Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• redsirredsir Member Posts: 34
    Try Yakima or Thule. Footpads are silicone and attach with custom clips. They are very, very secure.

I have used mine with a 50 lb,14 ft Kayak for several years. Only two straps needed. Once I put an Oak table on.

When you change cars, just buy new mounting clips. Downside....high cost.
  • kukarekakukareka Member Posts: 20
    Thank you for your info!
    I'm planning to have one for a canoe.
    Redsir, would you mind to tell me how did you find out that roof/roofrack would accomodate such weight (50lbs). Was it dealer that garanteed weight limit or roofrack manufacturer (Thule as you mentioned)? Also, what trim is your Civic?
    Thank you again!
  • tmtrp1tmtrp1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Civic Coupe and wanted to upgrade the headlight bulbs to something with the Ultra White or Ultimate White HID types. I have a question though. I've tried to find out what types of bulbs fit and I have two different answers. The parts people at the dealer said the lights in their inventory indicate they are H4 but the owner's manual shows something called an HB2. I remember with my 91 H/B I got a 9004. What's correct?
  • redsirredsir Member Posts: 34
    Sorry for late reply.... been busy shopping for Suzuki Aerio SX. :)

Anyway, Yakima and Thule will give you load ratings for your car.

My first rack was for a 1997 4dr Civic EX. I bought new clips and special spreader bars when I went to a 2001 2dr Civic LX ($300.00 CDN!). I now have my 2002 SIR hatch and will try it soon to see if it fits.

For a canoe, the accessory fittings are most likely a good buy. They will be good quality. Also it may not be as aerodynamic, so front and rear straps may be in order.

Don't sweat the details. Get the rack and get in the water. Summer is here and will fly by. Get some good pics. When winter returns they are great screen savers.
  • rkanrkanrkanrkan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 sedan and believe the bulbs to be the same. The Sylvania web site, http://www.sylvania.com/bin/carApp/carApp_ver2.pl?flag=model_qual- s&make=&make=Honda&year=&year=2001&model=Civi- c&x=50&y=12#1
     is where I got my info when I wanted to purchase the Silver Stars. These bulbs are great! So White, so bright! You will notice a big difference. Anyways the site says the part number is 9003, and the upgrade part number is 9003ST. The Sylvania site has some good info.
  • sdradioguysdradioguy Member Posts: 101
    I have a 1996 Civic DX coupe which I bought new, and would like to give to my mom when I get another car. The problem is that it came without power steering (as did every DX 5sp. coupe that year). Is there any way I can get power steering added? And, if so, what would that involve?
  • sfbmcsfbmc Member Posts: 4
    I want to install an amplifier to my 1998 Honda
    Civic EX stereo. Where is the best way of routing the power cable from the battery to the
    trunk. I can't seem to find a good spot to drill on the firewall to route the cable. Please help.
  • dust90dust90 Member Posts: 169
    I noticed your old post, requesting info on a center armrest. I too have a 2002 Si & am hunting for a center armrest. Have you had any luck in your search. OR anyone else find an armrest for the Si?? I'd prefer one that folded up & out of the way when not being used.

Thanks
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    I have posted info on armrests, but the hosts keep deleting it siting that no commmercial info should be posted here. I am just passing along the information. Also check out a website solely deicated to the new Si. Once again no links allowed, but our body code is EP and it is a hatch, hence -- ephatch.
    There are two types of arm rests out there. One that mounts to the center console and the other that mounts to the seat mounting bolts.

Good luck
  • hailwolfsburghailwolfsburg Member Posts: 7
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with finding aftermarket websites for parts for 1986 CRX. I've tried to search but havent found a whole lot. mainly looking for cosmetic stuff like lights and other accesories. any help will be much appreciated.

thanks
  • hoshi4hoshi4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I recently had the Viper 850 XV alarm installed on my 2003 civic, it came with keyless entry but I was told since I don't have power doors they could not install the keyless entry. Does anyone know of a cheap way to get power doors installed. Thanks.
    I think the most efficient way to add power door locks is to trade your DX for LX. With LX you not only get the power door locks but power windows and A/C for a $1000-$2000 on top of the DX.

Check out http://www.jcwhitney.com They have aftermarket door locks. It may be a pain to install them. But it is worth a try.

Another venue is to find a junked LX or EX and swap the doors intact (you will get power windows on top of power locks) Theoretically you can remove the regulators from the junked LX or EX and install in the DX. But the complexity may be beyond the scope of average DIY. As far as I know, Hondas come pre-wired for everything, so theoretically the wires for the power door locks and windows are in the doors. Realisticly, I don't know.
  • bobntamibobntami Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can find a tan colored front bra for my 03 civic sedan. Honda sells a black one and I havent been able to find one on the net. Thanks for the help, Bob
  • mjklmjkl Member Posts: 1
    Hi Fellas,

I hail from Singapore and stumbled upon this website. Excellent source of information, I should say!

Any one out there driving this vehicle? In Singapore, the 1999-2000 Civics are known as EXi, VTi and SiR. The SiR is the most powerful, with 170 horses for manual and 155 horses for auto versions. The former two are 1.5L while SiR is 1.6L.

I drive an auto Civic SiR and am enjoying every minute of it!

Cheers.
  • 93civichybrid93civichybrid Member Posts: 7
    I own a 1993 Civic Milano Red and i recently decided to get rid of my econobox 1.6L sohc d16z6 motor in favor of a nice beefy dohc b18c1 (acura gsr). anyways just wanted to say that if anyone is in the market to get a swap for their honda i definately support the idea. its is much cheaper to buy yourself a 5th gen civic and buy a motor (around 7500 all done) then go spending 18k on a new Si which looks like a mini-van and is slower than the older Si's (99-00 all the way!) however i do like the styling of the 2004 Ep3-R but now the regular old boring ep3 that we get here in the states. oh and the DC5/R kills the new Si anyways in styling and speed so if u want a waranty with your honda get an integra...ooops sorry rsx. heh
  • ncampbell2002ncampbell2002 Member Posts: 163
    I was a little dissappointed by the soft suspension on the 2003 Civic. I just purchased a set of Eibach proline springs for my 2003 Civic EX and it improves the handling of a car by a lot without sacrificing the ride quality. On top of that it improves the appearance of the car by lowering it 1.5 inches and getting rid of that nasty wheel gap that makes it look like you have a truck suspension on your car. Anyone looking for an inexpensive improvement to their vehicle, this is the way to go! The handling and response just feels so much more secure and you can hug the corners a lot better without the excessive body roll (especially where I drive the speed limit in downtown detroit on freeways are only 55, however the speed limit the people make it are a good 70-75 with plenty of 50-55 mph curves!). Anyhow the modification cost me just over $300 installed with alignment.
  • banks0730banks0730 Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering if any body knows if the leather seats in the Acura RSX will fit in the 2004 Ex Civic Coupe and do if so what should be a good price for this mod with labor included. Is it possible to have fog lights with the factory aero kit and in you guys opinion what is the best security system with remote start on the market I am looking to upgrade. Thanks in advance.
    I don't know about the seats. I have never heard of that mod before but its possible. You may also want to check out getting the current seats redone in leather. I believe its possible to put aftermarket fog lights in with the aero kit but the factory ones will not fit. Your best bet for the security system in my opinion would be to go with the factory. After market security systems especially the ones with remote start can screw up your electrical system and cause malfunction. If you install one and have other problems with your electrical system, you can kiss your warranty goodbye. Electrical systems can be very expensive to fix so just keep that in mind. Honda already has a decent anti theft system in their vehicles. You may also want to consider that most car alarms these days are considered more of an annoyance and are often ignored. After market security systems are also fairly easy to disable.
    Once again thanks! The reason I thought up the RSX seats as a mod was because of the racing style seats that they have. I know may be able to purchase a brand such as Momo and then I can get them done in leather along with the rear seats, that might be cheaper than the RSX mod. I wish Honda would come up with an aero kit that would fit the factory fog lights. What a tuff choice Fog Lights Vs. Aero Kit, it's Safety Vs. Style.
    If you want racing seats, check out the Si seats. Generally all of Honda parts are interchageable, so the seats should fit. Maybe some minor modifications will be needed. Check out ebay for seats. But be carefull, alot of Honda stuff on ebay is Hot, and probably has the original owner looking for it. The Si seats are about $1000 a pop at the dealer, so you are better off getting Spearco's or even labeled (unlike the Si seats which are not lebeled as Recarros) Recarros.
  • boston_teaboston_tea Member Posts: 4
    I recently installed an AEM Short RAM air intake system onto my 2003 Civic LX with great increases in horsepower and a moderate increase in gas milage.

But will this aftermarket add-on void the warranty on the engine?
    "I recently installed an AEM Short RAM air intake system onto my 2003 Civic LX with great increases in horsepower and a moderate increase in gas milage.

But will this aftermarket add-on void the warranty on the engine?"

Do you have dyno results for the "great increases in horsepower"? The most increase I have seen was when someone installed cold air intake instead of replacing a clogged and dirty filter. If you don't have a by pass valve and it rains where you live, you are looking at hydrolocking your engine pretty soon.
    Also, alot of so called "cold intake" systems are just short ram intakes that take the air from the engine compartment which is even worse than the stock intake.
    And yes, it will void your manufacturer's warranty as the aftermarket filters may allow more particulates in.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    A) He bought a short ram, not a cold air system, to flood that would require submerging the engine in water up to the windshield.

B) It would be very difficult for a dealer to void your warranty because of an aftermarket air filter, especially one that is carb certified - most AEM intakes are.
  • boston_teaboston_tea Member Posts: 4
    Not sure what a "dyno result" is, but I can tell when a car has significantly increased its horsepower.
    And as Muffin Man stated above, it was just a short ram I was talking about. All I wanted to know was whether it would void the warranty, not read a lecture about cold air intakes.
    Thanks for your input, Muffin Man.
    I would like to know if the installation of lojack would void the honda factory warranty? Also, what is the price range with installation included?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I just checked my invoice and the Lojack installed price was $550 at Boch Honda in the Boston area.

As far as I know your warranty is NOT voided if it is installed by the dealer. Look out, however, for the $99 warranty on the Lojack unit itself.

The insurance break is very minimal, it is only about a $30 premium reduction.
  • barisbaris Member Posts: 6
    Thanks a lot for sharing ncampbell2002. I have a '03 EX sedan and am also disappointed with the handling.

I dumped factory tires and bought Potenzas, it helped a bit but not enough.

I was considering dumping my steel wheels and getting 16 inch alloys, but it was too expensive.

Please keep us posted on how your springs hold up. Did you hit the bottom of the car to any bumps,etc yet? Do you have to be extra careful now that you are 1.5inch lower?

Do you think alloys would really improve handling btw?
    So far so good on the springs. I have put about 10,000 miles on them so it is still a little early to tell on the longetivity of them but they still act like new. If you are going to do this go with an Eibach set. I have a couple other friends that have done this and have been very happy with them. I have yet to bottom out the car and I drive on some pretty terrible roads here in Michigan. The vehicle clearance is still about 5 inches above the ground. The tires never hit the top of the wheel well either. To improve my handling further, I have a 17 inch wheel and tire package for the summer along with an upper front strut bar underneath the hood to reduce engine sway around the corners. Alloy wheels will really not give you a noticable difference in handling unless you go with a bigger wheel and a lower profile tire.
  • barisbaris Member Posts: 6
    What do you think of Honda Factory Performance package exclusively available at the dealerships?

"Pre-assembled spring/shock/strut system", wheels that are "manufactured with hubs machined to perfectly match Honda suspension components" for a smooth ride, "Wheel Offset matched to Honda vehicle suspension design" for long life of wheel bearings, suspension joints...

I don't care about the cosmetic upgrade, and I would seriously negotiate only for the suspension components if I were to buy it. But even then, do these statements above have merit? Being an engineer (not automobile), I fall for that kind of talk. I'm curious to hear from the experienced.
  • calihonda1calihonda1 Member Posts: 9
    I have 03 civic. I want to make a spare key. Dealers told me it costs a about $40 to $60 and I have to make an appointment with Service dept so that they can "PROGRAM" the key. The price seems high and I don't think it is that difficult to PROGRAM the key.

Is it the right price?

Does any one know how to "PROGRAM" the key?

Thank you
  • celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    I think $40 to $60 is reasonable. It costs $80 by my dealer.
    Hi all, I have a 04 Civic Sedan LX. This car leans too much when cornering. Will a thicker anti-roll improve the balance? Money is an issus. Which brand and size do you recommend? Thank you for your post!
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    I have the same car and I drive pretty aggressively. My car tracks fine for me, but it's not a sports car. Are you sure you are not just driving like you need to be on a racetrack?
  • snarkssnarks Member Posts: 207
    Civic is NOT a sports car or even close (even the SI), its a reliable economy car. Don't waste your money. Better tires will help to a good degree but wait till they are worn, check out TireRack on internet (a site sponser I believe) for reviews. but the car is made for comfort not handling. Try a Mazda3 out if you want respectible handling in a small car although at the expense of some ride quality.
    My local dealer charges $75 for a new key and it can only be programmed by the dealer. It's not a do-it-yourselfer. I'm not sure about the process, but I think they have some code associated with your car and then they take that code a plug it into some kind of machine to make a new key for you.
    Thanks for input. Don't get me wrong. I am not racing my Civic. I just want to improve a little bit at the corner. The car has traction and the steering is very good. Somehow it just leans too much even I enter a corner from a good angle. It is just my personal opinion depends on experience on my old cars - 89 Suzuki GTi, 93 Sentra GXE, 90 Celica GT, 88 Integra RS, 94 Metro, and my current WRX.
    I also had a Sentra too and yes it did lean more than my Civic. I agree with snarks, invest in better tires when they wear our. That will give you the most improvement and bang for your buck. Good luck!
    If you want to invest some money into one, I would recommend DC Sport's Upper Front Strut Bar. It helps a lot because it reduces engine sway and makes the front a lot more solid. It looks sweet under the hood too! But the only reason I got one was because I got my hands on one for cost, so if you really want it either get from someone you know or be ready to fork out over $200. :(
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    One day, I'm going to pick up an old Swift GT. What a cool car.
    Thanks for feebacks. I had a round trip from NYC Washington DC in the past two days. I got 36MPG @78mph average plus 4 adults. Very comfortable sitting and view. The only complain was power. Speed dropped quick when going up the mountain.

bd21 - I 100% agree that you will gain better traction by a set of good tires. Will the car lean even more because of the sticky traction?

ncampbell2002 - I think I will get the Upper Front Strut Bar in this summer. The DC's is expensive. I bought a $49.00 one for my brother's 92 Prelude last year. He liked it, I think I may get a cheap one too. What do you think about the different between the DC's and cheap brand Front Strut Bar? Only the weight different?

muffin_man - The Swift GTi was the best front wheel car I had owned. It looked very cool. It was white, and I had a set of white 15" rim on it. I lost it because I (a H.S. student) did not have money to fix the transmission.
    Yes the car will lean more, but if you stiffen up the suspension so it doesn't lean, you will end up with a harsher ride. It's all about trade offs. Personally I like the smooth ride, so I would not change the suspension. Sounds like you are getting great mileage on the highway, so just enjoy the ride.
    I had looked at a cheap one and wasn't impressed with the build quality. The welds were sloppy and didn't look put together very well. The DC Sports one looked a lot better engineered, and it was painted red to match my car. The other one was just steel. I think the manufacturer was APC. However I don't think I would have gotten the DC if I had to pay retail for it.
  • johnnypicjohnnypic Member Posts: 11
    Hi all, I was wonderinf if anyon knows if after market exhaust are illegal in nys now. I recieved a ticket for a "altered muffler" sec 376-sub 3. I looked up that law and that has nothing to do with an exhaust system. (damaged lights and signals) My exhaust is 50 state street legal and CARB approved. I had it on my civic for almost 6 years and I never had a problem with the police until now.

Some one told me that any exhaust that is not oem is illlegal. I can not find that in any web searches.

Im going to traffic court to plead not guilty.

My car is a 1993 civic coupe ex.
    How loud is the exhaust? They have laws in most states that only allow a certain "loudness" in exhaust systems I believe usually between 90-100 dB. It's the same deal when your OEM muffler or exhaust rots out and becomes very loud. Police have every right to pull you over for defective equipment on that too. Also do you still have the cat. on it? It is also illegal to run without a cat. converter.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Johnnypic, I am not sure on the specifics of NYS law, but if your car passed inspections and you have paperwork proving that the exhaust on your vehicle is legal, you have a case. What were you pulled over for originally? Speeding? were you given a ticket for speeding as well. If your exhaust is not very loud, a cop would have not pulled you over just for that.
    The funny thing is I was stopped at a red light and 6 officers on foot patrol came up to my window and asked for my liscence. So actually I was not pulled over for any offence the "rookie" cop probably didnt like my chrome exhaust. He also stated that I wasnt being pulled over for noise. Just that I have an altered muffler.

I still have the cat on my car. The exhaust has a 115mm chrome tip. It is part of the exhaust. The company makes a silencer for my exhaust that would reduce the sound output by 7db but Ive been very carefull in not going over 4k rpms. The laws in ny for noise are as follows:
    90db from 50 ft away while driving at 35mph. My exhaust meets Californias noise level maximum
    do you have paperwork for the complaince with CARB? If so, take it to court. I don't think there is a law for altered exhaust as long as it is compliant with the emissions and sound. This is clear violation of you civil right to express your self. I wonder if your mayor is a republican.
    Mayor of NYC is Mike Bllomberg
    You mentioned that you were questioning NYS (New York state) law, you never mentioned you got a ticket in NYC (New York City). New York city has its own regulations that are not the same as the NYS (New York state).

Good luck
  • pedrokimpedrokim Member Posts: 8
    ncampbell2002, thanks for posting the info on the DC strut bar and the Eibach lowering springs. The roads in the Bronx are terrible and I always worry about my rims. I will definitely invest in those.

Now to the general question. I wanted to get some Projector Head Lights Halo (Black/BlueION) for my 2003 Civic Ex. Does anyone have projector head lights? I was curious if nighttime visibility was better, or if it's just for aesthetics. And an estimated cost would be cool too (ie, install, bulbs). Thank you for your time.
This discussion has been closed.