Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz C-Class Prices Paid

Comments

• alicenmercedesalicenmercedes Member Posts: 3
    Hello, everyone?
    I currently own 2000 Audi TT, and I've had a difficult time with this car so far. I am tired of taking it to the service besides for the regular check-up, and I have decided to get C230 Kompressor Sedan.

I live in Chicago, and there are quite a number of MB dealers around the area. I am planning to purchase a car within 2~3 weeks. I am going to trade-in my Audi and make a downpayment (Approx. $15,000) to cover a major portion of the take-out price.

Although I do not have strong preference in colors, I prefer silver/ash leather.
    In addition, I would like to select the following options, if possible; these selections are negotiable: (The following order is ranked according to the preference, strongest to weakest.)

1) Entertainment Package (6CD's; Not particularly interested in upgraded sound system)
    2) Sunroof Package
    3) Heated Front Seats
    4) Lighting Package
    5) Power Dr Seat/Steering Col w/ Memory

What could be the reasonable take-out price range for my choice?

I am in mid-20's, but when people see me, they think I am still a highschool student. I am anxious that I might get ripped off, so I really really need your help! Then, I will just insist on the reasonably set price with confidence.

Thanks! :)
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Hi Alice, I am in Maryland and drove this exact same car with an automatic and in black. I loved the way in looked and handled. The sticker price was $36,870. The invoice is $34,340. The dealer said that he can take about 2k off. So I guess a good ballpark figure would be about that. If I was really serious, I would see if he would sell it for $34,500 since the 06's are a month or so away. After driving it, the interor felt really tight, and I don't like where the window switches are located. Everything else, I could live except where the window switches were located. Hope this helps! :)
    If I purchase a 2005 C320 4matic, of which sticker price is about $45,000, for the take-out price of $41000, would it be considered as a fair deal in this time of year? (In my state, the sales tax is 8.75%.)

The following is the description of the said car as long as I can remember:

Silver exterior/Black leather&upholstery
    Sunroof package
    6 CD changer

(Many options are standard with C320 compared to 230/240.)
  • andrew8198andrew8198 Member Posts: 2
    Alice,

I live in Chicago and just bought a c240 4Matic. I did all my negotiating over the phone and by email. The dealers were willing to give me the car for invoice less any dealer bonus/payments they received. Thus, when I bought my car in July I got $1000 dealer rebate plus $1000 because I financed through MB. This amount was subtracted from the invoice. Two dealers were willing to make the same deal with me, but I ended up going to Michael Mango at Loeber because I had dealt with Loeber before and they do not try to screw you in the end. You should just check what the rebates being offered are on this site and send emails to the dealers. They will all respond quickly and are willing to negotiate. I still have people emailing me four weeks after I bought the car.
    I have a question for you, do the power window switches bother you in any way/ I was thinking about a c230 but the locatrion of the switches totally threw me off.
    Dear Andrew,

I got my car from Loeber as well :)

I once got an offer of $32,700 excluding tax and documentation fee for C240 4matic with the following options:

Power Dr. Seat
    Sunroof Package
    6CD

But I've decided to go with C320 4matic instead. I am very much satisfied with its performance overall. I know that there is a dealer rebate of $2500 going on for C320, and I am not sure if my deal was good or fair. I don't think it was a bad deal at all at least, but I was just curious. I got about $7000 off MSRP at the end. Overall, I have been very much satisfied with Loeber's service.

Thanks for your reply.
  • esungesung Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

The following is the best offer I have received so far in Southern CA, please tell me if it is a good deal....Thanks!!

C230K sedan
    Options -
    1) Metallic Paint
    2) Sunroof Package
    3) 6 disc CD changer

The total cost (including taxes and all applicable fees) is $32,500.
  • gallileogallileo Member Posts: 51
    Without knowing your tax rate, it's hard to say. But assuming your tax rate is about 8%, that's a reasonable deal. The dealer is making a little money (as well they should), but you aren't getting taken either.
    Thanks for your feedback. Since the 2006 C230k is coming out in August, would I get a better deal if I wait? The price has been lowered to $32,400 (out the door)...around $29,725 without taxes and fees. MSRP is $33,250.
    sorry, MSRP is $34,250 and invoice is $31,905...thanks!
    So you are getting this car for 2k under invoice? If that is it, I'd go for it!. Question for you, does the location of the power window switches bother you? If it wasn't for that, I'd have bought a c230 a couple weeks ago.
  • jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    That is a good price..... I kind of like the window switches location. Some cars have them right on the armrest, which is uncomfortable for me. I also much prefer them on the door instead of the center console.
  • acidic36acidic36 Member Posts: 2
    the 2006 c230s msrp actually went down $50 instead of up, which was expected due to the move to v6's.......... :P :)
  • acidic36acidic36 Member Posts: 2
    pricing was released today.... call ur MB dealer for details.. i just ordered a c230
    -navigation
    -7 speed automatic
    -sirius sat.
    -lthr inserts
    -sport package comes std.....
    msrp 33,500 , and im getting 1700 off that...this is in tx..
  • kronogoosekronogoose Member Posts: 116
    Window switches? V6? What are the changes for the 2006 C230K? Is there a forum on Edmunds I can check?

Thanks.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Try our regular Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans discussion. That's where you'll generate the most interest.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lrs72lrs72 Member Posts: 2
    Went to a dealer yesterday to look at a 2005 230K lease. I looked at the following vehicle
    C230K
    -Lighting Package
    -Heated Seats
    -Sunroof Package
    -Metallic Paint
    -TeleAid Package
    -Automaitc

This is what they offered:
    MSRP: $36,120
    Base Cap Cost: $32,111
    Down Payment: $4,000
    Adjusted Cap: $28,111
    Term: 39 Months
    Residual: 58%
    Tax: 7.9%
    Total Monthly Payment: $423

Is $423 about right? I'm only willing to put about half as much down as they are asking for.
  • rcivic97rcivic97 Member Posts: 1
    I'd say 423 is a little high. I would push into the 300's. It's being done here in NC with around the same amount down payment.
  • duke3636duke3636 Member Posts: 3
    FYI... just leased a C230K yesterday (suburbs of Chicago) for $350 p/m with 4500 down (this includes the first month payment) for 39 months.... Sticker was $35,480.
  • duke3636duke3636 Member Posts: 3
    this includes 15,000 miles a year too.
  • coopdogg1coopdogg1 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking to purchase before the month is over with the following options.

-Lighting Package
    -Heated Seats
    -Sunroof Package
    -Metallic Paint
    -Auto Transmission
    -Entertainment Package

I'm in Maryland and would like to hear price quotes from others in the area. Thanks
    I'm in MD also. Herb Gordon MErcedes had this same exact car about a month and a half ago. that is when I test drove it. It was in Obsidian black and had a MSRP of $36,870 I believe. I think invoice was $34,340. He was willing to go at or near invoice. Never got deep into negotiations as I was disapointed in the location of the power window switches. Everything else was perfect.
  • coopdogg1coopdogg1 Member Posts: 5
    Kennynmd, I really appreciate the info, I will post my findings. :shades:
  • c280manc280man Member Posts: 7
    I plan to buy a C280 when they become available. Does anyone have a recommendation of a dealer in or around Houston (within 150 miles) that prices their cars aggressively? What price should I expect in relation to MSRP and invoice?
  • c280manc280man Member Posts: 7
    Good question. I hope someone has some information for you.
  • fmpfmp Member Posts: 9
    Hi, does anyone know if either of these cars have hit dealers in Northern NJ/NYC area yet? Thanks.
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Member Posts: 33
    I had pleasant experiences there. Very professional. I also had a great salesman the.The fact that I eventually switched to a Lexus ES300 had nothing to do with this dealership. I just believe the C class Mercedes is for people who are desperate to drive a Benz. The 230 and 240's are terribly under-powered. Just too much money for the car just to get that symbol on your hood.
  • a1max1a1max1 Member Posts: 1
    MD

2006 c230 sport sedan - $27,055
    blk on blk leather(inserts)
    324 sunroof package - $1665
    275 power driver seat - $558
    420 6 disk
    600 - heated seats
    1293- automatic

i paid:
    31625 + TTL
    :)
  • pwcarswellpwcarswell Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying my first MB. My husband and I test drove it today as well as several other brands of cars. It was great! It had the smallest interior of all the cars we drove but definitely was the most fun. MSRP was 37,500 for silver, sunroof package, light package, 6 CD, cell pre-wire, 60/40 rear seat. What type of price should I really be looking at? I really didn't need the light package or the cell phone wiring but the 60/40 rear seat was a must. The dealer also mentioned a $1000 for the protection package. Do I need it? How is the pricing?
  • newownernewowner Member Posts: 18
    I am also looking at the C280 but with 4-Matic. Since the MSRP is 37,500, you can generally take $3k off that to get near invoice price. I would look it up on Kelly Blue Book. Mercedes is having a hard time right now trying to bring there quality standards up to par with the rest of the market. I would pay invoice price and no more than $500 over invoice. Of course they will tell you the car is in demand but so is every new car, until the next years better and bigger models come out. The Protection Package is a joke. It is pure profit for the dealer. They will try to sell that and many other things in the F&I office. Remember, if those extra packages were necessary, don't you think Mercedes would include them by now??? Every dealer tries to sell those add ons, which are absolutely un-necessary. Good luck on your new purchase.
  • jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    The actual invoice on this C280 with an MSRP of $37500 would be between $34930 and $35430, depending on the particular dealers IRG charge. This means they have a markup of $2070 to $2600. I would think that $500 over would buy the car. Forget the protection package. Be very firm in your refusal. And if the car has options you don't want or need, perhaps the dealer can locate or order one for you. You should only pay for the car, a reasonable documentation fee, tax, license and registration. Good luck....Terrific car.
  • chrisjoochrisjoo Member Posts: 27
    I have a question about Mercedes ED program. I know for a fact that with Bimmers, some dealers will negotiate the price so customers can get one for below the 7% official discount. Did anyone get a Mercedes below the 7% official discount rate? I called Mercedes USA and they told me that's fixed. I wonder if there's a dealership willing to negotiate for ED purchase. If the 7% is fixed, it doesn't make sense to get one through ED, because I can usually get one for near invoice. One more thing, is there ED consulting services for Mercedes like Eurobuyers for BMW?
  • 2006c2302006c230 Member Posts: 5
    I do not know much about ED, but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy here? By the time you add air fares, hotel, and all of the costs associated with the trip, I think that will end up costing more?

Unless you are going to visit Germany anyway.

By the way, is there a extra charge for the shipping it to US?

YR :shades:
    It would be cheaper to but the car in the US. There are dealerships that will sell at invoice or a little over. You are right, by the time you add the traveling expenses, you are really paying more, unless of course it's a vacation. I should be taking delivery of my '06 280 4Matic this week. I'm getting it for invoice, but that took me a lot of calling around. It was time consuming but I feel it will be well worth it. My understanding is that MB will ship the vehicle as part of the price. If you haven't driven the '06, you are in for a treat. I compared it to the '05 C class along with the new '06 BMW 3 series. I was so impressed with the flawless engine in this years models. For the price, I think MB offers a good combo. of luxury and performance.
  • benzgeekbenzgeek Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone dealt with having to pay an additional $500 advertising fee for 06 c230's? I find that a little high compared to BMW's 1% MACO fee.

BTW, I've been getting offers of $1000 below invoice and another has offered to beat that on a new 06 c230 (SF Bay Area).
    I'm hoping to take delivery of my '06 C280 4Matic sometime this week. I am getting it for invoice. I'll check into that advertising fee when they give me the exact #'s. I have invoice printed out from this site so it should be an exact match. MB must have some sort of incentive for you to get it below invoice.
  • cvpacvpa Member Posts: 1
    Two Questions:

1) What happened to the "Kompressor"? Was that just the C230 05 version?

2) What are some leasing programs that people have experienced including Residual, Money Factor, and MSRP Discount? Beacon: 804

Thanks. I'll post my experience.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    "Kompressor" was German for a super-charged engine.. Mercedes now has V-6 naturally aspirated engines, instead of the super-charged four-cylinder...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• freq1freq1 Member Posts: 3
    hi could you please tell me the name of the dealership and sales person that worked with you?
    thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    Sorry.... if you look below, you'll see that we don't allow salesperson's names in this forum....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

sorry about that. :blush:
    2005 C230WZ (kompressor) Sedan
    5 Speed Automatic
    Metallic Paint
    Heated seats
    Sunroof Pkg
    Price 35,245.00 (taxes and all fees included)
    not including $2000.00 cash back from factory. I know there are better deals out there any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
  • jason18jason18 Member Posts: 3
    5 Speed Automatic
    Pewter metallic Paint w/black leather inserts
    Sunroof Pkg
    6-disc changer

$30,200 out of the door. Interest of the loan from my own bank is not included.
    How is the deal?
  • dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    After scouring the boards for several weeks, I'm seriously thinking of replacing my 2004 Volvo S60 with the 2006 C280. I've recently moved from Maryland to the Chicago area - and don't know much about the dealerships or flexibility around here.

When I bought my Volvo 2 years ago; I got it for roughly invoice. The S60R was selling near full price because of demand outstripping supply, but the S60 was the other way around - so they were willing to bend.

For the C280, as its new, I don't know - have dealers been willing to discount the 'normal' amount - to place it around $500-$750 above invoice? Also... I live closest to Mercedes-Benz of Arlington Heights (formerly Mark Motors) - although certainly willing to shop around. Given the size of Chicago; I saw some earlier postings that Loeber Motors worked well for people. Any helpful suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Don't know anything about the Chicago market, but on the West Coast, your goal of $500-750 over invoice would be considered fair, or in some places, more than fair.

And I think the C280 is a positively superb package. While a bit tighter inside than your S60 [but not by much], the way the car behaves on the road, especially with the new drivetrain, will make you glad you made the change. We just got back from a 4000 mile trip in our C240 [an '02], and boy, I'm in love with this car all over again. BUT, I'm still thinking about a trade for the C280 because the new engine-trans combination is just so great.
  • styles1styles1 Member Posts: 1
    Leasing an '06 C230 in Scottsdale, AZ. Just waiting for them to find the car I want. It may take a few days to get it here. I was told that I would get it for $500 over invoice. I was comparing invoice to edmonds.com or KBB. So the #'s I ran were based on that. The salesman said the invoice was $600 over that figure because of the advertising fees they pay that you mentioned. So now I am about to pay that as well as the $500 over invoice. On top of that, they want to charge me for half of the shipping charges to get the car here from Cali ($250 or so). I told him their was no way I would pay that. They should have the car I want on the lot. He's charging me then $500 over invoice on Edmunds + $600 advertising fee + $195 title fee + 895 lease acquisition. Money factor of .0031 and 63% residual for 12k miles. This is based on fairly perfect credit. Let me know your thoughts on this deal before I sign the final papers. I appreciate your thoughts.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    This illustrates perfectly why I do not believe in "$ over invoice" offers. Calculate the price you want to pay in hard $, and either stick to it or walk away. Invoice can be anything the dealer wants it to be - yes, there are legit advertising fees that vary by region, and Edmunds warns you [I think] that these are not included in their "invoice" numbers. As for transportation charges on a dealer trade - I don't do dealer trades...if they can't lay their hands on the car in a couple of days, I'd rather find a dealer with the car I want, or negotiate over something they have available. I've had bad experiences with dealer trades - the car arrives, has a defect I can't live with, and then both the dealer and I feel stuck.

The lease numbers are completely out of my league - someone else will have to comment. I haven't leased a car in 30 years.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    I was offered $1400 off base price for a special order. I probably could haggle for a little more, but I plan to take it.
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    My family HAD dealerships for 55 years, including Mercedes. "Cost" is whatever the dealer wants it to be. "Invoice" has always been what the factory charges the dealer for the car. If the dealer claims to be charging you $500 over invoice, he should be willing to show you his invoice from the factory.
  • atrainatrain Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a 2006 C230. After I build my own on MBUSA.com I come up with a MSRP of 36,010. I have great credit and can give some cash at purchase time.
    Can I get Less than MSRP?

Thanks,
    Atrain