Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2005 and earlier

Comments

• spyderman3spyderman3 Member Posts: 3
    Look for a leak in the flex pipe.
  • pratzertpratzert Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2002 GT and need to re-adjust the wiper arm position.

There is a cap nut at the base of the wiper arm. Do I have to remove this nut or can I just lift the wiper off and move it?

Thanks for your help.

Tim
  • summagirlsummagirl Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 GS and when it rains water leaks onto my drivers floor and leaves a huge puddle.It is coming from under the carpet we do know that. We have checked every where for the leak, the door, the firewall, the window everthing. We have even taken a hose and sprayed it every direction at the car and it never leaked in. I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem and figured out where it is coming from. Or if anyone has any ideas, I'm open. Thank you
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    oldstyle2, I've moved your post to our existing Accessories & Modifications topic, where I hope you'll get an answer quickly.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• kenfroozzedkenfroozzed Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: ">i recently did a motor sap on my 92 GS and now i am gettin no spark to my plugs. I have replaced plugs and wires, all eleticanl connections in the engine compartment are hooked up all grounds are secure. I have checked the crank sensor its good checked the time its good and now i believe that my ignition coils are bad because i have checked all 4 plug-ins with a test light and got nuthin i have power goin to the coils but not comin out......PLZZZ LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS :confuse:
  • misty24misty24 Member Posts: 2
    hey guys, i have an 01 eclipse gt. Since i bought the car about a year ago i have had problems with the headlights being really dim. We bought some hyperwhite bulbs (i believe is what they were called) trying to fix the problem. What i am wondering is, are these cars known for electrical problems? I have to run fog lights all the time to even see the road right now. My interior rearview mirror lights just recently stopped working...reason still unknown. Anyone with answers will be greatly appreciated!
  • mitsubisianmitsubisian Member Posts: 1
    i have a 92 eclipse and i need a motor and mine is a 1.8 non turbo manual trans so do you think you could sell me the motor
  • rivermo22rivermo22 Member Posts: 8
    Can someone point me in the right direction of a website or give me some detailed instructions on how to remove the dash and console for a satellite radio install?

Thanks
  • te1963te1963 Member Posts: 13
    I just replaced the battery in my 2000 Eclipse GT. 2 days later the engine would not turn over. It acted like a dead battery. Later that day, When I turned the key 3 times in quick succession, the engine started. What could be the problem? Connections on the battery are not badly corroded and the connections are tight. Could the cables simply be old and need replaced? Thanks for any advice
  • bonedaddy659bonedaddy659 Member Posts: 1
    If it's only on the drivers side you might want to check the drain hose attached to the evaporator for you air conditioner. It's going to be behind the gas pedal under the carpet. The evaporator is the part of your air conditioner that gets cold and creates condensation. The housing around it catches the water and drains it through the fire wall if the hose is stopped up then it well leak either at the fire wall or the housing itself. Good luck.
  • fordhorrorfordhorror Member Posts: 20
    How do I find out if a 97 eclipse RS has a chrysler engine or MITS engine? VIN # , Engine series??
    am planning to buy one.
    Thanks for the response. Now I don't know alot so, the water gets in my car only when it rains really bad out and it is setting. So is that still possible it is what you think. It might be coming from my back too. My back drivers side gets around 2 inches of water when it rains. We have ripped the carpet up but have not seen any sign of where it is coming in. I just rarely use my AC so I wasn't sure. Let me know if you think it could still be that hose. Thanks.
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    The non-turbo Eclipses from 1995-1999 (such as yours) have Chrysler engines. Check out wikipedia.com and search on Mitsubishi Eclipse.
    Does you Eclipse have a sunroof? And when you get the leak, is the car parked fairly level or is it on somewhat of an incline?
  • cperk05cperk05 Member Posts: 1
    ! Yeah I have a 92 Gs Eclips turbo, automatic w/102k and whenever it's in gear or I give it gas white smoke comes out. It has been sitting for bout month and a half, everything runs good but just the smoke prob. I was wondering if any one knew what i'm up against? Cracked Block? Condinsation? Tune up? :cry:
  • meltedwhiskymeltedwhisky Member Posts: 3
    I am reading this thread with great interest because I am having a similar problem with my 2000 Eclipse RS (no sunroof).

My driver's side front floor (footwell) has been getting some kind of water intrusion. The pad on the underside of the carpet gets saturated. I also noticed the foam-rubber-backed mat that mounts up against the cab side of the firewall has filled with water like a sponge. I noticed this once before, last fall. I had to periodically lift the carpet and let it dry. The problem seemed to go away but it re-emerged last month. It has not affected the passenger side at all.

I do not know if this is due to problem with AC condensate drain tube or if rain is getting in through the firewall or windshield somehow. I tried the hose spray test and did not notice leakage from that. I have been running without the AC lately (and it's way hot here in SC) just to see if problem went away and it seems to have. I will check the AC tube today and see if I can repair or unblock it if that is the problem.

Normally I park either on flat (at work) or pointing uphill (at home). Rains alot here esp in summer so I dont know if maybe parking uphill might be causing the problem in some way.

As for Summagirl's car, Eclipses have a bad problem with the weep holes in the body along either side of the rear hatch. Problem is: they clog very easily and then they dont drain off the water that accumulates there. Water will build up in the body channels along each side of the hatch and if you park pointing downhill, water will spill into car and will soak your back seat, rear floor and front floor as well. I learned that the hard way when my car was less than 1 year old and I had to tear the interior apart to dry it all out so mold/mildew wouldn't form. So never park your Eclipse on a downhill if it is going to get rained on.
    Sorry for the lengthy post. Any further advice or postings on this annoying result of Mitsubishi's bad body design are greatly appreciated.
    Take a look at the Maintenance & Repair forum. Once there, search on "water leak" and you'll find a lengthy discussion. Hope there's some useful info for you there.

jetta_julie, "Water Leaks---How to Find and Fix" #1, 27 Feb 2004 5:49 pm
  • rakadisciplerakadisciple Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, I just bought my Eclipse RS from a guy for only 1000 dollars. I didnt expect much considering the price. But im happy with it. The reason im posting however is that I have found one serious problem with it. There is a crack on the part at the end of the hose that goes into the radiator. It bubbles and leaks coolant onto the radiator. I havent had any heating problems with it yet but hey i JUST got this car. I was wondering if anyone had this problem or if they know of a fix other than replacing the entire radiator.
    Thx for ANY help
  • mrnew2mrnew2 Member Posts: 6
    get some kind of radiator sealant and you might have to replace the radiator itself if it keeps up. Or you will need a new radiator coolant hose (dont remember what its called)
    Baiscs of the car.
    95 eclipse RS
    5 Spd manual
    2.0L non-turbo
    DOHC engine

Alright,
    Well its a 95 RS(as you know) and i know of a talon tht i can strip but i need to kno what to strip first. But the problem is when I start the car the RPM's go up to about 1000 and than drop to about 100 and almost kill the car(doesnt happen all the time just here and there and ive put a fuel system cleaner in it and it hasnt done it has much,rarely now), but some how the car picks it up and revs the engine its self (i dont know how and its not a joke) to about 2000 or 1500 rpms to save it from dieing???
    other than tht i dont have problems with my eclipse, Its been a great car so far and ive had it for about 3 weeks and the breaks on them (not sure if there moded or not) you will learn to LOVE in time. Saved my butt 3 or 4 good times, but can anyone please help me with this problem.
    any advice or help would be greatfully accepted.
    I have a manual repair book about the eclipse and talon from teardown to rebuild (95-01) and it is of no help right now because i cant pin point it. But my father (im 17) is tellin me it might be a bad oxygen sensor.
    thanks for any of the help you can give me.
    This is the exact engine i have. If you look right above the radiator u can see the hose that goes into the radiator and then a hose clamp around the hose and this other thing that appears to be plastic and gets wider right before entering the radiator.Thats what has a crack across the front, and thats where the leak is. I need to be able to fix the actual plastic so that it will still keep the pressure, and liquids inside. Hope this makes things a little more clear but I dont think the sealant would do the job.
    Well.
    I have a 95 RS and raced a ford contour SVT (98) tht had dual camshafts and i was about 5 car lenghts behind. and im wondering if my engine is stock or not (just got it about 3 weeks ago and havent checked it out yet)
    basics of both cars
    eclipse.
    4 banger
    2.0L DOHC engine
    5 spd manual.

Contour SVT
    V6
    2.4 DOHC engine
    dual camshafts
    5 spd manual.

we started the race at about a 25-30 MPH roll.
    If it was 1/8 mile off a line than i would have taken it but im just wondering about my engine.
    can anyone help, or tell me about what it would be running in HP
    I dont know. I have the same car so Ill go and look at what your talkin about in the morning. I have a repair manual and i can look real quick. im pretty sure it has to do with the radiator so, ill go look and than ill reply back or email you to let you know
    alright,
    a few basics.
    its a 4 banger 2.0
    do you have a turbo thrown on to it. Looks like you do but i could be wrong.
    But from what i understand the radiator in a car has alot to do with pressure and power.
    But i need a pic of where it is cracked(exactly) and rather u have a turbo.
    You might just need a new radiator. But its to dark for me to check my car and look where it is. Ill also ask my dad what he thinks. Ill show him the website URL with the pic and tell him, he is a mech. and knows his [non-permissible content removed] (im just 17 so....i dont kno if you would rather take advice from me or not.)
    ok then, well i do not have a turbo in it and I realize that the main problem with the thing is that pressure is being lost and my dad doesnt want me to roll the dice and drive it anyway. I also have another problem now tho. my clutch is making a loud screeching that last until i put the clutch back in. Me and my dad think its the clutch bearings, but were not familiar with any import cars so I wanted to bring that up here too.
  • steamboat26steamboat26 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I am looking into buying my first car, and the 95-99 Eclipse has always been a car I have been interested in.
    I found an ad for someone who is selling a '99 Eclipse RS Automatic with 154,000 miles. He just got new tires for it, changed the oil, flushed the transmission, got new brakes, and got a new battery. He is asking $4000, but it is slightly negotiable.
    First of all, is it worth it, given the relatively high miles? I am looking (like most people) for a car that won't need too much maintenance; what is the track record for the '99 Eclipse?
    It is due for inspection, and he said he would be willing to have me run the car through inspection before buying it. Should I just take it to a mechanic and have him assess the vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • ttguy1979ttguy1979 Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed blue smoke coming from the exhaust pipe after any moderate to hard run the past 10k miles. I have a 1998 Eclipse GST with the 4G63 engine. There is no oil on the spark plugs, no oil in the water, and no water in the oil. I was told that a compression test might help me see what is wrong. Is there anything else anyone might be able to suggest? I dont want this car to break on me.
  • twinetwine Member Posts: 1
    My Eclipse recently had its A/C belt break causing the timing belt to stop. Quote from Mitsu dealer is $2100 to start to replace cylinder head and A/C belt. The quote could be higher once someone gets inside and assesses the damage.

Any idea on what the selling value for this would be. Other than this, the car is in great shape, 5 speed, black with leather interior. It has 123K miles on it. Looking at some used car sales sites, I would likely sell for around $7,000 if new, so am thinking I would sell for about $5000 in current situation.

Any suggestions or comments on my situation?

Thanks!

Twine
  • jarelstjarelst Member Posts: 1
    i keep looking for a complete exhaust re build kit( headers thru tip for my 95 eclipse and i keep getting resulsts for "cat back systems" where can i find everything i need listed in one catagory without peicing the parts together?
  • alexbtz1221alexbtz1221 Member Posts: 1
    Hi i hope someone can help me out....i have a 98 eclipse GS and since i bought it, the engine has been shaking (rough idle) obviously it goes away when the car is being driven but if im at a light or parked with the engine on, it shakes really bad. i dont know what i can do or what the problem might be. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, alex
  • fudfud Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I have a 99 RS and I've experiencing lots of problems with the rotors. Since I got the car in 99, I've replaced the thing 5 times. It keeps getting warped. Mechanic says problem is with the car, rotor too small. WTH??? Anyone having rotor problems like mine? The car shakes when going above 65mph and when breaking...

Thanks!
  • eagleghettoeagleghetto Member Posts: 1
    When my car is idleing it feels like it is runnin quite rough and feels like it wants to die. when i drive the car and go to put it in neutral from being in gear it actually shuts off,( doesnt matter if im moving or not). can u give me any ideas on what it could be?? email me at eagleghetto@yahoo.com

thank u very much
  • tara_obtara_ob Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2005 eclipse spyder gt yesterday!!!! I'm so excited! I never even considered this car, but fell in love with it at dealership. (It was also the first car I looked at, slightly impulsive buy :)

Should I put high octane gas in it? Will it really affect the performance? Gas is sooo expensive in San Diego, but I want to treat my new car with the love that it deserves!

Suggestions????
  • cemincercemincer Member Posts: 2
    I drive a 98 Mitsubishi Eclipse Rs Standard - when I'm in 1st or 2nd gear there is a "squeaking" from the front left - it almost sounds like an old mattress squeaking when I got over bumps or turn the wheel too sharply. Any ideas on what this could be? It just started happening and I am clueless
  • rxpx40rxpx40 Member Posts: 10
    Your turbo has bad seals. The oil from the intercooler is getting into your intake. Check your oil regularly. timsturbos.com can rebuild your turbo. He claims to make it better than OEM once he rebuilds it. $350.

Chris - with the same problem.
    My '99 GST has returned an error code P0442-Evap control system leak(small). The clymer manual (which really sucks) can tell me where the evap canister is on every year model except mine. Who can tell me where to find the evap canister?

thanks
    Chris
    Only in first or second and only when you hit bumps? It would seem to me that if it were suspension (ie strut) then the sound would happen with every bump. Maybe above 2nd gear the car is making too much noise for you to hear it. If it is a constant squeal while moving slowly, it could be your brake pads. There is a small metal tang that contacts the brake disc before your pads are completely worn out, thus saving your disc from ruin. One way to make sure is to press on the brake pedal. The squeal will stop.
    If it is your strut squeaking, you should be able to recreate the noise by standing next to the front left wheel and pressing down, pulling up on the fender well area and try to 'bounce' the car. Your strut will squeak if it is the problem.

Good luck
    Chris
  • drtokerdrtoker Member Posts: 1
    Greetings.

I'm mega noob to this whole auto thing. I'm an IT Professional, and avid Gamer. Cars were never really my thing. But it seems as though things have changed.

I have a 2000 Eclipse GT with 124k. I am having some trouble that seems to have come out of no where. On Monday,I noticed that I was leaking transmission fluid, so I have been monitoring that and replacing when needed. I scheduled to have my mech take a look on Friday, Im thinking perhaps the seals are messed up.

But... this is not the main problem. I noticed yesterday, that when I come to a stop (in drive) the idle will freak out and start trying to die. If i let it idle in drive it will eventually die, but starts up easily. If i throw it in Nutral, and rev the motor it stays running (its not alternator problem). Part of me feels this could have something to do with the fuel system, Im not sure this behaviour has anything to do with the ATF leak, but i thought id mention it for good measure.

PS> I wonder if i could just raise the idle as a workaround until i can get to the mech tomarrow.
  • 1sttigerlady1sttigerlady Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000, Eclipse that has been leaking water into the interior of car more more than a year. I have atleast 1/2 inch of water in front & back floor boards. I finally took it to a repair shop & have been told the the water is leaking in thru the body seams because of a poor design. They took out the seats, console, dashboard & all the carpeting. You can actually see the water tickling in if water is poured on the outside of the car. I've looked for any defect reports & recalls & have found nothing. Has anyone else experienced this & passed it off as something else? I'm on a limited income & it's going to cost me well over $600 on a car I'm still paying on. I've never had a car do this before & I've had some oddball things happen. Anybody?
    I have a 2001 Eclipse and I also have a water leak problem. It is only on my drivers side.I do not know if it is the same as yours because I have never taken it to the dealership. We have however ripped up the carpet and found no signs of it coming in. So I do not know if we have the same problem, but you are not the only one out there with the water problem. How do they plan on fixing the problem if it is the design of the car?
  • dsmtuner1dsmtuner1 Member Posts: 2
    i have had mine for 5 years now and its mostly for show. its a great car and fun to drive and the 4g63 is a great motor.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • stretchoostretchoo Member Posts: 1
    I also have a Mits. Eclipse. It is a 2001 GT. I have had issues with the water leaking for about a year. In the beginning I thought it was wet snow. I soon realized it was a more serious issue. I tried to find the leak myself. I used a hose and tried to locate the leak. I used a rubber cement to try to solve the problem. I thought it worked, but the problem is back. Now I have water on both the driver and passenger side front and back floorboards. Please tell me what you did or what the dealer has done for you. I too cannot afford to spend your estimated $600.
  • schaef04schaef04 Member Posts: 1
    question: my head went out on a 01 eclipse spyder gs a/t(2.4L 16valve) and i found one with very low miles for a very cheap price. the problem is that all the seller knows is that its off of a 2000 eclipse 16 valve 4cyl automatic. would this head work for my car?
  • burton24burton24 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 01 Eclipse GT V6 auto transmission that just recently went out. I have searched everywhere for one for it. I was told that there are other cars such as a newer model Galant and maybe a Chysler Sebring that have the same transmissions. Can anyone give me any info?
  • j_griff02j_griff02 Member Posts: 4
    hey i had the same problem. i also have a 200 mitsh eclp with around the same mileage. a seal was leaking transmission fluid and i was stalling out alot. i had to get the entire trans replaced. what happened with your car? have you had any other issues?
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    "...a newer model Galant and maybe a Chrysler Sebring..."

I'm not a gear head so take my advice with caution.

IIRC, the 2001-2006 Chrysler Sebring coupes were just rebadged Eclipses'. They both had a Mitsu made 3.0L engine, so it would follow that the tranny's are compatible. Just make sure you get you tranny from a coupe as the sedan was a different car altogether.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• j_griff02j_griff02 Member Posts: 4
    2000 eclipse GT. Same water problem. But it seems to come and go (not with the weather :)). But sometimes for a period of a month the driver's side carpet will be soaked. That's when all those great smells come out.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    "...carpet will be soaked..."

I seem to recall reading somewhere that on the post 2006 models they were having a problem with drains on the A/C that was causing water to back up into the passenger compartment. Don't know if this is the same for the pre 2006's but it might be a place to start looking.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• spointerspointer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Eclipse Gt 3.0 and I have an engine roar that is driving me nuts also. Took it to the dealer, changed tie rod ends, an axle bearing and the idler tensioner and still have the same problem but when I am excelerating and engine is cold, dealer is stupid and cant figure it out either.
    Did you ever figure this out? This car only has 44,000 miles on it and is in perfrct shape, just cant figure out the noise.
  • jos121212jos121212 Member Posts: 2
    im looking for a fast car and i cant seem to find the hp base on these when i finally found a 3000gt 5 speed, whats the hp on it and the 3000gt spyder? thanks.