Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    The only rationale that comes to mind has to do with diesel engine's difficulty starting in extremely colds temperatures. Here is a hypothetical:

Car gets a flat tire; it's in a very cold climate up north and the car does not have run flats; you call roadside assistance; 3 hours later you try to start the car and it's 15 below zero; glow plug uses up tremendous amounts of battery reserve and fails to start the engine. With run flats, the diesel can go 50+ miles on the flat tire. Remember, I'm pulling at straws to come up with a rationale because in 99% of the cases, the climate would not be that cold, but who knows?

There must be a rational explanation for this. But, if I was forced to get run flats on my sport E350 sedan, I would not be driving a Mercedes. I would drive a Lexus instead - the new GS sedan! I certainly am not going back to BMW (non-sport model) after all the problems I had with my 2-535i's.

If anyone knows the reason for run flats only on the diesel, we would sure like to hear from you!

2021 Genesis G90

• lawcarlawcar Member Posts: 97
    Aside from the harsh ride that Mike mentioned, I heard that the run-flats are harder to find if you have to replace and more expensive than regular tires.
    Yes, Dave, they can cost 50%+ more than summer high performance tires. I looked up the cost of replacement tires for the sport model (same exact tires I got on my car from the factory) and they averaged (depending on where you buy them) over $275 per tire. Michelin high mileage sports were higher, and run flats even more.

When I finally have to replace my tires in about 18 months (that's when I expect to have 15,000 miles on the car, I am going to get those Michelin's where they get 25,000 to 30,000 miles. Just imagine the cost of run flats though, at least $350+ per tire, of you are lucky.

Still would like to know why run flats are standard on diesels, not on gasoline 350's. Called my friend at Mercedes and he did not know.

2021 Genesis G90

The same reason that the Canadian E350's have the electric side view mirror and the U.S. models don't. I see a pattern here with our neighbors to the north.
    I just went on Michelin website to check out the Pilot Super Sports. There is a spot to see if they fit the E350. There is a choice for filling out year (2012) Model (E350) and then the option, which shows only the 18" coupe but not sedan. When I checked the 18" coupe (even though I have sedan), it shows that they don't fit that car.
    They are available through my Mercedes dealer who will give me a 20% discount. Most dealers will meet or beat any deal you get elsewhere. Here in Florida they are available in the sizes found on my car. I'm in no hurry for them, but see if your dealership will do the same. I'd rather get them at the dealership because of the wheel sensors for the tire pressure monitor. Look up the tires by size rather than by make/model/year of your car. They do have the tires listed by size.

2021 Genesis G90

I'll definitely keep it in mind in the future. Is the dealer the only place that has the tires with wheel sensors, or do you mean that you would get them at the dealer because the dealer is familiar with the wheel sensors?
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    the diesels come with run flats because Mercedes US decided that's what they wanted to offer....vs the canadian's (much better) solution of an inflator kit.

The reason for needing anything different is that the bluetec fluid tank is where the spare tire would be on the gas cars.....so the car physically has no room for a spare tire.
    My Mercedes dealer where I buy my cars. A Mercedes dealer is more familiar with the wheel sensors so as not to damage them when replacing tires. If both the tire dealer and the Mercedes dealer will sell you the tires at the same price, where would you buy your tires?

Also if you are a member of the Mercedes Benz Club of America (MBCA.org) you should be able to save 10% on all your parts orders and services. My dealer does for me!

Also, let me know if you found those Michelins by size of tire.

2021 Genesis G90

NOW THAT MAKES SENSE! No spare - then run flats become a necessity.

2021 Genesis G90

No...a solution is required. Porsche's don't have spare tires...they have run flat kits in the US (and rest of world) just as mercedes uses in the rest of the world. They have, however, blessed US drivers with the run-flat solution (with no options). Perhaps they are getting some special deal from the tire suppliers. It certainly isn't a better technology solution.....since they don't use run-flats anywhere else.
    When I retired from educational administration in 2001, and became a salesman, then new car dealership sales manager, the only vehicle I remember that came standard with run flat tires was the Lexus SC430. The reason was because there was no room in the trunk for a spare (not even a compact spare) because when the hard top convertible roof was opened, it completely filled the trunk. This, that was my first experience with run flats. Very hard riding car due to those tires. I believe the car was introduced in 2002.

Like I said before, if my new Mercedes E350 sedan came in only run flats I would not have bought one. That is how much I hate driving on run flat tires!

2021 Genesis G90

• grandmamagrandmama Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

What's a good deal on a leftover 2011 E550 with a MSRP of 72k?
    Yes, the Michelin website has tires by sizes. What is the size of the wheels on the AMG wheel package (other than the 18")?
    Dave, the tires on the 18" AMG wheel package are the same size as on the sport model. All you get are the AMG wheels and the sport steering wheel. I don't have my owners manual here in the house, but if you look in your manual, you will find the tire sizes under SPORT E350.

2021 Genesis G90

edited February 2012
    Thanks. Hopefully I won't need tires for a while. By the way, my mpg inched up to 17 mpg city stop and go.
    I get a little more, but remember, I don't drive in stop-and-go traffic. If I am out shopping and going from store to store with speeds not exceeding 40 mph, I am getting about 23 mpg's. If on a freeway at a speed of 55 mph, I'm getting about 33 mpg's. At 65+ mph, I'm getting about 32 mpg's. Also remember I have 2800 miles on the car. Just turned 4 months old.

As for the tires, I did see them available here in FL and my Benz dealer carries them in stock.

2021 Genesis G90

That'll give me an excuse to go to Florida. Maybe I'll take a road trip with my wife.
    I made that cross-country trip in 1991, from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego, using I-10 most of the way until I hit Arizona, then the I-8 into San Diego. Let me till you something, during the winter months, it is a beautiful drive. For you, I-10 all the way to I-75 (Northern Florida) and the, I-75 all the way here. But, the summer months, which I did in 2000, is brutal, especially through the deserts and southern Texas. Temperatures hit the 110 to 115 degree levels. It takes about 4 to 5 days if you take a leisurely trip. Las Cruces is beautiful and so is San Antonio. I stopped off there for a full day to enjoy the river walk and the Texas Barbeque. New Orleans was also a nice visit, but a little south of I-10. Then, Tampa/St.Petersburg is a nice stay. Then, to Naples which is nice. Then, across allegator alley to Ft. Lauderdale suburbs.

But I do know you are kidding. I also did the trip in the summer across the northern states (I-10 to I-15 to I-80, etc.). Not much there, but Pennsyslvania is a great state to do some leisure vacationing. Did that northern trip in 2 days, driving straight through in two nights. But I was younger then - could never do that again at my age with my bad back! LOL!

2021 Genesis G90

• madipacmadipac Member Posts: 21
    abacomike,

I have read quite a few posts and you seem to have good knowledge on E350's. I am new here and I am ineterested in buying a used E350? Which year to get? Is 2009 e350 a good year? Should I buy only from MB dealer or other dealers? If I am planning to keep till 100,000 miles where can i get the extended warrenty? If the vehicle is still under warrenty will any MB dealer sell and how much does it cost?

Sorry for asking too many questions.

Thanks
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Looking at 2012. Have 2011 now. What differences has there been from 2011 to 2012 besides engine/tranny? Is it worth while to make the change? Any comments appreciated.
    If you can find a nice 2010, with not too many miles on it, 36,000 to 37,000 should do it. The 2009 is also a great car because that was the first year they came out with the hard drive navigation system. You should be able to pick one up for around 32,000 to 33,000!

When you are buying a late model Mercedes, I would buy it from a Mercedes dealer Who has CERTIFIED the vehicle through Mercedes Benz. That means the car is fully warranted for up to 100,000 miles for 6 or 7 years. Only a Mercedes dealership can get the car CERTIFIED.

2021 Genesis G90

edited February 2012
    Aside from the engine (302 hp + vastly improved fuel economy - 20/30 mpgs) the rest of the changes were insignificant. I went from a 2011 to a 2012 because of fuel economy and horsepower and because I was able to purchase the car for $3500 under dealer invoice thanks to my USAA membership and great incentives they offered in October, November and December. Unfortunately, those incentives are no longer available.

Many regulars here on this forum took advantage of those incentives and purchased new E350 sedans. They were offering 1.9% financing or less for up to 66 months which only sweetened the deal.

If I could not get those incentives and interest rates, I would not have gotten the 2012. This, I suggest you keep your 2011 until or unless they come out with outstanding incentives and interest rates.

I will add here that I am saving about 5 gallons per tankful on gas, which over a 12 month time period with gasoline at the highest in years with even more increases in prices coming, is SIGNIFICANT!

2021 Genesis G90

Dave, I called Michelin and they looked up the tires by size. They are available in Y rated tires, but of the tires cannot be rotated (different sized front and rear like ours), they only guarantee the tread life for 15,000 miles, not 30,000. This, why pay a premium price for those Michelins when you can get replacement tires for around $100 per tire less?

2021 Genesis G90

• madipacmadipac Member Posts: 21
    abacomike, thanks for all your help. Appreciate it very much. I found a 2009 E350 with 4 matic and P1 package and leather with 27k miles and single owner for 33k from Cadillac dealer. Is it worth pursuing or no? Can i buy this car and since it is still under warrenty can I get the extended warrenty from MB dealer? Will they sell me one? If you say I am better of buying from dealer a CPO I will pursue that route. Dont want to waste time. Thanks
    33K sounds just about right for the car. I would contact as many Mercedes Benz Dealers in your area and ask if they have any cars like that in stock that are CERTIFIED! Also, if they can meet the price with about the same miles on the car. If they can't, find out how much it would cost to purchase the extended warranty for up to 100K and 6 years or 7 years. My guess is that it would not be more than 1800 or so.

That brings the cost of your car to 35K. I am sure you can find a certified 2009 with low miles (25k -35K) at that price.

I always recommend that you purhcase from a dealership where the car has been certified. There are also some special finance rates available on certified MB cars from dealership through MB Financial.

Good Luck and let me know how you make out!

2021 Genesis G90

You mean that the tires through the dealer are $100 per tire less? Which tires are those?
    What I was discussing was the fact that if I were to purchase 2 front and 2 rear tires from Michelin (Pilot Super Sports), I would be paying about $100 per tire more than if I were to go to Pirelli or Continental and purchase the same tires (by size and rating) as the ones I got with the car.

The frustration is that he better tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) will not be warranted for their usual 30,000 mile tread life because I would not be rotating the tires since they are different sizes, front and rear. So they cut the warranty to 15,000 miles tread wear for the life of the tire. That's about the same mileage I get on my standard tires (Continentals). So why pay $100 more per tire to get Michelins when they don't warrant the tread life for the full 30,000 miles. I wouldn't mind spending the $100 more per tire if I could be guaranteed they would last for 30,000 miles, but they would not!

In summary, I am not going to pay $365 a tire to get Michelins if I can get Continentals for $250 or $260 a tire. The problems of tread wear has to do with the fact that the tires cannot be rotated. If they could, the tread life would be extended significantly. But Michelin is not going to warrant the tread life for 30,000 miles, only 15,000 miles for the reasons mentioned above. They only warrant 30,000 mile tread life if all four tires put on the car are the same exact size!

Hope you understand, Dave.

2021 Genesis G90

Got it. How are the Continental and Pirellis? I recall reading that Continentals are not great.
    I've had Pirelli's on one E350, Michelin's on one E350, and the rest (4) had Continentals. I found the Continentals to be quieter than the Pirelli's and the Michelin's I had on the 2009 were the noisiest of all. I don't think they wear very well, but I got 18,000 miles on the set. Not bad considering you can't rotate these tires.

I prefer a little quieter ride on the highway. I really haven't had any problems with the Continentals. Remember, I had 4 E350's with them and they all performed great. Bridgestone's and Continental's came with my BMW's, 2005-2008. They also performed well on the BMW, it was the car that I hated.

When I am ready for tires, which won't be for about a year, I'll probably price them around town (Pep Boys, Tire Kingdom, etc.) and then go to my Mercedes Dealership who said he would match or beat any price I got anywhere else. I also have a $500 coupon the General Manager gave me which I will use toward the purchase. Looks like I won't hit 10,000 miles before my year anniversary in October. So, I guess that's when I'll have my first A service.

Hope I haven't confused you, Dave.

2021 Genesis G90

No, you made it clear. I thought you had the Super Pilots before, which is why you like them. When I need tires eventually, I'll check with you because your probably severaly months ahead of me. I'll check out our local tire stores as well as the MB dealer which I bought the car.
    Not necessarily! I only have 2800 miles on the car and I've had it for over 4 months. I only drive about 9000 miles a year so my guess is that you will need tires before I need them. I expect to keep this car for at least 3 years which is when Mercedes usually makes a major body change (about once every 7 years). So I expect that the next Mercedes I purchase will be when they make that major change in body and engine.

I understand they are working on a new engine with 300+ horsepower which will attain over 35 mpg's on the highway. Another car that looks pretty sharp is that new Lexus GS. The only problem I have with Lexus is that they are made by Toyota. A women who lives a few buildings away from me lost control of her 2004 Camry yesterday while driving in our condo area. Her car unexpectedly accelerated and she lost control of her car. She crashed into a tree along our major drive. Quite a bit of damage to both her car and this huge ficus tree. She was taken to the hospital and is still hospitalized. This all took place in a posted 25 mph zone. I live in a huge condo community with about 2200 units on a 900 acre parcel with golf course. So I am still a little wary of Toyota products.

We'll compare notes when we get replacement tires, which will be sometime next year!

2021 Genesis G90

edited February 2012
    I put on about 12,000 miles a year, so I'll probably be the guinea pig for new tires. I've had 4 Lexus cars over the years: 2 ES series and 2 GS series. The ES is a very good value and has a lot of standard features at a bit less cost than MB or BMW. However, it is a very cushy ride (I had the ES as my first entry level Lexus on 3 year leases). The GS has a better ride and handling (not as responsive as a BMW, but noticably more than the ES) and also is a good value. I haven't driven the new GS though. I know the residual value on the GS was not as good as BMW or Lexus. When I leased my BMW in 2009, the payments on it were $100/month less than the GS. I didn't care for the MB at the time and so got the BMW. I'm very happy with my 2012 E350 and since I'm buying it, hope to keep it 5 years even if body style and engine changes.
    Used to be a Lexus fan. When I lived in Palm Desert and Chatsworth, I leased a 1976 ES300 and again in 1999 I leased another ES300. In 2001, I leased a GS300 and, I must admit, the GS300 was nice, but a little soft, as you mentioned. That's when I went to BMW with a 530i. Finally went back to Mercedes (had Mercedes in 1986, 87, 91 and 94) in 2008 after that bad experience with 2-2008 535i's - the first one I bought, the second one was replaced by BMW because they couldn't fixt the first one. Then, when I had the same exact problem on the second one they built for me, I asked for, and received my money back and went right to Mercedes. Been with them ever-since.

But I did take note of that new GS that just came out and it is really sharp looking. Something to think about in the future, definitely not now. Quite frankly, I personally feel the Mercedes sport package is just a tad too stiff for me. But, when you're having fun with a car, you tend to overlook some of the imperfections in the ride. I think, from experience, that the Mercedes sport package rides just a harshly as the BMW sport package in the 5 series.

As for those tires, you are correct in assuming you will be getting replacements before I will. Besides, the more stop and go driving you do, the faster these tires will wear out.

Take care!

2021 Genesis G90

edited February 2012
    I had an opportunity to take a neighbor of mine over to a brand new Mercedes Dealership owned by the same company as the one I got my Mercedes at! My neighbor preferred purchasing his new car at the new dealership (only about 2 miles from where we live) because he did not want to drive the extra 15 miles to my dealership. Since he knows I have purchased many Mercedes Benz vehicles, so he wanted me to help him with negotiations.

The dealership is truly beautiful, but unfortunately the people who work inside are not - what I mean is they are assertive, overly aggressive and very unpleasant. When we pulled up in my car (my neighbor had just sold his car privately) we were met outside the front door (he didn't even let us get inside before starting his pitching). He asked why we were coming into his dealership since he noticed I was driving a new 2012 E350, and we told him my friend was interested in a new car. He then had the nerve to ask me why I didn't take him to my dealership (he saw the name of my dealership on my license plate frame) to get his car - "...were you unhappy with your salesperson?" I could not believe his nasty approach, but I held my tongue, as did my neighbor, and walked into the showroom. The salesperson followed us in and immediately started on my friend - "...are you going to buy or lease your new car today or are you just looking?" It took less than 10 seconds for my friend to ask for a different person to speak with. The salesperson went right for his manager and things got even worse! The manager came over and asked what the problem was, and after my neighbor explained his reason, the manager said if he didn't want to work with the salesperson who waited in him, he could take his business someplace else!

I personally have never had an experience like that in all the years I've been buying cars!

I wonder how long it will be before corporate changes the management of that new dealership?

2021 Genesis G90

• kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    I've never run into that attitude at any dealership, much less a Mercedes dealer...but if you don't name the dealer your story isn't much help to anyone.
    edited February 2012
    I've already taken steps regarding the manager! To mention the name of the dealership solves no problems! My direct contact with corporate will! And I'm quite sure that anyone who gets treated that way would do what we did on Thursday - buy a car someplace else!!!

This is the reason I buy my cars where I do! I'm treated like a member of the family, not like a member of a herd of livestock!

2021 Genesis G90

Sounds like every Toyota dealer I've ever visited. If you aren't ready to buy right now, go away.

You really should post the dealer's name or location here. Part of the benefit of these forums is finding the outstanding dealers and knowing the "not so outstanding" ones.
    The Sport Package compared to the Luxury Package? Or another sport suspension package? I understand that 9 out of 10 2012 E350's are the sport package and very few dealers even have the Luxury Package.
    I was talking about the sport package you and I have. It is a little hard riding, just like the BMW 5 Series with sport package. Now the 5 series sport package requires run-flats which are even harsher in terms of ride.

I'm not as young and spry as I used to be, and my back suffers from hard riding cars. I think I have too much air in the tires even though I have them inflated exactly at the pressure recommended by Mercedes. I just think 36 front and 38 rear are a bit much. What I might do is drop it two pounds which might help. Also, the tires have nitro fill which tend to ride a little stiffer than air.

I tried the luxury model, but I hated the wheels and the style of the front grille and sides of the car. Luckily I don't drive in heavy traffic.

2021 Genesis G90

edited February 2012
    I didn't mind the styling of the luxury model, but the ride was too cushy and non-responsive for me (although others have their own legitimate opinions). I didn't like the idea of required run-flat tires on the BMW either.
    Remember, you went from a BMW 5 series to the Mercedes E350 Luxury. I would imagine the ride would be too soft and unresponsive for you. I found the same thing when I went from the 535i to the E350. Luxury ride was not only cushy, but cornering and handling were lacking in my opinion. That is why I bought the sport model.

I went up to my dealership this morning and he said my tires were overinflated by 4 pounds. Fronts had 38 and rears had 40. So he made them 32 and 34 COLD INFLATION so when I got on the road, the pressures were 25 and 37. Much easier on my back. He also took all the nitrogen out fo the tires and redid them 4 times. He said by reinflating them that many times with nitrogen, you reduce the amount of non-nitrogen gases in the tires. So, not only was there about 20% air in the tires, but that's why I was unhappy with the ride.

Now, it's like a different car. He also told me that with these low profile tires, if they get overinflated, they ride like rocks and have the potential for being more easily damaged. So, that's the story.

And as for run-flats, they are even worse. But, they do serve a purpose - no spare!

2021 Genesis G90

edited February 2012
    He said by reinflating them that many times with nitrogen, you reduce the amount of non-nitrogen gases in the tires. So, not only was there about 20% air in the tires, but that's why I was unhappy with the ride.

Nitrogen in tires has nothing at all to do with the ride. The air we breathe is 78% Nitrogen....so if your tire was just inflated with air, it would have about 20% non nitrogen gasses so I just love the 20% air statement. If your tires were inflated with 80% pure nitrogen and 20% air, then the total nitrogen in your tire would be 96%. Your dealer apparently is selling what he heard and misunderstood.

It sounds like your dealer was trying to justify why you paid for Nitrogen in the first place.

The only place nitrogen helps is that it expands/contracts slightly less than "air" so your pressure doesn't change quite as much when the tire heats up or the outside temperature changes. It's an extremely "high profit" item for dealers so they push it hard on buyers by extolling it's non existent virtues.
    I did not pay anything extra for nitro-fill. All his new and used cars have nitro-fill. When you pull into his service island to drop off your car, if you need air, all they have is nitro-fill.

As far as your comments, I am no expert in this, so I cannot take exception with any of your comments. All I do know is that nitro-fill adds nitrogen, not air (the hydrogen-oxygen-type). I know that the less oxygen in tires, less oxidation occurs with the rubber (synthetic of course). That's all I know about nitro-fill! And, my car is no longer riding as hard as it did.

Thanks for the info!

2021 Genesis G90

The better ride is due to the lower tire pressure. The Nitro-fill is a marketing gimmic. It doesn't hurt, but it's also not worth very much. As I said, almost 80% of the air we breathe is Nitrogen anyway......
  • bimloverbimlover Member Posts: 8
    I HAVE FOUND THE PRE-OWNED MBZ I WANT TO BUY AT KEYES EUROPEAN IN VAN NUYS,CA.THE TROUBLE IS KEYES DOES NOT HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION. SO WHAT I WANT TO DO IS GO TO THE HOUSE OF IMPORTS IN BUENA PARK,CA AND HAVE THE CAR TRANSFERRED TO HOUSE OF IMPORTS AND BUY THE CAR FROM THEM. HOUSE OF IMPORTS HAS A BETTER REPUTATION.MY FRIEND GOT 15% OFF MSRP ON THE LAST DAY OF THE MONTH. IT WAS POURING RAIN THAT DAY ( APRIL 30 ). WHAT DO YOU THINK? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
  • jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    Dealers don't "transfer" used cars to other dealers, assuming these two aren't owned by the same company. They may sell it to another dealer if they can cover the acquisiton cost, inspection, service labor, parts, lot, and detail cost, and then mark it up some, but the second dealer will mark it up as well. And if this is a certified car, the second dealer would have to start that process from scratch.

Your best bet is to just wait until your preferred dealer gets in something you like.
    You hit the nail right on the head! If he likes the car, he can buy it there and have everything else done by the preferred dealership.

New cars are dealer-traded all the time but used cars are not - not even certified used cars. You can't have your cake and eat it too in this case!

2021 Genesis G90

Buy it at Keyes and take it where you want for service.
    Thanks for mentioning the dealers.
    Does Mercedes have any current loyalty or conquest discounts for the E350? If so, how much? Thanks.