Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yep they nailed it with those wheels!! Best looking wheel design on a Mercedes sedan in many years.

Do any of you guys know what changes are in store for the C-Class for 2004?

M
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,904
    The only changes I'm aware of is the addition of an In Dash CD player, standard.

I read that we'll be seeing an all new C Class in 2006 as a 2007 model. It will be the first "everything by wire" Mercedes out on the market.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Thanks. I so wish Mercedes would delay some of this Buck Rogers stuff until they get some other things in order. This by-wire stuff is going to take all the "feel" out of driving a Mercedes.

M
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    It's not as if the recirculating ball steering system is known for great road feel.
    Maybe they can program the drive by wire steering and brakes with simulated "force feedback" like a video game.
    True, thats why they drop the recirculating-ball type steering years ago.

M
  • Hmmm, yes, I believe the ball was dropped in 2001 for the C Class (sorry, could not resist:)

rj
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,904
    lol Buck Rodgers stuff.

I know Mercedes had a lot of problems with the first run of '01 C Class (that seem to have been fixed), The COMMAND system on '00 & '01 S Class also had problems. I suspect that those early production (1st year) everything-by-wire C Class cars are going to have their share of gremlins.

Now while it is true that the Rack & Pinion setup provides for better road feel, don't discount the old recirculating ball. BMW still uses it in the current (soon to be replaced) E39 540i & M5 (to save space in the engine bay w/ the V8). I don't recall ever reading anything about the 540i or M5's "lack of road feel" :)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

True...it was Mercedes' tuning that lacked.

M
  • Hey all - Headed to the dealership at lunch today and see if they have a 320 coupe. I see a lot of you really like the 230, but not to many reviews on the 320. I have been looking at the Infinity G35 coupe, but have to order it. I would be driving a new 350Z if the kids were older - need more room.

I am concerned about the handling and power of the 320. I drive a Mazda Protege 5 now and it handles very nice. I run the 270 degree on/off ramps at 60 MPH. I don't want to give up this type of zippy handling. Also, compared to the G35 the MB power is down. I don't expect to hang with Z cars, but want a good showing. Comments from C320 owners?????

How is the after market for these. Such as big sway bars and engine upgrades. I am not a ricer (42 years old) but after years of autocrossing Datsun Roadsters I want a capable car.

Thanks for your time and keep enjoying your Benz.
  • mac320mac320 Posts: 147
    The C32 or maybe the new CLK sounds more like your car, but I can attest to the fact that the 320 engine is a fantastic engine in the C-class.

You probably know the 320 powered V6 MLs from '98 to the first few months of '03. That's nearly a 5K pound vehicle that tows 5K pounds. The C320 is about a thousand pounds lighter than an ML. The 320 engine powers MB's E-Class and even some S-Class models that are not sold in the US.

The C320 develops its peak torque at a low rpm and holds it over a long, flat plateau. It's a great mountain climber (doesn't need high revs or need to peck around for the right gear) and offers good engine-braking on the way down the mountain too.
  • normanjnormanj Posts: 10
    I own a 2003 C230 with 11,000 miles (been reliable so far). My wife is now looking for a new car (she can drive my car anytime, so she wants something different). To date we have test driven the new Acura TSX, Mazda 6, Saab 9-3 linear, and Audi A4, 1.8 quattro. She is leaning towards the Acura TSX . What is amazing is, after each test drive, we get back into my car, and it feels as good, and in most cases better than what we just test drove. We will be testing a used BMW 325, Lexus I300, Volvo S60, and BMW mini. I am curious to see how well the C230 stacks up to those.
  • meineautomeineauto Posts: 6
    Hi everyone,

I noticed many of you paid well below invoice on your '03 C230 coupe. I am surprised and envious! Where do you all live? I haven't had any luck with the dealers in the New England area. They are only willing to knock off $1K from the MSRP. I think that's horrible especially compared to what you all paid.

What is considered a good deal on this car? Does anyone know of a good dealer in NE?

Please, any suggestions & advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • jjpeterjjpeter Posts: 230
    We bought our C230 in August, 01. We were one of the first to order one in the US and we paid full MSRP + 900 for a figgin six disk CD changer. Talk about an emotional purchase... Good luck on getting a deal. There should be a surplus of units at dealers now, just have to settle for whats on hand. Ours was special ordered from the plant in Stutgard (sp?) and took six weeks to arrive. Love the car more every time I drive it. 8500 miles and purring like a kitten.
  • I love the car!!!!! Got the xenon lights & the 17 in wheel package. You can feel the v6-215hp. 0 to 60 in approximately 7 seconds. I traded in my 2001 BMW325i & 2002 c230 coupe for the 2003 C320. I have 4k on this car thus far, no problem & excellent mileage (400 miles on a full tank of gas).
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for your message. We look forward to hearing more about your C320 experience.... Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • I have been reading this board for awhile and recently decided to purchase a C230K (looked at Acura RSX, Infiniti G35 coupe). My car has the C2 package, auto trans, and CD changer, MSRP $28,610, paid $25,610. The car I wanted did not exist in the Chicago area, so the dealer had to locate the car elsewhere (in Southern Illinois). I should have the car early next week. My dealer had only 1 C230K in stock, and the other dealers in the Chicago area were not much better. Based on the short supply and the fact that the dealer had to trade for this one, I am happy with the deal.

I will continue to post questions/experiences after I receive my new Benz!
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    We look forward to hearing about your delivery experience! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • AlexWalexAlexWalex Posts: 8
    Just an update on my C230 after first 4K miles. Can't stop enjoying the car. It's been awesome. No mechanical or other problems. Gas mileage is excellent for highway driving, but a kind of lowish when driving in town. Now teaching my wife to drive a stick and she loves to drive my C230. But for the winter she wants AWD, so Audi A4 is her top pick.
    To address the pricing question, I also got a car under invoice price here in Connecticut. It seems that deals are even better now since on carsdirect.com you can get it for $2000 or more under invoice and I am sure at the dealer's you'd do even better.
    Anyway, will be happy to address specific questions if any...
  • I'm in the Washington, DC area. Does anyone have recommendations on a dealer to work with? Is HBL of Tysons good, or would ASC be better?

I test drove the C230 Coupe and fell in love with it. It beat all the other cars that I test drove -- the G35 Coupe (more horsepower but just plan loud and gawdy, not to mention dealers who are arrogant about having the Car of the Year), the Acura TSX (no power passenger's seat even optional and no memory seats), the Saab 9-3 (no complaints, but the car was soul-less), and a whole lot of others... The C230 coupe is also much better looking that the sedan.

I just want to make sure that I don't get taken. When you love something, you can do crazy things... I'm thinking about carsdirect.com, but I am willing to negotiate if I can get a better deal.

Any thoughts, group?
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    "When you love something, you can do crazy things" - how true!!

My 2 cents - if you have the time, get 2 other solid estimates in the area and make them beat the lowest.

- P.
  • Unfortunately, it really summarizes my approach to car shopping. If I am feeling like a might do something crazy, I bring my license and nothing else with me to a dealership. That way, all I can do is test drive. It's sad -- I know -- but that's me.

I definitely will get the estimates and price shop (with my wallet and checkbook at home!).

Also, I found out from one local dealer that the specs for the 2004 will be finalized soon. He expects that orders can be placed in about 3 weeks.
  • I had a great experience working with Knauz Motors in Lake Bluff, IL. They were fantastic people to deal with! So far, I love the car. I was surprised to learn from the salesman that I will not need an oil change until 10,000 miles. Every other car that I have owned recommended that the break-in oil be changed after 1000 miles and regular oil changes every 5,000 miles. Is this correct? Why is the Mercedes different from many others in this regard?
  • bribrie7bribrie7 Posts: 2
    Hi there. I have also been looking for a C320 and I've spoken to several dealers. I'd love to exchange info and I can give you the name of the guy I favor. Email me at bribrie7@yahoo.com ... I'm Sabrina!
  • fmkgbfmkgb Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Anyone who has the C320 COUPE with the V6 engine, automatic: please tell me what you think of the car: reliability, PROBLEMS, general impressions. C320 coupe has the body of the C230 but the more powerful V6 engine. My dealer is offering me a price too good to be true ($25000 cost on $32400 MSRP) and I'm wondering why? Have you found a lot of problems with the car? Owners/driver please give me your impressions. Thanks
  • cpa4ucpa4u Posts: 136
    I am considering the 230 sport sedan. The thing that I am concerned about is the 4 cylinder engine. I have never owned anything other than 6's or 8's. Are these engines noisy on acceleration or at highway speeds? Also, what is the reliability of the engine and transmission?

Will be test driving one, hopefully this coming weekend.

Thanks
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Posts: 40
    cpa4u, I purchased my coupe 3 months ago, and while I know you are looking at sedans, there is some info of value to you. The 4 cyl engine is amazing. It is smooth, powerful, and a lot of fun. The only people that bash it are the 20-year-olds who think that The Fast and the Furious is real life! If you need a nitrous-powered racer, this is not the car for you. If you want a car that's quick, responsive, smooth, and gorgeous, get the c-class. With regard to noise, it is unbelievably quiet. There are times I have found myself going 90+ and I could still whisper to my passenger with no problem in him hearing me. You might have guessed this already, but I LOVE MY COUPE!!!

Best of luck with your shopping.
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Posts: 40
    You feel exactly as I felt three months ago. My coupe (230) stickered at $29,995 and it was available at $23,995. ALL car manufacturers are hurting, don't let anyone kid you. There are incentives all over the place that allow the dealer to sell at this price.

The 320 is a great car and you are getting a good price. If you like it, and you feel you want the V6 over the SC4, GET IT! Make sure you test drive both first, though. You might find you like the 4 even more, and that gets better mileage. (0-60 times are only .6 second different with automatic, gas mileage is 23/32 vs. 19/25) I find it very hard to stay off of the accelerator, and yet I still get 20-22 when I am ENTIRELY in town, 27-28 on highway @ 77-83 MPH.

Best of luck with your purchase.
  • After a long period of searching and test driving, I now have my new 2003 C230 K Coupe. It is Magma Red and has the C1 and C5 packages plus auto transmission and CD changer. It stickered for just under $31,000 but I got it for $26,102.

Though I have put less than 40 miles on it, I love it. The acceleration is great. My last car was a 200 bhp V6, and the C230K's supercharged 4 is far superior. It is both quieter and smoother plus the torque really floors you! This is also my first RWD car, so I will reserve some judgment until winter arrives. (I live in Virginia, and the winters normally are mild.)

I will share my experieces (as I have them over the next few months) with the group. I would love to hear from other new owners, too. Especially if there are any problems.

For now, though, I am off to figure out the CD player, which is pretty complicated (to say the least)...
  • paul_ppaul_p Posts: 271
    Thanks for sharing your experience, Killer Bee. I agree such that my earlier '00 supercharged 4 has attribiutes that outweigh trading for any of the newer 200+ HP models of other vehicles.

Enjoy your new ride!! There's nothing like acquiring and driving a new Benz, as I've done it twice. Looking back over the 8 years, it's one of the best automotive decisions I've made.

Please keep up posted (no pun intended)...

- Paul
  • I figured out the CD functions this morning. The dealer told me that it was very intuitive. Yeah, right! But there is something to be said about it being hard to figure out.
This discussion has been closed.