Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hubertyhuberty Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to buy Civic LX 4D Auto in the next few days in NJ, anyone has any suggestion for the best deal around this area? Thanks.
  • chorn1chorn1 Member Posts: 4
    I had a horrible buying experience this week. I contacted an internet buying service to get a phone quote for a 2002 4 dr Honda Civic Ex automatic MSRP 18270. The internet salesperson from David McDavid in Irving, TX contacted me Wednesday and told me he has been selling this car for $15,200 + TTL. I had an ad from another dealer in Ft. Worth for $15,995 + TTL. So I thought I was getting a good deal. After I showed up at David McDavid's (the next day) to test drive the car and negotiate the price the salesperson turned into a complete jerk. He refused to quote me a price and he performed the usual unethical tricks that I have experienced in the past. I finally was to able to submit an offer of $15,400 TTL. The salesperson stated that market conditions had changed overnight and the price of the car was $15,950 + TTL. I said goodbye and left.
  • quepuesesequepuesese Member Posts: 3
    I just bought my first Honda - a manual Civic Lx for $14200 (about invoice according to Edmunds without options)
    I had a great buying experience and I got the vehicle at the price I wanted without haggling. I purchased a 5 yr/100,000 mile extended warranty from the dealer for $900. A bit more what I have read other posters getting it for but I was basically concerned with the mileage on the warranty not the time since I drive 20,000 miles / per year.
    I got a great car at a fair deal. I intially considered the Elantra GT, Ford Focus ZX5 and the Nissan Sentra.
    I was impressed by the Elantra GT at the price offered but reputation ruled over the extras the Elantra offered with me.
    If you are in Eastern North Carolina, Bob Barbour Honda is the place to go.
  • javajawajavajawa Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an 02 Civic LX sedan last night at Ralph Schomp Honda in Littleton, CO. I think I got a great deal on it but I'm interested in knowing what you all think.

My price was $13,749 + $250 (tint) + $450 (sales tax) for a total of about $14,450. The original price on it "was" 13999, but for whatever reason they were offering $250 off all Civics yesterday *only*. I'm thinking it was because it was the last day of the month.

I must say I was pretty pleased through the whole experience. No haggling policy and no hidden fees of any kind to worry about. The one negative on them I guess would be that I couldn't convince them to thrown in floor mats for me. :)

It's interesting to note that I called Mile High Honda (Aurora, CO) to see if they'd do anything with their price and they even told me to go ahead and buy it.

What do you all think?
    After my horrible experience I went to Vandergriff in Arlington, TX. I showed the salesperson an ad from another dealer that was selling the 2002 Honda Civic 4 DR auto (MSRP - $18,270) for $15995 TTL and asked if he could beat the price. He said he could. I wanted ruby red car. The one I tested had side air bags (MSRP $18520) and some dealer extras ($565: tinted windows, appearance trim ?, and floor mats). The total price was $19085. The salesmen sold the car for $16,709. I could have probably negotiated another $100 off the price but the salesperson was honest and I didn't want to play any games. I felt like I got a fair deal.
  • lettercarrierlettercarrier Member Posts: 2
    I've been negotiating for a price on a new LX civic sedan. Automatic, standard features. Only extras are floor mats, mud guards and pinstripes.
    Total prices $15,061. This INCLUDES taxes (VA- $430), tags, and destination charges. According to the sales guy it's the lowest they will go and he says it's a "very good price". If I'm to believe edmunds it appears to actually be below invoice. Should I jump on it and buy it now or wait for the 2003's. My fellow civic owners and buyers out there opinions would be very appreciated.
  • doiredoire Member Posts: 6
    I just took delivery of a 2002 Civic Si yesterday. I got the car for $17,500 which is under invoice, and then I stupidly believed the finance director who quoted the 100,000 mile Honda Care at $1500 and bought it.

I haven't received any information on the Honda Care warranty yet. I think I'll take the refund if I can.

Those of you who cancelled within the first month; can you tell me more about how you did that? Thanks.
  • chalupnychalupny Member Posts: 39
    Just took delivery of a new silver 2002 Civic 4dr Sedan w/ side air bags last night. Bought the car from Reagan Honda in Jefferson City, MO. Buying experience was very positive. MSRP on the car was $15,820, invoice = $14,501 - agreed on a price of $14,435 (with floormats) with the salesman via e-mail. When I showed up to pick up the car they had the car ready for me to test drive while they valued my trade-in, had the financing all ready also. I was there less than an hour to sign all the papers and have the salesman go over where everything was/how everything worked. They didn't try any tricks, everything we discussed via e-mail or on the phone prior to me showing up to get the car was correct and in place when I got there. All in all pretty satisfied.
  • mtyfmtyf Member Posts: 19
    Hi there,
    Sorry if you've seen this post on other discussions, just thought I'd try to reach as many as I could!
    I was wondering if anyone had recently bought an '02 Civic LX (auto, sedan, no extras) in Canada, and what they paid for it?

Thanks
  • lettercarrierlettercarrier Member Posts: 2
    Assume the car you bought was an LX 5sp manual. I had to pay over $400 extra in VA state taxes on my LX automatic (see post #207). Was wondering what your total drive off price was with that INCLUDED?
  • chalupnychalupny Member Posts: 39
    Oh yeah, MO has sales tax. I didn't pay the taxes at the dealer because I had a trade-in and was transfering the licence from my trade in to the new vehicle. The dealer merely took the plates off my trade-in and put them on the new car. I have 30 days to go to a state license office and officially transfer the license. To do this I must pay the sales tax on the difference between the cost of the new vehicle and what I got for my trade-in and show proof of insurance. The prices I was giving did not include the sales tax.
  • achadaachada Member Posts: 3
    Hi --

Today i went to the dealer in Cleveland OH, to get a quote on Civic LX 2002. The sales guy told me 2002 models are on clearance sale and he gave me following quote....

Base price: 14995.00
    Keyless Entry: 316.00
    Cd Player: 390.00
    Splash Gaurd: 182
    -------------------------------
    Total: 15883

I thought keyless Entry was part of base price, but he told me ot is optional...
    I also felt like CD player is little bit expensive.

Looks like they are also getting some manufacture discount on these cars..
    So i am thinking of asking for 14500.00

Just wanted to check what you guys think about this?

Thanks
    Anil
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Anil, are we talking 2002 LX 4-Door Automatic? The base price isn't far off the mark, but I've seen better. The options are pricey also.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    > Base price: 14995.00

Sounds high. Here in Western NY I was able to get get an '02 LX Coupe 5 spd for $14,090. The advertised price from the same dealer for an LX Sedan automatic was $14,400 ($800 cheaper for a 5 speed). Coupe's were more due to limited availablity in the area. The dealer had no Coupes on the lot, but had at least 8 Sedans.

> Keyless Entry: 316.00

About $125 on the web - plus installation. Not included in LX models, but is included on EX models.

> Cd Player: 390.00

About $250 on the web - plus installation. If you really want a CD player consider an aftermarket unit instead. Cheaper and propably more powerful. Also, the 2003 LX models are supposed to come with a CD player.

> Splash Gaurd: 182

About $60 on the web - 4 screws each to install. One of the dealer's I talked to insisted on adding splash guards to all Civics for $139. The dealer I bought my Coupe from included the Splash Guards, floor mats, and pin striping in the $14,090 price.

Good luck!
  • pmpkin123pmpkin123 Member Posts: 14
    Well, as usual I might have waited to long to find a deal as well as the exact car. Oh well...

Chorn, when you went to Vandergriff who was the saleman?

Raybear, would 15,800 be a good or a great price considering no airbags? I feel its great if airbags are included, but i could be wrong! [often if you ask my wife :( ]

I am in the Dallas area as is Chorn. By the way, if i came to California, would I have to pay sales taxes twice, once there, once here?

I never know how it works going from state to state.

Thanks
    pmpkin123
    $15,800 would be a good price. You can get a decent deal in the Houston area if Dallas fails. No need to go to California.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    You only have to pay sales tax in the state where you will register the car. You shouldn't have to pay tax twice.
  • vandalay10vandalay10 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 02 Civic EX Auto with no side airbags here in NJ for $15,250. In and out of the dealer with the car in about 2.5 hours no problems.
    The salesman's name is Tom Ludowissi
  • 20exc20exc Member Posts: 16
    Last month got an EX for the 16 year old soon to be driver and the wife to use to run around town. One month and 2500 miles later getting about 35 mpg. Tonight went and picked up a Hybrid CVT for the rest of the running. Much less road noise and great get up and go compaired to the EX. Will let you all know how the two go next to each other in the same family.
  • jaineesh1jaineesh1 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday I purchased a 03 Civic LX - Auto for $ 14000.00 without any options, the dealer Boch Honda in MA says that he sold this car to me for a loss, edmunds seems to agree, what do you all think?
  • stlshopper12stlshopper12 Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have any good experiences with St. Louis area Honda dealers? I'm interested in buying a 2002 Civic EX, 2door, auto. I have seen Dave Mungenast Honda ads for about $15,500 for them. Just curious if they'll give me less on my trade since the price is low.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.
  • jjleairdjjleaird Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2002 Civic EX Auto for a full $1000 below invoice from Sport Honda in MD! Price was $15,276 + $460 destination + tax and tags. Also had the pinstriping and floor mats thrown in. Last but certainly not least, they offered this great deal together with the 4.9% financing over 60 months! If your interested ask for Julius Crane, he was great! I think they still have a few 2002 EX's and LX's left...
    I'm acquainted with Julius, he's a helluva guy.
  • adventureradventurer Member Posts: 1
    did anyone buy a 03' Civic Lx Manual recentaly, how much is it and where are you, I am at NC. By
    the way the actually price is always round the TMV price in edmunds? Thank you very much!
  • jenb3jenb3 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2002 Civic EX auto sedan (no side airbags) for $15,760 (incl. $460 destination charge). Added floor mats at dealer cost, and also got the 7 yr/70K extended warranty for less than $600 (all the addons on internet deals are set pricing - for warranty it was $100 over cost). And got the 4.9% financing for 60 mos. Bought it at Honda of El Cerrito and worked with Scott Thompson, the internet sales manager.

Have had some pretty bad experiences with Bay Area Honda dealers. In particular had a nasty time with Serramonte Honda - after spending most of my afternoon there I walked out when the "numbers" guy stalled and then refused to respond to my offer ("maybe" and a nasty roll of the eyes just doesn't get my business, especially after his stalling made me late to pickup my kid from school!).

My experience with Scott was completely different. I sent him an email (via edmunds) and then followed up on the phone. I told him I had seen an ad from the previous weekend for $14,998. He politely said he didn't have the advertised cars anymore, but countered with $15,760 (incl. the $460 destination charge, so it was really $15,300). Total phone time = less than 5 minutes. I went in that afternoon and a couple hours later left with the new car.

No "maybe I can get close to that price", no "come on in and we can talk". No talking with the nice salesguy and then getting passed to the sleazy finance guy for "negotiating".

Scott shows the car and does the pricing. The finance guy (just dealt with him for the actual paperwork) was very professional and nice too. Even the parts guy stopped to by congratulate us on our new car. Definitely the easiest car buying experience I've had (last cars I've bought have been Volvo, Chrysler and Mercedes!).

If you're shopping for a Civic (or any Honda) I would highly recommend Scott. His email is sthompson@hendauto.com. Phone # at dealership is 888 760-9339.
  • acissej138acissej138 Member Posts: 4
    One dealer has a demonstrator 02 EX auto coupe with 4700 miles and I can get out the door for $16K. They won't give me enough on my trade-in so I can afford it. The other dealer has me at 16500 out the door on a 02 with 50 miles and still not enough on my trade to get the payments where I want. I feel like these dealers ought to want to move the 02s off their lots when they have 03s sitting there. I guess they know they can always sell a Honda.

I need some advice!
    Well definitely take the 50 mile EX for $500 less BUT I would try to find one with lower miles than that. I always try to keep it below 20 because you never know what kind of nutcase test drove/battered the car on a test drive.

If they won't give you enough for your trade then sell the car yourself or take it to a Carmax if there's one close by.
    But that's silly! How much of a beating can a car get in 50 miles? Aren't these considered durables?
    You would be surprised at what people do to cars on a test drive. The owner's manual says that until 600 miles there should be no full-throttle starts or hard braking. The problem with a car with over 10-15 miles on it is that you don't know how many test drives the car was on where somebody dogged it out and then bought one with 10 miles on it so they could break it in properly. That's why I would really stay away from the one with 500 miles on it. Alot of things can happen to a car in 500 miles.
  • cnsdevilcnsdevil Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. My lowest quote to date for a 2002 4-door Civic EX near Omaha, NE is $15,500. State taxes would be in addition to that price, so about $16,300 total. I was wondering what Raybear and the rest of this community thought about that price. What's a good target price around Omaha/Council Bluffs region? Thanks.
    Also, my second choice is an 03' Toyota Corolla LE -- also for about $15,500. I welcome comments on that price and a comparison of the two vehicles. Thanks!
  • magicomagico Member Posts: 40
    I have a chance to buy a 03 Civic EX Coupe for $17,404. The dealer does extend the warranty for a additional 12 months or 12,0000 miles on top of the normal 36 months or 36,000 miles. They also give you 3 oil changes, first ding is fix free, they will replace your wiper blades twice a year for as long as you own the car. They also give you a card to get 5% off parts or service for as long as you own the car.

Here is my question. I drive about 20,000 miles a year. Should I take the deal above or should I go with a dealer who would give me a lower price but not the options above.
    Is that an out-the-door price or is that $17,404 just for the car?
    Just for the car
  • firephoenix777firephoenix777 Member Posts: 59
    i guess the best way is to calculate throughout those years of ownership, can you recoupe that extra $1,500 (base on what carsdirect.com is selling it for). $17,404 is over MSRP, although with those options. but for a civic, i'm not paying over MSRP.
    since you use it as a beater for commute, why don't you buy a used one. i have one for sale.
    I already have a used one - Its a 93 Civic coupe. I do see that Edmunds TMV was lower to $17,003 - Carsdirect's price is $16,853. I already have the financing through People First, I got a rate of 4.74% which beats what one of the dealers, I went to who offer me 5.49%.

magico
  • jessikajessika Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2002 honda civic LX manual from a dealer in the WNY area. I got it for $14,100, including the destination charge, floormats, and CD player installed. Was this a reasonable price? The dealer cost (invoice minus holdback) is about $13,360 (at least according to the information I have found). Thanks!
    wow, where are you located at? my carsdirect price in california is about $159xx, a few hundred bucks above invoice. since you're going to keep the car, why not a cheaper 2002 leftovers and get the low finance rate (if they still have it)?
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Jessika:

That's a good price, enjoy your new Civic.

bjk
    I live in Connecticut. The MSRP is $18.070. The invoice price is $16,554. I was offer a 02 Honda Civic for $15,800. However I like the interior better on the 03. I also wanted alloy wheels which is now standard equipment. I also look at a 02 Accord SE which I test drove and felt it lack power.
    I think you can do WAY better than $17,400. I would offer invoice and not go any higher. And don't fall for the extended warranty, paint protection, and window etching. If you want floor mats and mud guards to go www.handa-accessories.com or www.manhonda.com. I got mats for my SI for $58 dollars (dealer wanted $100) and I got the splash guards for $80 (dealer wanted $195 installed) and put them on myself in about 15 minutes.
    accord se may be lack of power. but i think it has more power than a civic.

like what anon said, i will offer the invoice and forget about those options. but of course if you think those options are worth the extra price, then go for it.
    So what you saying is offer them $16,600? As far as the Accord SE, it may have been a lemon. It had 189 miles on it. My friend was with me when I went to the dealer to test drive it and he also made a comment of its lack of power. My 93 Civic has more pickup, it maybe a weight vs hp issue since the Accord weighs over 3,000 lbs with a 150 hp engine.
    that's what i would do. if you're not in a hurry, wait for the price to drop. but if you are, i'll start with invoice. if no dealer wants your business, then i would show them carsdirect.com price and see if the dealer can beat it or not. if not, try a few more dealers. if still no luck, then go with carsdirect. for $16,600, i assume you're getting an auto tranny w/ side air bag. the carsdirect.com price i got is $100 over invoice (which i think is too much). also keep in mind that prices tend to go below invoice during year-end clearance (i mean that year's model), especially the civic.
    if you decide to have the options, then i guess they cost you an extra $800 (i assume you're getting auto tranny w/ side air bag). you have to decide if they're worth it or not.

but like what i said before, it's up to you to pay the extra for the options. nothing wrong with that as long as you're happy.
    I will try it. The carsdirect price is $300 dollars over invoice which is $16553. That does not include side airbags. It is a automatic. The loan I have I have to use the check by December 1st.
    oh you know what else you can do. send emails to the dealer's internet sales department and ask for their best price. most of the times, they do their business based on volume and not on commission, so they might be able to give you a better deal. good luck.
    But you probably won't get the dealer's "best" price unless you do it in person. Find a dealer and a salesman that you are comfortable with and make them an offer to buy the car. If they refuse then go somewhere else. The e-mail approach can work but you are probably better off going in person because then you are a possible sale that day not just somebody on the internet.

What city/state do you live in?
    You can haul yourself around forever and fail to get a decent price. Internet and fleet managers are trained to move product without fuss, they're the ones you need to contact and that's by email or online.
  • mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    Hello, I just bought a 2003 Civic 4dr LX Auto. I paid 16,300 out the door (this included GAP insurance).

1- Did I do good?

2- Has anyone else noticed that when you turn up the dash lights with the lights on and it is fully up, once you turn off the car and leave it off for a while and turn it back on, the lights will default to the lower setting?
    1) i think you did good. consider the invoice is $15,094.
    2) the dash light never return to a lower setting in my civic, although it's a 2001 model.

regarding that GAP insurance, i have a basic idea about how it works but not too sure. if i owe less than the trade-in value, is it unnecessary for me to get GAP insurance?

hey, no offense. i just wonder why ppl ask if they get ripped off or not after buying the car. shouldn't you ask before you buy? maybe the salesman didn't let you leave the dealership huh? again. no offense. just wonder. :P