Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid

Comments

• richardnvarichardnva Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the feedback.

What is the "typical" maintenance schedule for an E-Class?
    I see that the 3 year prepaid maintenance is $769.
    If oil changes are every 10k miles and I only drive 10k/year then I plan on only needing about three oil changes / tire rotations over a 3 year period
    I'm guestimating that MB oil changes are a minimum of $100 and probably about $125, so that would $375 for 3 oil changes.
    I'm guessing there's a "major" service interval around 15k miles where they replace all the filters and other service items.
    I don't see how all that adds up to almost $800 over three years.
    Would appreciate some feedback on this.
    Thanks!
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    Maintenance can be added to the lease, but you are incorrect in thinking that you only pay the original cost less the residual value. If you add in $800 of maintenance to your two year e350 Bluetec lease, do you really think that you only pay 25% of that amount over the life of the lease? You pay $800 (plus interest by the way) over the 24 months.

Just because you add something like maintenance or fees to the cost of the lease doesn't mean you now only pay 25% of it ...

Think about it....
  • storm10storm10 Member Posts: 260
    I'm absolutely correct. The trick is MBF will let you residualize only certain amount like $699 or close to it. So you can increase your residual dollar amount by $699. Now the dealer can sell you maintenance for example for $899 and it will raise the selling price. Unfortunately only $699 part will be residualized.

However, you are right, 24 month lease does not make sense to get maintenance, because you'll service your car only once during the entire lease. MB prepaid maintenance is minimum 2yrs/ 24 months, so it will be waste of money...
    Well, if you take your car to Jiffy Lube and they screw up something, guess what: warranty will not cover the repair! And besides changing oil, dealers do a lot of other staff. If you take your car to the dealership there will be 3 services within 3 years:

Service A is about $250;
    Service B is about $400;
    Service C is about $300.

If you put maintenance in the lease - you will save, because it will be residualized. Here is what you need to do:

1st make a deal. AFTER you make a deal and agree on the monthly payment. Only after that, you need to tell them that you need to add pre-paid maintanance for no more than $10-$12 per month. If they don't want it, then you walk and NO DEAL!... Trust me they'll take it.

$10 x 36 months = $360. You do the math...
    edited September 2011
    storm10....I will stop by my dealer tomorrow, we'll call mercedes together and see which of us is correct.

I think you are confusing "negotiating" with the mechanics/calculations of the mercedes lease....but I have been wrong before. However, Mercedes does have maintainance as an option on the car in their configurator, which is why I am now very curious.....
    Thanks. What's the trigger for the A,B,C service intervals?
    Is it mileage (Service A @ 10,000 miles),
    or time based (Service A @ 1 year)

I'm considering a 3 year least and wondering if I average 10k miles/year resulting in 30,000 miles over the life of the lease if I'd ever hit the trigger for the C Service.

Thanks!
    In theory, it is whichever comes first. From a practical standpoint, most probably just follow the miles and ignore the time.

I can't answer the other part of your question. Mercedes does insist that you get the services done, as part of the lease agreement, but if you are returning the car back at the end of three years with around 30K miles on it, my guess is that you would not have to do the C service.
    No need to call to MB, just talk with dealerships Finance Manager. I'm talking exactly about mechanics/calculations. But you can still negotiate the selling price of the maintenance package.

By the way, besides maintenance, you can residualize rear seat video systems, spoilers, wheels, running boards etc...
  • raymmerraymmer Member Posts: 16
    Guys, I leased my E350 for 33 months at the end of April. The final item that the finance guy did was showed me that I could get the two year maintenance for less than $10/month in my lease. That is less than $330 for the two year maintenance. I of course took it where before I had initially rejected it.
    This is getting much more interesting. My dealer did not offer me the mercedes STAR service package....they only offered their "premium service package." I just talked to their finance manager who waffled around about how maintenance is handled on a lease. I asked her to do some research and come back with facts, not guesses. It will be interesting to see how this comes out....you may have saved me some money on my car.

Every time I lease, I learn something new.....
    Don't forget, if you leased for 24 months/20,000 miles, this program may not work for you very well, because you'll need only 1 maitenance. Chances are you'll get out from your lease a few months early, because they have this Loyalty programs.
    I found the maintenance schedule here:
    http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/maintenancebooklets/2011_Mainten- ance_Manual.pdf

Scheduled maintenance is every:
    5000 miles = tire rotation
    10,000 miles or 1 year = oil change, wiper blades, fluids

So on a 3 year lease assuming <10,000 miles/year, would I need the 3 year maintenance plan or would the 2 year do?

I'd return the car right before the third major service interval.

The third year's tire rotation would be out of the plan.
    Does anyone know how much just a tire rotation would be at a MB dealer?
    Thoughts on this approach?
    When you turn in your car, they will measure tread depth....they don't care if you rotated the tires once, five times or never. If your measured tread is too low, it won't matter if you did rotations on schedule or not.
    1st of all, I would not go for 36 mo. On 2011 E350 sedan you need to go 24 or 33 months...
  • reh4reh4 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for my tardy reply. We only had the USAA $4k discount and a customer loyalty discount for owning a MB. As I mentioned in my original post, the sticker on the car was $56,495 (P1/Folding Rear Seat/Spoiler/Wheels). On my sales contract, it shows the sales price of the vehicle as $50,000 and then it shows a $4,000 rebate has been applied. bringing the price to $46K. So, I honestly can't tell you how they structured their discounts. I was more concerned with the bottom line.

I read through the posts here, and then went into the dealership and told them what I wanted. Their first offer was $48,400. I told them I would pay $46,000 and they agreed (my husband and I were both surprised because there was no haggling) We had financing lined up through Pentagon Federal at 2.49% for 5 years and they offered to match it, I told them they needed to beat the rate for us to go with them and they offered 1.99% for 60 months (the loan is actually through Bank of America instead of MB Financial).

We only paid the tax, title and license fees required here in Texas. I made sure there were no add-on fees for using their financing. We purchased the car instead of leasing - so I don't know if that makes a difference. I did not trade my old car in.

They had to bring the car from another dealership (we got the Iridium silver with the wheel package - tough to find in Houston) and we had to wait an extra couple of days. The car had just over 100 miles on it when it arrived, and I was planning on walking from the deal. They ended up throwing in the window tint and the maintenance package to salvage the deal.

Hope the information is helpful. We purchased the car at MB Houston North.
  • gosox1gosox1 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, regarding the Parktronic, it's on our 2011 E350 4matic, and we have the P1 with back up camera. I didn't find Parktronic to be designed welll, as the audible sounds only kick in about a low 2 feet and they don't get louder/intense as you get closer. There are some visual light bars on the command screen that indicate closeness. I found this system not as easy to use as the basic beeps on the Hondas.
  • bdewittbdewitt Member Posts: 13
    Woooohhhh.... back up. "The car had just over 100 miles on it when it arrived, and I was planning on walking from the deal."

Ummm, why? They had to get the car from another dealer!! It's 100 miles.... and you thretened to walk away? Just curious why 100 miles would make you walk away from the deal. Personally, if I were the dealer, I would have laughed you off of the lot.... Come on, man.... get real.

I just picked up a white 2011 E350 4matic on Saturday. They didn't have the exact car I wanted, so they also had to get it from another dealer. The car had 240 miles when I took delivery.
    Any idea why MB uses a 33 month term instead of 36?
    I've had 2 other leases and they've both been 36 month.
    Not a big deal either way, just curious as to the rationale.
    Thanks.
    Thanks for the feedback on the Parktronic. If I'm going to get P1 anyway, doesn't sound like the extra money for parktronic is worth it. I have a backup camera now and it's fine. My wife had sensors on her SUV and I prefered the "no look" detection and the extra sensors on the front bumper. I'll probably skip the parktronic, I don't need the park assist since I never need to parallel park where I live. Thanks!
    Right, I understand the issue with tread depth. That wasn't my point. Tire rotation helps even out the wear, but doesn't necessarily prevent/reduce wear. Since I drive less than 10k a year, I don't anticipate having to buy new tires at the end of a three year lease.

I was asking how much MB charges for a tire rotation.

I'm trying to get an accurate assessment of the total cost of ownership for the first three years.

I understand that I have to get the car serviced at MB if I lease it, but is it worth it to use the prepaid maintenance or if I'm a low mileage driver is it advantegous to go "a la carte"?

To phrase it another way, it I didn't prepay the maintenance, what maintenance costs should I expect to pay.
    How much is an "a la carte" oil change?
    How much is a tire rotation?
    What else could I expect to pay?

I took my Infiniti in for scheduled maintence at around 12,000 or 15,000 and it was over $600, largely due to the replacement of "wear" items like multiple air and cabin filters, wipers, etc. Big surprise, so I'm trying to get info on what to expect from MB.

BTW: Infiniti as also started charging a $6/day fuel charge on loaner cars... :confuse: The cost isn't the issue, it's the fact that they don't tell you up front and the promise of the "free" loaner during the sale.
    I believe that Mercedes requires you to have the recommended STAR service on their schedule, so a la carte would not include all of the inspections and I guess they could say you didn't service the car properly (I just started my first Mercedes lease and this is what I was told). Mercedes offers prepaid maintenance for those things that are required....and as I've learned here, it can be residualized, so you effectively pay only the difference between what it cost you..and the residual value. For my e350 BlueTec, I would have paid only .23 of the mercedes cost. If you are leasing, it is probably the best deal in town. If you don't take it, you pay the full cost of the maintenance (and each dealer charges different hourly rates so it varies.

(I am having discussion, so far friendly, with my dealer because they did not offer me the mercedes maintenance when I leased the car)

Previously, I had three leased Infiniti M's and never had a "preconfigured" service done on any of them. I changed the oil and filters at the dealer. I never had a problem returning any car at the end of the lease. As of early August, my Infiniti dealer did not charge for loaners....it's probably a dealer decision. (I returned my M37 early on a 39 month lease (hated it) and leased an e350 BlueTec for 24 months at the end of August). BTW, I am paying less per month on the Mercedes due to the extremely high residual on the BlueTec e.
  • reh4reh4 Member Posts: 3
    My husband is the one who laughed at me!!! The dealer didn't, they were actually quite nice (and I was too). Guess it's a good thing you weren't my dealer!!!! It certainly worked out well on my end - one of the easiest car buying experiences I've had.

I hope you enjoy your car, i'm happy with mine so far.
    The reason to go 33 months is residual value does not change from 30 months, so you are effectively getting 3 mo almost for free. So if you spread the total of 30 months over the 33 months - you will end up with the lowest monthly payment, which is your goal.
    Interesting... I more of a performance enthusiast so I've never given the diesel a second thought. What's the difference on the residual for the diesel vs. gas?
    edited September 2011
    The diesel residual on a 12K lease in September is 76% on a two year lease. The gas cars are in the high 60's. For every 1% on a $60,000 car, you will pay a bit more than $25/mo on a 24 mo lease.....so for a comparably priced gas car, figure that it will cost you at least $160 more per month on a 24 month lease.

It's an incredible bargain...and by the way, it drives wonderfully and it isn't slow by any means.
  • wareaglejimwareaglejim Member Posts: 4
    Have never posted before. Bought a new 2011 E class this week. MSRP $55,775.00.The dealer had to locate it from another dealer ( an additional$595.00 delivery fee). I traded in a 2008 E class (42,200 miles). The final price was $22715.00 (inc taxes and title). This is the fifth (5th) E class that I have bought from the same dealership.
  • bullsmentor123bullsmentor123 Member Posts: 11
    It's hard to tell without knowing the selling price of the 2011 E class you purchased, and the price the dealership agreed to paying you for your trade-in. A $55k 2011 E-class have been bought for as low ~$45-46k according to some reports here.
  • aplotaplot Member Posts: 3
    I see numerous messages where buyers were able to negotiate up to 18% off window price for 2011 E350. The maximum I was able to get is 10% in North Jersey. This included discounts and rebates. Any help?
  • aawaaraaawaara Member Posts: 9
    I have dealer who is offering E350 w/ P1 (MSRP: $54,000) for invoice - $1,500 (invoice: $50,000). But he said I can't add both $1,500 incentive and $4,000 conquest to get the car for $43,000. Is this true?
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    YES, HE IS CORRECT. You can't add two incentives together, unless it is a Mercedes Benz Financial incentive, if available.

One or the other, not both.

Good luck.

2021 Genesis G90

Currently, if you drive a luxury vehicle, but not a Mercedes, you can get $4000 off sticker. There is also a USAA membership incentive which gives you "invoice" less $4000 off. You cannot combine any other incentives with either of these UNLESS Mercedes Benz Financial is offering a $1500 incentive to those who currently have a lease or loan with them.

I am not aware of any other discounts or incentives available at this time.

Thus, if you cannot qualify for a USAA discount or a conquest discount, then the 10% under sticker is not a bad deal. That would be below invoice for the vehicle and, in addition, they are probably giving you additional discounts using their hold back.

Without any other information from you, I cannot tell if you are getting the best deal or not.

Do you qualify for the conquest discount?
    Do you qualify for the USAA discount?

If not to either of the above, then 10% is not a bad deal.

Good LUck.

2021 Genesis G90

Thanks for quick response.
    The 10% does include conquest discount.
    I do not have USAA discount.

Would you say the 18% includes both discounts?

Any recomendations on dealers in North Jersey? Prestige only offers 10% (including Conquest).

Perhaps it is wise to wait for 2012s (in my case).

Thanks
    No, I believe you have a good deal considering you can only qualify for the $4000 conquest discount. Let's assume your new car lists for $56000. Take $4000 off that, and that gets you to $52000, or right about where invoice is. If he is giving you an additional discount to get you to $50,000, then that is a pretty good deal. I don't know of any other dealers in your area since I am in south florida.

However, no matter where you are, the deal is still a good one. Remember, there are not alot of E350's around. My dealer has only 4 left, and the dealers in my area (all owned by the same corporate giant), have less than 14 combined E350 sedans.

The 2012's are expected in by October 1st. so they are not that motivated to sell their remaining E350's at deep discounts. I am sure most dealers are jsut about out of E350 sedans.

I ordered a new 2012 for myself, and it should be at the dealership in about 2 or 3 weeks. I was just up to the dealership, and his inventory of 2011's is very, very low. Even the 5 other Mercedes dealerships within 30 miles of mine (remember, all owned by the same company), have next to nothing left.

Good luck.

2021 Genesis G90

• enigma2806enigma2806 Member Posts: 8
    I think you can do better than $5500 off... have you spoken to anyone in the neighboring states to NYC?

I was able to get 9k off MSRP on a E550 (even harder to find). I ended up at 54k for E550 P1, Leather, Parktronic, Sport, so I am not sure you want to pay 50k for an E350... maybe see if they have any 550's left and get a better engine etc.
    First of all, the 550 IS NOT A BETTER ENGINE! It burns more gas, and why would someone want more than 268 horsepower on today's roads?

Remember, he does not qualify for the conquest discount nor does he qualify for the USAA discount. Thus, the dealer is selling him the car for almost $2000 under invoice for the vehicle. He is probably giving him the $1500 incentive available.

What makes you think the E550 has a better engine? Because it has more horsepower and burns more fuel?

2021 Genesis G90

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    " Because it has more horsepower "

I think it's that part... ;)

While noting your observations on fuel economy, the vast majority of people would agree...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Fellows,

You both have valid points.

I do qualify for Conquest Rebate. The 10% discount offered by Prestige included this rebate.
    As for V-8 vs. V-6, it is a personal preference. In the past and presently I had/have both and both have possitive and negative qualities.
    This one will be ashort distance commuter in conjested North Jersey.

MSRP $60,306
    Sale Price after Conquest $54,533 for 2011 E350

I do not think I will pay much more for 2012 E350 and get to choose colors/options I would like to have. Now I need to find a willing MB Dealler.

Thanks fellows
    Without any doubt! The cost of an E550 is many, many thousands of dollars more than an E350 with the same identical equipment and/or options. Remember, except for the engine and the leather interior, the vehicles are IDENTICAL!

If I was in the market for an 8 cylinder vehicle with 385 horsepower, give or take a few horsepower, I certainly would not buy an E550. I would opt for the CLS 550. Why drive a $65000 to $70,000 E350 with an 8 cylinder engine when you can get one with a 6 cylinder engine for $15000 or so less. It's beyond me, to tell you the truth.

2021 Genesis G90

edited February 2003
    If that is the case, then you can do better! Offer him $48K. If he won't take that, go to another dealer while there are still a few left out there.

2021 Genesis G90

"Remember, except for the engine and the leather interior, the vehicles are IDENTICAL!"

Not exactly! Besides the much more superior engine, E550 has different suspension: AIRMATIC. Better wheels and more standard equipment and if you load E350 - you'll be very close to the E550 price. E550 ride is exhilarating and effortless. Performance- wise is day and night. You can see the clear difference when you drive both, especially uphill, downhill and canyons. There is no comparison: E550 is way more superior vehicle. There is no big difference in fuel economy either.

The only reason I got E350 is because the leasing program for E550 is terrible. Huge difference comparing to E350.

"I certainly would not buy an E550. I would opt for the CLS 550. Why drive a $65000 to $70,000 E350 with an 8 cylinder engine when you can get one with a 6 cylinder engine for $15000 or so less. It's beyond me, to tell you the truth."

That's another statement I disagree. CLS550 is a 4-door coupe and it has no space in the rear seat. You can put 2 kids at best. E550 is a Sedan, where you can fit 3 adults in the rear seat plus decent size trunk. As far as performance, read this article: E550 vs. CLS550, E550 wins in almost every category. It actually compared the previous generation CLS before it was redesigned in 2012, but majority of it remains true...
  • enigma2806enigma2806 Member Posts: 8
    Storm basically laid it out for me on this one....

I was comparing the E550 v E350 for a few thousand different, which was the example I posted. I was able to get the 550 with leather, parktronic, comfort seats with massage, sports, AMG wheels, P1 for 54k, which was a similar price to the OP's for a 350.

Also the I test drove both, and for me the 350 did not have enough power off the line, up hills, on ramps, I like the extra power (coming from an XF supercharged). Also I was not going to spend 45-50k and get MB Tex seats, that seemed a bit ridiculous. The airmatic suspension is also great and as Storm said the vehicle sits 4 comfortably.

Finally if I was going to get a CLS550 (which is a sweet ride) it would have to be the 2012 which has no incentives and would cost 20-25k more than I paid for the e550.

When the new e350 comes out, I would have a harder time justifying the 550 due to the new 300+ HP engine, but the current 350 did not compare to the 550 for only a few k more. Again if you can get a 350 for 45-46k then it is a 10k decision and it would be a lot more difficult.
  • wareaglejimwareaglejim Member Posts: 4
    Is ther any way to find our how much the dealer sold my 2008 E 350 for< I have the vin number. Just traded last wednesday and do not know if the vehicle has been sold for not, Thanks for any info
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    Ask your sales guy. If it stayed on the lot he may know. If it went to auction...???
  • drbltorontodrbltoronto Member Posts: 4
    Hey, folks, I just got the VIN from the dealer; car is supposed to be in Toronto (my home) October 27. Bought a Cavanasite Blue (really dark blue) with Alpaca leather interior, advanced driving package, premium, etc. Here's my question. When the business manager tries to sell me leather rip protection, ding and dent protection, tinting, etc., what is worthwhile and what is a reasonable offer that I should make? Many thanks, BL
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    Congratulations on yor new E. What color is the leather? I've never seen an Alpaca. Is it real Alpaca leather, or Alpaca colored cow leather? Thanks.
    In my opinion, none of those last minute extras are worth the cost....other than buying the mercedes maintenance option if you are leasing. The worst of the lot is the protection package...I would pay them not to put it on.
    Congratulations! Mine is currently on the ocean and is expected at the port of Jacksonville on the 30th of this month and expected at the dealership on or about the 15th of October. It's silver/black with leather, Premium 2, ventilated seats, multi-contoured driver's seat, rear spoiler, tire and wheel package, etc. MSRP is about $61600.00.

As for your question about leather rip protection and ding/dent protection (and probably tire and wheel protection), here are my thoughts based upon my experiences as a Sales Manager at a new car dealership for luxury high end vehicles (I'm retired now):

Firstly, the leather rip protection is not worth the cost. If you should rip a section of leather, a leather pro can fix it for a few dollars using resins, etc.

Secondly, the ding/dent protection is fairly good (I'm assuming you are leasing this new vehicle, because otherwise, it makes no sense to get it). If the cost is less than $200.00, it is worth it for a leased vehicle.

Finally, the tire and wheel protection would pay for itself if you should blow out a tire and damange the rim, which would usually happen on a blow out. I believe the cost should be about $495.00 for the term of the lease.

Remember, these "add-ons" are a means for the finance person to make some extra bucks for him/her self.

I hope this has been helpful.

2021 Genesis G90

abacomike:
    Can you share with us what your final price was and what part of Country you live?

I read through your posts and don't see what your final price was.

Thanks!
    I won't know the final price until the vehicle is delivered. Usually, Mercedes Benz has special incentives from November through December for the holidays. MB financial also provides an incentive if you currently have a lease or loan with them. I have a loan on my vehicle now, so they usually give a 1500 dollar incentive to refinance with them. Also, last year, they had a $2000 loyalty incentive. That is what I am hoping for. I usually pay my dealer a bit below invoice for my cars (I buy one every year from them, so that is why I get great pricing). Since I already used my USAA incentive for my wife's car, I won't be eligible for another one until January, and I don't want to wait until January as my currently vehilces value will drop too much to make it worth the $2000 or so I get.

I am hoping to pay about $56,000 for the vehicle, give or take a few hundred, but we will see.

2021 Genesis G90

My current lease with Infiniti doesn't expire until May of next year.
    Do you think the end of year/holiday incentives that MB offers are the best deals they offer all year?
    I'm wondering if I should consider getting out of my lease early to take advantage of the MB offers.
    Thoughts?