Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Next refreshening is next year actually...
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Ok, as big a fan as I am of the Mountaineer & Explorer, believing them to be about the perfect SUV, and being on our 5th one, I would add that memory on the mirrors would be nice too, Cooled seats as well as heated seats would be a nice option to have, and the reverse mirrors need to come back to all Lincolns, and Mercurys...please! Once you have them....very hard to do without! These are the little things that make you loyal to a brand you know. Like the keypad on a door.
    I love that keypad entry system. Helps when I go to the beach, gym, karate class, yoga, and don't wish to carry wallet, or keys with me. Just dial the digits, and pop it open.
    Exactly! I was on the 24 month lease plan for my wife in the 90's, and her 94 Cougar was up. The 96 Cougar no longer had the keypad available - so she made me buy her 94 out of the lease for her. No way she would do without that keypad, even for a new car! Even brought her a new Cadillac home to try out. No sale. Wanted her keypad. Don't let them thrift that off the cars, ANT. Would be a mistake.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Every year it seems to be a behavior with Ford to see what they can "delete from being standard" to what the car buying public will accept. They delete things then make you buy them in some sort of- the following: Convenience package, appearance package, etc. The we we look at the sticker, we wonder why the price goes up each year. Car makers will say-Yes, the base price stayed the same or only went up $200.00. But it seems to be the case that each year you have to pay more (even taking in to consideration inflation)to get the EXACT SAME VEHICLE. This years Explorer is a prime example. They did away with "color coordinated door handles on the XLT-now they are part of an "appearance package". I guess they think people won't notice or will pay for it. On the Focus SE sedan, you used to get 5 "spoke wheels," now they are plastic wheel covers. If you look at Ford's sales it appears to be a false assumption that people are willing to pay more for less. Even the bottom tier Hyundai (ACCENT) gets color coded mirrors. Just try to Find this on an Explorer or Focus.....
    Actually I like those black colored mirrors. If I scrap something with it, it doesn't show the underlying color.
    Glad those work for you Ant.........
    Well I do the extreme opposite. All my vehicles have been black, so scraps (whether on mirrors, or bumpers) do not show after the paint is scraped off.
  • eng6ineeng6ine Member Posts: 29
    I just bought a 04 Explorer XLT with the V6, 6000 trouble free miles so far. I have only one question, do these SUV's have the cabin air filter?...cannot find it in the owners manual, not a big deal if it doesn't have it, just wondering.
  • roger341roger341 Member Posts: 59
    So far our Exp has been just fine, no problems whatsoever.

This is our 3rd Exp and we fully intend to buy another one, probably 06 model which is supposed to have some significant changes....or so I've heard.

Only mistake we made was not getting the aux a/c unit. We do have the 3rd seat and V8.

If I had to gripe, it would be the almost invisible instruments when it's daylight and I have sunglasses on, and the ultra cheap plastic moldings. Ford can do better.
    Are you sure it's the instrument lighting and not just the sunglasses? I have bought a few pair of sunglasses that totally washes out all digital displays and have had to toss them out in favor of sunglasses that do not have that 'tint' which doesn't allow me to view them.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Most "polarized" sunglasses make digital guages disappear, as well as radio displays, clocks, and most all digital items in a vehicle. Also bad for this was GM's heads-up display. To avoid this, if you must insist on wearing sunglasses (like me), then get the non-polarized lenses, or just learn to deal with the magic guages.
  • wayne9269wayne9269 Member Posts: 12
    hi there. i have a 2004 explorer xlt with the audiophile option installed. it says that their are 7 speakers, yet i can only find 5. 2 in the front two doors, 2 in the rear doors and the subwoofer in the back. anyone have any information for me with where the other two speakers are. thx....wayne
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is interested in talking with a 2004 Ford Explorer Owner who has experienced clunking when it goes from park to reverse when cold. This sounds like the tranny/solenoid problem some of you have been complaining about.

If you are interested and willing to be interviewed on camera - please email sylvia@edmunds.com TODAY with your daytime contact info and city/state.

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The fix is replacing the solenoid and reprogram the PCM, it doesn't take long to do.
  • 1stmountie1stmountie Member Posts: 13
    Well, I had that problem with my 04 Mountaineer (6,900 miles). My problem was not so much park to reverse, but from a forward gear to reverse (ex: quick three point turn). Throw it into reverse, give a little gas "BOOM". Serious delay. Since it's my first SUV, thought maybe it was normal if I attempted to accelerate too quickly in reverse coming out of a forward gear. If I shifted into reverse, waited an extra second or two, not a problem.

When my friend forwarded the article to me, I called my dealer. Told me to bring it in for test ride to recreate problem, then would order the part and schedule appointment. Brought it in this past Saturday and he acknowledged the problem. He had a few of the replacement solenoids in stock and fixed it on the spot. Saturday after Thanksgiving must be a slow day since everyone wants their cars/trucks fixed before the long weekend. Whole repair process took 90 minutes. Don't have to drop tranny to repair. As I watched from a distance, all I saw was the pan removed and the fluid drained. Assuming solenoid is external to the tranny. Haven't tried to recreate the problem on my own yet to test the fix, but I do notice the truck to be a little smoother in the forward shifting. I'll update.
  • geoffdgtigeoffdgti Member Posts: 83
    I was paging through the manuals of my 2003 V8 AWD + towing Mountaineer looking at service intervals. Ford gives us an all-in-one booklet where they list replacing transmission fluid for certain transmissions at 30,000 miles. Anybody know how I can find out what transmission I have to see if I'm supposed to do a fluid change?
  • jhartmann2jhartmann2 Member Posts: 13
    Just bought a 2004 4X4 Explorer XLT with Sunroof, 3rd row seat, auxiliary air. I thought that there were supposed to be air controls in the 3rd row seat to allow the people in the back to control if they need air or not. However, there are no controls in the back only the front.

Can someone tell me if controls are supposed to be in the back or is this absence due to the sunroof?
  • ceadsceads Member Posts: 24
    I dont have a ROOF in my 02 limited, My controls are in the middle of the roof above the 2nd row. My controls area also in the front in the middle (top)
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    The last time I checked, all cars had a roof.

Why is it people have started referring to a "sunroof" or "moonroof" as simply a "roof."? I think it's silly myself, because when I look at car ads and it says something to the effect of "'01 Ford Explorer, loaded, ps, pb, pdl, pw, roof, cd, etc..." Well I sure hope it has a roof!!!
    Thanks. I knew I saw the controls in the back before.

Can someone who has a sunroof and auxiliary air respond to this?
  • ceadsceads Member Posts: 24
    You answered your own Question ALL cars have a type of roof , BUT in the car world it means a Moon or Sun roof,I know your only 21 but you will learn.I agree with you about the loaded part , then they add it has PS and PB which all have PB and 99.9 have PS
    I have the rear air in a 2002 XLT Explorer. In my vehicle there are rear controls up on the roof in front of the center row seats (Or second row if you don't have the 3rd seat option like I do!). There are also controls in front up in the center roof console that override these controls. It is obvious there has been major decontenting in this last model year of the Explorer before a redesign. No more body color-key door handles, etc. I have not looked at a new model to see if rear air/heater controls were deleted as well. There have never been any controls near the 3rd seat if you have that option. Good luck!
  • jack3835jack3835 Member Posts: 1
    Hey folks....Just bought used 02 mountaineer, 2wd with 36k miles....Drove it around for about a week, and sems pretty solid. One day after parking in the garage, I could smell gas....cecked the floor for leaks etc, found none...now it's every day and even when I drive it, can smell gas fumes, but cannot find any leaks...any ideas or suggestions....
    That's an odd one, but it could be a few items. Fuel filter, or one of the fuel lines, but you might not see a leak because it might be falling upon a part thats hot, therefore it evaporates and you smell the fumes.

This is something I would have the dealership check out immediately because of the potential fire risk. Granted, it could be something minor, that's not a risk, but we don't really want to test out the odds in this case.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    funny thing about the aux air. sometimes the kids leave the heat on, and i spend some time dropping the heat in the front. when front heat is off and my neck is still warm, i know to reach back and turn off the rear controls!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    My 2004 XLT has the base radio and I'm not too happy with the sound.

If I replaced only the speakers would I get better sound or do I need to replace the unit as well?
    If you want to do a good job, replace the speaker's, and add an AMP (usually they'll locate it under the front seats). Just replacing the speaker's only resolve part of the issue, an AMP will distribute better sound and give you higher capacity. The headunit doesn't need to be replaced, since the AMP and speaker's will be doing the whole job. Plus you won't have the look of some tacky aftermarket headunit that doesn't match anything else in the interior and look like an add-on.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    That's gotta hurt. But I'm sure it hurt Honda as well to recall a few hundred thousand vehicles to replace the air bag. Ouch.
    I don't believe there are any controls in the back of the Explorer. The Expedition has second row controls, but not the Explorer. NOBODY has third row controls...
    There are controls in the for the back seat of my wife's 2002 Explorer. They are located up on the headliner kind of in the center. The question is - Is this a decontented item for 2004 or 2005?
  • roseofsharonroseofsharon Member Posts: 3
    Can you please help me figure out my problem? I just purchased a used 1997 Mercury Mountaineer and the only problem I have with this nice vehicle is the radio. It sounds like there is maybe not enough power to bring the sound on through or all the speakers are blown. There is not that type of sound where speakers are blown though like heavy rattling, so just can't figure it out. Also, in the back seat where you plug in your head phones in the radio control; that works fine if you use the head phones. I just don't know much about radio and speaker electronics. I sure appreciate your time and help. Thanks!
    You mean the rear seat speakers are weaker than the front ones? If so, that's normal for this car, why I don't know but that's how they are.
    Thanks for the response; however no, all the speakers are weak; they are barely coming through even with the volume turned full. The only way I can listen to it decent would be through the head phones.
    then, I'm betting the amp is bad, not the speakers.
    Thanks so much for your reply to my problem. Where is this amp located and how do I get it replaced or checked?
    Well, now it gets a bit sticky for me. I'm pretty sure it's in the back behind a side panel somewhere, but beyond that, I'm not sure. The actual radio on these cars isn't in the dash, all you have there is the control panel, and the CD/casette player possibly, but the rest of the radio guts is elsewhere in the car. Makes it hard to steal that way. That's what you need to replace probably..... I'd talk to the parts guy at the dealership. Talk to the old codger with the Ford cap on his head......behind the counter.
  • meemeemeemee Member Posts: 8
    we have a 04 Lux. Mountaineer. We live in the north east wher it has begun to get very cold. The tire pressure warning system is always going off. Dealer says it is sensitve to the cold pressure changes. Is this common? Any fix? Or just ignore it?
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Always had its tire pressure light on in the winter. Took us a while to get the pressure exactly right, after that it was fine. I learned to ignore it for the most part until we got it figured out. They are very sensitive to the cold tire pressure, so pick your poison, either adjust it carefully or ignore it.
  • patrick9patrick9 Member Posts: 7
    I have an 03 Explorer XLT, which I am generally happy with except for one issue: it does not have AdvanceTrac stability control.

In looking at the NHSTA rollover resistance ratings, electronic stability control seems to really make a difference in reducing rollover.

Now I'm thinking - is it worth taking a loss and trading in my 03 Explorer for an 05 Explorer with standard stability control? Any thoughts out there on this matter?
    Personally, wait till next year. A redesigned version will debut next year.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Alot of people aren't aware that 10 degrees of temperature change will change your tire pressure by about 1 psi.

The pressure sensors are required by NHTSA to be extremely sensitive. The best time to check your tire pressure is on a cold morning.

YOU SHOULDN'T BE IGNORING THIS.

If you find that you don't have time to check your pressure in the morning. JUST ADD 1 pound of pressure for every 10 degrees of expected temperature difference.

Mark
    It is normal, the fix is to pump them up to about 40psi in the fall, so that they stay adequately inflated when the temperature drops overnight and you won't set them off in the mornings. You may need to bleed them in the spring again, to keep them from being over inflated in the summer. In short, they need to be checked every couple of months to keep them within safe parameters, and not neglected.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    ant14, have an '02 explorer. thinking somewhat the way patrick9 is, so i can get stability control and side curtains. also power moonroof :)

what will be better about the '06?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Explorer,

It'll be resystled, a more powerful 3V 4.6L (from the Mustang), a few other modifications like suspension tuning and such, some new items added, etc. Remember it's the 4th year of the product cycle, therefore it means the modifications will be a bit more extensive.
    Here some pics of it....

Source: Weick

http://autodeadline.com/Photos?source=&model=&kw=&pag- e=1
  • 02xls02xls Member Posts: 40
    Last month Steve the host posted a link that was a press release referring to 2004 Explorers tranny clunk or something like that. Does anyone know if the 04's have a different trans. than 02 or 03 explorers? Why only 04 owners questioned?
    Same tranny, but different fluid was used.
  • 02xls02xls Member Posts: 40
    ANT14 I have been a reader of this forum for quite a while and I think you have posted on here many times in the past. I currently own my 3rd Explorer. I had a 93 sport and now have a 99 XLT and a 02xls. This explorer run will end for me on 12/23 when I trade both my Fords in on my first import SUV. I may be beating a dead horse with this question but in your opinion how with all the problems that Ford is having with the redsigned 02 and newer explorers are they able to get away with no recalls or at least the willingness to repair the ones with major problems even out of warranty? I am mainly talking about the Rear End Pinion Gear/Drivetrain issue that they will not own up to.