Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

1252627282931»

Comments

• reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    You may also want to post in the Extended Warranties discussion as this particular thread has not had a high level of activity recently. You should be able to get there with this link:

Extended Warranties

Best of luck!
  • madc230madc230 Member Posts: 1
    does anybody from around chicago knows where i can get an after market stereo installed in my 2002 C230K. the manufacture stereo is killing me...
  • c_coupec_coupe Member Posts: 3
    They still list 2006 C coupe in Mercedes Benz Canada offical website, but I've been to the dealer and can not place an order on the 2006 C coupe, all you have is very few 2005 stock.
    I have my C230K coupe for 3 years and the problems have never stopped, one after the other. May be I'm just not lucky!

First was the on-board computer suddenly shut-off after a stop in front of the red light, took it back but the MB dealer couldn't diagnose the problem, told me it's been fixed, happened again. After several attempt. They found out it's the fuel pump sensor that's not enough fuel(half tank), change the fuel pump.

Then it's the ESP, always beeping(failure), took it back. Diagnosed for software update. Ok afterwards.

Then it's the battery alternator, suddendly stop working oneday morning when I have to go to work. Nice!! I had to call Road Side and tow the car out of my own garage. MB could not diagnose the problem, just replaced a new battery alternator and gave me a detail report saying that the voltage in my car is higher than normal, but why? no answer!!

Recently, the front disc brakes are squeaking like hell, took it back to MB, told me not to replce them now because there's still a bit left on the fronts. disc brakes came with package of 4. almost $800!! not covered by warranty!!

I'm a very slow and patient driver, handling the car and engine really well, but still....All the problems I mentioned above was extra besides regular maintaince which they called service A and service B. I never missed 1 service day but the car has way too many problems that anyone can handle. I admit that it's a very good looking car but you have to take the risk that the Kompressor starts to deteriorate after 4 years like mine, getting slower and slower to kick in when you need it!!
    I have the same problem as you do, the lug nut gets rusted after around 2 years, I've been driving it for 3 years now but the outlook is not really a matter to me. What fursturates me is the actual physical problems like fuel pump failure which lead to engine shut-off, ESP failure, light bulb always goes out, battery alternator stop working one morning, brake disc squeaking like hell. You name it, I had it!! I'm glad they stop selling C230K coupe for 2006, great!!

My other 2003 Toyota Highlander never had a problem since we bought it, same time as the C230K coupe already went back to the dealer for 11 times for total of more than 1 month of service time!! Every failure took more than a week to diagnose and fix!!
  • vulcan4dvulcan4d Member Posts: 1
    Friend of mine got an 03 C230K. I took it for a spin and I must say I fell in love with this car. So now of course I want one ;).

I can't decide between the 2002 or 2003 models. They seem identical except the 02 has a 2.3L engine while the 03 has a 1.8L. From what I gather in the end there isn't much of a difference but I was concerned about one person saying that the 2.3L version is much more louder. Is it only on a cold start or overall compared to the 1.8L? The 1.8L my friend has is really loud on a cold start but then it gets nice and quiet.

Well anyway I can't decide between the two year models. I can save quite a few K going with a 02 but I'm worried about the engine. There must have been some obvious reason why Mercedes changed the engine.

This will be my 3rd car by now and I must say I'm awaiting it with great anticipation.
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    My friend has an 02 C230 coupe with the 2.3 liter engine and my family has the 05 C230 sedan with the 1.8 liter engine. I have had the opportunity to drive my friend's C230 and while it feels a bit faster than my C230 the engine sounds alot worse. The 2.3 liter engines sound worse at all times whether it's cold or warm. The 1.8 liter is alot more refined and worthy of being in a Mercedes. However I wouldn't let the sound of the engine stop me from buying the 2.3 liter because the sound isn't that bad from the inside and it moves the car quickly.

As for the reason that Mercedes dropped the 2.3 liter, I'm guessing it's partly because of that engine's noise. I'm not sure of any common problems that engine may have. My friend's 02 C230k is nearing 40,000 miles and she hasn't had any problems with it. At least not with the engine.
  • alexwalex1alexwalex1 Member Posts: 33
    I've had 2003 C230 coupe for 3 years and except for one ESP failure requiring computer block replacement under warranty, the car has been a joy to drive and it has not been a trouble. Even after driving a new C230 with V6 engine, I am still pretty convinced that 1.8 supercharged engine is great and more powerful than a small V6.
  • mercb230coupemercb230coupe Member Posts: 7
    Hi Board. I bought one of the first 02 coupes on the market, ordering it from the factory 6 months prior to my july 02 delivery. About the change in engines in this car. MB changed the engine option in the class for various reasons. One was a need to get better fleet gas mileage. The other, was the knowledge that they were going to make the larger 3.2 6 cyl available in the coupe. If they were going to offer the v6 in the coupe they had to have more "performance distance" between the two engines. That was only achieved by "downgrading" the coupe's base engine to a 1.8, because the 2.3 was/is a powerful engine. Hey...it was good enough as the base engine of the 02 and 03 convertible which cost $12K more than the coupe! (Can anyone tell me of other examples of a company lowering the size of it's base engine by 20%, other than during the 70's when we were dealing with the gas crisis AND the conversion to unleaded gas.) I have driven the c coupe with all engine choices; including the 3.2. Having done that, I am a firm believer that the 2.3 outperforms the 1.8 in every category, except gas mileage and noise; but the noise is "tolerable". (I am not saying the 1.8 is bad, but I would NEVER choose it in the long term over the 2.3.) The 2.3 engine in the 02 was MB latest evolution on that block and is likely to be reliable for a long time period. Plus, there are not a lot of the 02's out there; especially with leather as I have. Over the coming years depreciation on an 02 will be less than other years of the coupe due to its very limited availability. Remember, people laughed at the BMW 318i hatchback. The market for the 318 hatch is quite limited and it has held it's value VERY well! That should prove true for the coupe; especially the 02 if you get one with leather. Lastly, yes I have had some problems with my 02; nothing major, but more problems that there should have been. MB bought bulbs from a crappy subcontractor so they burn out too fast. Rusty lugnuts - spent a little money and replaced them. I also had problems with my fuel gauge and that needed to be replaced. I still have a squeak/rattle at times with my sunroof. I had to have front suspension parts replaced after 6,000 miles which is unbelievable. (under warranty) But, my thought is, I will keep my 02 for a while, perhaps another 10 years or so as I take care and garage all of my cars and will only drive it about 4 to 5 thousand miles a year. The 02 has a admirable balance of performance and near-luxury with the premium leather and the bose option. My two cents.
  • mercb230coupemercb230coupe Member Posts: 7
    Oh, correction, that was a July 01 delivery. One added note, I have the Pirelli P Zero Nero all seasons on the car and they work much better than the original Micheys.
  • missi7missi7 Member Posts: 1
    I am having problems with the sunroof on my C230 Coupe. I was wondering if anyone had a breakdown on it so I can take a look at it myself. I like doing my own maintainence
  • beepajbeepaj Member Posts: 2
    Would like to talk to someone who has experience with this vehicle. My wife & I are considering purchasing an '03 w/9k (yes, 9,000) miles on it. Had a 99 E-class & loved it. Like an idiot I traded for a 2005 Lexus ES330. Nice car --- no soul.
    Anyone with info or experience would be gratefully appreciated.
  • rdf63rdf63 Member Posts: 4
    I bought new tires over the weekend and was told by a tire store that the lugs are too rusted to be removed. Because of this, I do not have new tires on the front two tires of my C230. Does anybody have any advice on how to remove a couple of rusted lugs that would allow me to change tires. FYI - I have tried to all some grease but that hasn't worked yet. The rusted lugs seems to be a problem a lot of people are having?

Thanks

Rich
  • mastarialemastariale Member Posts: 1
    oK THIS IS THE PROBLEM IM DRIVING FOR ABOUT 10 15 MINS AND THE CAR JUST SHUTS OFF IT WONT LET ME STRAT IN IT JUST CRANKS OVER AS IF THERE ISNT ANY GAS GETTING TO THE ENGINE BUT IF I WAIT ABOUT 15 MIN IT STARTS RIGHT UP AND LET ME DRIVE REPEATING THIS SAME PROCESS OVER AND OVER BUT THERE INS'T A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON? IT SEEM AS IF SOMETHING IS GETTING HOT AND SHUT THE CAR OF TO COOL DOWN THEN LETS ME DRIVE IT AGAIN. SO FAR I HAVE WASTE $120 ON NOTHING DOES ANYONE NO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS. i NEED HELP FAST I REALLY DONT WANT TO TAKE TO DEALER. THANKS IN ADVANCE
  • jsortojsorto Member Posts: 2
    Same problem here!2000 CLK 320 does anyone know what the problem could be? THE PROBLEM IM DRIVING FOR ABOUT 10 15 MINS AND THE CAR JUST SHUTS OFF IT WONT LET ME STRAT IN IT JUST CRANKS OVER AS IF THERE ISNT ANY GAS GETTING TO THE ENGINE BUT IF I WAIT ABOUT 15 MIN IT STARTS RIGHT UP AND LET ME DRIVE REPEATING THIS SAME PROCESS OVER AND OVER BUT THERE INS'T A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON
  • carlover3carlover3 Member Posts: 29
    Hi al, I have a clk320 year-2000, the car has been running great, and now has 39k miles on it, and the factory warranty expires. I have a couple questions please advise with any related info you might have:

1. reliability: do i worry about this car's reliability as its mileage going up ? I plan to keep this car for at least another 4 years (or upto 100k miles). Anyone has experience with the reliability history of this model year 2000 ? please share.

2. extended warranty: if reliability is a known issue and for peace of mind, my back-up plan is to get extended warranty covering another 4 years ( or 48k miles more ). I asked around a couple local SanJose/CA Mercedes Benz dealerships for a quote of an extended warranty
    ( good for 4 years or 48k future miles, not quite
    equivalent to factory bumper-to-bumper coverage ) and the quote given around $3100. Is this a consistent/similar quote ($3100) with others who had purchased it before. And this quote is not for a MB factory warranty, it's for some after-market warranty underwriter, and the dealers happen to resell it. Or if you know of any reputable extended warranty seller/underwriter please share with me.
    Thanks much in advance!
    car lover-
    clk320, Toyota FJ cruiser, Miata
  • tsm1tsm1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I also have all the same symptoms so can you advise did you get any answers????? As I also have the same problem. I have put the car into a main dealer for a Diagnostic they thought it was the Fuel relay but they still have it 3 days now and still can't find the problem . Please hope you have a answer or

CAN SOME PLEASE HELP!!!
  • jsortojsorto Member Posts: 2
    Crank Position Sensor was the problem.
  • rolandthrustrolandthrust Member Posts: 14
    this car is impossible to keep in proper tire function A) can`t rotate tires B) sport tires are of very soft rubber C ) amg rims easily bend....presently 3 out of 4 rims slightly bent..can these be fixed without having to replace(very expensive). would appreciate any help B
  • poonamspoonams Member Posts: 3
    CLK 2004 320 COUPE 2D, SIR, DO YOU ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR EXTENDED WARRANTY ON THIS VEHICLE ??
  • oahzoahz Member Posts: 2
    I read your problem with interest. To say that I am astonished would be an understatement. You see, I bought a 450SE in 1972 that came with the same problem. That's not a mistake. The year was 1972. I have not bought a Mercedes since then. I am thinking about the new CL, but I thought I better check their customer satisfaction pages. I am astonished that MB still has the same problem 30 some years later. When the problem of my 450SE started, I brought the car back to the dealer in Northern NJ. The service manager was a competent and nice German. He couldn't find the problem. Finally, we decided to leave the car with him, and let him use it. A few days later, he called and said that the problem happened to him. The bad news was that he still didn't know what caused it. But he suspected a few parts and suggested the following: He would change a part, and I would take the car back. If it happened again, I would bring the car back for him to remove the replaced part and put in another suspected part. Within one month's time I went back to him 3 times. It once stalled in Manhattan's Fifth Avenue and 48th St. It got too hectic, the car was consuming me. So I place an ad in the Times. Someone from Kansas called. I told him the full story, but he said he knew someone who knows the problem. The man flew to NY, I picked him up at the airport. He gave me a certified check and we went separate ways. I never found out the real problem. Reading about your problem changes my mind about another MB. Thanks. I think I will consider an XJ8.
  • rayg20rayg20 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know what size wiper blade fits a 1991 300CE? When we bought it (used), it came with a 24 inch long wiper which is too long. I ordered a 23 inch one and it is also too long.

Can anyone give me a suggestion?

Thanks
  • jmcnamarjmcnamar Member Posts: 2
    Some highway, mostly in city, Marietta, GA.
  • trellsworthtrellsworth Member Posts: 24
    I purchased my 2000 C230K 4dr sedan (silver metallic ext/blk inter) used in Nov. 2003 with 85,000 mi. on it. for $13,000
    Today it has 136,000 mi runs great. Love the car. Have thought about trading it in but cant seem to part with it. People always give me compliments on the car.
    Only had a few maintenace repairs.
    Purchased the used 2000 C230K in 2003 (following is maintenance done)
    2005: 4 new tires
    2006: new battery: 110,000
    new brake shoes & pads
    motor belts replaced
    2006: gas gauge sensor replaced 115,000 mi
    2008: windshield wiper relay and combo switch replaced : 128,000 mi
    2008: Front flex disc replaced : 131,000 mi

I keep the oil changed and tires rotated/balanced at required times. Have other fluids/filters changed at required time intervals stated in manual.
    Car has always started up on first turn. Never had any engine problems. I get approx 25 mi city/28 mi hwy currently.
    I am typical driver, drive alot in city back and forth to work. Then travel hwy 6 times yr between kansas city Mo and St. Louis Mo.
    For a soon to be 9 yr old car runs very smooth and engine reliable.
    Last maintenance check the mechanic said lower control arm bushings are starting to look warn. Probably typical with the number of miles on the car. So, those may need to be changed in near future.
    I love the way the car handles and am happy with reliability.
    I dont know if this is typical repairs for MB but I am happy with such few repairs.

Seats for this yr and model a little hard/could use more padding but they are heated seats so maybe that is why.

Overall very happy with car and will give update when hit 150,000 miles :)
  • ferozferoz Member Posts: 14
    Hi all: Im seriously thinking about buying a 2002 CL230. The car is in very good shape and with only 30,000 miles. However I´m concerned with reliability of the engine / Kompressor and the car in general. Please share your experience with me,

Thanks!
  • CLK320FanCLK320Fan Member Posts: 1
    Can use some advice here: the 6-Disc cartridge got stuck inside the CD changer of my CLK 2000 Cab. Anyone had this problem? How can I get it ejected? Thanks in advance....
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Try entering your question in the "Ask the Community" box on the right side of this page. It's a great way to get a quick answer to a quick question.

Need help getting around? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• mylesrmylesr Member Posts: 9
    I am 2nd owner of this vehucle w/35K miles on it. have had malfunction on both lower beam headlights since I bought it in 8/08. replaced both bulbs ($130 each) and problem still occurs (most often right lower beam). dealer says there was a service bulletin changing the wireing (completed before my ownership) but it should not have been performed for my VIN. the wire spring clips that hold the bulbs in place were removed and MB parts will not sell them to me seperately...say I must buy entire headlight assemblies. trying to locate these clips from salvge but no luck so far.
  • chewy2chewy2 Member Posts: 19
    There is a lot on this forum about CLK320s. Has anyone owned a CLK500 they would care to comment on? I might buy a 2005 500 with 37k mi. Price = $21k. Thanks for any information!
  • smshep85smshep85 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 CLK 500 Convertible with 22,000 miles on it. Have only gotten service A at 8,000 miles and just got service B done at 22,100 today. Didn't go to the dealer as they wanted 595 for the B service, and an independent shop charged me $270. The MB dealership said that because my car was 5 years old, I also would need some fluid changes including:

Brake fluid
    Power Steering Fluid
    Transmission fluid
    coolant flush
    Spark plugs
    some carbon filter for the A/C
    and perhaps differential fluids.

Independent shop said brake fluid based on time, coolant based on time, and PS fluid maybe.

My question is Do I really need all these fluid changes if the car is used as a summer vehicle and only has 22,000 miles on it?

Thanks for the help. :)
  • jeanninemrjeanninemr Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 clk500 aprx one year ago love it - no problems at all! It had 47000 paid 23k. Love it!
    I have never heard of all those fluids & filters needing to be changed after 22k miles. I guess you trust the independent shop, so I would go with them. Certainly change the coolant and the A/C filter. Look in the owner's manual for spark plug replacement. I would think it is time to replace the plugs, but some auto manufacturers have increased the schedule for the first spark plug change to as much as 100,000 miles. For example, 100k is the scheduled first plug replacement for a 2006 BMW I'm looking at.

As for brake fluid, I do not know what is going on now. Going way back - I started driving in 1963 - brake fluid would absorb water and corrode brake parts from the inside, causing leaks and eventual brake failure if not repaired quickly. Now, I've been told this is not the case with modern brake fluid. It does not absorb water, so corrosion is rarely seen. This is from my neighbor across the street who has his own Mercedes shop. Hope all this helps.
    Glad you like the car so much and that you got a good price on it. The one I was looking at seemed like a good deal. So good, in fact, it was sold a couple of days after I posted my inquiry. Thanks anyway, I may see another one.
  • dc8333dc8333 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my clk convertible for 2 years now and I am begging someone to tell me how to reset the emergency roll cage that continually pops up behind the rear head rests every time I hit a bump in the road! I don't want to have to go to the dealer!
  • dc8333dc8333 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 clk55 amg convertible and use Mobil 1 5w/30
  • dkbtndkbtn Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone ever offer any insight to your question? I just
    bought a 2002 CLK-320 convert. w/ 85,000 miles. Dealer offered ext. warrty 3 yr/45K for $2000. 85,000 is getting up there and reliability is a question. So, is it a good investment or not? Hope someone can offer some insight. Thanx in advance. DKB
  • mylesrmylesr Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2003 CLK320 coupe w/58K miles. Recent visit to M-Benz service dept indicated that I need repairs noted above...estimate was $850.00. Has anyone had this issue and can you comment?
This discussion has been closed.