Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ..."rule of 78s" which is the method of calculating the balance due for payoff...

Actually, it's a method for (approximately!) calculating your refund on unearned interest when you wish to pay off a loan early as the payments you have already made were based on going the full term of the loan.

FYI: If you have r months remaining on a loan of n months, then your refund will be [r×(r+1)]/[n×(n+1)]×total interest charge on the loan.

tidester, host
  • cwhitfordcwhitford Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2002 XLT, and I just noticed a 2003 in the parking lot. Couple comments: First, the door handles. They are a black urathane type material. I think this cheapens the look of the truck. The 2002 has painted body color handles. Second, I took a peek inside and what is with the grey/chrome molding around the stereo and climate control? It does not look very elegant with beige interior! I have dk graphite, but still prefer the plain black in the 2002. If they wanted to dress it up, why not use the fake woodgrain (EB) on beige interiors and the grey woodgrain(Limited) on the graphite interior?

Although the seats do look nicer that they have less of the dk/lt grey/beige as in the 2002. And also, the dimming mirror, fog lights and the leather wrapped steering wheel is also a plus. These were added on the 2002.5.

I guess I was a little disappointed about what seems that they saved money on the handles in order to dress up the dash.

As the owner of a 98 and 02, I still like the Explorer and would recommend one to anyone. However, I would look for a 2002.5 instead of a 2003. You would save money and get a better looking truck.
  • haironghairong Member Posts: 153
    What is the refund exactly in your post #1002?

AFAIK, your monthly payment on auto loan consists two portions, you pay in full the interest accumulated in the previous month, the rest is to pay down the principal. As your monthly payment continues, the insterest portion gets less and less, the principal part gets bigger and bigger. You won't owe interest for more than a month if you pay on time, and you are never owed interest, the balance in your account is always your remaining principal.

Sorry this has nothing to do with Exp/Neer. I am just confused with the statement.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    you are never owed interest

Yes, but all the outstanding payments are based on taking the loan to full term. In paying it off early, you would make all the outstanding payments at once and you are due a refund on the unearned interest for the "future payments."

Historically, the banks have used this method of "bookkeeping" but in this age of computers and calculators it would seem unnecessary. In fact, the "Rule of 78" is no longer legal for loans whose terms are in excess of 61 months.

tidester, host
  • alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    Not exactly sure if you're looking for something elegant looking, but I got some from Walmart for the 3rd row seats. $3.99 each and I got two. Works great. And most of the time I do have my 3rd row down.
  • tulsahogtulsahog Member Posts: 64
    In addition to myself, a few others have reported a "clunking" sound when hitting a bump at low speed while turning. Local dealer replaced steering gear with no effect. Plan to go back for third visit and was wondering if any recent tsb's or solutions have been found. Do not want another part change if not the cause.

It feels like a looseness, but do not notice it at any time other than low speed turning.
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    Our 2002 has 20,000 miles on it now, and we've not had this problem so far.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    or maybe a suspension bushing
  • kmeeskmees Member Posts: 3
    They offer this model on the Ford page, but they have none here in the Raleigh area in stock that I can find so I can't drive one. My question is, does anyone have any opinion on whether the V6 can handle the AWD system without really becoming a dog? Yes, I am looking at a 4X4 as well for those days it snows and rains, but the convenience of the AWD interests me.
    The 6 is a dog in any configuration. And that's what we have. Wish I had the V8
  • mrankellmrankell Member Posts: 21
    I need to replace my goodyear 245 70 16 LS tires on my 2002 mountaineer. I guess I can't complain as I have over 40,000 miles on them. I am looking at the goodyear fortera. Has anyone had any good experiences with other brands or types.
  • mwmcdonald1mwmcdonald1 Member Posts: 17
    I've not driven an '02+ Explorer or Mountaineer with the V8. I can tell you, though, that I do NOT think the V6 is under powered for this vehicle. Our Merc does have the towing package, though, which probably contributes significantly to my satisfaction with the performance of the V6. I probably wouldn't be so satisfied with the V6 without the tow package.
  • tabokytaboky Member Posts: 7
    We just bought a 2000 XLT and it didn't have the owners manual, hence no card with keypad code. Anyone know where the module is located and how to get to it to see the factory number?

Thanks,
    Steve
    2000 XLT. Changer is in the middle console. Any idea how it is attached in there? There is a single cd in the dash, so we would rather have the space in the console for storage. Also, on the front of the storage area, there is an opening which looks like it would be for an emergency brake (I assume for a standard). Is there suppossed to be a cover for that?

Thanks for any info,
    Steve
  • cubescubes Member Posts: 29
    I have to agree with mwmcdonald1. Our Mountaineer also has the tow pkg and I think the performance is more than adequate.

I drove the V6 and V8 back to back to back before deciding on the V6. I didn't think there was a significant "seat of the pants" difference between the two. BTW, I can't remember if the V8 had the tow package.

I imagine if you live in an area of diverse elevations or planned to do a significant amount of towing, the added torque of the V8 would come in handy. For our use, as a baby mover, grocery getter and general errand vehicle the V6 is more than adequate.

YMMV and yes, I do wish the V6 got a little better fuel mileage.
    hi all... just want to share this with everyone. something very interesting happened today on my 2002 xlt with 1500 miles. that fiberglass part right underneath the rear window wiper (where that ford logo sits) has a crack right from the middle. I used the rear window only 3 times. I wonder if that has to do with the pressure off the wiper or that piece of plastic is just too cheap and weak. oh well, anyway, taking it back to the dealer tomorrow.
  • seningenseningen Member Posts: 4
    Any recomendation for where to find
    a third row seat option for a '99 XLT?

thanks,

Mike
    went to the dealer today and they're pretty good about it. the mgr at the body shop said it's a defect and they would order part to fix right away. :)
  • jlb1166jlb1166 Member Posts: 3
    Taboky;

I bought an Exploder new in '98 and the slot you mention in the console is actually for a box of tissues. A small travel size box will slide into the front of the console and the slot allows access to one tissue at a time. Clever, but not very useful. I found that this kept a nice layer of tissue "dust" all over the console most of the time.

Not sure how the CD Changer is attached, good luck though.

jlb1166
    How did you figure that out? I didn't get a manual, but downloaded one from the myford site. Maybe the manual that comes with the truck is more descriptive.

I did find that the code for the keyless entry is on the control module located in the well that the jack is in. Needed a mirror and flashlight to read it, but cheaper than paying a dealer.

Steve
  • jasonj734jasonj734 Member Posts: 35
    Just go drive a Mountainner with the V6 and AWD. That will give you the best idea of how a V6 AWD Explorer will feel. I agree that the V6 is not underpowered, its not as fast as the V8 but its not underpowered.
  • jv312jv312 Member Posts: 32
    Just went over 10k on my 2002.5 V6 XLT purchased in Apr 02. I'm still happy with my purchase, but I have a couple of observations/concerns maybe someone can enlighten me on.

1. Low speed mystery noise - mine seems to have developed this now too. Haven't brought it in for service yet, but I don't like it. Its definitely suspension-related. Does anyone have any insight? I can't go over a speed bump or turn into a slightly inclined driveway without hearing it.

2. Gas mileage. This V6 drinks alot of petro. What's everyone getting on average? Obviously driving style can play into the results here, but I'm looking more for someone who is really tracking it. Tell me it will get better!

3. Lastly, has anyone looked into snow tires or changed out the Michelin crossterrains on their Explorer? I'm towing a two-place snowmobile trailer this winter and want more of a all-terrain or snow tire, any suggestions? Thanks.
  • joeadpjoeadp Member Posts: 68
    Averaging about 14 MPG mostly local driving.
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    The Explorer tells me I'm getting about 22 MPG on the highway, 16 in town (and that's driving up and down mountains)with the V6. I have to admit I'm VERY surprised with the mileage....then again, I'm going by what the Explorer tells me it's getting....it might be time to check it myself :(
  • pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    For a major business daily, I am seeking Ford Explorer drivers for a weekly auto feature that I put together. If you own one, and would notmind having your name printed in the peper, please email me at lanetef@yahoo.com and insert a daytime phone number where I can call you and ask about 5-6 questions about your experiences with the Explorer.
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    You didn't give us much to work with here, but I'll try it. I have had the center sway bar bushings repalced on mine because they groaned over low speed bumps (and higher speed ones). There was a delay because Ford was re-designing the part due to the number of vehicles affected. To check yours, push down on the front bumper while it's parked. If the bushings are bad, you'll hear the noise.
    Good luck!
  • heintz1heintz1 Member Posts: 52
    I'm driving a 2002, 4WD Explorer XLT with V8, tow package, and Michelin Cross Terrains. My vehicle has nearly 26,000 miles on it, so I do a lot of driving. The suspension noise you're hearing (a "creaking" sound?) is most likely the swaybar bushings, for which there is a TSB (technical service bulletin). Have your swaybar bushings replaced and lubricated, then periodically lubricated thereafter.

Regarding tires, my Michelin Cross terrains will soon be replaced on a pro-rated price basis by Ford, due to a recent vibration at highway speeds that has defied diagnosis, but which is believed to be a tire problem. At any rate, it's my opinion that Michelin makes the finest tires (but even they're not immune to occasional problems), and I think that putting anything other than Michelins on the Explorer/MTNR would probably be a step downward. The Cross Terrains are a light truck tire designed to handle both smooth pavement as well as light off-roading, plus snow, ice, and light mud. This is a very versatile tire, but it comes at a small price, i.e., they are not the most quiet tire, nor are they the most "soft" riding. The bigger the tread and tread grooves, the more noise a tire will generate. On the other hand, most of us choose an SUV for both their truck-like and car-like abilities, so in my opinion, it may be unwise to choose a tire that does either thing well, but not both very well, like the Cross Terrains do. Some noise and a firmer ride is the price we pay for a good all-around SUV tire. Of course, one can replace the Cross Terrains with Michelin's "LTX M/S" (mud/snow) tires, but they will undoubtedly make even more noise than the Cross Terrains, and they will undoubtedly ride rougher, too. Finally, the 2002/2003 Explorer/MTNR can be equipped with 17" wheels and tires, but here again the noise will likely increase; in addition, the larger wheels/tires will raise the vehicle's height and center-of-gravity by about 2", making it more likely to roll over under certain conditions.
  • jv312jv312 Member Posts: 32
    Thanks to all for your responses. I pushed down on the front bumper and heard the creak/squeak. Made appointment at the Svc Dept. regarding the TSB.
    The Michelin tire info was excellent too. I questioned the tires mainly because they are a P rated tire as opposed to a C. According to Tire Rack's website, P-metric tires used on passenger cars and station wagons are rated to carry 100% of the load indicated on the tire's sidewall (or listed for the tire in industry load/inflation charts). However, if the same P-metric tires are used on light trucks, (pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles for example), their carrying capacity is reduced to 91% of the load indicated on the tire's sidewall. This is my first SUV, all my other vehicles have been trucks which used LT and C rated tires. I agree the noise/ride will suffer. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but again, I have never towed in the winter with a P-rated tire. Thanks again, jay
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    I have a 02 Mountaineer w/V8 and tow package,3:73 rear end, build date of 12/01, however I did not purchase this until August 02. I had a bad vibration when I first drove this car, solution was a new drive shaft, since then I still have a slight vibration that is really annoying. It is the shop today and again they are trying to find it. Mine has the Goodyears on it which have been replaced. I even went so far as swapping a friends cross terrains for a few miles but no luck. I just finished a 2200 mile road trip and I can tell you the vibration comes and goes, and it is not better or worse on concrete or asphalt road surfaces. I have driven other 02's and they do not vibrate. I will let them try to one more time, then it off to the lemon law. I would try a to get a new set tires on a trial basis before paying for them to see if that help. I would like to know where you feel the vibration, the seat of pants, steering wheel, dashboard.... and what your build date was so I can compare notes. I have heard that some of the early ones had some problems. Thanks in advance.
    once in a while, my 2000 explorer AWD V8 will have a little extra vibration, typically in tight turn or mild turn heading up or down hill conditions. it's not serious, and I am attributing it to conditions that allow the fluid clutches to decide to put a little torque on at a front wheel that usually isn't pulling, but steering. and that's what the manual says is supposed to happen unbidden when it's almost needed, so there isn't a jerk and jump to wake you up when it's "really" needed.

if you're expecting a DeVille ride in an AWD or 4WD, I think you're expecting just a little bit too much. there will be some extra and irregular noise from places you're not used to if this is the first sure-footed stumpjumper you've owned.

now, loud grinding or abrasive vibrations can be caused by misalignments in the drive system on any vehicle, and if you're low on transfer case fluid or driving with a sour flex joint on a half-shaft and drive for that wheel kicks in, you are going to be surprised and for sure. that needs checking out.
  • tsaylestsayles Member Posts: 8
    Anyone out there with defective paint on their 2002 Mountaineer or Explorer, I would like to here from you. My new SUV is less than two weeks old and the paint cracking under the clear coat. What to do???
    talk to the general manager of the dealership. they should get that redone under warranty. if not, find a lawyer. they'll have to go down to metal to fix that, and it will be a pain, but it needs to be done.
  • peaches5peaches5 Member Posts: 91
    Just curious - what color paint and which model do you have?
    Thanks for the response. It's a '02 Mountaineer and the color is Silver Birch. The dealer told me the entire vehicle will be repainted except for the top but I basically told them that was not acceptable. Just bums me out because I do not want a two week old vehicle repainted and I have to worry about the diminished value.

Interesting note, they called the problem "scaling". Makes me wonder if it is a know problem in the Ford inner circle.

The GM and other managers are now talking to Ford Customer Service. They seem to be responsive to me concerns but we'll see about the outcome.
    Wish me luck and Thanks...
    I believe my truck was built in 10/01, and I bought it in 11/01. My truck's vibration first appeared about 6 weeks ago, and is most noticable from ~ 60 MPH and above, with a tendency to become more pronounced the faster the speed. I seem to feel it most in the seat, and this vibration seems to often have an "oscillating" quality rather than feeling constant. In addition, this vibration seems to be accompanied by an increase in tire noise at freeway speeds. Please note that I faithfully adhere to all scheduled maint., include every 5000 mile tire rotation. The vehicle has also had its front and rear wheels re-aligned twice so far. However, at 12,000 miles, I had a dealer check the "alignment" free-of-charge per Ford's service plan, but I later found out (when I had the tires rotated yet again at the 15,000 mile point) that this dealer had apparently not checked the REAR wheel alignment at the 12,000 mile check-up, which was actually out of alignment, and this resulted in some abnormal wear of the rear tires. One theory is that perhaps the two abnormally worn tires have gone on to become ever more problematic despite being subsequently rotated in an effort to even-out the wear. At any rate, if new tires don't solve the problem, then I'll just have to work with Ford to start looking for other possible causes. Prior to the onset of this problem about 6 weeks ago, my truck (which I alone have now driven ~26,000 miles) rode very smoothly, even for a truck.
  • wgraferwgrafer Member Posts: 592
    tsayles - My 2002 Explorer also had weird paint problems. The hood and roof had wild paint cracks develop over a year under the clearcoat on the hood and on the roof. It looked like gremlins were under the hood clawing upward. The dealer had the warranty rep inspect, and she agreed that it needed to be redone. It took 9 days (I had another problem-unmatched paint on a body shop job- handled at the same time), and the shop said they had never seen such thick paint (BTW, the hood IS fiberglass, so it needed to be stripped down by hand). You know, Ford warranty does not cover rental replacement while work is being done, however Ford Customer Care people bent the rules for me as it obviously was a manufacturing defect. Be nice when you call.

Bottom line: the warranty paint job is beautiful, and my 2002 now looks perfect! And the vehicle has been a great performer for a year and 1/2 (now has 26,500 miles).
    In my opinion, Zaino Bros. (http://www.zainobros.com/) makes the absolute finest car finish products, especially for clearcoated vehicles.
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    I'll bet the Michelin people really like you! I agree that Michelin makes mighty fine tires. I've got to tell you though, that I feel they are a little "too proud" of them (as is apparent when one prices Michelin tires.) My late build 2002 Mountaineer Premier has BFG Rugged Trail T/A's on it, and I find them quite satisfactory so far. The size is 245/17.
    Another good brand for paint care is Meguiar's. That extra thick paint you mentioned is indeed a problem. I have seen overpainted areas peel, and it doesn't take a lot of time for it to start.
    You got me going on that one, because paint is one thing Henry usually got pretty right. I have had no such problem with my 2002 (black), but I'd be furious if I did. I watched my Chevy Trucks peel like a snake in the 90's, and the General would do nothing about it. BTW, Lincoln/Mercury does give you a free rental I believe if the car needs to stay overnight. At least, I've always received one, maybe just a good dealer. One reason to upgrade a little to the Mercury line if you like the car. So, is it the Silver Birch that is the problem? Too bad, I like the color.
  • bkahn1bkahn1 Member Posts: 7
    I need a new tow vehicle for my boat. Does anyone have experience with a 4,500 - 5,000 lb. trailer and a new (2002 - 2003) explorer? I am concerned about both road manners and durability issues. I am trying to decide between an Explorer and an F150 SuperCrew.
    Check out the crash data on http://www.iihs.org and that may make your decision (go to Mid-size SUV and the truck sections - they only test the F150 extended cab but probably are similar). I have a '02 V8 Mountaineer but have not towed anything yet. My old '96 V8 Explorer towed a 4000 pound boat/trailer without any problems. Ask the dealer if you can tow the boat around the block before you close the deal.
    due to longer and wider wheelbase. however, either vehicle equipped with the factory tow package and properly rigged (you will need an equalizing hitch, and spend the extra $150-200 and also get the stabilizer anti-sway bar system, it makes a giant difference in winds and meeting traffic or passing 18-wheelers) should be rated for the job.

however, if you have hitch-hydraulics for braking on the trailer, better talk to the boat shop before putting on any stabilizing bars, the friction on the anti-sway will affect when the brakes kick in.

you will want the V8 system on the explorer, and should also go for V8 on the 150. don't forget that you are basically saying that you won't carry any load or passengers in all seats of the explorer if you are going to tow at or near the maximum rating... if you need to do both, the crew cab is a better idea, and the F250 crew may be even better yet.

figure out what you are going to pack and who is going along when you open up and close each year in addition to the boat, its gear, the rods and reels and geegaws, lawn chairs, and extra gas tanks and such. add up the real weights, and compare them to the load ratings for the vehicles you are looking at. if it's marginal, go for the bigger rig.

you are going to have some scary times on the road with a tow on that prevents you from stopping on a dime or zigzagging around some critter or baby seat that falls in the road sooner or later, and having extra braking power and some unused suspension power at those times could make a big difference between becoming part of the problem or getting past it.
    My Silver Birch Metallic is doing just fine on my '02 Premier M'neer. From the "Olden Days" I recall the stringent caveats against silver and red paint, but I do think that the newer paint systems compensate well for that oxidation problem of yore. Currently owning three reds, a silver, and a white, I sure hope I am correct. And then there's the orange and black Honda Valkyrie...
    Clearcoat should mitigate the fade of metallics. Since 1984, Ford has used clearcoat on about everything they build, and it was mandated by the EPA soon after that, so that color is no longer a real issue for durability. That clearcoat is hard stuff, and properly cared for, lasts for years and years...er, unless it is defective!
  • g_huskyg_husky Member Posts: 32
    I have these same tires in the 245/17 size that came on late 2002 expl XLT w/ sport package. Very nice ride quality and low noise. One thing I'm having trouble getting used to though, is they have very little rolling resistance. More and longer braking is needed with these because they just want to keep rolling!
    We should have such problems on all our tires. Sounds like better mileage in the making.
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for the information. My dealer could not find the vibration problem on Friday. When I arrived I asked for them to test drive it with me, and during that test drive they could feel the vibration. They could not fix it as it was Friday afternoon, so I will need to reschedule another appointment. I am not expecting a Deville ride but I am expecting a smooth ride (vibration free) and I have owned 4 other SUV's and also currently own a 2000 Ford Excursion and when cruising down the highway, it does not vibrate at any speed. Hopefully they will be able to find and fix the problem, because otherwise it been a great SUV.
    A year ago I put BFG Open Trail tires on my Navigator. They replaced the standard Continentals. They are quieter, grip better, squeal not at all, but nobody has been able to balance them yet, and everybody has tried. That's a problem.......
    As a generality, when tires won't balance, they need to be warranteed out. If the seller has never been able to balance them, you SHOULD be able to get them replaced as defective. I have been in a similar situation with the Goodyears that Ford paid for, to replace my Firestone Wilderness tires. I have had one Goodyear warranteed, but I am dealing with a company store outlet and they seem intent on not replacing any more. I feel the not-so-great ride and look at the large wheel weights, and I know what is wrong. I suspect this is my last set of Goodyear tires. They cost more than other brands, and they aren't as good as the Wilderness tires they have replaced!
    the service guys at my dealer said they had a lot of "seven-ounce" goodyears in that campaign. meaning pretty far out of static balance and needing a LOT of wheel weights. I don't have nearly as much lead hanging on my wheels with my Generals, and they've done well for me so far. grip endlessly better than the => KILLER TIRES! <= tm ever did, and they're a little more sure on snow as well.

at work, the guy across the aisle from me bought wranglers to replace his wrangler OEMs, and his were pretty well balanced and he likes 'em a lot. maybe there was a separate set of lines for the retail market, and another working OT to get the ford recall done....