Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Accessories and Modifications

14567810»

Comments

• doan4udoan4u Member Posts: 105
    Eeeek :surprise: That allots of cash. You could purchase one for $150....
  • stoole2stoole2 Member Posts: 2
    I have not been on this forum in several years since I bought my last Honda. At that time, there was an internet site where you could get discounted prices for new honda accessories. Does anyone have the internet address for this site? Thanks.
  • kbryantkbryant Member Posts: 5
    I would go aftermarket, but I just wouldn't trust an aftermarket system ( Well, a non-Honda branded aftermarket system). Or is remote start mainly a GMC thing? :confuse: I don't want to damage my car in anyway, you know? :sick: Any help?

Thanks in advance! :)
  • zoozeekzoozeek Member Posts: 32
    I very much like the new 2008 Civic sedan but for one characteristic: the rear turn lights are red --- as opposed to yellow in the coupe --- and I much prefer yellow turn lights, which I believe are safer (we have two small kids). So I desperately need some help:

IS IT POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE REAR TURN LIGHTS FROM RED TO YELLOW?

If yes, how --- by getting a yellow bulb, by getting a new light cover/lens...?

How expensive (or, hopefully, cheap) is this?

Thanks greatly in advance to anyone who can help. (I'm not much of a technical person, as you can see.)
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    Yes, you can definitely change out those lights. The light itself is just a regular white bulb, so what you're actually out to replace is the cover (though you may be forced to just change the entire light assembly... don't know).

Although a normal auto parts store probably wouldn't have what you need in stock, they might have a catalog of some sort that you could get it from... Otherwise, there are many online aftermarket parts suppliers, they should have something that will work for you better.
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    Does anyone know were the outside temp sensor is on an EX. I seems to reading about 9 degree's to cool. I had the windows tinted but I think the sensor is out side of the car
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    I think it is up under the front bumper somewhere. There is some mention of it in the owners manual, and about adjusting it if the reading is way out of true - something about it in the manual anyway (I just can't remember what, exactly).
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    Thanks after I asked the question I decided to read the owners manual. You can adjust it 5% either way. the temp is still 4% off. I will go to the dealer
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    I have not been on this forum in several years since I bought my last Honda. At that time, there was an internet site where you could get discounted prices for new honda accessories. Does anyone have the internet address for this site? Thanks.

Try collegehillshonda.com. They have pretty good prices on Honda accessories.
  • error438error438 Member Posts: 17
    Can anyone please tell me how to remove the resonator from an '07 civic lx coupe, or if it's even possible?
  • powereng357powereng357 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I'm looking to change out the alloy wheels on my 2008, does anybody know of any websites that might have the same comparable weight so as not to affect gas mileage?
  • g4illag4illa Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking into getting a new aftermarket sound system for a 1998 Honda Civic EX. I don't want to spend more than $200. What is the best combination of speakers, deck(head), etc. that I can get for $200? Thanks
  • confused13confused13 Member Posts: 17
    My son has an '07 Si. I am concerned that he spends too much time fiddling with his IPOD. Is the $375 Honda upgrade to link to the audio system worth it? Are there other altenratives?
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    I also have the '07 Si, and I'm 21 so I completely understand what you're talking about. However, the honda link is definitely not worth the money, IMHO... I've also heard that they have recently developed problems with it, due to updates Apple have made to the iPod and iTunes software.

What I do (and would recommend to him) is to set his iPod in the little space between the stick and the cupholders. You can place it in there so that it'll stay firmly in place even when you press the buttons, and you can easily see the screen from the driver's seat with just a quick glance.

From there, if he makes a favorite playlist and sets his iPod to play that while he's driving, he can listen to all of his favorite songs, still drive with his attention on the road, and if he doesn't want to listen to a specific song, it's a quick (<.25 second) glance and a button press to skip to the next song.
  • gabriel123gabriel123 Member Posts: 1
    how much would it cost to change the engine of a honda civic hatchback 1991
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Uhhh, it depends upon whether you want a factory new engine, a rebuilt engine, have your own engine rebuilt, or are using an operable used engine from say a bone yard, I'm thinking that you can probably do the bone yard engine for well under $2,000 (including the cost of the engine).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • schwindtschwindt Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2008 Civic LX Coupe and am looking for sheepsking seat covers - the seat material on the bolsters looks like it will wear out pretty quickly. Does anyone have any experience or recommedations on covers that will work with the side air bags? In Google searching, it looks like www.misssideless.com seems to have a good product, but not much in the way of colors. I particularly like that they use straps and buckles to attach the covers - I have had two sets previously with the standard bungee hooks under the seats, and the elastic wears out pretty quickly. If anyone has any recommendations, I would love to hear your opinions. Thanks!
  • woodchuckchuckwoodchuckchuck Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2008 Civic Hybrid the end of March, and I am still very happy with my choice. The only thing the Prius has over the Civic is the hatchback, which I really wish Honda would consider. I am getting consistently over 47mpg actual (computed when I fill up), while my gauges tell me somewhat less. I commute 40 miles each way, and the guys at work seem very curious about my new ride. Most of them drive macho pickemups like I used to, and seem envious at my cheap gas budget. When I first drove it into my garage the day I bought it, I saw my little homemade sailboat standing in the corner and realized I would have a tough time getting it to the lake 1/2 mile away without my old truck. I asked the dealer about using it to tow a 4x8 light trailer like you would find at Home Depot. He referred me to our local Toys 4 Trucks, who found a hitch for "all" civic models to 2008 for $165 which I could bolt it on myself. I intend to use a trailer infrequently for taking yard waste to the dump, my sailboat to the water, picking up and delivering antique furniture for my refinishing business or dragging my dead motorcycle home if I need to. Nothing more than 1000 lbs including the trailer. There is a plastic pan under the rear which I would have to remove or modify if I were to attach the hitch. I certainly don't want to void any warrantees. Has anyone had any experience towing with a Civic Hybrid?
  • mycle1000mycle1000 Member Posts: 10
    in my 07 civic manual, it says not to add seat covers to the car. the side airbags would be covered up and not work.
  • redflearedflea Member Posts: 25
    Where do you guys buy your Honda parts/accessories, aside from the dealer?

I'm looking to get some door guards for my son's '08 LX sedan, and am looking for a reputable vendor w/good prices.

Thanks.
    Oh, and when I get the door guards, is installation as simple as tap them on with a rubber mallet, or ?
    Itchy fingers, couldn't wait, ordered from Manchester Motorsports.

Four door guards: $55
    Trunk cargo net: $32
    Trunk cargo tray: $87.50

http://www.manchestermotorsports.com/

Looked like good prices
  • woodchuckchuckwoodchuckchuck Member Posts: 2
    I got my hitch from Browns if Two Rivers about $120 http://cooltruckparts.com/
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    As another member has posted, make sure that the seat covers are certified to work with side airbags inside the seats. Otherwise you will cover them up.
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    One of the best places to buy accessories for your Honda is Handa-Accessories. They combine Honda and Acura parts and accessories. Here is the link:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/index.html

They have one of the best combinations of great prices and reasonable shipping.

Enjoy.

Brad
  • dromandroman Member Posts: 18
    Just wondering if anyone has seen door sill scuff plates for a 2006 Civic Ex. I found some for sedans, but none for the coupes.
  • daddydavedaddydave Member Posts: 2
    I have been looking for door sills for my 2007 Si coupe and have yet to find a supplier. According to College Hills Honda podcasts (pretty good source of information), the Australian company that makes after-market sills for the Civic sedans doesn't make a version for the coupe because the Civic coupe is not available in Australia. The sedan sills are too wide to fit the coupe sills. I have seen aluminum door sills (check www.yospeed.com), but they are currently out of stock. In e-mail exchange, I was told they plan to have more next month. I'll let you know... In the meantime, I'd appreciate hearing from other searchers. It is hard to believe that with all the Civic after-market suppliers, there apparently any after-market suppliers for the coupes.
  • dromandroman Member Posts: 18
    Thanks so much for your quick reply. Let's hope we find something soon!
  • jimmyrigggjimmyriggg Member Posts: 4
    Ive had engines replaced many times, honda are cheap engines from a pick an pull yard Around $150 for the block and labor can be any where from around 10 hours to what ever they want, now if you know sombody who works at there own place on vehicles or if you know sombody who will fix it at your house then its going to be cheap. I had one put in an 88 civic hatchback, from a yard, engine and laybor was atotal of $500.or another way is a crate motor from japan,, they have 30,000 miles on them.Useing a crate motor is like buying a brand new motor it can be any where from about $1800 to $3800, depends on motor, then laybor on top. i would say it could Be any ware from $800 to $2500 used motor. and at least $3000 for a crate job
  • webasto1webasto1 Member Posts: 1
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    it's a used JDM engine that has to be replaced due to laws in japan (and other Asian countries). They aren't always a good deal nor always from japan. Since they have to be replaced at 30k, they are very often trashed by the original owner. Since they are used in commercial applications (many come from small delivery trucks), the internals are very often slightly different and some aren't designed to last much past 30k. More often than not they are pulled and stored for years in terrible conditions, no inspections, without oil fill and simply rust internally. you'll find them still with wires attached, just cut with a dull axe. Ugggglllllyyyy....

We pulled 3 apart to find one that was useable. It lasted 500 miles beyond the 12000 mile warranty.....

imho, a rebuilt is more often more reliable since someone has at least taken it apart and rebuilt it, and has a better warranty sometimes. Pulling one from a domestic junk yard is a good choice, at least you know the internals are the same.

unfortunately the labor to install a junkyard engine or a rebuilt or 30k is the same. It's better not to skimp.
  • bwooster47bwooster47 Member Posts: 9
    The Honda Civic EX 2009 has a 60/40 split rear seat, but even 40% is too large to waste on the rear seat.

That civic also has a rear arm-rest/cup holder than can be lowered. In previous cars, I've seen that they have a flap-door in the rear, which if opened, allows for long items to be stowed in the trunk and have them stick out into the rear seat. This allows the seat-back to be kept upright, and just have skis stick out through the hole in the center.

I was wondering if I can cut open a flap in that rear-armrest backing, and get access to trunk that way! Can use velcro to make the flap be close-able.

Any reasons why this would not work?
  • jimmyrigggjimmyriggg Member Posts: 4
    very tru it always iffy i would recomend useing one if you in tend on overhauling it befor you put it in your car. the recsonbing is that a lot of the the parts they use are a bit more high performance and most parts that need replacing would be parts you would replce anyway. the motors are a bit diferent thow with any motor it all relies on the metal and how it can hold out. im not sure how much of the motor is built with strong metals but i do know that the demand on there motors are way more than are motors they belive the small engines can produce the power if built superior!
  • guntherhopsguntherhops Member Posts: 21
    Does anybody have recent experience with the dealer installing an XM radio in an "XM Ready" Civic? I have a 2005 Accord and the XM was factory installed in the audio system and has been fabulous.
    When the dealer installs it, do all the same audio controls and knobs work the XM? Does the digital display show the artist, title, etc?
    When the dealer installs it, do all the same audio controls and knobs work the XM? Does the digital display show the artist, title, etc?

Yes, it is controlled by the same audio controls. And yes, you will see the title and artist info displayed. However, the display is only one line so you'll have to wait for the info to scroll across. Nonetheless, it will work in that manner.
  • shhessyshhessy Member Posts: 16
    I bought a Civic VP that comes without the center console, but it has a good storage compartment behind the center cupholders. I wonder if there is a cover (OEM or factory) that I can buy to close the storage compartment to rest my elbow when I am driving. Any suggestions will be appreciated. :confuse:
  • tjchintjchin Member Posts: 12
    Hello: Just bought a car and am wondering if anyone has any comments on LoJack. I didn't buy it the same day as the car, because I wanted to do some research and see what other people paid for it, etc., and then go back to the dealer and negotiate.

Any feedback on best price paid for lojack, is it worth it?? I am just looking for base installation that sells for $695.00. Any maintenance costs, etc?

Thanks
  • isher1992isher1992 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a used 1993 Honda Civic Del Sol, and it has a custom stereo system installed in it. The dealer told us the Keyless Entry remote needed a new battery/didn't work. I heard from my uncle, who had a '96 Civic that when HE installed a custom stereo into his car, the factory keyless entry didn't work for him either. He said that he was told the keyless entry was built into the radio through the car's antenna. Is this the same case here? And if it is, is there anyway around it?
    I heard from my uncle, who had a '96 Civic that when HE installed a custom stereo into his car, the factory keyless entry didn't work for him either. He said that he was told the keyless entry was built into the radio through the car's antenna. Is this the same case here? And if it is, is there anyway around it?

Yes, this is the case. It was a stupid idea, but true. The way around it back in the 90's was to keep the factory stereo in the vehicle, but bury it out of sight in the car. That way it could still operate the door locks and you could still have a custom stereo in the dashboard.

Since it sounds like the factory stereo is already gone, there may be an aftermarket electronic part that you could find that would do the same thing as the factory stereo did.
  • isher1992isher1992 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate the reply!

But, it hit me about two days later that the car didn't even have power locks, and I compared the remote with my uncle's 2003 Civic remote and it didn't even look right. It was an after market remote. So, I clicked all the buttons and then the center button unveiled a useless feature: remote start. Whoever wired it wasn't very smart, because while it's engaged, the lights flash on and off continuously. And it doesn't turn off when you take the key out after it's started.

So, basically I have no use for this remote. :)
  • crazyflycrazyfly Member Posts: 61
    This is a good price and the peace of mind is priceless. The lojack installer normally puts a small sticker on the back bumper that tells the world the car has lojack...okay, it doesn;t tell the world, but it tells people who know what the sticker means that the vehicle has lojack and to not mess with it. Lojack transmitters (several) are concealed in different sections of the car. There is no ongoing maintenance costs of the system but you may want to get a new battery for the lojack systems after 2-3 years. I hope this info helps.
  • civic_docivic_do Member Posts: 1
    In a nutshell I am looking for upgrade(s) that will maintain or increase resale value without breaking the bank. Have considered intakes/exhausts, Nav/DVD, bug deflector, etc. Probably going to sell the car within the next year or so only because I need AWD. It's in great condition, 87k miles - all stock except door panel speakers. Looking for something "utilitarian" ... something just about anyone would enjoy having and could justify spending some money on.

"What is the best way to spend up to 1k on this car?"

Suggestions? Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.