Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Would it be too simple to assume that Madeline was playing an "April Fools" joke on us?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The hatch getting ripped off the car?? I do say!!! What heresy in a Yugo, let alone a Mercedes. Someone has issues with their imagination....
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Member Posts: 146
    Can we just eliminate the bs and just erase all of its posts? I feel dumb enough, having responded to its posts in the beginning; having the dumb posts stay around is just annoying. I feel like one of the guys who was searching for the Loch Ness monster - just delete them already.

HH - and now, for something completely different... did you end up joining the MBCA? If so, are you going to the tech event at Globe on Saturday? I'm going - should be interesting to see if we get real answers or fluff out of the MB techs.
  • bkswardbksward Member Posts: 93
    Ok, I was reading the Edmunds review on the C230, and I know a few people have mentioned how much you can add in options to a C230. But I just don't understand how the reviewer got to $17k in options.

The most loaded up I could get the car on price this car with options was around $12.5k in options. If you took the entire list of options and tried to get both the CD changer w/Telephone and the CD changer w/telephone w/voice activation, and then also got both the leather and sunroof by themselves and a second sunroof and more leather as part of the premium package. Then I could see it...

Are there other options that aren't listed, or did the reviewer just get slightly lazy?

As for the car, I like it but I don't know if I want to swing the extra money above my other options. I can buy it, or I can buy a GTI 1.8T w/leather and pay off the rest of my student loans for the same money.

-Brian
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    The most loaded up I could get the car on price this car with options was around $12.5k in options.

I've gotten higher. There are a few hidden costs. For example, there's a $1150 extra surcharge if you order a nonstandard interior/exterior colors combination, and this is in addition to whatever optional costs for metallic paint and leather interior.

If you go to MB's website and their Build-your-own page, you can see the numbers. Playing around, I was able to get up to a MSRP of $40,479.20 by choosing all of the expensive colors/options on Step 1 & 2 (including taking the value package instead of the individuals), plus on Step 3, just the 6CD changer, although this might be double-dipping with the telephone package (should be doublechecked).

So if I would have added the $399 Illuminated Front Door Sill Panels, I still would have been above $15K in options. I would easily believe that with the additional costs for cargo mats, roof racks and the like that another $1K could be added, if you really wanted to, so I don't think that a claim of $17K is completely out of sight.

-hh

PS: HH - and now, for something completely different... did you end up joining the MBCA? If so, are you going to the tech event at Globe on Saturday? I'm going - should be interesting to see if we get real answers or fluff out of the MB techs.

No, I haven't gotten around to that yet. We'll have to talk some more.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    When I was in Maryland a few months ago, I saw a C230 K loaded up with a bunch of options including Capri Blue Paint, Oyster Leather, Panorama Sunroof, COMMAND System, TouchShift, C7 Wheels...and a few other options. The sticker was close to $37K. I asked the dealer about it and he said it was a special order that was cancelled. Most of the other cars on the lot had TouchShift, Panorama Roof and maybe power seats and their stickers were under $30K. I continue to be impressed by tha fact that most MB dealers have a selection of C230Ks the have an MSRP of under $30K. Though I rarely see a 6 speed on the lot though:(

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I just thought that y'all might like to know that your Troll of Late has moved on, he/she is now Trolling over on the "BMW 330i vs. Audi A4 3.0", claiming to own a 330i with problems.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • subcommander03subcommander03 Member Posts: 1
    I got my new C230 about a couple of weeks ago and I love it! It's a great car to drive and my friends are raving about it (got to love that jealousy factor!) I got most of the options on my car, including the sport tires.
    A week ago a car gang came through my neighbourhood. They jacked up my neighbour's SLK 320 and took the tires right off of it without setting off the alarm. They had started on my car, they had most of the lugnuts out of the tires, when something must have spooked them. All in all, we heard that 3 other Mercedes in our area all had the tires stolen off of them.
    The moral of the story: your C-Coupe does not come with Wheel locks standard, so you better get some! You may think I'm a bonehead for not knowing this ahead of time, but you can bet I've learned my lesson!
  • jacktimjacktim Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my C-230K in September and took delivery last week after 6 1/2 months. I was told lack of leather for this model was the problem. I also got C-4,C-5, brilliant silver and navigation. The car is flawless.
    I just hope I can put off backing into something for a while as I'm having trouble adjusting to the wavy plastic insert. I want to tint the windows and install XM satellite. Does a hole have to be cut through the ashtray bottom to install it there?
    If anyone tinted the windows, did you do the back and what color and percent did you use?
    Nice car! Glad they didn't get your wheels. I hate to break it to you, but even if you did have wheel locks, they could've taken the wheels off the car. The only way to prevent wheel theft is to buy 4 of the boots the police use to boot your car when you've got too many parking tickets! LOL! It isn't funny, but considering the circumstances, but there is some humor in walking outside and seeing your car on blocks with no wheels on it and the rest of the car perfectly intact.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ciracira Member Posts: 37
    Finally I took delivery yesterday of my 230 with C1, C4 and C5. The car is a joy to drive and I echo all of the fabulous comments made here by those lucky enough to know this car sooner than me. I have only one problem which is with the sunroof (no it has not fallen off). I have raised this issue in the past (based on my test drives) but have not received many comments. With the sunroof open, there is a very evident air fluttering over the windscreen and open glass that produces ear pain, a feeling akin to descending in an aircraft. It comes and goes, but is present most of the time. It gets so bad that my passengers request that the roof be closed (so what's the purpose of that wonderful panoramic roof?). I know that MB is redesigning the windscreen for 2003. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how has your dealer addressed it? I really want to be able to go to the dealer with some information (and I really want to be able to enjoy my panoramic roof open).
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    Sunroof resonation is a very common occurrence on many vehicles. Both of my wife's last two cars have had it, and my (older) 911 has it as well.

The general fix is to open one, not both, of the side windows a bit.

-hh
  • aavlisaavlis Member Posts: 3
    Cira, How do you know the windscreen is being redesigned for 2003?

I, like others, have noticed buffeting around 40-50MPH. I can't speak for my passengers (haven't had any in the back with roof open) but, the buffeting hasn't caused me physical pain.

I can't imagine the dealer coming up with a fix in this case. They'll probably tell you what Huntzinger said: It's a sunroof- wind comes in and resonates. Close the roof or open a window.
    aavlis, see my post #888 for a list of 2003 changes. Thanks to you and Huntzinger for the advice. I was hoping there were something less practical and more technical I could do to address the problem - I just like the windows up. Anyway, still enjoying the ride!
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    In light of compelling evidence to support your claims, I got the go ahead from management to delete the posts in question. For the sake of continuity, I also deleted a number of messages that were in direct response to these posts. That's for the heads up.

And now back to the subject of the Mercedes-Benz C230. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    Very cool, thanks for going to bat for us. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I have some buffeting in my car, which isn't a C230. The sunroof has two opening positions. The first stops about 3 inches before the roof is completely open. If you push the button again it opens the rest of the way. With the roof fully open their is a big increase in the amount of buffeting and you really notice it. With the roof stopped in the first position you really don't notice any buffeting until you get into 60 MPH+ range.

I don't remember if you could control how far the sunroof opens when I drove the C230. You might try not opening the roof all the way and see if it helps. I loved the C230 sunroof when I drove the car, I think there will be some buffeting with just about any car with a sunroof open at some point.
    Thank you very much!

Cira, I've seen that list posted elsewhere and my opinion is that we won't see these changes 2003. it reads more like someone's wishlist rather than reliable info. I find it hard to believe MB would make that many changes after just one year in production. I'd be willing to bet that those changes will happen incrementally over the life span of the car (typically 6 years?) if at all. In the case of the roof design, I would think that MB tested the design and optimized it before it's production release. A redesign after only one year would mean to me that they just slapped the design toghether for the 2002 and released it without testing it at highway speed. Highly unlikely. Ditto for the seats and steering wheel: I wouldn't hold my breath...
  • timjacktimjack Member Posts: 7
    I've only got 350 miles on my car and the past two times I've started it in the morning, I'm met with this high pitch whine that goes away after about 15 minutes. Customer service told me that as cars get older you'll hear new noises. Finding that unacceptable I called Carol at 800-FOR-MERCEDES and luckily she's got one of these and told me to take it in for service and if they all do it at some point, line a couple up in the lot and let me hear it on them. Got an appointment next week.
  • dsackmandsackman Member Posts: 145
    Thank you. That is fair.

Regards,

Daniel
  • chipmanchipman Member Posts: 3
    I have found a coupe with the color, interior, and other options I want but it does not have a sunroof. My last car had a sunroof but I seldom used it except to crack it open for ventilation. I don't like the sun beating down on me and when the roof was open it was quite noisy. You don't really see out of it if you sit in the front except when the car is stopped at rest on occasion. It's nice for backseat passengers but I almost never carry backseat passengers. The color of the coupe is white and I like the exterior look of the white hard top better than with the black sunroof. The sunroof seems to be a big selling point for this car and my guess is reselling will be harder without it. So, what do you think, am I crazy to buy a hard top especially if I plan to sell it in a coupe of years?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You're welcome. Btw, just noticed my typo above; I meant to say "thanks" for the heads up! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Member Posts: 146
    buy the car that YOU want, and not to worry about what may happen with a possible sale years down the road. If you really don't want a sunroof, don't get one. There are plenty of people who share your misguided opinion of not liking them :-). It really is a very nice sunroof, though!

Also, don't discount the rain sensing wiper aspect of the package - it's a great feature all on its own. Not worth the cost of thd C2 package by itself, but it's a nice throw-in in its own right.

Revka, glad that you were able to remove the offender.
  • rancheroranchero Member Posts: 25
    Chipman - I bought a C230K with no sunroof; I am very pleased with it and do not regret missing out on the admittedly very slick device. Though I have not seen any failure issues posted here, I have read complaints about buffeting when using the sun roof. I don't have that problem. I prefer the look of my car too (with the roof panel finished in paint to match the rest of the car) to the sun roof closed look of the cars whose glass top contrasts with the finish on the rest of the car. It is a matter of choice, of course, but I rarely have used sunroofs on previous cars so standard car was my preference.
    Tommyp13 is right, buy what you like. If you won't use it, don't buy it. I am a sunroof freak. I switch my heated seat on in the winter and open the roof - I just love fresh air. But if that is not you, don't get it just because you think it goes with the car. If it helps, I will tell you that the car is very quiet with the roof either open or closed. I am one who complained about the buffeting, but not about noise. Also, with the sunshade open and the roof closed, the car is a lot more airy inside, and the tinted glass keeps the sun from bothering you 90% of the time. So from a functional perspective, I don't think you will be unhappy if you purchase a 230 with the sunroof "for resale purposes." But if I didn't like the way the car looked with the sunroof and I wasn't planning on opening it, I wouldn't get it.
    get what you want! Don't buy the car for someone else 5 years down the road.

I decided to go with the sunroof. Cira's comment "(with)...the sunshade open and the roof closed, the car is a lot more airy inside" was a deciding factor that I had not considered. I also like the fact that I can vent the car and I know I'll get some pleasure opening the roof during the summertime as well. I still say the all white coupe looks sharper but after weighing all the factors the sunroof gets the nod.

Thanks for the input everyone!
  • pablo129pablo129 Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone has installed an XM radio in their C230 yet. I was thinking of having one installed as an add on with the FM Modulator. I am not sure where to have the display installed though. Any thoughts/suggestions....

Thanks,
    Pablo
    Congrats on your new car! I don't believe I've seen an Alabaster White C Coupe Yet!

Good luck Chipman. I know you are going to love the sunroof (open or closed) and personally I think that the white and black contrast will only add to the pleasing look of the car. Enjoy it, I know I am. I picked mine up exactly a week ago at this hour and I am loving it (brilliant silver with black leather). I take the long way to and from work everyday!
    pablo12- Go to the C-Class(203) forum at MBworld.org and do a search for poster name "Buddha" (The search function is on the right-hand side at bottom of screen). Buddha talks about his installation and posted a pix.

Good luck
  • vkwheelsvkwheels Member Posts: 218
    I test-drove a MB C230 last weekend. The salesman, who seemed to be a decent fellow, called today to say they're having a sale ('very aggressive pricing') this weekend. This might be the case at other dealerships. I don't want to be here advertising, but you can email me for details if you want, because I normally don't haunt this board.
  • bmoody1bmoody1 Member Posts: 3
    After procrastinating for months, I ordered my C230 on 4/9/02.

After the test drive and the decision to buy, my dealer went to her printouts to see what was coming in. Her 2003 list (which starts in June) did NOT include C230s. Instead, C190s noted as "(new engine)" were on the list. She said that MBUSA had apparently changed the engine to keep costs in line.

I was able to order one of the few C230s to be produced in May, but almost waited too long.

Has anyone else heard this? If it is true, and you have been waiting, don't wait too long.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...are indeed coming for next year. The new, all-aluminum 4 cyl engine has been documented on the MBSPY website...long article that you can read there.

http://mbspy.bacosys.be/index2.html

Look for the M271 Engine Series article - Misc near the bottom of the index page.

With supercharging, direct injection, balance shafts, and [I think] ULEV certification, these engines should be less thirsty and about the same in power for each of the older engines that they replace in the lineup.

Since the Coupe is the only MB currently sold here with a 4 cyl, and since there will no doubt be only the one engine choice for us, all of the verbiage about the rest of what the new family of 4 cyls will offer is beside the point.

Power and torque will be VERY slightly less than the current 2.3, but fuel consumption, smoothness, quiet, and emissions all favor the new engine. [Long story, but this should have happened about 5 years ago, however MB botched an earlier attempt to replace all of the old-gen 4s in the lineup...they are ready now to get on with it.]

• yanbukenyanbuken Member Posts: 12
    Just like the majority of posters to this board, I am a very happy owner of a C230. I purchased this car from the MB dealer in Greensville, SC, in Nov 01, and was treated like a king by them.

I was very impressed with the dealer, with the Mercedes mystic, their leading-edge safety and service reputation, and with my road testing of the car. Although I was in the market for a BMW 3 series at the time, I was shying away from BMW after reading of all the problems owners were suffering from their electrical and mechanical problems during the last year. I especially felt that BMW in general, and the dealers specifically, were less than concerned with their customers problems then they should have been. Although the 3 Series drives/performs the best of all coupes in this category, I personally felt that the C230 with the 6 speed was close behind in fun to drive and road feel; and at $5k-10k less in price than the 3-Series, was the best choice. And I much preferred it to the WRX and RSX-Type S in ride, quality and comfort too. Just my two cents.
  • hocky1hocky1 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 1994 C180 which has a glass sunroof. At the moment it has trouble sliding back and forth, a wee bit slow with some grinding noise like the motor struggling. It still opens and closes fully though, but it doesn't tilt up at all. Have been told it needs total overhaul and the pack costs A$1200 incl. labour to do it. Anybody out there having this problem yet? Car has done 180,000kms, maybe its time for some serious repair business! Was told the main culprit is the 2 sides lifting mechanism which is a complex of metal hinges and slides. The big cost is the labour as it takes 4 to 5 hours work. Also needs other related components which are not reusable, but required in this overhaul. Pray the motor is still alive after all this surgery!!!
    Hi-
    I am waiting for delivery on a black C230. I am wondering if the MB mud flap option will help in keeping the car clean. Has anyone bought them? Are there any pictures that show them?
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    Yeah bmoody, I bought and installed them. It does prevent the wash from the front wheels from getting on the sides of the doors. No pics but one thing I don't like about them is that they don't fit the under side contour of the car perfectly. There is a small gap in the center, about a 1/4". Installing them was kind of tricky, I didn't take the wheels off, and that might have made the install easier. If you want to avoid the hassle, have your dealer put them on.
  • chronopassionchronopassion Member Posts: 7
    Although it has been noted as having "VERY" slightly less power and torque, the numbers I read do not quite match that. Remember the current iteration with the 2.3 litre Kompressor can be tweeked all the way up to approx 230hp. So, even though the 2.3 is set around 192hp, the new engine is slated to get maybe 180hp or possibly something less in its final production (i.e. 170hp). So, 10% less hp with 5% greater mpg is not that big of a deal. Also, I will believe the new engine is quieter when I actually hear it. It is the supercharger that is the main noise you hear from the 2.3l. The new engine will also be supercharged, so I am not convinced it will be any quieter. As a side comment, I love the sound! So, make your own deicision, but I would not wait for the 2003 just because you think it is rumoured to be "better". The 2.3l will likely continue on in the SLK and in C Coupes in Europe. I think the new engine is simply a cheaper version to keep the entry price in the US near 25K. In my mind, that is a bad excuse to wait for the 2003.

CP
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    According to MBSPY the new 2.3L engine should muster at least 192hp (although, MBSPY actually quotes 197hp). I do agree that it may not be all that quieter as the engine will still use a supercharger, however low-noise MB claims it may be.

One poster recently mentioned that an MB dealership quoted that only 1.9L engines are coming this way for 2003 (although MBSPY only mentioned 1.8L and 2.0L engines). That could have been just a gimmick to get the buyer to sign on the dotted line :)

My take on this is that MB "might" introduce 2 engines for the C-Coupe -- a 1.8L/2.0L that generates 129hp/163hp and the 2.3L that generates 192 to 197 hp. Please note that the 1.8L is a non-supercharged engine. This is to further lower the price of admission and get the C-Coupe in Acura RSX price territory.

But, putting off buying a C230 Kompressor right now for new engines might not be the wisest as the new engines may have its share of teething pains. Also, the current engine is awesome as it is.

As for me, I just don't want to pay MSRP and am waiting for prices to fall since I'm a cheap [non-permissible content removed] :) (Plus, that G35 is so tempting).
    bmoody1, there was an extensive discussion on mudflaps at the mbworld.org forum a while back. When you go there search for mudflap. Pictures were posted. Jjpeter, check out that same forum. I think you may have the wrong mudflaps installed. I posted pictures of sedan flaps installed on the coupe and you'll see the gap you were describing. It is wrong- the coupe flaps are NOT the same as the sedan/wagon. The correct ones only come in a set-of-four, fit perfectly, and look better because they are slightly smaller. The correct part number is posted there or you can go to www.clairparts.com and order from the website.

Installation is a breeze. If you can change a tire yourself, you can install the mudflaps yourself.
    FYI - someone posted on the C board the following:

I just found out that MB will discontinue the 4 year extended warranty after April 30, and increase prices of the shorter plans. I saw it on the E-class bulletin board, and just called my dealer who confirmed it. So, it's time to buy the extended warranty before it's too late. I'm in the process of buying now.
  • l_yao1l_yao1 Member Posts: 15
    I just bought the RSX-S last Christmas. And would someone can tell me if the C230 is a better car or not, because I love the parano..roof, and also the rear window stuff. (also the RSX-S got no traction control and Stability control that I already know that C230 it has!)
    Also what sound system it goes with? and is there a sub in there? ( RSX-S got 7-speaker Bose sound system with a 4' sub in the spare-tire. and 6-disc in-dash changer with cassette player.) Thanks for help!!!

ps: just base on the car itself not the price please thanks!!!
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    You sound like a car hopper. I can tell you, unless you like losing money, don't dump a new car for the latest model to impress your friends unless you have a good reason to - lemon, totaled in a wreak etc. All the things you are asking can be found on the MB world web site or in the brochure at your local MB dealer. Otherwise look further back into history in this forum thread and all the things you are asking about have been discussed.
    Thanks jjpeter and aavlis!
    I saw the pics and the mud flaps look great. I am definately going to have the dealer install them.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/

Since the topic is on the table as to whether or not the new engine family represents a real breakthrough, this Brit auto publication certainly thinks so. See their review of the MB 200 CGI. This engine is the one that gets the new gasoline direct injection system, which we probably won't see in our market for awhile, but reading between the lines tells me the new engines will indeed be a step forward.

See, the source of the noise and general roughness of the current 4 cyl [yes, yes, I know it's been improved in the last 2 years, but still is not state-of-the-art] is NOT just the supercharger per se, but rather a whole host of design details that are all addressed with the new engines. The balance shafts in particular have got to help, but there are literally dozens of small things MB has done in the new engine to make it a real breakthrough. For our market, where the supercharged engine will be the focus for now, it is important that the blower itself is now mechanically driven...the drive system was a source of some of the complaints about courseness in the current-gen iron block 4.

My drive earlier this year of a C230 Coupe indicated to me that I would have had no trouble living with this car for a long time - I can understand that current owners who are satisfied are skeptical that the new engines will really make much difference. Maybe not, but the early reviews are certainly positive...

• chronopassionchronopassion Member Posts: 7
    Yes, I do own one of the current 2.3 litre C230K's, so I am probably a little prejudiced. However, I certainly knew about the new engines for 2003 and thought the current 2.3 litre would be a better choice. The UK story did firm one reason for my choice. The sentence is "The 0-60mph dash takes 9.2 seconds". The current 2.3 does it in approx 7.5 seconds. So, if given the choice, I will take a little noise getting me going much quicker. As before, I know several Indy Racing League drivers who all thought the noise of the engine was completely reasonable. I do not need to feel like I am not part of the car by having an ultra-quiet engine. Bottom line is performance to me for the C230K.

CP
  • dro1dro1 Member Posts: 3
    I got my new C230 shipped from CA on a dealer trade this week. So far, its great! (Black, C2, Leather).

I am a former BMW owner and thought that was a great car too (don't shoot) but wanted a change. I test drove a few others including the IS300 and the RSX-S. The Merc drove the best, and although 0-60 might be 0.9 slower, I like feel of the low end torque that was absent from the RSX (plus I don't want to drive a car at a sustained 4.5K RPM so that I can get power as needed).

A stereo upgrade will probably be in the works, but I found out that if you didn't get the CD player or want a digital MP3 player, the Panasonic Cassette adapter works well. Unlike the Sony adapter, the Panasonic cable is flexible enough to be able to close the face plate without jamming it, and the passenger side net holds a CD player well.

Anyone chip the car or otherwise tweak the supercharger?
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Thanks very much for the info on the Panasonic cassette adapter cable. Do you have a model number & can you please tell me where I could get one?

Never though of putting a portable CD player in the passenger side net. That's a great idea! Looks like I may not need to get an in-dash CD player after all.

- Paul
This discussion has been closed.