Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    As a current Saab 900S, and former VW Sirocco owner (as well as an "almost"BMW 318ti and "almost"VW Corrado) , I see the M-B C-Coupe as potentially being a worthy successor.

Yes, all of these are hatchbacks. That's the point. When I need a truck, I'll borrow/rent one. The meantime, a hatch is usually enough. The other cars on my short list right now is probably an Audi Avant (wagon), maybe a Golf GTI.

The biggest overall problem that I see is that if we say that the appeal of a hatchback is its practicality, there is the *perception* problem in that the C-Coupe requires premium gas. And even though I know that the true cost for Octane is peanuts...around $200/year)...it nevertheless remains a niggling factor that will eat at me. Historically, this was also true of the BMW 318ti, although IMO its "gutless wonder"motor with 2 people in the car was also a major factor for why I didn't buy one.

Overall, the biggest question I have right now is from the NYC auto show's M-B representative, who told me that they apparently aren't presently offering European delivery on the C-Coupe.

-hh

(my apologies if this is a repost; the board didn't appear to be working earlier)
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Well, it is a supercharged engine, and produces a fair amount of torque and horsepower from something only 2.3L large (or small, depending on how you look at it). Perhaps that will help...FWIW, ALL MB vehicles require premium fuel, except for the diesels, of course.

Hope to see you participating more often in here in the future!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    Drew,

I'm gratified that MB is using the Kompressor so that the C230 isn't going to be as pitiful of a performer as the BMW 318ti was, particuarly on torque.

My point regarding premium gas is that its my "stingy"...er, "practicality" :-) gene coming out, which is the same gene that appreciates hatchback designs. I know its not really a big deal, but it still feels like one.

BTW, MB answered an email inquiry I had sent them. Two good tidbits in it worth sharing:

First, the official release date is currently scheduled for July 16th, 2001 (although it can obviously still change).

Next, unlike what I reported from the NYC auto show, the C230 *WILL* reportedly be available for European Delivery, "...once the model becomes available for retail sales."

IMO, it still looks quite promising. If it test-drives well, the odds are good that you'll find me somewhere between the Romantic Road and Grindelwald, Switzerland, where there's some fabulous day-hiking in the Alps.

Of course, now if they'll only cut the profit margins on a couple of the items so that my praticality genes corner me into ordering a 'stripper', as well as cough up some details on the sport handling package (and hopefully, it won't cost ~$3K).

-hh
  • tommyp13tommyp13 Member Posts: 146
    I stopped off at a local dealer to ask about the c230. I asked, "Do you know much about the new c230?", and he said, "They don't make it anymore." And that was only the start of his attitude (one of the things that I hate about possibly buying a Benz). He finally said that he was going to training soon on the car, but he also said that it wouldn't be out until September or October. I also called another dealer who said it would be available in the Fall. Is this a case of dealers not knowing anything, or is there conflicting info out there?

It seems like a great car, but I'm not sure it's really worth $11k over a gti 1.8t.

Is there anything online about the options pricing, or would I have to go to a dealer for the info?
  • totalnettotalnet Member Posts: 67
    Planned release for all 2002 C-Class models is July 2001 including the C-Coupe, C-Wagon and C32 AMG.

Here is the product hightlights for the C-Coupe.
    C230 Kimpressor Coupe-Exciting new styling In a whole new Sports Coupe.
    The all-new Sports Coupe offers dynamic, sporty styling with the performace to back it up.
    Powered by the 2.3L Kimpressor engine, it leads its field in performance without sacrifice.
    The new byers will be younger than anyone that we have ever seen come in and this could very well be their first new car purchase.

Matallic Paint $650
    Leather Upholstery $1410
    COMMAND System $2080
    Automatic Transmission $1300
    Bose Sound System $610
    Teleaid TBD

C1 Memory Power Front Seats $1225
    C2 Panorama Sunroof/Rain Sensor $995
    C4 Headlamp Washer/Heated Seats $820

C5 Premium Package - Sunroof/Bose System/Leather Uphostery/Rain Sensor TBA
    K2 (VPC Installed) Motorola phone with CD Changer TBD
    K2a (VPC Installed) Same above with Voice Control TBD

There will be two colors exclusive to the coupe, Paprika and Alabaster White. Actually the C32 will also get Alabaster White. Some color and upholstery combination will be special order at $1000.

I don't see the optional Xenon headlights that the other C-class can get on the list.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    The options will certainly send the base price soaring into the stratosphere.
    For $1410, I sure hope the leather seats are REALLY nice. And then another $1225 for memory seats?!
    I'd be looking to get the base with the sunroof only. I'm actually surprised that the sunroof option is so little, considering how much goes into it.

The other bs, I could do without, as I'm sure most of the c230 owners would. Those are more old fart kind of options, and the c230 typical owner should be younger.

I'd go aftermarket leather, as it should be substantially cheaper. The cloth, from what I've seen so far, is pretty nasty.

I think the success of the model will come down to its price, as the M-B name doesn't mean all that much to younger buyers. If it's 27-28, it'll do fine; if it goes over $30, you're looking at another 318ti.
    That's odd, I could've sworn seeing the HID Xenon headlamp option (with auto leveling) for about US$800. I'd definitely go for the option, considering the 2.5 times increase in illumination. Well, it is a Mercedes-Benz, and if you want it, you should be prepared to pay for it, I guess. MB doesn't want to degrade the prestige of their brand name by offering vehicles that are too "cheap". There will always be people willing to pay for it, so they don't have any worries.

Drew
    Host
  • totalnettotalnet Member Posts: 67
    Looking at the 2002 C240 option list, the prices are the pretty much the same as the 2002 C230 Coupe. The only differents are the Sunroof and the Sport package. I wonder how much they are going to charge for the C5 package. Most will get the Sunroof, the Bose been given pretty good reviews, and perforated leather seats has been get some good review by people who have them.

The leather upholstery will be like one the sedans, which not only includes the seats, but also the doors. Not sure what other part of the interior gets leather.

The weird thing is that the price the C320 Wagon's Sunroof/Rain Sensor is $1250. For $1350 on the sedans, you get the sunshade with that package.

Hmm, the Xenon is not listed for any other C-class on the list where I got the info from.
    The cloth seats in the photos were garish, but all the photos we've seen are European models. Maybe the US models will have a more elegant or more conservative pattern or else be a solid color.
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    Anyone know?
    Heated seats were listed in the options in a post earlier today.
    There was a new page added for the hatch, I mean, coupe (that's a pretty silly differentiation). They list the options (not prices), colors, specs. It looks great.
    Drumroll, please...

It's $24,950. Pretty reasonable, I think. Looks like I'm going to blow off the Mini (scared of new engine at new plant in new joint venture on brand-new car). Now all that's left is to compare it to the rsx and gti. The rep said their demo will be there towards the end of July, with first orders coming in late August/September.
    Thanks for the information! Did you find this out frm a sales rep, or a MB rep via the phone? In any case, that's extremely reasonable, considering that it's a MB! Don't forget that you get 4 years of free scheduled maintenance too. This means that even with desirable options such as power seats + leather + moonroof, the price will be under $30K! Wow!

Drew
    Host
    Drew, actually someone posted it yesterday, and I called MB to get verification. Talked to a local (NJ) sales rep this morning to verify the info, and he did (obviously). I really didn't want to believe it yesterday when I saw the post. That just seems too good to be true. Yeah, I wouldn't do the old man options, but I certainly would have to add the sunroof.

Some minor quibbles are having to add in the cd player and paying for a good color for the car (only white, black, and red are free). But, at $25k, I guess I have a little more wiggle room than I expected.

Other possible problem: at $25k, the price might be low enough to attract more buyers than I want it to. Hoping that the hatch layout scares off alot of people, to keep numbers smallish.
    The 318Ti was less than $20K when it came out and there was no stampede to BMW dealers.
    But, since this car isn't underpowered like the ti, I think this car will get a slightly larger following. Plus, the engine's moddable (is that a word?), so there will certainly be a contingent of youngish (for a M-B) owners out there.
  • mdouglas3mdouglas3 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone heard about the expected delivery date of the sport coupe. I put my order in and discovered that I knew more about the car than my salesman.
    I talked to a rep here in N. NJ, and he said that a demo car will be ready for test drives towards the end of July (hope it's a manual), and that people who have already placed orders will get them in late August / early Sept. He said that if I waited until after a test drive to order one, that I'd get it in Oct/Nov. I can't see ordering one without actually having driven it first.

I'd check www.ccoupe.com every so often to see if they've posted any delivery info.

Yeah, don't expect the salespeople to know much about the models at all before they start to trickle into showrooms.
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    Any rumors about putting a smooth C320 coupe (hatchback) into production?
    Don't worry, I hear that an AMG version is already in the works. Whether it will make it over to North America in the upcoming years should be interesting.

Drew
    Host

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

Drew
    Host
  • jwilberdingjwilberding Member Posts: 25
    I know there will be a discussion tonight, but I will not be able to make it. I have heard a lot of conflicting stories regarding Mercedes dealers/retailers and whether or not they can move off of MSRP.

I am strongly considering the new coupe and am wondering if anyone has placed order? If you did, were you able to get any discount? I am assuming that like many new models that have any "buzz" attached people are actually paying over sticker.

Fyi!
    I just drove the WRX and a Type R, but I really want real wheel drive and think the coupe will be a fun little car and a decent bang for the buck. I just sold my 2000 s4 which was an great car (I needed the $) and will surely miss the power as compared to a 4 banger.
    For mid 20's I think a couple of extra g's is worth it for a Mercedes...let's just hope the quality of build is there.
  • cpeterson3cpeterson3 Member Posts: 51
    We put a $500 deposit back in December with our dealer and back then he said that he would most likely come off the MSRP by $650 or basically the delivery charge. He has been feeding us info. all along as he received it and last weekend we were getting my wife's car serviced and went through his MB computer ordering program. The prices were as they are on the website with the base at $24,950. We're fairly certain the only option we'll order is the premium package which had not been priced but if you price all the individual components together, you'll be at $3K. He expected about a $400 discount on the package so with tax, title and reg., if I think I'll be paying $28,500. We are his first order and his regional MB rep. said the intended arrival date is July 21st.
    I just noticed that even if the base price was as low as $24,950, by the time you add the destination charge and load it with options (automatic, navigation, leather, moonroof, Bose stereo, metallic paint, heated seats etc.) at the options prices listed in an earlier post, the price is around $34,000.

At $34,000, it is not as attractive, since you could get an Acura CL-S with Navigation or other similar car for thousands less.
    I am sure many people just want a Mercedes no matter what, and it still is the least expensive Mercedes you can get if even it tops out at about $34,000 so it should still sell well enough especially since the factory cannot build the C230 at the same pace Acura builds CLs. This low production may mean short supply and waiting lists for the people who will still be inclined to buy a C230 even at those prices.
    The C230 only comes with a cassete player standard. Based on the picture on the mbusa web site, it looks as if the cassette is replaced with a single disc CD player when you order the navigation system. I am not sure about that though. This would at least spare you the expense of needing to also order the 6-disc cd changer to play CDs if you opt for the navigation system.
    Can anyone confirm this and are any options required to be purchased together or do any options prevent you from ordering others? For instance, does the Bose system and navigation system require the other or eliminate the choice of the other?
  • PeterunPeterun Member Posts: 83
    I looked closely at the color brochure given to all the salespeople who got to test drive the C230 recently here in So. Ca.. Most definately, something new from M-B: There is a different radio than in other M-B products. Pictured is a NON-NAVIGATION radio, with a distinct slot for a single CD. Separately, is there any possibility of any discount on these cars? Or strictly an MSRP vehicle? Is this a car which will be in short supply like the CLK has been? Or will it be mass produced and readily available? Pete
    The website says cassette is standard.
    They are not going to be discounting a car that has has just come out and is a novelty.
    Maybe in a year.
  • tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    I haven't seen the pictures, so I, of course, cannot speak with authority, but most navigation systems require a DVD or CD for their map information, so just because there is a CD slot does not necessarily mean that there is a CD player.

Tom
    MotoVision reported than an AMG version of the C-class coupe is currently being worked on. I assume it's more than just the AMG appearance package and will include engine mods as well?

Drew
    Host
    Like people have said, I'd highly doubt that they would give a discount on the price. I'm actually kind of hoping that they just don't charge over msrp.

If you put a large amount of options on any car, the price is going to jump high. Why should this car be any different?

I guess the 6-speed is the same as the clk's. I have heard that it's not too buttery-smooth. Anyone with any first-person experience?
    The reason why a point is being made about the price rising with options, is because standard features are lacking and the prices of options are extremely high.
    Some of the "options" should be standard in cars of this class.
    If you don't like the garish pattern on the standard cloth seats, you have to get the overpriced leather where they charge extra again for heat.
    A CD player is optional?
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    There's always a possibility, but from what I heard and read there is no over-the-top version of the C-Coupé in the making - well, I sure hope MV was right, he, he...

BTW, where did my post with the wonderful pictures go??? I even credited MB's website for the images, and now this!!! No, I didn't delete it myself either...

Now severely offended Tarik
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    I sent you an explanation for your deleted message.

Your information is very much appreciated, but as stated in our Town Hall Use of Terms, copyright photos should not be posted into the messages here. Please just provide us with a urls to the photos, so as not to violate another website's copyright property.

Btw, we realize that participants are sometimes not aware of the guidelines, so if we have to delete a post, we usually send an explanation, along with a copy of the message. This gives one the opportunity to re-edit. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

Ts, ts, ts!

I post, you delete, I am lucky enough to find my old post in the cache and re-post, you delete AGAIN! Man, I thought someone was "messing" with my mind!

Seriously, I do appreciate your (and Pat's) occasional making clear of the TH statutes. Rules are rules, and from now on, all you'll see from me are links instead of pictures.

Friends again? ;-)

Most humble Tarik
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    I was hoping my email would clear up any confusion..., as I do appreciate the value you bring to our Town Hall discussions. Happy motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

Look at the c240 and c320. They start out fairly stripped as well. The c240 has the same bs with the cassette player.
    Mercedes will always get a premium over most over cars - probably until idiots like us stop buying them until they are a little more in line. I realize that I'd probably get screwed a little on the price, but that would be my decision.
    If anyone's looking for a ton of car for the price, look at a wrx, vw gti 1.8, or even rsx (assuming no dealer markups on the Acura) for a better deal.
    Don't get me wrong; the ccoupe is still my #1 choice, pending my powertrip in July. I just think that people shouldn't look for a value leader in this car.

Also, for a look at the competition, see what you get with a stripped 325 these days.

Finally, there's been talk that the ccoupe in North America will come with solid cloth, not that crap in the Euro versions; hope that's not just a wild rumor.
    Finally, there's been talk that the ccoupe in North America will come with solid cloth, not that crap in the Euro versions; hope that's not just a wild rumor

May I ask, which "crap" you are refering to? Can you point me to an URL with a picture of this oh-so-ugly interior?

Thanks,

Tarik
    Don't know how to post url's, but there's a picture of it on Edmunds' review (their "First Look"), and if you go to www.ccoupe.com , the official site has pictures of it.

It's basically got squiggles all over the place, and is most unbecoming.

I'm probably going to go aftermarket leather, so I'm not that concerned, but it would be nice to have solid instead of the worms all over the seats.
    The fabric pattern looks like something you'd expect in a Totota Echo or Dodge Neon.
    ...what you mean.

Well, in MB's eyes, the Coupé caters to the young at heart (no pun), thus something fancier than gray on gray. May be the US version will come in toned down somewhat, as us-americans have been known in Europe as not exactly fashionable, whereas Europeans (Germans in particular) sometimes appear morbid in their quest to individualize their "everything".

Tarik
  • PeterunPeterun Member Posts: 83
    I'm wondering if the new C230 has a self-dimming rear view mirror as standard? In past Mercedes', the three garage door remotes are on the bottom of the mirror? Anyone know about this? Pete
    If you go to the "Specifications" part of ccoupe.com, you'll see them listed separately. It doesn't say whether or not the buttons are on the mirror as you described, but I doubt they would do something brand-new for the car, instead of reaching down into the existing parts bin.

Tarik, I know what you mean about European tastes. I can still remember those gaudy Recaro seats in the older gtis - they looked like someone threw up fruity pebbles on them, though they were great seats otherwise. I guess those things sell in Europe well, but I wish they'd keep them there.
  • driver36driver36 Member Posts: 57
    FYI: I have talk with the MB salesperson saying that the C230 should be here by early December.
    And they will start a wait list by September whos paying for MSRP.

Happy car hunting :-)
    http://www.motortrend.com/june01/c230/1.html

A couple of points...the C-class coupe weighs only 60 lbs less than the C240 V6 sedan because MB wanted to make sure that the coupe didn't compromise anything as far as safety goes. Motor Trend found that the 5 speed auto didn't match as well with the engine vs. the 6 speed manual. However, I've driven the previous generation C230K auto sedan many times, and even with that engine having slightly less horsepower, there was always a lot of torque on hand at just about any speed.

Drew
    Host
    Why did the MT article give a base price of $27k? The base of $24,950 has been out for a while now. Is it because of printing deadlines that they couldn't update the price? Kind of weird.
    I also had read somewhere else that the reviewer thought that the auto was a better match for the car than the manny. Who should we believe?
    I'm doing the powertrip in July, but of course, all three c230s that will be there are autos. There will be an slk there with the 6-speed, but since this MT article says the feel between the tranny in the c230 & slk is different, I'm going to wait until I can drive a c230 with a manny to see if I'd like it.
    Benz sure doesn't make this an easy decision for me.
    I also read the article were they said the manual transmission was crappy and the automatic was wonderful.
    Odd that two reviews would give opposite info.
This discussion has been closed.