Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    Sounds totally right. Enjoy it. :)
  • Options
    jim_beamjim_beam Member Posts: 10
    Folks,

I recently bought a 2007 Honda a CIVIC LX with automatic transmission. The salesman emphasized that I should change the oil at 1000 miles the first time as the 'factory oil' doesn't last long. Googling for this, I came across some other postings where people say, the 'factory oil' is specially formulated for break-in of engine components and that it should be used for the first 5000 miles. There was also another school of thought which said the oil may contains contaminants from the factory and it is best to change it as soon as possible.

My thought is to change the oil based on the indicator. However, I would like to know what others think of this recommendation. Any thoughts or opinions shared would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    JB
  • Options
    terrypm1terrypm1 Member Posts: 79
    JB

My mom just bought a Accord. The salesman told her to do her first oil change at 7500 miles. He claimed there was special oil in it and DO NOT change it any sooner.
    I am inclined to think like you. Watch the oil life index guage and follow it.
  • Options
    editor2editor2 Member Posts: 64
    Hi, Interesting, because our salesguy told us the same thing, and then the service people said absolutely not, and to follow the oil indicator. They said to do it when it gets to about 15% and that sooner is un-ecological and unnecessary mechanically. Even more interesting is that the Honda manual itself has nothing to say about oil change interval, unlike in the past. So, in short, I did wait to change it until the indicator said 15%. If you wait, eventually a service light will come on, in case you didn't think to check the oil indicator gadget. Very cool in design, I feel.
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    First off, RTFM and see what it says - that and the maintainence schedule that comes with your Honda should spell out for you any break in recommendations and the oil change interval.

On MY new Hondas there was no early oil change needed unless you follow the "rough duty" schedule - otherwise you change it when the oil indicator says to (if equipped) or the maintenance schedule that comes with your car says to. I normally change a little more often than what car manufacturers say, but it depends on what they say.

You could also ask your service manager, but I think he or she should echo what is printed in the material that came with the car. They MAY recommend something more frequent but that is not really to extend the life of your Honda, that is to increase the dealership's revenue.

Dennis
  • Options
    rexzyrexzy Member Posts: 7
    Just put a deposit on 08 civic si coup black on black
    price was 21000
    taxes are 6.5, so OTD was 22500
    How is this deal?
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Not sure about the manual of the Civic, but the Manual of the '07 Accord and the '07 CR-V don't tell you when to get oil changes. The manual of my '04 Accord does say when to get oil changes (10k normal, 7.5k severe). The manuals of the '07s mentioned above do seem to tell yo to follow the oil life meter thing, but I can understand being a little hesitant to follow that since it's more of a timer type thing right?

So that's why I can understand the owner coming here to seek advice. But maybe the Civic maintenance forums are better to post on for that question.
  • Options
    The full MSRP with destination is $21,735, so your deal is a whopping $735 off of full price - so not much of a deal.

That said, in most parts of the country Si coupes (but not sedans) sell as soon as the unload them off the truck if not sooner and most dealers over little or no discounts. Assuming your part of the country is like that, then by getting $735 off of full price "you did good" :D .

Dennis
  • Options
    They took out the maintenance schedules? The newest Honda we have in the family is an 06 and that and the 05 models still have a service schedule.

In any case the "Maintenance Minder" is supposed to monitor driving conditions and recommend when an oil change should happen. If you did a lot of constant speed highway driving you would get more miles before the minder thinks it is time for a change, a lot of short trips where the car barely warms up or a lot of stop and go traffic and you would get fewer miles before it would decide an oil change was needed. I think that if you spend a lot of your time at or near the redline your minder would recommend a change a lot quicker as well :D .

If they DID put special break in oil in the motors then they would program the minder to have you come in once that break in was done. They would probably also provide this change free of charge to keep folks from complaining that their just purchased car already needed an oil change. The M5 I used to have had special break in oil and came with a tag on the shifter for you to come back for the (free) change after just a few miles - and the dealer even would remind owners.

Dennis
  • Options
    rexzyrexzy Member Posts: 7
    Yeah I am in Chicago, and they said, there is like a whooping 1 coup si in whole state.
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Yeah, I've seen other people post around to asking what to do because it's just no longer in the manuals. So the maintenance minder thing is a "Smart" device? I thought it was just a timer. If that's the case, then I'll just depend on that.
  • Options
    jolleyredbudjolleyredbud Member Posts: 2
    well it's a cpe and the question was the about the neg. price so.. the total I was given so far was 17800 + TTL and thats getting closer. I understand realistic price however I dont want to get screwed on the bck end. Some quotes have been 21,200 + TTL now that is unrealistic...
  • Options
    Here is a little movie about the minder - this page is for the Accord coupe - but the system is the same on all Honda cars AFAIK.

Click Here

Dennis
  • Options
    drivmywifecrzydrivmywifecrzy Member Posts: 61
    Anyone buy one yet? How much did you pay? I can't find invoice anywhere yet.
  • Options
    Honda Civic EX-L w/Navigation System 4dr Sedan

$23,095 MSRP
    $21,295 Invoice

Dennis
  • Options
    drivmywifecrzydrivmywifecrzy Member Posts: 61
    So is $23,000 OTD unreasonable (7% tax)
  • Options
    Invoice including destination + reasonable dealer profit - known dealer incentives = a good price.

A good price + your local taxes + your state taxes + your title fees + your tag fees + any other required fees = your reasonable price.

Way too many variables to know what your OTD price should be, but you can work that out for yourself based on your local taxes and fees.

Some high volume dealers will sell for invoice - incentives + maybe a doc fee, some may sell slow movers for less, most will want to make a little more (other than hold back).

This early in the model year deals may be harder to find unless you take a left over 07. You can also try at the end of the month when the dealer is more motivated to discount.

Dennis
  • Options
    dealerbwaredealerbware Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 08' 4dr civic Ex with Nav on September 25th and paid $22,400 out the door. I just got my title in the mail today. Hope that helps although I know it's not the EX-L. I was told if I wanted the leather it would have been exaclty $1,000 more but I didn't want leather.
  • Options
    unboringunboring Member Posts: 3
    Dealer gave me

2007 LX with Auto
    Car $16300 + tax + title

2007 EX with Auto
    Car $17900 + tax + title

Los Angeles Area.
    Is it good deal?
  • Options
    g35king1g35king1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi for EX looks like its a good deal, If you can please let me know the Dealership name....Thanks.
  • Options
    g35king1g35king1 Member Posts: 2
    What's best deal on 2008 Civic EX,AT,4DR so far. It doesn't hurt if it's 2007 EX, AT also. Please help me to find the best OTD or Price Before TTL. I'm in SoCal Area.
  • Options
    riddlermythriddlermyth Member Posts: 40
    Awesome deal on the LX!!! :surprise:

I just got a 2008 automatic Civic Sedan for $17,249 + tax+ title, which included $100 for door edge guards and the protective wheel moldings. I probably got charged too much for the "accessories" (all of the cars at that dealership had it). But had I waited a mere 10 minutes :mad: , I could have gotten the car for $17,140 without the stupid moldings. But I'm very happy with my car.

The best part was that I did 95% of the negotiation on-line, and the remaining 5% on the phone. I even had the guy pick me up (20 miles! :P), and was never pressured. I had a *great* experience. They did try to get me to buy the protective 3M stuff and extra stuff like that, but I declined.

Awesomely, I was able to get the 4.9% interest - and overall am VERY happy Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm so glad I got this instead of the Corolla :shades:

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    So what price did you negotiate before taxes, title, etc.?

My son is interested in an EX-L Nav (I realize your price would be $1,000 cheaper)
  • Options
    teasipteasip Member Posts: 16
    MSRP with Dest., Wheel Locks, Splash Guards, Auto D/N Mirror/Compass with Attachment, and Trunk Tray $22,477. Paid $21,800 (w/o options would have been $21,000). Went ahead and paid $299 up front as well for lifetime window tint once the vehicle arrives (Rallye Red). Loaner car and free car washes from dealer. 2.9% for 36 mos.. Relatively painless process. Original price quote was $25,000! Another quote from another dealer was $22,500 without any options. Two dealers failed to offer a price by mid-afternoon today following request from yesterday evening. :D
  • Options
    warunainowarunaino Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a civic LX (Auto,2007) and the best deal I got was 17200 (excluding tax....). Any deals better than this? i am a recident of OH.
  • Options
    nj_buyernj_buyer Member Posts: 11
    Has any one bought 2008 Civic LX AT 4dr recently? I am getting a final price of $18100 from a central NJ dealer which includes - doc fee + destination + tax + 2 accesorries insalled. I have to pay title extra. How does the price look? Comments appreciated.
  • Options
    vicky11vicky11 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Could you please tell me which dealer you got this pricing from and did this include the destination charge ?
    Thanks heaps for your help.
  • Options
    riddlermythriddlermyth Member Posts: 40
    17,200 is pretty good. I got mine for 17,249 which included mats ($99), and door and wheel edge guards ($100). So do the math, and if you don't want that stuff, it should be $17,049. Good luck. Let us know how it goes! Oh, and be sure to get the low interest (or try)
  • Options
    esc38372esc38372 Member Posts: 8
    My family bought two 2008 Civics LX with automatic transmission for $18,043 OTD from Autowest Honda (Fremont, CA) in the SF Bay Area today (10/13).

Here's the breakdown:
    Price including destination charge: $16,349
    doc fee: $55
    vehicle registration fees: $171
    CA tire disposal fee: $8.75
    electronic filing fee: $28
    8.75% sales tax: $1,431

I had a great experience overall. I started researching cars last night. This morning, I filled out quote requests at several websites, including edmunds.com, kbb.com, carsdirect.com, and cars.com. I asked for the prices of 2007 and 2008 Civic LX-ATs and also said that I might buy two cars if given a multiple volume discount.

I received e-mail quotes from 14 Honda dealers in the Bay Area. One dealership (Winter Honda in Pittsburg) offered me a 2-car discount price of $16,349, including DC, for a 2008 Honda LX-AT. That was the lowest quote I received, even lower than my lowest quote for a 2007 Honda LX-AT ($16,488 from Marin Honda). Autowest Honda originally offered me $16,795.

When I asked Autowest to match or meet Winter Honda's price, at first the Internet sales manager said the other price quote must be for a 2007, not a 2008. When I told him, it was a quote for a 2008 including DC, he was incredulous and said that Winter Honda is selling cars at a loss. He finally said that I could forward the quote to him, and then he would ask his general manager.

I forwarded the quote to him, and the Internet manager called me back, saying that the GM would match that price quote if I bought 2 cars today. We went to the dealership late this afternoon and closed the deal. The only problem was that the Internet manager was very busy, and we had to wait quite a while (it took several hours to finish the paperwork), but we had no hassles over the price. Also, we had to choose from the cars/colors on the lot.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I found the previous posts helpful and hope that this post helps others too.
  • Options
    rich@garlandrich@garland Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to buy via email.

What is a reasonable offer for an 08 civic ex in the dallas area?

i was offered an "eprice" of 18005

is that reasonable?

what is an eprice?
  • Options
    abhaytabhayt Member Posts: 13
    This is a very good price. Even I have been trying to buy a 2008 Civic LX AT 4dr. The best price that I received OTD was $18250/-. Unfortunately, the dealer did not have the color I wanted.

Is it possible for you to share the name of the dealer ? It would help me.
  • Options
    beetee1beetee1 Member Posts: 2
    i agree. can you share the name of the dealer here in central new jersey. it would help me a lot. many thanks.
  • Options
    Can you break down the $18,100 OTD price? How much was the base, doc fee, tax, etc.? That way it is easier to compare with other prices/offers for the same car.
  • Options
    OK, the break down is

Base including destnation = 16617
    Doc Fee - 185
    (this is where most dealers make money - someNJ dealers charge upto $350)
    NJ Tire fee $7.50
    NJ Tax 1175
    Total OTD Price $17984
    Optional 2 Accesories $160
    Title is extra, and if you are transferring plates from another car its just $42.50.
    This is the lowest I could get from any NJ dealer. Dealer is in Denville - NJ, Route 10.
  • Options
    abhaytabhayt Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the info.

I don't have a breakup of the price. I asked him to quote the OTD. I am supposed to pay him the net figure including a brand new title which I understand is around $254/-. So our price is quite similar.
  • Options
    $16,617 for base, including destination, is a very good price IMO. I received quotes from 14 dealers in Calif. The lowest was $16,349, but that was a 2-car discount. The next lowest was $16,795 with a $55 doc fee. So your price (base, destination, and doc fee) is actually lower than my lowest quote for a single Civic.

I think that's a good deal. :)

Good luck with your purchase! My mom and sister are both very happy with their new Civics.
  • Options
    eltipo1eltipo1 Member Posts: 4
    esc38372,

Thanks for your detailed information. Really appreciate the breakdown...makes it much easier to determine the real negotiated price. Looks like you got a great deal! Congrats!!

I am also in the the SF Bay Area and am in the market for either an '08 Civic Coupe EX-MT (no leather/no NAVI) or an '08 CRV EX-AT (no leather/no NAVI). I'll only be buying one or the other so I doubt I'll find such a deal as you did, but even if I'm at invoice or slightly below, I'll be happy.

Anyone else reading in the Bay Area bought an '08 Civic Coupe EX-MT yet?

Thanks.
  • Options
    beetee1beetee1 Member Posts: 2
    otd $17984 is an excellent price, lowest i have seen so far.
    any hidden or unexpected fees afterwards?
    appreciate your info. many thanks.
  • Options
    eltipo1eltipo1 Member Posts: 4
    rich@garland,

I'm in the market for an '08 EX also (in CA), but in order for others to provide any meaningful response, you might want to break down the $18,005 and also give more detail about the car. If the dealer didn't provide you with a breakdown, you need to insist on it.

Price: Base price + destination is the most meaningful number as this is what anyone in the US needs to pay regardless of all the other fees and taxes. This price plus any fees, options and taxes are what add up the what people usually call "out the door (OTD)."

Car: Need more details. Is this a 2DR-coupe or 4DR-sedan? Automatic transmission or manual? Leather seats or cloth? Navigation system or not? Take a look at KBB.com and edmunds.com to find the MSRP and invoice prices of these different configurations. Then you can compare that with what you have received.

Regarding "eprice," I think that's nothing more than the dealer's fancy (silly) name for the quote he has provided via e-mail.

Hope that helps! :)
  • Options
    fliu02fliu02 Member Posts: 2
    hi, esc38372:
    Did you buy your car at bay area? If so, can you tell me the dealer information? Thanks!
  • Options
    Yes, I'm in the SF Bay Area. I bought my Civic LX-AT sedan at Autowest Honda in Fremont. Winter Honda in Pittsburg gave me the original quote for $16,349 (2-car discount) including destination charge, but I got Autowest to match Winter Honda's quote since Pittsburg is out of the way for us.

Definitely go through the Internet department only. I requested quotes through the Internet and was reminded to go directly to the Internet salesperson when I arrived at the dealership since if I talked to another salesperson, that person would want a commission and then the Internet guy couldn't guarantee his quote.

If you look at the previous posts, I have a more detailed post describing my entire process (post #6174 on 10/13).
  • Options
    santhoshihrsanthoshihr Member Posts: 2
    hi

I am lookin to buy a 2008 honda civic LX 4 DR in PA. I have been reading all the posts regularly and have found them very helpful. Can u pls tell me what intrest rates are on offer and what's are the latest prices u people have paid on ur cars

Thanks

Santa
  • Options
    hharris1hharris1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at leasing either an 07 or 08 Civic EX sedan MT, 36k miles for 36 months. I believe there are special lease rates for certain states (I am in RI). I would like to keep my payments around, if not under, $250/month with as little down as possible. I should qualify for the best credit tier. Any advice? I need to get this done asap. Thanks.
  • Options
    No fees apart from this. I actually brought the car home at the price $17984.
    As in my previous post I have specified that Title/Reg is extra which is less if you Transfer from another car (previous car should be in your name), else you have to pay 4yrs registration fee in NJ.

Tip: Some dealers charge about $200 for VIN Etching. DONT BUY from them. You can get it done yourself for $20 and get a discount on car insurance. Go to VINetcher.com or some other websites which you can google. Its a pretty simple do-it-yourself thing, and saves you money on insurance.

Another person in this forum has asked about Car loan. Well Honda Finance is offerring 2.9% apr in some states(Not in NJ) check their website. From other sources - ELoan gave me good rates. Dealer will offer you a rate, after which you can actually shop around in the market. Then compare which company gets you the lowest rate.

Tip: If you want to finance your car, then give some time between agreeing on a price with dealer and then picking the car, this will give you time to shop for car insurance and negotiate on the APR rate with what dealer offers you.
  • Options
    trudgetrudge Member Posts: 3
    I've been offered a 2008 Honda Civic LX AT 4Dr in Central Virginia for $16,995 base and $17,889.79 out-the-door. That seems like a fair price...especially if I drive it for 10+ years. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    santhoshihrsanthoshihr Member Posts: 2
    pls tell me from where you got the 4.9 % interest, I mean which state.
  • Options
    celadonceladon Member Posts: 1
    I've gotten a quote of 16350. I found an invoice price of 15615. Where should I start with negotiations?
  • Options
    fliu02fliu02 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, celadon
    Can you give me the dealer information in IL? Thanks!
  • Options
    lore1lore1 Member Posts: 7
    Where is everyone finding the invoice pricing for this Car? I was quoted $17200 (includes dest charges), PLUS TTL and $400 Doc fee;s plus state taxes. I was guessing an invoice price of about $16600. If The invoice price is that much lower, I think the offer I have may be too high, based on what I am seing other get.

Thats Auto Transmission.......

Thanks,
    Stan
  • Options
    Hi trudge,

Can you ask for the price breakup from the dealer?
    When asking for a quote be very specific that does this price is for

1. The very specific model you are looking for.
    Example: 2008 Civic LX AT 4Dr. If you miss to mention 4dr, or automatic or Trim(LX, EX, DX)). The dealer may quote you for manual or coupe.

2. Ask for the following does the price include following
    (a) Dest
    (b) Doc Fees (ask, how much is it)
    (c) Tax
    (d) Title + Reg
    (e) any other fee (VIN etching) or state fee (tire fee etc).

If the price you are quoting includes all of above, I would say its a very good price to buy. Good Luck