Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• curt4curt4 Member Posts: 2
    will a b16a engine fit into a 2000 ex (us) or a can (si) witch ever you do same car will it fit or do you have to change the motor mounts let me know thanks
  • curt4curt4 Member Posts: 2
    also is there a book or cd for the layout of my car from nut to bolt rebuild curt
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    also is there a book or cd for the layout of my car from nut to bolt rebuild curt

The Halms manual is the same one that dealers use.

Helm Inc
    will a b16a engine fit into a 2000 ex (us) or a can (si) witch ever you do same car will it fit or do you have to change the motor mounts let me know thanks

Yeap it will fit, but you are better off just buying a 2000 Civic Si/SiR as it has different tranny and better suspension than stock 2000 EX/Si (US/Canada)

If you are going to do the engine swap, the B18 from Integra is probably better bolt on, or H22 from prelude (more involved).
  • inkslaveinkslave Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend recently got a 95 del sol - stock. This past weekend we were at a VW show in PA and picked up a set of 17" Motor Sport Wheels. He said they were on a GTI and before that, a civic. The 4 lug pattern seems to be spread out further than her del sol. My question is this: are ther two different 4 lug patterns?
    My girlfriend recently got a 95 del sol - stock. This past weekend we were at a VW show in PA and picked up a set of 17" Motor Sport Wheels. He said they were on a GTI and before that, a civic. The 4 lug pattern seems to be spread out further than her del sol. My question is this: are ther two different 4 lug patterns?
    I believe all Civics, except 2004-2005 Si are 4x100.
  • ykt24ykt24 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1997 4 door Honda Civic with a 1.5L engine. I am really not sure but I think it is a B 15 engine. I Would like to know what I can do or how I can add more power (hp and torque) with my existing engine (basic to advanced modifications)?
    I own a 1997 4 door Honda Civic with a 1.5L engine. I am really not sure but I think it is a B 15 engine. I Would like to know what I can do or how I can add more power (hp and torque) with my existing engine (basic to advanced modifications)?

If you are in US, the '97 should have 1.6 liter, and depending on the trim it may be a D16. I am pretty sure B16's were reserved for 1999-2000 Civic Si only.

If you have manual you can start adding more power, however if you have auto, any add-on's will be lost in the slush box.

Nitrous - $600 - cheap way to add 10 seconds of high power
    Supercharge - $1500 and up decent way to add continuous power
    Turbo - $3000 and up -- great way to add power.
  • civict21lcivict21l Member Posts: 2
    u can go to a junk yard find a model like urs with the ac that all the parts like the compresser hoses condenser and brackets it has a medium level installment but should cost u like a total of 500 dollars oh u also need the belts
  • civict21lcivict21l Member Posts: 2
    if u want u can actully find a sohc v tec motor for about 500 with the trans the motor will drop in u willl need the ecu from the ex u can use ur stock harness but ur gonna have to run the vtec wire from the ecu to the motor urself
  • rowaxerowaxe Member Posts: 12
    I'm a car audio newb. I have almost no knowledge here. My dingus borther in law ripped the audio system out of the 85 CRX he gave me without trying to be neat about it. I have to figure out how to make the new one work. i connected all the like colored wires for the power (I know about the speaker wires already). When i turn the key, I can make the clock turn on, but none of the other systems. What can i do to find the problem. What do i need to know?
  • keycardkeycard Member Posts: 26
    Just got a Honda Civic EX 2005--any sugggestions on wheel locks? Pros and cons based on experience...And brand perference..

Thanks!
    KC
    Just got a Honda Civic EX 2005--any sugggestions on wheel locks? Pros and cons based on experience...And brand perference..

Thanks!
    KC

Honda branded ones are made by McGuard if I am not mistaken. They work fine. You can get them from the site sponsor at a discount or from your dealer. If you bring the print out from HandA, they will likley to match the price.
  • dteskadteska Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone installed a hood liner in the engine compartment of a Civic in order to reduce engine noise? I have started looking into installing one from either Dynamat or Fatmat. These are my concerns:

1. In addition to sound insulation, the hood liner offered by Dynamat has a reflective coating that reflects heat back to the engine. Won't this put stress on the engine especially in hot weather while sitting at stop lights?

2. The hood liner from Fatmat is advertised to absorb engine heat which answers my concern about the Dynamat liner. However, I have read on other forums that some people have experienced problems with Fatmat products coming unglued, especially when applied to surfaces where it hangs upside down (like in an engine compartment).

Does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?
  • playplay Member Posts: 38
    We have a 2005 Honda Civic VP (Value Package) at work and it needs a cruise control as it is driven alot on the Interstate. Does anyone know of good aftermarket units? Should I take it to Honda (gulp)? Any advice is appreciated.
    We have a 2005 Honda Civic VP (Value Package) at work and it needs a cruise control as it is driven alot on the Interstate. Does anyone know of good aftermarket units? Should I take it to Honda (gulp)? Any advice is appreciated.

Try JC Whitney They sell aftermarket Cruise controls. You may as well try Honda and see what their price is, and whether it is possible to retrofit Honda OEM cruise.
  • civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    I will be replacing the stock CD stereo in my '05 Civic EX sedan with a new Clarion stereo with Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Sound. I love symphony music, and want the car to sound like a concert hall. I am looking for recommendations on replacing the front speakers. The Clarion CD stereo has 53 watts of power per channel, and I do not plan to get a power amplifier. I am more interested in full, rich sound vs. loud pounding noise. Any suggestions?
  • rondorondo Member Posts: 1
    Am buying 2005 Civic Hybrid and want to get tires that will produce the smoothest possible ride over the cracks, seams, bumps and dips of worn city streets (and short distances on well-worn freeway). Am willing to sacrifice some gas mileage and wasn't going to be doing much high speed cornering, etc...But will need good traction in lots of wet weather.

Should I be changing size? [stock is 185/70R14]
    Any suggestion for brands or specific tires? [Anyone have experience with Goodyear's Assurance Comfortred?
  • 442fool442fool Member Posts: 9
    It might be impossible to get the sound you are after without an amplifier. The 53 watts on that deck is rated different than good separate amps are. I have an Alpine deck that is rated at 50 watts but it is only 8 watts RMS. If you are going to go that root look for efficient rated speakers like Boston Acoustics, not ones such as Polks that need a lot of power. Look for ones that can be powered by say 10-50 watts RMS. The Boston's usually have nice high end for the money as well. I think Civics might still come with lower end Pioneer speakers so you will need to spend at least 50-100 bucks to hear much difference.
  • 88civicsi88civicsi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 88 Civic LX with a B16A1 engine but would like to add affordable upgrades with out putting my house up for sale to do so. If any body can give some advice on how I can put more ponies into my car, drope me a line. :lemon:
  • aznazn Member Posts: 14
    hey everybody i signed up here looking for help, i have a 2002 Si 127 hp, 16 valve 1.7L engine, Im looking to modify my car but i dont anything about the engine and how it works, i already have the outside looking good...now i just need to to proform better. PLZ!!! someone school me!

P.S what would the differance be from getting my engine super/turbo charged?
  • angelmangelm Member Posts: 5
    TRY SONY XPLODS THEY ARE GOOD I HAVE IT IN MY CRX THE COST ALOT BUT IST WORTH IT
  • angelmangelm Member Posts: 5
    first you should start up basic with new exhaust so it could breath better then with
    a cold air intake for more air then headers those are the best performance parts you should star of with those are the cheapest way to upgrades you civic the you decide what you want to put like nitrous turbo super charge and stuff like that

it will not be cheap TIP: ONE STEP AT A TIME
    I have a 88 Civic LX with a B16A1 engine but would like to add affordable upgrades with out putting my house up for sale to do so. If any body can give some advice on how I can put more ponies into my car, drope me a line.

88 Civic LX did not come with B16 from the factory. If you already dropped a new engine in it, I think you know what to do next. Or Should have dropped B18 in it :-)
  • mbotmbot Member Posts: 6
    i have a 93 civic lx and the seats are worn. i can feel the metal support bars through the fabric. any ideas what to do to make them more comfortable? i'd rather not buy new seats all together, but perhaps a seat cover of some sorts??? thanks for any help. cheers.
    Thanks for the tip, thats the same thingi was thinking. start with exhaust and air intake....but would headers boost power/tourqe? what are other thing i could do? my cuz has the same car as me and he can smoke a Acura RSX-S with ease, i hear him talk about blow off vales,cam gears,down pipes??? omg...soo much about cars that i need to know...

Hope to hear back from you angelm.
    Would super/turbo charging a car eat more gas? i think i already know the answer but thought id ask anyway.
    whats the diffrance between SOHC and DOHC engine? which one is better?
  • indympdindympd Member Posts: 3
    single overhead cam....dual overhead cam...dohc is better
    One of the cheapest and easiest upgrades (if you haven't already done this) is a ram air intake or a cold air intake. I have an AEM ram air intake in my 95 civic ex and I noticed extra power right away.
    Also, if you have 200 bucks and a day to spare, replace your exhaust manifold (which is probably cast iron, very tight, and extremely heavy) with a ceramic coated high flow header...also install a high flow catalytic (or go with a cat back system...more $$$). I put a racing header and high flow cat on my car...cost about 200 bucks total from ebay...took a day to get the rusted ones off and I noticed increased performance with these too.
    You can get racing fuel rails pretty cheap too that deliver more fuel faster...but they are a pain to install...but that's also an option. Unless you're hard core about souping up..I'd stick to the basic bolt-on stuff.
    Anyone have any idea what size speakers are in the door panels of a 95' civic ex? I'd rather not pull them off to check if someone knows the answer...
    thanks
  • civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    Anyone have any idea what size speakers are in the door panels of a 95' civic ex?

They are 6 1/2" round speakers.
    ok, two is better than one, my engine is sohc, anyway of adding a headcam?. Is it possiable to have 3?
  • dchecdchec Member Posts: 3
    I am a proud owner of a 93 civic LX and it has been the most faithful car ever. It has been through its share of dings and fender benders. I recently decided to give it a makeover. I am not that great with cars, and it can be intimidating sometimes. i just learned how to change my own oil. I am not sure if i should start the upgrade with the exterior or the engine. the car runs fine for now. but i do need to replace driver door and also bumper. I am thinking about getting some new tires and a stereo. what is the best place to start. i also want to upgrade engine parts, but i dont want to compromise the great gas mileage. what gives the most instant results? exhaust upgrade? and if so how can i do it myself? I am sure there are numerous posts like this but i'd appreciate any form of feedback. i have been looking online and this message board seems to be one of the better ones. i also came across this website that offers to sell some kind of cd or membership with differnt modifications and how to do it yourself. does anyone know of them or know if they are reputable? it is http://www.importmodifications.com/hondacivic.html
    thanks
  • mbotmbot Member Posts: 6
    i have a '93 civic lx (canadain model) sedan which has no rear speakers... i'd like to put a set in, but i have no clue whether they can put behind the head rests of the back bench in the space below the rear window... also, is it difficult to install and wire them myself, or should i get it professionally done? any advice would be great, as i am new at this and really dont know... thanks...
  • mr_n8mr_n8 Member Posts: 5
    I got rid of my Jeep for the Civic, but I still need to carry my bike in the summer and my skis and snowboard in the winter. For the bike, I don't want to do any disassembly, so a fork rack is not an option.

I've looked at Thule and Yakima's racks, and they both look good. Any recommendations?
  • dkuchnadkuchna Member Posts: 1
    Hey all- this might be the question that disproves the old "there are no stupid questions" myth, but...

i own a 98 Civic EX which i love, but would like to know if the taillights from a 99 Si will fit- they sure LOOK the same- any help would be appreciated, since i don't want to fork over the cash for something that turns out to be useless.

Thanks in advance!!
  • dteskadteska Member Posts: 12
    i have a '93 civic lx (canadain model) sedan which has no rear speakers... i'd like to put a set in, but i have no clue whether they can put behind the head rests of the back bench in the space below the rear window... also, is it difficult to install and wire them myself, or should i get it professionally done?

If your Civic only came with two speakers, your radio may not be equipped with a fader control. I would recommend that you take it to a professional for their opinion. Your only option may be to have them install a new stereo unit along with the rear speakers. Good luck.

p.s. To really improve the sound, you should also replace the original front door speakers too.
  • drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    Take your rear deck off, or root around the rear deck from in the trunk to see if it has rear speaker wiring harnesses. My 94 corolla didn't have rear speakers, but it was already pre wired for them. Crutchfield.com is a great place to see what speakers or sterios will fit in your car. They have a very large database that should have info on your car. If you buy from them, they'll also throw in any harnesses or brackets that you'd need for free.
  • civic_hottycivic_hotty Member Posts: 1
    I know that on my 98 civic to program it you just push either the lock or unlock button 6 times and it is programed. and to set the horn to honk when locking and unlocking it you just push to option button and it will blink once if it is being turned on and twice if it is being turned off
    Big question...everywhere i look, online and in mags, im told that the "civic si" arent the si in canada? that the si is the "Sir"? soo if i were to buy something for my engine i would look under ex/lx for my civic si? is that true?
  • hondaman94553hondaman94553 Member Posts: 5
    i just got this on my o5 civic si and no its not to noisy DEFINETLY worth it :)
    I just installed a aem cold air huge difference the install didnt take long 1 1/2 hrs. the by pass valve is not on my car
    just added aem cold air to my 2005 civic si it is very throaty and makes anywhere from 10-14 hspwr. the v2 cold air is the best out there 14-18 hspwr
    i just bought a honda civic si 2005 the dealer installed on my car will not void warranty and also helps insurance rates. the cost is anywhere from 850-1100$
    i just bought a 2005 civic si i can tell you the first thing i did was cut the pipe off from cat back went from 1 3/4 to a 2.5 inch pie put a magnaflow muffler a aem cold air induction added about 20 horsepower headers are next GReddy makes a good header about 400+$. The air intake 353.00 the new pipe was 95.00 to install you may want to consider a silencer they get loud.GReddy turbos are really good at about 10-12lbs boost.
    yeah they'll fit, even if the si tail lights arent factory theyll fit
    I see...the only thing i keep in mind before i start buying bolt on for my car is that i think my civic is different from yours because mine from canada...arent the Si's in US the Sir in canada?
  • highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    Hi, I'm trying to buy either some iridium or double platinum ngk spark plugs for my 1999 civic. Should i get the NGK iridiums over the NGK double platinums? I heard that the iridiums last as long and is about $4 cheaper than the double platinums at my local auto store. Thanks.
  • sicksystem2sicksystem2 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what size speakers are in the door panels and the size pf the speakers in the back as well in an 05' civic LX
This discussion has been closed.