Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus SUVs: Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Lexus
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your RX-300!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to discussion ideas.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays: 4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET
-or-

Thursdays: 5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET, 6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET, 7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• wayn1wayn1 Member Posts: 69
    I have a 2000 RX FWD, it's golden pearl with the ivory interior, loaded. I've owned it since Jan. 3, 2000 and it just turned 10,000 miles(already). This has been one awesome suv. I really love this Lexus. I do all the maintenance myself. I use Amsoil synthetic oil and filters and get an average 21-23 mpg in mixed driving. Not bad for an suv.
  • arturitoarturito Member Posts: 16
    hi wayni we ordered a new 2001 rx 300 and will be taking delivery shortly do you have any tips for doing just that in a pleasant way like for example should we take a final test drive before actually taking delivery any thoughts along those lines would be greatly appreciated arturito p.s. this is our first lexus and ill be traveling to fla to pick it up and drive it back home to va.
  • vabobvabob Member Posts: 1
    Hello Arturito...took delivery of our RX300 two weeks ago and have almost 1000 miles. When driving back from Florida keep in mind the owners manual recommends no hard braking for 1st 250 miles, vary speed, and do not exceed 55mph for first 1000 miles. Our VA dealer gave us the opportunity to test drive while delivery docs were being prepared.... recommend you do the same. Good luck with your new Lex and your return from Florida.
    Hello. I would be very careful driving back from Fl. with a new car. You need to "break it in" slowly for the first 1,000 miles or so. If you have some time, drive around Fl.to make sure everything is ok. Don't be in a hurry to come home, your Lexus will love you for that and will last many years to come.
    Good luck, you choose the best!
    Wayne
  • grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    Hi, I have a 2K RX with 25,000 miles on it- leased it in September of '99. A few observations over the time that might be of interest- and a silly question

The car is still as tight as the day I got it--No rattles or squeaks

The Integrity tires are junk and I can't wait till they wear out (which according to my dealer should be within 5-7K!@) so I can replace them...

I still can't get used to the turning radius when trying to do "K" turns...

I still wish they had supplied a compass but I got an aftermarket one that serves the purpose.

I average about 19.3-19.5 mpg combined and about 23 pure highway using 89 Octane.

I ordered a ski rack from irontoad and am quite happy with their service and timeframes.

NOW for the question---Is any one else bothered by the fact that you can't tell when the fog lights are on without checking the stalk...or did they finally add an indicator light for '01??
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    If my memory serves me (I'm not in the vehicle right now), no, there isn't one. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
  • ahuiahui Member Posts: 15
    My wife and I just put down a deposit for a 2001 RX300, Silver with Navigation package. Hopefully we'll receive delivery soon. I have a question, should we get the 3M Stone Guard protection film on the front of the car hood? Has anyone else used it?
  • lexusrolllexusroll Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2k RX3000 in late 1999 & love it a lot. The dealer says use premium gas for
    "optimum" performance. I would prefer 89 (or less) octane (per Owners Manual). My
    wife does not agree with this logic, however. Any thoughts on which octane is best?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The Edmunds.com Drivers' Opinion Panel has just launched. This initiative will further establish Edmunds.com as the voice of the consumer by becoming a key source for automotive market research. Through this initiative Edmunds.com will send traffic to the Opinion Panel promotion and registration area. Members of the panel will participate in key market research studies for Automotive OEMs and related companies on-line as opposed to more traditional market research methods.

To become a member of the panel, please visit

Drivers' Opinion Panel

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • cjnovacjnova Member Posts: 3
    My lease is up in June and I want to purchase my RX300. I am way over on miles, about 18,000 and have invested in 4 new tires in the last year. I want to know if by paying cash for my vehicle I can negotiate a better price. It's been a great car with all scheduled maintainance done and no problems at all with it. I love my vehicle. Anyone have any suggestions before I go to the dealer?
    First, your dealer has nothing to do with the lease, whoever financed the car owns it (you are paying rent). Either it was Lexus Financial Services (LFS) or another lessor/bank.

The buyout on the car is TOTALLY negotiable, and I recommend you do your homework first by using Edmunds.com, KBB.com, and looking in your local paper what comparable vehicles are going for.

You then call your lessor and ask them what the buyout is. If your research suggests less, then offer that. Be prepared to haggle.

Good luck.
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    Hope you enjoy your new DX 300 as much as I'm enjoying mine. I also have a '93 AS 300 (116,000K miles) and it is as good as the day I drove it out of the dealership. No squeaks, rattles, rumbles. I would strongly recommend that you plan your trip back from Florida to VA along the old US 301 route that we had to use before I-95 was completed. It's a longer and more time consuming route but you will be able to vary your speed as recommended and will not get blown off the road when you observe the 55 MPH limit until 1000 miles. I just turned 1000 on my DX 300 yesterday and am most anxious to get it out on the interstate now. Also if you have the Nov system you will have much more opportunity to play with it and get used to it on the alder road that goes through many towns and places of interest. Good luck and enjoy from Williamsburg, VA.
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    Hey guys whatever you do, DO NOT use the terrible spell checker that goes with the Edmunds Town Hall sites. Just sent a message to Arturito and the spell checker completely screwed it up even after I selected the feature that is supposed to override the spell checker. It changed RX to DX (now I know why I see DX on so many posts), changed GS to AS, changed Nav to Nov and changed older to alder. Karen--if you read this--this is a great new site but how about getting Edmunds to eliminate or improve their spell checker. I used to think that we had a bunch of illiterates on these sites but now I know where the real problem is. Thanks.
    I believe the spell check feature is on the list to be fixed/improved, but it isn't a high priority. :-( I've given up on using it all until it does happen.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • rostamzalrostamzal Member Posts: 5
    I have 01 ax with 2200 miles and live in NC. I
    drive mix but mostly in city, and I know it's been cold, but this is crazy. My friends expedition gets better mileage then me. am calling the dealer tomorrow. You guys have any ideas?
  • rostamzalrostamzal Member Posts: 5
    I have 01 rx with 2200 miles and live in NC. I
    drive mix but mostly in city, and I know it's been cold, but this is crazy. My friends expedition gets better mileage then me. I am calling the dealer tomorrow. You guys have any ideas?
  • rxcurerxcure Member Posts: 33
    If you're doing lots of stoplight-to-stoplight driving in a big city, you could be seeing mileage that low. The EPA estimates for city driving on ANY car are based on a mix of open cruising and stop and go. True stop and go will yield lower mileage. Don't worry, if your friend with an Expedition drove the same route, they would be getting much lower mileage than you. If you take the RX out on the open road you'll see mileage over 20.
    Thank you for the advice, as a single woman I don't want to be taken advantage of. I will follow your advice, I'll let you know how I make out.
  • artvid01artvid01 Member Posts: 2
    At 2,000 miles I had the 3M film put on my RX. It already had two small pits in the paint. I do an hour of freeway speed driving to and from work. It cost $325 installed and that was a "show special". My advise is to get it put on before any damage. They say it will come off if you want just by peeling it off. I think it is a good thing. The car I traded in looked like it was sand blasted on the front. That is why I had it done.
  • arturitoarturito Member Posts: 16
    hey tonychris can you please clarify if i should use wholesale or retail value when figuring out lease buyout offer to lessor? thanks beforehand arturito
    I'm no expert on this, but this is what I think you have to do:

1. Find the estimated wholesale and retail on your vehicle based on age, milage, etc.

2. The lessor is not in the business of selling cars, they just want cash, they'll more than likely sell it at auction for wholesale. So you wouldn't offer them wholesale, but since they are not the final reseller (a car dealer) you also would not offer retail since they aren't putting any time or effort into selling/fixing the car.

3. You have to first call them and ask them what they want. If it's not below the mid-mark between the retail and wholesale, I would counter with something closer to wholesale. I think in the end anything slightly above wholesale is fair because it saves them the hassle of transporting and disposing of the vehicle.

4. If you in fact get it close to wholesale, you could then turn around and try to sell it privately for a profit. Many folks have done this but you have to have the stomach for it, i.e., dealing with all kinds of buyers.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • pknguyenpknguyen Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone,
    Thank you for creating this site. Obviously that I just bought a 2001 rx300 with everything except the nav system. love the suv. after considered many alternatives, MDX, highlander, Mercedes, bmw-x5, the final choice is RX300 (for 36K drive-out) at msrp 41k-1.5k discount. what do you all think about the price? The more I drive the more I like it.
    Follow up on Message #11. I called Lexus Financial Services to inquire about buying my leased vehicle and paying for it with cash. I asked if by paying cash the price would be negotiable. The answer was NO. Any suggestions on what to do next?
    Please take a look at Owner's Club Changes to offer your opinion.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    Has anyone used these? How much weight can I carryI can not find any info. in the manual and I do not want to damage the roof. Also the car is supposed to be wired for a hitch I crawled under and looked under the bumper any one know where I should look? Thanks.
    Some of you will notice that your messages from yesterday no longer exist. There was a major hiccup in the system last evening. Edmunds.com apologizes sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    My dealer tells me they are now installing mark levinson stero in the premium package, I have a 2001 anyone know if this is true?
  • boskobosko Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I just got my new 2001 white RX 4WD and it's great. I am hoping this board will help me keep my car in the optimum condition.

I have 50 miles on the odometer in 9 days I am planning to go down to LA (from San Jose, ~450 miles I think) and I am sure the car will not have reached 1000 by then. The manual says "don't drive it over 55", while the dealer said "keep it under 65". Which one should I follow? Any thoughts?

Also, is the suggested 5000 miles maintainance cycle good enough?
    Bosko- what's important during the break-in period is the rpm's on the engine, not necessarily the speed of the vehicle. They only say 55 mph to cover their legal butts.

My personal rule is accelarate slowly and never take it above 3000 rpm diring break in. On the AWD Rex this get you about 71 mph top speed. It's also important to not use cruise control so that you vary the engine rpm's.

Good luck with the trip.
  • ken2239ken2239 Member Posts: 2
    RX OWNERS: Please read article #1620 in the LEXUS Forum III. Thanks
  • hoggrahnhoggrahn Member Posts: 7
    I've had the RX300 (2000) for one year and have driven 16,000 miles both on the interstate and around town using 89 gas. I've tracked the gas mileage from the first mile and the car has averaged 21.0 miles per gallon. I recently had the tinted treatment to match the rear windows put on the front windows. Less heat while driving, but I now get reflections of the A/C vents in the side mirrors which is distraction while driving. If I can't get used to the reflections I'll remove the tint. My wife and I are pleased with the SUV. Had the Infinity tires replaced with Mich. when we first bought the RX and it was a great improvement in handling, but I believe it increased the road noise. Enjoy your RX.
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    I'm picking up my 2002 RX 300 2WD this afternoon. I understand that scheduled oil changes are every 5,000 miles. Is it necessary to perform the first oil change any sooner? Do metal shavings get into the oil during break-in? Also, what are you paying at your dealer for your oil changes?
    If you want your RX to last without burning any oil as it gets older,a) vary your speeds and do not stay at a specific speed for a long period of time for at least the first 500 miles. b) change the oil and filter at 1,000 miles, and again at 2,000 miles, don't let anyone tell you different. You will be a very happy RX owner!
  • yongoyongo Member Posts: 2
    First let me say that I had my 2001 RX300 for approx.9 months & I love it. It is a FWD and I
    did not experience any driving problems driving in
    the Buffalo, NY snow storm in Dec. and I live in FL. My question - has anyone had problems with their GPS on long trips. Driving from FL to Montreal, QC my GPS froze up on me a couple of times. I would appreciate any feedback.
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    The recommended service interval is every 5,000 or four months. If I don't put that many miles on my RX in four months, what is the value in taking it in for service? Does the oil still get dirty or the oil properties change after four months regardless of the number of miles?
  • serenoaserenoa Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2000 RX and am considering buying another. I have seen posts to the effect that there is a $1500 incentive which doesn't show up on the Edmunds web site and that therefore RX's are now going around invoice. I would like to have some input on this and would suggest opening a discussion subject entitled "What did you pay" just like in the I-35 Owners Club.
  • imariquinnimariquinn Member Posts: 96
    I just purchased one and there was no $1500 incentive mentioned, but I did see $2000 off the premium plus package. I picked up a white '02 FWD non-nav with premium plus package (leather, 6 disc CD, cargo mats, net, wheel locks, moonroof, etc) for $34500 in Palm Beach County FL on 1/20. Sticker on the car was $38K and I got $3500 off MSRP after all was said and done. No fees except dealer fees (ugh!) of $495 and TTT. I did all negotiations via email and was out of the dealership in 2 hours. Yeah! Good luck on your search! I heard that PRICELINE was an excellent way to go as well. Christine
  • alden168alden168 Member Posts: 6
    I just got my unit yesterday and paid 33870.00 for the vehicle. 3k drive off (including down)442.00 month/48 month and residual is 19k. Is this a good buy. BTW MSRP is 37180.00 with 2k value package discount. Do I have to pay the acquisition of 595.00 that was added to the vehicle. According to the Salesman, it was the charged of the leasing company. Is he right about that fee.
  • cchismcchism Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my new RX300 In Oxnard Ca. Yesterday. So far it is great. I got the 4wd model with everything except Nav. I plan on changing oil at 1000 and 2000 miles. Then every 3000 miles after that, cheap insurance. This appears to be a very nice board, i just don't have any questions yet.
    A major daily newspaper is looking for luxury SUV owners to talk about why they bought their vehicles and what they like/dislike about them. We're defining luxury as the traditional luxury brands (Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, Lincoln, etc). Please respond with your contact information and vehicle description to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than May 10.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • bob178bob178 Member Posts: 1
    2 Items, one the cost of the replacement disk for RX300 (2001) nav System. The system does not cover the County Seat of the largest county in New Jersey. That's where I live. Even the Salesman did not believe me and tried it on another car. Guess what it don't work. Dlr tells me $495 plus tax installed for an updated disk. ????????
    Second did anybody have the Audi problem on the RX300 of having and unexpected acceleration. I was stopped or coming to a stop on three occasions when the RX just reved and lurched forward. I was in drive and cruise control
    Comments please/
    Bob M
    Moore-2-15-2@att.net
  • wtsaowtsao Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone been able to get the Lexus Web side registration work? I just can not believe that how bad their web side is! I have been tried few weeks and unable to get it to work. If they can not even get the Web side work, I don't know how do they use their computer to design a good car?
    Two months after we purchased the RX300, we did not received any survey letter or any letter from Lexus. MB always contact us for surveys and try to see if there anything they can do to satisfiy customer.
  • j21210j21210 Member Posts: 3
    Help! Just bought a NEW 2002 Coach Lexus RX300 SUV on July 12, 2002. I was delighted! New car, new leather, new piece of luxury!!!
    In one week...it sputtered, chugged, and when I immediately went to the dealer...they could not find anything wrong.
    The second week it lost and drive when moving into first gear...back to the dealer.
    Three days later they called...the transmission was DEAD!
    They want to replace the transmission, I want a new car.
    Lexus in California quoted Marylan's Lemon Law (they have four opportunities to fix the car).
    NOT ONE PERSON SAID..."we are sorry..." not the Service Rep, the Sales Rep, the Dealer, nor the Customer Service Rep in California.
    I am sick...where is the great luxury? where is the great customer service?
    PS
    Web site is down...I tried for days...then called.. I said: "why don't you put this on the web site: CLOSED FOR REPAIRS.
    WHERE IS THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE?
    LEXUS and Service are an oxymoron!!!
  • dearadeara Member Posts: 9
    Just bought an '02 rx300 fwd last month and I love it. I guess I have the same questions as everyone else:

1. what octane gasoline is best?

2. recommended oil changes 3,000 or 5,000?

3. best tires. mine came with the Goodyear Intergrity.
    I live in Southeast Penna. I drive short distances on a daily basis(10-15 miles) and average about 100-150 miles of travel on the weekends
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    1. "Requires" 87 octane, the V6 has knock sensors which will tell the engine ecu if the timing needs adjusting.
    1a. "Best" is preminum, but only if you're into discarding money.

2. 7500 miles is the factory recommendation. If I were not doing it myself I would probably stick to the factory recommendation. Since I do it myself I do oil (modil 1) and filter (factory, keep the purchase receipts)about every 3 to 4k miles.

3. Best tires = quietest tires = summer only tires.

3a. In the past with Jeeps I always ran summer tires and then kept a complete set (4) of tire chains along in the winter months. Tire chains cannot be used on the RX without undue hazard to one's life so I ungraded to 17X8 wheels (1.2" spacers all around) and Michelin CT's.

Have a look at post #584 in "what's wrong with Lexus ???" and on clublexus.com's RX300 thread "air filtration questions" for more important information about your purchase.
  • dearadeara Member Posts: 9
    thank you for your comments wwest. to clarify I wanted to know which octane is preferred 87 vs 89. I'm not into spending extra money if I don't need to. same goes for the oil changes, I read an earlier post that suggested an initial oil change at 1,000 miles again at 2,000 miles and every 3,000 mile thereafter. Finally I am considering upgrading my tires from the Goodyear integrity to the Bridgestone Dueler h/t or h/l.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I ran 87 octane in my 00 RX and have mostly run 87 octane in my 01 RX (both V6s). The exceptions being that a few times I ran preminum to check the mileage and see if there was any noticeable performance differences. The answer was no on both counts.

I have two answers for you on oil changes. If you use the dealer I would stick to the recommeded 7500 oil & filter schedule. I would also advise you to have the service writer note that you want only the recommended non-rough service maintenance items performed, and I would make doubly sure he has actually written it that way before I sign the work order.

Because of the known oil gelling problem in the RX V6 most dealers will attempt to sell you on more often oil changes. My response would be "since it's your problem to solve only if you're paying the bill".

Since I do my own work I tend to change oil and filter every 3 to 4k miles.

For my 01 porsche C4 the factory recommendation is 15,000 miles between oil changes, bit ZMobil 1 only.
  • danny29danny29 Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering buying a RX300 in the northeast. Several of the dealers that I've contacted said that over 95% of the RX300s shipped to the northeast are fully loaded (premium pkg plus, and wood/leather steering, hi-intensity lights, heated front seats, spoiler, wheel locks, and cargo mat). Is this true that Lexus manufacturers build them fully loaded so that you can't buy one without some of these options? The quote I'm getting is between $36k to $37k. Is this a good buy?
  • aaraar Member Posts: 1
    New to Town Hall but 4.25 yrs driving my 99 RX300 with 87 Octane.

I also 2nd that higher octane does not provide better MPG.
  • gcrim21gcrim21 Member Posts: 11
    had 'oil gelling' problems. However, we have not experienced the problem in any of our vehicles, (Avalon, 4Runner and 1999 RX300). I have used Mobil 1 oil for seventeen plus years and never had problems where oil was a factor. I have always used the vehicle manufacturers oil filters regardless of make. I change oil at 18,000 - 20,000 mile intervals. Never had a problem with Mobil 1. I would not recommend going that long with any other oil though.
This discussion has been closed.