Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• takeitec143takeitec143 Member Posts: 14
    Hi,
    I got a Civic EX with 5 M/T last week for $17400 + 670 + 115 (out of state regs) + 99 (dealer fees) + tax and tags. came around 19300

I didnt have any spoiler in though.
  • waynetamwaynetam Member Posts: 18
    Can someone please post the invoices for each trim level of Civic Si Coupe and Sedan? I found it frustrating that for some reason Edmunds still don't have that information available.
  • rkrigsmanrkrigsman Member Posts: 3
    Takeitec, where did you buy yours? Great price compared to what I just paid (or at least put down $500 deposit on). I don't see the location in your messages. I may cancel my order if I can duplicate your pricing.
    Thanks!
  • talk2me2talk2me2 Member Posts: 1
    Local dealer internet manager offering new 2009 Civic LX for $17500 plus
    $650 destination plus tax, tags and $399 "documentation fee".

Dealers seem to imply that internet deals are their best prices. Has anyone
    been able to bargain down from an internet price?
  • rkrigsmanrkrigsman Member Posts: 3
    In negotiating from the Internet quote I got em to throw in the rear deck lid spoiler for my EX which they say cost $485 installed (it's $3 worth of plastic with some paint and probably 15 minutes of install). I told em if they throw it in I'll buy the car which they did.

Looking at this forum it looks like I could have done quite a bit better then the quotes I received. I had 3 dealers quote the car from the internet and they were all within $200 of each other here in CT. Others seem to have paid quite a bit less.
  • goheels2goheels2 Member Posts: 12
    I am shopping for 4 door manual transmission Honda LX Civic Sedans in NC and the dealers in my state are claiming "BS" on this price of $16100 on automatic Civic LX 4-door Sedans. Could you please tell me the name of the dealership that quoted you this figure? The NC dealers I've spoken with say either this quote is on a DX model OR you're lying OR the dealer's lying. If this quote is accurate on an automatic transmission LX 4 door Sedan then I should be able to get the 5 speed for $15300. Most dealers will price match other dealers. I plan to call the dealer you got this quote from and call their bluff. So far the lowest quote I've received in NC is $16300 plus TTL. Can someone help me get a better price? I need specific dealers. Thanks.
    What dealer gave you this quote? The NC dealers tell me there's absolutely no way that any Honda dealers are going to sell their vehicles for less than invoice minus the 2% holdback. I wish everyone on this site would give the exact dealers who give them the quotes they're posting online.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I wish the same thing.

Anybody can post anything.

Why WOULD a dealer lose big money on a popular car?
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    oneupmanship
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Just curious as to what's the better deal right now in terms of leasing either a Civic or Accord - local folks are advertising both for same price...
    Hi,
    I got mine from O'Donnell Honda in Ellicott city, MD. But again finding a Manual Transmission is really difficult, may be that why the dealer gave it for that price. I am still finding reasons to myself for him to accept my deal. Any ways fortunately the car had the color and spec I needed.
    One downside is that it had 50 miles (A test drive car I guess) in it when I took it out of the dealer, any comments on that. I have driven it for 700 miles now. Still waiting for 1000 mark so that I can race it like I used to do with my 94 Accord with Stick. That car is a real gem.
    Thats a real good price considering the Invoice + dest of LX auto is $17,396.77

I don't know why he is giving for that less.
    Check out the http://autos.aol.com/ for new car and then u get Invoice and other pricing clearly.
  • steve190steve190 Member Posts: 12
    Sounds like the price is too good to be true. Can you please give me the dealers name and location? I would buy one today if I could get the same deal. Thanks for any information you can provide and have a great Holiday!
    Hi,
    Check my previous post. Ask for Musa in O'Donnell Honda and tell him that guy who got Civic EX with 5 M/T couple of weeks ago referred me . But If you need an auto I guess it will easy but I checked for my other friend for a same config with him but couldnt find anywhere around here. So now he is going with Si.
  • jaatjaat Member Posts: 14
    One of my friend bought new Honda Civic LX 4 Door (Auto Trans) in 18600 (out of door) in San Diego, CA. I am also looking to buying my Civic from same dealer, is it a good price for this car? He did not have good credit history as he just landed in US last year. I do have excellent credit history, so should I try for a better bargain.

Based upon this price, how much I should be paying if I want an EX (not LX) 4 door Automatic?

I noticed that Honda is coming with Honda 2010 Insight in April 2009. I am not in hurry for my car as I already have one car and will need another one for my wife in next year March-April time frame. Does it make sense to wait till that time for Honda 2010 or Prius 2010 given that fact they might be selling on premium (means 5000-6000 more than Civic LX).

Another confusion I have is - As I do not need Civic till March-April 2009, should I buy it now (as they are so many deals) or should I wait for till March-April 2009 (not sure what kind of deals or prices will be there at that time).

Thanks for reading and replying to my post.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    The statements about credit history indicate an emphasis on a way secondary issue- financing. Upshot: Get pre qualified. Then look/shop/negotiate for the best rates, i.e., as close to ZERO APR as possible.

In terms of the car, be very careful what you decide, since Honda (as well as EVERYBODY else) offers/sells/ and can offer dealer installed added profit building items, the real question/s can only be answered by you. Once you identify a model then talk in terms of invoice pricing. My take in the current market/s you should be looking at UNDER invoice especially for stock the dealer wants to move.

This is a very old example (04 Civic to be exact). We needed a fuel efficient car for a plain jane daily commute. Longer distance driving (vacations, road trips, etc) is merely an after thought. We literally then and now can get anything/any model. So for example, did we need cruise control? Ah NO! It is almost impossible to use cruise control in a rolling parking lot. Did we need power door locks? Ah NO! 98% of the driving was done by one lone person (aka driver) So a weird spin off: will you hear me complaining about electric door locks that do not work? :) YET to get these two seemingly normal things added or to get the next model UP more correctly (at the time- I don't know what it is today) WAS 1,300 dollars !!! So how much fuel does $1,300 buy today @ corner store prices? (@ $1.84 per gal= 707 gals @ 38 mpg=26,866 commute miles) What does that convert to per year for YOU. Do you know how many dollars it adds to your monthly payments if you had opted for those two options?
  • bo-chaobo-chao Member Posts: 1
    I also want to buy Honda civic Lx Auto Sedan within two weeks
    Do you have the written quote?(OTD 18600)
    If you have,could you send it to me?

My email is chao0119@hotmail.com
    Thanks!!
    No i do not have the written quote...my friend told me over the phone about his price.
  • congngecongnge Member Posts: 2
    I got internet quote for $16,876+TTL. Is it a good price for texas?
  • wspencerwspencer Member Posts: 8
    Gunn Honda in San Antonio have them at 16600 for an 09 civic sedan automatic
    Are you positive this quote was for an LX and not a DX? Thanks for sharing the name of the dealership. It gives us much more bargaining power when we have specific dealerships who have quoted figures. I have e-mailed Gunn Honda to see if they will honor this deal for me as well. I'm interested to hear their response.
  • sinsdsinsd Member Posts: 46
    What dealer in San Diego?
  • teasipteasip Member Posts: 16
    I've got a holding quote on a Civic EX-L sedan (w/o Nav) here in N. Texas for $20,365 and don't actually need the vehicle till end of Dec. (daughter's 16th BDay on the 27th and dealer knows this). Any idea what Honda is going to offer after Dec. 1st with regard to financing offers?
  • teasipteasip Member Posts: 16
    Duh on my part. Heaven forbid I check the most obvious source. Thanks sinsd for pointing me to the obvious. Everything I had seen referenced through Dec. 1st so thanks to you I don't have to have a sense of hurry up and wait. Thanks again and happy holidays to you!
  • jimb519jimb519 Member Posts: 11
    initial price for civic dx-vp in Rochester, NY
    $16,797
    1343 % sales tax
    250 license, reg etc
    $ 18,390 total

I'm thinking I can get better deal---any opinions on a target price?

Thanks
  • hondajhondaj Member Posts: 9
    That's right! I just got a quote via Overstock.com for an '09 Si Taffeta White with no extra equipments. I live near Pasadena in Southern California. Here's is the break down:

Invoice $20,845
    You save $2,130 off MSRP
    Price Adjustment $500 below invoice
    Overstock Price $20,345
    MSRP $22,475
    Color Exterior: Taffeta White
    Interior: Black

Overstock refers Honda of Hollywood to me for this price. I am sure there will be bogous fees or maybe the car is not even available on the lot, but it doesn't hurt to try. I will visit the dealership this week and I will keep you guys posted on what happens next. Keep our fingers crossed for now.
    I would appreciate if somebody can guide me on this -

I do not need Civic till March-April 2009, should I buy it now (as they are so many deals) or should I wait for till March-April 2009 (not sure what kind of deals or prices will be there at that time but may be 2010 model will be close at that time)

Thanks Again.
    Mike Lents is the internet manager that sold my son a car. good luck
    yes it was a 4 door sedan LX the internet manager is Mike Lents
  • minds_eyeminds_eye Member Posts: 4
    OK,y'all, check it out. I obtained these numbers from a very knowledgeable source, I just can’t say "who" cuz I don't wanna get sued!

All these prices are for "COUPES" only - not Sedans (4-door)

MSRP: (incl. $670.00 delivery fee)
    DX: 15,875
    LX: 17,825
    EX: 19,875
    EX-L: 21,425
    (But, you guys already know this much)

Dealers Price
    DX: 14,691
    LX: 16,480
    EX: 18,360
    EX-L: 19,781

Minus the following "Dealer Holdback" the Honda dealer receives NO other "incentive" from Honda, regional, etc.

DX: 304.00
    LX: 343.00
    EX: 384.00
    EX-L: 415.00

Soooo, your starting bid should be:
    DX: 14,387
    LX: 16,137
    EX: 17,976
    EX-L: 19,366

And of course, add $800.00 to this if you are wanting an automatic trans.

Hope this helps! Good luck out there!
    I too got a very low quote ($500 under invoice) from Overstock.com referring me to Honda Hollywood for a Si w/navigation. Will check them out to see if they'll honor the price.....
  • njp142njp142 Member Posts: 5
    For a 2009 Civic EX-L AT, I just got an internet quote of:

-$19,395 car
    -$670.00 for destination
    -$89.00 for dealer processing fee
    -$1.209.24 for 6% MD sales tax
    -$222.00 for 2yr new tags
    = $21,585.24 OTD

The Edmunds invoice is $19845, so it doesn't seem too bad. However, this is my first car buying experience so how do the added fee costs sound? Is there is any wiggle room in there to negotiate and which should I try to lower?

On the plus side of being in the area, there's 5 nearby Honda dealerships so hopefully that'll help my ability to negotiate.
  • steve190steve190 Member Posts: 12
    Hi there, just wanted to let everyone out there see what I have been quoted so far for two different models as I have not made up my mind which way to go yet. First was a Honda Civic EX Coupe, 5 speed for 17,976 plus 300 for Doc. Fees and of course tax and registation. The other was an SI without Nav. for 20,309 plus same fees. This was quoted by Boch Honda in Norwood MA. and was a no hassle price the first time. I live near Albany, NY but think it is worth the drive because I do not think any local dealer will match it (I will try them first). But for anyone who lives near the Norwood, MA area I think this is a great deal. Good luck everyone and enjoy your Honda's!
    So I got the exact car I wanted (Civic Si sedan w/nav/summer tires) at a great price from DE at Honda of Hollywood internet department. At first I was skeptical about the overstock.com quoted price of $500 under invoice at Honda Hollywood but I decided to give it a try. Well turned out DE is a true no BS guy and what you quoted was what you pay! (well my car has wheel locks and mud guards which I paid additional $250 over the overstock.com price which was fine with me, but my guess is you might be able to get that reduced.....I didn't bother because I felt $500 under invoice was already such a great deal with no huggle). Anyway once my overstock.com quote was sent to DE and I confirmed with him the next morning he has the exact car I drove there in the afternoon today and he already had the car parked in the front all washed and clean. It had only 8 miles on it and I took it for a short spin to make sure it drives alright then we were back to the dealer to finish the paperwork which was straight forward. However watch out for the finance guy as he was trying to sneak in a $165 fee for some kind of security system which was not part of the deal (had nothing to do with DE, it's just like every other dealers that those finance guys would always try to get you to buy those LoJack, extra warranty etc and I declined all of them). So anyway if you're in Southern California you owe it to yourself to call this guy DE at Honda Hollywood (I would definitely recommend using overstock.com to get the price first as it automatically forward your request to him and you get a printout of your quote no BS price). I'm so glad the previous poster mentioned overstock.com's car buying service otherwise I wouldn't had discover Honda Hollywood (they are 40 minutes away from where I live and I wasn't even considering them at first). Well I've tried most of the other Honda dealers (and their so called internet departments) and none of them can compete DE at Honda Hollywood for straight price and no BS great service.
  • tupuctupuc Member Posts: 27
    Hey there,

I'm about to seal the deal, well not really seal it but give a deposit for a 2009 Civic LX-S sedan and manual.

The final price including TTL is 18800 do you think is a good price? :confuse:
    tupuc,

That sounds like a much better price than I got, and the only difference is I want automatic. Where were you quoted that price?
    njp142 thanks for your response

This was quoted in Texas and New Mexico. Both dealerships gave me that price and NM was unwilling to negotiate any lower and the reason why I chose TX is because I don't have to drive a lot to get it,

I've been checking and pretty much the price they gave me was $800 more than what other dealerships here in Texas quoted for an LX before I settled on the LX-S.

I don't need it right now, do you think prices are going to go down after the new year? I can easily wait a couple of monts :confuse:
    My mistake tupuc, I accidently misread and thought you were buying an EX-L. I actually don't know if that's a good price for the LX-S.
    Everyone please take my advice and before you buy from any Honda dealer in the U.S., call Gunn Honda in Texas and get a quote from them first. I found out that they are only 1 of about 8 Honda dealers nationwide where all the salespeople are on SALARY (yes you heard me correctly). And since they're not on commission they just give you one rock bottom price with NO negotiation. Their pricing is strictly based on how long certain vehicles have been on their lot. And right now they have a bunch of 4 door LX Civic sedans in stock. If you live in Texas or within driving distance of Gunn Honda then you should go there to buy it. I'm in N.C. so it doesn't make financial sense for me to buy there. But I'm using their low quotes to help me get a great deal here in my state. Texas has a much higher vehicle tax than in N.C. Ours is just 3%. I spoke with a gentleman there who has been with Honda for 5 years and he gave me some great advice. He said I should be able to get a 4 door LX Civic sedan with automatic transmission for 16600. He's got 1 or 2 left that he can sell for that price because they've been on their lot for a while. He said I should be able to get a 4 door LX Civic sedan with manual transmission for $16200. He also said that all car dealers will waive the doc fees if you push them hard enough. Gunn Honda only charges $50 for doc fees. Once I end up purchasing my Civic I'll post the pricing details on here. Hope this helps.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Fitzmall is the same way. Do a Google search and you'll find most auto manufacturers available at a Fitzmall dealer that are just as you described.
  • amkingamking Member Posts: 16
    let me know who you end up buying from in the carolinas... i'm looking to finally pull the trigger on an 09 EX sedan by year's end. ;)
    Thanks for the advice goheels2! I haven't really signed or paid anything yet here in town and Gunn Honda is located in San Antonio, I'd still have to fly/drive over there to pick it up but it's possible since I live in TX.

I just sent them an inquiry, let's see if they can beat my lowest quote of $18,800 total for an LX-S considerably. So far, I haven't had any luck w/3 dealers from NM, and 3 dealers from TX, they just wanted to give me a total price of $18,670 and I still had to drive 8 hrs round trip to pick it up. :P
    I contacted GUNN and asked for a quote on the LX-S

They answered within a matter of minutes, $19,355.56 total, I asked them if they could beat the $18,814 offer and no response, pretty much that's what I've been getting, the dealer in town is offering a good deal I guess :)

Taxes here in TX are high 6.25% on new vehicles, I guess that's what drives the price up :(
    The only reason that Gunn wouldn't beat another quote is they probably don't have many LX sport versions in stock. They price low only when they've got excess vehicles they're trying to move. And right now they have a ton of regular LX 4 door sedans in stock so they're pricing those very aggressively. Look up the invoice price on Edmunds.com (including destination), and then subtract the dealer holdback (2% of MSRP). Take that figure and and add taxes and tags (no doc fees). If you're firm enough with a dealership you should be able to get very close to that figure. Dealers try to act like doc fees are non-negotiable which is BS. You name your out the door price you're willing to pay and then call dealers until one says they'll do it. Eventually you'll find one that's motivated to move a unit at cost if they have to. The guy at Gunn Honda told me that many dealers are hurting big time right now. So don't let them bully you.
    The guy at Gunn Honda told me has seen LX-S 4 door sedans with manual transmission sell for as low as $17000 (ones that had been on the lot over 120 days). The problem is that at Gunn if they don't have many or they haven't been on their lot for long then they don't mark them down as much. Based on what he told me I believe you should be able to get what you want out the door for $18200 or very close to it (mudguards adds about $109). I would keep calling dealers and tell them you're ready to buy if they'll get the OTD price to $18000. I'm in sales, so I've developed good negotiating skills over the years. In negotiations, as the buyer if you don't give a price that's refused by a dealer then you didn't go low enough. You never want to commit until you've found the absolute rock bottom. The way to do that is to throw ridiculous low ball figures at dealers and see how they respond. Hope this helps.
    I've actually decided to purchase a Toyota Camry instead (much roomier). But the lowest quote I got on a Honda from a NC dealer was from Crown Honda in Greensboro for $16400 on a 4 door LX sedan Civic with manual transmission. I believe you can get a Honda now for invoice (Edmunds.com) less the dealer holdback (2% of MSRP). Also I believe you can get the doc fees waived. If I were still interested in an LX Civic sedan with manual transmission I would be asking for $16900 out the door.
  • MaxMaddyMaxMaddy Member Posts: 3
    I dont have any specific details, but I did see a college grad rebate sign at the honda dealership i visited today in Arlington VA. So yes, they do have one!
  • MaxMaddyMaxMaddy Member Posts: 3
    I'm located in NoVA. What can I realistically expect to pay? I see invoice for the VP is $15626, and for the LX is $16727. MSRP is $16955, and $18155, respectively.
    Can I talk them down to invoice or below? This is my first new car buying experience, so I'm overwhelmed & intimidated. If I cant get them to settle for below invoice, can I get them to pay the destination or processing fees? That alone is almost $1000, according to a quote i got from Brown's in Arlington VA.
    Do I walk in, tell them what I want, and make an offer?