Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• del_parkerdel_parker Member Posts: 1
    You better check out hondaprelude.com
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Well, I'm glad I got you over here instead of on the RSX board:) So I did what you instructed me to do regarding the installation of the BRA. It worked and the BRA fit perfectly. One final question though: Is the Rubber Sleeve (with the snap screw & washer) supposed to come out when you take the BRA off?

WOW! I didn't realize how many miles you put on a car! I guess that's a testament to Honda quality, durability, & reliability.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

THANK YOU!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    If you're taking off the bra and removing the snap screw, then yes, the rubber fenderwell nut must be removed from behind the fender liner in order to re-install the black plastic expansion clip that was originally in the hole.

If you're just taking the bra off the clean it or the car, then no, the snap screw (and affiliated parts) can remain installed.

You're very welcome!
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    Himler, thanks to you,I got the Honda dealer to do the upper and lower units for $100.00. I printed out your post and took it to Honda dealership.
    Xpel sent me an e_mail saying they doubted it could be done for that.I guess in Texas they charge big.
    I get lower prices on service and parts at the Honda dealer than the Acura dealer where I bought my Type S.
    Acura dealer 108 miles away(none in Maine)I was told to call them for oil filters.Honda says the engine is the same as CRV. So Honda's got my business.All warranty work I'll drive to NH.
    Cool beans! I've got 43,000 interstate miles on my Stongaurd and it still looks brand new.

Congrats on finding a helpful Honda dealer locally. Here in Syracuse, the Acura shop charges $70/hr and the Honda shop $48/hr. The service manager at my Honda dealer tells me that they service Integras and TLs all the time.
    BTW...I have to let you know that the DINOSAUR BBQ is one of my favorite restaurants:) MMMMMM!

Yeah, it's one of those rare places where you see bankers in suits rubbing elbows at the bar with bikers wearing black riding leathers.

Ever been to Cosimo's On Union in Newburgh? Easily one of the best bistros in the state.

Did you ever get your car's bra problem resolved?
    have a wedding in Syracuse (girlfriend's friend) in the middle of November. I'm not sure if my Prelude is going to make the trip. That all depends on how many miles I have on my Saab by then. The lease is up on my Saab in December (4) and I've only got a few thoudand more miles to go before I hit the 36,000 alloted to me for my 3 year lease. When I come up, you'll know by the weather. If it is snowing (early winter) that means that I ran out of miles on my Saab and am driving the Prelude. If the weather is gorgeous, then I'll have the Saab (Squeezing those last few miles out of it) and the Prelude will be resting comfortably at home.

I assume you'll be driving up on Rt 17. They've finally finished (!) construction, but I-81 is still kind of a mess until well north of Binghamton.
    that ALL OF THE CONSTRUCTION ON RTE 17 IS FINISHED? I remember when they started all that noise. I hate Rte 17 BTW. I drove on it back and forth from my house to Ithaca for the better part of 4 years. I graduated 4 years ago and I remember the construction started the year before (1993) I went to college (Fall 1994). That was the absolute worst. They switched you from 2 lanes back to one lane into the oncoming lane. And I'd always, always, always get stuck behind some truck or slow moving vehicle. And it is crawling woth COPS! The NYS troopers patrol it tightly.

They're still pretty aggressive, but won't look twice unless you're doing 68 MPH or higher. Trust me, I make a run down to Monroe every 3 weeks and have yet to get popped.

Yup, 17 is good to go! Smooth as glass in most places, all the way to I-81.
    So It was so gorgeous out on Friday night that I just HAD to take my Prelude out. Logic tells me to take my Saab which I'm paying for until December and still have about 5000 miles to go until my magical lease end 36,000, but I would have regreted not driving the Prelude on such a beautiful night. I drove from Rockland County (where my car is) to my friend's place in Stamford, CT. While driving across I-287 in Westchester, a (nordic mist?) 5th generation base model merges onto the highway. I waved out of my sunroof. He pulled up right beside me (checked out my Milano Red Type SH) and gave me the thumbs up as he took off! I love my Prelude! Steering is dead centered on the highway. I was able to take familiar off ramps with considerably more speed then with my Saab 9-3. I really wasn't pusing it too hard though. My friend and I just went for a leaisurely cruise through some of the great back roads in Fairfield County, CT.

• sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    A friend of mine recently learned the hard way that the Type SH is easily capable of uncontrolled throttle oversteer even on stock tires. He is lucky to be alive after I saw what his Type SH looked like. Your car will take curves at speeds well in excess of many "sports cars" on the road, but when the rear swings out, you may not be able to recover. Be careful.
    Like I said, I was nowhere near even close to pushing the car. But thanks for the warning. I don't care if your car has ATTS, LSD, AWD, Traction Control, & Stability Control... I know you can't overcome the laws of Physics!

When we talked yesterday, he was still pretty shook up. He had been taking the same curve on the way home from work day after day, each time a little bit faster. It was rated 20mph or 25mph posted, and he'd started in the 40s and moved on up. Taking it around 65mph on stock tires, the rear simply swing out, and that was it. The car is totaled.... people who say FWD can't oversteer don't know what a Prelude SH can do.
    walk away from the crash or was he seriously hurt?

He walked away with the crash with a couple of splinters of glass in his palms when he was crawling out from underneath the car, but otherwise he was fine. For a car that spun several times before rolling about four times, it protected him remarkably well. By and large, the roof didn't collapse much...
    He must have been going extremely fast to roll it 4X! Yikes! Did he say how fast he was going?

Somewhere in the mid-60s. I've been on that road, the curve is pretty tight. I think the posted limit is 25mph and that's kind of aggressive. Basically a fairly narrow 130-140 degree curve that's banked so that you can take it pretty quickly. He said he could feel the rear swing out exiting the apex and he tried to cut the throttle. That was all it took to send the car into a spin. He was holding onto the steering column so tightly, it looks like he slightly bent it!
    satin_sh on hondaprelude.com? He said he got rear ended and was pushed into the spin. From his post over there he does seem lucky to live to tell about it!

No, this is a guy I know from college out in Maryland. But I know satinsh a bit too, and he's also in a foul mood.... he finds out if his car is totaled tomorrow I think...
    I guess he shouldn't have lifted...

Good to hear he wasn't seriously hurt.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    I think he was going just a little too fast...
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    It's been awhile since I checked into this board...I bought a leftover 2001 Prelude Sportshift in March of this year. Since that time I've put 5,770 miles on it, and I must say that, at this point, I truly regret buying it.

First there is the rattle from the left front suspension area that the dealer can't find (of course), which sounds like a 1977 Chevrolet Impala with 100,000 miles on the odometer. If I wanted that effect, I could have picked up the old Chevy for thousands less.

At 2,000 miles the front rotors were so warped that the steering wheel was vibrating in my hand when I stopped while coming down a hill. And no, I'm not an aggresive driver, nor do I live in a mountainous area. The dealer, of course, would just resurface them, which means that they would start to warp within another 2,000 miles. I thought I'd be smart and have the Honda dealer installed Honda-approved cross-drilled rotors on the front. The vibration is still there...the service manager says the "old pads have to conform to the new rotors. This should take about 7,000 miles." Well, it has been 3,000 miles since I had the new rotors installed, there has been NO improvement in the vibrations or pulsations, and I'm getting tired of waiting for the "pads to conform to the rotors." Again, if I wanted crappy brakes, I could have bought that 1977 Chevy...

The rotors on my 1996 and 1999 Civics were prone to warpage, but I figured that since the Prelude is (supposedly) a performance car (not to mention a more expensive one), Honda would install tougher rotors on it. Even the Civics went more than 2,000 miles before the rotors had to be resurfaced!

Last week I tried to use the accessory plug in the dashboard - and promptly blew a fuse. Not only did the accessory plug not work, but neither did the dome lights. And to further add to the effect, when I tried to turn the dome lights on, the radio would cut out.

Turns out the factory installed a fuse that was too small. I guess we, as Americans, can take comfort in knowing that Japanese-made Hondas are not superior to American-made ones. Japanese workers can be just as sloppy as their American counterparts.

This week I used the accessory plug again - and it worked. However, when I later started the car, the "check engine" light came on. Whether they are connected, I do not know. Yes, I always make sure I turn the gas cap until it clicks at least three times, and I always fill it up with premium gasoline. So now I have to get up early on Monday morning, drive to the dealer, and see if the car can be serviced that day. I'm already thinking about unloading this dog...
    Sounds like you got a lemon, and a very rare one at that.

Prelude-SH uses what kind of fuel, sphinx/anyone else?

My Mie-made Integra is one fine car, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting an Ohio-made model. (I definitely think Mie is a better place to sightsee than Ohio, too.)
  • stuartboniastuartbonia Member Posts: 56
    uses premium fuel.

GRBECK - Sorry about the problems you are having. I've had my SH for 4 years and the only problem was the timing belt tensioner. Don't give up on it yet. Get through this stuff and enjoy your ride
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    Ditto. Just the timing belt tensioner on my 98 sh.
    stuartbonia: Thanks for the encouragement, but at this point I'm thinking about "getting through this stuff" so that I can unload this dog. Who knows WHAT ELSE is down the road with this car, and I'm not too keen on finding out. One good thing about a Honda is that depreciation isn't too bad, but I'll still take a loss.

As for the car itself, aside from the problems - it's okay, but now that the initial thrill of owning a new car (and a sporty one, at that) has worn off, I can see why it didn't make much of a mark in the market. And it definitely does not have the charisma that would make it worthwhile to put up with this kind of nonsense.

verozahl: Yeah, aren't I the lucky one?
    Never said you were lucky, grbeck. Go for the Oldsmobile of your dreams!!!
    That's very odd. I suppose the blown fuse is possible but the fact that the rotors warped this quickly is very strange. Do you brake aggressively? I put about 60k miles between two fifth gen Preludes and while I ate through the pads and tires quick enough, the rotors stayed good. I'm also concerned that you went with cross-drilled rotors as a replacement, by all accounts there is no benefit unless you are running heavy laps at a track, but now you risk rotor fractures and significantly increased pad wear. Have you noticed a difference with the new rotors, in terms of stopping ability?

It sounds as though the car had some serious wear right off the lot, or you picked up a rare find - a Prelude lemon. Like others I'd stick with it for a while - these problems are *not* typical for the Prelude, and eventually you notice that its charm is in its improved handling and precision over more charismatic vehicles. But, if you feel the experience is already tainted, then by all means dump the car and look for an appropriate replacement. (With, hopefully, a good 5-speed or 6-speed!)
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    They got to be the hardest cars to find. Well, that's how I ended up with my Type S.I found the last 01 SH in N.E. but,I swear it was Barney purple.
    My Integs had more torque in 1st and second and wasn't as knotchy.(synthetic MTF next)
    Honda doesn't get it. The Prelude should of never been replaced by the RSX.)IF that was their intention.)
    verozahl: From what I've read, the only Oldsmobiles I can afford - the Alero and Intrigue - are even worse! And I grew up in a family that faithfully bought Oldsmobile 88s up until 1999, when my parents switched over to a Park Avenue.

sphinx99: I try not be aggressive with the brakes. The service manager told me that these rotors would better resist warping. I figured that instead of fighting with the dealer over replacement rotors (or merely having them resurface the rotors), I would just go with the cross drilled rotors. Around town, in very low-speed situations (25 mph and below), the new rotors do give a better feel through the pedal. Otherwise, at higher speeds, the vibrations are still there, because the "pads haven't conformed to the new rotors yet," according to the service manager.

I guess my disappointment stems from my previous very good experiences with my Civics (aside from the rotors). I wanted an affordable sports coupe, and there aren't many left on the market. The Acura RSX was a little too tightly strung for my tastes...very noisy, with a ride that bordered on harsh. It seemed like a car built for the 20-year-old tuner set.

The Toyota Celica is, to my eyes, rather unattractive, while the Mercury Cougar has many niggling problems. Also, I didn't relish the prospect of getting a Cougar serviced at dealerships more used to dealing with grandpa's Town Car. Judging by their placement on the lots, most Lincoln-Mercury dealers already regard the Cougar as an orphan. Granted, the Prelude is already gone, but it did fit well into the Honda lineup and Honda dealers should keep Prelude owners happy on the chance they will trade for an Accord coupe. There really isn't anything else in the Lincoln-Mercury lineup for current Cougar owners, so I don't think dealers have a real incentive to keep them happy. They'd rather focus on selling grandpa one more Town Car.

The Dodge Stratus R/T and Chrysler Sebring LXi are available with a five-speed and a V-6, plus they are the best looking coupes this side of a Mercedes E-Class. Unfortunately, judging by the posts on Edmunds.com, they still have quality control problems, and I've heard very few positive experiences from people when they deal with their "five star" Mopar dealer.

Moving up, the Pontiac Firebird is so over-the-top it's almost a joke, while the Chevrolet Camaro gave me the impression I was driving a bathtub. The dashboard alone seemed to stretch for a few feet. Plus, neither is a paragon of quality.

The only real competitor, in my view, was the Ford Mustang GT coupe. I felt comfortable in it, and I loved the sound and performance of the V-8 and five-speed. Unfortunately, I would be paying a good $500 more a year in insurance over the Prelude and the interior materials were nothing to write home about. (Forget the V-6.) And, of course, we all know that Fords are more troublesome than Hondas. At least, that is what I DID think. I'm beginning to wonder...

So, I bought the Prelude and it's off to the dealer AGAIN tomorrow morning. Boy, I can hardly wait...
    grbeck, is the dealer as evil as your Ford dealer? I mean, if you got a Mustang lemon, then you would have to put-up with Ford service departments, and if you live in an area (like around here) where one is on every corner, it still wouldn't matter, they all act the same.

What's left on the market currently is the Celica, RSX, and Tiburon. Did you consider a 6-cyl Tiburon?
    Have you tried servicing your car at another dealer?

verozahl: Even in a small city like Harrisburg, there are no less than five "quality plus" Ford dealers reasonably close to my home. The biggest one in the city is within walking distance from the state Capitol (where I work). Plus, a friend of mine used to work in the local office of Ford Credit (before it was closed down by Ford as part of a restructuring effort), and she said that if I ever buy a Ford, she will give me the scoop on which dealers to avoid.

As for the Tiburon - thanks, but no thanks.

nyccarguy: This dealer has been good to me in the past, so I'm inclined to be forgiving. The fuse and "check engine" light are not the dealer's fault. As for the rattle...it's intermittent, so it is difficult to track. With the rotors - I probably made a mistake in jumping to the cross-drilled rotors. Once again, I don't blame the dealer for the initial rotor warpage. I blame Honda for using cheap rotors on what is supposed to be a performance car. Believe me, I've quizzed the service manager (who used to live five doors up the street from me) about the dealership's service procedures (tightening the lug nuts, etc.), and he seems to know what should and should not be done.
    Honda typically under-specs the brakes on its cars, but because your rotors warped so early, they were probably defective from the factory.

As for the other stuff, if the dealer is treating you and your Prelude well and addressing all of your concerns to your satisfaction, I say stick with the 'lude.

No car is perfect (including mine), but at least you've got a better shot at a having a car that lasts and perfoms over the long haul when you own a Honda.
    Good news - the "check engine" light is just an oxygen sensor. The dealer has to order the part; it should be in next week. The dealer also fixed the brakes (without machining the rotors); the vibration is gone. The car is MUCH nicer to drive. Now I feel as though I'm getting what I paid for when I bought the car.

himiler: Yes, I was reminded of that last night when a friend of mine described the total failure of the air conditioning in her Cavalier...at only 69,000 miles. She was quoted a repair bill of $1,600.
    What was wrong with the brakes?
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    Let me take a guess here:

Actually, it was not the brake or roter, instead it is the tire/wheel that is not aligned properly. There are 2 ways to fix this: 1. get it aligned/replaced. 2. Rotate the wheel from front to back.
    sphinx99: The service manager told me over the phone that he replaced the pads. The service order, however, says the rotors were turned! I hope that wasn't what needed to be done.

I worked late, so I didn't get the chance to talk to anyone when I picked up the car. After the 4th I left for vacation and didn't return until Sunday, so I'll ask him when I take the car in for the oxygen sensor replacement. Whatever he did, the brakes worked beautifully from Harrisburg to Ocean City, Maryland and back.
    good to see your car was in working order for your 4th of July trip. How was the car on the highway? Did you experience any fatigue while driving that distance?

Well, I drove my base from Baltimore to Maine back in '99 or so, no fatigue although the back seat was sure littered with half eaten bags of pretzels.
  • kkl1kkl1 Member Posts: 16
    I would appreciate advice and opinions on my '98 Prelude SS with 38,600 miles. Today I took my Prelude to evaluate a potential oil leak--I have had a small wet spot in my garage for the past 4 months--and the Honda shop found that the bolt to the transmission fluid opening was not completely sealed and that the ATF was 1.5 quarts low. For one week prior to this, my transmission would sometimes rev high briefly when I accelerated hard in 3rd or 4th gear. I did not hear any grinding or other worrisome noises. The Honda tech refilled the ATF, tightened the bolt, and assured me that the transmission was not harmed by this. The SS transmission seems to run well, shift normally, and no longer revs briefly (as if hunting gears) when I accelerate hard. The Honda shop also did not charge for this service, even though my Prelude is out of warranty. I should also add that the ATF was changed a few months ago by another shop and that I suspect that shop did not tighten the transmission gasket bolt well.

Is the technician correct, or should I anticipate that the SS transmission suffered some long-term damage?

Thanks much for your insights.

Kenneth
  • jsh139jsh139 Member Posts: 42
    Yikes! 1.5 quarts low? My car only takes 1.8 quarts of tranny fluid! Granted, it's a totally different car, but 1.5 quarts seems like a lot.

I would go back to the place that changed the tranny fluid and explain to them what happened. Maybe get them to sign something acknowledging the fact that they put the bolt back on wrong (yeh right, like that'll happen.) But, it's worth a shot.

-Josh
    Since you didn't describe any shaking, burning odors or odd grinding noises when accelerating hard, I'm inclined to think that your tranny is no worse for wear.

If the Honda tech had suspected any real trouble, I doubt that they would have wasted any time in trying to sell you a tranny service or partial rebuild, the charges for which the shop that left the drain plug loose would be responsible.

As long as you're not currently noticing anything odd perfomance-wise, there's no need to worry.
    nyccarguy: The seats were comfortable...no problem with back strain or fatigue because of the seat. The car is nice on the highway, with a smooth, peppy engine. The suspension and steering track well, which, surprisingly enough, also really reduce fatigue. No need to make constant corrections.
  • shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    I agree that the seat of Prelude is very comfortable. I remember in '99, I drove the Lude from Penn. all the way to Dallas (in 2 days) and I made 950 miles in a day, I drove 13 hrs and although the arm is pretty tired, but my back and butt are OK, no need to do any extensive stretch before I can run a 5K after that.
  • kciglovrkciglovr Member Posts: 1
    What is meant by a 4th or 5th generation Honda? My son has found a 90' Prelude LSi, 5 spd. that he wants to buy. It's his first car. Does anyone know anything in particular with this year?
  • pangapanga Member Posts: 23
    I am new to this list, and am amazed by the amount of useful information. It is very helpful ...

I recently bought a used Prelude (97 base, 68K mi., black, 5-spd, leather, no spoiler) for $12.1K, in Los Angeles. This is in the same range as Edmunds/Kelly's (+-$200), but I wanted to see what people thought about the deal, I am not really sure how accurate the blue book values are.

Over the last couple of weeks, I noticed that the moonroof seems to be rattle/shake when I open it, but this happens about1 out of 3-4 times. Has anyone else seen this, and is it something simple like a lube issue that I can fix? Also, the car rattles and makes some sounds when I go over speed bumps (only if I go somewhat fast, though), is this common?

Overall, I love the car so far. Always wanted a prelude, great to finally have one!!