Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    DRLs do improve safety. They make cars easier to see. It's the truth. Having said that, there's no law against removing them, so do what you want.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Would you be willing to document your mods and plans for a How-To article?
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Screw studies - how about just some good old fashion common sense. Remember when that mattered and worked :--)

All I know is that DRL's allow me to see cars sooner than later - in any environmental condition. I much prefer to see your "spiffy brighter" headlights than none at all.
    "Would you be willing to document your mods and plans for a How-To article?"

Sure that'd be no problem! I sent you the instructions and a picture of the Fenderwell Intake. I'm sure you have a ton of email to sift through. I have an updated version I'd like to send you that's a little clearer, so let me know when you want me to send it to you!

Also-- my BMR Sway Bars came in this afternoon, so I'll be putting them on in the next couple of days. I'll try to create a How-To or at least, I'll have a before and after opinion. I expect a drastic improvement after what I've heard about them!

My other mods should be done within a month or two, so I'll let you know about those then. I might be getting the downpipe/cat/ubend in the next week or so, so I'll let you know about them too.

Write me an email when you're not busy, letting me know what you'd like, and when you want me to send you the updated FWI instructions. Thanks!
  • otto42otto42 Member Posts: 33
    Bah. How am I supposed to run from the cops at night with my headlights on? ;-)
    Hm, I think I remember your e-mail. I gotta check. I've been receiving a lot of virus attachments so I may have cranked up my firewall too high.
  • 02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    "Would you be willing to document your mods and plans for a How-To article?"

That would be cool.

It would be great if there was one web site that had Impala how to articles, reviews, and a great message forum. I know there are all of these scattered resources all over the place but it would be nice to have it all in one dedicated site.
    Not sure if you've checked it out yet, but go to night_owl1's (Nathan's) www.impalahq.com. It's awesome! Good work Nathan!
    I did have a lot of mail quarantined so I gotta go through it all. I posted atbear's fender wall intake project. That was a great article, I only had to format it in HTML and upload it. Karli sent me photos of her Impala. She painted the body molding to match the car.

http://www.impalahq.com
    Its not a woman, its a car. Please. LOL.

But seriously I was looking at my car (its black) and I was thinking that it would look great with chrome along the sides like I see on some other cars. Has anyone done any good looking exterior mods woth chrome?

I'm gonna get the carbon fiber bow tie on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6766&item=1875173213&rd=1

That looks so muvh better then the blue.
    I know of a bowtie that lights up.. it's outlined in red or blue or green LEDs. Let me know if you want to hear about it.
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    Tell us more.
    I got my 3" Downpipe/Highflow Cat/Ubend removal in today in the mail. I'm going to try to replace it tomorrow if I have time. I got it from www.mandsproduction.com who it supposed to be the best manufacturer for us. It was $315 shipped. I'll keep you posted.
    Nice! That's not a bad price for everything that it is replacing. Do you think that you'll have a problem passing inspection with that? I'll be very intersted to know about any performance gains with this mod. Peace.
    It's a better price than the Random Tech DP/Cat/Ubend that most people get. And, it's much better quality too (esp the flex pipe). And, it flows MORE! Pretty cool. I probably won't notice much of a performance gain right now when I put it on. I should notice a nice deepening of my exhaust tone though which would be good. But, when I get my other performance mods and start flowing more air, this mod should help greatly!
    What about inspection? Do you think it'll pass insoection with it.

BTW I posted pics of my Impala in the Photo Gallery if anyone wants to see. It's a totally stock 2002 black LS Sport.
    Yes, it'll pass inspection. It is a catalytic converter after all.
  • grvdiggazgrvdiggaz Member Posts: 12
    Any one installed Undercar neon lights or Neons under the Dash?
  • emtbemtb Member Posts: 42
    Supposed, hypothetically, someone bought a base Impala, and wanted to install the standard fog lights. Anyone done this? Thoughts? Comments?
    I know someone who installed neon in the trunk and under the car.
    To install the standard LS lights, you need the LS bumper. The mounting brackets are moulded into the bumper cover. I would go with aftermarket ones. Get one that will fit into the little holes near the bottom
    I installed my downpipe/highflow cat/ubend replacement yesterday. It added a good bit of performance gain. More than I was expecting. It's 3" diameter so that'll help when I get my major mods early next month. Speaking of that:

Would anybody who lives in the Michigan/Illinois area be willing to let Digital Horsepower Performance take a look at your PCM (computer) for a couple hours so they can develop a DHP PCM for our Impalas?? It would really help us all out if you would volunteer. I would but I live in Louisiana.. Thanks for anyone who can help!

Drew
    Pretty sweet man. So the downpipe combined with the high flow exaust, intake, and Thero was a good investment? It would really be something with the DHP. I hope they come out with it.

How was the install of the downpipe?

Also I was wondering - how difficult was the thermostat install?
    Well, as I was telling you... you should NOT mod your car for HP unless you are going to see it through. If you spent the money I have ($1000) and had the gain I have you'd be pissed. So I DO NOT suggest just doing what I have so far. I have plenty left to do, just had to do intake/exhaust first. This is my little disclaimer.

Install was not HARD, but it's very freakin' tight in there. It's a very SIMPLE install, but it's really really hard to do without a lift since that DP is up in a little crease/corner/crevease. It's just 4 bolts total.

IF you do do yours for performance HP mods, the DP/Cat/Ubend is the most restrictive part definately. The Cat-Back is NOT restrictive at all, so don't worry about it. But it will give you the sound if that's what you're after.

I might go to San Antonio for the Alamo Shootout this February, if no one is able to volunteer their car before then. That was I can get a CUSTOM!!! DHP calibration! WooHoo!!

Thermostat install is easy as can be, and I DO suggest it. Make sure you have a long extended socket set, not just the small sockets, and you'll be fine! Good Luck! Let me know if you have any more questions...
    You have any sugesstions on how the get the best launch from a dead stop.

Thx. Peace.
    Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying an Instrument Cluster from a 2002 Impala LS SPORT and putting it in my LS. Check out this thread and let me know what you think. Thanks!

http://www.clubgp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6441784&FORUM_ID=1&CAT_ID=1&Forum_Title=ClubGP+%2D+General&Topic_Title=What%27s+involved+in+changing+the+Instrument+Cluster

Drew
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    I swapped the standard cluster in my 2000 base impala with one from a 9C1 Police impala and it worked first time, no headaches. it has a 140mph speedo and had lower mileage than my old one, so i still need to get it reprogrammed by dealer to match the miles i had on the car before the switch. although my old speedo went to 120 and the new one goes to 140, it seems that it is still accurate. The car's PCM sends out a signal that is again interpreted by the cluster to give a MPH readout, so i wonder if the tach does the same. Not outputting a voltage to move the needle, but a value for the instrument cluster to interpret and then send a corresponding voltage to it's needles. 7,000 miles since i swapped clusters, and all is well including fuel and message center. Fuel did have to be reset though. I had to fill the tank and drive till near empty for 3 cycles before the cluster would give me an accurate gauge of how much fuel i had. It seemed to show more fuel than i had for the first few weeks until it cycled through a few fill ups and near empties.
    Excellent!! Yes, I think the PCM sends out values, not needle posisions. Were your wiring harnesses exactly the same? The mated perfectly? Also, where did you get your cluster? I'm trying to find a good cheap place. Thanks!!
    I have pictures i will put up on saturday and i will post a link on saturday here too. If you follow Impalahq.com instructions on taking the instrument panel faceplate off (to expose the radio) you will be 4 screws away from removing the Instrument Cluster. It is held with 4 screws. The wiring harness has a green connector with a blue retainer to keep the harness from disconnecting from heavy vibrations. Anyway, I have a base 3.4 Engine but the police 9c1 cluster is for 3.8 Engines. It worked the first time I tried it, and the speedo was absolutely correct. I drove past a radar speed sign (we have one on the belt parkway in Brooklyn/Queens) and my speed was matched. The most time consuming is working the 4 screws out with the right size screw driver (due to the squeezing into tight places, lower your tilt steering wheel). I get my impala parts (Including police wheels with steel center caps) from the sheriff's tow wreckers. They tow wrecked police cars and put the good parts together to rebuild complete working squad cars. They usually paint them to be unmarked so they wont be used for pursuit or hard driving (since they are rebuilds). I got the cluster though from ebay. I will put up my pictures saturday evening, look for em here. Keep looking on ebay for Impala cluster, or police cluster.
    Thanks! That's great.. looks like I just need to buy an LS SPORT Cluster and switch them out. Then get the odometer recalibrated to my car's mileage. Easy enough.... do you think the dealer could change my odometer on the new cluster to my miles? Thanks for your help!

Drew
    I havent asked my dealer to do it yet. Scared to find out how much since i ordered a new Impala radio online and need it unlocked. I want to wait and combine both programming requests so i get a better price on the service.
    My dealer would do all that for free... sure yours wouldn't?? But I do understand what you're saying... let us know how it goes.

Drew
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    They have them for 359 dollars but I was wondering if they are the same ones that I want..
    GM Part numbers 88956008, 88956009, and 88956010 (paint to match)

Any info would be appreciated!
    Dealer quoted me $650 to reprogram the cluster to the correct mileage and $50 to unlock the radio. I do not understand the big price difference and am not reprogamming the cluster yet cause of the price.
    Holy crap! hahahaha... really? That's just rediculous... man. I just planned on going to the dealer and getting them to do it for free. Did they say that THEY would do it for $650, or that the had to SEND it so somebody to have it done, and that'd cost $650? I'm almost 100% certain that if my dealer could do it there, they'd do it for free. Hmmm..
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    Try GM Parts Direct . Com. I ordered my mine from my local Chev dealer. Cost me $280.00. Cost $100.00 to paint and install.
    Tommy42-
    Man you got a great deal. I asked my chevy dealer and they quoted me a price of over 600 dollars just for the 3 parts! Thats why I was wondering if anyone had experience with NAISSO. I will check with GM Parts Direct and see what their price is too.
    Thanks!
    Been thinking about getting some tinter window shades for my 2002 LS (Black). I've seen two brands, want to know if anyone has them (or some other kind) and what they think. First brand is the Auto Ventshade one. Second brand is the WeatherTech brand. I think the weathertech one looks better, as it doesn't need tape for installation, it simply fits into the window groove.

But I'd like opinions from someone who has already got some..
  • sweigardsweigard Member Posts: 9
    I put on front and rear Weather Tech a few months ago, and they're great. They cut a lot of wind noise, offer a little extra sun shading, prevent rain and washer fluid from entering the window, and you don't get any snow resting up along the window tops.

Their website has a picture or video instructions, and they go on much more effortlessly than it at first seems they will.

I installed then on a very cool evening, rather than a warm day, and once in, it wasn't 'til over night that they properly set in.

They work as advertised in my opinion.

Larry
    While I have not purchased anything from them, a number of owners have told me that they purchased the taillight covers for their Impalas from Naisso and had no problems.
    I went to my dealer yesterday and they said that they could not reprogram the odometer to my mileage if I got a new cluster. They said I'd have to order the cluster with the appropriate mileage, or just leave it like it was.. what do y'all think?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I think legally you'll have to make note on the car somewhere that the odometer was replaced on such-and-such date, and the old one had X miles on it when it was removed, and the new one had X miles on it; so any future owner can determine exactly how many miles the car has on it (otherwise you could get in a heap of trouble for odometer tampering).
    Right, yeah I plan on doing that.... It's just finding somebody to program it for me first... I hope I can get it with my exact mileage (I have 17800 miles now, maybe get it programmed with 19000 and wait to install it til the odo is turning to 19000)...
    Go to another dealer. Reprogramming the cluster is done with the the dealer's TECH-II. I even think I have the instructions on how to do it around here somewhere. I just don't have a TECH-II. =) $5000 for a used one was a bit out of my price range.
    sweigard,

Thanks for the input. I ordered the WeatherTech shades (and some mats since I needed them anyway) and got them yesterday. But it was raining so I installed the vent shades today.

You're right, they're very easy to install and seem to fit quite well. I'll leave the windows shut for a few days and see how well they settle into place.
    I'm not saying you're lying, I'm even inclined to believe you! But, he said specifically that "It's not something I can do with the Tech-II." And I emailed GMPartsDirect and they said I'd have to take it to the dealer to send it off to have it reprogrammed.... I don't know..
    You know the commercials they have that they can read your check engine light codes.. I am wondering if they have a tech-II. If they did I would love to borrow it and check out all the options. I know you can re-flash the radio to change the bass settings with it.

as far as the odometer goes, with the strick laws and stuff I kind of think they must have to have some better control than to let anyone with a tech-II change the reading.

do you have an LS-Sport Cluster? how are things going with that?

on another topic, does anyone know the part numbers for the LS-Sport License Plate Cover and the front little deal that hangs down.. i think they call it the facia or something.??
    Hey anyone familar with this part? I will be getting it in a few months but I want to know if it eliminates the u-bend? Anyone know? The part number is 12498617. Thanks.

Anyone know when the ZZP intake will be available?
    The U-Bend is part of the cat piping. It is just after the cat, but before the flange that bolts up to the exhaust kit. Give me a minute and I'll post a photo of the kit on my site.
This discussion has been closed.