Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dlrskidlrski Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, drove to dealership this evening and drove the EX-L. Really would like the leather but wonder if the stability control and heated seats are worth the extra $1500.

any opinions on the true value of the addition. By the way, fun sporty drive coming out of a V-6 SUV
  • azhondaazhonda Member Posts: 5
    Is there anyone here from Arizona? I would like to know what a good deal on a Civic LX-S would be OTD.
  • jhusfjhusf Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Sacramento2:
    I got it, Hopefully I can also get the same price. Thank you very much.
  • scfscf Member Posts: 3
    I have (had?) the same concern....drove both the EX and EX-L but am pretty sure the extra cash isn't worth it.

The leather is nice, but definitely not top quality. VSA, from what I'm told, is worthwhile, but with the limited HP and FWD its not as useful as with other vehicles....

I'm -not- an expert so I'm just going with what I'm told (by a pretty trustworthy source) and plan to save the extra $1400...
  • mllewellynmllewellyn Member Posts: 25
    Hey guys,
    Im new to the car buying business and I am about to buy a new car. I just got an internet price from a dealership here in Miami, Fl and it said:

Vehicle Features

Trim:
    EX (A5)
    Engine:
    1.8L Inline4
    Transmission:
    5 speed Automatic
    Doors:
    Exterior Color

Alabaster Silver Metallic

Interior Color

Beige w/Cloth Seat Trim

Pricing

MSRP
    $20,105
    Destination Charge
    $670
    Total Price as Built*
    $20,775

Internet Price*
    $18,285

Can anybody give me an idea if this is good or not?
    Thanks
  • antonio1antonio1 Member Posts: 27
    Hi,

Here in orlando you can buy a Hybrid for 600.00 more of your price. I think they can do a better price on it......
  • crazyflycrazyfly Member Posts: 61
    VSA comes standard on the Accord. Like Civic, great deals are available these days on Accords. I think Vehicle Stability Assist is a must have for safety. If I am dropping 20 grand on a car and then going to see and drive it every day, would sure like for it to have all the current safety features.
  • dolsey01dolsey01 Member Posts: 92
    You should be at $17,785 or less based on the prices I received in middle Florida.
    Thanks.:
    I got another quote from a dealer, but not sure if it includes destination charge.
    Is this a good deal w/out destination charge?
    Sales tax in florida is 6%

Year Make Model Trim Color MSRP* Discount* Price*
    2009 Honda Civic Sdn EX $20,775.00 $3,275.00 $17,500.00

Thanks
  • kashif_aqeelkashif_aqeel Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2009 Honda Civic EX 4DR Sedan. Purchase was made at Coral Springs Honda, Coral Springs, Florida. The bottom line price including all fees and taxes was $18,868. The sales tax is 6% and the car included pin striping, edge guards and moor roof hood. I had an existing tag that was transferred.

I did not have a tarde-in and I did not finance through the dealer

I negotiated the price with 5 dealers via email and phone. Once I got to the dealership, the experience was smooth. They did not try to play any games and there were good number of cars to chose from.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,968
    Have been to Coral Springs automall for all my warranty work and a recent oil change. They have never been very competitive price wise. Wondering what their dealer fee was? All their cars
    had an add on fee for the pin stripe/other nonsense on all their cars. Were you able to get them to take it off?

The Sandman (From Coral Springs) :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• kashif_aqeelkashif_aqeel Member Posts: 2
    I walked into the dealership with a price already agreed upon. The car did have the pin stripes, edge guards and moon roof hood, but the sales agent did not even mention those things as he knew very well that I'll walk off the lot if he raised the price by even $1. I made it abundantly clear to him that I will do so and he knew that there were 4 other dealers competing for the business.

Their initial quote was 20,xxx for OTD on this car. They revised the quote 2 times after I forwarded other dealers' quotes to them. On the detail price form, I see that they did not charge me any dealer fee, just prices, destination, registration, taxes and some small county fees.

If you fee more comfortable with other dealers, Maroone Honda of hollywood also gave me a good quote at 18,957 OTD
  • dolsey01dolsey01 Member Posts: 92
    It looks like they are including destination since the $20,755.00 MSRP price includes it. The sale price of $17,500 if $1685 below invoice so based on the current incentives that looks like a good price. I would find out what their "dealer fee" is since virtually every car dealer in Florida charges one and is can vary from a few hundred to almost a thousand dollars. Get an Out-The-Door price.

Also, allot of dealers load these cars up with accessories and they put them on all the cars on the lot so that you have no choice but to buy them. So don't be surprised if that $17,500 all of a sudden has another $1000 of mud guards, wheel locks, pin stripping, etc......

I would also check their inventory on their website to see how many the actually have in stock.
  • dlrskidlrski Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I am definitely leaning toward the EX w/o leather.

I spoke w/ a friend tonight and he "hates" the traction contol on his vehicle. He stated that if rains and he is at a stop sign the car seems"confused." Of course he can just turn it off. He does alot of winter weather driving and has never needed it!
  • wlchen2wlchen2 Member Posts: 4
    Hey Tarbargan,

Wow, that's a really great deal. I'm trying to buy the same car from the same dealer. Could you forward me the quote email and give me some insights? :) Who did you work with? Do you have his #? And maybe I can say you refer me?

Thanks in advance!

-Wei Ling
    Hey,

If you can email me the quote, my email is weiling@dzone.com. Sorry forgot to include that earlier. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wei Ling
    Hey Dolsey,
    I got another out the door OTD quote for a 2009 honda civic LX sedan automatic for $17,863

any advice?
    Thanks
  • lea6454lea6454 Member Posts: 2
    was it automatic?
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I'm not sure where your located (and how much that would affect the Edmunds TMV), but using my Zip Code (GA)- the LX Auto 4-door has a TMV of $17,168. If $17,863 is OTD (includes Sales Tax and all), then it sounds like a good deal!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    mllewellyn, the $17.8K OTD price for Civic LX-Automatic in FL is about $1000 more than what it should be. In the last 10 days people have paid less than $17K for LX. Honda is currently offering $1000 "dealer cash" to car dealers so remind the dealer about this and subtract $1K from their offer price. The OTD price for LX automatic in FL (6% tax) should'nt be more than $16,600
  • ralphwiggum1ralphwiggum1 Member Posts: 31
    $16,600 OTD would be a steal.

my best offer for MN was:

$15,600.00 - Sale Price
    +$1,034.00 - tax (6.5% + $20 transit tax)
    +$ 231.00 - lic
    +$ 75.00 - Doc fee
    +$ 38.00 - title

=$16,978.00 out the door
  • boston84boston84 Member Posts: 10
    Any idea why this dealer cash is not listed on current incentives on edmunds? Leads me to question the reliability of this site.
    Hey,

I was quoted $16,682 out-the-door for a LX Sedan, whatever color today in NC. All of the honda dealers in the area were willing to sell it to me for that price after I sent them the email quote.

-WL
    Hey guys,

I just got an offer for $17,538 sales price + 3% tax +$398 doc + $74 tag.

So I'm looking at about 18,528 out-the-door.

Is that a good price? Not sure what kind of deal Honda will have after this $1k expires.

I'm going to check out the car tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Wei Ling
    Ok, I called this morning and told the salesman that I wanted a Civic LX-S and gave him some numbers. He said he could get close but if it doesn't work out he will give us a $25 gas card. With this in mind my wife and I drove the hour to check it out. Right out of the gate they wanted to run my credit, I told them they could run it AFTER we agreed on some numbers. We test drove the car then went inside to talk money. He asked again what I wanted to pay and when I told him he wanted me to sign a piece of paper committing that I would buy if he got it there. I told him I am not signing ANYTHING. Then the manager came over. Asked me to sign one and I told him no. It was only after that we talked numbers. They said the lowest they could go is $17,400 for a civic LX-S. They also told us our trade in was worth 2K lower than the trade in value on KBB.com. We said we weren't interested and asked for our gas card. The first salesman told us that he was not willing to give us a gas card because we were being "difficult". What a joke and waste of time. I told him the numbers before we even drove up. I will never shop there again and urge anyone else to do the same.
  • hondajhondaj Member Posts: 9
    hi azhonda... in my opinion, you should've known that trade-ins are always lower than if you sell it to a private party. i think they probably would've sold you the car at your ideal price had you signed the commitment paper. it's true that we, as buyers, have the power to do what we want because money is in our pocket; but, it's important to show sincerity if you were serious enough to buy. i think you wasted your own time as well as theirs in the end. :sick:

good job on not getting your credit checked after you talked some numbers though.
    They were that much below what the TRADE IN value was on KBB.com. I know that I will never get as much from the dealer as I could from a private party. In the end, I do not want to do buisness with a dealership that acts as unprofessional as they did.
  • sacramento2sacramento2 Member Posts: 18
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Few weeks ago, when I was getting my wife's Civic LX-S auto, I emailed the dealer what price I was going to pay OTD and also told him about my trade in. I had already did a research and told him I was looking for $2,800 - $3,000 for my wife's 97 Accord (based on the KBB & Edmunds & local dealers prices - $5,100). My reasoning (5100-3000) was still a 2100 profit for them. I went in and negotiated for few minutes before they gave me what I wanted ($3,000). I told him I was walking away otherwise... I think it also helped that my wife's car had only 107,107 miles & had 4 new Michelin tires (about 2 months old)... Anyway walk away if you are not comfortable with anything - you can always do better - especially in this economy...
    hondaj, I totally disagree with what you said.

azhonda absolutely does not have to sign any 'commitment' to show he is interested. The simple fact that he & his wife drove an hour and were standing at the car dealer's lot more than shows they are interested in buying. The car dealer knew what azhonda wanted to pay and indicated his seriousness to sell by offering a gift card in case **He ** (the dealer) is not able to match the offer. In the end the dealership did not match or come close, the least they could do was follow through on the measly $25 gift card. The car dealer absolutely wasted azhonda's time and efforts by playing childish games. Too bad for them to do that in this age of social networking. I am sure azhonda would buy from other place.

zahonda, lookup the website called 'rate my dealer' and do just that. then email honda.com and the ownership of that car dealer. The dealer totally ruined your day, so give it to em like a man. Also post your experience on your myspace, facebook and any blog you can find. Spread the word. Do us all a favor and please save the AZ car buyers from that dealer. Thanks so much.
    azhonda,
    sorry to hear about your bad experience. About the trade in, if other dealers also don't give you want you want for the trade-in, you have the option to sell the car privately ... say on craigslist especially if the car is valued less than $10K. I have bought, sold cars from/to private individuals and dealers. With the economy the way it is, many people are looking for used cars instead of buying new, thats one reason used car prices are up.

If you would like to go the route of selling your car privately and need some help crafting an ad, let me know. I will be happy to share the ad template I've used in the past that worked particularly well. Good luck!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    You can rate your dealer right here... Just look for the box near the top of the page.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fourfourtwofourfourtwo Member Posts: 13
    Crazyfly - is it $500 or $1,000 dealer cash? I looked on Edmunds and it showed $500.

Anyone out there bought a manual LX Coupe recently and can share what they paid please?

Thanks.
    To my knowledge Honda is offering $1K dealer cash this month, which is the same figure they offered last month. Not sure why Edmunds is showing only $500, may be honda revised it to a lower figure? Anyone else want to check or validate?

The out the door price of Civic LX automatic has fallen over the last few months. Just a few months ago $18K OTD was a good deal, now its $16.5 and I guess the dealer cash incentive has something to do with it. Keep in mind that 09 model year is coming to an end soon and many dealers are still sitting on inventory they received last year!! so Honda is doing all it can to move inventory. I will be surprised if honda actually lessened its incentives. It is my understanding that as the model year gets closer to end, the deals will stay the same or get sweeter, not the other way around.

I know you are looking for a manual coupe, if you don't find someone who bought the same car in the last week or so, take the LX sedan prices and adjust em for manual coupe. Sales tax plays a major role in final OTD price (adds or subtracts hundreds of $) so be sure you are factoring that in. Good luck.
    I just got a quote of $16,600 + tax, lic, etc.... for a Civic LX-S sedan. Is that a fair price?
    $16.6 for LX-S is a nice price, but dealer still has $500 more to go to bring the price down to about $16k before TTL. You may want to request OTD price quotes, just so the dealer doesn't pad the final out the door price with bogus fees on top of the sale price of the car. I've seen people pay hundreds of dollars in dealer charges just because they had negotiated only the price of car, not the Out the Door price.

With $16k price of car, 8% AZ sales tax, and $200 for Tags and Licence, your OTD for LX-S automatic should be a little less than $17.5k I looked up the AZ sales tax online so you may want to double-check that.
  • kingdeuceoffkingdeuceoff Member Posts: 8
    Let me guys know if you think this is a good deal/ how much lower we can go:

EDIT: CIVIC LX AUTOMATIC

Price - 16,122
    Tax (DE) - 605
    Gov't Fees???- 355
    Doc Fees ( I guess this is tags) - 120

Total for Civic LX OTD $17202.

Let me know where I should be pushing and if these fee's are bogus etc. I was thinking if I could get an LX out the door for $17000 with floor mats,and a full tank that would be about right?
    king, if you pay $17K OTD to dealer you would end up paying him $1000 more than the going price. In the last week people have paid $15,400 for civic LX sedan. With that said, the rest of the deal would probably look like this:

Price of car....................$15,400
    DE Sales tax (2.75%).......$423
    Tags, title........................$150
    Doc Fee .........................$ 50
    OTD price of car ...........$16,023

I don't know what the $355 govt fee is, perhaps Tags? check your DMV website for the actual fees. Doc fee is a dealer fee they charge you to prepare your docs. $50 is okay, anything more than $100 is way to much. Tank of gas is $20 and mats are $50. You can get latter from the parts dept or online. Since you are in snowy DE, I suggest you get mud-flaps which will protect your car. Costs $50 online and you can easily install with a phillips screwdriver. But dealer will charge you $200 for it.
    I should have mentioned this is for an automatic, does the 15,400 still hold true? DE is 3.75% from what I read on the DMV site.
  • sri9sri9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am looking to buy a new Honda Civic LX Auto. I got some quotes for Honda civic LX automatic and the best price I got OTD is $ 18000. Is it a good deal?. if some one got any quotation or recently purchased at a price lower than this price please let me know. Also let me know some of the good dealers in NJ. Thank you.
    Hey, we live in the Philadelphia area and we're looking at a 16,122 base, plus t/t and fees. See my post on the previous page.

We're ~700 below you if NJ tax is 7%?
    I must have looked up some incorrect tax rate. so please adjust the OTD price accordingly. the $15.4 is for LX sedan automatic.
    Thanks,

Looks like I got some work to do in the next week. Anyone know what kind of incentives we're looking at for next month?
  • mummichog25mummichog25 Member Posts: 4
    I got 2 quotes slightly less than that for an EX automatic (in MA and southern ME) ...5% sales tax ... about 17050 for car and fees before tax, which is easer to compare state-state. 1 place was that low right off; 1 was after lots of back and forth by e-mail. LX should be significantly less than EX, though ... a while ago a few posts here suggested Honda's incentives were maybe more for higher-end models - are deals better for EX? (we wanted moonroof and 60/40 folddown of the back seat for sure so didn't check LX prices). Good luck!
  • bostonbenbostonben Member Posts: 71
    That sounds pretty good for an EX.

I think $15.3 is the lowest I have seem for an LX before any taxes/fees on here.
  • warmonkedwarmonked Member Posts: 7
    aaseattle, Thanks very much for your review on the Seattle area Honda dealerships.
    Well I live in Florida (Miami 33166) and I got better deal of $17763 out the door including everything for the honda civic lx auto sedan.
    I think this is a pretty good deal since alot of other dealerships are asking around 18100-18500 for it.
    What do you think?
    Hey Crazyfly,
    Do you know of any dealerships in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area that would give me that kind of out the door quote that you mentioned. Or if you can forward me any quotes that you may have recieved.
    Also, whats the exact details about the $1000 "dealer cash" to car dealers thing?
    Thanks for the help.
  • bostonbenbostonben Member Posts: 71
    Just spoke to a dealer in Massachusetts who told me they have $750 rebate cash plus $1000 "callover override" based on meeting a monthly quota. That means the *true invoice* with destination is about $14,900. Of course, if the dealer is not close to the quota or at it, then invoice is much higher. He said they were not renewing the extra incentive next month. Not sure how true that is.
    Hey guys,

Just got a quote for a Civic LX Sedan, Auto.

Base- $15,828

Tax and tags, fees. (DE) bring it to $16,694 OTD tagged for 5 years.

I think this is a great price, and many dealers around that have "price guarantees" are not even willing to match it.

Let me know what you guys think.
  • vegashomesvegashomes Member Posts: 24
    Is the callover overide national or regional?