Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    I've seen cars in auto magazines from Europe (ie Focus RS, Civic Type R, Nissan Skyline) that I would like to get that are not available in the US. Blueiedgod's comment prompted the following questions.

Does anyone have any experience in importing cars from Europe and riding them in the US?

What regulations/costs are involved (shipping costs, tax, are emission devices needed on say a Civic Type R, Focus RS)?

Who do you contact (auto maker directly , a dealer in the US or Europe)?

Thanks
  • dr. scruffdr. scruff Member Posts: 2
    OK, maybe the subject on my previous post was confusing people. I don't want to replace the entire suspension linkage on my Civic. I just want some Height. In a midcentury automobile, that would entail replacing the springs. However, there aren't many respectable automobiles that use a spring / shock combo any more. So I need to put in some bigger struts.
  • tdattdat Member Posts: 27
    If you have successfully installed "OEM Style fog lights" on 01-03 Civic (like this one at ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1- &item=7950215627&category=33709)

I would like to hear from you.

I installed the kit over the weekend but, while the switch lights up, the fog lights don't. I obviously could use some help...

Thanks.
  • andyman73andyman73 Member Posts: 322
    I believe the name is MotorRex, or close to it, they are an authorized Skyline importer. They were, and still may be the only authorized dealer. They are located in the L.A. area, I think. They have been doing this for @ 5 years or more. You can get decent used Skylines starting at 25K. They will be older mid 90s models....but still is Skyline. Hope that answers at least that question. :)
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    google is your friend

http://www.motorex.net/motorex.html
  • cpersaud99cpersaud99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a question for u? I have a 99 civic lx manual, I was in the process of installing headers..from dc sports and was told that they only make headers for ex and si. so now i find out that i will have to change my cat converter to an ex and then change the exhaust system to an ex then i can change headers. Do u have any advice for me??? thanx.
  • ncampbell2002ncampbell2002 Member Posts: 163
    That sounds about right since the length of the sections of pipe are a different size from the LX to the EX. (not sure about the pipe diameter) I don't think there are any shortcuts to this one. If you really want headers on your car ur probably gonna have to go through the steps you already described yourself. If you decide you really want to go this route I would suggest just looking at an aftermarket cat-back exhaust. I have one from Greddy and love the sound of it. It is very quiet while cruising and only moderate while accelerating, there are some moderate gains from it too mainly in the mid-upper RPM range. Well good luck whatever you decide, although let me forwarn you that a brand new exhaust system with a cat is gonna cost you $$$$$$ if you want anything decent.
    I have a question for u? I have a 99 civic lx manual, I was in the process of installing headers..from dc sports and was told that they only make headers for ex and si. so now i find out that i will have to change my cat converter to an ex and then change the exhaust system to an ex then i can change headers. Do u have any advice for me??? thanx.

I haven't logged in under that name in a while now. Ever since I lost my password, and could not remember what e-mail I signed up under.

Blueiedgod=dudka

Lx does not have VTEC while EX and Si does. This is probably the main difference. The problem may not only be limited to having the headers not hook up to the existing exhaust system, but the bolt patterns on the LX head may be different from EX (VTEC) head. And this is where incompatability comes from.

Just like Ncampbell said OEM Ex exhaust is expensive, you might as well change the whole system if you are willing to spend $800 on OEM.

You have to make sure that the bolt patterns on the lx head are comparable to ex head if you are going to be buying aftermarket exhaust.

I think the biggest bang for the buck is nitrous system, though.
  • scooter71scooter71 Member Posts: 56
    I was wondering if anyone here has installed the "Honda Security System" (aka alarm) in their current generation Civic, and if so the time and hassle required.

Thank you.
    I was wondering if anyone here has installed the "Honda Security System" (aka alarm) in their current generation Civic, and if so the time and hassle required.

Thank you.

I have installed OEM Honda Security system in my 99 Civic. It was a piece of cake, it just plugs in, and you have to add some fuzes. The location required you to assume very uncomfortable positions to install it. Besides a few scraped knuckes it was easy.

Haven't bothered with the 2002, since it came with immobilizer and chip in the key.
  • currincurrin Member Posts: 2
    hi everyone, i really would appreciate any info. ive got a 93 del sol with a 12 inch sub in the trunk. problem is unless the stereo is blaring u cant tell i have it back there. id really like to keep it and get some use with it. any ideas about where to mount it inside or should i just blow it off and get smaller ones for in the car? any help is great, thank you
    Is the sub amplified? If not then buy an amp for it. You will get a lot better power out of it and you will then notice the difference. If it is amplified and you can still barely hear it then you either have a very weak sub, weak amp or something is wrong with either 2 or both. I have a system in my car with a sub in the trunk and it hits pretty hard with only a 350 watt amp. If you have any other questions email me or put it up on the board.
    hi everyone, i really would appreciate any info. ive got a 93 del sol with a 12 inch sub in the trunk. problem is unless the stereo is blaring u cant tell i have it back there. id really like to keep it and get some use with it. any ideas about where to mount it inside or should i just blow it off and get smaller ones for in the car? any help is great, thank you

I highly doubt that you have OEM sub in the del sol, since I was not aware of Honda offering a 12 inch sub package in 1993. The the question becomes very specific to your set up. Like Ncampbell said, it could be the amp, the sub, the wiring, the way it is hooked up.
    You didn't give enough details to just guess what it wrong with the set up.

Is the sub hooked up to the stereo's sub output, or just rear speakers? Is it connected to the speaker level inputs or "line in" inputs? Does your stereo offer sub out put settings that can be adjusted? What cut off frequency is used on the crossover for the sub? Is there a cross over, or just simple inline filter?

The possibilities are endless.

It is like me saying: "I have this grocery bag in the trunk, it has been there for a while and sometimes it makes noise, and it stinks to high heaven. What is the probelm?"

No one but me knows what is in the bag, and how it got there, so no one can give me a constructive answer, except to take the bag out and see what's in it, ot just toss it.
  • currincurrin Member Posts: 2
    thanks for all the input everyone that replied, sorry for not giving enough info, ive never really done this before and im trying to post this stuff at school which doesnt give me much time to think about it, now i have lots of ideas to consider so thanks!
  • jordynjordyn Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to take off the rear shelf of a 2001 civic to change the speakers?
  • nyyanks81nyyanks81 Member Posts: 5
    I notice that on HandA-accessories.com that there are 2 types of wheel locks available for the 2005 Civics, 1 for alloy wheels where lug nuts are exposed and another type for steel wheels with hubcaps.

The dealer gave me the wheel lock kit and I believe its the "hub cap" type if I compare it to the photo given on the HandA website but when I check the back of the package, it says "WHEEL LOCK, EXPOSED" P/N 08181-SF0A2AH
    I have not yet installed them yet.

I have an EX, so I have no hub caps. Can I still install those wheel locks the dealer gave me or do I specifically need the one made for alloy wheels? Are they still compatable with each other? Im confused.
  • oferofer Member Posts: 1
    These seats are the most uncomfortable I've ever been in. Are there any aftermarket easy replacements?

Thanks
    These seats are the most uncomfortable I've ever been in. Are there any aftermarket easy replacements?

Thanks

Civic is modifier's dream because of the large aftermarket support. There are seats from a number of suppliers that will fit, search and thy shall find. Most of the replacements are racign seats. But other Honda seats will fit as well. Acura Integra/RSX's parts are a direct bolt on for the most part. CRV/Element seats may fit as well , as long as the rails are modfied for height. Accord seats should fit with some fitment.
    The most coveted Honda Civic Si seats are a direct bolt on. But they are not for the overweight people, as they are molded into a rigid bucket that holds the driver in place. They are Alacantra (sp) (faux suede), which in my opinon is much better than leather.
  • tnoriotnorio Member Posts: 1
    I just installed keyless entry system for my 2001 civic which you'll need for LX, GX and HX for the security system, but not need for CX and DX. it took about one hour just plug in few things behind the aux. plug and take out one of the plug in at the fuse box to connect harness, relatively simple.I am planning to install OEM alarm next,I think it is more simple than what I just did except I need to drill hole behind steering wheele. if you have late model honda, I'll recommend http://handa-accessories.com/index.html (which I think it is a dealer) and gives pretty good discount and prompt service for parts. as well as online instructions which is pretty helpful. good luck.
    Norio
    These guys ar ebetter for the east coast

http://www.fairhondapartsforyou.com

HandA takes a week to ship to East coast, Fair honda is next day to most of the northeast.

I think http://www.hparts.com is out of business, as the website no longer works

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ is also good, but I have not dealt with them personally.
  • vtekk00vtekk00 Member Posts: 3
    lets save u sum money.install the header, and install the piping that is missing between the header and cat, very simple. i installed my own header in my civic00 wit no sweat and 98 lx w/o vtec i went to a muff shop and had them weld the cat to the header. they just installed about 2 1/2 inches of piping. if u dont feel comft doin this u can get a cheaper header(only 1)which makes it for your car or get an 800 cat back, your choice
  • vtekk00vtekk00 Member Posts: 3
    alright fellas help me out. i got a skunk2 manifold and want 2 install it in my civic 00 ex vtec, sum people say ill gain horse, others say ill lose horse, som say i only gain hp if i do a cam swap... whats the real deal? should i do it guys? wut r the pros and cons
  • 95civicex95civicex Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a 95 civic ex vtech 2 door with 136000 miles. I am just wondering what some of the best upgrades such as engine performance, suspension and what the best short shifter is. The car is 100 percent stock right. Let me know what is recommended first. Thanks
    If you want seroius engine performance, then you should go turbo. For your engine you can get a GReddy package for about $1700. However you should then consider upgrading the internals to beef up the bottom end so you don't blow up your engine from the extra boost. The best route would to just swap out the engine for a B16a or B18c1. I have an AEM V2 intake and a GReddy EVO 2 cat-back exhaust and while I noticed some gains, it didn't increase by that much. I have lowering springs on my car (Eibach Pro-Kit) and love them and would recommend to anyone. I also have a DC sports Strut tower bar and a DC sports short shift adaptor. Good upgrades all the way around. Have fun with that car. That generation you have has tons of mods available on the market.
  • sixpachsixpach Member Posts: 1
    I'm buying a '76 Honda Civic. It is in fantastic shape with only a little over 77,000 miles on it. I've been looking on line for resources for parts and other mechanical information but haven't had much luck. My primary question at this point involves the lack of air conditioning. I live in Texas and it does get hot. What I'd like to know is if it is possible to add air conditioning to one of these little guys and if so, is there a resource to beat all resources for old school Honda's?
  • andysandiegoandysandiego Member Posts: 54
    :confuse: I think highly of these forums. I can't wait for the final versions of the '06 Civics to go on sale. Have grown to love wife's '04 Civic EX auto sedan (only Exotic Wood Dash and Honda leather steering wheel cover), and am thinking of an '06 Si or a slightly modified Rallye Red LX manual coupe at some $4,000 less.

If the LX, I'd keep the steel wheels but remove the wheel covers, and put on 205/50-15 Falken Azenis tires, saving the 195s as spares for the sedan. Also would put a K&N air filter and catback pipe with just one muffler. (Actually, I bought such an exhaust system for the sedan but went too far and it was so loud as to be physically painful, so I removed it. Would use it including the chrome tip but with a less aggressive muffler.)

I live near great mountain roads and with autocross experience have learned that a lot of fun can be had with light weight, good suspension and tires - even without a lot of horsepower.

All thoughts, suggestions, and ideas would be appreciated.
  • scottjscottj Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Has anyone installed a set of these?

link title

Are they of decent quality, fit, and etc.?

Or should I just go ahead and spend the extra 100 or so and get the genuine Honda items? I appreciate any information. For a 05 civic coupe by the way. Was not sure how to put a title on the link, sorry first post :)

Thanks, Scott
  • velozveloz Member Posts: 1
    same as #170, but 2002 Civic Si sedan , speakers are screwed from the top, but how do you get access ? How can you easily take off the rear shelf/lid ??
  • flyviper69flyviper69 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 86 crx si for 800$ forom original owner. great condition and all but I feel the need to make it a tuner. The problem is that its an 86, most of the current mods are for 88 and higher. Anybody know of places were i can get some stuff? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • soldr1versoldr1ver Member Posts: 1
    THIER ARE ALOT OF THINGS YOU CAN DO WITH THESE LITTEL CARS. IT ALL DEPENDS IF YOU WANT TO TURBO IT IN THE FUTURE.IF NOT THAN HERE ARE SOME IDEAS.OF COURSE YOU KNOW ABOUT EXHAUST(400.00)AND INTAKES(259.99)YOU ALSO CAN PORT/POLISH YOUR HEAD(500.00)YOU CAN BORE AND/OR STROKE THE ENGINE(EXPENCIVE) A GOOD CAM(500.00)
    AS FOR THE SHIFTER,BBK MAKES THE BEST MOST RELIABLE SHORT SHIFTER(200.00-259.99)COMPUTER AND CHIP(200-300.00) :)

P.S.AS FOR FUEL RAILS AND INJECTORS DON'T WORRY.UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TURBO OR RUNNING ABOUT 300HP THEY WONT HELP.
    Those cars are great to do an engine swap on because they are so light. B16a will work great in there and you can find one with a tranny without much problem. Have fun with it!
  • bobkatbobkat Member Posts: 2
    I'm a Civic newbie. I haven't seen any recent DRL posts. Wife insists on them on her new (to her) 2002 EX. I purchased an after-market module (BTW the manufacturer is -HAMSAR-) and installed it with all but one connection made (the ignition sensing lead). Instructions call for either wrapping it around a spark plug lead or splicing it into a circuit that is 'live' ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. Apparently the power thru the igniter leads is insufficient for induction into the sensor, and every circuit in the underhood fusebox goes 'live' any time the key is ON, engine running or not. I need to find a circuit in the engine compartment that is 'live' only when the engine is running (anything will do - oil pressure or temp. guage leads, etc) Where, oh where, can they be found and, can I get to them without cutting into a wire bundle? The least desirable alternative is the almost impossible task of fishing it thru the firewall into the under-dash fuse box. Any help is appreciated. Thanx. :confuse:
  • andysandiegoandysandiego Member Posts: 54
    I plan to buy an '06 Si or an '06 LX manual coupe (to save about $5k) and do air intake, exahust - and what else to make it more sporty and look better without spending a fortune?

Tires I know - Falken Azenis 205-50/15 for $68. I'll save the tires that come on the car for my wife's '04 EX sedan.

Or, is the Si justified?
  • mitch87mitch87 Member Posts: 1
    I was planing on putting a s2000 engine in a civic i just was wondering would it work because i have been thinking about bit for a year now but i never knew if it would accually work
  • ckmperformanceckmperformance Member Posts: 3
    I have a 94 civic EX coupe, and I was wondering if I could swap the front end off a 99 SI onto it, I've already swapped the engine, tranny, ecu, harness, shafts, etc... but I want to put the hood, fenders, headlights, and bumper on it also,... how much modification will this take? I was told by a friend that they had the same base frames and should bolt up as long as I was doing the entire front end swap and not jsut part of it.,, I am more or less seeing if this is true, a reply would be greatly appreciated. thanks everybody!!! ckmperformance
    The concept is good Mitch, but the problem isnt the engine mounting, its the transmission. Since the S2000's tranny is mounted longtitudinally making it rear wheel drive, and it is longer. for a pic go here, there is a diagram at the bottom of the page.. the swap into your civic will be difficult for two reasons 1. if you wanted to keep it FWD you wouldn't have room for the trans due to its length. 2. if you wanted to keep the RWD concept from the S2000 you would have to run a rear transfer case and a path for a driveshaft, both will take a significant amount of modification. not to mention the cost of the engine and trans alone, i would recommend modifying B18 or a B20 with a B18 head. Either would take far less modification, and have a significant increase in power which sounds like what you are looking for... but either way you go good luck!
  • honda_boihonda_boi Member Posts: 1
    I actually have a question for you. its not really a reply to ur statement. Ok i wanted to buy a B18c for my 1998 honda civic ex. well if i bought it, what would i have to do to swap everything out. I know about all the wiring, the transmission, and the cv joints, and engine mounts. But about how hard would it be to change it out, and does it even fit?
    It is actually a fairly easy swap, i have several friends that have done it on their own,... all you need is the half shafts(cv joints), trans, motor(obviously), wiring harnes, mounts, and the ecu (any dohc v-tec ecu will work, ex b16 b18 h22). If you get the after market mounts, the swap is intirely bolt up, no mods really need to be done... you really dont need the half shafts, but they are deff stronger and worth the extra cash, if your gonna being running high revs, youll be snapping those 1.6 d series shafts in no time,... if you can drop an engine in yourself, you can do this swap yourself. and if not, where do you live, ill do it for you... haha anyway, goodluck
    I actually have a question for you. its not really a reply to ur statement. Ok i wanted to buy a B18c for my 1998 honda civic ex. well if i bought it, what would i have to do to swap everything out. I know about all the wiring, the transmission, and the cv joints, and engine mounts. But about how hard would it be to change it out, and does it even fit?

Get a Hasport (I think) kit and you will be all set. The B18 will fit in place of the B16 with no or little problems.

To the guy thinking of installing F20 in the Civic -- Good luck LEt us know how it goes. First of all, F20 block is longer. Secondly, to take advantage of the high RPM power what tranny are you planning on using? If you really want to do the swap, you woul have to convert your Civic to RWD with the complete Engine, tranny, drivetrain, ECU components. At that price you are better off buying a used S2000.
  • 96civex96civex Member Posts: 1
    i'm a noob, i have seen headers on ebay for $60, cat back kits for $100, i actually bought a aic intake from advanced ap and installed it. are these things pieces of garbage? i saw a chip for my civi for supposedly $6, there were a ton of them. do i have to pay $200+ for an intake, $400+ for a cat back. what is the difference between the cheapos and the good stuff. are the cheapos at least comparable? is my aic intake junk? if i bought a $125 cat back would it be useless? help me!!!
  • 97sol97sol Member Posts: 2
    Just installed 17" wheels with 205 size tires on my 97 Del Sol. This was more for looks than to improve cornering. I want to soften the ride. Do I change out the shocks and/or springs to achieve this effect? Any recomendations will be greatly appreciated.
  • 97sol97sol Member Posts: 2
    I want to install Fog Lights in the lower section in the front end of my 97 Del Sol. Has anyone done this? If so, what is the manufacture, make & part number of the light kit I can buy? Also, where to buy would help. Thanks for your help!
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I take it the ride quality after you made the "looks" and cornering conversion leaves a lot to be desired. It is almost a mathmatical certainty that a lower aspect ratio is compromised in poor ride quality. Since all these factors are either interrelated or affect/ effect each other in some way; the easiest and cheapest answer is to go back to stock. ( as it appears from what you wrote, that the things you have changed are the wheel and tire combination)

I do not know if you have tested for this but you have probably also lost braking capability; as reflected in it takes longer and more feet to stop (usually app 10 ft more). You are probably experiencing lower MPG. and slower 0-60 times and speeds. If you lower the vehicle, it will further degrade the ride quality.

So if you decide to keep the wheel and tire combination, most likely the stock set up while you can run it, is not designed for the higher weights, suspension travel and geometry change. So the next best thing is the spring and shock combination. However while solving the suspension performance combination, your ride quality will suffer even more in that most aftermarket springs and shocks are designed with LESS suspension travel in mind.

So if it were me, I would get the best tire using the oem size wheel, keep the stock springs, struts and shocks. When needed, swap out the stock struts and shocks with an adjustable "like"( there is a plethora of aftermarket products available) Koni Yellows (550-650 dollars) or Koni Reds (400-450)
  • rushbuster70rushbuster70 Member Posts: 1
    i'm new here.i have a 95 ex that i'm trying to do some mods on.i want to put a cd player in but i need to figure out how to put the gauges mod in.i have the gauges in and the color thing so that they turn from blue to green.but i'm not sure what goes with those wires and how to make it so that they glow at night.any help here would be great because i cant find any instructions on how to do it myself.
    The new CIvic LX coming in 06 will probably give you more horsepower still as it will come with about 140 standard. An intake and exhaust will not give you 25 horse to bump it to the new standard horsepower. The new SI will have 200 horse and a 6 speed. It will also have a more agressive suspension. Sounds like a winner to me espeically since you live in an area where spirited driving is available. Good luck!
  • trickman2000sitrickman2000si Member Posts: 1
    I want to run dual cat back exhaust on my 2000 Si. Does anyone know who makes a reliable system and where to get one?
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    Has anyone changed out their wheels? I have an 05 Civic VP. It has the fifteen inch wheels. I want to put 17's with low profile tires. The dealer tells me this voids the warranty on the suspension and the transmission. Have any of you experienced problems with either? How does it change the handling of the car?
    Dual exhausts are not the most ideal setup for these engines. I don't know of any manufacturer that makes one for the Civic. I would really recommend a single cat-back exhaust. GReddy makes a good exhaust, Magnaflow, Apexi, and Thermal are all good systems too.
    I changed my wheels to 17 x 7 on my 2003 Civic EX coupe. The ride quality did not decrease by that much, but the handling increased 100% with the new set of wheels and tires. I went with the Toyo Proxes 4, 205-40-ZR17 as my tires. Good tire for rain and dry pavement, bad tire for snow. I don't know about it voiding the warranty. I have 45,000 miles on my car and currently have no suspension or transmission issues. I can't imagine them affecting these components because they actually are about the same height and weight as OEM. I don't care about the warranty anyhow cauze my car is out of warranty. :(
    i'm new here.i have a 95 ex that i'm trying to do some mods on.i want to put a cd player in but i need to figure out how to put the gauges mod in.i have the gauges in and the color thing so that they turn from blue to green.but i'm not sure what goes with those wires and how to make it so that they glow at night.any help here would be great because i cant find any instructions on how to do it myself.

You would have to identify the sidemarker or dash lights fuse in the fuse box, get "add a Circuit" from auto parts store. This will give you another fuse and a lead to connect the positive lead from the gauges. Connect the negative to the chassis. This way when you turn on your sidemarkers or the headlights, the gauges will come on.
This discussion has been closed.