Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Aftermarket Heated Seats

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
I've seen one or two places advertising aftermarket heated seat kits that you can install, either yourself or have done at an authorized dealer. It looks like you peel back the cloth or leather and stick the heating elements on, reattach the upholstery and connect the wiring. Has anyone had this done or know of any links? TIA.

Steve
Host
Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Comments

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    This Canadian company makes a product called "Comfort seat heaters":
    http://calgary.shaw.wave.ca/~csobchuk/Comfort_Seat/index.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • hganihgani Member Posts: 4
    This is another company that also makes DIY seat heater and lumbar support:

http://www.rostra.com
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good, that one has an installation manual. Anyone tried this?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    sounds like a big job for a diy project
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Member Posts: 179
    I had a driver side heated seat installed in my wife's '99 Accord by a local outfit that specializes in car upholstery. Can't recall exactly, but I think it was about $250. Worked fine last winter, she loves it, but recently the forward and back power seat switch (but not the tilt and up-down switches) became inoperative. The Honda dealer who did the repair said it was due to a problem with the seat track, which makes no sense to me. Can't say if the after-market heated seat had any bearing on the problem, but thought I mention it FYI.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A journalist from a wire service is looking for comments about heated seats - do you really love them, or really hate them, or really hate having to pay for them in an option package? Please send your thoughts and daytime contact info to [email protected] by Tuesday, November 12 at 2pm Eastern.
    Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Now I don't know this for certain and I don't know if this is only for Toyota's, but I was told that aftermarket heated seats can not be added to cars with Side airbags. They told me this is because the seat heaters would interfere with the sensors in the seat for the side airbags.

Just an FYI.

Ken
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I found this link for a heated car seat cushion, with a lumbar back support:

http://www.comforthouse.com/winelseatcus.html

Just plug it into the cigarette lighter, and stay warm during cold winter months. Built-in climate control maintains a comfortable temperature. Only $39.99 ($34.99 web price) + shipping.
  • cmruffcmruff Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone found a sturdy car seat with decent back support? I drive wayyy too many miles in a Civic, and it's becoming harder every day to force myself into the driver's seat! I don't care about heat - just a prop...
    Thanks!
    Cyn
    Recaro?

Check the archives:

Recaro seats

Aftermarket seats besides recaro?

Steve, Host
  • eggenbergereggenberger Member Posts: 7
    for my 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe. They came with heating pads for both the cushion and back and had GM style round control buttons with HI, LO, and off. All the wiring is ready to install with connectors and control unit and the install is relatively simple although it does take time to do it properly. Wiring harness comes with its own fuse and plugs into any suitable fuse opening on the car, even if there is already a fuse in the opening. Just have to pick one that is live only when the key is on so you can't accidentally run the battery down.
    I mounted the switches on the center console so there can be no interference with the power seat,
    Looks factory installed.
    Price was reasonable - $154.00 per seat - and the warranty is one year.
    In the winter, you feel heat in about 2 blocks (this through your heavy pants!).
    Seriously considering putting them on the front and middle seats of my wife's Dodge Caravan even though they are cloth. Just gets a little pricey if you get 4 of them.
    Web address is www.Sportsimportsltd.com.
    How difficult was the install of the heater elements in the seats themselves? Did you remove the seats to work on them?

Steve, Host
  • eggenbergereggenberger Member Posts: 7
    Took out the passenger seat by popping off the track covers, then removing the 2 nuts and 2 bolts that hold the tracks to the floor.
    Took the seat inside and took the molded back off, then opened the hog rings at the back of the seat and the bottom of the back so I could slide the heating pads in between the leather and the padding. The pads have a covering on one side that peels off to reveal a sticky side so you have to do this carefully. Peel down an inch or two and carefully work the pad into the proper position without any wrinkles and slowly peel the paper down as you stick the pads. The enclosed instructions cover this very well.
    Then put the hogrings back in.
    Drivers seat is the same except you have to disconnect the power seat wiring under the seat.
    While the seats are out, fish the wiring harness for each seat under the carpet from the console to the midpoint under the seat (cut an X in the carpet under the seat where you want the wiring to come out). On my car, I removed the storage bin from the console to get to the interior to finish running the wiring and CAREFULLY measured and cut the holes for the switches just in front of the shift lever. Then finish running the wiring harnesses through the front of the console up to the lower backside of the dash and over to the fuse block at the left end of the dash and plug the harnesses in. On my car there were 2 unused fuseholders that I used, however, the harness can be piggybacked into a holder that is already used.
    Then put the seats back in, bolt them down, plug in the wiring, and test them out.
    As I said, not difficult but somewhat time consuming to do properly and neatly.
    Other cars may require going under the floor pan to remove nuts or bolts to remove the seats and other consoles may not be as easy to work on (or may be easier!).
    Strongly suggest the shop manual for all this.
    Mounting the switches in the seat trim appears to be even easier if the trim will support this.
    Mounting the switches in the door panels as on some GM vehicles would be much more difficult plus would require getting wiring harness extensions from Sports Import which would also up the price a bit.
    By the way, these pads can only be installed on seats that have separate padding and upholstery. They cannot be installed on seats that are molded in one piece.
    Good info - thanks!

Steve, Host
  • micksdad1micksdad1 Member Posts: 32
    I am looking to install aftermarket leather in a 2004 Toyota 4Runner. Has anybody looked into either Katzkin and Classic Soft Trim, which did you choose and why? Thanks.
  • ssaundersssaunders Member Posts: 4
    Anyone,
    I was quoted a price of $635 to have heated seats (driver and passenger) installed in my Infiniti I30. Is this too high? What price range should I be looking for?
  • harris1harris1 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for options for either adjusting the heat range on the heated seats or worst case scenario- replacement with a good aftermarket. The heated seats aren't worth the money. The wife dosn't even bother to turn the seats off in the middle of summer {and that is on high not low}.After I was told by one dealer there was nothing wrong I tried another who said there was no adjustments to be made.I also talked to aservice rep who said basicaly the same thing and that I could not talk to anybody in the tech department.If I had any idea that these seats were so bad I would have bought another vehicle.I am totally dissatisfied with Suburu and its service.
  • harris1harris1 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 Subaru Baja with factory front heated seats that aren't worth the money. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan where it is a must in the winter. After the dealer checked it they said there was nothing wrong and to live with it. It looks like my only option is to have the factory heaters ripped out and replaced with a good aftermarket set. They are so bad that they shouldn't even be offered. On the other hand I also own a 2000 dodge 3500 with factory heated seats that I have never had to put on high,the low setting was more than adequate. I am totally satisfied with the dodge heated seats and they are well worth the extra option money.
    Almost on topic:

Hot options for cold cars (CNN Money)

Steve, Host
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I did this on my jeep Wrangler a few years ago. Great mod.

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/seatheat.htm

-twylie
  • bwanapbwanap Member Posts: 2
    From an earlier discussion it seems that the aftermarket heaters work pretty well. Anybody have good or bad experiences with particular brands? I see a whole lot of them out there now.
  • rlarprlarp Member Posts: 1
    There are certainly a number of them out there, but I would suggest looking at Check Corporation. This company makes seat specific seat heaters that are OEM grade, if not better. I think there website is "www.seatheater.com"

I have been satisfied with the product, and it really has exceeded my expectations. They're obviously made with high quality components, and the installer had nothing but great things to say about them. I orignally went to another installer who seemd to only care about doing it quickly, and seemed to only want me in and out as quickly as possible. Be just as careful finding an installer, becuase some obviously care a great deal, and others only care about how much they can charge you. If that's all they care about, they're certainly not going to be using anything other than something cheap! I understand that a good majority of the sat heaters are mass produced in China, but I do believe that the Check Corp seat heater is made in USA. I can't remember for sure, so make sure you confirm this.

I hope this helps!
  • m3girlm3girl Member Posts: 1
    heated seats are so worth it. I have a 2005 cadillac cts w/ heated seats and i cant imagine it any other way on a cold morning, i also got it on our 2006 Lincoln Mark lt and its vey handy...im also thinking about getting aftermarket heat seats on our daughters 2005 Vw Jetta. Anyways who wants a cold butt? :P
  • tabotabo Member Posts: 2
    When I was younger, I didn't really care for seat heaters, but after I purchased a set from heatedseatkits.com, I realized how comfortable they are and it feels great to turn them on when it rains or at night. My girlfriend usually fights to see who turns them on first! The kit I bought was only $120 each which is a very good deal since I have had them for over 4 years now. I will never own another car without seat heaters!

Tabo
  • marcrock1marcrock1 Member Posts: 7
    I recently just bought an 07 4-Runner. It has leather w/heated seats that was installed by the dealer not the factory. The leather install looks great and seems to be a good install. But When I bought the vehicle the driver's side heater did not work. I told the dealer to check the passenger side and they said it worked fine,"of course". The passenger side works no where near as good as the driver's side and now it doesn't even turn on. My question is are aftermarket heated seats garbage and/or are they as good as the factory? Now I have to bring it back to the dealer and they send it back to their install company. Is it even worth it?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I like to go with OEM options when possible so they are covered by warranty. :)

-mike
  • sylle2007sylle2007 Member Posts: 2
    AFTER DRIVING MY 2007 SUBURBAN FOR APPROXIMATELY 51/2 HOURS NONSTOP WITH MY HEATED SEATS ON WHEN I ARRIVED HOME MY CLOTHES WHERE STICKING I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS DUE TO MAYBE SITTING SO LONG AND POSSIBLY SWEATING BECAUSE I HAD ON A EXTRA HEAVY SWEAT SUIT PLUS A COAT. BUT THE NEXT MORNING BOTH MY LEGS WERE BLISTERED AFTER A COUPLE OF DAYS COULD NOT TAKE THE PAIN NOR NURSE MY BLISTERS ANY LONGER BECAME CONCERNED ABOUT GETTING INFECTIONS I SOUGHT PROFESSIONAL HELP WHERE I FIND I HAD 1ST DEGREE BURNS ON BOTH LEGS. I WAS TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE, I HAVE NOT USED MY HEATED SEATS SINCE EXCEPT THEY COME ON AUTOMATICALLY WHEN I START THE VEHICLE WITH MY REMOTE BUT I MAKE CERTAIN THEY ARE NOT ON WHEN I SIT DOWN .
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    My Legacy GT has very hot seats, but I turn them off before I get burnt.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • sylle2007sylle2007 Member Posts: 2
    I ASSURE YOU HAD I KNOWN IT WAS CAUSING MY SKIN TO BURN I WOULD HAVE TURNED IT OFF. THAT WOULD BE THE SENSIBLE THING TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anyone try putting an aftermarket heated seat kit in a car equipped with side air bags. Can it be done?
  • reg331reg331 Member Posts: 2
    I know there have been numerous discussions on aftermarket heated seats but you must be aware of Auto Warm and HeatedSeatkits.com. They are the same company. I purchased $280 worth of heated seat pads from HeatedSeatKits.com and found one of the LED Switches to be defective. I immediately tried to get a new part but without success. This company is out of Vancouver Canada and does not allow you to speak to a live person. Instead they refer you to their website and charge you for the part plus shipping. There are better companies out there that will provide better customer service and stand by their product.
    New Hampshire
  • lisalee2lisalee2 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys,

I am currently looking for an aftermarket heated seat kit that offers both heat and massage. The only 2 companies that I found which offer this is CheckCorp and heatedseats.com. Has anyone had any experiences with either of the 2? I've not heard good things about heatedseatkits.com, but I just want more feedback.

Thanks.
  • raukrauk Member Posts: 1
    I called them for assistance on purchasing no reply. I e-mailed them, my e-mail was kicked back no valid address. I can't imagine how frustrating this would be if you had the seat out of your car and needed assistance or if there was a malfunction a bit later. Thumbs down on heatedseatkits.
  • willig69willig69 Member Posts: 3
    After checking the reviews on your link to "sportsimportsltd.com" I don't think this is the place to be buying a heated seat from.
    Check it out....and thank god for consumer reviews...

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Sports_Imports_LLC
    edited October 2013
    Heh, guess that story needs "usual disclaimers" attached to it. The BBB doesn't seem to approve of them either.

Feel free to post your comment there as well.
    I searched hi and lo and was having trouble finding good reviews on any....until I bumped into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0RUXYk713c

These seats and all components are made in the U.S.A. 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. Whe I phoned their number I got an answering machine....they got back to me within 30 min. Very impressed with the speedy response and the very helpful and courteous customer assistance.
    This is where I have chosen to buy a seat heater for my sweetie's buns. (Did I type that out loud?)

http://www.heatyourseat.com/

I will keep you posted on how they turn out.

:shades:
    What kind of vehicle will you put them in? Any concerns about sensors for any side airbags (or worse, in seat airbags)?

Interesting to see that people are using zip ties instead of hog rings to put the seats back together.
    I will be putting the Check Corp. seat heaters in a 2013 Mazda 2....let me rephrase that.
    My friend will be putting them in. He is a top notch auto re-upholsterer.
    He assured me that he could put the seat-heater in cheaply, with no trouble, as long as the seat fabric isn't glued to the foam. To check this you just pinch the fabric to see if it is loose or glued. Very important to check this out first, to see if your seat is compatible. The cost would go up if not
    I will keep you posted for sure on how it works out.
    Take care Steve.

Willi
    Ha, you've been holding out on me. :-)

Bet your friend has a real hog ring tool and everything.

I am curious to see if he declines jobs that involve seat air bags or if he can work around them.