARD. THANK YOU.
    MISS MERCEDES
  • missmercedesmissmercedes Member Posts: 7
    I HAVE MY BRILLIANT SILVER WITH CHARCOAL INTERIOR C240 FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS NOW. AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTION HOW TO KEEP THE INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR CLEAN. DO YOU USE A SPECIAL PRODUCT? MEMBERS OF THE BOARD, YOUR REPLY WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANKS.

NEW MEMBER, MISS MERCEDES
    Have you bought or shopped for a C-Class Mercedes since Sept 11? If so, your comments are of great interest. Please get in touch with jfallon@edmunds.com.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
This discussion has been closed.