Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• iwannagr8leaseiwannagr8lease Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2013
    thanx lakerskobe for the reply.

Going back over the last two months of posts it seems that March was good for a purchase and HF's So.Cal. interest rates and OTD's are going to be hard to beat in the NE in April.

You saved me a bunch of time chasing a few hundred $ numbers alltold paid out over 60 months. Much appreciated.
  • jiimmmjiimmm Member Posts: 15
    Paid $16,986, price included both destination and doc fee......
  • bagotrabagotra Member Posts: 1
    Hi

This is a great deal . Could you please send the details . Which vendor and break for OTD for fincance or cash down
    edited April 2013
    Look in the Accord & CRV forums... without a template type of post the predominant number of these OTD Civic posts are not useful for us all here.

We need numbers in a logical manner.........
  • mountainwindmountainwind Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone please let me know the OTD prices at northern virginia/MD/DC area?
  • nrborodnrborod Member Posts: 79
    That price doesn't seem right--way low
  • stiletto_dudestiletto_dude Member Posts: 6
    Yeah, tell me how I got "hosed" when the bottom line, OTD price of the vehicle was low to the point that NO OTHER DEALER in the metro ATL area would even touch it. No one, out of over 14 dealers that I worked, was in the least bit interested in trying to beat the OTD price of $18,978. None.

So, when you have the absolute, rock-bottom OTD price that no other dealer shows any interest in trying to beat, regardless of the doc fee, how is that "getting hosed"?

Negotiable? Sure, if I was the dealer, who knows he gave me a damn good OTD price, I would say, "bring me someone else's mail quote to you that is lower than $18,978, and I will adjust my price."

Maybe some folks would just sleep better at night paying a higher OTD price with a low doc fee, huh? That way, they can rest easy knowing they didn't get "hosed".......
    edited April 2013
    16999 plus 699 Dealer Doc Fees = 17698 sale price.

Decent price and you did NOT get "hosed"... additionally, poster [u]lakerskobe[/u] failed to designate whether it was a Garden or Firemen's ;)

Those reading the forums have read of lower prices over these last several months - I think I remember 17k as bottom - but MY direct request to support u]lakerskobe's[/u] 17k claim was met with their obtuse response as can be read here at message #10477 http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eea7241/10476#MSG10476

Yours is a solid price... ignore any "trolling" from low-post "members" and BS numbers... and enjoy the car! :)
  • lakerskobelakerskobe Member Posts: 31
    Anyone dumb enough to pay $699 doc fee (pure profit for dealer) got royally hosed.

I paid $17k + $80 doc fee. I used Truecar and no other dealers would go lower than $17.8k.
    edited April 2013
    [i]lakerskobe wrote: "Anyone dumb enough to pay $699 doc fee (pure profit for dealer) got royally hosed. I paid $17k + $80 doc fee. I used Truecar and no other dealers would go lower than $17.8k."[/i]

Instead of WHOLLY insupportive commentary for those perusing the forum, there are PLENTY of FREE sites to which you can upload a direct/cropped scan or a smart-phone cropped pic of the buyer's order to support your claim.

Congrats on seller's $80 doc cap (State based?) for the buyer, and be thankful you don't live in Illinois and wanted to do a lease :(
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Down here we have the $699 dealer fees which are stupid but just part of the cost of doing business. I always go for an OTD price and let them fill in the numbers any way they want to and this way seems to work...just lower the price of the vehicle by the doc fee and all is good. I just have to get my bottom line price and I am good. If no one accepts, I need to reconfigure my numbers somehow but eventually I will get the vehicle at the price I am comfortable with. The key I've found is not to absolutely need or fall in love with the particular vehicle...by doing this, I can walk out if I don't get my price. And also not absolutely needing it makes this so much easier!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    I had a similar reaction the first time I saw a doc fee that high. However, I soon found the explanation: Doc fees are substantially different in different parts of the country.

Sandman offers sound advice: Shoot for the bottom line and let the dealer arrange the numbers however they wish.

If a buyer is happy with the deal they got, telling them they shouldn't be seems pointless.
    Really dumb to pay that much, especially when it's negotiable.
  • kat4goodkat4good Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    I am trying to get a good deal on a 2013 EX. The only OTD quote that I got was a 21,650 and a 19,535 base price without any of other fees unless I show up in person. Does anyone have some numbers that they can share. One salesman asked me what I thought was 'fair'? This is in Dallas Ft worth, Texas area.
    I've purchased both a Civic and a Pilot in the past few years in DFW. Both times, Rusty Wallis had the lowest quote. We purchased the Civic there. On the Pilot, we got a dealer closer to us (Huggins) to price match.

As you probably know, you've got quite a few Honda dealerships to choose from in the metroplex. I'd contact them all!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    We need your input to improve our Forums!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums
  • kat4goodkat4good Member Posts: 2
    I have contacted about six of them and three OTD prices are in the 21,650 range and 21,500 and two that are about 19,535 want me to come in....
    This is just my personal preference, but I did all my negotiating via email. The dealerships that wouldn't give me a quote via email and/or insisted that I come in got scratched off the list. That was really my previous point... With so many Honda dealers in the DFW area, you can be picky about who you deal with and on what terms.
  • nrborodnrborod Member Posts: 79
    I am considering a lease on a 2013 Civic 4 Door EX-L( no NAV), 36 months, 15K per year, taxes and tags up front ONLY--wondering what a reasonable monthly payment might look like at this point from peoples' experience?
  • 858smith858smith Member Posts: 2
    the cheapest i've found in the area i'm at (central mississippi) is $18,500, including taxes, fees, etc.

i called 6 other dealerships & i was quoted over $19,100 each. i'm going to the dealership on monday to finalize everything & hopefully get my new wheels! :)
  • bliz1bliz1 Member Posts: 5
    Is this a good price for this spring sale... Msrp 21605 prices quoted 19535 and 19700 but both are not incl taxes fees etc and add in 599 dealer fee which is common in fl even though no one wants to pay it
  • bliz1bliz1 Member Posts: 5
    in central fl if you have a costco card you can get 19535 however then they add a propack bring th e price back up to 20730 before fees. Also for an automatic there are not many on the lot so difficult to deal with unless they have what you want.
  • saumildsaumild Member Posts: 1
    Hey there!! Just got a civic lx 2013 yesterday. Got 20480 otd. That includes the dealer accessories and honda care for 100K/96months. You might wanna check with lute riley at richardson.
  • nemenornemenor Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2013 ex for 20750 OTD in SoCal incl. wheel locks and cargo net. had to finance small amount to get this price.
    Breaks down to 18863 sale price + 80 doc fee + 18 registration charge + 1555 taxes + 233.75 official fees

thanks to all here for the help!
  • birdyspikebirdyspike Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I got my new 2013 Honda Civic LX Automatic here in MD yesterday. The OTD price (including fees, taxes and processing fee) was $17700 including mud guards, pinstripes and nitrogen filled tires.

I also got the 1.9% financing for 60 months.
  • chayunchayun Member Posts: 1
    I got my Honda Civic LX automatic in VA on 4/29/2013. The OTD price is $18202 and we paid by cash.
  • scavettascavetta Member Posts: 1
    How are you guys getting a ‘13 Civic LX auto OTD for $17,700-$18,200? I’ve talked to 14 dealers in west central FL and the lowest OTD I’ve been offered w\o financing is $19,100. I want to buy a LX for about $18,500 or EX for $20,500 but no one wants to play…. If you’re willing to share your dealer quote sheets please send to jscavetta–at-hotmail.com. Thanks!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Sounds too good to be true? Probably isn't.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • cdfno1cdfno1 Member Posts: 3
    Which dealership did you go to for the deal in MD? Thanks.
    It is Jim Coleman Honda.
  • rdw9876rdw9876 Member Posts: 3
    I got my '13 Black Civic LX coupe for $17,100 OTD. I qualified for the 0.9 percent interest with Honda Financial so I put down $10,000 and financed the other $7,100 over 36 months. All in all, the internet sales department at Pohanka was great to deal with and made the process very painless.
    So you're claiming you got the 2013 Civic LX automatic for $16,400 +TTL?????

Sounds like BS to me.
    Sounds like the last few posts were made by spammers.
    No, there are just a lot of high-volume car dealerships in the DC/Northern Virginia/Baltimore area....thus a lot of competition. If you do your homework and are willing to put in the time to pit dealerships against each other, you can get a great deal.
    Don't brand us as spammers just because we scored a great deal. I did my research and put in quality time to make the deal happen.
  • 858smith858smith Member Posts: 2
    birdyspike, i got mine for $18,500 OTD b/c i took months to research & learn the tools. i was in & out, no negotiating, nothing. the sales manager simply said, "okay". hard work paid off, right?!
  • goku705goku705 Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering is anyone just purchased Honda Civic EX sedan in Il Chicago?
    I'm looking for that car now, I wish to know how much the cost is the best price to buy.
    Please help. Thanks.
    Go to truecar.com and price out the Civic EX that you want. That will give you a good starting point in terms of what sort of deal you can get. Once you have your quote, email the internet departments of the dealerships within a 50 mile radius of where you live and see who will beat/match each other's price for the car you want. Also, you're bound to get a better deal if you're flexible with the color of car you're willing to buy.

The best time to buy though would be when the 2014 Civics start rolling out (if you're willing to wait that long). When the newer models arrive, dealerships are eager to clear out their older stock. Hope this helps. Good luck on getting a great deal on a great car!
    Just like rdw said, Truecar is an excellent way to purchase a car. I bought my Civic through them and got the lowest price possible. But make sure to use the Amex version of Truecar cause prices are a bit lower.

Also tried Carwoo, which has dealers email you their best price. Their best price was about $800 more than the one I got at Truecar.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    The DC area seems to have very competitive pricing, especially from the Honda dealers. If interested send Criswell, Sport, or Pohanka an email request for pricing. Probably better to avoid College Park or Ourisman Honda in the DC area, IMHO.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    It is good to remember True Car does not provide the lowest price possible. In all cases True Car receives $300 from the dealer for all new cars sold through a True Car lead. Any price obtained from True Car should be viewed as the maximum price not the best price.

Recently bought a new vehicle and got it for several hundred lower than the TC target price.

A good way to estimate a price is to start with the OEM invoice, reduce the invoice by the dealer holdback, then reduce by any incentive both customer and dealer incentives. Of course the invoice price is likely not real as dealers get many other considerations from the OEM. However, this method at leasts assures the buyer won't be hurt too badly.
    You've obviously never purchased through Truecar.

I've purchased several cars through Truecar and the prices were ALWAYS the lowest!

I got my 2013 Civic LX automatic for $17k via Truecar...... the lowest from Carwoo was $17.8k...... Carsdirect was $18.2k.... and others were $18k-$18.5k range.

They all receive referral fees from dealers so it's irrelevant.
    "You've obviously never purchased through Truecar." I'm curious how you know that.

This forum is for buyers to share their experiences. I'm happy you had a good buying experience and believe you got a good deal. That doesn't make everyone else on here stupid, though.

I've responded to you once before when you were bashing someone for their doc fee. Now, I see that you're perfectly content paying (albeit indirectly) a referral fee. Seems to contradict your previous point, don't you think?

Lighten up, man. We're all here to help each other.
    Um, the referral fee is paid by the DEALER not by me. Doc fees are paid by YOU the buyer!

$17k isn't an excellent price? It's lower than anyone here has paid, after their outrageous Doc fees. I paid $17k + $80 doc fee. No one here has paid lower.
    And I didn't even have to negotiate at all, just printed out the certificate and showed it to the dealer. Not 1 second wasted on negotiations.

The second lowest quote was $800 higher from Carwoo. It's still a good price since the invoice is $18,423.

Maybe know what you're talking about before opening your mouth, mmmmkay?
    edited May 2013
    "Um," if a dealer is paying a referral fee, you don't think they are passing that along to you?

Once I know what I'm talking about, I'll open my mouth. Until then, I'll just keep typing. "Mmmmkay?"

You seem like a need-the-last-word kind of guy, so have at it.
  • raaawrraaawr Member Posts: 2
    Here's the breakdown of my recent purchase:

Honda Civic Lx 2013
    only added accessories are door edge film and splash guards
    MSRP: $19755 which includes destination fees
    Invoice: $18,599
    Negotiated price: $17,999
    doc and title fees came out to about $378
    OTD price was $18,377

I live in a no sales tax state btw.

And got 1.90 for 60 month financing.

I've checked truecar, kbb, edmunds, and nada and they all range from 18.2k to 18.9k for fair purchase price for my area.

And I tried the Costco buying program, but the purchase price of the car would have just been invoice.

Kudos for those of you getting these cars for around 17k. I couldn't get any dealership to budge once I got down to 18k. Mind sharing some negotiating tips?
  • ninissniniss Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2013
    Wow, no sale tax? I want to move to your place.

I bought 2013 Civic LX two days ago. Similar added accessories like yours plus trunk floor guard or something like that, it has total MSRP of $20,650 (obviously very inflated price for accessories). My negotiated price is $16,800. Pretty good price, i know, but i got killed by $499 doc fee and almost $1.4k sales tax, so final OTD is $18,682. Was hoping to pay with my credit card, but they would add the 3% fee to it so i settled with their 36 month 0.9% financing.
  • raaawrraaawr Member Posts: 2
    no sales tax, but income state tax here is very high. I'd rather pay tax on things I actually buy than just have a bunch of money taken out of my paycheck just to make up for it.

How were you able to talk them down to $16,800? That's such a good price, great job on that deal!
  • ninissniniss Member Posts: 7
    well, long story short - i went to Honda dealership with no intention of buying it because my heart was set on a well-equipped Hyundai Elantra (i was able to get a GREAT price quote from Hyundai with all the rebates). But my confidence on Hyundai waved after i talked to a sales guy at Toyota dealership. He seemed to be genuine and knows a lot about cars. He advised me "go with Honda or Nissan even if you don't buy from us (Toyota). Just don't buy Hyundai, not yet." So i went to Honda just for a test drive. I like the new civic better than the new corolla, but still i wasn't excited about the exterior look and how heavy it is (i kept thinking about the Elantra and was wondering if i should call the Hyundai dealer back). So when the sales guy sit down with the sheet, i was frank with him and told him i liked the Elantra better and the price that Hyundai already offered me. He said there's no way they would sell me for Hyundai's price but asked what price i would take, so i just threw him a number, $16,800. He came back with $16,900 written by his manager and highlighted with "TODAY ONLY." He said his manager agreed for a below invoice price because they want to meet their weekly quote for bonus. I wasn't comfortable with the "had to sign today" pressure (plus thinking of the Elantra) so i was ready to leave, but then the sales guy just pull up two $50 bill from his wallet and put in front of me. He said he's willing to give up his $100 commision on this car to meet my price of $16,800. He explained to me if he meet his quote he'd get $300 bonus for that week so net he'd gain $200 so still worth it to him to give $100 to me (of course i don't know how much truth in what he claimed). I still think the Elantra is a much better deal or better fit for me but since there's the nagging uncertainty of long term reliability issue I decided to just buy the Honda and get over with it. It has been a torture and long process for me trying to decide what kind of car that i really want or need, and i was so sick tired of my indecision. It was a huge relief to finally sign the pape and be done with my car searching.

p.s. - The sales man told me not to tell people how much i paid for this civic. He said if i told other people of $16.8k he'd just deny he ever sold for that kind of price. lol
  • charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    --- No, there are just a lot of high-volume car dealerships in the DC/Northern Virginia/Baltimore area....thus a lot of competition. If you do your homework and are willing to put in the time to pit dealerships against each other, you can get a great deal ---

confirming this. va dealers beat waymouth bigtime for sell. but on outofstate lease for civics or accords or crvs they were jus ok so went local pa