Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz CLK (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    jjpeterjjpeter Member Posts: 230
    At least the article pointed to the A class and M class as problem vehicles. Hopefully, the issues which cropped up on those models have not carried over to the C230 coupe. Over all though, a bit troubling to read. Thanks for the link H.H.

crikey, appreciate the conversion info.

Jay
  • Options
    petercrasepetercrase Member Posts: 19
    Picked up my car yesterday from service dept.of Berberian European Motors in Stockton, CA, my local dealer. C230K C Coupe, build date 11/01, in service date, 1/6/02, Purchased from Auto Stiegler, Encino CA. Mileage at time of service, 1,683.
    1. Rearmost muffler heat shield rattles when door, hood or hatch closes.
    1a. Heat shield hold down bolt loose, dealer retorqued bolt.

2. When manual seats are brought forward, carpet mats catch on seat sliders, rolling over and goughing out the foam backing and leaving grease marks on top of carpet mat.
    2a. MBZ regional rep verified with 3 other like vehicles, he will relate to MBZ, they will notify dealer when a resolution is available so a warranty repair can be scheduled.

3. Aluminum trim in console is mismounted, about a quarter of an inch high on right side, near cupholder door.
    3a. Service advisor pushed down hard on trim, it popped down into place and stayed.

4. Rear hatch rubbing body opening at bottom outside corners, leaving abrasion marks in paint on hatch and top of bumper.
    4a. MBZ regional rep verified with 3 other like vehicles, he will relate to MBZ, they will notify dealer when a resolution is available so a warranty repair can be scheduled.

5. Front grill top mounting bolts loose.
    5a. Service advisor tightened bolts.

6. Windows down feature with electronic key, need to be within 2 feet of car receptor to make windows operate.
    6a. No resolution yet, dealer could not verify until I picked up car and demonstrated problem to him. While pointing key at receptor in door handle, locking/unlocking works fine, window up/down feature only works sporadically. Same results with either key, windows feature will always work when very close to car, but intermittenly when further away. Service advisor will check with tech and call me.

7. Rattle in passenger door.
    7a. Dealer tech lubed/adjusted side panel by glovebox. Have not verified if rattle is gone yet.

8. Tires have 37 lbs of pressure all around from dealer.
    8a. I haven't adjusted tire pressure yet, 32 lbs all around seems to be the accepted norm in my area. Mercedes recommends 28 lbs in front and 32 lbs in rear, but says additional psi is ok.

2002 C230K Hatchback Coupe, Alabaster White with Oyster Cloth interior, 6 Speed manual trans, Bose Stereo and 6 CD Changer.
  • Options
    galaxygrrlgalaxygrrl Member Posts: 21
    Hi all!

I was greatly concerned with relibility. My take on the MB brand is that the C-Class is fine. It does best in consumer reports. the other classes are an issue.

So, while our Cs are not Hondas, let's hope their close.
  • Options
    tommyp13tommyp13 Member Posts: 146
    I have not yet heard of anyone having better success with the windows down feature. My range seems to be a little better than 2 feet, but still puny. I don't think that you're by yourself on this one. Does the manual say anything about a range at all? If not, then you don't really have a problem.
    Everything else sounds pretty minor, though annoying.
  • Options
    beldainbeldain Member Posts: 6
    After ordering 7/31/2001, my C230K is finally in and prepped- I'm picking it up tomorrow. Pictures over the weekend, if we get some decent weather here in MD.

I decided to have the dealer install the CD- it's worth a couple hundred to me not to have to stress over screwing it up. I've got a few ride sheets from a local motorcycle club, so I'll probably be putting 500+ miles on it this weekend without actually going anywhere in particular (except some fun twisties).

Any nominations for the first disc?
  • Options
    Here are my thoughts for a christening song.

There are the Benz songs

-- Janis Joplin: Won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz
    --Fresh Prince- Summertime: "riding around in your jeep or your benzos, or in your Nissan sitting on lorenzos"
    -- Pink's latest single: "I'll be lookin stylish in my Mercedes benz"
    -- In a Mase and puffy daddy song it once said:Do Mase got the ladies, yea yea, do puff drive a Mercedes

But, I would vote for a great driving song. My favorite is "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane. Great raod trip song.

Cheers,
    Beth
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I had the same problem with ear pain while riding in the back seat with the sunroof fully open. The pressure was very uncomfortable feeling and annoying. Perhaps the fluctuating pressure problem is only noticed by rear seat passengers? I asked if others had noticed this and so far you are the only other one to mention ear pain like I encountered. That may be because no one has had rear seat passengers yet with the sunroof open. As long as the noise isn't noticeable from the front then its no big deal. If it is, then I wouldn't get the nifty option.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Theme from "The Sopranos"
    Bruce Springsteen "Glory Days"
    Guns N Roses "You could be Mine"

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Vivaldi - Four Seasons
    Wagner - Tannhäuser
    Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No.9
    Mozart - Symphony in C, No. 41

Stevie Ray Vaughan Greatest Hits (1995)
    Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Is Mercedes-Benz quality really on a decline and downfall?
  • Options
    1. Mars, the Bringer of War (from Holst's Planets)
    2. Orff- Carmina Burana
    3. Santana- Supernatural
    4. Jim Steinman- Bad for Good
    5. Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
    6. Peter Gabriel- Passion (from Last Temptation of Christ)

After a nice long ride, I can definitively say that the Bose system rocks on pretty much any type of music. The only thing that bothered me a bit was the simplistic Bass/Treble control instead of an equalizer, but it's still very good. I played with the effects a little, too, and decided to stay with the "Driver" setting rather than "Ambient" or turning it off.

Anyone else nonplussed about the lack of better audio controls?
  • Options
    Of course, the car is a dream to drive. I can't wait to finish breaking in the engine so that I can really have some fun. At one point, while passing a truck on a steep interstate downgrade, I looked down to find myself doing 95 or so at only 3200 RPM.

Track time, gotta get some track time lined up for early March.
  • Options
    nomindnomind Member Posts: 5
  • Options
    nomindnomind Member Posts: 5
    I cannot agree more with the leaked survey about MB's lower customer satisfaction. I also experienced lower quality from MB. I had ESP and BAS troubles flashing on the panel once in a while over the last 3 months. Whenever it happened, I just stopped and restarted the engine and the problems went away. I thought these are just some minor electronic hiccups and never pay serious attention to them. However, the problems became more tense last week and I finally sent the car in for repairs. The MB shop told me I needed a new bake sensor but MB did not have any part available until a week later. This kind of no available parts happened to me not once but twice in 3 months. The first time, I had to wait about 10 days for a damaged sensors in the passenger chair. The damaged sensors prevented me from moving AT ALL my power passenger chair for 10 DAYS. To made things worse, it happened on the FIRST day I got my brand new C230.

I used to have high faith in MB until this C230, my 4th MB. I am thinking about writing them a letter to express my strong dispointment with their quality and service. Does anyone know any proper person and address at MB's higher hierarchy? I hope my voice can be heard!
  • Options
    he's the President/CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC. You should all start sending your gripes and complaints to him. There's no place to start like the top!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Very sorry to hear about your vehicle problems.

"I hope my voice can be heard!"

In addition to posting here, you may also want to copy/paste your message into our MB C230 problems & solutions discussion. Same goes for anyone else experiencing a problem, or that has come up with a solution. This will make it easier for others to find on down the line..., especially since messages in this discussion may have a tendency to get lost in the crowd. I hope things are resolved for you soon. Please keep us posted on your situation.

To everyone - For future reference, you'll find a direct link to this problems discussion in the Helpful Links on the left side of the page.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    motokichimotokichi Member Posts: 48
    galaxygrrl,

Another song that mentions M-B is the Kool Moe Dee track "they want money" (Knowledge is King,1988)
    'I'm drivin, benz one ninety two-point-five you know where to find me...' (warning: track maybe offensive to some listeners)

although it may not fit well with the Benz image...
  • Options
    Hi all!

Today, I got my after market leather and the seats were not perforated? Does the factory leather have perforated seats. TIA

(oh, BTW, the front seats look great, the back seats need some work)

Beth
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
  • Options
    Fabulous web site crikey! Thanks! Too bad current owners of the 2.3 liter kompressor motor won't see this increased fuel efficiency. The price you pay for wanting a model early in its release cycle...
  • Options
    rancheroranchero Member Posts: 25
    jjpeter - i don't feel bad about getting my coupe early in the cycle. i am perfectly happy with the 2.3 litre supercharged engine and the car i got. looks like the smaller, new one won't have any more horsepower than the one i have and what do i care about fuel mileage? filled up with 91 octane premium today at $1.159. i am pleased with the engine i got, with the mileage and power i get. know what? i'll probably trade the coupe for a new one when i can get a bigger, more powerful, smoother six cylinder engine in a couple of years. until then, i don't regret having the engine i got.
  • Options
    ciracira Member Posts: 37
    The current 2.3 Kompressor is tried and tested - a fabulous power plant perfected over many years. The new engine may prove wonderful, but every new technology has its issues. Until it has been in service for a while, I prefer the tried and true, even if it means giving up a little precious gas mileage (which I do believe is a great benefit of the new engine - prices won't be low forever).
  • Options
    I agree the current Kompressor is a wonderful power plant. Amazing power from 4 cylinders. It just sounds like MB is further perfecting the design, and this third generation effort will be more refined, economical and smooth. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 2.3 compressor first appear in the 99 C class and CLK? Some minor interior quieting measures were taked for the 2002 design. So now, its on its third revision in 3-4 years. A work in progress.
  • Options
    Has anyone been reading the posts in the sedan section on the C-class. The quality comments are frightening to those of us awaiting our 230s. Has anyone had the remote key problems cited (see #5105 and many others). It sounds like most problems begin after 10,000 miles. Has anyone put that many miles on their 230 yet and if so, has the quality "time bomb" gone off yet? I'm thinking I should have bought a VW.
  • Options
    I was super concerned about reliability before I bought my c230 -- just went through a horrible lemon law buy back lawsuit with VW. I did lot of research and decided to buy the car. Here was my reasons.

(1) I loved it.

(2) Unforunately it is not a Honda or Toyota, but it's not a VW either (yeah!)

(3) I studied consumer reports on this car with great detail. The car IS recommended, although if you want trouble free it's not the same as Honda. MBs do have problems with the electronic systems though and given that the stats say you will have some problem with it in the life time of the car.

(4) You will get great loaner cars (E-class, CLKs) from the MB service dept when you need to take it in.

(5) If you get a car with issues, you can always sell it and this car will keep it's value.

I got my two weeks ago and it came with one tiny problem on it (a fuel gauge issue which seems common to c230ks) otherwise it will be fine.

You might want to check this link out. It was a thread I started about the very same issue on mbworld http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3236&referrerid=0

Good luck

Beth

• Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The 2.3 Kompressor was first offered in the US in 1998 in the SLK230.
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I remember the song and the video...thanks for the memory.

M
  • Options
    alika21alika21 Member Posts: 7
    U...G...L....Y you ain't got no alby you ugly.
  • Options
    huntzingerhuntzinger Member Posts: 356
    ...you ain't got no alby you ugly.

The old BMW 2002 was no beauty queen either, yet that didn't stop it from having its appreciators.

Some people only care what the car looks like and not how it performs. Thus, we get people who buy Firebirds with 6-cyl motors, and others who go for the flaming chicken decals. Its the age-old question of form versus function: do you have real substance, or are you a shallow poseur?

In any event, the only part of the car that gathers any "ugly" comments is the rear hatch view, and the only people who see that side are the ones buried in the car's dust. Maybe their real complaint is about the dust, not the car :-)

YMMV.

-hh
  • Options
    motokichimotokichi Member Posts: 48
    I prefer the look of this coupe to everything else on the M-B lot. Definitely better looking than a C-Sedan.

Odd maybe, but it is not UGLY. UGLY is the CTS, Avalanche, AZTEK, Echo...

I also never got the impression that this car was cheap. This is definitely no GM, Hyundai, KIA, DAEWOO, or the IS300.
  • Options
    He has an affliction of Bimmer snobbery and bad spelling/grammer. His comments in other forums are one liners, meant to insite and offer no useful information, much like his childish comment here. Like motokicki so stated, the C230 is NOT cheap but may look a bit odd. Beauty as we all know, is in the eye of the beholder.
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Yes, it's best to pay no attention to certain types of negative comments. Also, keep in mind that responding to negative posts with personal jabs is not a good idea... as that often creates more unwanted posts.

And now, back to the subject of the MB C230. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    I'll confine my remarks to my mind and not succumb to the temptation of putting fingers to the keys...
    jjpeter
  • Options
    alika21alika21 Member Posts: 7
    I am not sorry that car sucks
  • Options
    djtopperdjtopper Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks,

So I'm reading these boards and find people saying things about "electronic" troubles and whatnot. I am unable to find any literature like this online though. The C class has gotten rave reviews all over the place.

But I'm hesitant to buy a car with potential electrical difficulty. I keep cars 10+ years and don't think I should be forced into an extended warranty. All that fiber optic and electrical on the C230 seems nice, but worries me in the long term.

Links, URLs, please?

DT
  • Options
    Look at the sedan board "Mercedes C Class" in the 5105 range. Other than there, I have not read about problems with the C Class. MB swears that there have been no reported glitches with the 230, but the sedan board postings make that sound like wishful thinking. Let us know if you find any additional information.
  • Options
    I got the information from Consumer Reports. They keep detailed records. www.consumerreports.org You need to subscribe. It's 4 bucks a month -- and you can cancel at any time. I would not buy a car with looking at it.
  • Options
    djtopperdjtopper Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks,

Well, I've done a little more research. Consumer Reports does show the C class as reliable in some aspects. The main glitch seems to be electrical. This scares me. The last thing I want is some major system to go down after the warranty.

The C class seems to rely heavily on fiber optic technology. At least according to dealers I've spoken with, that's how lots of the electrical on the car works (eg., CD player). In theory, this is a good idea. In practice, it's pretty new technology for cars. I think I might wait and see how the 2002 trouble reports look before jumping in.

My Acura has *never* given me any trouble and I've driven it hard for 12 years and 115k miles. It's still a great car right now. I don't want to "upgrade" to something that's going to force me to drive to the shop.

DT
  • Options
    The C230k is so much fun and such a pleasure to drive. It's a trade-off. If you are really concerned buy an extended warrenty.

So you know, I love my car more and more everyday. Never felt that way about my Honda.

Cheers,

Beth
  • Options
    The car was delivered ~1.5 weeks ahead of schedule, so I had to take delivery this week (*sigh!* :-). All in all, from time of custom-order to physical delivery in the States was only ~6 weeks, which is quite an impressive turn around.

Delivery went fine. I haven't had much time to fine-tooth-comb the car, but I did find one mechanics wipe rag in the front radiator grill while a coworker and I were trying to figure out the routing of the air intake/filter/charger/etc. Is there an intercooler under the bumper in front of the radiator? There's also a trombone-type cooler in the front as well... probably oil.

I've been finding some quirks, such as that the owner's manual doesn't fit very well in the glove box (typical!), and that the computer display on the dashboard is initially very distracting to me when driving after sunset.

OTOH, I don't see why anyone has been complaining about the "agricultural" noise level of the engine: its fine as far as I'm concerned.

I've also found that my cloth seats are a bit firmer than the leather I test drove in the center cushion. IMO, this is generally a plus. It does effectively reduce the seat's side bolstering a little bit, but it also means that my belt-clipped cellphone doesn't get crunched into the same. The overall good fit & ergonomics of the seating pocket became evident today when I drove my Saab to work this AM (its snowing this AM and I don't have snows yet).

Coworkers were impressed with the comfort/ride, back seat room, and the Bordeaux color has been favorably received. During our lunch run yesterday, my highway velocity choice was completely ignored, which confirms its highway cruising and tracking.

-hh

PS: tommyp13...how much did EuroTire charge you for the snows/rims?
  • Options
    did you get the C7 wheels?

• Options
    Sorry, I thought I had mentioned my configuration. Here it is:

Metallic Paint (Bordeaux)
    C4 - heated seats
    C7 - 17" wheels

That's it. After Delivery, Title/Tags, Doc Fee, 6% NJ sales tax, and a 3.5% MSRP discount, the final drive-away price was $28.6K.

BTW, if anyone's in NJ looking for a salesman who will sell the C230K (or other MB's) for 3.5% under MSRP, my salesman was Mr. Reid Smith at Intercar in Newton, NJ. Good, professional experience all the way around, plus I also have a good inside line that the Service Department is top notch.

-hh
  • Options
    beautiful car... congratulations! Enjoy it!

• Options
    Where's Newtown? Is that central or southern Jersey?

• Options
    Where's Newtown? Is that central or southern Jersey?

Neither. Newton (note the spelling) is in northern NJ, up in Sussex County.

From the intersection of I-80 and I-287 (near Morristown, NJ; which is not to be confused with Moorstown in Southern Jersey), figure roughly an hour, first driving I-80W and then going North on Rt 15.

If you're familiar with the "Mountain Creek" ski area (formerly known as Vernon Valley/Great Gorge ski area), it is nearby.

FWIW, I believe that Mountain Creek advertises themselves as "less than 2 hours from NYC".

-hh
  • Options
    I know where Mountain Creek is. Thanks huntzinger. I juts wasn't familiar with the town. Thanks!

• Options
    tommyp13tommyp13 Member Posts: 146
    Good to see that you got your car, and that you're happy with it. Though it's not Orion, so it's not perfect. :-)

The package that Bill got for me cost a little over $800 with tax, but of course, I don't think that I really had any time this past winter to actually use it. If you want the actual figure, I can post it tomorrow (receipt is in glove box, and it's too damn cold to go out and get it).

Are you following the break-in recommendations, or blowing them off? I did the 1k break-in, but others think that it's overkill.
  • Options
    $800 is a close enough SWAG.

I'm currently following common sense for the break-in, as I haven't yet had the time to sit down and digest the owner's manual.

Insofar as the color/etc, the ironic thing is that as I was taking the car in through security this AM, I was greeted with a "Hey, this is Mike's car!" Turns out that one of our Security guards had also just picked up a C230K, same exact color...he's working the 12 to 12 shift, so I'll drop by for a visit later.

-hh
  • Options
    jcklaijcklai Member Posts: 1
    Can someone give me the midrange acceleration spec for this C-coupe (230)? I am referring to the 80km-120km/hr specs, or 50-70mph spec (if you convert km/h or mph...). This is the number I am interested in, I don't really care about 0-60mph or 0-100km/h sec since the differences among the sports coupes are so little (6.0 vs 6.5, does it really matter? Do we try 0-60 at red light all the time?)

THanks
  • Options
    Gives the C230 great low-midrange punch for say passing or darting in and out of traffic. I don't know what the #s are, but drive it and you'll see it fits your needs just fine.

This discussion has been closed.