Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    Was $16,504- invoice price. There wasn't a dealer in the Northern VA/MD/DC area that was willing to go under invoice on an EX Auto Civic sedan with side airbags. I used CarBagains.com to get the best deal plus the usual free online sites but those actually didn't accumulate many offers- or good ones at that.

Yes, it is strange that it comes with a moonroof but no floor mats. I went with the floor mats (love the all in one back mat!!), mud guards and the alarm. Only the alarm I wouldn't do again... *sigh*

Enjoy your new car! What color did you get?

~Carrie
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    abby:

$16,716.28 is the invoice price according to Kelley blue book & Edmund website, both of them put down $460 as destination charge actual destination charge is $440 on window sticker.

I was looking for a LX 4 dr auto with side air bag. I used Edmund's free quote service, 3 dealers replied. One of them quoted me just below the Edmunds TMV. I emailed him back and mentioned some other dealers' ad price was lower, even their own ad price was lower. He emailed me back that he will honor any email or ad price as long as its not expired. Then I saw another dealer's ad on LA Timees $14,988 for EX auto without side airbag, which is $1700 below invoice. To keep a long story short, we showed up at the dealership and showed internet sales ad on the paper he gave us the car $14,988. Total took me 24 hours, I sent quote out on Friday and picked up the car on Saturday.
    BTW I shopped toward the end of the month. One thing I learned is always car shopping toward the end of the month better price. Following week I saw same car other dealer's ad for $600 more. Guess LA has lots of dealers so you can shop for a better deal.

Carrie (aka alyssazmom):

My daughter picked silver with gray interior. She was thinking blue but her friend has blue one already. I like green but kids won.
    Our EX came with mud guards, one of the must have accessories for car. Since EX comes with keyless entry and immobilizer already we skipped the alarm.

Did you get trunk tray? I went to ebay, didn't win the bid, then I found one online site which is cheaper than ebay, I ordered one today.

What did you get carpet mats or all weather mats? Did you get discount on those mats? I like those all weather mats. I used all weather mats on my 01 Odyssey I love them. Thinking to order them thru online.

What do you think about the cheap plastic steering wheel cover? I am thinking to get one wheel skin leather steering wheel cover with two tone Gray on top and bottom and Black on sides.

bjk
  • Options
    abby70abby70 Member Posts: 12
    When I look up the invoice price here it is $16,260 not $16,716. It is an INCREDIBLE deal that I am sure I could never duplicate here! Congratulations!

I used to live in CA. in the L.A. area (four years ago) and it is more of a buyers market.
  • Options
    My EX is in Blue but I think the Civic looks great in silver, green and white as well. I don't care for it in black or the red that comes on the sedan.

I did get carpet mats, I purchased them at the dealer so I'm sure it was marked up considerably :) I didn't know at the time that you could purchase Honda accessories online for less.

I do want the trunk tray, my dbf has one for his 2002 Accord and loves it. The steering wheel cover doesn't bother me. I know Honda could have made it a lot worse! For winter I probably will get the all weather floor mats. Sand, salt, slush and mud have ruined past floor mats on my previous car.

How do you like your Ody?

Carrie
  • Options
    abby :

$16,716.28 included destination charge. For a Civic or Accord, it is a buyers market in LA, but for my 01 Ody was not I had to pay MSRP for it. :( , Too bad you move, or else you could get a good deal in LA.

carrie:

You could get any accessory online. If you want a trunk tray, check this one out. This is the cheapest place for trunk tray $66.78 including shipping msrp is $99 http://www.fairhondapartsforyou.com/index.html there are a few other website too. Like h and a accessories http://www.handa-accessories.com/ but since its in CA I have to pay Sales TAX and shipping it adds up the total price.

I love my 01 ODY, but 02 is even better, more horsepower and leather stuffs...

ben
  • Options
    I just want to make sure I understand...I'm going to try and buy the car this coming Saturday.

When I look it up for a Civic EX coupe automatic on Edmunds it says 15820 invoice + 460 Destination = 16280.

bjk - is it an additional 460?

I want the right numbers to walk in with!
  • Options
    Is it a good idea to get the splash guards? Where is the best place? If you get them at the dealer how much should you pay?
  • Options
    abby:

You are right invoice price for civic coupe EX auto is $15,820+ $440=$16,260 destination charge is $440.- not $460.- well at least that's on my window sticker.

Our EX 4 dr came with splash guard. I am not sure whether EX coupe comes with splash guard or not. I think EX sedan and coupe equipped different, for example coupe comes with CD and 6 speakers, Sedan comes with CD and 4 speakers.

Spalsh guard list price is $89.00. Installation is pretty easy. I installed them on my 01 Odyssey, it took my 1/2 hour. I am not a handy person, if I can do it in 1/2 hour anyone else could. I like splash guard, they will keep the lower portion of the door and rear panel clearer. Especially in LA summer time lots of road tar will splash onto the car.

If you go to H and A they are selling $58.80 plus shipping (depends on the distance I think) you could check it out, The other fair honda parts selling for $57.02 + $3.95 shipping charge. I know dealer typical sell accessory at List price.

ben
  • Options
    How do you get them on the car? Glue or what?

Thanks!!!!!!!
  • Options
    LOL! Well, yes you could try super glue or elmer glue if you want. As a matter of fact you use some Stubby phillips screw driver to install, each one is holding with 3 screws and hardware.

Here is the instuction from H and A accessories web site.

http://www.handaaccessories.com/civic/CIVIC01SPLASHGUARDS.pdf

reagrds,

ben

• Options
    I didn't know if the holes were already drilled in the metal or not. You can see I don't know much about this stuff!

Is the windguard for the moonroof that easy to install as well?
  • Options
    kate7171kate7171 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

I am in my last month leasing Honda Civic 99 and enjoyed this car so much, that I getting a new one. I live in NY, what is the best place to go and what is the best leasing price out there?
    I am looking for EX coupe automatic.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Dear Abby:

Here is the instruction how to install moonroof visor

http://www.handaaccessories.com/civic/CIVIC01MRVISOR.pdf

It doesn't look like a difficult job to install it, no drilling no cutting at all. I never installed one myself. Let me know after you install it.

Ben

• Options
    Kate:

I will start with www.carsdirect.com, they are selling Civic below the invoice at least to give you a starting price then of course your local dealer's weekend ads.

Ben
  • Options
    kdurbhakdurbha Member Posts: 2
    Hey Folks!

Planning to buy a '02 Civic LX sometime next week. Could anyone in the Bellevue or Seattle area give me an idea about how much they have paid for this car and which dealer I can go to?

thanks
    Krishna
  • Options
    I finally got my car this weekend. It is a 2002 Civic EX coupe Automatic in satin silver metallic. It was 15,980 - ($300 under invoice). I know other that have posted here have done better but for the Chicago area I think this was good. I was happy with it. :) I also got the 2.9% financing. I forgot about asking for the floor mats to be thrown in....I was nervous!

I got it at the second dealer I went to. It was really painless and they were really nice! They matched a ad from another dealer. I got it in South suburb.

I am really enjoying it. Thanks to all of the people that post here that helped!!! Thanks especially to Raybear and bjk!

What made me most happy was that I got $650 for my old car which was in really bad shape.

I'm just going to try and enjoy it and not worry about how I did. It is a nice car!
  • Options
    Congrats, you got the same color like ours. Did you get splash guard with your Ex coupe? Too bad you are in Chicago area, if you were in LA I could refer you to my local internet sales and he will give me $100 gift certificate to purchase accessories. LOL.

BTW you are very welcome. Raybear is a very nice guy, got some tips from him when I was shopping for my Ody last year.

eojoy your new Civic.

ben
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Hi Krishna. You may do a little more than invoice on the Civic in your area, maybe invoice if you travel outside King/Pierce County.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the new Civic! How do you like the Satin Silver? Every one in a while I wish I had gotten the silver but oh...I do love my Eternal Blue EX Civic Sedan ;)

Enjoy the new Civic!

Carrie
  • Options
    buffy_nuibuffy_nui Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

I am new to this group. I am looking to by a civic(preferably EX+moonroof) in the Bay Area. Please post your experiences(dealer, price you paid).

Thanks
  • Options
    gman40gman40 Member Posts: 15
    any accessories you buy online just glue them to your new car. especially effective for the splash
    guards and fog lights and sunroof deflectors and
    also if you want one of those vases on your dash
    a la VW bug.
  • Options
    You can get one in the Bay Area for a little under invoice.
  • Options
    hounddog69hounddog69 Member Posts: 34
    I got mine for $300 under invoice at Larry Hopkins Honda. Silver Ex Coupe 5-speed. E-mail via Edmunds to the Internet manager. This weekend (memorial day) and next might (end of month) be a great time to haggle.
  • Options
    soldbearsoldbear Member Posts: 3
    Hi buffy_nui,

I bought an EX sedan w/ AT, side airbags and floormats for $16,700 from Livermore Honda. Talk to Greg Boynton, tell him that "Dinh" sent you. He'll take extra good care of you.
  • Options
    brenger1brenger1 Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone out there suggest a "great dealer" in the Frederick,MD / Wash,DC area that has lots of Civic "02 EX" to choose. I like the Edmunds "TMV" Or should I go the Edmunds route and drop a few e-mails to dealers.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brenger
  • Options
    I paid invoice for my 2002 EX Sedan at Ourisman Honda in Bethesda MD. They had a pretty big selection to choose from. Ask for Lezette Young, she was fantastic! Tell her Carrie and Taj send you :)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks "soldbear", "hounddog69", and "raybear".

soldbear,
    Does 16,700 include destination?. Did u get any extras/free stuff (like oil change etc).

All,
    How about financing options?.

Thanks
  • Options
    soldbearsoldbear Member Posts: 3
    Yes, it did include destination. Besides $16,700, I paid tax + license. I put 50% down and got 2.9%/36 months finance from Honda.

Note that Civic from the manufacturer doesn't come with floor mats. They are extra. I guess in my case, they are qualified as a "free stuff."

I didn't ask for any free maint. service. I normally do them myself. Also, Livermore Honda is 20 miles from where I live. Autowest Honda is about 1 mile from my office. I didn't buy from Autowest because a sales guy there jerked my wife around when we were shopping for an Odyssey. She hated that place.

Also, don't buy the extended warranty from the dealer. You can get it for much less, almost at cost. You have 12 months/12K miles to buy Honda Care warranty without any penalty. I bought extended warranty for my Odyssey because it has so many electrinic gadgets (sliding doors, navi, ...) but not for my Civic. Contact Donna (ardeagirl@yahoo.com, 1-877-476-4265 X 8011) if you want to buy Honda Care warranty. She has the best price.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks again "soldbear"
  • Options
    I finally found something to brag about live in So California. Honda Civic price is dirty cheap. Well not just Civic, Accord too.

For you guys in Bay area why don't you guys come down in LA to buy a brand new Civic and drive back to Bay area. Money you save is worth the trip. We only paid less than $16,450 out the door for Civic Ex Auto 4 Dr. (no side air bag no floor mats).
  • Options
    I paid $16,504 for an EX Civic Sedan with Auto and Side Airbags. I also bought floor mats and mud guards which of course were extra....

Hope that helps,

Carrie
  • Options
    Carrie,

Was that all fees "out the door"

Thanks,
    Frank
  • Options
    plazajenplazajen Member Posts: 1
    I live in Kansas City & I just purchased the Civic EX, automatic, no side air bags, in Eternal Blue Pearl. I paid $16,657 before dealer paperwork fees, including floormats. (I was like a terrier about those floormats getting thrown in!) And - how often can you say this - I am completely pleased with the entire purchase process. I shopped another dealer to get a competitve price, but the fact they left a speaker on after leaving the room (to listen to our conversation) pretty well killed any inclination I might have had to buying from them. My salesman is one of the top Honda salespeople in the country, and I certainly can see why. :) Courteous, didn't push, worked with me on the price as well as getting me the top amount possible for my trade-in. Having used all the Consumer Reports resources, I feel like I got a great deal, they made a fair profit, and nobody got mad. The other dealerships I visited (even beyond Honda) were NOT going to leave me with that feeling. (There's nothing like hearing "You're taking food from my children's mouths" within five minutes of negotiations. My response was, "You're taking a huge amount of money out of my POCKET, and I don't want to hear lines like that again." Pretty well killed any inclination towards the Mazda I was looking at!) I am so glad I kept looking that day & drove the Honda! I just love it.
  • Options
    No, it did not include taxes and tags.
  • Options
    kdurbhakdurbha Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I am a first time car buyer and feeling really nervous about the buying process.

Dealers in the Seattle area are quoting around 17K for the '02 Civic Ex while the Invoice price is 16736 and TMV is 16984. I would like to know what my opening gambit should be when i start negotiations. What do u think would be a good price to pay for this car? Any tips and suggestions?

thanks
    Krishna
  • Options
    Krishna:

If you scroll up to msg# 69. by raybear. He knows what he is talking about. Sorry you people have to pay around invoice up in Seattle. You could try to use internet quote or online car buying service. Like priceline.com or carsdirect.com. I never used them so not my endorcement.

Good luck,

bjk
  • Options
    calleysmomcalleysmom Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,
    I live in California and just
    purchased a blue EX coupe with an automatic transmission for 16,000.
    (plus tax and license)I didn't get
    floor mats but the dealer did give me another set of wheels to mount my
    snow tires on. How did I do? I Did my shopping over the internet.
    thanks,
    Janice
  • Options
    calleysmom:

Where do you live in California? Sounds like you live up North. Did you get extra set of alloy wheels or steel wheels? You are doing good. Any free stuffs from dealer is good to me. :-) If you need to get snow tires in winter, I won't get carpet floor mats, I will get all weather (aka rubber) floor mats

Regards,

bjk
  • Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for everyone's input and help.
    I paid $16,150 at "Criswell Honda" in Germantown, MD for a "02" EX sedan with a 5 speed in Titanium, and it came with the floor mates and mud guards. I'm smiling!

Thanks,
    FM
  • Options
  • Options
    calleysmomcalleysmom Member Posts: 2
    Hi and thanks for the input. I live on the east side of the Sierras in the middle of the state. I just got the steel wheels. I learned a long time ago thats it's alot easier to just get new hubcaps after the road salt and the dog pee !! I was pleasantly surprised when the car was delivered, that it had mud and snow tires on it and not just the all season. The CHP here really checks tires for the M&S letters. Since I purchased over the inter net I never saw the car till the day it was delivered. I dealt with a real nice salesman, Larry, at Lancaster Honda.and so far the car is everything I wanted. I read all the posts here before I purchased, so wanted to say "thanks" to everyone.Janice
  • Options
    Janice:

You are very welcome. You have to use M&S tires up there eh? I guess I have to say lucky us in LA. We don't use any M&S tires here, but I do have a set of snow chains. We only used once a few years ago on our trip to Bigbear around Christmas time.

I did my shopping on Internet too. Well I lied, I also used LA Times Auto Classified section. We didn't see the car either. I test drove the car just prior to pick up the car and picked the color when internet manager went to get to key for our test drive. LOL

Enjoy your new Civic EX Coupe. BTW, did you get side airbag?

Benn
  • Options
    smalltaismalltai Member Posts: 1
    Hi.

Is $16,450 include tax and tag? if not, then how much is the total cost? I'm looking for the Civic Ex Auto 4 Dr, and I live in LA.

Thanks,
  • Options
    Yes, it's out of the door price. We paid $14,988 + tax + $45 doc + tag = $16,426.22 out of the door. Our EX doesn't come with side airbag. BTW, I didn't negotiate to get free floor mats. I was thinking $14,988 price is low enough, dealer has to make money somewhere.

You could first try Chris Latta @Colonial Honda in Glendale and tell him Benn bought a silve Ex from him in April and refer you to see if he will give you the same price.

Here is his email internet@colonialhonda.dealerspace.com I hope I won't get into trouble to put his email on here.

If he will not give you the price, then you could get a copy of the weekend (Saturday) Los Angeles Times which only costs 50 cents. Go to Auto Classified section and look for Ad from Honda dealer. I have found (used) Riverside Honda's ad (EX 4 dr auto) $14,988 then show it to him, he will match the lowest price on newspaper.

Some other dealers also said they will match the lowest ad price you can find. But since I didn't buy from them I can't recommend them. Also Riverside Honda has lowest ad price on the newspaper, but since I didn't buy from them either and I don't know whether them add any other options or dealers prep fee or not. You could give them a call too.

Good luck,

Benn
  • Options
    igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    Hi - writing from Boston - wondering if anybody could recommend a good dealer. I want to buy a 2002 Civic LX Automatic this coming autumn.
  • Options
    Just don't wait too long, the cars are already selling cheap and you may run into inventory problems so late in the model year.
  • Options
    lily888lily888 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, It is my first time to buy a car. So a little scared.
    I am I'm looking for a 2002 Civic Dx Auto 4 Dr. and I live in Detroit. Will this car be fit for the snow weather in Detroit? Could anybody recommend me a good price and dealer in Detroit area?
    BTW, some people told me that it is a better deal to buying a one or two years used car than buying a new car? Could anyone also tell me your opinion on it?
  • Options
    Remember the DX does not include air conditioning. You may want to look at a used LX as an alternative.

Hondas drop very little in value, so it's up to you if you want new or used. With new you get the full warranty, that's a major consideration.

You should be able to buy a new Civic DX or LX very close to invoice, and the dealer add-on fees aren't much in Detroit, so you can get a pretty good deal quite easily.
  • Options
    Oh, Thanks for your onions. Could anyone suggest me which one is better, Honda Civic Hx or Toyoda Corolla CE. I lived in Detroit Area.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone’s opinions. Now another question: The ABS system is optional of Honda Civic. So could anyone tell me if it worth to add ABS? Thanks.