Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    In San Antonio they are going for MSRP these days and the supply is dwindling add TX sales tax:6.25%, DMV Fees: $127.50, Doc Fees :$50.00, Texas Inventory Fee: .002543 Times car price. Not sure what DFW market is looking like but wouldn't be surprised if they too are selling at MSRP.
  • vicmeldrew1vicmeldrew1 Member Posts: 10
    i live in Omaha and all four local dealerships will only sell the Civic for MSRP so I guess from here on out either pay it or dont get it - so I am considering an Accord for near invoice to get more car for not a lot more money
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    so I am considering an Accord for near invoice to get more car for not a lot more money

It a $2 or even $3 a gallon gas world then that makes sense. In our current $4 and up gallon world I don't know. EPA ratings are 21/31 and 24 combined for the I4 Accord and 26/34 and 29 mpg combined for the Civic. At $4.04 per gallon, 15k per year, 55% city driving the Honda would cost you $436 more per year for gas. Just something to think about.

If I did not HAVE to get a new car today I would wait until I could get a deal before I did anything. As others have mentioned, some areas have some better prices making it possible to net some savings perhaps by traveling to get a new car.

Dennis
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    It would be good to get any car at near invoice and below. :blush: I tend to look at these things in terms of groups of 100,000 miles. Lots of things pop out at you when you work those numbers.

Indeed just about everything is a moving target. Anymore it is not enough for have a sharp pencil. It is good to have a quiver of sharp pencils and HUGE ERASERS. ;)

People that used to scoff at say 50 mpg, are starting to see its utility.
  • theconsultant9theconsultant9 Member Posts: 2
    I am a sales consultant for Honda and I cannot understand why your pride of paying sugguested retail (which you do every day for other products) will keep you from buying the best selling vehicle in the united states. With the highest residual value of all the cars you are looking at you must think ahead as to which vehicle will be worth more in the end also. If the civic is right for you and what you want i can help just ask.
  • airbumairbum Member Posts: 12
    just purchased a LX coupe with automatic no options for $16,350, plus Dest $635 and TTL. Best deal I found was $15,998 plus dest and TTL. This price was in Chicago.

The local dealer wanted $1,900 MORE. So I drove the whole 80 miles and got it.
    Then that was a cost effective trip @ app 712 per hour. ;)

Of course if you make 712 an hour, the deal cost you. :lemon:
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I tend to look at these things in terms of groups of 100,000 miles. Lots of things pop out at you when you work those numbers.

At $4.04 per gallon, 100k would be just $2,907 more as an estimate. You get a larger car that is probably a bit quieter and should have a higher resale value (in terms of dollars, but maybe not in terms of percentage of MSRP). If you could get the Accord for the same price as the Civic, then you would just pay for the extra gas and then get some of that money back when you sold the used car. If gas goes higher or even just stays around $4 the Civic may be worth nearly as much as the Accord after 100k - no way to know for sure NOW. Even if you have to pay MSRP for the Civic and got the Accord for invoice, you would be paying $800 more for the Accord (LX with AT for each model). So you are looking at $3,707 over 100k estimate at $4.04 per gallon.

Dennis
    Right, I use 100,000 miles as they are round numbers and conveniently rough out to 8.33 years to 6.67 years (yearly avg 12,000 to 15,000 miles) This is within range of the (7.5-8.5 year old) AVERAGE (passenger vehicle) FLEET AGE. (passenger vehicle fleet, which are app 251.4 M vehicles) I have read in passing that yearly auto fleet salvage rates are at app 7%. Yearly new car sales are @ 16-17 M/251.4=6.4 to 6.8%

So for example with a Civic (I get between 38-42 mpg- 38 mph for discussion purposes) /100,000=2632 gals @ 4.04=$10,632. Curiously the 04 Civic with 67k can sell for app the same price purchased NEW!!?? :shades:

So plug in some Accord #'s ( projections) and do a compare/contrast.

link title

So according to this site, I tend to get 24% better mpg. So I would PROJECT 31 mpg for the Accord/100000=3226 gals@4.04=$13,032.

Put another way, the Civic would be projected to give 22,572 more miles (3226 gal-2632 gal = 594 gals *38 mpg=) As anyone can see, those are a LOT of commute miles.
  • marmamarma Member Posts: 1
    thanks for the info.
    IS cruise control included in that price?
    answer will be appreciated
  • rman70rman70 Member Posts: 2
    Best I could negotiate was 19,150 for a Coupe EX + Tint
  • shawshawshawshaw Member Posts: 7
    Yes! Cruise Control is a standard item for Civic LX
  • labfm1labfm1 Member Posts: 1
    hey airbum, could you tell me what dealership you got your civic from...

i am currently looking for exactly what you bought, and that price ($16,350) is EXACTLY what I want to pay...
  • quality_dudequality_dude Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a white Civic LX coupe with automatic trans, alloy wheels and trim package (wheel locks, mud flaps, etc.). Visited 3 dealerships in So Cal to find this car. Inventory is very limited due to high demand. Total cost was $19,100 OTD.
  • macno0bmacno0b Member Posts: 22
    I was hoping for 16k or 17k max. Feasible?
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    TOTALLY ! but move quickly. isellhondas is correct: inventory is DWINDLING. High Demand right now.

Ya know, I couldn't even TEST DRIVE a hybrid if i wanted to. Zero inventory on Civic hybrids anywhere in Boston area. If you want a hybrid (i didn't) you order it and PAY for it!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Inventories are very tight now, at least in my neck of the woods.

Customers are starting to realize this now when they have to take their third choice of color etc.

I am not enjoying this situation.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Member Posts: 249
    I AGREE! We took our 2nd choice color, BEIGE Metallic, and we had to get it from a neighbouring dealer. First choice was Galaxy grey - sold their last one that weeken. 3rd choice was Silver - would've had to order that as well.

But we are actually very happy with the Beige. Glad we got this over the Grey.

The dealer had very little LX models in stock, and they didn't even order any DX models at all. I was prepared to buy a DX and have them put A/C in it, but there are no DX models anywhere in the area.

My next move - next year, is to trade in the V6 mini-van for a Honda Fit. Hope I can pull it off.
    It's probably been eight years since I sold a DX. We do have one in stock but it's been here quite awhile. by the time you add A/C you are up to the price of an LX.

They don't even come with a radio!

I know a lot of stores in our area can count their Civic inventories on their fingers and it's not getting any better.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    It seems like a nation wide problem. I could sell 30 Civic's this month if I had the inventory - and thats just showing $200.00 off the MSRP. Our Civic LX's are noe pre-sold through the middle of July. We have only two in-stock, one red and one beige. I don't expect them to be available come this weekend.

Fit's on the other hand, we have 43 available now through then end of July. And they're pre-selling quickly too.
    Congratulations! I guess that IS the good and bad news!!
  • airbumairbum Member Posts: 12
    sure, Jeff Wyler Honda in Colerain Ohio, its a sub of Cincy. Several dealers in Chicago offered the same if not $400 cheaper but since Wyler Honda was so close to me I just drove up and got it. Talk to a guy named Cox. I do think the doc fee was high, might want to double check that before you get there.

Zero hassles or pressure. It does seem the price has gone up $500 or so since a few months ago but one dealer wanted MORE then MSRP.
  • mrcoolguy209mrcoolguy209 Member Posts: 29
    I purchased a Civic LX Auto Sedan on 6/14 @ El Cerrito Honda (city right next to Berkeley, CA). I paid $16,297 (included destination). Tax, title & license are not included in that price. They were the standard fees.

I got the color I wanted. They seemed to have many in stock.

For anyone in this area, El Cerrito and Berkeley seemed to be the most aggressive price wise. Oakland Honda was also aggressive but did the whole slimy car dealer thing.
  • ilovecivicilovecivic Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys!

Can anyone tell the best price that I can get on HONDA CIVIC 2008 LX? No extra options. Just the standard things.
  • gelatiangelatian Member Posts: 4
    MSRP $17,595

Selling price $16,857.00
    Doc Fee 399.50
    Title Fee 28.50
    Sales Tax 1,337.38
    $18,622.38 out the door

So what's the consensus? Is this as good as I can hope to do or should I hold off?
    We would buy that Civic for that price and all of the others he has in inventory. I'm serious.

But, a 399,50 DocFee???

WOW!!
    "#7017 of 7048
    2008 Honda Civic LX by optimusprime11
    Jun 15, 2008 (8:26 pm)

Paid 17000 OTD. Manual trans. Paid Cash Sweet deal. Apparently not many people get stick anymore, or so the dealer says."

This is exactly the car I'm looking for; where did you find 17K OTD? Not possible in a state with sales tax like Nevada has, but wherever it was that is one tremendous price.
    "I won't even waste your time. There is no possible way to buy this vehicle for less than $18k OTD. The demand is so high on the Civic right now that we have 2 left and we are the largest Honda dealership in the State of Nevada. I would have to lose money to make that number and the Civic is a car that won't be discounted that much due to market demands. Goodluck finding that price, if you find it, buy one for me!"

Hitting rock wall resistance across the board at all dealers trying to get the price any lower. Looks like $18.6K will be my OTD price. Thanks isellhondas for your feedback!
    You're welcome.

I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on anyone.

The supply situation is downright depressing and getting worse.
    The situation can't be that bleak- I bought (LX - Auto) from El Cerrito, CA for $16,297 (includes destination). Berkeley was at 16,499 (includes dest).
    Well, out of curosity I just took a look.

Between those two stores they show a total of 12 LX 4 door Civics with automatics in stock.

Pretty slim pickings!
    Wasn't slim pickings this past Saturday. I bought my 1st choice of gray and they had my 2nd choice (beige) in stock. If I was inclined to do so, I could have bought a white one too!
  • giyer02giyer02 Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to visit chicago in the coming weeks and want to buy a civic lx. The prices in saint louis(where I live) are close to MSRP. Can you tell me what dealer gave you a the deals that you mentioned above ?

Thanks
    GI
    OK, so now they show 8 of these in stock.

Good thing you went in when you did!
  • ilovecivicilovecivic Member Posts: 2
    Is it worth to get HONDA CIVIC LX AUTOMATIC (with standard options and warranty)
    for 17.9k OTD in BOSTON, MA ?

And also can anyone tell me what is the standard warranty for HONDA CIVIC LX -2008 model.
  • tleetlee Member Posts: 44
    I knew that Honda sold a record number of Civics in May (I bought one of them) but I didn't know that the Civics have become America's best selling vehicle, marking the first time in 17 years that a car has out-sold Ford's F150:

http://www.toyoland.com/news/?p=153

No wonder the Civics are in short supply these days.
  • abincomabincom Member Posts: 7
    Open road Honda, Edison, NJ
    Honda ex sedan auto no-nav
    quotes:
    17,834.37 - car
    349.00 - doc
    278.00 DMV fees
    636.00 - destination
    1108.00 - 6% sales tax
    20,205.37 OTD
    >
    They only have beige or blue....
  • vicmeldrew1vicmeldrew1 Member Posts: 10
    come to omaha - the only quote is called MSRP; gonna buy an accord ex-l instead; no decent civics even on the lots of 5 local dealers;
  • vinijinvinijin Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know how long will it take to replenish low Civic inventories. I amsure Honda will incresed their Civic production, inventories will be normal, and the prices will become close to invoice.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    To make sure I understand your numbers:
    $17834.37 base price of Civic EX
    +$635.00 Destination charge
    +$349.00 dealer doc fee (wow - MN is only $50.00)
    =$18818.37 plus TT&L.

Awesome, just $100.00 over our invoice (in the twin cities we have a $200.00 co-op advertising fee added to each invoice at the factory).

Is this figure available on order-outs? If so, I would take advantage of it as I don't see Honda ramping up production any time soon.

We did just order 2009's yesterday. We get 16 of them for late August/early September.
  • bacchuswngbacchuswng Member Posts: 9
    Anyone have recent experience with buying a Civic in Austin? I'm looking to buy a LX (manual) and was wondering if anyone knew what the supply was like here. I have an offer of $18.8k OTD and was hoping to get closer to invoice + dest. Thanks!
  • boston34boston34 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Boston, and plan to buy a civic Lx at the end of July since I am travelling aboard right now and will come back at the end of July. I am really worried about that. :sick: So are there any chances that I can still get a civic Lx at the end of July in Boston?
  • patman36patman36 Member Posts: 12
    I put a deposit on an '08 EX-L w/ Nav last week. We expect the car 6/26. Final price was $22,283 which represents $812 of the $23,095 sticker. We had to settle for our second color choice, Atomic Blue (second to Galaxy Gray) but are excited (1) we are getting a car and (2) we got a "deal". They have a $99 doc fee and that is it.

Have qualified for the special APR financing and are waiting for lease quotes. We will see what those look like.
  • sammyslabsammyslab Member Posts: 5
    I just came from Valentine Honda in Richmond, KY. I had agreed to buy an LX for $1 over invoice. When I went there to pick the car up (new 2008 Civic LX), they had added $995 worth of "nothings" onto the MSRP plus $490 worth of dealer fees. I had never heard of this and walked away from the deal. A basic LX would have cost $18,800+ OTD. It seemed too much for a run of the mill LX with no nav.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks,,,, Sammy
  • anthonyv2anthonyv2 Member Posts: 3
    got one in february.

16899 for car automatic transmission
    1340 taxes
    45 doc fee
    12.50 nys tire fee
    60 registration fee
    10 inspection fee
    837 for alarm, wheel locks, and door guards

-900 for my 1996 honda prelude. body was shot. transmission leaking but engine only had 76000 original miles

18304 after everything was said and done

p.s. honda in long island ;)
  • blipp39211blipp39211 Member Posts: 13
    WOW, bought an LX automatic in November for $100 under invoice. Had the car delivered to our doorstep. Decided to buy another LX and sell the Odyssey. Requested quotes over the internet this past Monday from several local and out of state dealers. Here's what I got (all prices are OTD, excluding TT&L):
    Upstate NY - selling at MSRP. No Civics to be found. One dealer was taking orders w/a $200 refundable deposit and a two week wait.
    Downstate NY - $18335
    Boston area: 16985 + 284 doc fees
    Boston area: 17485 + 203 doc fees (only 2 Civic LXs left as this price). All new quotes will be at MSRP
    MA: has a few in stock but would not quote over the internet due to availability issues.
    NJ: 16995 + 541.50 doc/dmv/tire fees
    NJ: 16985+199 doc fees
    VA/DC area: 16834+ appearance pkg ($995) + processing fees

Flying to NJ next weekend to pick up the car. Seems like Civic prices are going up as fast as gas prices... :cry: Get 'um while you can.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    Swope in Louisville
    Wyler in Florence..
    Honda East in Cincinnati
    Century Honda in Cincinnati
    Performance in Cincinnati
    Somerset (forget the name)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• anthonyv2anthonyv2 Member Posts: 3
    if your a AAA or Costco member you can get a no haggle price. usually a few hundred bucks under the msrp for those looking for a deal. you need to contact them to find out participating dealers and make a appointment to talk to the rep at the dealer. this may be a option for those finding dealers who are charging thousands over the msrp to begin with! :)
  • avoirfiscalavoirfiscal Member Posts: 1
    We just picked up an LX Coupe in Automatic - white in color. Solicited bids from around 25 dealers in Atlanta area and ended up getting it from Heritage Honda in Rome. Very pleasant to deal with and very honest. They're also the only dealer we got a hold of that had the hybrid in stock, but we decided to go w/ the regular. Anyway, our price OTD was 18.6k (7% tax here), including the all season rubber mats. I'm pretty pleased.

Very very happy with the car. I had a 97 Civic and it's worlds apart. I also have an E46 M3 'vert and I wasn't nearly as disappointed in the ride as I thought I would be (it's going to be the wife's commuter).

2.9% financing is a steal too. Why pay cash when it's practically free money? No brainer all around.
  • slodog1slodog1 Member Posts: 1
    I used this site during my shopping for the past three months and it was very helpful in determining the real world prices for the civics. I bought one yesterday in Fontana CA at Rock Honda and was very happy with the deal. Have seen the dealers take advantage of the gas hype in the past month by jacking the prices up. My local dealer gave me the same BS that I got from many others about the limited inventory, high demand, blah blah blah, and would not budge from 900 over invoice. I talked to at least 20 dealers in the northern and southern Ca area and got the same story from about 75 percent of them. I did and internet price request through this site and was called within 10 minutes by Chris R from Rock Honda in Fontana CA with a price. The car is an 08 Civic coupe with auto, Blk/Blk, no other options or add ons. The numbers are as follows 18669 plus fees which were 1357 Ca tax, 55 doc, 192 lic./ OTD 20302. No games, No hassles, offered the ext warr, and gap coverage but one no was the last word on the subject. Friendly and informative sales rep and a nice facility. Kept waiting for the rabbit in the hat but there was none. Drove 200 miles for the deal but well worth the end result. The new car rocks.