Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• rsl007rsl007 Posts: 7
    Hello all... have now been driving my new 320 silver Sport for a little over one week. Having been a MB owner for the past 22 years, I am very aware of any problems that pop up in new cars. So far, with about 400 miles, and meticulous examination of the car, and driving with critical eye and ear here are my thoughts, (if anyone is interested). The car was delivered with no noticeable flaws. It starts and drives beautifully. Had it on the Palasides pky here in NJ going about 60 MPH.... no tire noise, steering wheel is absolutely dead center... no annoying wind noise with the sunroof open. There was a terrible glare off the chrome MB star in the steering wheel, from the sun which was behind me at times. Very disturbing... thinking of putting some anti reflective black paint very carefully on the star...but my son is against it... for esthetic reasons I guess. The tires were delivered with exact proper pressure..30 front and 32 rear. The display system for the various functions is a little confusing at first but it is rather logical and with playing around becomes easy. The owners manual is terrible for me..instead of opening like a book which would have been so simple and easy to thumb through, it instead opens straight up like a calender and is thus very poorly designed. The contents are complete and explained reasonably well.
    Fuel milage not so good for now but should improve as break in occurs. The computer does read about 27 MPG at a steady 60, but stop and go driving drops it down to 13-15 mpg.
    The Xenon lights are fantastic..I presently have a 98 E300D and a 99 430 ML without Xenon and the lights are poor in comparison. My advice..get the Xenon!The keys work fine for now...we'll see. I like very much the fact that a display lights up brightly if a door is left open, or the hood is open or if, esp, brake and steering fluid are low. Now I know one week is short for an evaluation, but I have had cars where on the first 10 minutes after leaving the dealer found faults, flaws and problems. This car so far is perfect initally....It will be interesting to see what the next few months bring. RSL007
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your new C-class. Perhaps you could join us in one of the weekly MB Tuesday chats (6-7pm Pacific)?

FYI, you can retrofit your ML430 with the ML55's Xenon headlamps for US$1200, and they should offer you the same lighting performance as your C-class. Feel free to drop by the M-class topic in the SUV message board and ask the participants in there. Same goes for the E-class BTW, retrofits are also available.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,011
    This week's topic:

My vehicle is better than yours because....

Brag about your ride on Tuesday, May 8, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET in the new News & Views Weekly Chat

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• zmeenowzmeenow Posts: 341
    MY C240 NOW HAS 13,000+ MILES.. GOT IT LAST OCT. NO SQUEAKS RATTLES.TAPS.EVERYTHING,BUMPER TO BUMPER WORKS ACCORDING TO SPECS.ITS QUIET,SMOOTH,SPORTY,YET SOPHISTICATED. CAN DRIVE ITSELF.. OT CAN BE FUN TO PLAY WITH THE SHIFT.
    MY 1ST MB.. AND IM TOTALLY SATISFIED
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Posts: 33
    Have had my C240 (Brilliant Silver w-Charcoal) since early November and not one problem to report. After the first few hundred miles, the engine seemed to run smoother and pick-up seemed easier.
    Love this car in every way, after getting used to it being on the small side compared to my previous rides.

Matt
    (mhs7386@aol.com)
    Is anyone out nearing the end of your lease, or maybe even not that close to the end, but are already getting offers to buy the vehicle from the lessor? It doesn't matter if you plan to take the offer or not. Does this describe your situation? If so, please post your story in our discussion Talk to the Press, or respond directly to Jeannine Fallon, our PR Director at Edmunds jfallon@Edmunds.com. As always, your identity will be protected at your request.

Thanks much!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• interwebinterweb Posts: 4
    I got my 2001 C320 Black I believe one of the first, if not the first Black C320, in Chicago I got it back when it was released in September 2000....

Great car. I had only these problems:

1) Drivers Side window had an air leak where noise was coming in and was heard during highway speeds.

2) They fixed that problem but then introduced a squeaky window open/close problem, which was then fixed

3) The Teleaid Alarm System one time FALSED around 2AM in the morning and we got a nice wake up call.... Well, fortunately there was no intruder.... Anyone else have a false alarm?

4) Now just yesterday I got the TELEAID VISIT SHOP SOS error message where I read about back in October. There's a computer software upgrade to fix this problem. Gotta bring it in for repair... Anyone else have this problem?

Its a great car but all these little problems?? My first Mercedes and am happy, but I expected less problems then this!

Later!
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Glad to read that you're enjoying your car. Regarding the minor problems, it's a first year model, so it's really not surprising. German makes have typically not matched the Japanese makes in terms of reliability, so if that's where you're coming from, you will have to be aware of this. The trade-off is a great driving experience, and the prestige of owning a Mercedes-Benz, of course :-)

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • interwebinterweb Posts: 4
    Besides the Teleaid bug I read about before are there any other bugs in the C320? I've been off these boards since October and am trying to catch up.... I saw something about a fuel filter defect in the C240 series??? Thanks!
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    I purchased my Y2K C230 Kompressor Special Edition Sport new in August of 2000 when RBM of Atlanta had a whole flock of C's on their lot - and 8 of them were Special Edition Sports! I was happy with my '95 C220 but couldn't resist the newer car - engine power was incredibly increased, options were abundant, and the price was more than right. The salesperson was awesome too!

I love driving the car everywhere, especially out in the north Georgia hills among the farms and cows. We've got some overambitious speed detection personnel though - so I'm very careful with the Kompressor! It must drive them crazy that the Silver Benz always obeys their limit. It's for other's safety though, so I really don't mind. But I do like to hear the turbine spin, especially once I get to the Interstate! :-)

The only thing I wish I had done was add in the trunk-mounted CD changer. I am looking to do this sometime this summer - does anyone have details on a most cost effective method? I did without one for 5 years in my '95 C220, and would really like to get one for this car.

I'm new to the group and it's good to see all of your postings! Looking forward to sharing info on C-Class and other MB autos, as all classes of MBs are beautiful machines and through them I continue to meet the nicest people.

Best Regards,
    - Paul_P from Kingston, Georgia
    Edmunds.com is looking for Community Leaders for MB C-Class Owners. Anyone interested? It isn't difficult and about the only thing we ask is that one CL attend the weekly chat.

Let me know!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• tschreyertschreyer Posts: 12
    I'll be getting in our first MB this Saturday, June 16th.

It's a desert silver/charcoal leather C240 auto, C1, C2, C4, C6 Sport. This will be our first "luxury" car and we're very excited about driving our two young daughters around in this super-safe, super-advanced, little sports sedan. I'm also eager to be driving a German-engineered vehicle again.

We're in the Lancaster, PA area. I've been reading the C-Class sedans list for some time, enjoying it, and I'm planning to share my new MB experiences with all the helpful people there.

See ya!

Tim
  • dadval1dadval1 Posts: 2
    we have a new C240 which, from the first day has hesitated when going slowly around a turn, then feels like it's going to stall. When accelator is pressed hard, it then lurches forward.

Anybody experiencing anything like this?
  • hensleyhensley Posts: 4
    Just bought a C240 black/charcoal and am very happy to see others with the same enthusiasm. I first saw my car two days ago and had not even considered it until I saw it. It does look to be a baby benz from the outside but feels bigger when driving.

See everyone in the other MB topics (I will stick to the type of forum).
  • juang1juang1 Posts: 1
    I have a C240 FOR A YEAR AND I HAD SOME PROBLEMS.
    ONE OF THE PROBLEMS WAS THAT THE CAR ONE DAY DECIDED NOT TO START!!!!IT WAS TAKEN IN A FLAT BED TRUCK TO SERVICE AND THE PROBLE WAS THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION SWITCH WAS INOP. ALSO IM STILL HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH KEYLESS REMOTE,SIDE WINDOW AND DRIVER SIDE WINDOW. I THINK MERCEDES SHOULD HAVE A RECALL SOON!!!!!!
  • Just got my wife new silver 320, charcoal interior. Waited 3 months as I wanted an 02. Ordered with sunroof,xenon lights.Love the cars handling.Paid full list no discount but first class dealer in Pompano Florida. Only one gripe was not told you can't get the xenon's without heated seats & headlamp washers, cost another $800 over the lights. Who needs that in Florida. Did not order CD player for $1,200 should have been standard feature but will live without it. Great car!
    Yes bocaharv,

I also have gone without the CD player - for 6 years now, in my '95 C-Class and now my '00 model. I can't see paying that kind of money for something when I can just as easily record my CDs to tapes and listen to them anyway. Besides, as I approach 40 my ears have less appreciation for the sound quality difference anyway, so it's just as well! Guess it's a matter of personal preference.

- Paul
  • I'M MISS MERCEDES, NEW MEMBER, AND NEW OWNER OF THE 2002 C240. IT'S A BRILLIANT SILVER WITH CHARCOAL INTERIOR, FULLY EQUIPPED. I TOOK DELIVERY ON 8-20-01 AND I REALLY LOVE THE CAR. NO PROBLEM SO FAR. TODAY I RECEIVED THE CAR COVER I ORDERED WHICH COSTS ME $198.00. I PLAN TO KEEP THIS CAR FOR A LONG TIME. I WELCOME ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM THE BOARD. THANK YOU.
    MISS MERCEDES
  • I HAVE MY BRILLIANT SILVER WITH CHARCOAL INTERIOR C240 FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS NOW. AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTION HOW TO KEEP THE INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR CLEAN. DO YOU USE A SPECIAL PRODUCT? MEMBERS OF THE BOARD, YOUR REPLY WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANKS.

NEW MEMBER, MISS MERCEDES
    Have you bought or shopped for a C-Class Mercedes since Sept 11? If so, your comments are of great interest. Please get in touch with jfallon@edmunds.com.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• avro2avro2 Posts: 6
    Sweeping synthesis, has really taken place for me as a driver. I really feel a power-shift takes place ever time a kilometer is driven in such a vehicle. 2002 Capri metallic blue, with Java leather and sports rims, makes the driving experience extremely pleasurable. Desire, to drive fills my every day life…A bewildering present for other car manufactures.
  • lew13lew13 Posts: 1
    I am expecting delivery of a new C32AMG in December. Does anyone know if the CD changer option will allow the playing of a music CD at the same time the GPS system is on? Thanks.
  • cd changer is in glove box. gps system is on dash and may be used as same time as cd changer. p.s. get ready for the ride of your life! also visit c32 life!--ignacio
  • bill124bill124 Posts: 242
    Does anyone know what happened to the CLK Boards? They are dead. Anyway, in my area, I sometimes have difficulty finding premium gas. Manual says for 2002 CLK use at least 91. Anyone put in less than 91 (or whatever the manual states to use) occasionally? If so, any adverse consequences?
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

• nikeallinikealli Posts: 1
    It's such a shame that MB's reputation is going down the drain. I also ordered my 2001 C240 in the Summer of 2000 and took delivery in October. I have had the transmission replaced then we travelled out of town and the car just died and would not start. I contacted SOS and there was no help forthcoming. After about an hour, I decided to start the engine again this time the car started. We were almost home when the engine shut off while I was still driving. I quickly pulled into a driveway. I will like to know if any owners are having these problems. Please send e-mail to oludamilola@msn.com.

Thanks,
    Nike
  • hocky1hocky1 Posts: 13
    Hi there to everyone! I have just got into the great 3 point star club and chose a used C180 to start. I hear that this model is not available in some countries like USA. I am in Melbourne, Australia. I have a simple question to ask other owners. Do their engines give out a loud crackling sound as you are accelerating the engine? What is this disturbing noise? Is it normal? Nobody here wants to admit any fault. However, I found his at 2 car yards here, one with one car and another with 3 similar cars all making the same sound. However the one at the authorised dealer never had this sound?
  • johngenxjohngenx Posts: 13
    We have in our family:

1998 C230 currently at 118,000 km. Bought new. 040 Black over black

1998 E300 turbo currently at 58,000 km. Second owner, nearly new. Smoke silver over parchment.

We have had:

1995 C36 AMG, sold to buy the E300.
    1990 190E 2.6, sold to buy the C230.
    1988 190E 2.3
    1987 190E 2.3
    1987 190E 2.3-16V
    1973 300SEL 4.5V-8
    How does your 1998 C230 compare with your 1990 190E? Are you happy with your exchange?
  • johngenxjohngenx Posts: 13
    The suspension of the W202 C-Class is significantly different from the W210 190E cars. The handling is much better. Those double-wishbones make all the difference.

The ACC works better, and the AC blows much colder than the 190E could ever muster.

The additional interior space is welcome, especially in the back seat. I found the 190E comfortable, but the C-Class is about perfect. My wife uses our E300 to commute, so it's even larger back seat is mostly wasted. But, the big diesel gets about 35US MPG, so the thing is economical to use.

The C has more safety gadgets than the 190, including side bags.

The real change is in the driveline. The DOHC four cylinder makes almost as much power as the old 2.6L six, and the car is much quicker and faster. The five-speed means better fuel economy too. The C230 gets much better gas mileage than the 190E did.

However, the four has a much more "sporty" exhaust note, and is not quite as smooth as the small six.

Some maintenance items have been improved. The oil filter is moved to the front of the engine for easy access, and the double row timing chain should outlast the single row unit in the M103.

Also, accessing things like blower motors and AC evaporators has become easier for real long haul savings. There is more room in the engine bay, thanks to the shorter engine, and someday that will pay off during things like rad replacement (all new cars have plastic rads...) and timing chain renewal.

Overall, the C-Class has been a pleasure to own. But, comparing it to the 190E isn't really fair. The 190E was designed in 1979. Things were VERY different then.
This discussion has been closed.