Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    As for the cost for the tow hitch, call around to a couple other local dealers to get some competitive pricing. The hitch itself should cost somewhere between $350-$450 plus installation.

As for the towing question... Keep in mind that mechanic probably knows much less about hybrid technology than you do if he's making those statements. The truck is designed to be able to tow 3,500 lbs. 1,100 probably won't even feel like you have anything behind it.

Good luck.

Ken
  • eyeeye Member Posts: 1
    How can I remove the 3rd seat on my '04 HL Limited? I never need it, but could use the extra storage space.
  • trdhighlander7trdhighlander7 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone looked at the TRD supercharger for the 3.0 liter v6 engine (1mzfe, same engine as rx300). I know TRD staff says it can't be installed in the highlander nor the rx300, but this is the same engine used in Solara & camary. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to modified the supercharger to make it fit. it would be nice to have to 270Hp, and 260lbs of torque...

Also, has anyone installed the TRD sports exhaust for the 3.0L V6 highlander? I'm planning on getting it, just want to find out if there is any difference in the performance at all after the installation.
  • warlwarl Member Posts: 5
    mvd1;
    Just bought a 2005 HL Limited. Asked the same question to the salesman, he had no idea how have the doors lock automatically. I called Toyota coustemer service and was told that page 146 of the owners manual has the instructions on how to do it. Have gotten my car yet so I couldn't try it. Let me know if it works for you.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I have a 2005 Limited, and, altho I prefer for the the door locks to lock ONLY when I want them to, I don't believe this feature is available on the 2005 Highlander. Page 146 in the manual, which I have in front of me right now, is "Ignition switch with steering lock" NO reference to door locks.

Door lock operation is mentioned on page 25,26.

for what its worth, i had the power locks on mine changed so one push of the remote will unlock all doors. This is an option in the "body computer" and accessible by the dealer. Maybe they can activate the auto locks from there? But I doubt they will even know this, as I had to tell my dealer they could even make the change I wanted.

hope this helps some
  • trdhighlander7trdhighlander7 Member Posts: 2
    In case you still hadn't found a hood protector, I bought one from the store. Ventshade sells hood protector, bug defector, and window shades for the HL. The install was very easy, they provided everything you need. And the unit line up with all the holes with my HL too.
  • jsulmeyerjsulmeyer Member Posts: 10
    George - are you still out there? I just bought my 2001 HL and wanted to see if I could find a Toyota center console like the one you bought. Toyotaguys.com appears to be no more, so I was wondering if a) you knew where I could get one and b) you could send me (or post) some pictures of the console.

If there's anyone else out there that bought the add-on 2001 center console and knows where I can find one and could possibly send me some pictures of it, I'd really appreciate it :-) I checked with my local dealership and called Toyota directly and there's no info available on the 2001 console.

Much thanks,

John
    The black plastic panel that surrounds the stereo and air conditioner controls is beginning to blister and am thinking of replacing it. I actually like the newer style console and was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to replace the 2001 version with a later version (2003-2005). I know that the knobs are different and the placement of some of the push buttons are different, but if I'm going to go to the expense of replacing the panel, I might as well update it to a cooler style if it's possible...

Much thanks in advance for your thoughts,

John
  • dominor5dominor5 Member Posts: 58
    John, check brandsport.com--it appears they took over the former toyotaguys.com web site because they also accept the same discount codes last time I purchased. Try using RW4 at checkout.
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    The '01 optional Toyota center console is a stand-alone unit that looks pretty nice IMO. Its completely different than the center console integrated with the instrument cluster introduced with the '02 HL.

A Google search indicates that www.toyotaworld.com sells the '01 center console. There's a picture of it, though not a very good one. According to this site, the part numbers are:

PT413-69010-04 -- Ivory
    PT413-69010-14 -- Charcoal

I would think you should be able to order it from any Toyota dealer with these part numbers; try another dealer if unsuccessful.

In the past, occasionally the '01 center console would show up on eBay, so you may try monitoring that site for a month or two.

Hope this helps!
    Its possible to retrofit an '02 console into an '01 HL as I did this a couple of years ago. Its a bit involved. Would I do it again? Yes, if it was that important to me to have an '02 console, which it was. (But infinitely better to buy an '02 HL or later instead). See posts 268, 314, 343 and 320 for info on doing this and let me know if you have any more questions!

The plastic trim panel around the stereo and air conditioner does not need to be replaced when you install an '02 console, so you don't have to worry about the placement of those controls within the panel.
    Thanks very much for the info. I've been monitoring the posts regarding the retrofit, but I'm not sure I can afford to do it. Perhaps if the car was only a year old, but now that it's going on five years, I'm not sure how practical it would be to spend $1,400 or more to upgrade the console. It's tempting though... :-)

As for the plastic trim around the stereo and air conditioner, I realize it doesn't have to be replaced to accommodate the '02 console; I was thinking of replacing it because it's showing a bit of wear and tear, blistering, etc. I called one dealership and they quoted me around $270 for the part; my dealer said that the panel is not available by itself and that I would need to replace the entire assembly - $599 plus labor. I'm not sure which is true. I also would be curious to know if one of these internet parts places can get me the authentic panel (or assembly if necessary) for less than the dealer is charging. Most of the parts they list for the interior seem to be accessories, rather than replacement parts. I'd greatly appreciate any info or advice on this!

Much thanks,

John
    I'll dig-up my service manuals to see if there's a part number for this -- stay tuned for the next couple of days...
    Great, Thanks! I'm supposed to meet with the service manager today to discuss what parts I need him to order, so I'll try to hold off until I hear from you :-)

FYI - the main reason for getting the work done now is this: I just bought the '01 Highlander about 3 weeks ago from my x-wife, who was the original owner. It's only got 41,000 miles and is in pretty good shape, aesthetically, and excellent shape mechanically. (it cost me $14,000, which, I think, is a pretty good deal - do you?) One thing that really annoyed me was that the coloring of the dash (gray) is literally chipping/rubbing off - mostly on the sides that are hidden when the doors are closed, but a little on the top as well. I checked with Toyota and discovered that the interior trim is not covered under the extended warrantee, but they contacted the service manager at my dealership and he, in turn followed up with me. I think this was a good route to go, as they took the issue fairly seriously. As a result, he was able to get Toyota to cover the cost of a new dash - including the air bag assembly (over $1,200 in parts alone) as well as 1/2 of the labor (about $350). Not bad, considering the car is four years old and the dash is not covered under the warrantee. So, while they're replacing the dash, I thought I'd have a few other pieces replaced at the same time, such as the gauge lens, which looks like it was cleaned with sand paper, and hopefully the center panel around the air conditioner controls, which, as I mentioned earlier, is showing some blistering, etc. I'm already spending over $400 for the dash and the gauge lens, so I REALLY don't want to spend $600 for the center panel!

Regards,

John
    Hi,

Here's what I've found out this morning:

the center console part - according to several dealers - is an entire assembly. The part number is 5590448031 and the price is $599.49; the "control plate" that covers the shifter area is part number 3592148020 and it costs $176.28. I checked toyotadealer.com but there prices weren't much cheaper; I checked toyotaparts4u.com and can get the parts for $479.59 and $141.02, but If anyone knows where I might be able to do better, greatly appreciate some advice!

Much thanks,

John
  • ettriguenettriguen Member Posts: 2
    Hey Jsulmeyer,

I was looking in to doing the center console upgrade to my HL. I went to the sites you provided but I did not find a search option on the websites. How did you get the info?! and does the center console look like the newer model HL.

Thanks.

Victor
    Hi Victor,

Actually, we're talking about two different things. There's the center console that goes between the front seats, as seen in the 2002 and newer HL, and there's what I'm calling the front center console, with is basically the instrument panel, with the AC controls, etc. That's the one I've been trying to price (the upgrade you're referring to is over $1,000). As for the search feature, I've basically just been calling different online places on the phone and giving them the info and they've been giving me the prices.

Hope this helps,

John
    Dug up the service manual and it appears the black plastic bezel covering the AC control panel isn't available separately.

~$500 is alot to pay for a control panel when you just want a new bezel -- perhaps a junk yard or other sources for used automotive equipment may have the part -- a few years ago my auto body shop gave me a couple of phone numbers for some distributors in California of used auto parts (don't have the numbers any more) -- perhaps auto body shops in your area may be nice enough to put you in touch with such distributors, or they may even be willing to order the part for you.

Another idea is to remove the bezel, sand, and spray paint it with a good quality black semi-gloss to rejuvenate it...
  • ettriguenettriguen Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for clearing that up for me John
  • angiepdxangiepdx Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2004 Highlander, looking for a reasonable online place that may sell Toyota tinted Window Deflectors for it. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Angie
  • waltrdewaltrde Member Posts: 26
    I've a 2006 Hybrid Highlander (HH) as well. I just put on the Toyota hitch after comparing it to the aftermarket hitches available. I was able to get it from my local dealer for $247 with a 10% discount. I called around and that seems to be about as good as it gets on price. I did find a dealer in Texas that would ship for about the same $$$. There is zero difference between the HH and the 2005 Highlander when it comes to the hitch or towing. Both use the same Toyota part number, and the tow ratings are identical. If Toyota was worried about the transmission, they would have reduced the tow capacity rating on the HH. If your Highlander has the tow prep package, you should be in good shape. Since the CVT is integral the the Hybrid drive system, I believe it may be covered under the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty.

The aftermarket makers haven't updated their catalogs yet, so the retailers don't know what to say, but I found one salesman who called around and got word from the manufacturers that the '05 units were fine on the '06.

I decided to go with the Toyota because the aftermarket hitches are all coyote ugly and Toyota's is merely homely. The key difference being how they deal with the muffler. Toyota's hitch bent the right support tube around it, while the aftermarket folks hang a big U-bracket under the tail pipe (except for the square tube models, which I found to look even worse). Before the 2004 model (when Toyota started hanging the full size spare under the cargo area), the aftermarket hitches used an inverted U-bracket and the hitch frame could sit back further and high, so most of it was hidden by the bumper. It looks like they flipped it and made it larger to deal with the spare tire issue.

Beyond looks, the Toyota hitch has two advantages: First, it has a more secure mounting arrangement than any of the aftermarket hitches I looked at. Toyota includes two plates that mount to the side of the frame rails in addition to the bottom mounts that the aftermarket uses. This strengthens the frame in the attachment area, provides lateral stability and four more bolts connecting the hitch to the frame. Second, it comes with a mounted wiring harness that will plug into the 4 wire connector that's waiting for it under the left rear floor compartment (assuming you have the two prep package). You'll still need a converter box to completely tie in to the trailer light circuits. This can be found online for under $60.

I found no hint of trailer wiring in any of the aftermarket instructions that I looked at, so you're looking at either buying an aftermarket wiring solution or buying the wiring harness (around $50 from what I've read) and converter separately from Toyota. The converter installation instructions for the 2005 Highlander include the Hybrid. The decent aftermarket wiring solutions seem to cost at least $45 or more, so I tend towards the Toyota solution for the safety of my wiring harness.

As far as price goes, the way I figured it, the Toyota hitch costs $80 more than the best price with delivery that I could find on an aftermarket hitch and I don't have to buy a $50 harness. That puts the price at $30 over aftermarket if I go with the Toyota wiring for safety.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Try: http://www.allfortrucks.com

Don't be put off by the name. They have many accessories for the Highlander and are currently having a sale. They want $69 and change for four smoke colored deflectors. I don't know how this compares with other places but I have had good luck with the service and products here.
    I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could tell me definitively if a 2001 Highlander stereo can be swapped out with a 2005 model. They look as if they are the exact same dimensions, but the big question is whether or not the connectors on the back are the same. If they are not the same, can I purchase adaptors that will make the two match?

Plan B: If it is determined that the two stereos are not interchangeable, is it possible to buy a new faceplate for the 2001 stereo or would I have to buy the whole unit? BTW, how much is a new unit??

Much thanks!

John
    I personally prefer the "in-channel" units that fit inside the window frame over the exterior tape on variety. I've bought Weathertech units (I think they pioneered the in-channel design) on two of my vehicles and am quite happy with them. They appear to have a light and dark tint available for the Highlander. A few other companies now seem to have in-channel deflectors, but only have them in a dark smoke tint.

Deflectors4Less (www.deflectors4less.com/toyota2.html) seems to have the best selection of wind and bug deflectors I've found and their prices seem to be good when you consider that shipping is included.
    Nearest I can tell from the service manual the face plate for the radio is not sold separately unfortunately.

Don't know for sure if the two radios are interchangeable, but based on the fact that the signals going to the connector on the '01 radio are common to all stereos (+12V and GND, antenna input, speaker outputs, etc.), if the connector isn't the same, with some electrical know-how, a soldering pencil and both the '01 and '05 electrical service manuals for the radio connector pin-outs, I'm going out on a limb in saying it can probably be done with some effort; I seriously doubt if an adapter for connecting an '05 radio to an '01 HL exists.

Good luck!
    Much thanks, landdriver!

John
  • angiepdxangiepdx Member Posts: 26
    Thank you for the link, will go check them out!

Angie
  • happyhihyhappyhihy Member Posts: 4
    I'm interested in purchasing a rubber mat for the rear of my HH for use when ALL the seats are in the down position. Does anyone know of such a thing? I'd like to protect my carpet AND the back of my 2nd row seat when I've got stuff in the back.

And, does anyone know if I can ADD a 110v outlet as pictured on the Highlander Hybrid pamphlet that was hanging in my car when I bought it?

I'm the proud owner of new HH 4wd Limited ... that I bought in OH and drove back to Santa Clara, CA (I KNOW Stevens Creek Toyota too!). Any questions about the HH 4wd LTD - I'd be happy to help.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    DJ in Santa Clara (Wave if you see me in my Bluestone HiHy!) :blush:
    I'm interested in purchasing a rubber mat for the rear of my HH for use when ALL the seats are in the down position.

From the adds I've seen I've never seen such an animal, so its possible one may not exist...

DJ in Santa Clara (Wave if you see me in my Bluestone HiHy!)

I saw a Bluestone HH on Cristo Ray Road (near Rancho San Antonio) a few weeks ago -- it was the first (and only so far) HH I've seen on the road -- that wasn't you, was it?

LD in Santa Clara (Wave if you see me in my non-hybrid HL!!) ;)
  • pphamppham Member Posts: 4
    Hi everybody,

I bought a 2005 HL demo from dealer. I do not know if i have a towing package option or not. Dealer do not keep a listing of option on the vehicle.

I bought a towing hitch from Draw-Tite.
    Now I need a trailer wiring.

I have read numerous thread on this forum but still not sure what kit that I need. And how to install it .

I appreciate if someone point me to the right direction.

Thanks

Patrick
  • telecastertelecaster Member Posts: 4
    Hi, this is my first post. I just bought a used 2001 Highlander 4cyl FWD a few months ago and I really like it. One thing that I don't like is the sound quality of the base stereo, very boomy and muddy. Yes, I know how to access the midrange tone to tweak the sound but it doesn't really improve the boominess. Not having a lot of money to completely upgrade the whole system, I would like to change either the speakers or the head unit. I always thought that the speakers were the most important part of the sound, but some salesman at the stereo store told me to change the head unit first, that will have a greater impact on the sound. Does anyone have any comments that will help me make a decision?

Thanks,
    John
    Patrick,

I've looked at what it takes to put together a Toyota harness from parts and aftermarket on various online hitch retailers and it looks like to do things right you need to know whether or not your '05 has a tow prep package. eTrailer.com actually refers you to the dealer for the harness if you have the tow prep package. The dealer's service department can tell you in about 10 seconds if yours has tow prep, as all they need to do is look at the radiator. This should be a free assessment all things considered. Definitely don't get anything that just plugs into the tail lights and doesn't provide electrical isolation. Everything that I've found online recommends and isolated wiring system.

Walt
    HI waltrde,

>Second, it comes with a mounted wiring harness that will plug into the 4 wire >connector that's waiting for it under the left rear floor compartment.

I opened the driver side trunk compartment and see a 4 wire connector (male) but not sure it's the right one. It's by itself and connect to nothing. I do not know if my HL have a tow package. How can I know this is the right one.

Do you have a part number for the wiring harness and the converter

thanks

Patrick
    Yeah, the wires from the 4 pin connector seems to go nowhere, but I believe the existence of the 4 wire connector might be a good indication of the presence of the tow prep package. The Converter part number is 08921-48860 and the harness from the 4 pin connector to the end of the hitch is 08942-48870-BB. Armed with those, you should be able to shop around for a price. My local dealer takes 10% off the asking price for parts at the slightest complaint.

I found a link with a Toyota service document listing part numbers for all Toyota hitch wiring harnesses at http://tamg.sudjam.com/pant/PDF/04_48_Updated_TowingTrailer_WireHarness.pdf.

I can email the Toyota instructions for installing the converter, which should help to verify if you have all the connections.
    I'm not an expert on car audio but upgrading the speakers is generally considered the most effective way to improve a stock audio system. However someone else on these boards said he upgraded his head unit and it did make a marked improvement. I myself upgraded the amplifier before the upgrading the speakers and it did seem to improve the sound. But based on my experience I'd probably tend to start with the speakers first.
    Hi Waltrde,

Thank you for your help.

My email is: patrickphm@yahoo.com .

I located an online outfit that sell the harness that they say shall do for the 2005 HL. It includes a converter and a flat 4 wire plug. It has a picture. would you take a look for me to see if it look like the one that you bought from TOYO. Their instruction does not match with the plug that i ahve on my HL.

their link: http://www.accessconnect.com/trailerwiring.htm

I drop by the Toyo dealer tomorrow to let them see if my HL has a towing package.

Thanks

Patrick
    Patrick,

Looks nothing like the Toyota parts. It appears to be the Plug-N-Tow Wiring Connector kit that eTrailer.com sells for 2004-2005 Highlanders without the tow prep package.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=33425&- Category_Code=VWH

The illustrations and part numbers match.

I couldn't find any clear sources for aftermarket hitch wiring for the '04 and later Highlander. Too many sites are unclear as to the year and tow prep package compatibility. That was one of the reasons I had for going with the Toyota hitch, since it comes with everything but the dreaded converter, which is easy to come by if a little pricey.

In researching this reply, I went back to the Toyota Highlander Club Yahoo Group and did find that the above harness works whether you have the tow prep package or not. It just ignores the Toyota tow prep wiring and goes straight to the tail lights. It's not very elegant, but it does include a converter to preserve the tail light circuits. Because it doesn't take advantage of the Toyota harness, you have to run a wire all the way to the battery to power it. That's the long coil of red wire in the illustration. vtxbobby provides details at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyotahighlanderclub/message/3949. He also put up photos of his installation. You need join the group and the group owner has to approve you, which is a pain if you want to check them out.

I just looked at the kit that eTrailer has for the 2001-2003 with tow prep (they included the converter with those model year's tow prep) and it does have a 4 pin connector that looks like it could work with the tow prep 4 pin connector. vtxbobby tried that first last year, but without a Toyota converter it was worthless. I just asked him in that group if it plugged into the tow prep 4 pin connector.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=18245&- Category_Code=

Good luck!
  • spuffspuff Member Posts: 1
    I am deep in a speaker upgrade right now. The speakers are the best place to start. It does not help w/ distortion native to the head unit, but you'll see a very big improvement. I bought a pair of blaupunkts at crutchfield...70% off the original price. Unfortunately they don't fit as promised, so i'm doing some adjusting to make it work. The "premium" jbl speakers are paper and foam crap and I totally agree about booming base. I can't even listen to it. If you're just looking for a better sound experience and not trying to build a "soundsystem" in your car, you should be satisfied with a speaker upgrade.
    Walt,

Thank you very much.

I shall join the Yahoo group to see the posted pictures of vtxbobby.

>In researching this reply, I went back to the Toyota Highlander Club Yahoo Group and did find that the above harness works whether you have the tow prep package or not. It just ignores the Toyota tow prep wiring .

In your message the above harness : Do you mean the Toyo harness or the Etrailer package .

Thanks,

Patrick
  • telecastertelecaster Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. Both you and landdriver say that speakers are the first thing to replace, so maybe that's where I'll start. I've heard good things about Infinity and also JL speakers, but I'll have to put in some overtime at work first.
  • dodgedodge Member Posts: 25
    Hello,

Is there any peformance upgrades that can be done to the highlander V6, I tested the 0 to 60, with a timmer and clocked it at 8.2.... which is just as fast as a ford escape and explorer :mad: and want to at least get it down to 6.5, so when I am a light I can blow past an escape. :P I live in michigan and go to work in detroit so alot of them like to try and beat me from a light and they come close.

So if there is some one is out there that can help I would love the feedback

David
    The Etrailer package appears to work with either. It just doesn't take advantage of the existing Toyota tow prep wiring.
  • juniejunie Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a Highlander Hybrid and would like to add a navigation system. My dealership recommended Car Toys. Any experience with Car Toys or any suggestions on adding a navigation system?
  • jsaint0625jsaint0625 Member Posts: 1
    I need to get new tires for my '03 Highlander. I have 43,000 miles on the original tires and the tires have sucked since Day 1. I always felt some skidding every time it rained. Does anyone have a recommendation on new all-weather tires? I'm looking for a reasonably priced, reliable all-weather tire. And if you could recommend a good tire shop in the Ellicott City/Columbia, MD area, that would be great. Thanks!
  • gklatvgklatv Member Posts: 35
    Michelin Cross Terrain tires have been often recommended. Michelin LTX MS is mentioned a lot, too, and has a bit more aggressive thread. Expect to pay around $150/tire installed for either of those. I've seen these tires sold in Costco in the midwest.
  • phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    We recently replaced our poor Bridgestone's on our '03 w/36000 miles with Michelin Cross Terrains. I made the choice after following posts here for the last 3 years. Those stock tires were poor in every respect. These new tires seem to handle better and are quiet. I fully expect to get almost double the mileage out of them. After some rebates I think the bill was about $500 (been about 3 months now).

Phil
  • tourguidetourguide Member Posts: 190
    Michelin tires are often recommended here, but honestly, if you are willing to pay $150 per tire, then you really should check out Nokian tires. Our local Cooper dealer sells them and they simly can't be beat for winter traction. As I understand it, they should go for 60,000 miles and are superior to the Michelin tires in most aspects, except price. The last I heard, they went for $110-$120 per tire installed.

You should check out their website, it will show your size options. Nokian was formerly a Europe only brand - Switzerland specifically I think, but they have partnered with Cooper to manufacture and distribute tires in North America.
  • happyhihyhappyhihy Member Posts: 4
    Hi ...

Has anyone installed something to interface with their iPOD? I'm interested in adding the iPOD, but don't want to lose the steering wheel and on-screen capabilities. I've tried the FM type and they stink! I'd really like to add something directly into my existing stereo system.

I'm really bummed that Toyota didn't have it already IN my new HH'06 LTD and no bluetooth and no 110v outlet too! Three huge stubbed toe awards for these oversights!

Let me know about your iPod ideas please,
    Thanks!
    DJ
  • mcnosemcnose Member Posts: 6
    My iPod dilemma ended a few months ago when I actually found a solution after months of annoying issues. I do have a solution for you (assuming the radio in your 06HH has the same radio as my 05H (non-limited) (if not the same radio, the same CD Changer port on the back- which I assume it would be), but first, my story...

I got the cheap radio because I was gonna replace it with the Clarion I had purchased only a few months earlier for my "99 4Runner. It had RCA jacks in the back and worked exactly as designed (1 wire to 3rd Gen iPod, iPod controls work, sounds great).

I bought my '05H and attempted to find an adapter, as I didn't want the aftermarket look, nor have to remove and replace the faceplate all the time. Well, I couldn't find one, so I bought a American Installation dash kit to fill in the 2DIN space left by the 1DIN Clarion. It looked horrible, but I lived with it for a while. Until....

I found an adapter for the Toyota radio. Made by USA Spec, from Crutchfield. I hooked it up, and it worked. Problem solved... for 4 days. At which point it stopped working. I took apart the dash (at which I was pretty adept at, as I've done it about a dozen times in 2 months) and reseated all the cables and it worked. Problem solved... for a day. Same procedure, same outcome, it worked for another day. I called Crutchfield and had them replace it. They did.

Got the new one, now reread the previous paragraph to find out what happened with the replacement. Yup, 4 days, 1 day, 1 day, returned.

Put the Clarion back in.

Now, for the part you were waiting for, I found another adapter, by P.I.E. (model TOY03-AUX) for $70 at MyRadioStore.com. (the '04H is listed, but not the '05H- trust me, it works in my '05H)

My Setup:
    -Added an additional cig lighter plug behind the dash (near the passenger side footwell)
    -Have a Belkin cig adapter with an audio plug in the cig part (with volume control) ~$40
    -Plug an RCA to 1/8" audio plug from the Belkin to the PIE adapter (hidden behind the radio, attached to the underside of the top of the dash with velcro (above the dash vents))
    -Push "Disc" on the radio to listen to the iPod
    -Hide my iPod in the glove compartment when not in use- the Belkin plug stays attached as I have the cable running to the back of the glove compartment
    -The only thing visible from the car is the mount (which is also the only permanent fixture- I took apart the radio (you read that right), drilled a small hole in the face of it and attached a small recepticle for a button type clip stuck to the back of the iPod (like the cellphone-button-clip-things)

The iPod is off when the car is off, and charges when it's on. It can be played from the glove box, if needed to be. Volume is controlled by the radio. My friend has one of those Monster Cable things that lets you use the factory radio controls instead of the iPod controls for fast foward/reverse... 2 words- Hate it. I think you loose the ability to scroll or use the list. It's only good to skip when using shuffle.

Hope you made it through the story (or did the sensible thing and skipped ahead) and that my trials and tribulations help you.

brian
  • mcnosemcnose Member Posts: 6
    I want to replace my mast antenna (non-electric, always up) with the up/down type. Can anyone give me some clue as to how to do it, and what to buy (or look for when buying). Also, is it easy?

Thanks,
    brian