Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• killer_beekiller_bee Member Posts: 5
    Unfortunately, it really summarizes my approach to car shopping. If I am feeling like a might do something crazy, I bring my license and nothing else with me to a dealership. That way, all I can do is test drive. It's sad -- I know -- but that's me.

I definitely will get the estimates and price shop (with my wallet and checkbook at home!).

Also, I found out from one local dealer that the specs for the 2004 will be finalized soon. He expects that orders can be placed in about 3 weeks.
  • chitowntimchitowntim Member Posts: 7
    I had a great experience working with Knauz Motors in Lake Bluff, IL. They were fantastic people to deal with! So far, I love the car. I was surprised to learn from the salesman that I will not need an oil change until 10,000 miles. Every other car that I have owned recommended that the break-in oil be changed after 1000 miles and regular oil changes every 5,000 miles. Is this correct? Why is the Mercedes different from many others in this regard?
  • bribrie7bribrie7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. I have also been looking for a C320 and I've spoken to several dealers. I'd love to exchange info and I can give you the name of the guy I favor. Email me at bribrie7@yahoo.com ... I'm Sabrina!
  • fmkgbfmkgb Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Anyone who has the C320 COUPE with the V6 engine, automatic: please tell me what you think of the car: reliability, PROBLEMS, general impressions. C320 coupe has the body of the C230 but the more powerful V6 engine. My dealer is offering me a price too good to be true ($25000 cost on $32400 MSRP) and I'm wondering why? Have you found a lot of problems with the car? Owners/driver please give me your impressions. Thanks
  • cpa4ucpa4u Member Posts: 136
    I am considering the 230 sport sedan. The thing that I am concerned about is the 4 cylinder engine. I have never owned anything other than 6's or 8's. Are these engines noisy on acceleration or at highway speeds? Also, what is the reliability of the engine and transmission?

Will be test driving one, hopefully this coming weekend.

Thanks
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    cpa4u, I purchased my coupe 3 months ago, and while I know you are looking at sedans, there is some info of value to you. The 4 cyl engine is amazing. It is smooth, powerful, and a lot of fun. The only people that bash it are the 20-year-olds who think that The Fast and the Furious is real life! If you need a nitrous-powered racer, this is not the car for you. If you want a car that's quick, responsive, smooth, and gorgeous, get the c-class. With regard to noise, it is unbelievably quiet. There are times I have found myself going 90+ and I could still whisper to my passenger with no problem in him hearing me. You might have guessed this already, but I LOVE MY COUPE!!!

Best of luck with your shopping.
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    You feel exactly as I felt three months ago. My coupe (230) stickered at $29,995 and it was available at $23,995. ALL car manufacturers are hurting, don't let anyone kid you. There are incentives all over the place that allow the dealer to sell at this price.

The 320 is a great car and you are getting a good price. If you like it, and you feel you want the V6 over the SC4, GET IT! Make sure you test drive both first, though. You might find you like the 4 even more, and that gets better mileage. (0-60 times are only .6 second different with automatic, gas mileage is 23/32 vs. 19/25) I find it very hard to stay off of the accelerator, and yet I still get 20-22 when I am ENTIRELY in town, 27-28 on highway @ 77-83 MPH.

Best of luck with your purchase.
    After a long period of searching and test driving, I now have my new 2003 C230 K Coupe. It is Magma Red and has the C1 and C5 packages plus auto transmission and CD changer. It stickered for just under $31,000 but I got it for $26,102.

Though I have put less than 40 miles on it, I love it. The acceleration is great. My last car was a 200 bhp V6, and the C230K's supercharged 4 is far superior. It is both quieter and smoother plus the torque really floors you! This is also my first RWD car, so I will reserve some judgment until winter arrives. (I live in Virginia, and the winters normally are mild.)

I will share my experieces (as I have them over the next few months) with the group. I would love to hear from other new owners, too. Especially if there are any problems.

For now, though, I am off to figure out the CD player, which is pretty complicated (to say the least)...
  • paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Thanks for sharing your experience, Killer Bee. I agree such that my earlier '00 supercharged 4 has attribiutes that outweigh trading for any of the newer 200+ HP models of other vehicles.

Enjoy your new ride!! There's nothing like acquiring and driving a new Benz, as I've done it twice. Looking back over the 8 years, it's one of the best automotive decisions I've made.

Please keep up posted (no pun intended)...

- Paul
    I figured out the CD functions this morning. The dealer told me that it was very intuitive. Yeah, right! But there is something to be said about it being hard to figure out.
  • 325iorc230325iorc230 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 C230 sport sedan for $31,500 yesterday. The MSRP is 32,790. This car has C2 package, silver, muti-disks CD changer and automatic. Is this a good price? The service was great even though I had to come back the second time because he didn't give me the price I asked. He called me back the next day. It's RBM of Atlanta and sales agent is Rich Alder.
    Sounds like you got a good deal, especially since it is a 2004!
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and on your new C230's! We appreciate hearing all the details, and look forward to hearing more.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • daqmandaqman Member Posts: 27
    Buddy of mine just picked it up two weeks ago . N.Va dealership.

Brilliant Silver/Blk Leather interior
    Sunroof,auto,6disc changer, heated seats, auto headlamps,rainsensing wipers.

Very sweet car, love the new wheels. He was shopping 3series bmw,G35, Acura 3.2, I turned him onto C-Class, and he was sold. We were looking at the C240, but when he saw the C230 he was hooked(the blue tinted windows and the wheels).
  • rockribbed1rockribbed1 Member Posts: 9
    Congrats to all you new owners of a fine car. I have a very early 2002 Coupe that just turned 2 years as my prime driver (have a SAAB, Suburban, '74 450SL, and a 84 Ford P/U). The car has been a pleasure - quick, sporty, and economical.

One dark cloud is sitting on your horizon, though that you should be aware of. I'm not talking about the various and sundry electrical grimlins/sun roof type. Plan on buying a set of tires in a couple of years. Just replaced the Michelins (MXV's) today at 19.5K miles. Also pay particular attention to the inside of the rear tires - the belts were showing on one of mine!

Not a major problem, just expected the Michelins to last a little longer. My tire man said the inside wear on the rear tires is typical for M/B's. It not obvious and can seek up on you if you don't watch for it. Start looking at about 15K.
  • bobeberhardtbobeberhardt Member Posts: 39
    On ANY rear wheel drive car, the rear tires wear faster in the center than the outside edges. On the front tires, wear is faster on the outside edges than in the center.

If you rotate the tires, as recommended, you will extend the tire life.
    bob
    I understand the NORMAL tire wear for both front and rear wheel drivers. The wear I experienced was NOT normal and difficult to detect being on the inside of the rear wheel, just letting the newbies know to be aware of the possibility and to check on it.
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    Our '02 came with Contis and I'd be surprised to not get 40K or more miles on them. There's nearly 26K on them now and the wear is even with lots of tread still left on them.
  • bobeberhardtbobeberhardt Member Posts: 39
    My wife owns a 2003 C230K Coupe with the Michelin MXV4 tires with an H speed rating. Based upon the tread wear rating on these tires I would expect a tire life of approx. 40,000 miles. If your tires were V speed rated, I could see a life of 20,000 miles since that is about all you can expect out of a V rated tire. Were your tires V speed rated? If not, did you properly maintain the tire pressure? Did you drive the car hard? I do not understand why you only were able to get 20,000 miles out of these tires? I have had this tire on other vehicles and was always able to get 40,000 miles out of them.
  • superman5superman5 Member Posts: 154
    why does mb call 230/320 "coupe" ? isn't it a HATCHBACK?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    I've noticed many manufacturers avoid using the term "hatchback." They'll refer to is as a 3 door coupe, or a liftback. In this case, coupe is a just subset of hatchback. My 2 cents. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • bribrie7bribrie7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. I bought my new baby two Saturdays ago! Yeah! Brilliant Silver with Ash Interior. I love the car!

BUT ... when I listen to the radio, specifically when I have it in "Ambiance" mode, it sounds to me like the tone in the sound fluctuates, some of the speakers come in and out, and perhaps the station comes in and out of stereo mode. It's very disconcerting, and I've had it to the dealership twice already. They continue to tell me it's been fixed, and today they installed a whole new system, but STILL I hear the fluctuations in the sound (as do my friends) and it's driving me NUTSO!

My question ... should anyone else be familiar ... is whether or not this is a trait of that ambiance feature and I should just ignore it (despite not listening to it in that mode due to mind-boggling craziness).

Has anyone else noticed this odd behavior in their stereo system? I don't seem to notice it in CDs, only the FM stations. And until I can figure out exactly what causes it, or how to stop it, I'm going to continue to go whacky!!

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

~ Sabrina
  • sumolbsumolb Member Posts: 1
    how low is the new 2004 c class sedan compare to the 2003 and does it come with bi xenon headlights as a standard option???
  • jkurkjianjkurkjian Member Posts: 4
    All I can say is the manual is the poorest piece of literature I've ever seen. The "quick tips" is somewhat better. I'v had the car for two days. So far I'm enjoying it and comes up to my expectations. I opted for the extended warranty to 7 years. My last Mercedes was an '89 300CE. Mechanically no problems. Electronics all seemed to fail after 6 years.
    Took car in on friday because I had burning smell, they kept it all day and the weekend, as a loaner they gave the choice(from enterprise on-site)between a cavilier! or an s10 pickup! they also had an X-type jag for $10 a day. I took the jag. I thought it strange that I could drive in in a Benz and leave w/a Cavilier?
  • mbformembforme Member Posts: 10
    Got my new 2004 C230 Sedan this weekend. Aut. Transmission, Sunroof Package, COMMAND, CD changer. I'm loving the navigation system, it's money very well spent. Got is $1000 over invoice.
  • smallcogsmallcog Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend bought a pewter 2004 C230 sedan with automatic and the sport package last month. I've driven it quite a bit (a bit more than she has, since she prefers I drive when we're together), and it's a lovely car, but I wouldn't buy one for myself: it thinks a little too much!
    1. The rain-sensing wipers were fun at first. I don't mind that they sometimes click on for no apparent reason, but when it really begins to pour I can't wait the extra few seconds as the car figures out that this requires full power.
    2. Every time I make a sudden stop at speed (for example, when the car ahead of me on the highway slows unexpectedly) the car adds more braking. The brakes are already powerful enough - now I get the emergency stop I didn't request. What if I only wanted to brake half-way?
    3. It also brake-assists and uses engine braking (downshift) for regular traffic stops. I find that the fact that it downshifts to first or second every time makes for jerky starts in traffic. Most other automatics I've driven don't try to act like manuals. That's why people buy automatics!
    4. It tries to guess what I mean every time I hit the gas, so after several weeks of driving the car still surprises me with it's gear-shifting sequences. Things got really wierd when I accidentally put it in "C" mode ("C" stands for comfort. It was formerly "W" for winter) for a couple of days. Then you'd press the accelerator and it it pretty much say "dude, I don't want to go anywhere right now, can't I just sit here and think for a while?" In those two confusing days as I considered calling Mercedes service I made a lot of use of the D+/- mode shifting for sanity's sake.

The other stuff (automatic door locks, lighting schemes, etc.) I have some control over, and I can forgive the "auto" climate control for going overboard sometimes, but between me, my girlfriend, and the damn car (OK, they're both beautiful, but just a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] sometimes), there's a lot of learning going on. What happened to the simpler good old days? Am I the only one who thinks this car is too smart for itself?
    Perhaps I'm used to my stick shift Subaru, but this is kind of ridiculous! There's a lot of good stuff - the engine is quick, the car is sporty and stiff, and simply looks good, but I sometimes feel more like I'm on a bucking bronco than I'm in tune with this ride. Am I the only one?
    Smallcog,

I find your comments interesting. I have a 2000 model and was unable to get the auto-sensing wipers, but after your post feel glad I did not get that option. Also on the C230, auto climate control was not available - the fan speed and direction have to be set manually. Back then I found this to be a disappointment, but again after reading your post I am now glad it is manually controlled on the 2000 C-Class.

These cars are unique with their own personalities. I think it's a matter of finding something you like and can live with, and am glad to hear you're going with something else, as the C may not be what you're looking for. Best of luck in your search.
    smartypants, the "C" stands for "Cold" (not "Comfort"), it will start in second gear, explaining the behaviour you experienced. I'm do a lot of highway driving with sudden stops, have not experience the brake-assist kicking in.

(2004 C230 Sport Sedan automatic)
    regarding the earlier assorted comments:

I now have the auto sensing wipers on a new ML and I think is a nice option over the simpler option that was on our older ML. It was smarter than I would have guessed during a drive through the desert in the last week of July in a wierd monsoon-type weather situation. I do not, however, leave the wiper in automatic setting all the time--I just use it if it's raining.

On none of our cars, from either ML or our C320, does the brake assist become an obtrusive safety feature: all "luxury" class autos must have this as well as many othe features to compete in this class of car so it is not a feature that is unique to MB.

And, ditto above abour correcting the info about the "C" option . . . on our '02 "C" is the "W" or "Winter" option that, when selected, causes the car to start off in 2nd instead of 1st to reduce the torque to the rear wheels in wet and slippery situations. I always know when it has accidently been acctuated--such as by a detailer--but my wife can never tell the difference between it and the "S" or "Standard" setting so it really is not a big deal and obviously is completely under the control of the driver.
    Bob: I'm sure that if my wife drove my car I would get better mileage out of my tires. Yes, I do drive very hard (I live in a rural area with nice curvy two lane roads on which I exercise the car's cornering ability. I haven't found the limit yet and probably won't.) Also, because I drive hard I keep a close eye on my tire pressure and usually keep it 3-5 lbs above the recommended level.

As far as the "Coupe" designation: Americans are not as fond of hatchbacks as are the Europeans. The name "hatchback" has been a dead end (see BMW's attempt a few years ago) and seems to designate a cheap little econobox, not exactly the company M/B wanted its new car to be associated.
  • hard_nuthard_nut Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I am new to this chat board. I was wondering if mbforme or somebody else who just bought the C230K sedan near invoice price could give me the dealership names.

I have been calling dealerships around my area and the best price after adding options like CD changer and auto transmission is 31,400.00 + taxes. Is this is a good price or should I look around further?
    I just bought a 2004 C230 Sport Sedan and got it about $1000 over invoice (Stevens Creek MB, San Francisco Bay Area). You should be able to get a 2003 for $500 *below* invoice. I think in San Jose you can get a good deal, since there recently opened another MB dealer (Bahnhoff) I guy from Bahnhoff was not really helpfull and I like the people from Stevens Creek MB. Ask for Karin Sheenan (works only Tuesday and Wednesdays), she is very friendly and should be able to give you a good deal.
    What about the dealer on the east side of the 101 between Palo Alto and SFO (Mountain View?)? I live on the east coast but was always wondering how they were, as I travel out there on business from time to time.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    You're speaking of Autobahn, known to me for most of the past 30 years as Autohaus Brugger - the name on the franchise when it was in Redwood City.

These guys are competent enough, and the salesman I have been dealing with for 4 transactions since 1976 still works there [Franz Krieg], but they have never been the place to find a rock-bottom deal. Lowest prices seem to be in San Jose [see above] and, of course, any place in Southern California, where the presence of real competition results in the most price-sensitive market for these kinds of cars anywhere in the world.
  • ultra63ultra63 Member Posts: 3
    in our paper for auto,sunroof, 6 disc cd. is this a good price?
    HELL YEAH! Thats a great price, does it have cloth seats?
    Great price, unless its that baby-poop green!
  • chrisy128chrisy128 Member Posts: 4
    did you get the sedan? If so, it's a great price.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    come down to the final decision... I have to decide by the end of this week(saterday) on which car I'm gonna get... the G35 or a 4D C230 sedan.... any last comments?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat -- Our topic tonight is "Warranties: Are they worth it?"

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jburleigjburleig Member Posts: 16
    Hello everyone. I own a 97 C230 and am now considering a new one. I was hoping to get some feedback from current owners of the C230K Sport Sedan with respect to two items:

1) Now that you've driven the car, please tell me candidly how you feel about the ride. My concern is whether or not you find it harsh over uneven pavement, given the sport suspension and low profile tires. My wife once had a Lexus IS 300 with the same set-up and it was definitely a rough ride on uneven surfaces. You can only tell so much in a test drive, so I would appreciate your more experienced opinions.

2) What would be the recommended approach on this car for winter time driving? I would assume the standard sport tires are not going to do well. I imagine some of you switch to snow tires in winter, or maybe have gone to all season tires full time to avoid the hassle.

Thank you.
  • jredcoat1jredcoat1 Member Posts: 1
    Help -

I have been given a budget from my company to get a car. I wanted to get the c230 kompressor with manual transmission - but live in MA and the management think a rear wheel drive car in Boston is going to get stuck - I cant take "advice" from a mercedes dealer - so please help me out - Im sure the M class is nice but the kompressor is what I like!!

please advise...
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    I have had my MB for 3 years now and have not had a problem in the NY winters. The combination of traction control and a good set of tires made things very bearable in the worst conditions.

I would say the only thing you would not want are the 17 inch rims with sport tires - other than that you should be good to go. If you needed additional "insurance" a set of dedicated snows on cheap winter rims would be wise.

JR
  • normanjnormanj Member Posts: 10
    Ihave a C230 Kompressor and just went through a terrible winter in Connecticut (in terms of snow). My car has the 17" sports wheels, but I purchased 16" rims and snow tires. The car handled the snow as well as a front wheel drive car with all seasons. It won't be as good as an M class, but what 2 wheel drive car will be? I was out in some pretty bad snow and never came close to getting stuck.
    I had my 2004 C240 Sport Sedan for a little over a month now and got about 2000 miles on it. Sofar I'm very happy with it. The ride is more smooth than my wifes 2002 BMW 325Xi. I wisth MB made their sport suspension a little more sporty. The negative I have is the automatic transmission, but this is probably since I'm used to a stick shift. The transmission is not very responsive to sudden changes. I don't use the tiptronic, a delay of 1 seconds for the actual gear change renders this option useless.

2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Pewter, Auto Transmission, COMMAND, Sunroof Pkg and CD changer.
  • foggy2foggy2 Member Posts: 1
    My last new car, a mini cooper, bought in 11/03, turned out to be a lemon. I'm ready for speed, comfort ,and dependability. I need flex passenger seating, so the C320 is interesting. But, the negative posting and feed back I get regarding the C-Class and MB in general is making me uncertain. Plus, I don't want to spend a hundred of dollars on parts and repairs when the time comes. Anybody having a great experience with this C320/MB?
  • ciracira Member Posts: 37
    Do 16" snow tires and wheels work on the 17" sports sedan stock setup?
  • ppbskisppbskis Member Posts: 1
    Hi people,
              Since I am going to be a mb driver I figured I should check out the message board for this car, Boy was I surprised at the amount of chatter on these cars. This car is going to be my wifes daily driver since she " totally totalled her VR6 Jetta last week. I had never considered safety a high priority untill this almost death inducing accident occured. I was really impressed with MB's airbag design and naturally being 40 + I am more than familiar with MB quality. I hope it's all true, the hype that is. As for pricing I'm fairly sure I did well the car is Black Opal,heated seats,sunroof, cd, I dont know what else, but it listed for 36k and my cost is 33k, it's a lease deal that comes out to 1200 down and 470/mo. for 39 mo. I hope to report my wifes happiness with this car in the near future.
    Bye
    Joe
    No problems. You'd have a better perspective if you'd followed the board since mid '02, like I have when we got our C320. I haven't read many gripes about this car and if we were replacing it, we'd have to purchase an '04 with the same options, plus now I'd take advantage of the Xenon option. The wife loves the "C," wouldn't want a larger car like an E320, and in '02, the only other C-sedan was the C240 which doesn't get any better mileage, even though it doesn't have near the power. You probably will like the C320 too: it drives like a sports car. You really do not need tires that are any lower in profile than stock: it already is a stiff driver. And, the room in the back seat is a lot bigger than you might think.
This discussion has been closed.