Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rkjindalrkjindal Member Posts: 12
    It was indeed the auto 4 door sedan. Unfortunately this price is not eligible for the 0.9% financing. I was told to add $1,000 if I wanted those special rates.
  • bseshanbseshan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information.

My present car broke down and I am desperate to buy a new car. I have Civic LX auto sedan in mind for some time. I am living in Richmond VA, I have asked at least 3 Honda dealerships in Richmond whether they can match this quote. Just me make it convincing that I mentioned my friend in Northern Virginia got the quote from the nearest dealer.

I will keep you posted whether I get the same deal.

Thanks again.
  • rebjenrebjen Member Posts: 1
    I started with a price quote of $16.9K, and called dealerships in the area until I ended up with a price of $15.9 plus $285 in fees and 6.5% tax. Total price out the door was $17,238 in Cincinnati, OH.
  • jimflys50jimflys50 Member Posts: 1
    What dealership did you go to in VA?
  • rkjindalrkjindal Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2010
    The best thing to do is go to Zag.com then click on American Express logo under buy a car. Type in zip 22180, configure the civic, fill in your information and you should see that price. Print it out and take it to your local RVA dealer.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Pohanka in Fredericksburg. They were great to work with!
  • davidr68davidr68 Member Posts: 2
    Have an quote for 2010 new Civic LX at $16,244 plus sales tax. We live in northern Indiana. Is this a good price? All rebates appear to have been included.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    Automatic or 5-Speed?
  • davidr68davidr68 Member Posts: 2
    The Civic we are looking at is automatic.
  • shopoholicshopoholic Member Posts: 3
    Logical, could you tell me what state are you in? i am in Florida. thanks
    Need to buy a car before 8.31.10 please let me know what would be the lowest OTD price - i am in south Florida...thanks in advance
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Try these guys in Hollywood...they were pretty competitive when I bought a few years ago.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• dockumardockumar Member Posts: 2
    The quote I received was as follows:
    Selling price: 18095
    State tax:1284.75
    City: 361.90
    Doc fee: 399
    Registration fee: 8
    Tire tax:5
    Title fee :4
    Postage: 1.60
    Lieu tax(no clue what this means- can anyone explain this?): 341.
    Air quality fee 1.90
    Total: 20502.
    With 0.9% financing for 5yr: 21502 or so.
    A dealer 100miles away has a quote which beats this by $350 or so- Any idea what I should be doing?
    The 2nd dealer said he would include: free oil change, lifetime windshield chip repair, free lifetime flate tire repair, free rental car for all major services and free car wash with all services: Are these a part of any dealership sales?
    In both cases, Window tinting is included.
    The 2nd dealer is also offering trunk liner, wheel opening moldings, door edge guards, pinstripes , Nitrogen tires and mudguards while the 1st promised to include all but the pinstripes.
    I am pretty confused as to whom I should be buying the car from and if the price is right- Any input would be awesome. Thanks for your time.
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    edited September 2010
    Hey all:

Just inked the deal for a 10 Civic LX Automatic in Urban Titanium.
    Following are the specifics:

MSRP 19,155
    Sales Price 16,990 (Price included tunk tray, wheel locks and door edge guards)
    Adjusted cap cost 17,598.95
    Residual of 11,684.55 (61%)
    Money factor of .00127
    Dealer Fee (BS Pocket lining fee) 425.47 (399.50 + tax)
    Floridia fees & taxes 222.83

Monthly payment = $201.48 + 13.10 tax = $214.58

36 months, 12,000 miles per year

Amount out of pocket and due at signing: ZERO (0)

Good luck to all on your deal(s)!!
    Looking for the best deal to purchase the above in south florida - what is the out the door price you were able to get? I did not get a reply to my prev. post. I am wondering if dealer fees of almost $600 are resonable. thx
  • benzserviceguybenzserviceguy Member Posts: 96
    In Floridia ... YES

I paid 399.50 for my "fee"
    Other dealers were charging berween $398 and $599...

THEY ALL DO IT, so trying to negotiate it out is useless.
    Just grind them on a better $$ of the car BEFORE any fees or ADM.
  • kp24684kp24684 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    2010 Civic LX Automatic
    $16350 + $750 dest. + 6.5% sales tax + other fees = $17700 OTD
    Bought in San Antonio TX from Fernandez Honda. Manager was an [non-permissible content removed] and Finance Associate and Manager were crooks for their general attitude and their claims about losing money on the transaction. I was not offered any financing deals, they only said a normal bank rate of 4.5%APR which I passed on.

We were offered a $2500 8yr 120kmiles $100deductible HondaCare. They lowered to $2000 and we bought it (like suckers). After reviewing this forum and getting a quote from Saccucci Honda online of $870 for the same plan with 100k miles and $0 ded, we went to return it at the dealer. They lowered it all the way to $1300, but we walked anyway. We will either buy it from Saccucci for $870 (+$100 for prev bought HondaCare) or not buy any at all. If I return HondaCare the day after I bought it, do I still have to pay the $100 fee to Saccucci for having had the coverage refunded from another dealer?
  • rustumrustum Member Posts: 100
    Hi,
    I am looking for buying Civic LX in Dallas area. Any suggestions. Am i going to miss something by not having traction control and all wheel disc brakes. Is LX-S worth the extra money over LX.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    The LX-S adds the following features to the LX:
    16" 5-spoke alloy wheels (from the '06-'08 EX models)
    Rear lip spoiler
    Chrome exhaust tip finisher
    Leather-wrapped steering wheel
    Sport black cloth interior with unique silver stitching '

For only $600 more, it makes a substantial difference in the overall look of the vehicle. Just to reinforce what a great value the LX-S upgrades are, I calculated the cost of adding the leather steering wheel cover, chrome exhaust tip, rear lip spoiler and alloy wheels (Genuine Honda parts/accessories)- $1699.71 not including installation!

All LX-S models have the Sport Black cloth interior instead of the Gray or Beige in the LX. Personally, I find the LX-S interior VERY ATTRACTIVE and much more appealing the standard-issue LX interior! Here are some of the best photos I've seen of it-
    http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/editors_notebook/0902_2009_honda_civic_4dr_- exl_navi/photo_03.html
    If you haven't sat in the LX-S and compared it to an LX, I highly recommend doing so.

4-wheel disc brakes vs. Front-disc/rear-drum setup
    From the driver's seat, the real-world performance difference is negligible and imperceptible. In high performance vehicles, drum brakes can 'fade' and stops become longer after repeated and aggressive use causes them to overheat. But in a small sedan like the Civic, drums are more than sufficient to provide reliable, safe stopping power. As a bonus, long-term maintenance and replacement costs for the rear drums will be several hundred dollars less than for rear discs!

Traction Control, Stability Control....
    Traction Control simply monitors the drive wheels (the front wheels on the Civic and 95% of other cars) for slipping or spinning during acceleration. If it senses a loss of traction, it temporarily reduces power to one or both wheels until it regains traction. I find that paying attention and using common sense when driving in slippery conditions works just as well...if I feel/hear a wheel spinning, I let off the gas pedal slightly- problem solved without the need of yet another electronic nanny to protect me from myself! :P

Stability Control (ESC) can reduce engine power and increase/decrease braking power to individual or multiple wheels to prevent loss of vehicle control. I would NEVER buy an SUV without ESC because it greatly reduces the chance of a rollover in a vehicle with a high center of gravity (top-heavy), but again I use common sense in lieu of an electronic system- I only buy cars that are inherently stable and have a low center of gravity, I reduce my speed when roads are wet and I check my tire pressure at least every few weeks...stability under control! ;)

2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    To me the stuff that would count is the audio control on the steering wheel, remote trunk release on the FOB, outside temp gauge, and one more 12v adapter. I didn't really care about the wheels or the exhaust tip. Those are just appearances not conveniences. This is why I opted for the LX and not spend the money for the options I didn't care about. Just my opinion. I love my LX.
    If they had this model available 4 years ago, I'd of jumped on it. Sat in a black LX-S at a local dealers lot & it's worth every penny! The seat fabric alone is worth the extra $. Love the spoiler & the alloys ...just looks more upscale. Thought of trading in on a new '11 LX-S, but not a prudent move financially. And with 24k on the odo, would be a very foolish move. But absolutely worth the extra dough!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jimmy007ocjimmy007oc Member Posts: 1
    Im looking Honda Civic LX 2010, in Southern Cali. can anyone give me some suggestion, OTD. Thanks
  • gbomd1gbomd1 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter moved to California (Riverside) recently and needed a car. I found Spreen Honda in Loma Linda on the internet and dealt with Jarod Stadelman. My daughter went to the dealership in June 2010 and tested different vehicles before deciding on a Civic. I ended up buying an LX for her for some $15100 (before taxes) which was some 2000 under invoice and $4000 under MSRP. No problems with the car so far (which I have never seen since I did the whole transaction by internet and phone.)
    I would recommend Mr. Stadelman and Spreen Honda based upon my experience with them. They were easy to deal with and kept to their word.
    Looking out at the back of my '06 Civic today, I noticed how it resembled the rear end of the last generation Acura TSX, not a bad thing in my opinion. I've found many low mileage models around my area for a decent price. If it weren't such a stupid move to trade my car, I'd already have one parked on my side of the garage! But the requirement of premium fuel makes this a no sale unfortunately. I really like the luxuriousness of the TSX with the power seat and all, but not a wise move financially. I know how my Civic has been taken care of & driven but even with a CPO TSX, that would be a mystery to me. And at this point, I'm not willing to go there.

Once I retire later on this fall, then I might look into it even thouigh the wife would go ballistic. But I do plan to check out what's out there. that could be fun!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• bearcrkrdbearcrkrd Member Posts: 167
    edited September 2010
    I've thought the same thing many times. What a perfect step up from a Civic that would be, if they just still made them! The current TSX doesn't speak to me at all, although I'm sure it's a fine car.
    Too bloated if you ask me also & just doesn't fit the car. The last generation was so much nicer.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• vitullvitull Member Posts: 2
    I was given a quote for 2010 new Civic EX at $16,755 plus TTL plus doc fee. Does this appear to be a good deal?
  • icipiicipi Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting 2010 dx-vp, the offer price is $14,816 (oes not include tax, title, tag, processing fees and accessories). It's actually already below TMV. My past experiences have been the opening price is always higher. So, this is something new and don't know where to start. Does anybody buy 2010 dx-vp manual recently and willing to share their purchase price?

Thanks.
    Thanks for the information. I am evaluating my options.
  • katutpikatutpi Member Posts: 1
    Looks like it is a good deal. Where are you getting it from?
  • jamtracyjamtracy Member Posts: 75
    Well for about 3 hundred more you can move up to the LX which overall is the best value. My opinion.
  • jerseyfriendjerseyfriend Member Posts: 1
    Hi, this quote $16,755 that includes destination fee looks good to me. I am also looking 2010 Honda civic EX, so may I know which dealer is giving this rate?
    I am checking various options i.e., Mazda3, Civic and Elantra. Also would like to check Sonata and Accord. Today i test drove Mazda 3. My present car is 2001 Sonata. I did not feel that much comfortable in Mazda 3. I am planning to check out Civic and Elantra before making a decision.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Go here:

http://www.edmunds.com/incentives/RebateController?step=1

and put in your ZIP and check to see what is available in your area. Also check the manufacturer's web page for deals and specials, in case Edmunds missed any. Also check the prices paid forums here for each model in case their are hidden or non-published incentives.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    You might also want to check out the Kia Forte. It is built on the same platform as the Hyundai Elantra, but it's a newer model. It also has the same 10yr/100k mile Powertrain Warranty as the Elantra.

Another option you may not know about is the 2010 Kia Optima. A redesigned version based on the 2011 Sonata will hit dealer lots in the next month or so, So they're really pushing to sell the remaining 2010 models in stock, which are actually very good cars! They currently have a $3000 rebate and dealers are discounting them as much as $3000 for a total of $6000 off sticker price. I saw a 2010 Optima EX at a local dealer with a sticker or 21,690 that they were selling for $15,600. That's a steal for a car with features including leather interior, power driver's seat, alloy wheels, fog lights and automatic climate control! Consumer Reports gives it their 'Recommended' stamp of approval also.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Nothing wrong with a Hyundai or Kia, but you had better be prepared to drive them for years to get your money out of them. Horrible, horrible resale value. Anything you save on the front end compared to a Civic you will more than lose when time comes to sell or trade it. Drive it until it falls apart, no problem, but most folks don't do that.
    edited September 2010
    Today i test drove Civil LX. It felt very good to me.Good viewing to the sides. Comfortable seating. It is not that much small compared to 2001 Sonata. Size looked perfect to me.
    Dealer quoted me $19350 + TTL. Price includes extras for Door edge guards ($300), Pin stripe ($300), Protection package ($800) and Window tint ($300). They do not have vehicles without these extras. Is Black interior preferred one? Does LX trim comes with Black interior.
    I am looking for a opinion about Accord vs Civic. Is accord going to be more car per money.Dealer quoted me $4k difference between Civic and Accord LX trims.
  • civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    WOW! What state are you in? $19,350 sounds very high to me, for an LX. My OTD for an LX was about $2k less than that... including TTL and all the add-ons. (I'm in Texas.)

As for the extra add-ons, the cars come off the truck (I'm told) without add-ons. The extras are where dealers pad their profits. For example, the $300 they're charging for the pin stripes is a huge markup over the cost to the dealer, which is well under $100. (A local body shop I know of pays $20-$35 per car for pin striping. They mark that up by about 100%. I would think dealers pay about the same amount. So you can see what their markup is!)

My suggestion would be to shop around a bit, even if you have to drive outside your immediate area to do that. Good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback. I will check with dealers and see if i can get it for around $17500 OTD. Any known issues with the jerky transmission during quick accelerations. One of my colleague told me about this issue.
    The price he quoted you is plain crazy...run from that dealership. Find another store & go through the "internet salesman" for a much better quote. This has worked for us on our last 4 purchases. And those add on fees are so bogus!! Most of those should be thrown in for free. This is a car buyers market so find the right dealer who will deal with ya & don't be taken by some of the more "shifty" dealers out there!

edited September 2010
    Thanks for the info. Today i have been to Macdavid Honda. Test drove the LX (Polished Metallic) and LX-S (white) in the morning. Dealer was willing to make a very good deal considering month/quarter end. He told me the price of $16500 + 600 (extras) + TLL for LX-S.He further told me that they have a target of selling 20 vehicles by end of the day.

Considering his eagerness, I spent some time during the day getting pre-approved financing from CU. I went there again in the evening. He quoted me LX for $17150 + TLL and LX-S for $17850 + TLL. I told him that, my range is between 16-17k on the road price. He did not negotiate anything further. Any other dealers/suggestion to get LX around 17k on the road in Dallas area.
  • scoobie3scoobie3 Member Posts: 9
    Looking at LX 2010 Sedan Auto Trans owners.. in NJ/NY/CT/PA area.. what $$ did you pay? Im willing to drive upstate (NY) or to South Jersey and points in between and aside for a good deal...recommend me a dealership!

I've already received quotes from some dealers but want to compare thanks.
    Are you able to receive quote along with the price of for extras. I have received one quote. But dealer asking me to come down to showroom to discuss the final price along with the price for extras.
  • civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    I had a good experience with the internet sales department at Rusty Wallis Honda in Dallas. Unfortunately, the salesperson I used is no longer there.

I would suggest reading back through this forum for ideas on how to achieve the best price. I've had good success with obtaining quotes and negotiating via email. Others on this forum have offered helpful insight into other purchasing techniques.
  • allawallaw Member Posts: 15
    Made a killer deal off gbomd1's recommendation (15100 on Civic LX). I was not able to get as good a deal as he did, I showed the post to some sales/managers and they thought I was stupid (crazy) or mocking it as fake (ppl can post to the internet easily). Some of the sales didn't even talk to me and send us off. Really disappointed with a few dealers in the East Bay of the SF Bay Area including, Hayward Honda, San Leandro Honda, Concord Honda. SL even said they usually charges $300-400 more than other Honda dealers around the area but STILL get lots of business (??? beware readers, claiming they sold more Hondas then others around). Worked out some numbers with Dublin Honda but they low-ball our trade-in so we left. We ended up at Oakland Honda receiving superb service, we got there almost 8pm and they took time to explain everything in detail to us. Got $15.6 (pre tax, reg.) on 2010 LX 5A Silver off a MSRP $19115 car, really happy with our time spent there, definitely will recommend that dealership. The only thing is the finance manager tried to sell us a $2740 ext. warranty (100k 10yr)which is almost 20% of the car price which we didn't take.
  • ruewr90ruewr90 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for Civic LX Auto sedan in North New Jersey. Got a couple of internet quotes around $14,700 not including any fees or taxes. Is this a good price? With destination fee, taxes, etc. I think it will come out to be around $16, 600.
    Hey man,

That beats my lowest price (contacted 7 dealers in NJ).. mind telling me which dealership and person you're using? I'm in market for same exact car - thanks, much appreciated.
  • ruewr90ruewr90 Member Posts: 2
    I got the prices from VIP Honda and Planet Honda. What prices did you get? These are prices when you pay cash. If you finance with 0.9%, then they told me that it would be $17, 600 I think.
  • billdadbilldad Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    Went to dealer in NY to lease and salesman steered me to buy a 2008, 20k mi., 4dr sedan w/o nav. Gave a price w/o tax or any other add ons of $17872. Seems like an ok price, any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Best price I got was $14,899 from Garden State Honda.. Planet Honda quoted me at "under $15,500" which is weird.. I'll try and e-mail Planet Honda again to get an actual number like you did...

I also want to pay cash, not interested in financing as it seems they slightly jack up overall price as you've noted.

If not TMI, have you looked at average destination/doc/DMV fees?? From the 1st quote I got

Destination = 750
    Doc Fees = 300
    DMV Fees = 300

Is this normal for NJ? Also, do you calculate sales tax as Price + Destination fee only?? I hear different things. Thanks a billion.