Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• motokichimotokichi Member Posts: 48
    Is this option worthwhile? Is the standard audio system all that bad? My CL has a bose, but I don't think it's all that great. Is it any better in this car?

Our dealership does not have one with a Bose option, so I don't have anything to compare.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The most expensive part of a MB vehicle is the one that you hope you will never have to use...the one which will protect you in the event of an accident. The following was written by a MB shop foreman, who has been with the company for over two decades:

http://www.escribe.com/automotive/european/mbmc/m15466.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Member Posts: 146
    I ordered one on my car. I did listen to them, back to back, and the Bose had bass where the stock system didn't. Of course, one of the few improvements that you can make to the stock system is to cut in to the speaker wiring and bring in a sub with its own amp, which should make a huge difference. So, it's up to you. I chose to spend the add'l money (dealer charged me $610 instead of $810; I'm sure that I can find something to do with that money), to make things easier for myself. It might be worth it to call the next dealer over, and see if they have one that you can see.
  • wedgebunnywedgebunny Member Posts: 14
    I have the Bose option on both my C230K sedan and ML and will opt for it on the new C coupe as well when ready to order. I am one that likes to crank up the tunes, classical, rock, techno, etc. I think this is where the Bose helps...I want to feel it. With the Bose you can do it at a decent level without distortion, the stock stereo strains. All the loaners I've had are stock stereos and my CDs just don't sound as rich.

If you are buying it may help resale as well.

Good luck
    tommy and wedgebunny, thank you for your responses. I will probably include it in my list of options.
  • ruxpin27613ruxpin27613 Member Posts: 7
    For 5 long weeks we searched. We must have hit every decent lot in town; BMW, Lexus, Ford, GMC, Cadillac, Buick(ha ha), Toyota, (not Honda - Honda sucks), and Land Rover!

Rolled into Mercedes lot and there SHE was! The new C-Class Sport Coupe 230 Kompressor!(demo car) It was love at first site!

On the test drive we saw a new Lexus 2002 SC 430 Convertible coming the other way. Guess what... the driver was staring down the C230 we were driving! Guess he had an extra $30k to waste.

The dealerships can't keep them on the lots. I know, I called every dealership within 200 miles. Fortunately one equipped like we wanted arrived at the local dealership unexpectedly. A Black Coupe w/Sunroof & AT. We bought it outright!

This car is awesome inside and out! NO complaints. ANYONE who cuts on these cars is just jealous or stupid.(maybe both ;)

This car grabs attention for half the price of similarly striking cars(eg Lexus mentioned)!
    We can't go to the Home Depot without hearing compliments! Oh, and you can actually put things in the back...

And the price! Our neighbors think it costs $40k.
    These are the ones who are honest not the crap shoveling ego artists.(you know who you are)

We're pretty practical. This is the ONLY car we found that could inspire us to spend anything near $30,000.

If you're going to do it - you might as well do it right the 1st time! :)

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html

• c702000c702000 Member Posts: 39
    Just sold my Volvo C70 and ordered the C230, Red, sunroof, Bose stereo, six speed and 17"wheel package. Wanted to return to rear wheel drive and a manual transmisson. Have had enought of front wheel and automatic. Think for the money it's hard to beat, with it's standard options. Just need to find after market CD changer that will fit. Will not pay $1,000 for theirs (what a rip).
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    "...either my wife will drive it or some slope head at the dealer will set the seat all the way back..."

Last I heard "slope head" was a slur to asians....
  • rockribbedrockribbed Member Posts: 44
    No racial slur intended, just get real po'd when I get my car back from the dealer/oil changer/etc and find the seat as far back as it will go and then I have to spend a couple of days trying to find that perfect spot it was in when I gave it to them. My point was that the memory function on power seats solves that problem.

Besides, I can learn to hate someone for a lot of reasons LONG before I have to resort to his or her ethnic origins.
    For only $1100, I'll come over after each maintenance at the dealer and adjust your seat back for you.

The thing that I think is really cool is the electric headrest adjustment, though I still think that it's a hell of a lot of money for the novelty of power seats.

Of course, I'm the only one who is going to be driving my car, so it's very easy for me to say that it's a silly option.
  • billyttbillytt Member Posts: 14
    While most would agree that how it sounds is most important, for those interested, I was able to obtain from Bose what the system components are for the 2002 C230:

1 - 3" dash-mounted center fill speaker
    2 - 6.5" wide-range speakers in the front parts of doors, coupled w/
    2 - 1.5" tweeters in the front mirror patches
    2 - 6.5" wide range speakers in the rear part of the doors
    1 - 4x6" woofer in a tuned, ported, bass enclosure, located in the right trunk side trim

These speakers are powered by a centralized digital amplifier located in the right rear side trim, with 6 channels of customized equalization and digital processing to enable AudioPilot TM noise compensation technology. The AudioPilot TM sensing microphone is located near the inside rear view mirror area.

Good driving...
    Thanks for the good info. anything on what CD changers can be used with this system.
    Thanks tom
    All info I've heard/read is that it is a very difficult procedure to accomplish plus any attempt may void the warranty. The system uses fiber optics so its not a simple splice. I think I'll wait a few months/year to get a cd - I may be able to get a single play one that will not be so expensive. If you absolutely HAVE to have one check www.clairparts.com (this is a dealer in Mass. that sells on line) but you still have to get it installed.

If you have any luck post it here, there are a lot of us out here.
  • vmixervmixer Member Posts: 4
    I asked my dealer about this when I picked up my car. He said "wait a few months." Since this option is available abroad (notably in the UK), he seemed to think it may make its way to North America at some point. Of course, take all dealer claims with a grain of salt ;).

--Geoff
    MB In-dash CD players have been available in Europe for years now. They use a different radio (they have several choices actually) unlike us over here. Heck, you can even buy a MB without any speakers or radio in Europe. Oh well...

Drew
    Host
  • jarbarjarbar Member Posts: 7
    I bought a c230 coupe on Wednesday, I live 110 miles from the nearest dealer and on the way home with car, had to call ahead to husband to pull over so he could drive the coupe the rest of the way home. I absolutely could not sit in the seats. I adjusted them every way imaginable. I had to return the car the next day. made me sick. I could not justify keeping a 30,000.00 car that I could not sit in. how long does it take Recaro to make a seat for current models, and could one be installed without complications or voiding of MB warranty? Looking for any other suggestions. If I can find a solution, then I may take another stab at one in early 2002. love the car, HATE the seats. And yes, I did test drive the car for about 25 miles but I guess it wasn't long enough.
    would you elaborate on what you didn't like about the seats? Height? Support? Too hard? Too soft? would help if you provided your height, weight, inseam dimensions.

Were your seats leather or cloth? Manual or powered? What kind of car do you drive now, and are you comfortable in that?
  • quickbquickb Member Posts: 3
    I ordered my C230 about 3 weeks ago, and I don't want to see another one in Chicago until I get it. Black on Black (not leather, unfortunately). I also got the Bose. Mine comes in Sept. 3rd. Thanks for all the information on the postings!
  • bperbper Member Posts: 2
    Just bought my Silver C230 last week. Great car but seats are firm (so says my wife). She does not like them for long hauls. I might have to get a pad or something for her. I have no problem with the manual adjustments. I have leather seats and they fit well.

Regarding the audio components I think I made a mistake. I wanted the car now and this was the only one available with leather seats but it has the standard audio system. At first I thought it would be O.K. but the more I drive it the more I realize that the additional $$ for the Bose system is probably money well spent. The sound is acceptable but it is very thin with very little low end audible. I have just begun to check with after market audio stores to see if there is an acceptable fix. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    If you have never had a mb before the seats are typically firm, and those used to Japanese and/or American seats, they will take some getting used to. Typically, they seam real hard at first, but after 5 - 6 hours one the road you will not even notice the seats, which is what you want.

jarbar must be used to sofa soft seats or have a really sensitive tush. I, for one, LOVE the seats, they are better than any I have had in any car, and I've had cars from every car producing country in the world!

BTW, be thankful for the cloth seats. They look good, are more comfortable than leather, and will probably last at least as long. Being able top get cloth seats was one of the big pluses the car had. I currently don't own a car with leather seats and never will!

The only knock I have about the car is that a set of golf clubs will not sit in the "trunk". I have to lower one of the rear seats to carry my clubs, a minor point, and I don't play golf that much. Maybe I'll use the '74 450 SL when I play.
    Like many of you, I have had many cars and different car seats. BMW 525, Volvo 940, Subis, Honda, Toyo, Fords, Chevys, etc. I average a car about every 2 years. Favorite seats by far... the Volvo. I am 5' 10", long torso. I like firm seats, but these did not support my lower back. In fact I would push my back as far into the seat as I could to try and let my back muscles relax against something. There was so little lower back support that the nerve down my left leg started to burn. The last car I had was a 99 Honda Accord did not like the seats. The seat backs were too short for long hauls. Both husband and myself could not sit in them for long. I LOVE cars and have owned 18 in 21 years and average 25,000 miles a year. I really need a seat that will go the "distance". Any suggestions.
    Sorry to hear that the seats aren't working out for you thus far. However, I do have something that may help to greatly alleviate your comfort. Another C-class owner had similar issues as you did, and apparently it worked out really well.

Click here:
    drew_ "Lumbar support" Jul 11, 2001 10:49am

Drew
    Host
  • onie1onie1 Member Posts: 6
    Jut picked up mine today. Desert silver with oyster leather.Color is not my first choice but the wife wanted it. Came with teleaid promo. Engine is a little noisy but for the price I think it's a great car. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the features. I still have to read the manual.
    Just read the hit you made about the seat back supports. I have already inquired and low and behold we have a dealer where we live. I plan on test driving a few of the models. If one works, sign me up for the C230. Thanx, for all the help.
    Obusforme makes a few models specifically for car seats. Hopefully you can find one that will meet your needs.

http://www.obusforme.com/products/driverseat.htm

Let us know how everything turns out!

Drew
    Host
  • crvolscrvols Member Posts: 23
    I looked on the MB Web site for mats and found the C class floor and trunk mats were listed as unavailable at $79. I was at our local warehouse store today (BJ's) and found a universal mat for $15 that fits perfectly. It is 29" x 34/5" in 1" deep heave material for $15. In case anyone is interested it is listed as an "SUV CARGO MAT" mfg. by Kraco #CT_2000

Just a reminder that the MB chat is on tonight (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/mercedeschat.html

• jschwartz2jschwartz2 Member Posts: 4
    Had 2 bad experiences ..perhaps the dealers don't want to spend too much time with customers who are spending less than $30,000 on a new Mercedes. First dealer did a bait and switch. Next dealer gave me an angry salesman who cooled down after 10 minutes and turned out to be a nice guy..but no C230s in stock.
  • brightnessbrightness Member Posts: 40
    I'm just reading the spec's on MBUSA's websites. Why is the cabin room, especially the shoulder rooms less in the SportCoup than the C sedans? I thought the whole car is shared with the sedans except the rear-end and obviously the doors. The specs read narrower than even the SAAB 9-3, which is really quite narrow.

Jim
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Firstly, the platform is shared, not the whole body...in fact, there are no shared body panels between the sedan and the coupe, at all, period.

The coupe is several inches shorter than the sedan, which makes the interior comparison actually come out rather generously, in my opinion. But there are so many details that have to be different between the two cars [engineering the hatch is one reason you lose some width in the back seat], what is amazing to me is how well the car feels in terms of space, especially in the front seat. Considering the lower roofline, shorter overall length, etc, the total enclosed space is surprisingly generous compared to the sedan...in my recent test drive, I was actually pleasantly surprised about this aspect of the car.
  • suprchrgdsuprchrgd Member Posts: 8
    I received word from my dealer today that MB was set to start rolling out leather in the next batch of C-Coupes they assemble. Which puts mine being ready early/mid October and arriving here Oct. 20'ish (placed order early July). I don't think I've been this excited about a car since I was 16.
  • mdouglas3mdouglas3 Member Posts: 8
    The c-coupe is definitely worth the wait! I'm coming up to a month with mine and I could not be happier with this car. I went to the Detroit Auto show to see the car and had to wait over six months. Needless to say it was an excruciating wait! This a special car and I think the production numbers are going to be higher than anticipated. I just hope this won't cause the dealers to start gauging a la PT Cruiser style.
  • cannondale1cannondale1 Member Posts: 6
    What do I do now???

Okay, I'm in. I've placed my order and the dealer put my name on a coupe that will be built in Sept for delivery sometime in October.

Orion Blue (of course)
    Auto (liked the 6-spd, too)
    CD-changer (minor deal at $620)

The question is what to do while I burn up waiting for delivery? I've had 5 test drives and been back to the dealer once just to look at the demos.....
    By the way, we played with the ESP on a grass field and it is awesome.
    I posted a long soliloquy on the C-Class board [Sedans] about my recent test-driving of both the C coupe and sedan. I can't repeat it here. For anyone interested, you can read it there. [You should consider subscribing to the C-Class discussion in the Sedan board if you haven't already - there are or will be a lot of common issues and questions between both sets of owners.]

For the record here, I have owned 45 cars over the last 40 years or so, including 13 Mercedes. I think the C-coupe is right up there with the most interesting things MB has done for the US market in a very long time...it's nice to see them taking some risks for a change, as this car is seen as a "risk" by a lot of marketing types who think they know more about us than we do...I'd love to see their expectations confounded, especially those who think this car somehow "demeans" the MB "brand" [Autoweek, Automobile, and others]. I was favorably impressed by the car, and I have pretty high standards to bring to the table...
    Here's the link to John's excellent review. I have to say that I throughly enjoyed it :-)

jrct9454 "Mercedes-Benz C-Class" Aug 23, 2001 11:07am
    jrct9454 "Mercedes-Benz C-Class" Aug 23, 2001 11:22am
    jrct9454 "Mercedes-Benz C-Class" Aug 23, 2001 11:50am

Drew
    Host
  • bperbper Member Posts: 2
    Read the review. Also thought it was good. Regarding the noise (squeak or rattle), I had the same thing with my new C230. I had the dealer install soundproofing material in the hatchback and it solved the problem. It was an easy fix.
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    Also read your review. Wow, it is unbelievable how similar opinions we have. I have tested a MB C and currently own a 99 BMW 323i. I consider the MB C Coupe only because of money, if the recession will continue its ugly progress. However, if it does not, than I will still be in a Bimmer-land. Yet, when I test-drove the C Coupe, I was pleasantly surprised with its firmness and handling.
    The only thing that we do not agree is the comparison with Japanese competitors - I find them so inferior, that to me they do not fall into same class (i.e., I should be in a serious trouble to go for an Accord, actually, I would probably select a Jetta/Golf instead). I believe that German-made cars are have much better driving and handling characteristics, that they have no competition... I believe that someone referred to Japanese cars as appliances, and I am pretty close to agree on such a naming, at least for the mostly purchased bunch (Civics, Accords, Corollas, Camris, and whatever others are there).
    Have been searching for a CD changer, can't see paying the option price. New car is on order and would like to get a changer, while waiting. Does any know if the Alpine Cd Changer Chas624 with fiber optic cable will work? Dealer said that the option was about $1,000, found on "build your own" Mercedes page, that this option was $775.00. Still think it's worth looking into to reduce the price. Thanks for the help........
    Tom
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    If not, is it an option? If option, how much?
    ...are not standard and not optional..."unobtainable" on the coupe.
  • jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    We went for a test drive after investigating on the web and here for the impressions of the C Class Coupe Kompressor. Needless to say, the responses have been extreamly favorable, and after going for our little half hour drive, we could not agree more. We live in the SF bay area and are dealing with Smythe European. The sales people are the best I've ever dealt with, and I've looked at a lot of cars over the past few years.

Some driving impressions: Nice power, better then I'm used to after driving an Infiniti G20 since 92. Superb handling, great turning radius, about the smallest I've seen. Compliant ride, yet very little body roll in turns. I LOVED the automatic. The flexibility makes it a perfect couples car. My wife has no interest in working the gears, and is perfectly happy leaving it in drive. I however, will explore the limits of the power band in second, third and fourth, YES!

The build quality is well, Mercedes Benz. Nuff said. Going with the dark cloth, automatic, power seats, silver paint. Skipping the sun roof and other add-ons. Build order goes in the middle of next month, expected delivery mid-November. We can't wait! Finally Mercedes put a car within reach, and we grabbed one.

BTW. Today, the dealer was offering valet parking in the area, the interest in their cars is so strong, place was mobbed, they had a two hour waiting list for test drives in the C coupe. They just might have a winner there......
    ...also a sign that the Bay Area economy is not as dead as everyone would have you believe...our dealer in Sacramento is also enjoying a record year, and sees no sign of a slowdown. Of course, it always helps to have a product that people want...
  • 1702817028 Member Posts: 45
    I found an interesting option for people who want a cheaper CD player than the one Mercedes offers. Apparently Jensen has a 6-disc CD changer that sends out an FM signal that you can pick up on your car radio. You probably won't get that perfect digital sound, but the unit was advertised at only 110 dollars in Sunday's paper, if I remember correctly.
    I've not really looked into it since I'm not in the market for a C coupe right now, but if someone checks it out feel free to post how it works out.
    ...these are common out there...made by any number of manufacturers. But don't expect fidelity comparable to a CD player working directly through the system.
  • wldockwldock Member Posts: 17
    There are dealers that sell OEM changers for less than what you would pay at the dealer.

Discout Car Audio has changers for about $550.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/OEM/OEMChangers.htm

• amattusamattus Member Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone!

Will there ever be a C320 V6 Sports Coupe in the future? I ask this question because my wife thinks the C230K 4 engine is a bit noisy for her. We currently own an ML320 whose engine we love even more than our 2001 Passat V6. We basically upgraded all our cars to 6cyls primarily for comfort (less noise, vibration, and added power). When we test drove the C230K, it reminded us of our Black '84 VW Rabbit GTI as we used to drive it along Pacific Coast Highway California, only this car is many times better. So, I'll order a Black one if it comes with the 320 V6. Hints, tips... anyone?
  • stupideaglesstupideagles Member Posts: 9
    Saab was probably the only European sport sedan with hatchback design. Now MB has one. I think C230 has better quality for the interior. The sunroof is very attractive. Whether 6 speed manual or 5-speed +/- auto is good.

Overfall, I think the new 2003 is good but the hatchback look is ugly, not as pretty as Saab 9-3. Also 9-3 got more interior space. The MB is probably quicker than the 185hp base 9-3 and may be a little bit slower then the 205hp 9-3.but for the same price, we can get a MB ! I am going to test drive one this week (it has been there for more than 2 weeks now..)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    That's encouraging that you compared the C230 to the 84 Rabbit GTI, especially since I still own a black 84 Rabbit GTI :) I absolutely love that car and will always compare its handling, driving satisfaction, and reliability to whatever car I buy. The C230 looks awesome and is high on my list for next year. If it drives somewhat like my GTI, I will be a very happy camper. But nothing could ever take the place of my GTI as I plan on keeping her. Did you have good luck with your GTI? How long did you own it and how many miles? It's always cool to hear from current or former owners of that wonderfully engineered true driver's car.
    I have heard rumours that there might be one in a couple of years, but I would not bet the ranch on it. Might impact clk sales, so I don't know how much upmarket they want to go with the ccoupe.

As far as the c230 vs. 9-3 debate, the 9-3 platform is ancient! I did almost buy one; I used to have an '83 900 S, and there's just something about them that I really like, despite the constant problems that I had with mine. But, quality is still not Saab's claim to fame, the dash setup is really weird, and their color selection has really gone down the tubes. Not to mention torque steer in high-hp examples. The new 9-3, when it comes out next year, will probably be a very nice car, though Saab prices aren't the cheapest out there, either.
This discussion has been closed.