Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2005 and earlier

pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
edited December 2013 in Mitsubishi
Here is the new place to discuss the Mitsubishi Eclipse 2-door hatchback (GS, GT, and/or RS). Thanks for your participation.

Pocahontas
Host
Hatchbacks Message Board

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmunds' Reviews of the 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse and 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Thanks for your comments.

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board
  • red99gstred99gst Member Posts: 1
    First off I love this car (99 GST). Great power, etc. Your not going to find a better performing car for this kind of money. I got mine for $16000 with 24000 miles on it only a year and half old. I know not every one will get such a sweet price, but it should be relativly close.

But for as long as I've owned it, it has been rather loud at idle. I know it might just be the lower compresion of the 2.0L Turbo engine @8.5, but I haven't listened to other Turbo owners' motors. I've recently owned (within the last year) a 97 Celica and a 94 300ZX, and neither of these cars that were olded and had more miles on them were as noisy. It doesn't sound like somethings banging around or anything, and the motor revs flawlessly all the to redline @ 7000. It's just that I can stand at least 25 feet away and still hear my car running. Maybe it just needs it'd 30K mile service (I'm at 27800 now). Any suggestions or is this normal?
    Thanks for your input. If you don't get a response to your question in the nest day or two, you should try posting your message on our Maintenance and Repair Board. In addition, there's an Eclipse Engine upgrade discussion on our Accessories & Aftermarket board where you might find some helpful information about your engine idling....

Good luck and please keep us posted... on what you find out. We look forward to hearing more about your Eclipse ownership experience. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board
  • SPYDER98SPYDER98 Member Posts: 239
    Our cars are definitely not the quietest on the road. Unfortunately their not the best "quaility" manufactured cars either. Mitsubishi is known for putting out buggy products, hence their shaky reputation for reliability.

I have the same drive drivetrain as you do and my car is'nt too quiet either. My engine ticks (lifters), valves sound like there chattering. (Probably just need adjusting)

My advice to you is...find another talon or eclipse "turbo" out there and check if its just as loud as yours. Don't compare to a none turbo model, these cars have dodge neon engines in them that have nothing in common with the 4g63 4cyl turbo.

This will at least give you the peace of mind knowing its not just "your" car.
  • coreyuscoreyus Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2001 GT and we totally love it! Every option (including - brushed aluminum fuel door). It has 550 miles on it now - so far so great!. Before this - I have a "92 Talon AWD TSI - I traded that in with 49k miles on it - that too was a total gem. I figured it was time to upgrade - and wow are we glad we did. We were looking at going with the Audi TT AWD for 43k. When we looked at the GT and compared the "value" for the dollar - for 20k less and 0.9% for 5 years - it was a "no brainer". FOr those of you considering a new Eclipse - go for it! And make sure you get the GT. Does anyone know a site for after market parts and MOD ideas for the 2001's?
    "Does anyone know a site for after market parts and MOD ideas for the 2001's?"

You may want to check out this Sports Cars Message Board discussion: Bolt-On Mods...More Horses or More Bull? Good luck.

We look forwarding to hearing more about your ownership experience. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board

• cjcpjkcjcpjk Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know the 0-60 times for a 2001 Eclipse GS 5 speed?
  • litekniteliteknite Member Posts: 1
    I remember reading somewhere that it's 6.8 for the GT...
    A GS 5sp will probably be between the 8-9 second range. The GT 5sp I've seen between 6.8-7.1 seconds.
  • tiffanittiffanit Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone out there knows if you can use snow chains/cables on the 2000 Eclipse? The owner's manual says that you should not use chains because it may damage the car. Has anyone out there used snow chains/cables on the Eclipse, and if so, did it damage the car?
  • jasonuofajasonuofa Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a new car in the next month and want to kow what people think of this car, if they own a 2000 or 2001. My primary concerns are reliability, performance, and handling.
  • darrellaharrisdarrellaharris Member Posts: 1
    I have had my silver loaded GT now for 4 months. No problems, I also have a 90 Plymoth Laser (11 years)had many problems. I paid $26K for the new one $36K after loan value added in ($620 a month). I love the new sound of the engine. No rattles or noises and I am picky. The dealer is fantastic in support (for the Laser thats why I went back for a new one). The 2001 top end after the 3500 mile break in is about 120 mph (the Laser with 127,000 miles will still do 135 mph with turbo its quicker). Can't beat the handling on lake roads. I haven't made it slide yet and I have tried. The anti-lock brakes saved a crash last week, but it sounded like I was sliding on gravel. The owners manual said it should sound that way. As long as they worked is all that counts. I got the car with no down payment, no interest, no payments for the first year. The trick is to pay it off in one year.
  • redeclipseredeclipse Member Posts: 2
    I have had a "95 eclipse, automatic. My problem began when I was driving, suddenly my engine died. I took my car a workshop, and I got a wire and connection to ECM repaired. Later my car give another problem. Every time I drive my car in a trafic jam, I know that I am in trouble. I hit the brake and the car was running slowly. My idle was getting lower and lower and the engine died. I must have put my transmission in neutral position, otherwise my engine died. I would like to ask to anybody about this problem and how to solve it. I went to three workshop. All of the couldn't find the problem.
    Thank you so much.
  • perucyperucy Member Posts: 2
  • perucyperucy Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone heard anything about a recall in the se Eclipses due to transmission problems? My friend recieved aletter in the mail (he has a Gallant) stating this, but I haven't heard anything yet and my transmission just went (though I did have 129,000 miles on the car.)
    Please let me know
    Try new spark plugs and wires. Maybe a fuel injection cleaning too. I've seen similar problems like this numerous times with these cars. It always ended up being the wires.
  • mustang76cobramustang76cobra Member Posts: 2
    I am considering getting a new (actually used) car. It's a '98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS. It has 31,123 miles on it and they are asking $14,680 for it. It has alot of accessories which I can email or post to anybody who wants them. What I really want to know: Is this a good deal? Does anybody recommend this or have any suggestions? Well thanks for your help. -mustang76cobra
    Good deal? I would say no. If the car is fully loaded and is in exceptional condition, your still paying about market value at best.
    Try using edmunds used car value section to do an appraisol on the car.
    It'll give you an idea on what the cars worth.
  • mustang76cobramustang76cobra Member Posts: 2
    I meant a '99 but would that change anything?
  • mweinbergmweinberg Member Posts: 1
    I am looking far a used car and am looking for some help. I am deciding between a 97 GS-T or a celica. Obviously, the performance aspects of the GS-T are superior, but I am concerned about reliability. I am a college student, and I cannot pay to repair a lot of big ticket items. I would love to have any comments.
    Yes that would help. As long as the car is in excellent condition, fully loaded, its being sold by a "dealer" not private owner and your financing it. That would be a fair price now, in my opinion.
    I bought a spyder gst new back in 98. I love the looks and peformance of this car and to this day still would'nt give it up for any other "sports coupe" on the market. Unfortunately...the trade does come in with reliablity. Some people have had good luck with their eclipse's..some have'nt though. The celica is obviously a more reliable vehicle.

I can sense you have concerns about reliability. In that case I would recommend the celica.
    Or to rest assure with the eclipse, I would strongly advise purchasing an extended warranty which will give you the peace of mind if something ever does go wrong with the car, it come out of your pocket.

Hope this helps..
    ~Rob
  • redeclipseredeclipse Member Posts: 2
    I just want to thank you about your advice. I do appreciate that.
    I had my spark plugs and wires replaced. So far so good. I'm going to get my oxygen censor replaced. Now I'm very sure that I don't have to sell my car. Thank you again.
    Your very welcome. Glad to see my advice actually come through...for a change :)
  • valfordvalford Member Posts: 1
    Looking at 94 Eclipse GS, 64,000 miles, appears to be good condition. What should I be looking for or at in this model? Any advice will be appreciated, such as performance, etc. Model is automatic. Not sure of engine size.
  • mitsugstmitsugst Member Posts: 41
    I have an ad in the paper, and in an online classifieds (free) for my Eclipse. The free classifieds reads:

http://www.austin360.com/classifieds/ad_viewsinglead_deligator.jsp?AD_ID=263397

"FOR SALE : Fast and Furious Car: Turbo Eclipse

'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST, the exact year, make, model, and trim line of the car in the movie, driven by Brian(Paul Walker). Red. 5-speed. Immaculate. One owner, well cared for, garaged, 105K miles. Fully loaded. Factory options include moonroof, spoiler, premium wheels, CD changer, keyless entry alarm. No modifications, all factory, ready for hotroding/ customization as needed. Selling for under book value, $8400 obo. Must sell. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100K mile maintenance done: A/C,timing,brakes,tires, water pump, battery. All Maintenance records kept. Many extras including a water-impermeable/breathable car-cover."

What do you guys think? Too much info? Good price? Bad price? I did my price study by looking at other comparable Eclipse's, kbb.com, and Edmunds TMV for used cars.

I also have a tow hitch I used to tow a waverunner (I didn't include it because someone might think it's incapable and might hurt it, although it was authorized by you name it). It's the kind that you can take the end piece and ball of and be unnoticeable.

I also have a nose mask. Again, people might think I kept it on all the time and ruined the pain. I actually only used it for trips to protect from rocks and bugs.

Finally I also have a Chiltons repair manual (for easy replacement of the battery, spark plugs, and window adjustments), aftermarket wheels (I bought while the factory wheels where getting re-done due to warping), a Bazooka bass tube, and a K&N. The aftermarket wheels and Bazooka are not included in the price. I'll sell them only if the buyer is interested ($1000 and $300), since they both work well in my new car, and I have other potential buyers.

Also, if anyone here is interested, I also know of an auto-transporter that does it guaranteed for under $400)

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    "With the car's 2003 changes, the Eclipse should improve in our eyes, and sales will likely continue to be strong."

Read the full story here: 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Brent Romans. And let us know what you think. Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • 759397759397 Member Posts: 79
    to this car. The old GSX & GS-T were great vehicles. Lots of potential but very respectable in their stock trim. The redesigned it and added a V6 and the performance actually declined from what I've seen. When the stock GS-T was running mid 6 secs to 60 this porker is running low to mid 7's with the V6. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What were they thinking and will they fix it?
  • daryl_jdaryl_j Member Posts: 13
    I am looking at buying a 97 Spyder, white with 64k miles. The dealer wants $9998. think its a good deall? no abs. 5 spd. any comments?
    Have you had a chance to check out Edmunds' Used Vehicle Appraiser? This will give you the average cost (not lowest) that people are paying in your region. Others here may have more to add. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Revka, thanks... yes the price is about $700 less than Edmund's average price. Have u noticed that edmund's prices are about $2000 less on average form Kelley Blue Book listings?
    Sounds like you have a good deal on your hands. You may also want do a background check to make sure it's not being discounted for wrong reasons. You'll find a direct link to Carfax (vehicle history reports) on the left side of the page.

You said: "Have u noticed that edmund's prices are about $2000 less on average form Kelley Blue Book listings?

Interesting point. Here's an Edmunds' article about the KBB pricing that you may find interesting. And now back to the subject of the Mitsubishi Eclipse. Happy shopping!

Revka
    Host
    revka, thanks again for your input. i did purchase the 97 spyder after they agreed to fix a couple things. i test compared the spyder to an RS and the 2.3L motor has a little for pep than the 2.0L.

funny about the kelley blue book article... i found out there are indexes and references that dealers use that are evern higher than KBB. the finance guy mentioned a "black book" and N.A.D.A. he said i got the car for wholesale according to NADA. confusing eh? i suppose only time will tell if i got a good deal.
    and congrats on your Eclipse Spyder! So when will you be taking delivery? We look forward to hearing about your ownership experience....

"car for wholesale according to NADA. confusing eh?"

Fyi, the N.A.D.A. is the National Automobile Dealers Association. You can also find their information online if you want to confirm your dealer's information. And now back to the subject of the Mitsubishi Eclipse. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    revka, i took delivery of the car on saturday. nice car. very responsive in every way. one design flaw with the top i noticed. when it rains and you open the door the water pours onto the seat on both sides. this is definitely a car made for good weather. the dealer says this is normal. hmmmm... makes you wonder. the power antena is being fixed by the dealer at no charge. i guess i'll be posting in future on the spyder page since its not a hatchback. thanks for all the help!
    enjoy your new Eclipse! And yes, you should participate in our Spyder discussion. Also, feel free to join in this discussion if you think you have any insights that might help others passing though here.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • loarloar Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2000 Eclipse GT, and we hear this little rattle at speeds of about 25 mph or less when driving over the usual bumps on neighborhood streets.

The rattle seems like it's coming from somewhere in the front, right section of the car.

Tried checking all the little tubes in the engine compartment, putting rubber spacers in the ones that looked like they might make contact with the body, put towels in various areas to shield parts of the engine interior from the hood, including wrapping up the hood pole (or whatever you call it!), also tightened some loose bolts here and there, including door bolts, tried with windows down, sun roof open, and all sorts of other things.

The dealer tightened the struts a while back when we first noticed the rattle, but I'm not sure that had any effect. If it helped, the rattle is back!

Any suggestions? It's just a little rattle that only happens occasionally at slow speeds while driving over bumps or Bots dots. It's not constant.

Russ
  • newdriver5newdriver5 Member Posts: 1
    My next door neighboor is selling her 1996 Eclipse GT for $7000. It has about 30,000 miles on it and needs no major repairs. If anyone can comment on their safety, upkeep, and price it'd be greatly appreciated.
  • jeepster4jeepster4 Member Posts: 53
    If this is a GST, with 30,000 miles, the price is good. Be aware that this is a high performance turbo sportscar and the insurance rates will be higher, particulary if you are under 25 years old. Many of the 5 speed turbos from generation 2 of the Eclipse turbo had a problem with crankshaft bearings that would show up at 60,000-70,000 miles. Get an extended service policy from a reputable source. The car looks great and is a blast to drive. I'm on my third Eclipse/Talon and have enjoyed them highly.
  • waidadawaidada Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a eclipse, where do u live? I live in chicago... hahahha if we live close together I might be able to make a deal w/ ur neighbor.. hahaha~ what color is it? Thanks for replying~
  • rusho1rusho1 Member Posts: 1
    im looking to buy a 93' eclipse:any good and bad info about the car?
  • keegan3keegan3 Member Posts: 2
    i am going to buy a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS. while this car has no turbo, i am sure it will sure be fast because it is registered for 160. that's not the point though. it has 139,000 miles, no spoiler, and no cd player...other than that, the car is perfect. no paint scratches, to dents, new tires, no torn/ripped interior...it's really nice. anyways, she wants $3,500.00 for the car, and i didn't know if that was too much or not. if someone knows, then please send me an email or contact me through this, because i'd REALLY appreciate it... [email protected]
    Have you tried using Edmunds' Used Vehicle Appraiser? This will give you the average cost that others are paying in your region. Others here may have more to add. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • keegan3keegan3 Member Posts: 2
    hey...i found out tonight that the eclipse also has a SLIGHT oil leak...and when i say slight, i mean 2 quarts a month. i think that this is somehow worth it though. let me know what you think revka.
    just because the speedo registers upto 160, doesn't mean the car is fast.
    The turbo gst's top out at only 130 due to a limiter.
    Even the GSX can barely reach 140 with 210hp.

Just my 2 cents..
  • rberardrberard Member Posts: 22
    My daughter will be 16 next year. She has had her heart set on a silver eclipse for the past two years now. I keep telling her that she may be disappointed. Are insurance rates higher for all eclipse models? I also worry about the safety of smaller vehicles. We spent about $17000.00 on our son's truck(used-3 years ago) when he got his driver's license and plan on spending the same for her. As I told my son, he would have been better off getting a new, less expensive vehicle. He now has about 75,000 miles and we have no intention of buying him another vehicle. I have had a Mitsubishi Montero for two years now and have been happy with it. Have you Eclipse owners been happy with your vehicles? Whatever we buy for her - it will have to last.
  • paddemannen18paddemannen18 Member Posts: 1
    I have thinking of buying a Eclipse. But am not so interested in the Power. I am more into styling.
    Which is the best Eclipse? I want it really nice.
    pleazze help me.
    //Paddy
    The styling of the 95-99 eclipses was very attractive compared to other cars in its price range. Even the new eclipse is still rather attractive. Although I personally prefer the look of the previous model.
    Insurance rates were definitely higher on turbo models which were last available in 99.
    They should all be about equal with the new models. The GT maybe slightly higher due to the V6.

If you can find a low mileage late model eclipse at a good price, I would take a chance. Mitsubishi has made strides with reliability in the newer eclipses. Plus the strong depreciation hit these cars take make them a good used car value after a couple years.
  • sk8erpunk56sk8erpunk56 Member Posts: 2
    i just bought a 1991 gsx, and i was wondering what modifications i should make before i race it!