Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ttmadisonttmadison Member Posts: 2
    Just a follow-up: Bought the car at price promised: CASH deal, no trade-in for a new 2012 Honda Civic EX sedan w/nav (no leather) for $20,500 plus TTL. Off the lot price was $22,413.50 including local 7.75% tax and CA fees. Car already had Pro-pack extras installed so we didn't pay extra for those.

I walked in with a bank cashier's check already made out to the dealership in the full amount and the paperwork was done in 45 minutes, including inspection, test drive, car wash, and full gas tank. Did not put up with any of the usual tricks, and I don't care if they thought I was a hard-[non-permissible content removed].

Keep in mind that other customers who think they got the same car for a lower price: the dealership actually made up that money in giving you less for your trade-in or is making a lot in interested from your loan. Full cash deals with no other transactions is the best way to compare true off-the- lot prices. Plus all California vehicles must have the strict CA catalytic converters installed, which are much more expensive than in the other 48 states.
  • archie25archie25 Member Posts: 1
    Could you please provide the contact name, phone number and Options of the car you are buying? I am interested in Ex and you may get a better deal once you let them know that you are referring another prospective cust
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Posted on every page...

You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dolphin5dolphin5 Member Posts: 80
    What dealership in nj did you get your quote from

Thanks
  • taurus777taurus777 Member Posts: 1
    That's an awesome deal. Congratulations..!!!

Do you to share the dealer/salesman information? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
  • broken_tinebroken_tine Member Posts: 4
    I have read many of the entries on this forum but most don't specify sedan or transmission type. I am shopping for a new Civic in the Atlanta area. I am going to test drive this weekend. I plan on buying a car before the end of the month. I have talked to one dealership in Atl so far and their "fee" is $599. I know that taxes, tag, etc. will vary by state and county but what is a good pice for a 4 door LX automatic. Pensacola Honda advertises this car on their website for $17,291. Is this a good price? Or should I shoot for a lower number?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Coming in very late here...

It's not a matter of "playing ball". t's a matter of what this leased car is actually worth to a dealer. If they can buy a brand new one for 1000.00 more, it would make no sense to buy this used one.

We don't have Car Max up here that I know of and they won't pay more than market value either.

He can make the remaining lease payments and walk away.

To your point, theis person is very lucky he leased a Civic and not some fast depreciating car (names witheld). This could be a lot more painful.
    He can make the remaining lease payments and walk away.

Not necessarily true... If you end a lease early, then your responsibility is for the payoff amount of the lease.

The remaining payment amount plus the amount the car brings in at auction should cover that, but there is no guarantee.. Turning a car in early is not the same as completing the lease term.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2012
    My title at the store where I worked was "Fleet and Leasing Manager" so I'm pretty good with the ins and outs of leases at least as they pertain to Hondas.

In this case paying all of the remaining lease payments would get him out of his lease. Yes, a tough thing to do and I used to advise people to make sure they planned to finish up their lease term.

At this point, I have no idea if there is any incentive money on 2012 Civics but I do know there is very low financing through Honda. Of course, none of this would apply to a used car. This could make this car unattractive to a potential buyer or to a store for that matter.

It would be sold as a "used" car and even with those low miles, shoppers expect a massive discount off the price of a brand new car.

Now, if Civics happen to be in short supply (I have no idea) then it could do pretty well at the auction. If the lots are packed with them it won't do well at all for the reasons I mentioned.
  • jdrinkajdrinka Member Posts: 1
    I know there are a lot of Civic deals going on right now. I'm interested in a Blue EX-L. I've been emailing various dealerships and the best out the door price I've gotten so far is $20,983.00 for the car with an out the door price of $23,725.99. This includes the $399 doc fee (does this seem high?), $1951.42 sales tax, and $391.59 license plate.

Does this seem like a good deal or do you think there is still some negotiation to be done here?
    399.00 is VERY high for a doc. fee but I know in some areas of the country that is pretty common.

Question...do you have to have leather? Leather Civics aren't big sellers and they can be pretty scarce. The dealers are well aware of that and they know they can get more money on cars in short supply.

The cloth cars are far more common and the best deals are going to be on cars that are in strong supply.

Living in a hot climate as you do, I'm surprised you would even want leather.

Just a thought...
  • willhousewillhouse Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I'm in the market for a 2012 Civic LX Sedan w/ AT (no extras) and have been contacting my local dealerships around the Bay Area. So far the lowest quote I've been given is around $18500 OTD (taxed at 8.75%). Good deal? TIA!
    Will,
    I just bought a new 2012 Civic LX Sedan in Alabaster Silver from a dealer south of Atlanta (this past Sat. 5/5/12).
    MSRP $18,805.00
    paid $16,505.15 + 7% sales tax
    financed through Honda for 1.9%
    Total after finance charges, taxes, fees, etc. = $18,500.00
    I think I could have even done better by a few hundred more but too late now...
    Good Luck!
  • turtle1231turtle1231 Member Posts: 2
    Have2civics-

I'm in dire need to purchase a Honda Civic quickly and live in the Cincinnati area. If you could e-mail the dealer I'd be Ecstatic! I assume it's Jeff Wyler of Colerain. Please let me know if you got this.

Thanks
  • qwertyaasqwertyaas Member Posts: 1
    Last night I just went to sign a lease for a Civic LX.

Total down with taxes, registration and fees was $4,460. Monthly payments are $75. Total is around $7,100 for the 36 months.

Question on the fees as for some reason I have a sour taste in my mouth on how the dealer was. When I called and asked first, I was told we would just pay $1,500 down, $895 bank fee (which is high I'm assuming...), $770 destination and tax and DMV. Later they add $400 for admin.

After agreeing, they bring us to the lease person which lets us know we aren't with Honda Financial due to our low payments but some obscure bank that isn't all too great, and charges a $500 disposition fee. We switched to Honda Financial, went from 39 months to 36 months but paying the same total. Shouldn't the Bank fee with Honda Financial be $595?

In addition, I just found out now about the $500 Cash back incentive.

In the end, if I take my total divided by 36 months, it's $197 a month but I still have a sour taste in my mouth.

Did I just get had for extra bank fees, admin fees and missing out on the $500 cash back incentive?
  • blindseerblindseer Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am planning to buy a 2012 Honda civic sedan lx, pls give me some advices. This is my first new car and I don't know how much is a suitable price to pay for it. I live in south bay of ca. Thank you for helping.
  • turtle1231turtle1231 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2012 Honda Civic EX-L for $20693 out the door with all fees.
  • blindseerblindseer Member Posts: 2
    I just buy a 2012 Honda accord sedan lx at south bay. The OTD price is 20200. Is it a good deal?

1.9 for finance during 5 yr
  • jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    This thread is for the Honda Civic, you should post in the Honda Accord thread instead
  • banshabansha Member Posts: 4
    Sharing some information received on 5/19/2012 from San Leandro Honda. I was looking at the civc lx to compare it with the car I was interested in. Sales rep really wanted me to purchase the civic lx over a fit base.

Cars that came in 2 weeks ago have a dealer cost of $18,127 (2 alabaster silver left); those that came in this week are ~$300 higher. These costs are invoice plus destination.

Costco price = $500 over invoice.

Cash price (no financing) = $18,627. This figure includes destination, but not the doc fee and gov't fees. I didn't ask how they came up with this number.

They have a special $1,000 below dealer cost promotion, if the car is financed. I don't know who actually gets this promotion. I received an email about it from the dealership since I previously purchased a car from them and I'm on their mailing list. When I went there, the sales rep would only give me $875 (2% holdback + $500 dealer cash). After showing the sales rep my email, the sales rep spoke with the boss and was allowed to give me the $1,000 below dealer cost promotion.

Assuming you wanted the $18,127 car, the cost of the car would be $17,127 + $55 doc fee (max in CA by law) + other gov't fees. At 36 months and 0.9% interest, monthly payment is $534.32; at 60 month and 1.9% interest, monthly payment is $331.83. Monthly payment figures includes the doc fee and other gov't fees.

Sales rep also told me that it would be cheaper to finance the car ($17,127 + $271.34 finance charges; sorry - I don't recall term and % interest) than to do a cash purchase ($18,627). Sales rep said I could finance the car to get the lower price, and then pay off the whole amount the next day or two to avoid the finance charges. I've never heard of this.

I purchased a different car from the dealership (fit base). Looking at the sales contact, I found the below:

OPTION: You pay no finance charge if the Amount Financed, Item 7, is paid in ful on or before May 24, 2012 (date was inserted). SELLER's INITIALS: (left blank).

Hhhhhmmmm....interesting option.
  • jvanoortjvanoort Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a 2012 Honda Civic Si Coupe with Honda financing. Can anyone shed some light on what a respectable out-the-door price should be? I'm guessing it is harder to get great prices on the Si since they are few and far between.
  • falmouthfalmouth Member Posts: 30
    Here in N VA I have been told by several dealers they can beat $16990 for an EX Civic Sedan. Should come in around $18500 total. Will buy this wkend (or an Accord can't make up mind)
  • radtomradtom Member Posts: 12
    Anyone from CT or Western Mass buy a new Civic LX 4 door auto recently? Would you be willing to share what you paid? Thanks
  • zoom08zoom08 Member Posts: 75
    I am in negotiations in NJ with Garden State Honda.
    I am asking for civic LX 2012 $17K and i want them to include documentation fee into that price. I understand there is a $500 incentive from the factory to dealers but that is not offered to me.

car 17K (to include documentation fee 395)
    tax $1190
    plus registration about $258
    is this a reasonable deal or is there better deals in NJ?
    I want to buy the car within a week.
    please I need help
    I am looking for a civic LX automatic, any luck in getting yours?
    do you think $17K is a good price for this car plus tax+title and reg?
    OTD price is about $18450
    I think is high.
    can u help mw with any info?
    I live in NJ, near meadowlands
    which dealer?
    which dealer did you visit?
    i am dealing with garden state honda tomorrow
    Civic EX Sedan Auto. $17996+790 freight+processing+TTL. In No. Va.
    Civic EX Sedan Auto. $16996+790 freight+processing+TTL. In No. Va.
    Did this EX include the navigation package? Thanks
    No they wanted another approx $2100 for car with Nav.
  • jvanoortjvanoort Member Posts: 2
    Just bought in Chicago, IL on 5/26/2012. 2012 Honda Civic EX Sedan (w/out Navi) $18788+ $161.39 Documentation Fee + TTL. I was feeling pretty good about that until I saw falmouth's post! I find it hard to believe that someone got an EX Sedan for under 18k but I suppose it depends a lot on the area.
  • carbuy7carbuy7 Member Posts: 1
    My friend bought it for $17,200 + doc + tax in Seattle, WA.. They added something called ETCH $299 saying that it mandatory. They told that it is something related to anti-theft device and was mandatory to buy. Is this true for everyone? Total price OTD was 19500.
  • wowjune09wowjune09 Member Posts: 1
    I bought the same model (Honda Civic LX 2012) for OTD total of $19,500 USD.
    I bought it on May 07, 2012.
    I see that everyone is getting OTD $17,500 to $18,500. I dont know how they got that deal!!!
    The best deal i got was OTD $19,500 here in New Jersey!!!
    So in summary i paid as follow:

$17,579.00 Car
    $299 Documentation Fee
    $299 Registration & Plates
    $1,323 Taxes (7% NJ)

Total: $19,500

After buying it and seeing how much people were paying for the car i felt like the dealer ripped me off or maybe not!!!

anybody can comment on this!!!??? :confuse:
  • cam329cam329 Member Posts: 2
    We just leased two 2012 Civics (LX) - love the cars, the deal and our sales rep.

Awesome experience all-around even though we drove from Iowa to Dayton, Ohio to get the cars. Local dealers could not come close (although they "tried" with many games & tiresome tactics). Bottom line, it was well worth the drive for us but, then again, we do have family in Indy so we planned a mini-vacation around our car excursion.

The deal (this deal may end 5-31-12 but they may have a similar or better deal in June).

$177 per month for 36 months (12,000 miles per year)
    Zero down
    Residual/buy-out at lease-end: $11,953 (car can be turned in or traded @ any Honda dealer)

Selling price of Civic LX shows as $16,580
    AHFC Acq. Fee: $595
    Other fees: $35
    Initial Registration Fees: $19.50

Stress-free car-buying experience. Highly recommend our female rep at Matt Castrucci Honda in Dayton, OH. She was beyond awesome.

P.S. Our Budget one-way car rental from Waterloo, IA to Dayton Airport was $75 (the Enterprise quote was $350+). It definitely pays to check multiple car rental companies and various pick-up/drop-off locations.
    That's a great deal... but, a long way to go..

(not so far from Indy, I guess)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wefitwefit Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2012
    Just bought a 2012 Civic LX Auto Sedan with mud guards, decals and nitrogen filled tired. Don't remember the breakdown, but paid $17,200 OTD with VA tags.
    Congratulations on your new car. If you could, would you share the price for the car without the tax title etc? Thanks
  • vinh0706vinh0706 Member Posts: 4
    I just got my 1st new car, 2012 Civic LX automatic (sedan), for $18,100 OTD in Houston TX. I'm not sure if it was a good or fair deal in Houston.
    Could you please list the price paid for the car without taxes etc? That would be very helpful to me and appreciated. Thanks
  • wefitwefit Member Posts: 7
    16407 was the price of the car with destination chrg
    i am findding LX auto sedan 19K and dealer told me thats the best they can do.
  • vinh0706vinh0706 Member Posts: 4
    Selling price @ $16,460.26
    Spring Branch Honda, Houston, TX
    Thanks very much.
    Thanks very much.
  • tomcatt630tomcatt630 Member Posts: 124
    I got a hale damaged new LX-HF for $17K o.t.d. Light pitting, not to bad, can see about paint-less repair whenever. A black Accord at same lot looked badly pitted, and shows badly with dark color.
  • davis37davis37 Member Posts: 1
    which dealor? Can I get one from Maryland? thanks
  • superdc128superdc128 Member Posts: 1
    Wefit,
    What was the break down on the cost? Did you had trade in? Which dealer did you get this deal from?
  • wormburnwormburn Member Posts: 1
    got a quote in MA for $17,800 for CIVIC HF. any good?