Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX Accessories

Comments

• daqueenofshebadaqueenofsheba Member Posts: 1
    any clue where to get the honeycomb grill that came on the rx 300 coach edition? i wanted to replace that with the grill on the 03 rx 300. thanks.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Try Itontoad:

Click Here

Pete
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Do cupholders and other accessories make or break vehicle sales? A reporter with a daily newspaper is wondering if shoppers are testing these components for utility, durability, aesthetics, etc before deciding whether the attached vehicle is right for their needs. If this is one of your shopping criteria, please by respond with your comments to jfallon@edmunds.com by February 25.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• maxappealmaxappeal Member Posts: 17
    Here's a link to my brother's RX customized with 20's, Alpine DVD, etc.

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=239240- &make_type_query=make%3DLexus&model_brand_query=model%3DR- X-Series&tree=Lexus%20RX-Series

Let me know what you think. I had the car customized by 310 Motoring. All dealers and other aftermarket spots told me an aftermaket stereo was impossible to install. When there's a will, there's a way!
  • lfong1lfong1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2 wheel drive, pearl white 2003 RX 300 that I bought two days ago.

I'd love to have a wood steering wheel and wood shift knob. But haven't been able to find it anywhere but the dealer.

Any ideas?

THANKS!
  • bh3685bh3685 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking to get a hitch, as others have, for my '99 RX. Looking on lexuspartsmall.com, they say their class II hitch is for a 4x2. I have an AWD, anyone installed a hitch on a AWD? Also looking to add a wood trimmed wheel and shifter, only advice i've gotten so far is EBay. Thanks...
    Check the Hidden Hitch website:

Hidden Hitch

Their "Fit Guide" shows both a Class II and a Class III available for the 98-03 RX. I installed their Class II on my 99 RX a couple years ago. Very easy, took less than ½ hour working alone. Fastens to six existing weld nuts in the frame using M10-1.25 fine thread metric bolts included. All you need are 14mm and 16mm wrenches. Mine is FWD but I'm certain the mounting and fit on AWD is identical.

Pete
    picked up the wood steering on ebay for $250. paid lexus $100 for installation (15 min. of labor).
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    What year is your RX?
    it is a 2002.
  • nikyvnikyv Member Posts: 3
    Ok, I just got a 2000 RX 300 and looked closely at the headlight and taillight assemblies. The ones on the new 2003 version are much "cooler" than the ones on my 2000 model. Can I simply buy the new versions and easily replace them? If so, about how much? Yes, I am holding on....waiting for sticker shock. But is it doable...easily?
    Nikyv
  • sam133sam133 Member Posts: 1
    I found the RX300 look a lot nicer with the lighted running board. i just purchse one(pair).
    Try doing a search, I believe this has been discussed on this forum in the past. Very expensive proposition as I recall!

Pete
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    as long as you're careful not to bark your shins....
  • spn006spn006 Member Posts: 1
    Recently baught certified '01 RX300. It has the remote starter, but dealer says they did not receive the remote from the previous seller, Is there any way the lexus remote can be programmed to remote start the car or what are the other options?

Thanks in advance!
    I'm quite sure that remote starter is an aftermarket product, not OEM Lexus. This thread from Lexus Owners Club may be helpful:

Lexus Remote Starter

Pete
  • jov1jov1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello....I'm new to this site. I just recently purchased my RX 300 and I'm looking for after market accesories. i.e....woodgrain steering wheels, clear taillights and other stuff if anyone got some info. please pass it on thanks. I don't know if it was mentioned before but I would to get some info.
  • ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    You can give these places a try.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/
    http://www.irontoad.com
  • justin311justin311 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2000 rx and like many people who asked the same question but still can't get to the answer. Like jov1, I am looking for a pair of aftermarket clear tail lights like those in year 2001 and above but I can't find it. And no, irontoad.com or lexuspart.com don't carry them. Will sincerely appreciate your help to the real source. Thanks.
  • grfx25grfx25 Member Posts: 2
    Can Anybody recomend a good tire... with a quiet ride and good handling.
  • margaretemargarete Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a bumper guard that mounts to prevent front and rear end scratches (NOT the top rear bumper guard that I already have). I read Tony's message #28, but the link to the guards he recommends is no longer good. Do you (or anyone) know where I can purchase such guards? I'd prefer some kind of rubber molding, if okay looking. I'd rather NOT put grille guards or big hardware on my beautiful newly purchased champagne gold 1999 RX300. All in-put appreciated. THANKS!!!
  • QuazimotoQuazimoto Member Posts: 15
    grfx25,

What tires do you have now? I have the Bridgstone Duelers on my RX and I like them.
  • andy3andy3 Member Posts: 5
    My installer and I are stumped as to where to place the Delphi XM Satellite Radio unit on the RX 300 dashboard. We do not want to impede the passenger side airbag, the two pull-out trays in the mid to lower front center of the between seats console, the swing-down door for the CD player/maps compartment, and we do not want to impede driver visibility by placing the unit anywhere in the driver's field of vision from the driver's seat. Any suggestions?
  • paulblue02paulblue02 Member Posts: 9
    My solution to this "problem" seven months ago was to use a cell phone bracket designed to "fit" in the groove between the wood trim and the side panel of the front console. A quick google/yahoo search of lexus cell phone bracket will point you in the right direction. The Delphi XM car kit will mount with enough clearance for the glove box, does not block the driver's view, and it is low enough and to the left of the passenger seat to not be a problem with the passenger side air bag. This location also allows the driver and or the passenger to be able to "view" the unit and safely change channels. I will take a few pictures and post them for you to check it out.

One nice option with this installation is it is a "drill" free installation, so if Lexus ever decides to come out with a satellite module that integrates into the existing system or if you need to move the Delphi to another vehicle it can removed without any trace it had ever been installed.
    Willis, I do not use a service/place to upload pictures to the Internet to link to them, so if you would like to see the pictures of my Rx300 with the Delphi XM radio installed just send me an e-mail and I will send them to you. I tried to send them to you, but your e-mail appears to be out of date.
  • maddmaxmaddmax Member Posts: 2
    Paul - if you don't mind, I would greatly appreciate pictures of your Delphia installation. I just got my 01 RX300 and love it but am seriously missing my XM. I had the Alpine XM built-in but my husband doesn't want to upset the original Lexus equipment so told me I have to use our Delphi from the boombox. Thank you!
    the installation pics have been sent per your request. Please let me know if they convince your husband to do the install.
  • newbieexv6newbieexv6 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Paul,

I appreciate if you could forward that to newbieexv6@hotmail.com as I have just bought mine 04 RX330 and the first thing that I wanted to have on it is XM. Your help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.
  • ellthreeellthree Member Posts: 3
    If possible, could you email the satellite install pics to me too?! (ell_three@yahoo.com).
    Also, I'm interested to know, is anyone using an input adaptor to connect their Satellite units, or are you modulating over FM? I have an '01 RX300, and am desperate for an aux input instead of cassette adaptor or FM modulation.

Most appreciated.
    THanks
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I've been looking forever for a double-wide armrest for my wife's RX300 with no luck. It seems now that I have found the PERFECT product... BUT for the PT cruiser.

Here's a link to the pic of what I'm looking for:

http://www.jjproducts.net/PTCruiser/CenterArmrest.html

Does anyone know if there is a "Lexus" version of this anywhere out there? Those little folding thingies on the RX are my only gripe about the vehicle.
  • mr_waltmr_walt Member Posts: 1
    #80 of 83 to Paulblue02 by newbieexv6 Feb 06, 2004 (10:50 pm)

Hi Paul,

I appreciate if you could forward that to newbieexv6@hotmail.com as I have just bought mine 04 RX330 and the first thing that I wanted to have on it is XM. Your help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.
    Hi, this is Walt out in Sacramento. 11-20-04
    I too have a RX330 and would like to install the XM unit. I may discontinue my Skyfi and buy a Roady 2 and mount it in the center console (the part that clam shells open. it come with a built-in fm modulator.

Any better ideas?

walter.wood@sbcglobal.net
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Posting your email address is not a good idea on a public message board as the spybots that troll through will pick it up and you will most likely begin receiving spam email. As only forum members can access other member profiles, you can make your email address public and then reference members to check your profile for your address. You have 30 minutes to edit/delete after posting your message. After the 30 minute window, only a host can delete your post.

If you have any questions/concerns, please let me know. My email is in my profile.
  • sailhome1sailhome1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of an MP3 CD changer unit that will replace the factory CD changer in the glove compartment of my 1999 Lexus RX300? It doesn't say Nakamichi, so I'm guessing it is the base head unit.
  • mikeytmikeyt Member Posts: 22
    Proud owner of a 99 RX looking for advice on a wooden steering wheel. I know where to get one (ebay) it's just that the fitment of the 01 and up RX300's concerns me. I read somewhere that someone put a 01 wood in a 99 and the space around the airbag in between the wheel was larger than with the original wheel. Are the 99-00 air bags smaller than 01-03 or is the wheel bigger, please help. Also, dash colors available I believe are black grey or sandlwood, is this right?
  • migaremigare Member Posts: 1
    NEED CLEAR TAILLIGHTS 2000 RX300, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO FIND THEM, AS WELL AS THE RADIATOR PLASTIC COVER, AND LOWER GRILL ?
    THANKS
    MIKE
    I' ve seen them on ebay.
    Also, Lextasy.com,autonetperformance.com, etc. These should help. Just Google search the item.
  • lknmanlknman Member Posts: 1
    Saw your post and offer to send a picture, could I request a picture as well? Thanks

Rusty
    I guess try ebay for the lights and lower grill, but the radiator cover might be hard. See what the dealer wants, it can't be that much.
  • sjgroovesjgroove Member Posts: 4
    We just bought our RX 300 today and have been trying to figure out how to work the CD player - I guess there is supposed to be a CD changer in the glove box - is that correct? There is nothing in ours and I have seen them on E-bay but don't know how they are supposed to connect - there doesn't seem to be a plug in the glove box but appears to be a hole in it that maybe leads to a plug? Help!
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have a '99 so I can't say for sure it is the same as your 2000 but I have a unit that sits over the glove box. You access it by opening the glove box door. It takes a 6 cd cartridge. For my '99 I purchased Pioneer JD-T612 cassettes because they were quite a bit less than the Lexus cartridges.
  • auroralexusauroralexus Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 RX 300 and discoverd no owners manual. Do you know a convenient website where I can purchase one?
    They are about $30 at Lexus dealers.
    Try Irontoad.com, they discount most Lexus parts 20%.

Pete :)
  • dcymbordcymbor Member Posts: 3
    I registered as an owner on the Lexus Website and from there you can order an owner's manual free.
  • jasonm1jasonm1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone recommend a bike rack for a 2002 RX300?
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    I have a 2001 rx300 and I bought a draw-tite hitch mounted Bike carrier. It can hold from 2-3-4 bikes with an adapter. It is great because when mounted on the back of the hatch back it tilts for easy access to the rear of the RX. Go to www.draw-tite.com and take a look! I did not want one on the top of the car as I heard from others it is more difficult to remove!
    Just completed the stage 1 mod to my 2001 AWD RX300.

Have had too many instances of sudden and spontaneous windshield fogging with no ability to quickly remove condensation.

In defog/demist/defrost mode the Toyota/Lexus automatic climate control system relies EXCLUSIVELY on the ability of the A/C to dehumidify the incoming airflow. If that airflow is already warm enough or heavily laden with moisture the operation of the A/C will dehumidify the incoming airflow and thereby create enough vapor pressure over the interior surface of the windshield to rapidly evaporator the condensation.

The problem is that the ability for the A/C to efficiently perform this function is highly dependent on the level of moisture, Rh, relative humidity, of that airflow. In most northern, colder in the winter, regions of the US Rh actually declines with temperature and so the ability of the system to perform the defog/demist function also declines precipitously so below about 47F.

As a matter of fact even though the design itself is such that the A/C is disabled below ~35F Toyota/Lexus STILL relies on the probability that fresh incoming airflow will be dry enough to rapidly defog the windshield, a new form of Russian roulette.

As of ~2001 they added a new C-best option that allows RX300 owners, and maybe others, to unlink the automatic enabling of the A/C compressor when the climate control system is put into fully automatic mode. A second option will also unlink the A/C from operating automatically, without the driver's knowledge, in defog/demist mode.

While I remain an advocate of the use of the A/C as an aid in defogging the interior surface of the windshield the manufacturers need to recognize that in too many instances this method alone will either be far too slow or completely non-functional, whereas FRESH incoming HEATED airflow to the windshield's interior surface will ALWAYS work. Heating the airflow can dramatically lower its Rh, raising the vapor pressure substantially thereby resulting in virtually immediate vaporization of interior windshield surface condensation.

Additionally, and this is REALLY IMPORTANT, applying heated airflow continuously will raise the temperature of the windshield surface such that it moves substantially above the dewpoint of the "local" atmosphere.

If you own a new RX400h you will find a note within the owners manual indicating that the climate control system will automatically switch to floor/footwell outflow mode once the OAT drops below ~35F. That's because they just disabled the A/C compressor and now unless the windshield receives at least some level of heated airflow it will soon fog over.

When your system is in cooling mode, dash or dash/floor airflow paths enabled, there is NO warming airflow to the interior surface of the windshield and therefore it can, and may, chill to the dewpoint of the local atmosphere.

I fully expect that Toyota and Lexus will now begin to see not just a few lawsuits from accidents, injuries, and even deaths due to instances of sudden windshield fogging during wintertime operations of the RX400h. Automatically routing even a small portion of system airflow to the interior surface of an already thoroughly CHILLED windshield, at the same instant (OAT declining below ~35F) the A/C compressor becomes disabled, is likely to dramatically increase the number of incidents of sudden and spontaneous (to the driver) windshield fogging.

But the main problem in all of this is what happens to the remaining this layer of condensate (too thin to accumulate into droplets and run down the drain) on the chilled evaporator vanes, 10,000 square inches thereof, once the A/C compressor is disabled automatically as the OAT declines below ~35F. Or you simply "exit" the defog/demist mode not knowing, with no indication thereof, that the A/C was operating and now you have just turned it off, potentially releasing a huge MOISTURE BOMB that will soon quickly coat your already chilled windshield.

The C-best options in my RX300 have been set such that only I control my future lifeline. I only enable my A/C if the air temperature and/or the MRT require it. That means that it is never enabled during the winter months. Beats having to disconnect the A/C compressor clutch power lead each fall and then reconnect it the next spring.

What we have done with my 2001 RX300 is add an ECU, microprocessor, that manipulates the climate control ECU's input signals such that when I activate defog/demist/defrost mode the system will ALWAYS provide a high level of HOT airflow to the interior surface of the windshield.

When activating defog/demist/defrost there will be a slight delay(***) and then the reheat/remix apportioning vane will automatically move to the max heating position and then the blower speed will go to full "high".

*** The new ECU detects that the system is in defog/demist/defrost mode by "watching" the system outflow routing servomotor's feedback potentiometer. When defog mode is activated and the servomotor has moved the airflow routing to the windshield outflow position the new ECU takes over control of the reheat/remix servomotor and moves it to the MAX HEAT position. Once it has reached the max heat position the blower motor speed is raised to maximum.

The new ECU will remain in control of the system for a minimum of 45 seconds and then it will relinquish control back to the parent system's OEM ECU.

In my 1992 Lexus LS400 I was able to accomplish this with a simple switch that added a resistance in line with the IAT (cabin atmosphere temperature sensor). The added resistance caused the climate control ecu to "think" the cabin had instantly gotten a LOT colder and it would therefore quickly raise the heating level and the blower speed.

Somewhere between 92 and 2001 the engineers had added some digital signal processing for the various sensors and now the climate control ECU does not react to a "sudden" decline of the cabin temperature until about 20 seconds have elapsed. And even then it does so in increments.

The new ECU design still forces a cabin COLD signal from the IAT sensor to the OEM ECU. But since that ECU will not react to such a dramatic, quick, (INSTANT)temperature change in the cabin atmosphere we have added new capability. After the 45 second delay the OEM ECU will have recognized, fully, the COLD state of the cabin atmosphere.

After the 45 second delay the AMKA ECU will return control to the OEM ECU, EXCEPT for maintaining the FALSE cabin cold signal from the IAT sensor. That will be removed, negated, only by leaving the defog/demist/defrost mode.

Once the defog/demist/defrost mode is deactivated it will take ~25 seconds for the OEM ECU's digital signal processing algorithm to adjust to the now correct cabin atmosphere temperature indication. So for that 25 second interval the driver will notice the blower speed and the airflow heating level decline incrementally.

Hop
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    I have a 2000 RX300, and I like it a lot. But to be honest, I always have found it a little too soft riding. I switched to H-rated severe weather tires (Nokian) and that firmed it up a bit.

Any thoughts or experiences about firming it up a bit more, without going insane? I don't expect that TRD will have much - this isn't a TRD-target car. I have never altered springs/shocks/antisway bars. The service writer suggested I might get some help if I upsize the wheels/tires, which I could consider.

Thanks in advance for any help. Tim
  • calicopcalicop Member Posts: 1
    We never received an owners manual for our 2000 rx300. Does anyone know how to program the garage door opener buttons above the driver's sun visor?
This discussion has been closed.