Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• ekoeko Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    Does anybody know a manufacturer of the "true" rear wind deflector for the HL - like those smoke acrylic ones for other cars? Just don't like spoiler's look & cost.
    Thanks
  • ekoeko Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    The older T1801 radio from Scion works fine in my HL'01 (non JBL). But new iPod-compatible T1806 radio from Scion'06 does not - all controls works as supposed, but no sound. It seems there's no internal amp output - just a silence.
    Is it normal or sound like a bad unit?
    Do I need special wiring harness adapter?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
  • garywigarywi Member Posts: 54
    Have you place window tint over your rear in the window radio antenna? Can you do this?
  • mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    First of all, thanks to various posters here, Landriver in particular, for a ton of information. I replaced just the headunit in my '03 JBL equipped Highlander and the difference is astounding. I was prepared to replace the speakers as well, but the stereo shop said let's do just the headunit first and see what happens. Could not be happier.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Window film will not bother embedded antenna's or the heating elements, if you have them. :)
    Window Film. The owners manual says don't put anything on the windows. I am in AZ, so really need to add some tint.

Also, another issue on my list of disapointments, erradic idle. In stop and go traffic, the RPM does a little spike from 800 to 1000 intermitantly. If I don't compensate with brake, it pushes me forward.

I am so pissed at this 07, I hope it gets totaled in an insurance settlement. I can't live with this for the next 10 years.
    Most likely the "spikes" are due to climate control.

The dealerships sell film to tint windows with, installs it, if you check. ;) 3M warranties their product, and I have never heard of "problems" due only to window tinting film. I have heard of problems with a liquid, spray-on product, however.

I live partially in the Palm Springs area, and in Reno. Both areas need something to reflect heat, in addition to the so-called "privacy tint" cars come with. In Nevada its legal to use the darkest tinted film on the front side windows as well. I didn't use it, but a lighter film for those, and the darkest on the rear and rear sides, as well as the moonroof. ;)
    Thanks. Regarding Spikes. This is happening when the AC is off.
    Ahhh...well, I would take it in, have the dealer hook her up.... ;)
  • ddasher8ddasher8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm considering upgrading my current rear view mirror to one with auto dimming feature. Has anyone done that? How difficult is it to DIY? Thanks much in advance...
  • jgoustonjgouston Member Posts: 3
    I don't see enough hooks in the 2007 Highlander Limited that I just brought. There are two hooks at the bottom of the cargo which allow to fasten the bottom of the net. But I have nowhere to find any place to hook the top part of the net.

I am using the net I brought for my old Lexus RX300 which was just totaled.
  • bwhite1225bwhite1225 Member Posts: 1
    I've been searching all over the internet for a few simple custom mod's for my 2002 2wd-V6-Limited Highlander. Does anyone know where I can find projector headlight kits, euro or LED tailights, and a grill insert besides chrome. I would greatly appreciate some assistance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may be able to pick up some leads in Toyota Camry Headlights/HIDs/Fog Lights.

tidester, host
  • johny11johny11 Member Posts: 2
    My 05 Highlander Ltd with 6 JBL Speakers seems to ocassionally generate an intermittent tweaking noise when the radio is on (similar to interference on a speaker phone when one places a blackberry/cellphone near the unit)under no specific conditions/varied base&treble and different stations and appears to be focused on the rear right speaker. I have taken the car 3 times to the car dealership since the noise appears to come from the rear right speaker and they have not been able to replicate the issue. The dealer has said that they will not replace the rear right speaker since they were unable to replicate the problem. I do not have any electonics/phones mounted around the radio or the speakers. I am wondering if anyone has a solution since I suggested there may be faulty wiring or insufficient insulation but the technician assured me neither is the case. Would appreciate some help. Thanks
  • rich54rich54 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 05 Highlander Ltd with the JBL system, except I would describe the occasional sound as a ticking sound from the right rear speaker. It comes and goes and never happens when the dealer drives it. There is no way to predict when it will occur. It is annoying! I have always guessed it might be some type of interference with the right rear abs speed sensing ring. Sorry I cannot help you but the fact that your car is not alone may help reduce the possibilities.
  • lravvelravve Member Posts: 1
    The cargo net attaches to the hooks on the floor and the loops at the top of the cargo net go around the plastic hooks on the small plastic frame on the sides of the door. That is the best way I can describe it. I have a 2002. Hopefully yours looks the same.
  • dbh126dbh126 Member Posts: 7
    If you go to "www.Toyotaparts4u.com" they have a section on Installation and they do have the procedures for the Highlander. I installed mine in a 2007 Highlander, with Temp and Compass a couple weeks ago and it works fine. It doesn't matter what mirror you have, they wire the same same way. All you need to do is connect power to a wire that is switched i.e., power is there only when the key is turned on (instructions use turnsignal connection). I put this same mirror in my 2004 Tundra but took it out when I sold the the truck.
  • prnd350prnd350 Member Posts: 10
    Can I special order a 4 cylinder hybrid with a navigation system installed? Or do I absolutely have to go with the limited?
  • bigred12bigred12 Member Posts: 12
    What do I need to know about buying aftermarket seat covers for the 2007 Highlander, to be sure they don't interfere with the side airbags?
  • gowhittengowhitten Member Posts: 11
    Try some Focal speakers. The JBLs are junk.
  • drhagenmayerdrhagenmayer Member Posts: 11
    How do I reset the "Maint Req'd" light on my 2005 Highlander? This is supposed to indicate when I'm due for an oil change. Can I set the mileage interval that this light will come on?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    This is documented in the owners manual
    I've gone thru the manual several times and haven't been able to find it.
  • billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    Hi,

On my 2005 it is on page 142 of the Owners Manual, paragraph (O).
    Thank you very much. I must be blind!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "This is documented in the owners manual"

And in another year or two, someone will buy a used one without an owner's manual and come searching for the answer and all they'll find is "read the manual."

How about a quick and dirty explanation for our future members?
    To reset, hold the odometer button down while turning off the ignition switch and turning ignition switch to on.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thank you! - now can we please pass a law that requires the manufacturers to post their owners manuals online? :shades:
  • billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    I agree, online manuals would be nice. And drhagenmayer posted the quick and dirty, which is all you really need to know. In the manual it is a very long paragraph.

And drh, don't feel bad, I had a bit if trouble locating it the first time myself.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    For $10, you can download any Lexus and Toyota Owner's Manual PLUS anything in the Maintenance manual you'd like - for a 24-hour period. Longer periods are available for more $$.

I did exactly this at https://techinfo.toyota.com

I used the info to find out exactly where to pry on the instrument panel on my new 2007 Highlander. Then I installed a new Sony Sony CDX-GT610Ui Head Unit with USB input, AUX input, and iPod interface.

Not really writing to brag, but it is a major improvement.

The site will also allow you to download any Tech Bulletins for any Toyota or Lexus vehicle.

Just FYI, y'all.
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    Have not tried that, but once you download something, it is yours. How in the world can they enforce a 24 hour time frame? :confuse:
  • ft20ft20 Member Posts: 15
    Hi all. I have a 05 highlander with non-JBL stereo head unit. considering replacing it with an aftermarket unit for better conncetivity/interface. I've been looking at the Kenwood DPX line (302 & 502). Main concern is how these units will fit in the dash. Has anyone installed these 2-din units? Also, being a novice, how hard is it to do this?
  • bigred12bigred12 Member Posts: 12
    I just purchased a 2007 Highlander in which I had the dealer replace the head unit primarily so I could play MP3 CDs. I'm not sure the same mount was used in the 2005 model, but the replaced unit was model no. 86120-52241. The only double-din unit Toyota would recommend and cover under their warranty is the Pioneer FHP4200MP. It fits fine in the dash, but I think it's slightly narrower than the factory unit because narrow side trim pieces were added.
  • ann39ann39 Member Posts: 4
    I have running boards with lights on my 2001 Highlander. The paint on my left running board started coming off a couple of years ago and I had it repaired. It is now coming off again and looks like something is scraping it where it is coming off. I suspect it is something in the left side of the car wash that I go to. Question is...will the car look okay down at the bottom where they are attached if I have both of them removed from the car? Thanks.
    I'd like to trade-in my 04 base model TH for an 07 (before the larger model comes out next year), and of course I'd like to have a navigation system but only want the base model.

Are there any dealers who install this into the base models? I live in the NY area.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Save your money on the Nav unit, buy yourself a Garmin Nuvi and with the significant $$ savings have a couple nite out's on the town, or buy yourself another technology gizzi.
  • my001my001 Member Posts: 17
    I have AVIC-D2 installed on my base HL (replace theoriginal radio combo):
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6634_Pioneer+AVIC-D2.html

You could buy AVIC-D3 now. These in-dash-vani are great.
  • silverltdsilverltd Member Posts: 18
    I just picked up my 2007 Highlander Limited and I have the same problem as jgouston (post #1287). I have the cargo net from my 2001 Highlander, but the 2007 doesn't have the same plastic hooks on the sides of the cargo area that were in the 2001.

The cargo net is listed as an available accessory for the 2007, so I assume that it's attachable, I just don't see how to do it. I see the plastic "hooks" to keep the tourneau cover open, but I don't see anything that I can use to attach the cargo net. Hopefully, I'm just missing something really obvious.

Thank you!
  • lmn908lmn908 Member Posts: 34
    Usually the hooks for a cargo net are included with the net and need to be installed (may involve some drilling). If you are trying to use a cargo net from a previous vehicle, then the hooks won't be there (unless the car came with a cargo net). I don't know whether you can purchase the hooks separately from the net.

Larry
    Sorry for the confusion. When you pay your $10 by credit card, you create an account with a login ID and password. They expire when your subscription expires.
    I also just got an '07, and traded in an '02. It's a little different scenario for me. My '07 came with a new cargo net, and had the two upper snap-in hooks already installed in the trim panel.

So now I have two cargo nets. I'm hoping to find a someone who can use the old one - i think it fits all 2001-2005's. I'll tell you this, though - the nets themselves are the same. All you'd need to get is the snap in hooks, and gall to drill the two small holes in your new HL. If you're lucky, the Dealer will sell you just the hooks, and let you peek at the kit's instructions that tell you how big the holes should be, and exactly where they go.
  • silverltdsilverltd Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the information about the cargo net. I'm disappointed, but at least I know that I didn't miss something obvious. I'm not sure that I have the nerve to drill holes in my brand new Highlander, maybe I'll talk to the service department when I bring it in for its first oil change.

Thanks again!
    How much to install the AVIC unit?

I could do the Garmin, however I can't leave it out in the car when parked hence my desire for an in-dash unit, even with the much higher price.
  • my001my001 Member Posts: 17
    The unit costs about $800 (Internet) and have it and a real-view camera installed together by Car Toy for a total installation fee of $600. I guess the In-dash-Navi itself is about $300 - 350.

Eclipse (cheaper installation)
    http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/index.html
  • highlander48highlander48 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

The one and only thing I would like to change about my Highlander is the Stereo system (I got the cheap standard system). Does anyone have any recommendations about good head units that would fit as well as new speakers?

Thanks in advance
    I just put in a Sony CDX-GT610Ui. It has a great tuner, lots of power, an iPod cable, a jack for other MP3's AND a USB port. It'll play MP3's and WMA's off a USB drive!

I put it in myself, and am using the factory speakers. Pretty happy about what I got for the $170.
  • joconnorjoconnor Member Posts: 26
    brisintrepid

please, how does the FrontRunner install? I cannot get an answer from Waag. Did you have to unbolt the radiator from the bottom?
    Thank you!
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    I did a search and read about 50 messages but didn't find a definitive answer to my question.

Will a tow hitch that fits on an '03 HL non 3rd row fit on an '07 HL w/3rd row seat?

I'm assuming not because of the underside spare tire mount.

Can someone confirm this or not?
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    Will a tow hitch that fits on an '03 HL non 3rd row fit on an '07 HL w/3rd row seat? I'm assuming not because of the underside spare tire mount.

You're correct in your assumption. I installed a tow hitch on my '02 and one on my '06. They're completely different. Both of them were Toyota brand hitches. I don't recall which Toyota dealerships sold them to me over the internet. My local dealer couldn't/wouldn't come close to the price. I checked out non-Toyota brands, but liked the additional support/mounting these hitches have.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that was the case. I know the dealer prices are way out of line, I bought my old one online also.

Dam 3rd row seat. Worst feature ever forced on the buyer. I know I will never use it. I was shocked to find out Toyota even provides a heat duct and controls to it. Sorry for the rant.