Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• covinacovina Member Posts: 2
    Hi pcvsmac,

The internet price itself they quoted me was 17,091 and top of that they gave me $500 off for a coupon they sent me for Halloween. So the total comming down to $16,591 + Taxes.

Thanks
  • robertson4379robertson4379 Member Posts: 1
    There are a couple of things you can do to get comfortable with your price.

FIRST, just use Edmunds to get the dealer's invoice price for the car, without any of the added accessories (fog lights, tint, etc.) -- just the invoice for the Civic LX. Edmunds also has the destination charge, which apparently varies by region. So you end up with an approximation of what the dealers pay (but not really!!)

To get your best deal, just deal for the car, and then either buy the accessories after you've reached a price or buy them online (for a savings) later. Keep them out of the equation, though, because the dealer can make it very complicated for you to know what you are paying for the car vs. the accessories.

You should end up knowing that your plain vanilla Civic LX is selling for more than or less than the dealer invoice and destination fee.

Then, decide if you think that is fair. Keep in mind that the dealers don't actually PAY what their invoice says they pay. They get reimbursed later on for buying the cars, along with other deals between Honda and the dealer.

SECOND: Just call around. Tell a dealer that you are looking for the best price (DO NOT TELL THEM WHAT ANOTHER DEALER IS OFFERING). Be firm. Evenutally, they should tell you what their invoice is. If it isn't within a dollar or two of what you have found on Edmunds, tell them you are confused, because invoice should be $X. At that point, you know they are trying to pull a stunt, so be very wary about proceeding.

After three or four phone calls, you should be able to weed out the ones that don't consistently refer to the same invoice and destination fees. After that, they should all be pretty close. A Civic right now should actually move for less than invoice, because dealers need to sell cars even when the economy is crummy. Somebody out there will promise to beat everyone else's deal, so hold them to it. And don't bargain with the accessories as a part of the negotiation. Hold them out until the end, and consider buying them for less on line.

Good luck. Buying a new car is not really that much fun, but stay firm, and understand that you need to be in charge.
  • above1above1 Member Posts: 1
    Wife just got an LX-S in Lynnwood, WA.

OTD = $20,250

Price B4 TTL was like $18,230ish.

aBoVe1
  • penguin8penguin8 Member Posts: 1
    Truecar.com(http://truecar.com/index.html) has inventory/price sold for each area as reference. If it's up to date, it is a very good reference for folks who is trying to figure out what they should pay.

I just look it up, what I paid for a 2010 LX Auto ($17399 + tax + doc. fee + dmv) is on lower end. (but not the lowest) Just wonder who got it below 17K...not many though.

Good luck on your car hunting.
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    Great website - thanks!
  • sachin24ksachin24k Member Posts: 31
    Hi Covina,

Can you tell me the dealership name? I am in southern CA and looking for a car

thanks in advance
  • pcvsmacpcvsmac Member Posts: 7
    Hi there,

The dealership is Spreen Honda. I am in the market for a Civic LX and talked with him couple pages back. Let me know how's purchase goes.
    Did you guys try

http://www.realcartips.com/2009-Honda-Civic-Prices

It has price paid for civic from different places, do you think it is authentic? I plan to call some dealers to see if it is true.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Don't think this varies by region...every buyer pays the same destination charge which goes to the manufacturer, not to the individual dealership. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Doc fees vary by states but we all pay the same destination charges.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    The destination charge is the same everywhere in the lower 48 states... But, it is just part of the car, along with the base price... It makes the car look cheaper somehow, being broken out, but you pay whatever price you negotiate.... and all that money goes to your dealer..

Your dealer buys the car from the manufacturer...then, sells it to you.. All the rest is just marketing..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bigbouncerbigbouncer Member Posts: 8
    Local dealer is offering an 09 Civic EX for $18,600. (plus fees, etc.)
    Haven't negotiated at all - looking for input on how far I can/should push the price.
    Trying to buy fast - help!
    Thanks.
  • jbomsjboms Member Posts: 1
    Hi I was wondering if this is a good out the door price for the car?

$21,600

I can't seem to get them to lower the car.. initial was $21,200 but he mentioned that the car came with some pre-installed options... wheel lock, etc etc. Can those be remove to maintain the $21,200? I forgot to ask him to see if that was viable.

2010 Civic Coupe EX AT

Thanks!
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    car man, can u please help us with 3 years/30k miles lease rates and what is the best price for this car, and what others are paying.

We are debating if heavily discounted get 2010, or wait for summer 2011 releases?

Please advise?
    Thanks
  • hondabuyer10hondabuyer10 Member Posts: 1
    One can actually buy an OTD price for 2010 Honda Civic Lx for $18,400 here in MD.

We bought the car on Nov 27th. Let me know if one is interested in knowing the dealerships...

Good luck on your car hunting.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is looking to speak to a consumer who purchased on Honda because of its strong resale value (or ability to hold on to its value). Please send your daytime phone number and the car you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by Wednesday, December 2, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Can you please the break up of the cost please? like

Vehicle Price (include destination)
    Doc Fees
    Tax
    TTL
  • leadtongueleadtongue Member Posts: 13
    rocky, we bought a civic 4dr ex from vip honda memorial day weekend....19,600 otd ....financed 10,000 for 3 years at 2.9% probably could have gotten it for 200-300 less if i went through the whole haggle , wait, lets go, no plz sit down type of [non-permissible content removed] car buying dance that...well you get the picture. Anyhow i think you could prob get same type deal now...no junker program for them to raise the price and get about half of the junker credit value!
  • leadtongueleadtongue Member Posts: 13
    What is your states sales tax? here in jersey its 7% If yours is similar make an offer of 19400 otd price and dont budge!
  • snowdaysnowday Member Posts: 1
    I emailed the internet dept. at brilliance honda in crystal lake a couple of days ago. $14,999 is the quote for a new 2009 civic lx with automatic transmission. They have a bunch left in stock. They said it includes destination. Not sure. Going to check it out.
  • justin082005justin082005 Member Posts: 5
    Where are you and around what would be your OTD if you know?

I got a quote for "$15,361 plus taxes, tags and fees" from a dealer I contacted a couple months ago. I am still interested in buying a 09 civic lx but honestly still don't feel like paying that much for it (tax is 5% for me and last time he quoted me for an old price tags and fees were 830, I did tax, tags, fee he gave me minus our tax rate.

Still wanting to buy one but I can't see paying upper 16s
  • chalcodonchalcodon Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote for a new 2010 civic coupe ex for $18400 or $20400 otd. Is that a good price? I'm from Los Angeles.
    check invoice, I think, honda is pretty aggressive, I got an email, saying from $400-$1500 below invoice! Offer them at least $500 below! just heads up
  • sfmikesfmike Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2010 LX-S auto here in northern california, I paid $19,200 OTD include the protection package with wheel lock, mud guard and trunk tray, I thought I did pretty good. Well, right after I got home, check my email, another dealer just email me about special sale they have this weekend, they have 2010 CIVIC LX-S A/T $16,688.00 + TTL, unreal :surprise: :surprise: , if there is no hidden tricks from that price, I just over paid $600 :mad: :mad: dealer is Marin honda, anyone in bay area check them out to see if there is any hidden fees they add to that $16,688 price.
  • chalcodonchalcodon Member Posts: 2
    Where can I find a true invoice. I've checked at kbb, edmunds, true car, and they all have ranges from $17,919 to $18,653 to $19,565. for 2010 Civic Coupe Ex auto. Which is correct?
  • vikatanvikatan Member Posts: 3
    I am taking delivery of 2010 LX Coupe MT @ Invoice price $16,038 + Destination + Tax and Doc Fee(300$).

Not sure if this a good deal.
    Forgot to mention the dealer - VIP Honda @ N. Plainsfield.
  • mannylabdsmannylabds Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a few price offers for a Honda Civic 2009 Ex Sedan Automatic.

Most of the offers I got were from $16,000 to $16,800. I feel like I could probably get a better price though. What do you guys think?

I am paying for this car upfront with cash and no financing, so I was expecting a better deal. Is this within a reasonable price range or do you think I can get it for $15,000?
    $16K for EX sedan ? You should take it. It is a very good price. I was offered 15,800 for LX sedan
  • redredoxredredox Member Posts: 1
    How did you get your offer to go so low? Which dealership did you get your quotes from?
  • sfmikesfmike Member Posts: 2
    answer my own question, find out the Marin honda price of LX-S at $16688 did include some other fee, total OTD price is $19,300, well, looks like I got a pretty good deal. :):)
  • birdog3344birdog3344 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2007 Certified pre-owned Honda Civic Sedan with 24,000 miles. I understand that this vehicle was under recall for 2 potential problems.

1) "THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH" Failure may result in a loss of brake lights and an increased risk that the vehicle could be struck in the rear. In addition, a failed brake light switch could prevent shifting the transmission from the park position (vehicles with an automatic transmission). Dealers will replace the brake light switch and install a protective cover over the switch.

2) "O-RING SEAL" This could cause a wheel to fall off of the vehicle, possibly resulting in a crash. Honda said it will replace any damaged parts for free.

I'm confident that the problems were fixed. What I'd like to know is if these issues or the process of repairing them could make the vehicle unsafe. Also, does this effect the resale value of the car? Is it reasonable to ask for a discount on the selling price? The dealer offered a firm 'out the door' price of $14,800. I offered $14,000 firm and he wouldn't budge.

Thank you.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Recalls like that are usually a "Tempest in a teapot" and they amount to nothing.

Yes, in some rare instance, something "could" possibly happen and that is why they have to use such strong wording.

Relax, resale values won't be affected.
  • pcvsmacpcvsmac Member Posts: 7
    Need some input on this. Does the standard Security System with Remote Entry in the Civic beep when you lock/unlock you door?
    I am trying to figure out if I need a alarm install from the dealer or not.
  • mannylabdsmannylabds Member Posts: 2
    Ok the price quote I got before was misleading, since they tried to add extra fees. But most of them come close to these prices below

Here are some quotes I got recently that are legit,

Honda Civic 2010 LX: $19,300 Out the door

Honda Civic 2010 LX-S: $20,000 Out the door

These prices seem good to me, but I'm trying to get the LX-S for $19,300 like I saw someone here had before. Is there anyone in the NYC area that has bought a 2010 that thinks this is possible?
    On my 09 Civix EX-L you have to press "lock" button twice on your key FOB - then you hear a beep and that is when the alarm is activated.
    You can test it while sitting in the car, lock the car with key FOB and then open the door - you should hear the alarm then...
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You may get very frustrated trying to match some of the prices some people in these forums say they paid.

Also " out the door" pricing can vary by huge amounts based on local tax and license rates. Some stores charge huge doc. fees too.
  • grolbgrolb Member Posts: 1
    New 2 Miles on the Odometer Price paid 15.399 plus tax title = 16,7000 out the door - Registered Woodridge , Illinois

2009 Civic LX Auto - Had Choice of 4 colors
    Brillance Honda in Crystal Lake Il
  • kjchen69kjchen69 Member Posts: 6
    hello guys
    long time reader and first time post here, currently looking for car and hope to get some advise and suggestion from you all.
    I live in LA, CA, i am looking for a civic coupe LX 2010, 2009 no matter becase there really no different at all. I got a quote from Airport Marina Honda in LA, it shows MSRP $18915 and the E. price is $17450.00+tax & DMV fee
    is this a good deal? how much do you guys think i could try to bargain and if i plan to pay cash, how much should be my total price after all?
    this will be my first new car (not first car but first new one) so i really need some advise and help, thank you so much!
  • cutecanadian02cutecanadian02 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a new Honda Civic with leather and navigation. As this is my first NEW car purchase I have no idea where to start on the negotiating price. I see that Edmunds lists invoice at $22,619 including the destination charge. Is that where I should start? I know that first trip to the dealership they said that they could get me out the door in the car for just under $26k. I looked up fees on California's DMV page and if I were to pay 23k for the car the tax and registration comes to 2,362.00 so it seems like they are only about $1000 over the invoice and fees to me. This somehow doesn't seem right because this price is before any haggling whatsoever. Please help. I really have no idea what I'm doing here.
    We bought a civic si with summer tires, for $900 under invoice. Car with navigation was offered to us for $1000 under plus $200 worth accessories etc.

just hang in there.
    When I buy a new car I always negotiate the price over the internet. Most (if not all) dealerships have internet sales managers.

Typically, you can negotiate price back and forth through emails in the comfort of your home, having ample time to research the price on Edmunds. On high demand cars, you can start at the "invoice" and settle on $ 200 or 300 over the invoice. But, as 'zoran" mentioned, you can go even lower, especially if you have the dealer finance the car loan (they make some money on that too). Make sure you are looking at "invoice" and not M.S.R.P.

You have to insist that you will not go there until the price is agreed over the internet - in writings! Negotiate with at least 3 dealers in your area. Make sure you compare "apples with apples"; i.e. same color and options installed. Make sure that you have VIN numbers on cars that you've agreed to buy at agreed price so that you are not a victim of a "bite and switch" game.

Once you find the car that you like (on dealer's lot - color and options installed) get the VIN number, compare with prices on Edmunds (using the color and options) (or what "others" pay) - that is before taxes, registration and documents fee (find what that is) - those 3 you cannot negotiate.

Happy hunting!
  • civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    Start by emailing several dealerships. The more, the better. Determine how far you're willing to drive and email every dealership within that radius. You will eventually negotiate with the two or three who give the lowest quotes.

When I buy, I do all of my negotiating via email. I generally weed out dealerships by price (if their quote is too high) and by how they respond to my requests. For example, some dealerships will not provide a quote via email and will pressure you to visit the dealership in person. The last time I bought, I probably emailed 10 dealerships. Only ONE (yes, one) honored my two primary requests: 1) Provide a detailed out-the-door price via email; and 2) Do not call me until I request it. (I ended up purchasing from that dealership even though they were actually a couple hundred over my lowest quote.)

Don't just take the lowest quote and go make a purchase. You should still negotiate. Put two or three dealerships against each other. You can also negotiate "extras." This is the big surprise new buyers don't always anticipate. The dealer will add "extras" such as tint, pin striping, mud guards, etc. These items are over-priced and are designed to increase the profit for the dealer. When I bought a couple of years ago, I specifically requested that no extras be put on the car because I didn't want to pay for them. The dealership told me they would honor my request. However, the reality was that they automatically install all that stuff on every car they receive. Bottom line: They tried to charge me for it. I stood my ground and ended up getting the add-ons for free.

I know that's a lot to digest... Just don't be in too much of a hurry, and you'll be fine. Good luck!
  • kevin08kevin08 Member Posts: 6
    Spreen Honda has provided the price of 16895, plus 500 discount for Xmas expired 4pm of Dec. 24th.
  • civic_gal10civic_gal10 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased my 2010 Civic Sedan EX-L Automatic. I requested quotes online from local dealers and asked to have all fees included so I would know what the final price would be. I finally picked the dealer that I thought had the best price. Here's the info and hope it helps:
    MSRP: $22,515.00
    Invoice: $20,985.30
    $20,235.30 sale price
    1,876.85 sales tax(9.25%)
    326.75 lic./gov. fees
    55.00 doc. fee
    $22,493.90 total cost.
    When I visited the dealer, it was a breeze. There were no changes in the pricing and I was able to leave with my purchase about 2 hours later. I also was able to use the 1.9% financing for 60 months. The car is beautiful and I love it!! :shades:
    You've a good deal! Congratulations!
    What's the dealers name and location?
  • pennrenopennreno Member Posts: 2
    hello guys long time reader... I am great fan of this forum... i need help from all of you guys.... i am living in oklahoma... i am getting 2010 Honda Civic LX AUTO from local dealer at 17000 OTD + Title & Registration extra.... should i go ahead and get that deal...?... just to inform sales tax is 8.38% here...
  • civic_gal10civic_gal10 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer's name is Walnut Creek Honda located in Walnut Creek, CA.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    If the OTD includes taxes that's a good deal, here that model can be had for $16,499 before TT&L.
  • pennrenopennreno Member Posts: 2
    that includes sales tax.... but here we have to pay 3.25% excise tax on car..... i have to pay that extra.... so yeah 17000 includes 8.38% sales tax+dealer doc fee..
  • sagard79sagard79 Member Posts: 2
    I am new this this forum. I need help from you all.
    I have a offer on 2010 Honda Civic LX auto Sedan of $15999 + tax +tag+freight+processing = app $17600

Proc Fee $299
    Freight $710
    Dealer installed accessories if applicable $495 (I think this is not req for LX)
    State Taxes 3.17% VA
    State Tags $66.50 Tags

Please let me know if this is good offer. Please also let me know if the tax is also applied to tag+freight+processing. I would like to go for Honda financing. Does dealer charge extra for loan processing.

I will be thankful for any input.

Thanks,
    Sagar