Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cleard2landcleard2land Member Posts: 1
    Found a LX/SE...on my dealers lot. The Honda web site only lists an EX/SE. Long story short is..$ 15,800 in the driveway. An LX with the "wing".."wheels"..and radio, at a great price
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Found a LX/SE...on my dealers lot. The Honda web site only lists an EX/SE. Long story short is..$ 15,800 in the driveway. An LX with the "wing".."wheels"..and radio, at a great price

Read "dealer add ons."
    Still no sunroof and no ABS. Does LX come with cruise control? At one point it was only available on EX and Si.

The SE radio is a $700-900 item when bought retail. Way too much money for a simple Am/FM/CD/MP3/changer. You can get a more robust radio from Crutchfield for less.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Cruise control has been on the Civic LX since at least 88.
  • neilbneilb Member Posts: 6
    I'm in north suburban Chicago.
    I got the following price over the net:

Base MSRP Incl dest ....$19,075

Invoice.................$17,476

Internet pricing........$16,969.20 (B4 tax, title & fees)

It's the last few days of March. I walked cold into a different dealer and he had an EX without the side air bags for $16,990. He said if I bought by 3/31 he would work with me on the price. Are they dealing so much because the 2006's will be revamped? How low do you think I can go?

Any advice wouuld be appreciated.
  • wiredpairwiredpair Member Posts: 25
    Neil,

I assume you're looking at a sedan model. You're about $500 below invoice, which to me is pretty good for purchasing a Honda. Are you getting a financing deal as well?

I am in a similar boat. I'm negotiating a deal with a local dealer on:

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX-SE with 5 Speed.
    MSRP $18,075
    Invoice ~$16,200
    Internet Pricing $16,500

They will not lower the price after sending 25 emails back and forth. They offered free pinstriping (big whoop) and I countered with free foglamps at $16.5k and was laughed at. If I choose, I can get 2.9% APR at this price as well, which I am considering.

One other dealer quoted me $16,695 and Cars Direct was $16,063 and is now $16,263 as of 4/1/05.

Can I do better? I'm thinking of holding out until the re-designed '06 is here with the hope that prices on the '05 models will drop lower. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Eric
  • kracker2kkracker2k Member Posts: 28
    Hi,

I'm looking to probably get a new automatic civic LX. Currently I have negotiated a price on a sedan and want to know how good I have done and how much more I should push.

Honda Civic LX Sedan Automatic
    No additional features.
    MSRP $16,925
    Invoice $15,514
    TMV $16,006
    Negotiated Price: $14,995 +Docs + TTL

Also, I have a couple other questions. What is the SSRS that you are talking about, is this the side air bags or something else?

How much lower from the sedan negotiated price do you think I could get the coupe for?

What kinda of interested rate do you think I could get for 72months with good credit?

Thanks for all the great informationa guys... you really help me get the best deal I can!
    General financial adivce would be not to finance for longer than 60 months, 36 preferrably. 72 month finance will put you in a deep hole if you don't stick with the car for the next 6 years.
    I have actually looked into doing this at 72months... normally I would not like to go over 48 months but since I usually buy American cars they drop in value very fast... at 72months as long as I stick it out for over 1 year the trade in value will still be higher than what I would owe on it. Atleast that is what I'm seeing...

After 3 years and 45,000 miles the trade in should be about $8,900
    After 3 years and 36,000 miles the trade in should be about $9,100
    After 3 years of payments on a 72month loan the remaining balance should be $8,587 at 3.9% interest

That would put me up just after 3 years and then I could get out of it if I wanted to.. was thinking of leasing but I think I can get into a 72month loan for less a month and still be ahead after 3 years instead of even with the lease.

Any suggestions? Can't afford to go 60months thats why I first started thinking about maybe leasing by 72months I think can be less than a lease payment.

Thanks for the help guys, I've never owned a car that kept its resale value so well.
    Honda offers 2.9% for 60 months from time to time. I highly doubt you can get 3.9 for 72 from a bank or cerid union. I would say that 72 months financing will run you at least 6%, given that your credit is good. By good I mean FICO of 720 and above. Also, if you can not afford the 60 month financing, a Primary bank may refuse to finance you because of your debt to income ratio after the purchase. This will put you into the hands of captive finance companies, which will offer you 9% as the lowest interest rate. Right now Honda is offering a $189/month lease with $2000 down for 36 months. You can negotiate better than that. I say $150/month with $1000 down is possible.
    I don't mean that I can't afford it as in I don't make enough, I'm just worried about getting into the laon and getting laid off (I'm in a contracted position with no definate end time). I currently make 75k a year but could be done at any time and need to build up some cushion also. I currently got my purchase price down to $16044.65 after 7% tax out the door but not exactly sure what I want to be doing yet. hmmm
    Just got the price down to $14,939 includes title/doc fees/destination chage. Still working to get lower though :)
  • dteskadteska Member Posts: 12
    I am looking to buy a Civic EX sedan with automatic as soon as I can get rid my old car, a '99 VW cabrio (piece of junk, nothing but trouble).

MSRP incl dest. $18,825
    Invoice $17,247

I don't want to contact any dealers yet (Cincinnati area), until my old car is sold, but I was wondering what my chances were of negotiating a price below invoice. Are there any factory to dealer incentives (none listed on Edmunds)?
    There is a $750 dealer cash if the dealer sells more than 20 I think in the month... I've been negotiating quite a bit with several dealerships and have been pretty successful I think.. I've gottent o $650 below invoice... I would not stop trying if you don't get to $16597 or less... this is only good until the end of the month I think.
  • likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    I'm looking to buy a Honda Civic. I'm either going to go with a 2 door/Coupe or the 4 door Sedan. I'll probably be buying it from Majestic Honda in Warwick, RI. Their prices look good, average and I did a search on here and it seems like a few people bought from there and had no complaints.

I'm looking for advice on how to go about financing it? My credit is pretty good. I know my FICO score is a 666, not sure on the others. I haven't looked into the dealerships financing options, I wanted advice first. I thought maybe about going with Honda Financial or just taking out a loan somewhere like a bank, Eloan or capital one. I'd need about $15,000.

For now, I care more about the lowest monthly payment possible. I figure in a few months I could always do a refinancing thing like Capital One offers and get lower interest or something.

Any advice? Anyone ever finance from Honda or Majestic and know how their rates go or anything?
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Found a dealer with 5 Si models on the lot. Focused on a black si with side air bags. Anyone have some thoughts as to a fair price?

Thanks
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Ok, trading a 2001 Accord Ex V6 Coupe with 35k for an 05 Civic Si.

They want $4800 for it with trade. It's a black Si with side air bags.

Can I do better?

Thanks for any thoughts.
  • kimbo6891kimbo6891 Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a '05 Civic VP or LX in the Louisville, KY area. I have been referred to one dealership (Sam Swope Honda) by three different people, so it couldn't be too bad. They have been wonderful. Our problem was our credit scores were in the mid-500's so that meant a higher rate and less car. I was told that if they couldn't get it done for us, nobody could. They have finally gotten us approved for about $16,000 which would by a VP (Value Package) and it is priced at $15,175. Is that a good price? I am trading my '97 Toyota Corolla that has over 200K miles, but is in otherwise good condition and they are saying the trade-in value will be between $1,000 and 1,500. Since the VP does not have power windows, locks, or cruise control and the LX does, but is priced at $16,925 (no dealer installed options), should I try to get the LX, which will push my payment upwards in the amount of about $35.00 per month. I just don't want to over extend ourselves. That is what got our credit score where it is now, but we're are doing fine now. Any ideas? I don't know what the invoice price is on either model to know if I am over or under on the price. As a buyer that has had a problem getting financed, should I haggle with the people that finally got it to work? Are the finance companies (Honda Credit) really that concerned about the difference in the price of the LX and the VP that they wouldn't allow us to go that route for more car. I checked Kelly Blue Book for trade-in and suggested retail and went back 6 years (my financing terms) and saw that the LX was only worth about $100 more at the end of six years, so is it worth it to have the power windows, locks, and cruise control? Thanks for your input and advice.
  • reuel3reuel3 Member Posts: 114
    You may want to ask this question in our Questions About Financing New Vehicles forum.
    I'm looking to buy a Honda Civic. I'm either going to go with a 2 door/Coupe or the 4 door Sedan. I'll probably be buying it from Majestic Honda in Warwick, RI. Their prices look good, average and I did a search on here and it seems like a few people bought from there and had no complaints.

I'm looking for advice on how to go about financing it? My credit is pretty good. I know my FICO score is a 666, not sure on the others. I haven't looked into the dealerships financing options, I wanted advice first. I thought maybe about going with Honda Financial or just taking out a loan somewhere like a bank, Eloan or capital one. I'd need about $15,000.

For now, I care more about the lowest monthly payment possible. I figure in a few months I could always do a refinancing thing like Capital One offers and get lower interest or something.

Any advice? Anyone ever finance from Honda or Majestic and know how their rates go or anything?

If you are a recent graduate, or will be graduating soon, try Honda finance. Although your FICO is low, the recent graduate program will work for you if you never had any negatives, like not paying on time, or not paying at all. Under the recent graduate program you would qualify for the lowest advertized rate, which is 1.9% right now on the Civic's.
  • dredddredd Member Posts: 4
    I'm in the process of buying a 2000 Civic VP sedan and I'm wondering how much to pay for it. Seller is a private individual and asking price is $6500. Mileage is 132000 but the car seems to be in excellent shape. What do you advise?
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    Three weeks ago, I purchased a Civic two door with list of 14,475 for 12,300 in Nashville, Tennessee. There was a Honda dealer in Knoxville, Tennessee who offered the same for 12,000. I did not want to make the drive.
    I'm in the process of buying a 2000 Civic VP sedan and I'm wondering how much to pay for it. Seller is a private individual and asking price is $6500. Mileage is 132000 but the car seems to be in excellent shape. What do you advise? The timing belt and water pump have been changed by the way. I need some feedback ASAP. Thanks guys.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    $6500 sounds a bit high. Try for $4500 and work your way up. It's a Honda but it's also a 130,000 mile Honda.
  • tsilvatsilva Member Posts: 2
    Have you looked at CarsDirect.com yet.........?
    This is there price in Califonia.

2005 Honda Civic 2dr Hatchback Si

MSRP Price: $19,835
    Invoice Price: $18,168

CarsDirect Price: $18,068

Pricing as of 04/21/05 in zip code 95355

Powertrain
    STDEN-01
    Engine: 2.0L I-4 DOHC 16-Valve i-VTEC
    4-cylinder engine with 2.0-liter displacement, dual overhead cam valvetrain
    STD
    STDTN-01
    Transmission: Close-Ratio 5-Speed Manual w/Overdrive
    STD
    Wheels & Tires
    STDTR-01
    Tires: P205/55R16 89V AS
    tires with 205mm width, 16.0" rim
    STD
    STDWL-01
    Wheels: 16 in. Alloy
    STD
    Seats & Seat Trim
    STDST-01
    Bolstered Front Sport Seats
    STD
    STDTM-01
    Alcantara Seat Trim
    STD
    Other Options
    PAINT-01
    Monotone Paint Application
    STD
    STDRD-01
    Radio: 120-Watt AM/FM/CD Audio System
    STD
    AIR-01
    Front Side Airbags (SRS)
    $228
    CA-01
    California Emissions
    N/C
    Destination Charge
    cddest-01
    Manufacturer's Destination Charge
    $515
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The seller is asking a decent price and I don't doubt it's in great shape. 130,000 miles is nothing for a well maintained Honda.

But...the miles are a killer. Most shoppers would run the other way.

And...It's a Value Pkg. Most buyers think it's too stripped for them. no power windows etc...

Not the easiest Honda to sell.
    So you think I should buy it? This is my first car so I need all the help I can get. Someone else said the price was too high.If it is how much would make it a good deal? I don't really mind about the power windows. I also found a 98 Civic LX asking price $5500 with nearly 80000 miles on it but I noticed the radiator was new and it turned out the car had been in what the dealer referred to as a minor accident. I checked it out on Carfax and the car has had 4 owners. Its also a manual not an automatic. There was also a student's car going for $5000 not as clean; also a 98 Civic LX with 85000 miles. So whats your take on this? Of the three which is the best deal? Thank you.
    And are there any real differences between the LX and the VP?
  • jaspertylerjaspertyler Member Posts: 1
    HI! I'm new and I just bought my first car ever. It is a 2004 Civic LX 4 Door Sedan in Magnesium Grey. It has 19,300 miles and was a previous rental. I am in Milwaukee, WI. The experience was not the best for me because I felt that it was a very serious decision and my sales person seemed to think that it was about as big a decision as buying a sandwich. Also, she did lie to me and tell me that the warranty was included (7 year, 100k) in the listed price. I bought my car for 14,300 plus 989 for that warranty and 500 for gap insurance. Altogether ended up being 16,000 something. From reading previous posts, it does look like I paid a bit much which is a bummer.

I just wanted to share :)
    Marlena
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    In these forums someone will ALWAYS jump in and say the price is too high or that you paid too much. It sounds like a good car at a good price. Nothing wrong with a value package. Just not as much equipment. Nothing you can't live without.

The number of miles and the number of owners does not determine a car's condition as much as the car itself. I would much rather have a well maintained Honda with 100,000 than one with 40,000 miles that's had two oil changes and I would rather have a 100,000 mile Honda than a european car with 40,000 miles.
  • fuzzer34fuzzer34 Member Posts: 28
    Just purchased a 2004 leftover Civic SI, silver for $16,500 in NE PA. The SI doesn't move as much as the other civics so you should be able to get a good deal on either a 2004 or 2005 model. I'd pay no more than invoice. Good luck.
  • hondaohondao Member Posts: 5
    Hi all I am, I am interested in purchasing an used Honda Civic. The car that I recently saw is a 2002 DX, 35000 miles, good engines with some cosmetic problems: deep foot long scratch on the side, bumper is cracked and will have to be replaced, old tires which will have to be replaced. The seller is asking for $8500.
    Q1: is this a fair price?
    Q2: how much would it cost roughly to replace the tires and fix the scratch and bumper?

Thank you so much in advance!
    Thanks man. I appreciate it. Have a good one
  • seattle1seattle1 Member Posts: 1
    Where do you live to negoitiate like this?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Q1: is this a fair price?
    A1:Why don't you use the links here on Edmunds to appraise the car? My guess is that $8500 is high.

Q2:how much would it cost roughly to replace the tires and fix the scratch and bumper?
    A2:Go to tirerack.com to figure tire costs. You're on your own though for body work. How can anyone estimate repairs like that over the net? Take it to a body shop.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    That is not a good price. I was able to purchase a Civic 2005 VP MT for 12,300 in Nashville, Tennessee. I could have bought it cheaper in Knoxville at 12,000. Do not pay that--it is too much. Buy a new one and finance it at 1.9%.
    HI! I'm new and I just bought my first car ever. It is a 2004 Civic LX 4 Door Sedan in Magnesium Grey. It has 19,300 miles and was a previous rental. I am in Milwaukee, WI. The experience was not the best for me because I felt that it was a very serious decision and my sales person seemed to think that it was about as big a decision as buying a sandwich. Also, she did lie to me and tell me that the warranty was included (7 year, 100k) in the listed price. I bought my car for 14,300 plus 989 for that warranty and 500 for gap insurance. Altogether ended up being 16,000 something. From reading previous posts, it does look like I paid a bit much which is a bummer.

I just wanted to share
    Marlena

Hate to say this, but you would have been better off buying new.
  • penyforthotpenyforthot Member Posts: 2
    Chicago area, Grand Honda in elmhurst. 05 Civic EX (4 door), regular model, no dealer options.....16,400 + TTL, howd I do??
    Assuming it was manual tranny and no side airbags, I'd say you did pretty good, about 100 bucks less than invoice and about $1100 less than Edmunds TMV. Even better if it was automatic and/or side air bags.
  • penyforthotpenyforthot Member Posts: 2
    oh, forgot about that, automatic, not manual. but no side air bags.
  • hondaohondao Member Posts: 5
    sorry not sure if this is the right forum to ask about pricing, but I am considering a 2000 Civic EX coupe, no major problems, 31K miles, seller won't go below $8,500. Should I go for it?
  • steve6steve6 Member Posts: 6
    yes, probably, but we're not talking a whole heck of a lot of money, and what's done is done. It's a terrific car (I have exactly the same, including color), and, if it's HondaCare, she got a wonderful warranty and that little gem of an automobile should be good to go for a long, long time. Don't look back, look forward. ;)
    Anyone bought a new Civic recently in Central Florida? Wondering what the going rate here is, if prices are close to invoice and also looking for a dealer recommendation. I'm looking for an LX or VP, auto.
  • su123su123 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a Honda Civic Auto trans.

I've had a used Honda Accord before and am wondering what should be :

1.Fair price for Honda Civic Auto should be in Dallas,Texas.
    2.Should I go shopping around to various dealers?
  • serniterserniter Member Posts: 12
    To confirm prices on current models, look up Edmunds.com 'TMV' (true market value) and carsdirect.com. I'd do this before visiting a dealer.

Does anyone have info on pricing for LX and EX versions of the new Civic coupe or sedan? Thanks.
  • rty1rxcrty1rxc Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my first car this weekend. The dealer final prices was like 14800 and with taxes, document fee, 3.9% 60 month finc, and stuff final total was like 15900. The dealer was eager about selling the car, maybe because it was last day of the month. I thought it was a good deal especially being in NJ.
  • rippedoff1rippedoff1 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Civic LX. Made sure the salesperson knew that I wanted a LX WITH side airbags. During my initial visit to the dealer, I was told that they were not in stock but the sales manager said he could get one from another dealer in 2-3 days so i proceeded with the negotiations. I went back the second day to let them know that I was interested in buying and wanted a test drive. On the second day my salesperson told me that he looked some more and there were LX with side airbag in stock. I thought it was a bit odd that all of the sudden it was in stock but I thought that perhaps they didn't look close enough the day before.

The car was delivered the next day. I questioned the side air bag twice-where was it located? Does "dual stage" mean front and side air bag? I was assured that they were on the side of the door and yes, dual stage means side and front air bag.

To make a long story short, after reading the manual, I realized that there is no side air bag. I called and the dealer said that the price paid was for a LX without side air bags. After a lot of very aggravated calls, i was given a $250 check. I do not think that that is a fair compensation, but the more i was trying to reason with them, the less they were giving me. I thought that I could put the whole bad experience behind me but then I realized that the check, which is imprinted with "two signatures required" only has one signature. You would think that the dealership, after all that, would at least sign a check properly.

Unfortunately, I have no written proof besides something that the finance manager wrote on a piece of paper. Nothing official states that the car was supposed to have side air bag. I assumed that the sales person knew what he was doing and the I thought the the VIN and stock # would mean that it has the side air bag.

Just something to be aware of when looking for additional options on your vehicle. Have them write the option down. don't be stupid like me and assume that the salesperson is knowledgeable.
  • compressedformcompressedform Member Posts: 1
    I got this from the fleet manager at Shack-Findly Honda here in Las Vegas:
    2005 Honda Civic VP Coupe Auto at the Internet price of $13744
    Dealer fees are $626 ($399 doc fee, $199 VTR and $28 title fee = $626))
    Nevada Sales Tax is $1077
    The Total is $15447 (no other charges, add on's or hidden fees will be added or incurred)
    This price is OTD.

The TMV including tax is 15005.
    The Carsdirect price including tax is 15267

Now the question is, can you normally negotiate with fleet managers? It looks like I might be able to squeeze another 500 or so out of them.
  • rippedoff1rippedoff1 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, you can negoitate with them. The price I received from the internet manager or sales person was actually lower when I went in person and asked about the prices than what I was given over the internet. Good luck.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Regarding your Civic purchase.

There is this wonderful thing that trumps the idiot salesperson every time. It's called.....

THE WINDOWSTICKER

Never EVER take a salesperson's word that a car has a certain option unless you can physically see it (side airbags are verified by the tags on the seats) or look at the windowsticker.
  • kmj4458kmj4458 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the civic hx model will be offered for 2006? I am planning on replacing my 97 hx but started looking too late to find anything in a 2005.
  • yyeyye Member Posts: 2
    Hello, all
    I am new here, so please help. Considering a new Honda, the dealer is asking for $17000 (FIRM) including the wheel lock for the alloy wheel.

base invoice w/o destination charge---16960 from edmunds.com
    destination charge---515
    odometer---67 miles
    color--magnesium
    tax in PA---6% (or $1020)
    misc fees---$130.5
    out of door---$18150.5

I am living in central PA and the dealer is asking me to pick up the car within 48 hours. Please advise,