Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• thermalizodthermalizod Member Posts: 1
    what kind of air intake upgrades can I make on my 2000 Impala(3400 engine)? I'm hoping to increase fuel efficiency as well as overall power. :)
  • frstr8frstr8 Member Posts: 2
    It is possible to add an aftermarket amp. I have a 4 channel 900 watt amp in my trunk powering two 12's. I went to impala hq website and got the wiring diagram for the stock amp. I marked all the wires and then trashed the stock amp. Then I ran a wire from the batttery to the amp and used the stock remote wire. I had to make a plug to go into the high volt inputs on the aftermarket amp, because the stock deck doesn't have preamp low volt outputs. It sounds awesome and is very loud.
  • pimpalapimpala Member Posts: 2
    how much for the lights?
  • pimpalapimpala Member Posts: 2
    i'm wanting to put some 20's on my impala, but seen the 20's i like also come in 22's... is the lug pattern 5-115 or 5-114.3?

the fitments for the 22's

for the 5-114.3 wheels, the offset is +35, which i'm pretty sure matches up well (its a 22x9.5)... now the 5-115's, the offset is +15.. how bad will that stick out..
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    on a website called streichers dot com, or look up a distrubutor on Whelen 's webisite, they make great lights. I had two sets of whelen dash strobes for two different cars, they cost about $250 a couple of years ago, i imagine the lights are a little cheaper now and better quality. As for total price, in NYC if you get caught with fake lights you get a free weekend (all meals included, along with nice hot showers with bubba the love sponge) at a beautiful island resort called Rikers Island. You just need to do your own laundry (and maybe your cell mates laundry, but they generally work that out amongst themselves).
    The name of the spotlight manufacturer is Unity, and the maker of nypd roof lights is Federal - model name is "Vision" for the Vshaped lightbar.

If you want the lights but without attracting negative attention, go for the LED lightbars or dash lights that are WHITE when turned off, and only give off a color when you activate them. That way when they are powered off there is no real probable cause to pull you over, since your lights can be passed off as White, or unused "car show only" lights. They really really take no excuses if you get caught with those lights around here, let me know if you find hat you were looking for on those websites.
  • stevefm2003stevefm2003 Member Posts: 1
    I am wanting to White out my 2000 Impala and was thinking of using White Carbon Fiber Decal on the now black side protectors. Has anyone done this yet? Any advise?
  • dilllydillly Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 2005 Impala and I'm very happy with it but the lumbar support annoys me. I feel it pressing into my lower back even at the lowest setting. Can I somehow remove it or reduce it even more?
  • mtwillismtwillis Member Posts: 2
    Hey Niagara, I was wondering if you found out how to purchase the Impala Center Caps?
  • mtwillismtwillis Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone now how to get a set of the center caps?
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I have seen them for sale on ebay a few times........under "police impala".......or Impala wheels.........
  • cpkuszniajcpkuszniaj Member Posts: 2
    FYI - I've figured out how to bypass the CLASS 2 Communications for all RDS Radios to enable them to work without locking. This applies to all Class 2 RDS Radios from 2000 - 2005. To put it simply, just hook up the CLASS 2 from the Radio directly to a Ground. I have been toying with this for a while trying to figure out how to get around CLASS 2 issues. I upgraded my chevrolet non-CLASS 2 radio in my 99 Blazer to RDS 6 CD Changer. I studied how the CLASSS 2 system and how it works. Current RDS radios do not look for a return signal, but instead look for a possible path to communicate with the BCM. I only noticed this when turned the ignition to ACC position and it would not lock the radio, however I knew there is no way the BCM is communication at this point.
  • cloudshiftcloudshift Member Posts: 2
    Greetings all. This is my first post to the forum. Lots of great information here so far, here's my current situation, perhaps someone can help me out:

About a year ago I got a nice 2003 Impala (9C1) police package with 41k miles. The car was in near new condition, and never used in police duty. It's a great car, though honestly it draws too much attention, but that's a different story all together... I've put over 20k miles on it since I got it, and have had no problems at all. I didn't like the stance though, it just sat too high, with way too much of a gap at the wheel wells... So, I decided to buy Eibach Pro-Kit springs, and put them on the car... I've had good luck with previous vehicles and Eibach springs, so I thought, no problem...

After having the springs installed, I noticed a definite vibration upon acceleration (in the gas pedal and steering wheel mostly)... I figured this would be cleared up after the alignment, so I didn't worry about it. After the alignment I got the car back and though the vibration has decreased, it is still too evident for my liking. Maybe a fluke with my tire balance, I thought, so I got all four tires balanced at the best place in town... Nope, still vibrating. Like I said, I notice it mostly in the steering wheel and gas pedal, and the harder I accelerate, the more evident the vibration is. I'm at my wits end... I've taken it to a couple mechanics, had them check it over, test drive it, etc. and nothing. I had the alignment checked again thinking perhaps that was the fault... Well, supposedly it needed an alignment, so I had it done, it changed the vibration a bit, and how it manifests itself, but it's still there...

Now, don't get me wrong, the Eibach springs really have made cornering in this car a dream, much better than the stock police package... (Also, the struts were in great shape, so I didn't replace those when I did the springs, though I don't think the struts would cause such a vibration anyway), but I just really, really want to get rid of this vibration...

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this could be? I'm not sure what to do next. The car has been great to me, and certainly has it's charms, but now I'm regretting getting the springs done, because it's made my total driving experience so much worse!

Any help would be much appreciated... Thanks in advance!

Best,
    Brad
  • fkostyunfkostyun Member Posts: 1
    Do you have any websites that you could point me to on this subject - I am wanting to put a 2005 malibu radion into a 2004 saturn - and need to find wiring diagrams for the malibu / GM class 2 plug.
  • extremetintextremetint Member Posts: 1
    This is for cpkuszniaj if you can email me some more info on this i have been toying with this idea for a while but put it off, I would like to put RDS radio in my wife's 1999 grand am and i have a 2004 rds out of a grand am.
  • zim1zim1 Member Posts: 2
    Could you tell me which pin number on the radio you grounded to make this work.
    I would like to upgrsde too.
    Thanks
  • iamrobiamrob Member Posts: 2
  • iamrobiamrob Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I purchased a 2001 Impala X police car. The car does not come with a centre console (between the driver and passnager seat) I was wondering if anyone else who may have purchased a X police impala had this problem and if you did, was there any luck finding what you were looking for?
  • in_dmandin_dmand Member Posts: 1
    hey guys. i just got this car from a highway patrolman with 55k on it (i'll get pics up later of it). the rims look a little worn, so i want to replace them with the factory black cop rims. any ideas of where i could purchase some from? i've been keeping an eye on ebay, but havne't found any yet.
  • chevy_riderchevy_rider Member Posts: 1
    Whats happenin?

I own a base model 2000 Impala with a bench front seat and my center console is busted does any one have for sale or know of a website where I can get one. I appreciate any help given.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I'd try one of those "you pull it" parts places if you can find one locally...I don't think it'd be too hard to replace. One thing you might notice is the 2000 model bench seat cupholders were sort of flimsy...the 2001 model went to a "molded in" style that is not only stronger, but won't drip condensation on your seats. I've contemplated replacing my 2000 arm rest/console with a 2001 version for that very reason. Of course I haven't done it yet, so odds are I won't...but if I were in your shoes, I'd consider getting the "improved" version when I replace it.
  • bigbob2bigbob2 Member Posts: 1
    Which wire did you ground out?? What color??? Did you lose any functions (chimes,etc..)? Thanks
  • riverwalk100riverwalk100 Member Posts: 3
    Hello you might want to check out NAIOA.com there is a guy there that reprograms clusters. This is the North American IMpala Owners Assn. web site lots of info for everyone.
  • riverwalk100riverwalk100 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone. I am a newbie here but a long time member of NAIOA. North american IMpala owners assn. check out the web site www.naioa.com there is tons of info to answer most all of your questions mods ect.
  • jjcskyjjcsky Member Posts: 7
    Just got an Impala SS loaded (wood grain, of course, not the fake metallic stuff - by the way, why does gm hate to make cars that are black w. the neutral interior? took forever to locate this car). Anyway, very happy, but like most of you, I think it could look better. The website says they have a dealer option for the Chrome Five Spoke Triangular Wheels (they look great) but the dealer says the wheels still have not come out. Question

1. Has anyone else looked into this and could you shed light on this for me?

2. Does anyone have these wheels already and would you post a pic of the car so we could get a sense of one looks like w. the wheels?

Thanks, John
  • webbersewebberse Member Posts: 1
    Did you find one? I have looked everywhere online and would like to replace my 2000 center console, tan, with a new and improved one. My cup holder finally broke, but "Gorilla Glue" put it back together. Are 2001 center consoles compatible with the 2000? Thanks for any info.
    I've actually never looked, as my cup holders are still holding together. While I haven't compared the two, I can't imagine why the 2001-2005 bench seat console/armrest wouldn't fit in a 2000 model. My recommendation would be to find a "you pull it" parts place and see if you can find one, and also see what's involved in removing/replacing the part - if you can tear into the parts car seat and figure it out, you'll get a pretty good idea as to whether it's doable or not.

My guess is it should be a pretty simple connection between the bracket that is connected to the seat, and the actual armrest...but I'd experiment with the donor car first just in case.
  • frstr8frstr8 Member Posts: 2
    Brad,

My guess would be that an axle got bent during the installation of the new springs.
  • maijinstingmaijinsting Member Posts: 5
    Hey guys and gals, I'm new here. I have a 2004 Chevy Imapala and I'm trying to change all of the interior bulbs in the vehicle to red. the bulbs are 194, but I seem to be having trouble pulling them out of the map lights in the mirror.

i don't have a manual for my vehicle but a co-worker of mine doubts that it would be in there. Any solutions or suggestions on how to get the small bulbs out of the bottom of the rear view mirror?
    As luck would have it, I replaced my auto-dimming mirror on my 2000 Impala about 6 months ago, and still have the old one lying around (actually it's in my desk drawer at work, but that's another story). I'll send myself an e-mail to remind me to take a look at it tomorrow and see if I can easily tear it apart or not.

Mine is the auto-dimming version without OnStar...don't know if that's the same as yours or not, but I'll let you know what I run into when I tear into it.

p.s. If you register your Impala at mygmlink.com I think you should be able to download a pdf of your owner's manual! :D
    thanks a lot.

i have the same mirror, auto-dimming without OnStar. i tried to cut the seal, but after looking over the mirror for several minutes, i don't think there is a way inside of it.

i will register on that website for a manual. appreciate the info
    Okay, just pulled the mirror out and took a look at it (which admittedly is probably easier to do if you remove the mirror as opposed to having to do this hanging upside down)...basically on mine there's the clear lens area for each light, and each has a black plastic rim around that. If you look along the edge of that rim and the rest of the mirror, there's a notch where you can insert a small screwdriver or knife blade where there's a plastic latch that keeps the lens in place. Basically pop the lens off, and the bulb remains attached inside the base of the mirror, where you should simply be able to easily pull/replace the bulb (mine pulled right out without any problems). If you can get the lens out but are having problems getting the bulbs out for some reason, you could always put some type of red film/filter inside each lens and maybe get the effect you're looking for.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    There are a lot of LEDs out there these days too that will save battery power and save the mirror from getting hot after extended use.

As for that replacement, auto-dimming mirror...how much and was it new? I'm considering replacing my manual mirror for the auto-dimming one. My last car had it and I didn't think I'd miss it but I do. Thanks...
    I bought a new replacment from the dealer...my original one gradually quit dimming properly, and I suffered with it for a couple of years before finally getting tired of it (and like you, realizing how nice it is to have when it does work). As I recall it was @ $180, which is admittedly a lot of money, but since I plan to keep the car for another couple of years I figured it was worth it.

Easy enough to replace, just disconnect it from the windshield and unplug the wires...if I'd realized that I'd have probably done it much sooner.

You might also consider going to a "you-pull-it" type parts place and see if you can find a used one...might not last as long as a brand-new one, but would certainly be cheaper.
    A used parts store was what I had in mind. Thanks for the info. :) I figured it would be a lot of money. A factory replacement of the plain plastic passenger-side side-view mirror insert (just the mirror) was $45 new. Gotta love the fairness in that. :)
    My experience with electronic parts at used parts places has never been good, and I invariably end up wasting time and money going that route versus just buying the part new to being with. My previous car ('89 Celica) developed a problem with the HVAC controls, which were electronic. The AC worked, but the heat didn't...I went without heat for a year which was miserable, then I bought a used unit and put it in, which also didn't work. I finally broke down and spent the $400 for a new unit, and it worked great...I'm have been much better off spending that money two years earlier versus suffering through two years with no heat (not counting the money I wasted on the used unit).
    well, i've been trying to do it the way you did for the past week, but my hands are too big to get a good grip on it. I wanted to use pliers but feared the bulb breaking.

an employee of mine, who also owns an impala told me he changed his from clear to blue bulbs and told me to pry the bulb out with a flat head screwdriver. sure enough, it popped right out, with the replacing of the red bulbs being easier than removing the standard ones.

my interior is completely red now, with the two rear reading lights, the two rear view map lights, the two under dash lights and the cigarette light all being red.

completely cool. thanks for the input everyone
  • 00imp00imp Member Posts: 1
    Hello I was wondering if anyone out there has upgraded to 22" wheels on there 00-05 Impala. If so what kind of mods did you have to do to your suspension?
  • coppersunburstcoppersunburst Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2006 Impala and want to know if these are good exhaust tips for it. They look great in the pictures like they fit the bumper perfectly, but has anyone done anything like this to theirs yet?

Link to the tips
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Ordered mine from a very helpful seller on ebay here in Toronto, Canada. HE went to a dealership for me to make sure the chrome exhast tip would fit and look ok on my '06 Impala LT.
    Should be receiving package today ....i will let you know if you are still interested...
    I'm asking for my sister. Please let us know if they look like the picture and total price paid. They seemed a little pricey on the web site referenced. Thanks! :)
    Hi Quietpro.....
    I received.. and now have the chrome exhaust tip on and it looks absolutely great !!
    They are exactly what you see in the picture ..great quality
    and no welding required with just 3 screws holds them firmly in place. Ordered from cadillac performance in Toronto...
    2 for $60.00 on ebay ...much much cheaper than GM dealership.
    Hope this helps...
    Frank
    Sounds great! Thanks a lot for the info. :)
  • impala02impala02 Member Posts: 1
    I just paid 5400 for a 02 impala, perfect outside, inside is beat up because of hte fact of it used to be a undercover cop car. 73,000 miles on it. Does any one know a good site or place i could go to get good performance items for it. Also i need carpet,and a center console.... Also does anyone know a really good cool air intake i could buy for it, and what about a nice performence chip mabye. And whear can i find a carbon hood? Mabye someone can help me out a little..? thanx

steve
  • 02cavalier02cavalier Member Posts: 20
    Try www.car-part.com for "new" seats and interior pieces. Ebay is a good bet too, but shipping new seats would probably be pretty costly and they would have a good chance of getting damaged in transit by the UPS gorillas :D .
    Hi Guys...just for your info.....!!

You know, I have purchased items from Ebay maybe 3 or 4 times now over the past year. I have had nothing but positive experiences here, although I know there are some horror stories around out there . I make sure shipping included insurance...just in case.
    Anyway, for example.. I purchased 4 tires and 4 alloy wheels like new and had them shipped via UPS all the way from sunny California to Toronto, for about $ 210.00.
    It was well worth it for me...and saved a bundle..

Frank ;)
  • corny40corny40 Member Posts: 20
    Well, I finally got it done (plus some other stuff) and thought I would share. Thanks! :)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Corny,

Those are some great looking mods. I like the contrasting colors to accent the new pieces you've added. I've looked in the GM Performance Parts website and not found anything like what have have installed. I'm particularly interested in the upper strut reinforcing crossmember for the front and rear. If you have a link, would you mind sharing it? Did you also change the struts themselves? What have you observed in handling changes after the installation of them? (I'm curious because I installed similar components along with Koni struts and springs on a VW GTI back in the '80s; made it corner like it was on rails.) Again--it looks great!
    Clark
  • colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    Do not drive that car in the inner city!!....... :shades:
  • corny40corny40 Member Posts: 20
    Don't worry, I have a crime deterrent installed. :)

As far as the strut tower braces, check out this link where I got most of my info.

http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12073

Don't listen to the part about buying bolts in the first post. You don't need to. You'll see what I mean towards the end of the thread. I know it's long, but there is alot of good info in there. If you have any questions after that, let me know. :)

Oh yeah, I didn't change the struts, just added the braces, and yes, she handles like she's on rails. :surprise:
  • beav1beav1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I was wondering if you still had the wiring diagram for the factory amp. Impala hq's site is down permanently, and I cant find another diagram, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.