Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• crazyflycrazyfly Member Posts: 61
    I don't work for honda but looking at incentive history it seems very likely that the incentives will be back in about a week to ten days.

From purly conceptual point of view, for incentives to work as "incentive" they do *not* need to be available all the time. Having incentive available all month long is pure 'dumb'. They should be made available for brief period of time and then expire. Doing that will give the buyers and dealers a true comparison and provide the urgency to "act now". And it provides for dealers to make a good case to consumers to also act now and to say 'I told you so'.. like we saw some dealer in this forum saying a few days ago..

The April incentives have expired, and May incentives will likely be available after the 15th of the month, for the Memorial Day sales push. No matter how you look at it, begining of the month is really not the best time to buy a car. A better time is between the 20th and 25th of the month, when dealers are still hopeful to make their sales quota and are pushing hard to make sales.

I am not sure what is the sales tax in your state but still $17,800 OTD is good price for today (no extra incentive). In April the best deals for Civic Sedan LX automatic were between $16K and $16.5K OTD with 5% sales tax. If you are not in a bind to buy today, you may want to consider waiting for the Memorial Day sale.
  • mllewellynmllewellyn Member Posts: 25
    Thank you guys for the info.
    If any of you find information on any new incentives and rebates for the civics in May, can you let me know. I appreciate it a lot.
    I will wait and hope the prices go down in a few weeks.
    Thanks
    Hey guys, I have another question.
    When you figure out tax on the car, (here in Florida is 6%), do you take it the percentage of the base price of the car of with every cost included such as dealer fee, tag/title, doc fees, etc?

For example:
    Base price of civic times tax:
    $16,623 x .06 = $997.38 which is the tax
    then add all other fees.

or

Base price of civic plus dealer fee plus tag/title, doc fees:
    $16,623 + $450 + $200 + $250 = $17,523
    then add tax:
    $17,523 x .06 = $1,051.38

Im not sure which goes first.
    Thanks

Im not sure if you do the tax in the beginning or the end
  • crazyflycrazyfly Member Posts: 61
    The tax is on the purchase price of the car. Any dealer fee (example: doc fee), or title fee is added on later. If you are setting up an XL worksheet to calculate the OTD price based on prices you have received for a Civic LX sedan automatic, you can start off with something like this:

Invoice Price...........: $ 16,818 .... for reference only

MSRP...................: $18,255
    + Destination........: + 670
    -------------------------------------------
    Sticker Price..........: $18,925

- Discount.............: $3,500 ...... total discount including any dealer incentives negotiated by buyer
    - Trade-In..............: $ 0 ........... enter the value of the vehicle you are trading in (if applicable)
    Purchase Price......: $15,425

+ Sales Tax (6%)..: + 926
    + Document fee....: + 50
    + Tag & Title........: + 100
    OTD Price............. : $16,501

The OTD price here is what the Civic LX sedan auto was selling for in late April. Invoice price, MSRP and destination are $ figures determined by Honda. Sales Tax % and Title & Title fee are determined by the motor registration dept and will stay fixed. Doc fee is a dealer add-on fee and is negotiable. I have seen dealers pad the sale price by adding hundreds in dealer fees. The 'discount' and 'trade-in' value depends on what you negotiate with the dealer.

I have the file setup in a way that when I key in the price discount ($3500 in example above) everything else automatically updates. This is just a basic XL calculation I created years ago but it has helped me compare deals in buying several vehicles over the years. I hope this helps you. You can make any change to this format that makes it work better for you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    In most states, document fees are taxed, as they aren't really fees, but just an additional payment for the vehicle (most states, not all).

True government fees aren't usually taxed. (title, registration, tire tax, etc.).

Otherwise, it wouldn't be long before dealers would sell you the car for $1 with a $15,000 doc fee.. :surprise: (Florida dealers would be first in line..)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• heatjayheatjay Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know how much the price of a 2009 LX/LX-S in MA is?
  • bostonbenbostonben Member Posts: 71
    At the end of April with incentives I was quoted around $15.5K for the LX in the Boston area.
  • smadnysmadny Member Posts: 7
    Why Can't I get a quote like that? The best I got for an 2009 LX is a quote 16250 (w/destination charge) Do you still bargain with dealers on the day of the purchase? to knock the price down? What are the secrets of some of you?

Thanks!

-Mark
    Depends on the time of month. The 15.5 price was at the end of last month. Could also depend on location (not sure where you are). Boston is a very competitive market with some of the top Honda dealers in sales in the country (most famously, Boch).
  • boston84boston84 Member Posts: 10
    Curios bostonben, did you end up buying from Boch? Did 15.5 include doc fee?
  • jukordsjukords Member Posts: 14
    Hi everyone,

It is my first time to buy a car and this is my first post to the forum.

I am planning to buy 09 Civic LX auto and already contacted several dealers here in Maryland tru internet.

Best BASE quote I have so far is $15660 from Honda Pohanka.

I Just want to ask..

Do dealers change and increase base cost/offers if you have not so good credit rating or will they just give you higher APR?

Please help..

:confuse:
    Hi mmcm,

Just curious on what dealership you got coz I am also residing here in MD.

I am planning to buy Civic LX Auto.

Can you share the OTD and breakdown of the fees they charged?

Thanks
    Well, if you go into a dealer and negotiate telling them you need financing, you can get jerked around. Always negotiate (preferably via email so you have it in writing) as if you're going to come in that day and pay cash. Then worry about financing. Check with your local bank/credit union to see if you can be pre-approved for some financing (might not be as easy if you have bad credit). If you're a recent college grad, most mfgs have financing programs that specifically apply. Hope that helps.
    Hey guys,
    Does anybody know if Honda is going to offer some incentives later in the month?
    I have seen really high rebates and cash back for other's such as Toyotas and Mazdas but nothing for Honda.
    Also, does anyone know if there will be a huge sale for Memorial Day Weekend?
    Thanks
  • pdrbruinpdrbruin Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am looking for an 09 civic coupe ex. The lowest quote I'm getting is $17870 (including destination) but not including the T,T,&L, this is after multiple dealership contacts. Is this a good deal for now, or should I wait until the end of the month? In California the Vehicle License fee is almost doubling next week, so I do not know will the savings be enough to offset the license fee, if I wait?
  • wolfensteinwolfenstein Member Posts: 11
    If this is an automatic, then it sounds like a pretty good deal. I paid $17287 (includes dest.) for an 09 4dr Civic sedan AT one month ago in NC. I believe the EX coupe and 4dr are priced the same.

See message #8208 for the details.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Seems ok if taxes tag and title in your state is about $300. If closer to $1000+ getting into excellent category.

$18,000 OTD for a 2009 Civic EX (4dr, auto) no accessories....

Good deal / bad deal?
    jfritsch,
    You've been offered $18,000 for a 2009 civic EX (4dr, auto) right now?
    I think thats real good considering Honda is not offering any rebates.
    Thats just my opinion.
    What dealership did you get if from?
    Thanks for the advice bostonben.

One more thing,
    Do I really need to buy extended warranty for this car or is it very reliable not to get one? If so what coverage should I get? Any price range?

Hondas are very reliable, but an extended warranty may be a good idea if you plan on keeping the car for a long period of time or just want that protection. Do not buy the extended warranty from the dealer. There are several online dealers who sell genuine Honda warranties at significant discounts. For example: http://www.bernardiwarranty.com/ You can google for others.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    Extended Warranties are VERY rarely worth the extra cost! Consumer Reports and other consumer-advice websites say they're a waste of money and a huge source of dealer profit. Extended Warranties/Service Contracts are the highest profit margin item that most dealers sell.

If you decide to get one anyway, make sure it's one backed by the manufacturer (extends the regular warranty) and NOT from a 3rd party. The 3rd party warranties that they sell are often not worth the paper they're printed on. According to one CR report, the payout rate on 3rd warranties is less than 2% (of their total income). Often, they only cover powertrain components, too.

You minimize your chance of having mechanical troubles by choosing a car with a solid reliability record (Honda Civic is a tthe top of that list). The Honda warranty covers 3-years/36-months Bumper-To-Bumper and 5-years/60-months Powertrain.

I've owned nine Hondas (seven Hondas, two Acuras) and I've only had trouble with one of them. It was a '96 Accord, the camshaft seal failed 2k before the warranty expired, they replaced it. Then it happened again at 78k miles, because of the preivous failure, they covered it out of warranty. That was a fluke...I have a '93 Accord as a spare with 290k on the original engine (transmission replaced at 270k).

Save you money. Put $50 in a savings account instead of buying an extended warranty. In three years, you'll have $1800 plus interest. Enough to cover unlikely repairs and you get to keep the cash if nothing goes wrong! :)

You might even take a look at an '07 or '08 Certified Used Civic! They have a powertrain warranty from Honda for 7-years/100k miles from original in-service date...standard! Just a thought.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Hey guys,
    With what Honda is offering right now (not much), is $19,500 OTD for a 2009 honda civic EX 4dr automatic good or should it be lower?
    Thanks
    No. Still looking. A relative just got a lx-p 2dr with mats for $16400, and several people have posted around the mid 17's for the EX. Based my opinion on the $18000 otd # EX auto on that.

Honda has never had factory to customer rebates and probably never will. The rebate is yours regardless. How much the dealer incentive he wishes to share depends on his sales #'s in the area. Honda has always worked with dealer incentives (disclosed and undisclosed)

Good luck
    --jjf
    jfritsch,
    You've been offered $18,000 for a 2009 civic EX (4dr, auto) right now?
    I think thats real good considering Honda is not offering any rebates.
    Thats just my opinion.
    What dealership did you get if from?
    myhondawarranty.com has been selling honda factory warranties online for years (saccucci honda), as well a the one mentioned by the other guy. Regardless of what nameplate, extended warranties are only a deal if you don't get taken for them in the finance office for $2000 or so.

About $800 or so is what you want for an average sedan for a 7yr/100kmi bumper to bumper extension. (for a car with 3/36 and 6/60000 mi powertrain warranty std.

About $1200 or so for a 4wd or vehicle loaded with navi,pwr sliding doors, etc... something in the 24000 range.

Good luck
    -jim

Thanks for the advice bostonben.

One more thing,
    Do I really need to buy extended warranty for this car or is it very reliable not to get one? If so what coverage should I get? Any price range?

Thanks
  • smadnysmadny Member Posts: 7
    Did the pricing go up for the Civics in May overall? I am feeling that i am not getting any good quotes in May, i am not in a hurry to buy, but do want to get best possible deal. I would like to find out what People out there nationally are paying for the 2009 Sedan EX automatic (please include destination in your purchase price) no (OTD) Out The Door pricing since Tax Title and Licensing varies so much by the state. Thank You!
    Prices went away because end of month incentives in April went away in May.

I'm guessing there will be more incentives towards the end of the month (Memorial Day).
  • newcivicexmnnewcivicexmn Member Posts: 4
    I live in Minneapolis and would like to buy a new 2009 Civic Ex Sedan. The lowest price quote I have received from the 10 or so dealers within a 150-mile radius is about $18,450 PLUS tax and license (our tax is 6.5%).

I was thinking about offering around $18,300 for total cost of the car (including tax and license).

From reading advice here and in other places, would I be wise to wait until the weekend after this one for any memorial day sales/leverage since it will also be toward the end of the month??

One other thought from a friend of mine is that gas costs will probably continue to rise, making the Civic even more popular again....

Any advice you have about timing/price of my offer would be much appreciated! Also, if any of you have experience with this in Twin Cities, which dealer did you use?

Thanks much!
  • newbie33newbie33 Member Posts: 1
    Your post is very helpful, especially for a first time car buyer like myself. Do you mind telling me which dealer you worked with to get that deal ($17,750 OTD)? Not sure what other info I would need to negotiate with the Serramonte dealership. Thanks so much.
  • wmtnwmtn Member Posts: 2
    In the Philadelphia area here, I just got pricing for the automatic lx coupe at 16,199, up from 15,914 last month.
  • pg9pg9 Member Posts: 2
    I bought this car May 15th, and paid $18,670 OTD (living in VA with 3.2% tax). Did I pay too much??
  • pg9pg9 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2009 Automatic Civic EX coupe on May 15th, for $18,670 OTD (living in VA with 3.2% tax). Did I pay too much??
    Seeing that there is no eye-catching incentives that Honda is offering, should I wait a little while longer for some to come out?
    At the end of April was some real nice incentives and I'm hoping for something like that again. Do you guys think its too late in the month for Honda to offer anything or is there always still time?
    Thanks
  • opianoopiano Member Posts: 1
    hi, I have a dealer offer for a new EX-L 2009 for $20,132 (all taxes/fees included), but I also found an EX-L 2008 (w/nav, 22k miles) for $17,400 (all taxes and fees included). The nav is not important to me at all. I'm having a hard time deciding. the used one is far from my home (6hr drive, each way) so that makes it harder too!

I've never bought a new car in my life, always thought it wasn't worth the extra cost. I could try to negotiate the used one down a bit but we're already $600 below sticker price.

Any advice? I'm currently driving a Civic DX 91 and it's still running great, but it's time for something newer...
  • yyz4yyz4 Member Posts: 2
    I am being offered $17,417 out door price for 09 Civic Coupe LX. Is it a good deal?
    What was offered in April that was so great?

They currently have $1000 Marketing Support on Coupes, $750 on EX-up Sedans and $500 on DX/LX/LX-S Sedans. Was it higher in April?

They still have 3.9% APR for 60-months (if qualified). That has been offered since 3/18/09 and expires on 7/6/09.

The Marketing Support is in effect from 5/5/08 to 7/6/09, so I wouldn't expect it to change before 7/6/09.
    Out the door as in Tax & Tag/Title Fees, everything included? Manual or automatic transmission?

Edmunds shows the Invoice for the LX Coupe 5MT as $17,305. Subtract the $1000 Marketing Support and it's $16,305, which is close to their TMV of $16,497. Then you have to add the fees/taxes...so it sounds like it a pretty good deal to me.
  • barkley2barkley2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I was just wondering what the actual dealerships you went to and what sales person you worked with? Im considering the drive to Sacramento for that price. I had the worst experience at El Cerrito Honda. They will lie and do anything to get you there, even if it means putting a quote in writing and then telling you once your there they cant honor the price...they would be losing to much money! I was willing to negotiate but we weren't talking about a slight "misquote" they had the audacity to ask for a 1K difference!
  • yyz4yyz4 Member Posts: 2
    It is the total fees included and it is automatic. When you say "$16,305", do u just mean the price of the car? And what is the $1,000 marketing support? Is it one of the promostions? and can I deduct it from $17,417? Thank you
  • sd83srrsd83srr Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased a 2009 Civic LX over the weekend. I bargained between two dealerships here in SD. The price I got them down to was $16577 + TTL at Poway Honda. They already had the Mud Guards and Phantom Footprint on the car. I also added GAP (just in case). I financed for 3.9%. Maybe there will be more deals for those still looking to buy this weekend!
  • sd83srrsd83srr Member Posts: 7
    I forgot to mention that it is an Automatic. With everything all added up, the total financed came up to be $19167. Without the GAP, the OTD would have been 18,600.

Good Luck!
  • barkley2barkley2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Would it still be possible to get the qoute you previously received for this car. Or do you happen to remember the name of the dealer you worked with? If you could email me this info to j.mira@earthlink.net, I would really appreciate it. I'm considering the drive (I live in Marin) but really want to be sure that this is still something they can offer. Thank you!
  • kris74kris74 Member Posts: 3
    Can you please let me know the OTD for your Civic LX, was it a Sedan or Coupe? Who is the dealer?
  • venzie99venzie99 Member Posts: 8
    Paid $16,600 + tax and registration for a manual Civic EX coupe at O'Hare Honda in Chicago. That price was after the $1,000 dealer cash was subtracted, and included wheel locks and an extra set of mats. Quite happy with the deal..
  • rh_karirh_kari Member Posts: 3
    Hi, this is my first post to this forum.
    This is also my first time buying a new car.
    Could you please advise me any buying tips?
    I just went to Honda dealership to look at used cars.
    The salesmen told me if I were to buy a 2009 new Honda Civic, it will be $17200(including destination) for a sedan, and $17000 for a coupe.
    Could you please help me where I should start with this?
    I'm in NJ.
    Thank you.
  • jimishjobanjimishjoban Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am looking at used 2008 Honda Civic LX 4 dr sedan... Its pretty new and just 5k miles to it... I am getting it for 14k... Is it a good deal or should I go for a new one given the incentives involved???
  • nj_chapnj_chap Member Posts: 1
    Hi rh_kari,

I am also planning to buy Honda Civic/Accord,not decided yet. If one or more people join, we may be able to get better discount. If interested contact me thru PM.

I am in central NJ
    Hey guys,
    Is $19,000 flat OTD a good price for a 2009 Honda Civic Ex auto sedan?
    I live in Miami, Fl with a 6% sales tax.
    Thanks guys
    You could probably do better. The MSRP for the LX with automatic is $18255, and the invoice is $16818. Others in Newark for example are paying an average of $17291 with the destination but that does not include the dealer incentive that Honda is currently offering ($750 for the sedan and $1000 for the coupe). I would say that you should be paying at about $500 to $600 less than the offer you have. Go ahead to the edmunds.com home page and use the new car pricing guide to get to their TMV pricing report. Print it and take it with you to your dealer. The dealer offered you a pretty good price if there hadn't been a dealer incentive available, but again he's hoping to keep the dealer incentive for himself. So go ahead and ask for a $1000 less and let him meet you somewhere halfway, and make sure to tell him there is the dealer cash and if he won't meet your price than others will. As I posted yesterday I paid $16600 including destination for a manual EX coupe. You should be paying around that price or a bit less for the manual LX. Hope this helps.
    Ooops, I almost made a mistake. When you get the Edmunds TMV report scroll a bit further down and click on incentives. Apparently they vary by the trim and might be a bit higher for the EX than for the LX. So go ahead and build your car and make sure to enter your ZIP code, get the TMV report, and then check the incentives. The TMV report does not include the dealer cash, so whatever the TMV is subtract the available dealer cash for the LX coupe or sedan and that will be your target price.
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    Just paid $20,900 (+tax & reg) for a 2009 Civic EX-L Automatic with Navigation.Price seemed fair, as 2-3 other dealers were close and reluctantly willing to match price after some back and forth. Four other dealers would not respond with counter-offer once they saw the competition's price. The stability control, leather and nav were well worth the extra $ over the EX model.