Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• roundtriproundtrip Member Posts: 105
    GOOD JOB!
    I'm jealous. You beat my good deal by $351.
  • vhreb123vhreb123 Member Posts: 83
    Hey roundtrip, thanks for the recomendation at Sunny King. I might get the Accord VP instead of the Civic. I checked on their website and the only Civic they had was a Civic DX with manual transmission. Anyways thanks for everything... neighbor! :shades:
  • dwilliamdwilliam Member Posts: 128
    Sunny King is pretty good. I am from that area (B'Ham) and am now a General Sales Manager at a Honda Dealership in the Houston area. Good prices on Civics folks.

The Anonymous Dealer
  • hgbeehgbee Member Posts: 38
    Did you try Reliance Honda in lake Jackson, 50miles from Houston. They see very fair and honest on price
    I'm sure they will get more Civics. They even had 3 Civic hybrids 2 weeks ago. Don't rely too heavily on their website numbers, though. I don't think it is accurate. If I'm down that way in the next few days, I'll take a peek at their lot. When I bought my car, they traded one from their lot for my color in B'ham. Of course, that put miles on my brand new car. :(

Nevertheless, I think you'll get a better bang for your dollar with the Accord. They have and have had TONS on the lot. I'm sure you can get the color and trim of your choice for less than Edmund's TMV (even the LX or EX instead of VP.) If I hadn't had to have great mileage for my daily commute, I would have gone for the Accord. I like the bigger size and a few of the options.

Best Wishes
    Hey roundtrip, did you by any chance check out Tameron Honda, up in Hoover? That's the dealership I am closest to. I've already talked to a sales rep and they are nice. They don't put any pressure on you to buy anything. Sunny King Honda is about a hour away(61 miles) from where I live. I don't want to go there and get turned down from a price and definatly not, and I quote, "We don't have it in stock anymore." But if Sunny King can really save me some money and is trustworthy, I would be happy to give it a try.
    Hey dwilliam(The Anonymous Dealer), do you work anywhere close to Vestavia Hills?

*Oh and since you're a dealer and all, can you tell me some ways to get a good price on a car like the Accord.
    Roundtrip says Sunnyking Honda is able to sell a LX on TMV or less. I personally prefer whichever one is less (Value Package or LX).
  • twodapartytwodaparty Member Posts: 3
    "2006 Honda Civic Lx (2 door coupe) for $18,400 with taxes and all dealer fees. They also gave me $3000 for my 2001 Hyundai Accent GS. I got it at Pompano Honda. We did have to bargain significantly with them to get them down there as they were in the $19,000's out the door to begin with."

"That's difficult to figure out as there's variables, like the sales tax rate in your county, amount of the dealer fees, whether $3K is high or low for your trade, and assuming you financed it, the financing terms. Who knows, they may have figured the sales tax before your trade and ripped you for that difference."

The tax rate in my area is 6% There were no dealer fees because I went through the internet and a Costco quote which we bargained down from. Costco members get no dealer fees we found out. I was offered $3,000 for my Accent from Carmax (before their $250 fee) and the dealership gave me $2,600 but deducted it from our final price to help us with tax savings. As far as financing we were offered 5.49% which was better than the 5.99% Capitol One bankdraft we went in there with.
  • twodapartytwodaparty Member Posts: 3
    "Paid 17200 dealer included Body Side Moulding with that price. So paid about 17,070 (+129for BSM) So the OTD price was 18630someting. Dealer was Brookdale Honda."

Man, I forgot all about Body Side Mouldings. Honda Civics don't come standard with them like a lot of other vehicles do. I don't want my new car to get beat up. You think if I go back and ask them to add them to my car I could get it done for a decent price? Also, how do the BSM make your Civic look compared to what it looked like before they were added. I would love to see a picture with them if possible. Thanks.

I already put on some door guards I bought.
  • jopadmanjopadman Member Posts: 27
    Hgbee
    How do you know about Reliance Honda? Is that where you bought your civic? What was your price? 50 miles isnt too far too drive for me if they give me a great deal. Thanks for the info
  • tbergen07tbergen07 Member Posts: 1
    I signed the contract yesterday and will be picking up my new 2006 Civic LX Sedan A/T tomorrow, for $17915 including everything (6% PA sales tax, documentation, title and registeration). This is at Ray Price Honda, East Stroudsburg PA, which is a great dealership where people are honest (they don't play games) and easy to talk. Would recommend this dealership whole-heartedly to anyone. Tried two other dealers (Burne Honda in Scranton and Motorworld in Wilkes-barre) and they wouldn't budge more than $250 of MSRP and I'd have to be put on a waiting list to get the color I wanted (Galaxy Grey).
  • juchejuche Member Posts: 6
    Hi, can anyone give me general OTD prices of '06 LX w/ A/T in the Bay Area and Sacramento? I'm in Salt Lake City now but I'll be moving to Davis in a couple months, if I can find a cheaper price out there, as in below $19K OTD (or even $18k?), I'll just wait. There are hardly any Civics on the lots here and they're going for $19K plus, from what I know. If anyone found anything cheaper in the Salt Lake area, lemme know, thanks! (I'm a first time buyer btw).
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    cornholio? You must be a big Beevis and Butthead fan..LOL
    Just check out the Accord forum here and check the TMV pricings. (Great negotiation tool) VP is less expensive than LX. Do your research as to which one truly fits you best. The prices are not too far apart. Price is important but you don't want to be unhappy with your car 6 months from now.

Unfortunately nowhere near Vestavia Hills anymore. When I was in B'ham we lived in the Sumiton/Dora area as well as the Jasper area. Have many many freinds in the B'ham area. Moved to Austin, TX about 9 years ago and am Running the entire Sales Division (New, Used, Wholesale, Buying, F&I depts) for a Honda Dealer in the Houston area. I do miss B'ham though. Lived there for about 7 1/2 yrs.

Good luck with your negotiations and purchase.

The Anonymous Dealer

P.S. I noticed someone say they didn't like the Dealer calling instead of continuing by E-mail. It is unfortunate that the Dealer tried a hard sell but I actually prefer to discuss everything by phone once initial contact is made (Or at least after pricing is discussed.) It really makes things go a lot faster for both parties. We are not a "Tough sell" Dealership though. I know it sounds trite but we really are very easy going and just want to wrap things up for the customer as fast as possible. Too often everything slows down in the middle beacuse no one is there to answer the E-mail on one end or the other.
  • cornholiocornholio Member Posts: 4
    The Quoted Price on the BSM is 249.00 They were preparted to give it for $129, In reality its probably worth less than 50 bucks.
    Dwilliam, seems like you're doing pretty good for yourself! You're right, Birmingham is nice. The local dealer is VERY friendly. Anyways, best of luck in Austin, Texas! ;)
    vhreb123
    It might have been Tameron Honda. I just remember the guy's first name (which I can't print on here.) They were contacted through one of those web sites that finds price quotes. For me, they just were not as responsive to my e-mailed OTD price as I needed them to be. I was going to buy my car sometime in the next 10 days and needed some serious negotiating on their part. It may have been that they just did not have a good internet sales dept., unlike Sunny King. If you feel comfortable with face to face negotiations, the e-mail thing won't bother you. I would have driven to B'ham if they had given me my price. As it turned out the closest dealer to me went below my OTD price with some free service. I got both convenience and price.
    You can always e-mail or call Sunny King. Let them know they were recommended but that you live 60+ miles away and are only willing to deal with them if they can give you your OTD price. If you let them know time is money for you, I think you will get a positive response. I'd also let Tameron know that you would really like to deal with them as they are your local dealership, BUT you've set your budget for $??? OTD. Plus, remind them that they will get your servicing business (that is, if they really will.)
    Remember that you have Grissom in Gadsden, too. It may be 20-30 miles closer. They were ready to deal and had stock at the end of the month. I'm sure they too will get more Civics. Folks act like they are 'special editions/limited' or something.
    As with all of us, the best deal for you is the one you feel good about. I'm really glad (relieved) that I did not have to travel to B'ham. I would have had an anxiety attack trying to drive my brand new car home on I-20.
    tbergen07
    Great News!
    Sounds like a good deal to me.
    More proof that it pays to do your research and shop around.
    You even did the face to face thing. :shades:
    dwilliam
    That was my comment (roundtrip) about the dealer calling me. My entire strategy, if one could call it that, was to deal through e-mail, low pressure and more options. As I am on summer break (I'm a teacher), I would check my e-mail several times a day. That way I could almost immediately respond, and I did so. I had already made it clear that I had done my research, what my car choice was, that I already had financing, and I was solid on my OTD price. There were not a lot of unanswered questions left for a phone chat. Any of the three dealers who e-mailed me back were certainly willing to write, "This is the best I can do." In fact, the B'ham dealership did this very thing. It was the next day that I got my best deal from the dealership 8 miles away. Then I called the salesman and accepted the offer. At the close of the deal, the salesman said he liked the way I negotiated. He said I was firm but not too defensive. He claimed I had "whooped" him on the price and that that was the lowest price he had ever sold a Civic. I returned the complement by saying I appreciated how he worked with the OTD price, didn't call me, and didn't pressure me. (He nearly had to pick his chin up off the floor when I walked in with my husband and I introduced myself---a 36 yr. old unskinny :P woman without a lick of makeup or hairspray.) He might have been full of BS with his complement. I don't know. However, I was sincere and impressed with his selling style.
    And after I bought my car, I e-mailed all the dealerships who responded with at least one e-mail with a "thank you for your time in negotiating and that I had bought a car from my local dealership for below my asking price." I would have even responded to further e-mails as to what they could have done to improve the negotiation. Nobody seemed interested, though. Although I did respond to the surveys sent to me by the web sites who hooked me up with the dealerships.
  • gazinegazine Member Posts: 2
    Bought it with invoice price from Capitol Honda in San Jose, CA. Most of the dealers in the Bay Area are selling it $500 above invoice so I think I just got lucky. But I did a lot of research before I went it. It paid off at the end. :)
  • greeniemoogreeniemoo Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a Civic LX Sedan AT at $17385 plus tax and fees. This seems to be a decent deal for the LA area. Most of the dealers we went to either wanted to sell above MSRP or wanted to add in extra stuff we don't need (like $229 for chrome exhaust). We ended up going to Honda World in Cerritos and they were very honest, up front and didn't do any tricks like charging an arm and leg for aftermarket features. It seems that up in Northern California the Civics are better priced. Maybe down in LA the demand is too high.
  • greeniemoogreeniemoo Member Posts: 4
    That is an excellent price, good job. Did you have to hard bargain at all? Is it manual or AT?
  • yykkyykk Member Posts: 14
    We are living in NJ and planning to get a Civic LX (4door AT) at the end of this month. Do you guys thing $17,000 OTD is possible (a good price)? Any reply will be welcomed and appreicated.
    impossible! lowest price i've seen here is 17,800 out the door price. here in texas, lowest price i've been quoted is $18,455 out the door
  • yykkyykk Member Posts: 14
    Thanks jopadman for your reply.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Got this price down here in South Florida...they wouldn't budge below. Really wanted to pay $16,750., but no luck!

The Sandman :):):)
    greeniemoo
    Bully for you!
    This is about the best price I've seen yet.
    yykk
    Wouldn't say it was impossible, just unlikely. On the other hand, I'd wait until the last week of July to get serious. '07 cars are coming out really soon, too. You might catch someone on the ansy side needing to clear out some inventory.
    vhreb123
    Update--
    It wasn't Tameron.
    Brannon Honda on Gadsden Hwy was the one that contacted me.
    I don't know anything about Tameron.
    Try the NADA web site to find dealers within 25-125 miles and see their inventory. If this info. is accurate, it's raining civics within 75 miles of my house.
    It's impossible to compare OTD prices w/o knowing the state fees. I'm in central Florida (6% sales tax, $150 for registration transfer. $499 dealer fee). You're in NJ, different sales tax rate, different reg. fees, different dealer fees.
    Thank you... sincerely.

I am glad you have a great dealer in your area. We are trying to be the "Premier Dealer" In the Houston market and just need to keep providing great service and we will get there!

WAR EAGLE! (sorry... wife graduated from Auburn!)

The Anonymous Dealer
    dwilliam

you said "houston". where are you in houston, what dealership do you work for?
  • hi2ux4hi2ux4 Member Posts: 11
    What is a fair price on a 2006 Honda civic EX sedan , manual transmission? Thx.
  • stevenreisstevenreis Member Posts: 1
    Reliance Honda
    Lake Jackson, Texas

EXCELLENT rating for dealership and entire staff. Experience was comfortable and enjoyable. Price paid: $17,060 for LX. Dealership went out of it's way for days to locate the car I wanted and have it brought. Can't speak highly enough of their courtesy. Price was as good as I could get even using an independent third-party negotiator. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this dealership. And of course, the Civic LX is a great vehicle. It is replacing a 2005 Civic which was rear-ended at highway speed by a drunk driver, spun out, smashed into a concrete barricade. Both driver and passenger (my son & girlfriend) walked away with only slight bruising. If I hadn't been a believer in the safety of this vehicle before, I sure would be now!
  • gwarrenflgwarrenfl Member Posts: 96
    Lots of posts on what it would, or has cost for the Purchase of a new Civic. However it has gotten very confusing, being some are adding in other costs like Taxes and tag fees etc. Taxes and other "State fees are different from State to state, and are not "Negotiable". The Dealer only collects the money for the State. and we have to pay them.

THE ONLY $ references should be to what you are paying for the vehicle itself and the "Dealer Fees" if any.
    THAT IS THE AMOUNT YOU ARE PAYING FOR THE CAR.

Remember that the dealers like to keep us confused on the costs. So if we stay focused, on what we can negotiate then you will more likely get a "FAIR DEAL"
    Being Honda does not offer many options it's easy to stay on track.

I suggest the following facts be included
    1. Model EX, LX or SI
    2. Auto or Manual
    3. Nav if included.
    4. PRICE AND ONLY the PRICE
    :)
    Congrats on your purchase. What was the total drive out price of the car after tax, title and fees? I'm dealing with them now and so far they've quoted me the best price.
    I apologize for not answering the question. I use the forum to assist in the car buying experience for all of you good folks from the dealer perspective. The forum is not supposed to be used to solicite/advertise and although it would be GREAT to scream out the name of our Dealership it would most certainly violate the "Rules of the Road" and I have far too much respect for these forums to do that. (not really ethical to "toot my own horn" either... how can you trust the guy to say "Buy from me at Honda XYZ we are the best and lowest!") I would hope you would after buying a car from us. Hopefully I have passed on some good information for prospective buyers. I comment in several of the Honda Prices Paid forums.

Suffice to say I am a General Sales Manager in the Houston area.

Anonymous Dealer OUT!

I hope that all made sense!

(not affiliated with Edmunds.com or any online advise column. Past sales do not predict future purchase prices. All information contained herein is opinion and not to be taken as fact nor fiction. Always decide for yourself what is right. The majority of this disclaimer is made up and is not legal in any kangaroo court or ardvark for that matter :P )
    Nice post, but don't forget dealer or doc. fees as well as destination. Basically everything except state fees for sales tax, title, and registration.
    well, how could i buy a honda from you if i don't know what dealership you are from. I understand and respect your angle but could you at least recommend a dealership in the houston area. ;)
    Why don't you two update your profile and make your email addy public? Then exchange emails.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,211
    dwilliam has it exactly right... He can't post on here and give advice as a dealership employee, if he identifies where he works....

...or, even tries to hint in the teensiest, eensiest way..

So, there ya go.. ;)

Thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

LOL I was wondering if I was showing up on your radar. I am pleased that I haven't done anything to wrinkle your brow!

And I must be on base with my comments, cause you obviously know your stuff and haven't come down on me.

Three Cheers for the Host! ;)

(and don't worry. I have already declined Email and location as you are aware!)

The VERY ANONYMOUS Dealer :shades:
  • wavegwaveg Member Posts: 2
    " Best I'm getting is abouty 20,500 OTD.

Or 18,964 before tax and license."

It is about one month later and I am in similar situation.
    I am in Marin looking for Civic EX Sedan AT. I am ready to travel ~100 miles to get a good deal.
    Were you able to get a car you wanted at the price you wanted at the end? Would you please share your knowledge with me- I am sure you became an expert at the end of the process.

Thanks a lot.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I'm looking for a 4dr/EX. one dealer quotes me $18964 plus tax/title/tags OTD $20,515. He said the $18,900 was employee pricing which is $700 over invoice??

Another dealer said $19500 plus tax/title.

Does anyone know what a good price to be at on this vehicle? I have never purchased a Honda, usually the vehicles I buy I can get pretty close to invoice. The dealers I have talked to said they don't discount much on Hondas? :confuse:
  • gwarrenflgwarrenfl Member Posts: 96
    Draymond,

I believe that the $18,900 which is truly $700 over the Invoice price "IS A VERY FAIR DEAL". I did a lot of searching before my purchase as I bought "TWO" at the same time. I had a lot of negotiation before getting to that same price. Right now they sort of have the upper hand as the demand still exceeds the supply. Even more so if you are looking for a coupe like I was. Keep in mind that these cars are "Not" sitting in the lots too long, so when you have a good deal take it.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Nope, they haven't budged and neither have I.

Haven't had contact with any dealer since then.

I'm open to other models so I haven't pushed it as much.
  • blinkflowerblinkflower Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in getting the Civic LX Sedan AT. I'm a first time buyer, and I don't know much. I went to a dealership yesterday to check things out and they said $19,600, but after a little bit they said $18,400 (They said they were slow and this was a good deal, but that seemed too high). This was before all the CA taxes and fees. Then I went online to get some quotes and have gotten prices at $17,100 including destination, but without fees. Can anyone tell me the current prices for the Civic LX in San Jose/Bay Area? Any help would be much appreciated!
  • gazinegazine Member Posts: 2
    It is an AT and I did bargain a bit but not too much compare to my previous experience to get that price. I envy people who only have to pay 2% sale taxes because it makes a $800-$900 different in the OTD.
    gazine
    Yeah, the 2.5% (.5% is for the county) is great for the pocketbook, but our public school systems (AL) suffer. As a teacher, I somewhat envy the 6-9% sales tax revenue other states get.
    As a consumer, I still would have had the same OTD price even if the sales tax was 6-9%. The dealer, had he accepted my offer, would have had to take a cut in the price of the car.
  • phil_in_socalphil_in_socal Member Posts: 28
    bf, i think there's a misunderstanding between you & the dealer you went to. 06 lx auto sedan msrp should be about $18,060 (destination charge factored in). fair price should be $ 17,068 ($500 over invoice). i got mine (so cal) for $600 over invoice in May.

be careful with some figures being posted here specially bout "out the door" price as they are not specific on what other costs were added from the negotiated price of the vehicle (e.g. extended ins, gap coverage, local taxes and other add ons). negotiate your price of the car then deal with other costs.

standard cost in cal should be: state tax between 7 - 8.25% (depends on which county you are), cal tire tax - around $8, doc prep - mine was $45 (definitely question if this cost more than $75), dmv registration. it's up to you if you'd like to purchase the extended warranty, gap coverage, lo jack and scheduled maintenance coverage. any other costs are bs (at least in cali).