Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• goldstongoldston Member Posts: 110
    Once again Ron you're a great source of information, I'll follow up with your web link.

And thanks for your kind words about my problem with the Home Link opener.

Best Regards,
    Philip
  • eraperap Member Posts: 8
    I have a V6 2WD HL with th e FF: options: CP, QOP, PP. I would just like to ask if it's still possible to install an aftermarket alarm? Will it invalidate my warranty?
    thanks
  • tdattdat Member Posts: 27
    I bought a Sunroof Wind Deflector for my HL from Toyota Guys. Excellent company to do business with. I'm very happy with the wind deflector as well.
  • alsopalsop Member Posts: 38
    tdat - Thank you for the info on the sunroof wind deflector from Toyota Guys. I have been wondering how it attaches... have heard no holes to drill, so if that is correct, how does it attach to the roof? Simple adhesive or what? Was it easy to install? Thank you in advance for any information on installation and related issues! /Ron
    Installation was quite easy. the deflector has two holes, thru which two screws are inserted and into two matal brackets that hook on the roof where the sun roof opening is.
  • jreajrea Member Posts: 26
    I'm curious about the need for a sunroof wind deflector. The little deflector that pops up automatically when I open my sunroof keeps any air from entering the passenger area. Is there a particular reason some of you are purchasing an additional deflector?
    OK, I admit it, I bought it for a purely cosmetic reason. I really did.
  • jreajrea Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the honesty. Hey, nothing wrong with cosmetics. It does all of us a bit of good from time-to-time!
  • egreen2egreen2 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a V6 AWD LL package with the EJ prem JBL audio system. This comes with 8 speakers but I've found only six speaker screens: one regular sized at the bottom of each door and one small at the top of the front doors for a total of 6. Where are the other 2 hiding?
    I just bought a V6 AWD HL with the EJ optional prem JBL audio system. This comes with 8 speakers but I've found only six speaker screens: one regular sized at the bottom of each door and one small at the top of the front doors for a total of 6. Where are the other 2 hiding?
  • gwkisergwkiser Member Posts: 326
    Egreen2, the other two speakers are in the lower front door also. The area actually houses TWO speakers: the bass and mid-range together. BTW, congratulations on your new purchase. If your experience is anything like mine, the more you drive it, the more you'll like it....
    Anyone tried installing an after market alarm?
    Any idea if it will cause havoc on the factory alarm?
    A few weeks back a Ford Expedition wiped out the tail light and rear fender of my 90 Corolla. The brute was just crawling out of its parking-lot slot and drove off without a scratch. My new HL will at least be driving at a similar altitude to these big SUVs. Nevertheless, the Corolla experience makes me think defensively about the HL.

Has anyone tried Brush Guards? How did they fit? Look? How much for parts and labor? Also, has anyone tried the electronic light-sensitive-compass mirror? I had one on a rental Grand Cherokee a few years back and found it very helpful in navigating through unfamiliar areas. Toyotaguys.com offers two types and advertises easy installation.

Thanks to gwkiser for info on hidden speakers.
    Sorry but I can't help you with the brush guards, but I've seen http://www.donnellye.com/products.htm also recommended by others here for the electrochromatic mirror (which is available with both the outside temp AND the compass or just the compass). Decided not to get this for our HL (at least not yet). BTW, I think others were using the Avalon as the model for reference to the HL application. You might want to email them to make sure.
  • brad_22brad_22 Member Posts: 154
    I'm been shopping for brush guards as well, although its a slow process since the HL is so new. Manik has already developed them (supposedly...I haven't seen a pic). However, I'm waiting until Jaos comes out with one. They're working on it now, as is WAAG.
  • squeakersadiesqueakersadie Member Posts: 10
    I have a rear cargo mat on order from

http://store.yahoo.com/floormats4less/info.html

I'll let you know how it works/looks. Only problem is that I have the ivory interior, and the mats only come in black, tan, and gray. I'm trying the gray one.

• spali1spali1 Member Posts: 11
    Here is a link I stole from a post on the Yahoo Highlander club. This lists some accessories available for the Kluger-V (Japanese Highlander).
    Looks like they have an option of a GPS navigation system.
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/dop-avn/
  • gtalaveragtalavera Member Posts: 15
    Received my hood protector today, I was going to install them but I notice that the ends on both side felt flimsy and it appears the hood protector is only kept in place by 2 screws in the middle. despite having 4 holes(2 in the middle & 2 at the far end) however, the the higlander does not have holes on the hood for the far end. Does any one knows why the protector has these 2 extra holes though the instruction mentions nothing and why the HL does not have corresponding holes. It seems
    without securing these extra holes the protector would flap against the hood of the car during high speed.
    First, is the hood protector you are going to install a Toyota protector or is it from another source? If it is a Toyota part, then there should be 4 mounting points for the protector. In order to mount the protector, the rubber strip that runs on the underside of the front of the hood has to be removed, which then exposes any additional mounting points you might need. Two of the mounting points will use brackets supplied with the protector, 1 on each end about 6 - 8 inches from the outside edge. The other two mounting points are the actual flares shaped into the protector near the center. All holes are already there for you to mount the protector. NO DRILLING REQ'D.

If the protector you are going to mount IS NOT Toyota, I recommend that you return it. When on sale, the factory part can be had for about $70 and is well worth it.

If you are still having problems and would like to see the factory protector mounted on our HL, please email me (see my profile) and I'll tell you where the photos are posted. (They won't let me reference you to a competing site directly).
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    read you post regarding seat covers? are you still satisfied with their fit and look? also, did they come with any warranty or wear info? finlly, what did you pay for them?

thanks for your information.

has anyone else been able to find front and rear seat covers which look nice and seem to wear well. thanks.
  • 1122334411223344 Member Posts: 13
    Wanted to thank everyone from the recommendation of the Hidden Hitch 70777 from Bage Co. I ordered it online for $132.00 (shipping included) and installed it myself on the Highlander last night. I stopped by the Toyota dealership where I bought the truck and they tightened the bolts to the proper torque setting for free! Now I am awaiting my Thule bike rack which is on order!
  • xcarnutxcarnut Member Posts: 81
    Do you have the web address from the Bage co. here you got the hiddne hitch ?
    The Bageco web address is:

http://www.bageco.com/hitchlistround.htm#TOYOTA TRUCKS AND CARS

• mcalpinefxmcalpinefx Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had the towing packages added to their Highlander? If so, what do you think? Good idea or not? Also, can you have the dealer install just the hitch so that one can stick a bike rack in it?
    As I mentioned in my earlier post, I was able to do a self-install of hidden hitch 70777 on my Highlander this past week and then received and used my Thule 994 Expressway Hitch Carrier. It worked great!
  • llofgrenllofgren Member Posts: 129
    How hidden is the Hidden Hitch on the HL?? Are there any pics of it installed? Thanks!
    llofgren - I have been very happy with the Hidden Hitch on the Highlander. Another Highlander owner has posted pictures of the hidden hitch on the Yahoo Toyota Highlander owner's club: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/toyotahighlanderclub. I feel that the hidden hitch is nicely tucked away under the rear bumper. I have used my bike rack with it and it works great!
  • llofgrenllofgren Member Posts: 129
    Lots of good pics of the vehicle too.....I am doing a HL factory order. I read the horror stories on the Yahoo site. I hope mine works out.
  • jlhunterjrjlhunterjr Member Posts: 3
    Bought my Highlander last month and absolutely love it. I do need more room for trips and would like to find a good luggage carrier that would fit my luggage rack. Has anyone found one they are particularly happy with? Advance auto parts has soft baggage that can be used. I noticed in the Highlander sale brochure there was a hard cover model they displayed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

J.L.
  • maulanamaulana Member Posts: 55
    hi folks...

Has anyone found any good all weather mats for the Highlander? I would like to get some eventually before the winter gets here.

I saw some at a local Target store, which were clear color. Not bad. Just wanted to see if anyone else has any recommendations.

thanks.
  • marcasoomarcasoo Member Posts: 14
    To save everyone the trouble of trying to read and navagate a japanese website

Here are some web pages of HL/Kluger V you may need to copy and paste to see them.

P.S. Let me know if you have trouble going to these web pages. I hope they work.

Enjoy.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/KlugerV/grade_val/index1.html

Above is interior pictures

Prices and photos Prices range form $18,665.10 usd to $25,318.98 usd

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/KlugerV/grade_val/index.html

Results when in a crash test.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/KlugerV/safety/index.html

Promo video.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/KlugerV/tv_cf/tvcf.html

• marcasoomarcasoo Member Posts: 14
    To save everyone the trouble of trying to read and navagate a japanese website

Here are some web pages of HL/Kluger V you may need to copy and paste to see them.

P.S. Let me know if you have trouble going to these web pages. I hope they work.

Enjoy.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/KlugerV/grade_val/index1.html

Above is interior pictures

Prices and photos Prices range form $18,665.10 usd to $25,318.98 usd

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/KlugerV/grade_val/index.html

Results when in a crash test.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/KlugerV/safety/index.html

Promo video.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/KlugerV/tv_cf/tvcf.html

• macmacmacmac Member Posts: 35
    Well... it has happen to me. Last night I was rear ended by another car and they fled the scene. They hit me in right rear corner. The corner of the bumper is pushed in 3 to 4 inches. Does anybody know if that is a hollow area? I'm hopping that there was no more damage behind the bumper. Also does anybody have a part number for the bumper and how much it might cost.
    Thanks
    To mac mac you might want to go to this site

http://www.highwaysafety.org/news_releases/2001/pr073101.htm

Hope it'll be helpful.

• dan1555dan1555 Member Posts: 9
    I recently purchased a moonroof wind deflector for my HL from www.toyotaguys.com. I found that it really helped a lot to stop all that annoying wind noise that you get with the moonroof open at speeds of about 40 mph and higher. The installation was really easy, and i think it looks good too. I would recommend getting one to anyone who gets annoyed by all the wind noise you get when the roof is open.
  • schellhighschellhigh Member Posts: 2
    I read earlier memos concerning fog lights. Can anyone tell me again what aftermarket company to purchase them from and also is the non-limited version of the Highlander prewired for them? Also, can we get Toyota actual fog lamp light switch standard on the limited models to replace the standard light switch arm on the non-limited model? From Toyota dealers?
  • achabotachabot Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone ordered a new replacement rear bumper for their Highlander? If so, from where? Does it come painted? How much did it cost? Can a fairly handy person install it themselves?

Also, has anyone found a good factory-quality center console and installed it?
    Schellhigh,
    Have you had any info regarding fog light? I live in Texas, I asked one of the dealers here,they said they can sell me the original fog lights, for I think 200+ each (not included are the wirings and install.

If you have any extra info about the wiring, I also have a V6 unlimited, kindly post it.
  • schellhighschellhigh Member Posts: 2
    Erap,

i have not heard many responces yet but can't get rid of the idea that the Toyota plant that assembles the Highlanders installs the fog light wiring at the plant as standard. It would probably cost them more to slow the assembly line down to dictate which vehicles get fog light wiring and which don't. I suppose I can take the grille cover off mine and see but thought someone would already know. $200 sounds pretty steep for 2 lamps though. I still would like to hear from someone concerning the fog lamp switch which replaces the left side arm for the standard light low and high beam switch.
    Does anyone know where I can get the clear 3M tapes. I read earlier postings that some people use it to protect certain areas expose to possible chips from road debris.
    I am going to pick up a German Shepherd mix puppy from the pound today and am interested in buying a pet divider (metal bars that separate cargo area from rear seat) to put in my Highlander eventually to transport the dog. Has anyone purchase and installed one of these? If so what do you recommend?
  • dominor5dominor5 Member Posts: 58
    Has anyone installed this alarm system? It's available from toyotaguys.com, and I'm wondering how easy it will be to install using the existing pre-wiring that usually comes with most Highlanders. This will be a convenient choice since it is designed to work with the factory keyless entry system. I also want to know of anyone's experience in installing the optional glass breakage sensor. Thanks guys.
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Dominor5,

I wouldn't suggest installing this alarm yourself for several reasons. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't recommend this alarm period. HL instructions at the time were/are non existent. The alarm doesn't even have a motion sensor, and its programmable features are a mystery. There is a useless FaxBack number you can call for instructions (310-327-9905), but the instructions are mostly for the RAV4, 4Runner, and other Toyota vehicles, not the HL. Fujitsu Ten, the manufacture of the alarm has a technical assistance number that might help with your questions: 800-237-5413. Let me know how you make out, as I really have not had the time to mess with it much.

http://members.tripod.com/ri_rav4/alarms.htm

http://rav4world.com/brochure/alarms/rs3200plus/rs3200plus.html

• brad_22brad_22 Member Posts: 154
    I noticed WAAG has grill guards and tail light guards for the highlander now. Has anyone seen what they look like?

brad
  • sirfilesirfile Member Posts: 42
    To Message #92 gtalavera

You can purchase rolls of 3M tape from JC Whitney and some automotive paint suppliers. If you wish to purchase a kit for your Highlander, which includes film for the hood, fender corners, and rear view mirrors, contact www.clearmask.com. It takes a lot of patience and skill to properly install the kit, so you may want to have it done professionally. Good luck!
  • sirfilesirfile Member Posts: 42
    To Message #92 gtalavera

If you have difficulty locating an installer for clearmask [3M], take a look at www.xpel.com also.

Good luck!
    thank you SIRFILE