Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dacong2010dacong2010 Member Posts: 7
    Hey guys,
    I got a quote for civic sedan ex auto OTD price as 19150 at 8.75% tax. Is that a good deal? Thanks.
  • nitehawk1nitehawk1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks again, I contacted the dealer and I am waiting for a quote from them
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    edited July 2010
    Proud new owner of a new Civic EX 4-Door Auto Sedan. $16.967 and this price includes Fog Lights, Chrome Exhaust Tip, Window Guards, and Mud Flaps, all of which are installed by the dealer. Had to add tax, tags and $399 Processing Fee for an OTD price of $17,900. Dealer located in Northern Virginia. Took the $1,000 incentive as I paid all cash for the car. I think I did well, what do you think? :)
  • jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    Hahahaha that is an awesome price plus about $930 to complete the OTD price? Taxes alone where I live would have been $1700. Good job!!! You got a steal my friend. Enoy!!!
  • cwalk1cwalk1 Member Posts: 13
    Hi again,

Can anyone vouch for this? Will the certified dealer actually honor this?

Other dealers are saying that this particular dealer, the best priced one on truecar, won't really have the car and the prices will change once I get there.

Can someone also tell me how to best get the internet sales managers to pitch against eachother. I am having a hard time getting them down to their best price.

I'm in eastern NC and going to buy the weekend of 8/30.

Thanks again,
    Conny
  • arrasarras Member Posts: 4
    First, be certain to get their Out the Door price (tax, tag, title, destination fees, dealer added options, plus price of the car). Don't let them chat about invoice pricing or anything like that. Get their out the door price or in other words how much you get your certified check made out for.

That's my best advice for getting the sold called "best price."

Cheers!
  • cwalk1cwalk1 Member Posts: 13
    Thank you.
    I forgot to say 19150 is the OTD price for EX auto sedan. Is that a good deal? I am at southern Cali
    I just got an OTD deal on an Civic EX with dealer option wheel locks and mud flaps for $18,889.90. I had a range of dealers competing for my business. They ranged in OTD prices of $18,700 - $19,190 here in NC. I ultimately decided to go with the dealer that had an extended warranty/maintenance package thrown in.

Your price seems more than fair since I suppose CA taxes are likely higher.

Cheers!
  • jeff71jeff71 Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2010
    Got a question. When you guys post prices paid, are you trading in a car at the same time? Is it possible that dealers are willing to sell you the new car at a very attractive price because they are making a couple of grand on your trade-in? I am curious because we do not have a trade-in and wonder if it will affect our ability to get the same price level. I know time will tell.

When I go to buy a car I always come away shaking my head. Selling cars is a lousy business.
    I did not do a trade in. I get more for my old vehicle by selling it on craigslist than the dealer will ever give me.

In my past experience, the more they give for your trade-in, the more they jack up the price of the new car. If they lower the price of the new car, the lower the amount they give for the trade in.

If you have a trade in, my best advice is to negotiate your price of the new car before you even mention that you have a trade in. If they offer a trade in value you can live with, then seal the deal. But nail them down on the price of the new car before you EVER mention you have a trade.

Cheers!
  • ruthie2ruthie2 Member Posts: 15
    I nailed down the honda price first, then got the low financing deal, then said
    "Now give a trade in price", I got 2K off retail + 1.9% 60 month loan, and a great offer for my 8 year old Corolla! I bought a 2010 Honda Civic EX Sedan automatic, last April.
  • jeff71jeff71 Member Posts: 11
    Dealers are begging for used car trade-ins to sell right now. The only thing we saw on lots were 2 year old ex-rental cars with 40k miles of hard use.
  • tphan1tphan1 Member Posts: 4
    i got offer for civic LX auto coupe 2010 at 17, 242 OTD . i live in texas ..is that a good price?
    Wow, you got a good deal!!!
    19150 is the best deal I can find, our tax is 8.75%. it seems dealers at San Diego all offer a higher price for new car....When I asked some dealers whether they can give a better offer than 19150 for EX auto 4 doors, they even asked me is that an EX not a LX? ridiculous..
    I guess I will get this 19150 one.
  • bigtcbigtc Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2010
    dacong2010,

I used one of San Diego's zip codes on Overstock.com and came up with a price offered of $17,950 for a 2010 4 Dr EX Auto from a dealer.
  • logicalshopperlogicalshopper Member Posts: 2
    Today, I purchased a 2010 LX sedan with automatic. Started out with 8 dealers that I contacted through Edmunds, asking for their quote. I requested they include their out-the-door price - including a breakdown (car w/destination, fees, and taxes) so I could compare apples-to-apples. I received 7 replies (all went to the spam folder and I had to dig them out). One of the biggest dealers never replied,

This is the one I took, purchasing today:

Car w.destination - 15,566.08 (car w/destination)
    Doc Fees - 250 (set by the DMV in Ohio)
    Title/Plates 44.50
    Taxes 1,107.13 (7%)
    Out-the-Door 16,967.71

I think I got a fantastic deal due to the summer clearance.
    Hey bigtc, thank you, I also saw this one. But the quote I got was even better than this one, since we have 8.75% tax that's like $1570. But I asked that dealer yesterday, they told me it's 19999 OTD.... That sucks!!!! I don't know whether I can trust them anymore....
  • darballman1darballman1 Member Posts: 55
    What is the MAIN price, including dest. BEFORE tax, lic. and dealer doc fees ? Again to repeat what many posters have mentioned in the past, OTD prices are of little value because of the different taxes levied in different states and the variety of fees tacked on by various dealers.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    I just bought a Black Crystal Pearl Civic EX 4-Door Automatic Sedan for $16.967 and this price included Freight, Fog Lights, Chrome Exhaust Tip, Window Guards, and Mud Flaps, all of which are installed by the dealer. This was before Tax, Tags and Dealer Processing of $399 which the dealer wouldn't budge on.

I did have a trade, however, like someone else mentioned, I had already worked out the deal for the new Civic BEFORE presenting my trade. When the dealer first asked me about a trade, I told him that we were keeping all of our cars, then once the price of the new car was negotiated, I told him that I decided to trade in my other car. That way, it keeps the two transactions separate. Otherwise, you'll never know what the true value of each transaction really is.
    Can you tell me you got this quote from which dealer? Thank you!
  • scottmchiscottmchi Member Posts: 2
    I see some really good prices that people have got for the LX here. I'm set on the LX Automatic Sedan and have been getting less than ideal pricing. I'm in the Chicago market, and of the 8 or so dealers I've gotten online prices from, the trend from about 4 deals with the best price is:

$17,200 including Destination ($750, so $16450 Base) AND the .9% APR deal. So no $1000 off deal.

What is a realistic price to shoot for? I'm thinking about waiting until next month and September to see if there are any better deals as the .9% apr incentive expires in September. But I would like to make offers with a price I can live with and hope to get lucky.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    You can't combing the cheap loan rate and the dealer cash - you have to choose one or the other. If you choose the cheap rate then you will be paying $1k or more that many of the price you see posted. Seems like $15,600-$16,000 for an LX sedan w/Auto including destination is a good price if you let the dealer keep the $1k incentive. So your price is not that much higher considering that you want to do the cheap finance. Sure, there should be room to get them lower - but you will have to add $1k to the prices some are posting here...
  • benelibeneli Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    HI, I am in West MA market, and I got an offer for Civic LX-S 4d/auto, $16340 including destination, but can not choose the Honda low financing .9%APR. Another dealer offered $17106 including destination and free lifetime warranty, also can not choose the low financing.

It is my first time to buy a new car, it will be very appreciated if anyone can give some suggestions. I am wondering which offer is better? Or neither of them are fair price? What is the reasonable price for a Civic LX-S 4d/auto?

Thanks
  • mt616mt616 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all, wanted to know what your thought were about this deal in NYC:

2010 Civic Ex-L w/Navigation Black = $20,948 + Dest + tax (8.75%)
    OTD: $23,992

The dealer started with $23,000 and got him down to this. Thoughts???
    Edmunds shows invoice as $18,216 including destination for the LX-S w/auto. Getting the car for $16,340 including destination is nearly $2k under invoice - assuming the dealer does not tack on high dealer doc or prep fees.

I have no idea what "free lifetime warranty" means on the 2nd quote.

Get the first dealer to give you an out the door price with a break down of the numbers. If nothing fishy, then it sounds like a deal to me. Ask for a price that would be good WITH the 0.9 rate if you choose that - it should be $1k plus taxes more.

Check with your bank and credit union to see what rate they will give you on the loan. Compare your costs at that rate VS paying $1k more (plus taxes on the $1k) and taking the 0.9% rate. You may find your payments will be LESS if you pay the extra and take the cheap rate.
    Hi, Thank you very much for your reply.

I just attached some advertising about the "lifetime warranty" from the dealership. I want to ask How much you think this warranty worth? Dose it worth $800 more, which is the difference between my 1st quote(16340) and 2nd quote (17106). I have no sense about the price for warranty.

What's covered under the Lifetime Warranty?
    The components covered are exactly the same as the manufacturer's Powertrain Warranty plus any additional coverage that is listed on the Lifetime Warranty Certificate provided when you buy a qualifying vehicle.

How long is the Lifetime Warranty really good for?
    The Lifetime Warranty is valid for as long as you own the vehicle - for an unlimited time, unlimited miles.

Where am I covered by the Lifetime Warranty?
    The Lifetime Warranty is good at any licensed repair shop in the United States or Canada.
    Sounds like the typical 3rd party warranty to me. You should not need an extended warranty (it is a Honda), but if you do you can always get a HondaCare extended warranty later via a discount online dealer. It is factory backed, so no worries about the company going out of business or a Honda dealer not working on your car.

The the details on an out the door price from the first dealer and see how that looks.
  • legacy87legacy87 Member Posts: 10
    I bought the new car today and here is the breakdown of the price:

Car (w/ Destination) = $15727
    Doc/other fees = $373
    Tax/Title & Registration = $1101.67

Total Out the Door Price: 17101.67

Did I get an ok deal?
    You did great comparing to the price I got so far in MA.
    I think this is a pretty decent deal. My LX Sedan ( if I didn't buy the coupe ) would have been $15197 but the sales tax here is 9.75 so my OTD price would have been about the same as yours even though your price for the car was $500 MORE.
    Gosh darn sales tax. Enjoy your new ride!!!
  • logicalshopperlogicalshopper Member Posts: 2
    I think you got a good price. It is hard to compare prices with other purchases from different month - the other month might have had a different dealer incentive. There were a few deals on here from the end of June that were fantastic, and I was afraid I would not get a deal quite as sweet in July. It appears the incentives are similar this month, but with the the 2010 model year production ended - there are less Civics on the lots as well.

I would be very happy with your purchase price.
    Looks good to me. My son's LX sedan w/auto was $15,999 + doc fee last month, so you did $272 better :D .

Pricing is all about timing and location, someone will always post a better price but for buying now and where you live it is probably a good price - so don't worry if you see some lower numbers - you got a new Honda well under invoice!
  • scottmchiscottmchi Member Posts: 2
    Is this with the $1000 discount or the .9 % apr?
  • yve_veyve_ve Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    I got a quote for a Honda civic Sedan 2010 Ex-L with Navi for 20,695. What do you think? Should I wait till maybe october to get a better deal?
  • jenuwin01jenuwin01 Member Posts: 1
    Does this offer seem too good to be true? I emailed the dealer to make sure it was for the car I was looking for... haha
    the lowest I am able to go so far is 20500, and this isn't OTD. What do you think?
    This sounds like a pretty sweet deal, I would check it out. If it meets all your criteria, take it and run!
  • rl newbierl newbie Member Posts: 17
    Seems like a good deal. What dealer in NY did you use?
    Email me at anteaterbryan@gmail.com and I'll tell you.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Umm..... how bout you just tell us, here?

That's what the forums are for... to help fellow members.. Just follow the guidelines printed in orange, above...

Thanks!
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• chazjchazj Member Posts: 2
    Hey folks. I'm in the Chicago market as well and it seems like our prices are a bit higher. The best price I got here so far, out the door (including all fees and taxes), was $17577 on an LX with auto if we brought our own financing.

If I wanted the .9% financing, they would only do $18503 out the door. We have about a 7% sales tax here ($1202 of the 18503). Sounds like the 1k deal.

Full disclosure on the 18503: that includes $150 doc prep, $25 registration and $95 title fees. The license was a transfer. So the price WITH financing before all the fees and taxes (post delivery) was 17031. We took the financing option because the monthly payment on a 60 month was better than anything we could do bringing our own financing with the lower price: $315.51.
  • chazjchazj Member Posts: 2
    Ooops - didn't mention. It's a sedan (4-door).
    Dealership name: Mohawk Honda Dealership
    Schenectady, NY 12307-1289

I had $1000 cash back incentive. When I went last Monday, there was about 3 LX left (royal blue, titanium metallic, and white). I paid cash and it's $15728 with destination. Hope this helps.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Thanks!

Congrats on the new ride!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• phantom71phantom71 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me where (dealers name and contact numbers) I can get a good deal on the 2010 Honda Civic LX automatic without any add-on in the Southern California?
    I don't have any dealers, but I recommend getting a quote from at least 5-7 dealers. I would even dare to say to get a norcal quote (from livermore as they have "special" deals at the end of the month). In any case, I got a email quote for 15838 for a LX automatic from livermore. Just a couple days ago, they decrease their price to 15300's.

Before I moved to NY, I emailed 7 dealership around the region with the same norcal quote (cut out the details and contact info that they were from norcal). One NY dealer bit and said they would sell it to me $100 less just to earn my business.
    I made sure to get all the fees thru email so my 3h drive wont be a waste.

In my opinion, I got the best deals at the end of the month. In the beginning of July, no one would even budge down to 16400. I was willing to be patient and as a result, I got a pretty good deal. So my advice is to be smart, get it at the end of August because they need to meet their quota, and the 2011 model is coming out so they need to get rid of their 2010 inventory. Good luck!
    edited July 2010
    That's funny that another person posted saying Livermore in Norcal. I bought my LX auto Coupe in norcal. Livermore's price for the sedan was 15197 which included destination. No addons no BS. This was at the END of May. You should be able to get close to that price in so cal plus I think your sales tax is a whopping 1% less than Norcal. Good luck!
  • jumpman23jjumpman23j Member Posts: 2
    Are these prices out the door cost? If so than that is a really good deal.
    edited August 2010
    Yeah maybe in a state with no sales tax like Oregon. My OTD price is as follows:

LX Coupe 15150 (includes dest) 15297 if I wanted the sedan.
    tax 9.75 percent
    55 doc
    registration/tire fee/etc....
    OTD 17959 in Northern California

I bought mine at the end of May.