Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    atbear: I'm dying to find that out also. I want the volt meter and the oil pressure gauges. I've been watching e-bay for a LS gauge set (for the Indiglo pre-order) and a Monte Carlo set to try in the Impala. I would think it would work since the Impala and MC are pretty much the same car. Unfortunately, the only way we will ever find out will be for someone to actually try it. I talked to Chevy and their response was that it wasn't a replacement cluster for my car ('01 LS). Big help there.

grvdiggaz: You should be able to. I say should, because someone told me they did, but since I have not done it myself or seen the subject car, I can't say that it WILL work. I don't know what the part number is, but it will be pretty expensive if you try and buy it new. I recommend that you try junk yards or stuff. Your odometer will be incorrect, though. Your dealer should be able to reprogram the gauges.
    I finally got my Thrasher CAI kit. Looks really good although the instruction manual needs work. It is a generic document based on an installation into a 97-98 Grand Prix I think. Lots of photos, but it is an a black and white document so it's hard to make out. I was going to do some testing and comparisons between the stock unit and the Thrasher kit, but I want to install it NOW! =)

I wanted to do some testing between the stock and Thrasher unit. Is there any difference, or does it just look cool. By the way, it does look really cool. =)

Here are some things I was thinking of:

Underhood temp
    Airbox temp
    Outside temp
    Vacuum within air duct with stock box and with Thrasher.
    Gas mileage.
    HP.
    1/4 mile time and speed.

Any other recommendations? The problem is that I am working with a stock air filter with 28,000 miles on it. I really don't want to purchase a new filter just to do this test since I would never use it ever again. So for almost everything except for temperature, I would be comparing a dirty factory filter to a clean Thrasher one. HP and 1/4 mile numbers will have to wait until I get a performance meter or get to the track. I would like to get the three temperature readings at the same time, but that requires three thermometers. Again, hard to justify that purchase just for this one use. I think I can get a vacuum meter. I have to see how much a new air filter costs.
    I installed the kit yesterday and posted a new article last night.

http://www.impalahq.com

• Excellent article. It sounds like that new intake, combined with a new exhaust, will really make a big improvement to the GM 3800. Are you thinking of an ignition upgrade next?
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    I have the Thrasher CAI and the Borla Exhaust. While it sounds much better (to me), there isn't THAT much power increase. On the highway there's a bit more. But the reason I did that to my car, is I have a lot of other thing planned, so I needed to open up my air flow.
    You might want to do it for yourseld anyway, but all those tests have already been done on the Thrasher. It gives about 5-8 HP increase so about .1 in the 1/4 mile. Once I get my HV Throttle Body and my High Ratio Rocker Arms I'm heading to the track again to see how they compliment my intake and exhaust. Stock I ran 16.1 on a 98* 100% humidity day in Baton Rouge! I expect I'll be in the high 14s now.
    Thrasher has not tested the unit on an Impala. I believe their data comes from a '98 Regal. They say that it would give you a 7-10 hp boost, however they go on to say that for optimum performance benefit you need one of their power pulleys and a supercharger.

And not to single out Thrasher, but the numbers they quote on their site are slanted to promote sales. For instance, the "extensive thermocouple datalogging" they did to optimize the system which they provided (somewhere, but not in my package) supposedly shows the intake temp is around 70 degrees F lower than a typical underhood open air element would take in.

Based on my thermocouple testing (Radio Shack $10 thermometer)underhood temp of an Impala running 55 MPH on the freeway, with the A/C going and an outside air temp of 86 degrees is around 124 degrees F. Temp of the air in the airduct utilizing the stock airbox is 106 degrees F.

You are right, I'm just doing it for my own satisfaction. Trying to justify my purchase. =)

With the new rocker arms, will you be able to maintain the correct geometry?
    Were you able to move the PCM so that the aluminum cover could be bolted to the L bracket?It seemed like I needed about 1/2 inch more play in the harness.
    I dunno whats next. I was thinking of a high flow cat and dual exhaust. But that will be a ways off. Took me over a year to do this upgrade and it was only $200.
  • grvdiggazgrvdiggaz Member Posts: 12
    Where did you get the intake? and would it work on the 3400?

Also what Dual exhu kits are people using and again where can i get it Thanks a lot!
    I purchased the intake from 3800performance. I don't know if it would work on the 3400 series engine.

Most people are getting the Borla kit but it might be cheaper to get a local exhaust shop to make you a set.

Go to http://www.impalahq.com and visit the Accessories page for sources.

The Thrasher will not work on the 3400, just the 3800 in W Bodies.

I got the PCM tray to screw into it fine. It wasn't real tight or anything, but it can't come off unless I loosen the screw about 7 turns. It's fine in there anyway. It's not going anywhere! Any other questions just ask
  • I wonder why K&N doesn't make an intake kit for the 3800 and 3400 engines? There are certainly enough of these engines out there to warrant it.
    They do. Look on the Impalastore... (although it's basically just a tube connecting the filter to the TB)
  • mke9c5mke9c5 Member Posts: 18
    Good article on the airbox, nathan. I don't think the adhesive on the velcro will work very well for me when it is 0 degrees in a couple months, though.
    Does anyone on this list that uses their Impala for emergency service work have a federal signal SmartSiren in their vehicle? I just installed one and I'm looking to ask a couple questions...thanks
    Speaking of the velcro on the Thrasher not working...... Mine has pretty much lost it's stickiness.. The heat under the hood kinda made that adhesive slip... any body have any ideas for heat-resistance adhesive? Thanks!
    Silicone adhesive is pretty good, but the velcro is nice because you can reposition it. Maybe we need to use regular velcro (non-sticky) and apply silicone to the back.
    Try using the heavy duty 3M black "velcro"....it comes in strips or a roll, but it is black plastic velcro, not fabric. The adhesive on that stuff is superior to almost anything on the market. Our cars have flashers mounted under the hood with it, and it stands up to extremes just fine. I will try to get the 3M proper name for it tonight..
    Thanks on the velcro guys.. my velcro is all gooey and it's sliding around.... need to take it off, clean it up and re apply with some good adhesive.. thanks again
    Can any one who has Lowered the Impala tell me what you used and how it rides compared to stock?

Also did you get bigger wheels 18 19 20inch?

And speaking of big rims I was looking at the rear wheel on my 00 base model and the lower control arm? (i think its the LCA) is almost Hitting the tire with stock rims and tires on the car and if I go with 20s with a 35series tire it will be about .6inches bigger overall diameter will that be a prob?

Thanks in advance!
  • otto42otto42 Member Posts: 33
    GM finally put something on the gmgoodwrench.com accessories site other than a link to chevy.com. Okay, so it's only the GM accessories brochure for the 2002 model. Still, very nice to have.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessories/pdf/Impala_2002.pdf is a direct link.

I just installed a Fenderwell Intake in my car. I disassmbled my Thrasher CAI. It's for sale.. email me if you'd like to know about the fenderwell intake or the Thrasher...
    Installed the front molded mudflaps and the front license plate filler over the weekend. Gave me something to do with my dad. :-)

Mudflaps: Very easy to install. I have a black 2002 LS, so I didn't paint the flaps. I did, however, go ahead and put a few layers of clearcoat on them. This made them much darker and they matched the paint, almost. Very nice looking. Large speedbumps may be a concern, as they do stick below the car quite a bit. Drilling holes into your car seems kinda wrong at first, but it works well and easy. Just make sure you do use the right sized drill bits that it says to use, those screws won't fit right otherwise. And do make sure to use the wax coated screws in the right place (very top hole), as the wax will prevent water from leaking into the top hole. Also, you'll need a jack to lift the car enough to get under and drill the bottom holes.

License cover: Sprayed several coats of clearcoat on it. Very nice looking when all is said and done. Being as it went on the 2002, I cut off the tabs where it would fit into on the 2003. Just snipped them off and sanded that part flat, leaving me with three nice flat spots to put the tape on. Stuck some 3M double sided auto tape on there, same as the existing tape on the bottom, and it works like a champ. Doesn't appear to be in any danger of coming off. Probably would be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to remove, in fact, so I'd recommend getting it on right the first time. Again, the clearcoat darkens it up, and if you have a black car, it's *exactly* the same color after applying the clearcoat for about 3 layers.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Was this the front plate filler that has text molded into it (I forget whether is says "Impala" or "Chevrolet")? I've been trying to find a "blank" front plate filler, as I've got an original '59 chrome Chevrolet script emblem and chrome "V" that I'd like to mount on one of these, to put on the front of my Impala. It looks like the sport appearance front filler is exactly what I need (which is what I assume you have), but I need something that's blank. Any thoughts?
    The one I got was through gmpartsdirect and it has the Impala logo on it. It is the sport appearance front filler, according to the part numbers I have. But it ain't blank. Sorry. I've not seen anything similar to this plate filler in a generic kind of model before either.

When I say "logo" I meant the word "Impala" in that script text. Not the deer thingy. And yes, it's molded in.
  • That "deer thingy" is an...Impala. Who woulda thunk it?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've seen a "blank" Cadillac licenst plate filler that looks right, but of course it isn't made to go on the Impala. However, if the one you got attaches with tape, I might be able to engineer something with the Cadillac blank (I'd prefer to have something removable, though - might have to figure a way to attach a metal plate (screwing in from the backside of the bumper), and taping the blank to that). Heck, I'd take the bumper off and attach it with toggle bolts if it'd work. Maybe sometime after the holidays when things slow down, I can take a lunch or Saturday morning and browse through my local "U-Pull-It" parts place and see what I can find.
    I have the pain filler and it looks great. I too cut off the clips and used mounting tape to put it on. Been there for 3 months and is still there! I don't think there's anything to worry about...
  • jflynn65jflynn65 Member Posts: 6
    Can someone post the part number of the front plate filler? Taking delivery today on a 2003 Black LS with med. Gray lthr, bench seat, and sunroof.
    The one I got was part number 88954949.
    Well I posted this a while back, but somehow it's gone.... well, here it is again!

"What are you planning on modifying?"

Let's see..
    As of now: Custom Fenderwell Intake w/ 9" cone filter, Borla Stainless Steel Dual Exhaust, 180 degree thermostat, BMR Sway Bars. (I assume I'm at about 210HP now give or take)

By end of the year: Stage 2 P/P High Velocity Throttle Body, Extended Range High Ratio Rocker Arms, INTENSE Pushrods, Ported Upper Intake Manifold, Upgraded PCM with many features. (I would say I'd be at around 250HP)

Soon: 3" Downpipe, Highflow Catalytic Converter and ubend replacement, Ported Exhaust Manifolds or Headers (maybe 260 HP)

Maybe in the future: Centrifugal Supercharger!!!! (approaching 400HP), GM Performance Springs and Struts (NEW!)
    can any one tell me a good www page to pick up some 19inch rims for my impala?
    Hey, if you're still looking for the 5 spoke Impala LS wheels, check this out!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874704406

100 bucks!

I just emailed em, and the ebay auction was bogus. They were $100 per wheel. I told them they better change their description.
  • 02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    OK I have a few questions on your MODS atbear:

1) Borla - I had one on my old car and I really liked it but it was a bit too loud. How loud is their system for the Impala and how much did it cost?

2) Thermostat - what will this do?

3) Intake - Your FWI sounds good but I just don't know... I am going to consider it and thanks for the instructions! Now about the Thrasher - Do you think that it is a TOTAL waste of money based on your experience? And what does everyone else think?

4) How is your MPG with your current mods?

5) Throttle Body - Where can I get more details on this ?

6) 3" Downpipe, Highflow Catalytic Converter and ubend replacement - Can you elaborate on these items. What is the "ubend"? What is the "downpipe"? Is the CAT street legal?

7) Header - Is this a street legal header?

Sorry for all of the questions. Those are the mods that I may be interested in for the future. I'm going to try and save up enough money for the exaust and intake by this summer so I am just planning way in advance I guess. Thanks!!!
    1) Borla- it is the most quiet exhaust out for our cars. People actually complain that it is not loud enough. It gives a deeper sound, but does not raise loudness much at all. Plus, the quality is TOP NOTCH. You will need to get the drivers side rear hangar welded on at a muffler shop since we don't have dual exhaust originally, but that's no big deal (10 bucks).

2) The thermostat opens the flow of coolant through the engine at a certain temperature. The stock thermo is 195 degrees. You can get 180 and 160 degree for our cars. The 160 is not good for our engine. The 180 is great! It keeps your engine a little cooler, and cooler mean more power! You won't feel anymore power, but you will feel your peak power for a longer period of time! They are only about $10.00.

3) On the FWI-- You can do it! Don't feel intimidated. It'll probably take one full afternoon, but it will be worth it!
    If you really really don't want to do it, then I suggest you WAIT for a little while and get the ZZP Cold Air Intake when it comes out. It will be MUCH MUCH better than the Thrasher CAI. I had the Thrasher, and it was not very good at all, and it was not durable. It was falling apart (it's held together with glue!). Also, it did not work as well as I would have hoped. Go to www.ZZPerformance.com and check out their products. They are about to update their site soon. The ZZP CAI should be out soon as well. I might even upgrade to the ZZP CAI if it works half as good as they are claiming!

4) My MPG is great! I get about 27-28 MPG going about 78 MPH or so. No drop in MPG with mods.

5) For Throttle Body etc I suggest you go to these sites: www.ZZPerformance.com, www.INTENSE-Racing.com, www.3800Performance.com. Those are our main parts suppliers. For general information and ALL THE KNOW HOW YOU COULD WANT go to www.ClubGP.com. You can find out anything there. Go to the message board, and use the Seach feature. It will help you out! Also, you can email ZZP or INTENSE and they will help you too!

6) Our cars have a 2.5" downpipe from the exhaust manifolds, down to the stock cat, then through a ubend. Now this isn't too bad (except for the ubend), but it could be better. Changing the downpipe from 2.5 to 3" obviously helps flow. The highflow cat also helps flow, and is emissions legal. The ubend replacement can be bought seperately, or as part of the downpipe/cat/ubend combo (they are sold together usually). The ubend is exactly that, a U bend in the piping that really restricts flow. It's good to get rid of that!

7) Headers don't really have any impact on whether something is legal or not. Headers are NOT needed for us. The only way I'd get headers is if I Supercharged my car. We just don't flow enough air to warrant the price of headers. We will have 3 different choices on headers soon: TOG, S&S and SLP will be making headers for our cars. SLP's should be out in February, and is looking like the best bet for us. Again, Headers are not needed unless you are HEAVILY modded.

ECT) You really don't need to mod your car at all unless you are gonna mod a good bit. Intake and Exhaust is good if you have future plans, but it won't give you a big gain by itself (nothing noticable). You might see a little gain on the highway, but it's not cost effective. But if you want to do it, and have other plans, you can't go wrong with the ZZP CAI and the Borla Exhaust. The Borla Exhaust is TOP NOTCH, but you will need to get a muffler shop to weld the drivers side rear hangar on, since we don't have dual exhaust originally. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS!! GOOD LUCK!

Drew
    I just copied and pasted everything in your message into a Word document so I have it for future reference. Very good stuff.

I'll be waiting until this summer anyway or maybe even next summer so when the ZZP CAI comes out I'll be looking into it. I'll stay away from the Thrasher for sure.

I'm definately going to do some light modding in a year or two as long as the bank account (and wife) lets me.

Intake, Borla exaust, TB, thermostat, and the downpipe / CAT combo sound like a good way to go for me. If it amounts to like 20 more "usable" HP and more tourqe then I'll be happy like a pig in sh*t.
    Great! With Intake/Exhaust, TB, thermo, and downpipe I see you at around 210-215 HP. Another thing you should look into in the future would be rocker arms. Lots of HP to be gained with them! BTW GM just release a new Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust system that would be great for you! Much easier on the pocket than the $700 Borla system. It's GM Part #12498617 and should be around $400-450. Good luck
    Yea $400 is much easier then $700 LOL! I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Noob question: What are rocker arms?

What do you think this item for the tranny:
    (found it on www.pfyc.com)

AutoTrans Interceptor Electronic Modulator is a permanent adapter plugged into the existing wiring harness with adjustable microprocessors.
    Increase transmission line pressure reducing burnt clutches & bands
    Eliminates the need to install complicated valve body kits
    Compatible with specific computer controlled transmission applications
    Tighten up those shifts and put a little snap in your driving
    Easy, plug in installation
    The AutoTrans Interceptor cleans up the vehicle's signal, while improving shift quality and increasing vehicle performance. Fine tune your transmission!
    Yeah, that GM Exhaust should be a good system. I've heard really good reviews so far.

Rocker Arms are the little arms that connect to the camshaft inside the engine right underneath the valvecover. What they do is create the effective duration of the valve lift, letting the air in and out of the cylinders. The higher the ratio, the more air being moved by the cam. ZZP makes some good High Ratio Rocker Arms for our engine. High Ratio Rocker Arms will give you about 15-20 HP by themselves.

The AutoTransInterceptor has had mostly negative reviews. I would stay away from it if I were you. If you want those features, plus many more, I would suggest a DHP PCM. DHP (Digital Horsepower Performance) is a company that reprograms our cars computers (PCMs) with higher performance features, while still maintaining full driveability and comfort features. Go to www.3800Performance.com to read about it. It's THE BEST reprogrammed PCM for our engines. Good Stuff! The one for the Impala should be out in a few months. I will get one as soon as they are out!
    Rocker ams look like a very good and safe mod.

I'll stay away from the autotransint.

What do you think about having the muffler removed in favor of a higher flowing resonator just for sound?

The stock exaust should be good enough once the ubend is removed yes?

I know the full setup is best but I'm trying to get the most HP for my money:

My Stage 1:
    Thermostat $12
    ZZP CAI $220 ???
    HV stage1 TB $180

My Stage 2:
    ubend replacment $65
    replace muffler?? $100
    rocker arms $300

Hmm that comes out to around $900 bucks. I'll have to get everything in part 2 installed at a shop so I'll have to see how much that will cost but all in all that's not too bad.

What do y'all think?
    You don't really need exhaust mods (except for the ubend), the stock exhaust flows plenty enough for your plans. Only do the exhaust if you want sound! Yes, do the ubend removal, that is a good idea. The downpipe/cat/ubend combo will give you more gains than a cat-back exhaust system. The resonator is not a restriction, it's a straight through design. The stock mufflers flow plenty. If you don't want exhaust for sound, then just leave it like it is.

You don't need to have any of these things installed in a shop. They are all simple bolt ons that you can do yourself very easily. I put everything I have on myself, and all I have are simple tools.

I'm not sure what you're looking for so I can't really give you a "Stage 1-Stage 2" model to follow, but if all you are doing is what you posted I'd do it this way:

Stage 1:
    Thermostat
    ZZP CAI
    Ubend replacement

Stage 2:
    Rocker Arms
    Throttle Body

What you might want to look into is the ZZP Stage 1 Performance Package (about $500). That will give you most of what you're looking for, for a good price. I'm personally getting the Stage 2 Performance Package, which is much more radical, and gives more performance (but it costs over $1000!).
    OK. I'm very new to this 3800 engine. But more ponies seem well within my reach. :)

I think my best path is to wait until the spring and go for the ZZP CAI assuming its available and the Ubend replacement. I thought the ubend replacement had to be welded into place?

Then my next step when I have the cash is the ZZP stage 1 performance package kit. Not a bad price at all for all that you get but what is the fan switch and do the UDP's really make a difference?

Thanks again for all your great advice. I've been over at clubgp and its a good site but we need an Impala section over there...
    The 3800 has a lot of potential. Mainly because of 1) It's large displacement, 2) It is strong, well built and durable, 3) It was made for durability and drivability so it has potential for tuning.

Yes, the ubend will have to be welded to the cat, but if you get the downpipe/cat/ubend all together, it's just a bolt on. Take the old one off, put the new one on.

The fan switch is to have control of your cooling fans (you don't really need that). The UD Pullies take away some of the parasitic loss that the accessories pull from the motor. Those don't really do much either. Your choice whether you want those things. I'm not getting them.

Please remember, the Grand Prix GT and the Impala are basically the EXACT same car. It has the same engine and transmission, and they are both W-Bodies. The Impala has a little stronger frame, and of course the PCMs are different. Other than that, pretty much everything that will work on a Grand Prix GT will work on an Impala. So, ClubGP is an excellent source of info for us!
    OK. I'm very new to this 3800 engine. But more ponies seem well within my reach. :)

I think my best path is to wait until the spring and go for the ZZP CAI assuming its available and the Ubend replacement. I thought the ubend replacement had to be welded into place?

Then my next step when I have the cash is the ZZP stage 1 performance package kit. Not a bad price at all for all that you get but what is the fan switch and do the UDP's really make a difference?

Thanks again for all your great advice. I've been over at clubgp and its a good site but we need an Impala section over there...
    Hey. I have a 2002 Impala LS. I've been pouring over schematics trying to work out how to disable the DRL with minimal impact on the rest of the system, and without going the full 9 yards and hooking up a surveillance mode switch like in the 9C1/3's.

If anyone is more daring than me, then here's how you do it:

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Pull off the Junction Block Underhood on the right side of the engine compartment. It looks held in by two bolts and is right behind the right headlamp. Crack it open. Look for a light green and black wire (striped, probably) hooked to a spot labeled D3. Cut it or disconnect it in whatever fashion. Make sure to seal it up real good with electrical tape and so on so you don't short anything later by accident. Heck, put a switch on it if you like (one that can handle 12 Volts and possibly up to 15 Amps) and mount it somewhere handy. Close it all back up and put it back together. Reconnect the battery. Start 'er up. Your DRL's should now be disabled (I think).

I'm going to try this next week when I'm on xmas vacation and take some pictures. But if anyone wants to try it before me, if you've got the guts ;-), then go for it. But you're on your own, I hold no responsibility for you breaking your car, etc. Still, I think it'll work.
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Good thing you did that - those DRL's are so dangerous and they must be real annoying to you from behind the wheel.

And a big thank you from those of us who are trying to see you in adverse conditions.
    Hey, I haven't done it yet.

But believe me, if I want you to see me, then you'll see me. What I don't want is to run my spiffy brighter headlights at low power all the friggin' time.

And yes, frankly, I find the DRL's to be extremely annoying, on both my and other cars. They don't improve visibility and they don't improve safety (reference any study you care to look up). Why do we have them again?
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I would really annoy you. I drive with my full lighting system on all the time. Low beams with fog lights. All the time, every time I'm in the car.
This discussion has been closed.