Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter is interested in talking to any car shoppers who are thinking about buying any one of the following small cars: Chevy Cruze, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic or Dodge Dart. Please send a brief description of your shopping experience and your preferred contact information to PR@edmunds.com by Monday, June 18th

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• doosundoosun Member Posts: 6
    I visited dealership in Sarasota FL, and Honda Civic LX was $21,895 (OTD : including everything) and I was really upset cause i think it is so expensive and she(a dealer) seemed to overcharge me.

How can I approach this?

When I talk with dealer, what should I do for buying civix LX under $18,500 (OTD)

please help me, i am a new buyer
  • cam329cam329 Member Posts: 2
    doosun - Yikes, I agree with you about the overcharge. It seems they would be offering even better deals since the recall was announced this week. Anyway, I would suggest you start with emails to "Internet Sales" department of 4-5 dealers within driving distance. They should have their internet staff/emails listed on their website. "Internet Sales" can usually offer lower prices than the other sales department. Ask for their best OTD price on the 2012 Civic LX - tell them you're "ready to buy" and will go with the dealer who has the "best price" and "no games." Each dealer should be willing to send their pricing. If you're planning to trade-in a vehicle, deal with that after you get the prices so you'll know exactly what you're getting for your trade. If you can't get a good price in FL (I think you can), call the Ohio dealer in Dayton, Ohio (the female internet sales rep @ Matt Castrucci Honda). You can use her price to negotiate locally or you can make the trip to Ohio to pick up a car. Bartlesville Honda in Oklahoma will also email their prices. Hope this helps...good luck to you.
    Thank you so much cam392, I will do what you said!
    Again, thank you very much for your clear explanation of how to do

Appreciate it!!! :-)
  • mozahsufmozahsuf Member Posts: 2
    hey all,

i am sleeping on an 2012 Civic LX OTD offer of 16,845. This includes everything, including a 1998 Accord with 160,000 miles that they offered 1,000 for.

what ya'll think? should i take it?
  • martz11martz11 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Im looking at a 2012 civic LX. I've got. Dealership offering me 290 Out the door for 60 mo, no money down (trading in a 2010 Toyota matrix) at .9 financing. Is this good?

This is in the Chicagoland area.
  • bakalao2kbakalao2k Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2012
    This is a really good deal because I received the same offer during December 2010.
  • mikeickesmikeickes Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Bought a 2012 Civic LX Sedan w/ Manual Transmission (is there any other :P ?) in Northern Virginia for $16,545 + Tax ($529) + Tags/Title ($120). OTD $17,194, financed at 1.9% for 48 months. Love the car, btw.
    I am living in Sarasota in Florida, how much would it be reasonable to buy 2012 Honda Civic LX base model?

I mean OTD price, (I need new tag, am a first time buyer)
    is it OTD?
  • huntingcarhuntingcar Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I also live in florida and looking for a new honda civic right now. What is the best OTD price you have in hand right now ? We can communicate more ...
  • huntingcarhuntingcar Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 1st new car, 2012 Civic LX automatic (sedan), for $18,100 OTD in Houston TX.

This is a great price. Would you give us your break up out door price list ? Thank you.
    I think they easily get the price down up to $18,000
    this is my guess,

cause I am negotiating with dealer for cr-v(which is used on, pre owned, certified, 2010 crv -lx) the price used to be 19,900 with out ttl,

but it goes down around 18,500 including everything...

otd price for civic is easily go down 19,000, but i bet there is more room to get the price down
    so, i guess, you might get civix for around 18,000 otd, but it's up to you and your dealer, his stock, and so on...

they would want to sell it off, casue 2013 is coming out this fall.
  • beardedonebeardedone Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I live in dayton, ohio. I paid 16,883 + tax and title - tax rate is 6.5%. Total price paid was 18,094 after tax. Financed it for 60 months at 0.9%. It is a 2012 civic lx model automatic. I think this is a pretty good price from what I have read on the Internet.
  • hairmechanichairmechanic Member Posts: 15
    that's a great price.
    I think you made such a nice deal! congrat! buddY!
  • iamhere9iamhere9 Member Posts: 1
    Wow, congrats, Can you please share dealers name ? I live in Columbus and shopping around for civic. Thanks
    Not a problem. We have several local Honda Dealers - Voss, Hidy, Castrucci, White Allen. I actually got the best price initially from a dealer south of Dayton - Joe Morgan Honda. The other dealers were all too happy to match. I also had them throw in 3 free oil changes and 3 tire rotations. As long as you are prepared to buy or walk, my recommendation would be to go in to a dealer near you and save your gas money. Just tell them you are willing to pay 16,500 for the car and go from there...also, I dealt directly with the sales manager - I found his name out before going into the dealer and bypassed the salesman. I showed them my price quote from my phone and we went from there. He initially told me to buy it elsewhere and I said "okay, thanks" and began to walk. I was stopped and asked if I would be buying today. I said yes. He told me he would be losing money on paper, but would be making it up on the other end if they hit their sales goal. I asked for free oil changes and to throw in mudguards at invoice....he agreed. Then I applied and was approved for 0.9% financing through Honda for 60 months. I really didn't haggle at all. My advice: deal with the sales manager directly, tell him/her what your price is, ask for freee service, and be prepared to walk away if you are not satisfied. I didn't really do anything special and the whole process took about 2 hours of my time. Good luck and I hope this helps.
  • hedmundshedmunds Member Posts: 5
    Could you please tell me does your price $16,883 includes destination charge? Thanks and congrats on a good buy.
    Thanks. Yes, destination was included:-)
  • aceboyaceboy Member Posts: 1
    Can you mention the dealer details in Houston where u got the civic 2012 LX for 18100 OTD !
  • rushrrrushrr Member Posts: 2
    Hello All, I am looking for honda civc used car and found a 2009/2010 model with 30k miles, and price coming to 15,000 + taxes. please let me know if this is good price to buy used car.
  • broken_tinebroken_tine Member Posts: 4
    Not telling you what to do but for 3,000 more, you can have a brand new Civic.
  • rushrrrushrr Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the response broken_tine, i am looking at used cars only and don't want to invest in new car at this time (maybe selling in 1 or 2 years to get new car) I see above posts people are getting 2012 model at $18,000 + tax which is really good deal..

please let me know what you think of price of $16k total (incl sales tax) for 2010 model and 30k miles.. is it good, bad or in the range ?
  • associatexassociatex Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    Sure, here is the breakdown of the $ 23,995 for the Honda Civic EX-L w/ Navi and LoJack:

(Descriptions come directly from the Invoice):

Price of car: $ 22K
    Sales Tax in NY (8.625): $1,897.50
    License/Title(Doc Fee?): $ 75.00
    State Inspection: $10
    Tire Fee: $ 12.50

Total = $ 23,995.00

I ended up getting new plates, which cost an additional $ 178.50 so the total price on the invoice came to $ 24,173.50. Originally, I was going to transfer the plates from my old Civic to this one but I had to sell my old Civic quick so I added the new plates a few hours before I signed the financing paperwork (which happened a day after I posted my first message).

I brought a cashiers check for $ 13,995.00 and financed the remainder ($ 9,178.00) at 0.9% APR which I plan to pay off in full in about 6 months. My monthly payment is less than $ 260/month so the only reason I want to pay it off is just to clear off my debt.
  • fsdigital12fsdigital12 Member Posts: 3
    Thinking of getting a 2012 4Dr LX soon

What are you guys paying OTD lately?
  • dfordhirajdfordhiraj Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Every1 for the contribution. Just picked up my car today in SoCal 18450 OTD (8.75 % Tax Rate... It hurts Ouch...) with Clear Guard Protector which was already applied on the Doors. So far loving the smell of a new car... It was a little unfortunate that i missed on the 0.9 % apr because of the color.

On second thought the other grey color looks equally appealing. Could have done the deal 3 days back and got the 0.9 % APR.
  • martz11martz11 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    I just paid 17400 OTD for a 12 civic LX which included weather tray mats, lux paint coverage and scotch guard on interior. From chicago burbs. Got it on the last day of .9
  • dfordhirajdfordhiraj Member Posts: 6
    martz11 Did you give your toyota matrix for the car ? What was your price before TTL ? I got it at around 16500.
  • tomcatt630tomcatt630 Member Posts: 124
    edited July 2012
    Used cars carry higher interest rates, think of that when shopping. Also, 1 to 3 year old cars are scarer than ever, don't expect 'bargain prices', unless the car is beat up. :sick:
  • tomcatt630tomcatt630 Member Posts: 124
    edited July 2012
    for a used 2009-10 for $15,000 ish.

If it's an EX, that is a good price, has more std features.
  • jhuggins754jhuggins754 Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,
    I'm new to the site but found a lot of useful info on here. I got the following price quote so far, should I shoot for below 18k ? I saw someone on here got there's in the 17k range... I"m not sure if they'll offer the 1.9 rate / 60 months for the price below also, I have yet to go that far and ask since this was the first price quote i got.

Car: 2012 Honda Civic Sdn LX auto
    Price - $16,165.52
    Honda's Destination (a lot of dealers are leaving this charge out of their initial quote, only to hit you with it at time of purchase) - $790
    Taxes (assuming you are registering your vehicle in NC and you have no vehicle you are trading) - $508.65
    Title, Tag, and Registration - $179
    Documentation Fee - $699

Total: 18341.65
  • wefitwefit Member Posts: 7
    Here's the car we closed. It's a 2012 honda civic LX 4dr auto

sale price is 15,594.00
    Hondas destination is 790.00
    processing fee is 189.00
    VA tax @ 3% is 497.19
    VA tags new two year 130.50
    OTD TOTAL: 17,200.69

Thanks
    edited July 2012
    Care to share which dealership you bought it from? I'm from NC so I do not mind shopping in VA. What's your finance rate? or did you cash? Did you trade in any vehicle ?
  • buyingciviclxbuyingciviclx Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    I got this deal from the Honda dealer for 2012 Civic Sedan Lx auto:

MSRP: 19595
    Adjusted price: 16450(including all taxes and title)
    Monthly payment: 157/35month
    down payment: 2000 (includes first payment)
    residual: 61% (11952.95)
    Included: Pro pack(cargo tray, mud guard), Nitrogen filled tire, pin strip, 2oil change, 2 tire rotation

I don't know the money factor. Do you think its a good deal?
  • dphillipchsdphillipchs Member Posts: 2
    Closed on one last night. Paid $17169 OTD, but had to fight for it. Dealer (Hendrick Honda of Charleston, SC) quoted an Internet price of $16785, but (typically) added dealer options, dock fees, etc. to get it back up to $18800. After three hours of negotiation, with lots of drama from the sales manager and wife and I threatening to walk out twice, we finally got them back down to something reasonable. Buy off the lot from current inventory. They're more likely to negotiate. BTW, South Carolina caps sales tax on new cars at $300, so that helped a lot with the price. Good luck.
    Do you mind breaking down the numbers? I'm from North Carolina so I sure my tax would be around the upper 400s range. The best I've gotten is 17900 OTD. Did you finance through them @ 1.9 or what was your rate?
  • mojacmojac Member Posts: 1
    Paid 17250 for 2012 civic coupe lx in arkansas
  • dphillipchsdphillipchs Member Posts: 2
    No problem. Here's the breakdown:

Price paid - $16446
    Tax - $300
    Tag, Title, Registration - $39
    Dealer Closing Fee - $384
    Total - $17169

LX came equipped with dealer prep items: nitrogen fill in tires, tinted windows, trunk liner, door guards, mud guards, pin stripe.

Didn't pay for dealer prep items or destination fee of $790.
  • steveaspesisteveaspesi Member Posts: 46
    I've got a 2010 civic lx with the standard metal wheels and hubcaps and would like to upgrade with an OEM alloy rim and was wondering what my options might be. Current tire size is 205 55r16

Is it possible to move up to a 17" alloy from the Accord with a tire size 225 50r17?

I'm trying to accomplish this by using something second hand off CraigsList.

thanks for the feedback
    Browse www.tirerack.com it should help you determined if they fit and get your size accordingly
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    I was lucky to score a nice set of used oem wheels from an '05 Civic SI for my '06 Civic LX and they look great and I didn't have any fitment problems. Thought about doing a plus 1 like you are but decided I wanted to stay with the 16" size so I could use the current tires. I found mine on Ebay and the whole process went very smoothly...it was my 1st time on Ebay and I won the auction and have never looked back! The seller was very easy to work with also.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• moznick007moznick007 Member Posts: 7
    I have monitored with interest the prices paid by the writers here. The dealers in in Louisville area must not be motivated to sell their wares: even pitting several dealers against each other I could not get out the door for under $18400. Our state tax here is much higher than many states, and the actual price of the car was $16938 according to the purchase order [including the normal mats, tray, etc.]. I asked one other dealer to lower their price by $300 to match that price--I actually showed them the written offer from the other dealership--and they let me walk. So while I would never believe I got the best price, that a dealer let me walk over such a nominal amount leads me to believe that I got close to the best price available here. But no way did some of the lower prices--such as $15600 to $16200--seem possible here. Or, did I do something wrong? Thanks all for your help.
  • buyingciviclxbuyingciviclx Member Posts: 3
    I have a meeting with Dealer in 2 days. Can someone please advise if this is a good deal or not? Thank you so much.
  • sanjaycarsanjaycar Member Posts: 2
    I am from Charlotte,NC, i was looking to buy the civic, yesterday i went to 2 dealers but no one is giving for 17900 OTD, could you post dealers details who has given 17900 OTD, does it include nitro , mudgaurds, carpets?
  • sanjaycarsanjaycar Member Posts: 2
    Could you share the details of the dealer
  • saabpilotsaabpilot Member Posts: 4
    Leased '12 Hybrid today for $280/mo + $1000 otd, DFW area.
  • newfound09newfound09 Member Posts: 1
    Location: NJ (7% tax and $300+ for reg. and tags, I hate this state!)
    Dealership: DCH academy Honda, Old Bridge, NJ
    Car: 2012 Civic LX with automatic, no other options.

I did all the negotiations over the phone prior to walking in.

Negotiated vehicle price: $15,800

OTD: $18,400

This was the lowest I could get after looking for 3 weeks and talking to 15+ dealerships within 100 miles.

Financed through Honda at 1.9 for 60 months.
  • jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 61
    Trying to figure out your math. If the price of the car is $15,800, how did you get to $18,400 OTD? Tax is 1106 & 300 for registration (actually should be less in NJ) that gets you to 17206. What am I missing? Document fee? Should be about $299 at this dealership. window etc? Destination?
  • sanjayncsanjaync Member Posts: 4
    Could you share the dealership details