Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Coupe (2002 and earlier)

eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
edited March 2014 in Saab

Comments

• moondawgmoondawg Member Posts: 24
    why is it that there is such a difference in new vs.used value in a Saab?I've always liked the look.heard about the value,even have a local dealer in town.Is the car(I guess the whole line) an asset?Or is it something else?
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    "Scab must be doing something right..., two Scab models, the 9-3 and the 9-5, received top honors from EuroNCAP"

From Edmunds.com Focus on Safety section: Saab's Real-Life Crash Testing Pays Off by Scott Memmer. What do you think?

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks Message Board

Shopping for a 2001 Saab 9-3? Check out Edmunds' pricing information for the 2001 Saab 9-3 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4Cyl Turbo 5M) in their True Market Value Deals of the Week. Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks Message Board

• r34r34 Member Posts: 178
    I doubt the TMV for a Saab 9-3. I contacted several dealers. Most offers are way above the TMV ($800-$1000). The best deal I got is invoice cost - $4700 dealer incentive but it is still several hundreds higher than the TMV.
    Appreciate the feedback. I imagine TMV varies depending on what region you live in, and the availability of Saabs in your area.

Just curious, do did you actually go into the dealership... with a serious offer to buy? Please keep us posted if/when you do make a saab 9-3 purchase. Thanks. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board
    Host
  • danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    I don't understand what r34 means. Edmunds TMV is $21,146, Edmunds invoice is $25,132, Invoice - 4700 = $20,432. Thats almost $700 LESS than TMV. What prices were you quoted? (I'm assuming we're talking about the base 4door here.)
  • 4banging4banging Member Posts: 3
    Just about a month ago bought a loaded 2001 9-3 SE 5dr auto for $28,200, or about $7K less than MSRP.

The TMV clued me into the discount, but it didn't factor in all the options properly (I forget how I deduced this.)

This was a NO HAGGLE price that the salesman offered after a test drive and serious interest and intelligent questions were asked.

That meant that the out-the-door price with tax and tags a tad under $30K, which was my wife's target price-point for a new vehicle.

From what we pieced together, the midrange SEs (between base and the Viggen) are only coveted by Saab loyalists if they come with 5-sp, which is evidently rare. That leaves Saab and GM hoping that Mr. and Mrs. Slightly Upscale Middle America stumble into the showroom. GM doesn't want to take any chances and doesn't believe in "protecting the brand," hence the steep discounts.

The addition of traction control for '01 really addressed a competitive fault for the 9-3s and the deals make the car well worth a look for anyone in the market for a euro sports sedan. Plus a full year of premium OnStar service is a nice bonus, especially if phone service is offered in your area.

Have already had the following exchange with a recent Volvo buyer: "Twenty eight thousand? Are you sure it's not a 2000? 205 horses? Mine only has 185."

Like the car better everytime I get in it.
    danjaecks:

May be I got confused or I used the MSRP - $4700. Anyway, the best offer I got is at invoice cost - incentive, which is $25100 for a fully-loaded auto base 9-3. I am not sure whether the TMV for the options are accurate.

If the salesman tells me the truth, then $29800 is his invoice price ($25100 + $4700), which is already $184 higher than Edmunds' invoice price (other dealers told me they had higher invoice prices too). That guy may gain profit by the 2-3% dealer holdback (~ $800 ??)

I just wonder if anyone can get closed to the TMV for a similiar equipped base 9-3 (TMV +/- $300).
  • danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    I understand now, I didn't realize that Edmunds had a TMV price for each option as well as for the base car itself.
    As far as the $184 invoice price difference, I know that some car makes have regional advertising, administration or port fees that are added onto the invoice price that Edmunds (or other organizations) report. These are legitimately part of the invoice price the dealer pays. $184 actually is low compared to fees I've seen at other makes.
    Sorry I can't help with your question about getting closer to TMV, I'm just at the thinking stage myself. (Although $25100 sounds like a good price.)
    I know what I really did now.

Saab has 2.2% Dealer holdback on the BASE MSRP (I assume it is 2.2% on a no-option base 9-3).
    Base MSRP x 2.2% = $26,995 x 2.2% = $593.89.

Edmunds' invoice cost is $29,616. After the $4,700 incentive = $24,916.

After I substract the Dealer Holdback amount ($593.89) from the final invoice cost ($24,916), I got $24,322.11, which is still $55.11 higher than Edmunds' $24,267 TMV.

It seems likes if the dealer sells me the car at TMV, the dealer will suffer a loss. If TMV is what most/average people paid for this car, that means many dealers didn't make profit on this car.

I was told some dealers may have high-volume sales incentive from Saab/GM but I still doubt a dealer will sell the car at TMV.
  • shaboom1065shaboom1065 Member Posts: 3
    I just ordered a brand new '01 9-3 for April delivery. $4700 below invoice. No dealer profit beyond hold back. It can't get any better.
    Looks like you got a great deal! We look forward to hearing more about your purchase and ownership experience.... Happy Motoring! ;-)

To Everyone- To respond Post 10# "I didn't realize that Edmunds had a TMV price for each option as well as for the base car itself."

For those that are not aware, Edmunds has a TMV New Vehicle appraiser which add up your vehicle costs including all your options. For future reference, you'll find links to this tool in Edmunds' Advise section, or on the indivual vehicle pages in Edmund's new/used vehicle guides.

Also, here's more about Edmunds' True Market Value. A couple notes about TMV from this page: "When buying a new car from a dealer, a price close to TMV is a fair price." and "actual transaction prices may vary from individual dealer to dealer."

Hope this is helpful. Happy Shopping!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board

• scribble1scribble1 Member Posts: 1
    I am puzzled. I have been interested in buying a Saab 9-3 since Thanksgiving. I've seen MSRP prices and dealer incentives go all over the map in that time. Edmund's 21K TMV price is a good one-- but I just went to a Broker on this site that quoted me $27K for the same car. This near-MSRP price is just too high, no matter what the incentives have been over the last six months. There appears to be no way to even discuss price with that broker-- I can take their near-MSRP price or I can go fish. I've looked at quotes from two other Internet brokers, that were about the same.

A week ago, I tried a different broker (a MAJOR site) that requires a Dealer to respond to me personally-- and I got no response from ANY dealer through that site. This was before anyone knew what price I might think reasonable, or that I am willing to pay cash if I have to, to get the car I want. When I sent email to them noting my experience, my email was ignored.

I believe that Edmund's has calculated a fair TMV price for a Saab 9-3-- but it is 25% below the price I get elsewhere-- which is itself way out of line. And through it all, I can't get anyone from a Saab dealership to send email, phone me, or otherwise acknowledge my existence.

This is nuts.

Somebody tell me where to go and what to say, in order to wheedle Saab into taking my money and giving me a new Saab 9-3. Thanks.
  • ckenedickenedi Member Posts: 16
    It is a bizzare time to be buying a Saab. The problem is that Saab needs to keep its plant running and to keep a market presence with a car that is priced way to high (at the levels of BMW and Audi entry levels.) The Saab lacks their refinement/ interior appointment and design, except in the ability to deliver controlled power.

So Saab wants to sell cars without discounting its marquee/ name recognition/ brand placement. So it has kept the prices at 27+, but is offering 4700 in dealer incentives - technically if the dealer sells the car at "invoive" they are making the $4700 + the what is left of the holdback.

Automated internet quote systems are not flexible enough to handle this situation so they won't be of much help. I tried several.

What worked very well was searching for Saab dealers, based on reports in edmunds Town hall and Saabnet.com and emailing them. I also emailed some in a few places I though it would be fun to take a road trip to or where I had family/ friends.

Some didn't reply, but a lot did. When dealing with salespeople from different states, be sure to get quotes with ALL dealer fees but NO Tax/title/ registration costs as these will vary.

The edmunds TMV is pretty accurate, but it takes some work to get it. Edmunds invoice prices are also a little old and I think they are a few hundred dollars too low. Try the TMV program on edmunds and build the car with the exact options you want and include delivery charges. That is about what I paid.

CK
    Its bad enough having the 9-3 schizo b/t sedans and hatch. But why are there 2 hatchback discussions.

How about consolidating the 9-3 hatchbacks (or specifying one for the 900, one for the 9-3). And put a note in the sedans to "goto the hatchback discussion" with a link, like you already have.
    These are all ongoing discussions that I've inherited. I'm working on the situation. I'm at least trying to consolidate the one from Sedans over to this board. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board
  • bbrandlebbrandle Member Posts: 6
    Right now they have the "Only in the USA" style 2.9% financing for up to 60 mos. Can you get the TMV using the Dealer incentive AND get the 2.9%? If so, I'm shopping tomorrow. Please enlighten.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    Saw some spy photo's of the new 9-3. Looks somewhat like the Lexus IS. Dash and interior look very simular to todays model, but body is completely new. Autoweek states a 4 door, 5 door hatchback and convertable will be offered the first year. Hope a Viggen is in the works.
    No its 4700 or 2.9% or 2000 cap cost reduction and 2% money factor for a lease - you c/n mix and match.

The $4700 is pretty sweet however. Most of the dealers can offer alternative financing around 7.5% and you should check your credit union.

Chris K
  • msievemsieve Member Posts: 9
    My Volvo S70 GLT is coming off lease, was going to keep it till I found out about the big dealer incentives, and being a former satisfied Saab owner, I investigated. Made some calls, visited a couple of dealerships here in Minnesota, and I got a no haggle price of 26,413 for a loaded 9-3 SE 5 dr, 5 spd. Called a dealer in Florida (I'm going there in April) and they gave me a 27,600 price on an automatic, over the phone. That car lists over 34,800. These prices are before tax, title and license, but they're awfully good for this car. Just make some calls, and plan to pay 22-23% less than MSRP. You'll get your car. Good luck.
  • sstrzsstrz Member Posts: 3
    Lots of discussions here on price - I just took delivery (this March) of a 4-door, base 9-3. I got every available option: automatic, moon roof, leather, heated seats, metallic paint. Via em-ail to my local dealer, I got this car at DEALER INVOICE LESS $4700. It was an easy sale (I never went to the dealership other than to pick up the car - I gave them a deposit on my credit car over the phone) It's a great car and price.
    It sounds like you had the ideal purchase experience. Thanks for sharing your story with us. It's especially helpful when people let us know what area they made their purchase in....

We look forward to hearing more about your Saab 9-3 ownership experience. Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board
  • bg750bg750 Member Posts: 4
    I researched and tried to figure out best pricing, got a price from a dealer in Ann Arbor MI. 2001 93 5dr with leather, sunroof, and heated seats $23,643 plus tax. That is for a black one with sand interior. Does this sound fair, after researching internet, I came up with a price of 23,673 so I beat my best calculation. Any comments welcomed. Thanks.
    Do you live in Ann Arbor? How has your experience at Goodman been?

Your deal seems great. Goodman will add a $40 documentation fee. A lot of the Michigan dealers seem to do it. I didn't fight it as they are not exactly making a killing on the Saab. Is yours a manual or automatic?
    I live in Grand Haven, dealt with three different dealerships. One in Grand Rapids, guy was $800 higher, and was rude. He actually told me to go some place else. Weird? Talked to a dealer in Chicago offered me 24,000. Goodman gave best deal (23643) and in the same state. That was priced with a manual and the features I listed. Thanks for the response.
  • fsujesterfsujester Member Posts: 2
    I received the same deal in South Florida, $23462, for a 9-3 5Speed with leather, cd, sunroof, heated seats (not like I will be needing them), etc. They offered a 7.2% financing rate also. What about you?
    It looks like the manufacturer is giving the dealers a huge incentive to move 2000 and 2001 models off the lot for the upcoming 2002 models.
    Looks like a good deal. I will most likely buy the Saab this week.
  • 4banging4banging Member Posts: 3
    Just about a month ago bought a loaded 2001 9-3 SE 5dr auto for $28,200, or about $7K less than MSRP. Saabs are fairly popular here in suburban DC, so I count this as a good deal.

The TMV clued me into the discount, but it didn't factor in all the options properly (I forget how I deduced this.)

This was a NO HAGGLE price that the salesman offered after a test drive and serious interest and intelligent questions were asked.

That meant that the out-the-door price with tax and tags a tad under $30K, which was my wife's target price-point for a new vehicle.

From what we pieced together, the midrange SEs (between base and the Viggen) are only coveted by Saab loyalists if they come with 5-sp, which is evidently rare. That leaves Saab and GM hoping that Mr. and Mrs. Slightly Upscale Middle America stumble into the showroom. GM doesn't want to take any chances and doesn't believe in "protecting the brand," hence the steep discounts.

The addition of traction control for '01 really addressed a competitive fault for the 9-3s and the deals make the car well worth a look for anyone in the market for a euro sports sedan. Plus a full year of premium OnStar service is a nice bonus, especially if phone service is offered in your area.

Have already had the following exchange with a recent Volvo buyer: "Twenty eight thousand? Are you sure it's not a 2000? 205 horses? Mine only has 185."

Like the car better everytime I get in it.
    We all look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience.... ;-)

Hi everyone- If anyone owns, or has insights about the Saab 900, we look forward to seeing you in our Saab 900 discussion . Perhaps someone has a moment to answer Benjiman's question over there about Saab maintenance costs? Thanks.

And now back the discussion of the Saab 9-3. Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks Message Board

• bobyk1bobyk1 Member Posts: 4
    Which delearship in nj did you use? I was searching for some and I found about 7 of them from the saabfinder site located all over. (Am in the princeton area and we have one here but always good know others to shop around).

Is the 4700 incentive still going on? Just wondering if anyone knows when they will be ending.(or if they already have)

Thanks.:)
    While you're waiting for a response here, you could check with Edmunds.com's Regional Incentives, Rebates and Leases to see what's kind discounts are available in your state.

Also, it's not a bad idea to check back there periodically, for any updates on that information... Good luck and keep us posted.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board

• fsujesterfsujester Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any info on the maintenance costs for for a 9-3?
  • mfarmer2mfarmer2 Member Posts: 67
    I know that www.intellichoice.com offers detailed information on vehicle maintenance costs. It's more likely that you'll find that information in their used vehicle instead of the new ones, since they usually don't have enough data for new ones. If they don't have it for the 2001's, try looking at the 99 Saab 9-3's or earlier. That might give you a good idea for the newer ones. Hope this is helpful.

Mary
    I was going to purchase the Saab I described in message 24 and 26. But my sales person Mercedes in Ann Arbor after calling her numerous times all of a sudden told me she could not get me the car. She seemed to give the impression that it was no problem. She even said that she called and left message. Message never received, she basically wasted my time. Would not reccomend. Put down payment on one in Chicano at Perillo Saab, talk to a sales man David there. Called back and gave same deal and a little better financing. Car should be here in a couple of weeks. I will post how everything turns out. Thanks
  • shaboom1065shaboom1065 Member Posts: 3
    My new 9-3 for invoice less $4700 rebate will not be delivered to dealer until mid-April. He claims to have frozen the $4700 incentive for me even if it is discontinued for April, when I take delivery. Can I rely on this. He showed me a Saab form called the Buyer Protection Plan for this purpose. Am I safe?
  • floppymfloppym Member Posts: 3
    I received the following quote from the local dealership here in Santa Clara, CA:

9-3 5-Door(325)
    > Manual Transmission
    > Midnight Blue Metallic Paint
    > Sand Beige Classic Leather
    > 2-Way Power Glass Sunroof
    > Plus, Front Heated Seats.

> Invoice price $29188.00
    > Incentive - $4700.00
    > =$24488.00
    > Dealer profit + $609.00
    > YOUR SELLING PRICE=$25097.00
    > + 45.00 Doc. Fee.
    > $2011.36 Tax
    > $371.00 D.M.V.(Lic. and Reg. for one Year)
    > =$27529.36 YOUR PRICE OUT THE DOOR.

I didn't buy the car, but I'm wondering about the listed invoice price. Is it accurate? This was on March 5th that the quote was made. The invoice listed is higher than what it listed at Edmunds and other places, but I had read another poster here who stated that invoice prices were raised in March. Raising invoice midyear seems really weird to me, especially since MSRP was unchanged.
    It sounds about a $1000 high.
    This was a bit surprising as I found out that base models are not shipped over to usa. You have at least one option if not a couple mixed and matched. I was seeking a solid black(or white or red)no metallic, with the auto option and thats it. But 99% you have the sunroof option there or the leather or the heated seat or the metallic paint mixed in. Any reason why the base models dont make here or unless the dealership guy had some misinformation.
  • cbestardcbestard Member Posts: 2
    I see a lot of discussion about the $4700 dealer rebate, but I'd like to see something in writing. Where is this info posted and how long is it good for? I'm in SC and ready to move on a 9-3 if this deal is still in effect. Also, can anyone tell me if you can get the incentive and then use the resulting price for a lease? Thanks.
    I beleive the 4700 incentive has been in effect for some months from what I heard from the dealership person I was at a few nights ago. He actually used it when calculating the price and stuff.
    Does anyone know the 0-60 time for AUTO base 9-3 and AUTO 9-3 SE ? I found 5-speed time but I couldn't find the auto time.

Also, do I need to let the engine runs for a while before turning it off ?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    can you tell me the 5-spd times?

thanks.

Oh. and, from what I understand about turbos, yes, you have to run it a while in the low rpm range before shutting down. Its to cool the turbo off. Same when starting, you want to warm it up before spooling the turbo up.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• dhinchidhinchi Member Posts: 2
    Was the car you ordered from Perillo a demo? They offered me a 2001 with 5000 miles for 23,900. I like your deal a little better! What kind of financing did you get?
    qbrozen:

I think somewhere (Auto channel ??) say it is around 7.5s for a base 9-3 5-speed. An auto 900 (170hp ? 185 hp ?) is not much slower than that, I assume the new 9-3 base auto is around 8s.....

The Saab salesman told me they don't make any profit on accessories. He suggested me to order it from the Saab website. Is it true ? The website says those prices are MSRP and the dealers may charge differently...

The dealer also charge me $45 doc. fee (license ??) and $10 for out-of-towner fee because I lived in another state....
    What kind of free gifts did you get when you got your 9-3 ?
  • cbestardcbestard Member Posts: 2
    I wouldn't have known about the $4700 incentive were it not for the posts on this board. I just walked away with a 01' 9-3 w/leather, metallic, heated seats, and sunroof for $24K even-what a deal!! It was a no haggle deal, I asked for the full $4700 off and told them their profit was in the 2.2% holdback (apparently it's 3% in SC). Sold! I bought from Rick Hendrick Saab in Charleston, SC, and they were super.
    Sounds like you had a good purchase experience; thanks for sharing the details. We look forward to hearing more about your Saab 9-3 ownership experience. Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • sstrzsstrz Member Posts: 3
    Hey bobyk1 -

You're in luck if you are in the Princeton area - I got my Saab this month from your friendly dealership on Route 206 via e-mail as earlier reported - dealer invoice, less $4700 - no haggle! Good luck!
    bg750 - I ended up buying my 9-3 from "Mercedes" at Goodman Saab. Other than a few minor difficulties and the fact that the car she found for me was in NJ (I am going out to get it tomorrow), it was pretty good. The finance/closer guy was actually quite pleasant and patient. I had the same thing happen that you did - we agreed on a price and then she called back and said she couldn't get a red base manual.

I was then planning to buy a red/beige w/o roof, in Erie OH, but the dealer w/n come down on the accessories and I wanted to negotiate them into the price of the car. Several other dealers were willing to sell them at 50-60% as part of the deal.

The best deal I found was with a nice salesman named Ken in Southfield, MI - Glassman, Saab. But he only had a black or silver and I really wanted red or maybe blue. but he was offering 22,638 + tax, tile, doc fee ($40) for 9-3 5spd w hotseats and roof.

Mercedes however called back and said she had found a car that was exactly like what I wanted: red 9-3, grey interior, 5 speed, heated seats and roof for $22,8 +tax and including four accessories (retail value $325. Part of the deal was that I have to get it in NJ, but I'm thinking it will be a fun drive home.

As an FYI, I have called or emailed over 30 dealers from Maine to Florida to Iowa looking for a red manual base 9-3 at a good price. Many dealers w/n negotiate near the price I recieved. Although there are only a few red ones on the east coast or in the midwest.

So wish me luck as I go out to get it and good luck getting yours from Perillo.

Chris
  • sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    No problem, Are you aware that the market place no longer accepts private ads for autos? Where else would you suggest?
    I just got my new Saab on last Sat. I like it. I got the car at invoice price - $4700 incentive and I received 6.85% simple interest loan from a third-party bank.

The car is a base automatic. If I drive it in city with Normal mode, the car doesn't like to go before the turbo kicks in. Once it excesses 2000rpm or it is on highway, it is quick. The leather used in the car is the best, better than the one in Japanese cars, Passat, and A4. The center console, armrest storage area, and cup-holders are not very good. Some plastics used in the car are liked some GM cars (20% US/Canadian parts). I am still ok with that.

I have 2 problems:

1. Both key remotes are not good for teh alarm/lock. The owner's manual said the range is 5-7 yards but I have to get closed to the car for 1-2 feets to get it work.

2. Wind noise seems to be a common problems. Although I closed all windows, trunk, and sunroof, there is a cabin noise that sounds like air (whistling) through a slightly opened window while I was driving. It came from the driver side.
This discussion has been closed.