Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Care and Maintenance

Comments

• ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    This is covered in your owner's manual. It should be in the index. It is really a matter of the correct procedure to pressing the correct electronic buttons in the right sequence.

If you are technically inclined, the shop manual.
  • vquinnvquinn Member Posts: 3
    So, does anyone know anything about cv boots? Please?
  • draperdormdraperdorm Member Posts: 1
    I went in to get an oil change on my '99 honda civic LX. I was told I should get a bunch of "preventive maintenance" performed. This included front and back struts (although they aren't leaking, whatever that means), flush with new antifreeze, lubrication and brake adjustment, new battery installation (although the battery has given me no problems), and spark plug replacement. The total given to me for these repairs was $1070. I wasn't sure if i'm being screwed or not so i told them I'd get back to them. Any advice on whether I really need all this preventive maintenance?
  • lowellmlowellm Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I need to change the oil on my new 2006 Civic soon and have a few questions. Did you find out how to reset your 2006 Civic oil life indicator? Was the oil change straight forward (excluding the oil life indicator)? Did you drive the car up on ramps or use jacks to get under it to remove the oil pan drain plug? What weight oil did you use? Where do you live, a hot or cold winter area? I live near San Francisco, CA, and have used 20-50 weight Castrol oil in all of the cars I've owned since the early 1980's. Got well over 180K miles on my previous 1981 Civic, with my only major engine repair being a valve job and no signs of engine wear when I retired the vehicle.

Thanks for any assistance, it is very much appreciated.

Lowell
  • gliderguy52gliderguy52 Member Posts: 11
    I recently did my first oil change on my 06 EX Civic Coupe. Since you've done many other oil changes, you should find the 06 civic easy. I live in the midwest, where it's in the high 90's in the summer and mid teens in the winter. I went with Honda's recomendation of 5w-20 weight, and used semi-syth oil, and a Honda filter. Oil change is very straight-forward. I used jack stands to raise the front of the car. I did have to get a filter wrench (at NAPA) to get the original filter off. I was glad I bought a Honda filter...just took the new one up to NAPA and asked for wrench that fit it. The owner's manual explains in detail how to reset the oil life indicator. That's something that you'll have to do according to the book. It does not reset automatically (as some posters have indicated here). No trick to it, just follow the explaination in the manual.

Hope this helps.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Anyone use Armor-All or similar products on the dash and steering wheel? The surface is not glossy so feels a big rough. Probably good for grip on the steering wheel but still, I prefer the smoother finish.

Do such products hurt the finish, make them fade or degrade or void the warranty?

Does the shine produced cause glare for driving (dash area under the long sloping windshield is longer than most cars)?
  • nealstandnealstand Member Posts: 2
    I have an '01 Civic LX, 2dr (Red even). Anyway, the driver side door lock mechanism will not go up/down by using the remote. I took it to the dealer and they want a BUNCH of money to fix it. Where can I get some information on the proper way to remove the interior door panel to access the lock unit (for repair or replacement).

Thanks!!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Personally I would never use Armor-All on the steering wheel--I think it would make the wheel too slippery. IMO you want the surface to feel a bit rough, for a better/safer grip.

There are low-gloss versions of Armor-All and the like that don't shine up the dash as much.

I can't see how using Armor-All on the dash could void the warranty--unless there is a warning about using silicone protectorants in the owner's manual.
    My Integra and an old Legend I drove have a smoother-feeling steering wheel. It shined but it was textured.

I was thinking that the rougher surface was porous and more prone to retain dirt.

So a layer of Armor all would seal the pores somewhat.

I wondered whether Armor All would react with the material some way and cause it to deteriorate faster.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    How about putting a smooth leather cover on the wheel? Smooth on your hands, good looking, and yet grippy.
    That might not be a bad idea.

Only problem is, my town is bad for car accessory stores. Only basic parts chains like Kragen or Auto Zone. Or pay through the nose from the dealer.

So I'd probably have to shop online.

Need to get a good wax, some chamois. There was also a gloss protectant, called Der Shiny back in the day. It was suppose to give a glossy finish and used for aircraft.
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    I have a '98 Civic with 70000 miles and now using car to the tune of close to 30000 per year. Well maintained but has not had a timing belt change. Local mechanics tell me 90K will be time. Do you go be miles or time? Reasonable to wait for the 90K or do it sooner?
  • kdogkdog Member Posts: 23
    I have a question on service intervals. My civic currently has 24000 miles and I've changed the oil every year/10,000 miles. I also changed the the air filter at 15,000 miles. This being the 3rd year and I want to know what kind of serivice my car will need. I don't push the car hard, just moderate driving.
    P.S. Should I still follow the manual on the 10,000 oil change intervals for moderate driving?
  • vquinnvquinn Member Posts: 3
    I'm no expert, but I just had my '97 Civic's timing belt changed exactly at 105,000 miles. Of course the belt could have gone before b/c I think it was supposed to be changed at 84 months, but it didn't.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    personally, i would never use Armor All - period. I hate shiny, greasy dashes. It annoys me when you go to the used car lots and see shiny dashes. i just think that it really makes the car look cheap. plus, i heard that the stuff actually causes the plastic to crack.

i like Meguiar's interior cleaner. It cleans the rich, textured dash (which car manufacturers go to great pains to achieve) without that greasy shiny crap.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    it depends on the oil that you are using.
    Regular oil, in my experience, doesn't hold up for 10,000 miles. in past cars, (toyota corolla mainly, and a couple of vw's), you can really tell when the oil is no good any more. changing it made the engine purr. so, with regular oil, i would recommend between 3000 - 4000 miles for oil.

you could probably get away with 10,000 mile intervals with synthetic oil - or so i have heard - i've never tried it.

other factors that come into play are - and this is all speculation - how long can the oil filter handle it - will it be clogged and/or can the filter element stay intact that long
    with reference to the oil itselfafter so many miles, its not just oil floating around. moisture, acids from combustion and who knows what else could be in there.

my philosopy is this - oil is your engines life blood. its not worth messing with it. Its alot less expensive to change the oil regularly than a new engine. I change oil between 3 - 4K with regular oil.

i'm using synthetic now in my 06 civic and i change it at 5000 miles - mostly because it is easier for me to remember 5K intervals.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    If you drive mostly highway miles in an average environment, then follow the normal schedule.
    If not, follow the severe schedule. The mileage intervals are listed in the manual.
    It's that simple.
  • tcoultharttcoulthart Member Posts: 17
    I was wondering what others are paying for the replacement, the Madison, WI dealer wants $105, while the estimated costs on Edmunds suggest $45, why the difference. I have a '04 Civic LX.
    I bought the Honda-branded cleaner. Comes in a metal can with a spray top.

But I wonder if I'm suppose to use it on the textured dash and also the front of the stereo and such, which is not textured.

Or the doors, the area around the window controls for instance.

If it's just a cleaner, no big deal. But if it leaves some kind of polymer film, maybe not a good idea?
  • bahmedbahmed Member Posts: 66
    When the steering straight, both the horn switches do not blow the horn even when pressed, move the steering like 10 degrees in either direction, it works fine, already checked the connections at the switches for carbon etc, checked the fuse under the fuse box under the hood, is there any discs etc where the electrical connections are made in the steering column, I am just speculating as I dont have the exploded view of the Steering column, what could be the cause and suggested fixes, it may be the ground connection, where is the ground for the horn circuitry. Any suggestions or points will greatly be appreciated.
  • hockeguy55hockeguy55 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my honda civic sedan in may of 06, and its been great for me so far. I've gotten regular oil changes at 3000 miles and its run smoothly for me. However, i just changed the oil at a non honda facility 5 days ago. Yesterday i turned on my car and it said "15% oil life". When i looked in my manual i learned that that appears when the car thinks it is time for an oil change, and that after each oil change the % oil life indicator should be reset. This is the first time I've seen this message, and I was wondering if it was just because the Jiffy Lube didn't reset the meter? I dont want to be driving the car if there are engine issues. Anyway, i reset the % meter manually because Im assuming it just needed to be reset.... what do you think?
  • hockeguy55hockeguy55 Member Posts: 2
    The best stuff to use is the Meguiar's leather and dash trim wipes... easy to use and they don't make the vinyl and leather slippery and wet like Armor All.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Why didn't you wait until the oil minder got down to the 20% to 15% to change the oil? They use specific break in oil on the new Civic and I'm going to wait until it says 20% to 15% until my 1st change. I've got 50% with just 3600 on the odo.
    I called 2 local Honda dealers and they also verified with me to wait until the oil minder tells you. Just curious why you don't follow what the manufacturer recommends about oil change intervals?

The Sandman :confuse:
  • robert47robert47 Member Posts: 13
    Hello everyone,

I purchased my 06 civic in November2005. I had first oil change when it was 7500 miles. My dealer told me that I should have changed it when it was 5000 miles. I told him that I just followed maintenance reminder screen. Now it is 12300 miles and maintenance reminder says 40% to oil change which will be the time I guess 10% about 15000 miles. The dealer sticker says 10500 miles or 9/1/2006. I am confused what I should do. Listen to the dealer or maintenance reminder. I need an advise for the time period of oil change.
    I'm quite sure he didn't wait past 3,000 miles because he is following "tradition" passed down from decades past.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Stick with the maintenance minder. It automatically adjusts the schedule, depending upon your driving style and conditions. The service department is going to tell you what's best for thier bottom line. Also, the maintenance minder isn't going to tell you what other items are needed, until it drops down to 15% on the oil life meter, so you'll never be notified of other events that the system deems necessary, if you keep resetting it before it gets that low (by following the service dept's recommendations).
  • robert47robert47 Member Posts: 13
    So, basically I get the oil changed about every 7500 miles. Does everyone the same schedule or is there any other mileage consideration. If I change the oil myself what is the best one and will it affect the factor warranty? Thanks
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I have 4900 miles and the oil life indicator is at 40%.
    I get Emails and phone calls from the dealer telling me it is time to change the oil.I think Honda knows more than anybody what is considered proper oil change intervals.
    I think the new system accounts for the variation in driving
    conditions.Dealers don't care about your car just your money.It bugs me that dealer employees are not car nuts like me.I love cars,always have,always will,and if I was rich I would have a bunch like Jay Leno.So I will let the car tell me when to change the oil after all the reason we buy Civics is to reduce driving costs.
    The dealer doesn't even know how many miles you're driving. They just send out automatic reminders after a certain time interval.
    You can go by the oil life indicator up to a point. There is some maximum time interval though.
    Even if you only drove the car 10 miles a month, you are still required to change the oil after some period (maybe 12 months) no matter what the oil life indicator says.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    In theory, the oil life indicator is supposed to take into account time passed, as well as driving conditions, so the percentage of oil life left should automatically decrement, even for those who don't drive much.
  • raykramarraykramar Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone changed the timing belt themselves? Are there any special tools necessary to do it and is it a plausible 1 day job? Is it worth doing yourself vs taking it to the dealer?
  • bishopk99bishopk99 Member Posts: 11
    1988 Honda Civic 4dr sedan computer questions

Folks,

I posted this to other boards in CIVIC with no replies. Hopefully, this board will get one:

I just spent over 780.00 on trying to get my check engine light to go out on my subj Civic. The final answer is "you have a bad computer" and to replace will cost 980.00. Well, if they ran diagnostics on it in the first place to correct a temperature Hi/Lo sensor and a transmission part (which makes the car run excellent now) how can that be. Now the answer is you need a new computer?

I own a car made in Japan, with a JHMED VIN...

it ststates on the computer:

37820-PM5-A550
    601-139748
    8 B
    with a manufacture date of 87-12-24

I bought this car new in 1988, it has over 178,000 miles, it drove me to 5 ships and 5 shore stations and will be featured in my retirement ceremony after I get to 25 yrs in the Navy. Everyone hates it but I loove it. It is my baby blue car!

Are there compatability issues with the computers, some folks tell me that any computer in that family will work (1988-1991).

Happy Holidays!

Kevin, Senior Chief, Unitied States Navy
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Kevin,

Why don't you also ask in our Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion. Usually there are some pretty sharp gearheads hanging out there who may not see your posts here.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.
  • emeraldavilaemeraldavila Member Posts: 2
    Lately I have been having trouble with my car. It seems that when it wants to start it will, and when it does not want to it does not. It will crank sometimes but it will not turn. Then sometimes it delays then cranks and turns. Then sometimes I dont get anything and the engine light is on for all of these conditions. Once the cars turns on the engine light turns off and I have no problems. It happens in either type of weather hot or cold. Some say its the relay some say its the fuel pump, I am so confused. Please help me. I lovvvvve my car, and I dont want to give it up. :sick:
    Hi, welcome to the CarSpace Forums!

Try posting this also in our "No Start" Problems discussion. I think more people who can help will see it there.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.
  • bishopk99bishopk99 Member Posts: 11
    I will try that discussion thread....thanks a lot.

Kevin
  • redvwredvw Member Posts: 40
    I recently heard on Motorwatch radio that a 10 year old radiator should be replaced. I have 1 1997 Honda Civic with 140,000 miles. The coolant was changed every 2 years with factory fill. I have also been using wetter water for the past three years. I am not having any cooling problems. Is it necessary to replace the radiator in this car? :confuse:
    Let us know how it goes - and thank you for your service.
  • jaa37jaa37jaa37jaa37 Member Posts: 30
    Just over 40,000 miles -- went to get my oil changed, and the mechanic recommended changing the antifreeze. I checked the manual's maintenance schedule but didn't see anything about that specifically. He also recommended changing the transmission fluid, which is ridiculous -- that's why I'm skeptical. Anyone? Thanks.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    coolant change every 2-3 years is a good idea, yes.

Transmission oil change? 40K sounds premature. More like 60K sounds right.
  • lvtltnlvtltn Member Posts: 10
    Hi, My Civic had 31K miles,is it ok if I use the high-mileage oil (75000) for it? Thanks
    I have almost 6000 miles and decided to rotate the tires.
    Simple enough, but the right front wheel lock was overtightend and ruined the threads. I was able to get
    the wheel lock off but can't get it back on so I have to
    take it to the dealer. They should take those impact
    wrenches from the monkies who prep the cars.My only other thing is I bought the wrong car.If you have to park in
    parking structures it is difficult to open the door wide
    to get in and out unless you are short legged.So I try to
    avoid having another car on the drivers side. :mad:
    I took my 2006 Civic in to the dealer to correct the
    buggered wheel stud which was done under warranty and decided to have the oil changed since it was close to 6000
    miles.I expected to have to pay for that but when I picked
    up the car the invoice said no charge.I asked why and
    the service rep said "for good customer relations".This was
    in Poway California.One of the reasons I traded my Kia
    Sorento in on this Civic is poor service.I don't think it is
    Kias fault but Kia dealers are always combined with other makes and so the service department is not skilled in Kia.
  • 06civic_pain06civic_pain Member Posts: 8
    Just bought 06 Civic EX last wk and it poured rain last night. I have the same rusting occuring all over roof and hood areas. Additionally, I found in every window frame of the interior metal of door, rusting occuring at the welding points. Also found this on the edges of the doors where the factory frames the sheet metal edging together w/o welding and if you look close enough where this meets, you may find it too.

I am so not happy with any of this along w/ the alloy rim damage from new tires being placed on it for the sale, backseat plastic shoulder guide broken and very evident (even though even I missed it during my review of car on day purchased)- and the trunk lighting is so dim! A glow stick lights it up better!
    Lastly, can anyone explain to me what reasoning supports Honda designing the Civic without a under hood light? This is beyond common sense to me but last time I checked, lighting for the engine area was standard on every other car I've owned from Ford,Buick & Saturns.
    Not a good experience and now having dropped it off earlier today to make paint and other repairs, I think I need another car.
    Is it possible this car was one of the ones flooded in
    hurricane Katrina.I saw on the news that those cars can be found in any state.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    The car seems to have suffered some type of environmental damage to the paint. Maybe industrial fallout? This is a used Civic right? Can you absolutely verify the previous owner and why it was traded so soon? Did you buy from a Honda dealer? I too question whether this car was flood damaged since rusting is occuring in unusual places and very early in its life. It is, after all, a 2006.
    As for the lack of underhood lighting..well it is a Honda after all and they NEVER break down...joke, joke, joke. Seriously, most new cars don't have any type of underhood lighting any longer. There is nothing to see (most of a modern engine is covered by a plastic shroud) or repair by the owner under there anyhow. If your engine fails you can stand there all day and stare at the engine and see nothing amiss. It is all computer controlled with modules and sensors and various other black boxes that mean nothing to the average owner.
  • 06civic_pain06civic_pain Member Posts: 8
    I don't think it is a flooded car from hurricane Katrina, but will look into that possibility.
    Ditto, it has suffered some type of environmental damage to the paint.

But this is a brand NEW 2006 Civic bought from Honda dealership! The title never left dealership until I bought it. I hear you on the rusting occuring in unusual places and very early in its life- and shouldn't be occuring at this rate from factory in Canada to U.S. dealership. I have contacted Lemon Law resources for the Mid-Atlantic to see what my rights are in this matter. This is pending as my car is still at dealership due to new issues on delays with parts ordered. I chose to leave car there to avoid only more inconveniences of ping pong dropping car off and getting loaners as the paint repairs only occur on Tuesdays and parts deliveries are further delayed. Did I mentioned they scratched glass with razor blade trying to remove film of unknown substance all over all windows said to be from factory window protection wrapping? This appeared 3day I had car and wasn't visible until after a major rain overnight. Dealership denies it is over wash from wax job but still hasn't gotten residue off all window surfaces to date.
    These defects and damages are not what a new car should be sold with or that quality control missed, skipped what have you. I've been told by Srv. Mngr. the Manufacture Rep. will be back soon and I will have to discuss this with him.
    After some grief from the dealership, they have agreed to do the TSB next Monday and will order the necessary kit this afternoon. Tried to get it all done with just one trip down there, but they failed me on that score. The service manager's not to happy but has agreed to do it. That's all I want so I'll just have to drive down there next week.
    Oil change was also done with 30% on the monitor with 5050 miles on the car and 7 months of ownership. Just didn't want to go much more on the break-in oil actually. And today was a holiday for me also. Turns out the oil change was free also & finally got some touch up paint to fix my garage door incident.

The Sandman :)
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Hard to beat the price of the oil change!! :)
    Still get the 10k and 15k gratis...but deep down we all know I paid for it somewhere. I was told a tire rotation is done with the 10k service. Been keeping a close eye on 'em and all is well.
    Will post back here next Monday nite after the TSB is performed.

The Sandman :)
This discussion has been closed.