Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Mercury Mountaineer 2005 and earlier

Comments

• ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Yes, 2-tone will continue.
  • ryana97ryana97 Member Posts: 8
    I own a '02.5 Explorer EB and on my vehicle I noticed that the fog lights will not go on if the headlight switch is in the automatic mode. I tried to pull on the switch. The fog lights work when the headlight switch is in the park or normal headlight position by pulling on the switch. The owners manual states that the fog lights should be able to be used in all switch locations. I brought the vehicle into a dealer last week and said that the automatic mode had a different circuit so the fog lights would not work. Recently had a rental '05 Explorer and the fog lights worked in the automatic mode. Just want to know the real story before the original warranty expires
  • pnewbypnewby Member Posts: 277
    My early '02 works like yours. No fogs on auto mode. I think it was a mid yaer switchover, so you might have hit the early switch with the '02.5 My OM stated it worked this way on auto.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Yes, at some point, this switch was upgraded to allow for the fog lights to work automatically in the auto mode, but the early 02's didn't. You could have the switch changed out possibly?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    mine was built 03/02. the fogs work with the lights in auto mode.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    For whaetever reason I am getting now only 250 miles from a tank of gas on my Mountaineer. And, I used to get 340. What could it be? Winter? It's '04, 14,000 miles, syntetic oil in the engine, drive it like a Miss Daisy.

The smell from heating system is getting real bad. Nearly lost my voice yesterday after an hour drive - got allergy... If Ford knows about it, why they don't install filtration system or something?
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    You can quote all you want, but like 02XLS, I got a POS! Period, end of story. I'll not only back up my claims, make me an offer on a loaded 2003 NBX, purchased new 12/03 and I'll personally deliver it to you. Just got it back from the shop for the fifth time in one year. BOTH rear axle seals leaking all over the garage floor. This POS has less than 15K and it spends as much time in the shop as it does on the road. The transmission is still making clunking noises that are "normal". This vehicle replaced a '93 Eddie Bauer (new tranny at just over 100K). Yea, I was one of those repeat buyers you mentioned, but that won't happen again! I learned my lesson from the first one (not a horrible vehicle, but more problems than what I would call average), but my wife insisted on buying the 2003. As far as I'm concerned, if she wants another Ford, she can make the payments. I am trying to talk her into an '05 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab, if we can unload this POS.

Oh, BTW, it also has developed the rear-end whine that is also "normal" and "does not effect vehicle longevity". Hell, I'll even load it on my trailer and pull it to you, so I make sure and get it there.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No buying and selling on the boards please.

Venting is ok. :-)

Is it still under warranty and have you investigated lemon laws?

Steve, Host
    "I got a POS! Period," - lots of others do not.

my '02 has 41k on it, still has green on green/yellow/red scale for tires and brakes. i am happy about this, although i must ready to hit the yellow zone.
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I can't wait for the redesigned or should I say refreshened 06 Explorer. The new Mountaineers look pretty nice. When might they release pics of the Explorer?
    IN a few Months...
    Does piston slap annoy you at all?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    has major changes coming, will the Explorer share the same, or will they hold for a year just to give the M'eer a head start for sales...seems that they released the M'eer photos to let the world know they are not killing Mercury like the Olds and Plymouth...marketing COULD cause changes on Explorer to be delayed, maybe...it is the cynical side of me that asks that query...
    Explorer will always be produced prior to the Mountaineer version. Assembly line must make sure both versions are readily avialable. I also have the build date for the Explorer, so yes, it will be first. The first few vehicles will be Explorer's, and the Mountaineers come in a bit after.

Ford takes advantage of the Chicago show to display the Mercury variations of their vehicles, and while Ford could have used the spotlight of the NAIAS (Detroit Show) to display the Explorer, it wanted to give the Mountaineer the spotlight first.
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    I know there are unreliable ones out there. I fully believe you, 02xls, chuck, and all of the other horror stories I have heard in person. I would be very upset if I was having such severe problems with mine.

I have been back in the shop five times myself. From the factory, the rear passenger door lock was not operating properly. Later I had the transmission soleniod changed to fix the clunking. I had the front suspension bushings replaced as they were squeaking. I had the transmission fluid added when I got that service letter. One morning, it almost did not start; I had to crank it for about 5 minutes to get it to fire, and even then it ran very rough until it warmed up. That hasn't happened again.

My dealer was fantastic through all of this. Excellent service, good explanations, very willing, loaner car, fixed right the first time, etc. Couldn't be happier. Maybe if they weren't so skilful and accommodating my attitude would be different.

My first post in this forum was just a tribute to the fact that with all of these little problems, not once have I been stranded by the side of the road or placed in a dangerous situation while driving, such as I have before on different vehicles; and that the majority of Explorers are average and not lemons. Really, that's all that got me started debating 02xls. All I wanted to say was that they are overall, on average, good trucks, average in reliability, and they won't leave you stranded. Some are flawless, the vast majority are average, some are problematic. I'm sure that's how it is with all cars.

So unlike some on this board I wouldn't tell others that just because I have had some problems, they'll have them too. I wouldn't recommend that a potential buyer look elsewhere. I know many, on here and in person, who have had no problems whatsoever.

As nvbanker pointed out, you could go buy a Chevy truck and have to deal with piston slap and numerous other severe problems, and not be any better off than you are now. GM is having a terrible time with quality control, look at all of their recent recalls.

I looked at a Honda Accord (though the last one I had was total, total crap), because I am a chronic car buyer (I keep cars 1.6 years, on average, and go back and forth between sedans and SUVS). I went to their "problems and solutions" board, and wow, people are raising Cain over there too. Loud, incessant squeaks & rattles, lousy suspensions (ride deteriorates quickly), electrical gremlins, etc. etc. The Mazda6 board was worse. So I could trade for either one of those on a whim and still go to the shop every now and then for some complaint. But that wouldn't keep me from buying one.

My posts were just meant to show the rest of the story. I'm not going to debate each person. I'm sorry you all have had problems. From now on I'll just let you guys rant and rave regardless of what kind of claims you make about what kind of ownership experiences others will have or Ford overall. It won't have any impact on Explorer sales any ways, but like I care.

I do hope you get your situation worked out to your satisfaction.
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    I have an '01 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 4x4 EC purchased new 04/01. It has 45,000 piston slapping miles on it. It uses no oil between 3,000 mile oil changes and the only time its been in the shop was a recall, yes I said recall, on the tailgate straps. It took every bit of 10 minutes. I originally had some concerns with the piston slap issue. I discussed this with the service manager where I purchased the vehicle. He hooked me up with the regional sales manager. Both assured me, to my skepticism at the time, that this would not effect vehicle longevity. I am not one to trade vehicles every couple of years. I expect a vehicle to last a minimum of 10 years and 150,000 miles. GM was willing to put their money where their mouth was and gave me a free 100,000 mile extended warranty on the engine and all engine components. I figured if it doesn't start using oil or get worse by 100,000 miles, engine slap isn't a problem. So far, I would have to agree with them. This truck sees some fairly hard miles. It is used primarily to pull a 6,500 lb. travel trailer and a tandem axle trailer loaded with firewood that probably pushes 7,500 lbs. It is the first GM product that I have owned since my '75 Monte Carlo that I had in college (which had over 230,000 miles when it was finally trashed in a demolition derby).

Unfortunately, I am not getting the same backing from Ford. While the dealership where I purchased it has been cooperative in repairing some of the problems and trying to diagnose the transmission problem, Ford is not willing to put their money where their mouth is as GM did. I was told by both the service manager and the regional sales manager that their were no problems and vehicle longevity would not be an issue (which I once again accept with skepticism, since they don't even seem to know what's wrong). I was also told that Ford would not offer a free extended warranty on the transmission or rear-end and, that if I had concerns, I should fork out about $1,500 for an extended warranty. It is this lack of standing behind their vehicles that has P'd me off.

While I don't expect every vehicle to be problem free, this is getting rediculous. And, with the number of major problems that I have had from previous Ford vehicles (new tranny at 100K in a '93 Eddie Bauer Explorer, new engine in a '91 F-150 at 100K and the worst vehicle I have ever owned in an '02 Taurus), I am quickly becoming a GM customer.

All I wish is that Ford would put their money where their mouth is. If these aren't problems, then warrant them beyond the 36-month/36,000 miles. I think a transmission and rear-end should last much longer than this!
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Go to www.fordwarrantys.com

You can buy an extended warranty that will cover the motor and tranny for $700.00. (Up to 75,000 miles)-that's what I did!
    Ok, enjoy.
  • gregb5gregb5 Member Posts: 82
    I guess I got lucky with a good dealer. My '02 Explorer is on its third trans now. When the last one let go, after 40K miles and 46K on the odometer, the dealer made me pay half of the cost but gave me a 72 month/100K Powertrain warranty when it was done.
    That warranty is now coming in handy at 57K because the differential has gone bad and will be replaced next week.
    This is my third Explorer, but unless they improve the driveline components, it will be my last.
    Yes,As much as my wife likes her '02 XLT 4.0 SOHC, one has to be nuts not to invest in an extended warranty on these SUVs. This is the ONLY VEHICLE where I have purchased an extended warranty, (and the only one where I felt I needed to) to cover that time bomb called the rear end differential!
  • yippy1yippy1 Member Posts: 2
    Do you have a V-6 or a V-8? I have a V-8 and I only get around 280 miles on my tank. If you got 340 on a V-8, PLEASE let me know what you were doing.
  • yippy1yippy1 Member Posts: 2
    If you have not seen pics of the new Mountaineer, you are missing out. What they did is basically turned the new Mountaineer in to the currant Aviator. The interior, such as the dash looks great. I can't wait for it to come out so that I can go from an '03 to a '06
    what are you going by? gas gauge, low fuel light, message center?
    i have v8 with towing package. i can get over 400 on a strictly highway trip.
    if the low fuel light goes on at 50 miles left, based on a 22.5 gallon tank, you are getting 14.7 mpg.
    I change my own oil (synthetic). Back in October I took the Explorer in to have the tires balanced and rotated and have them look at a blown speaker. There was a misunderstanding and they changed my oil as well, but I let it slide even though I had just done it myself less than 1,000 miles ago. They had otherwise been flawless and I didn't want to sour our good relationship by making a scene.

I gave it an oil change this weekend and realized that they put a whole extra quart of oil in the motor. SIX quarts instead of 5. I drove it for 4,000 miles like this. I know it was too full because I pour the old oil into the 5 quart container the new stuff comes out of, but this time it overflowed and went everywhere. I know it was them because no one has been under the hood but me.

I think our good relationship is on the ropes after this one. What do you guys think, how bad of a mistake was that? The motor seems fine, as far as I can tell.
    Which year & motor do you have, bender?
    2004 4.0
  • elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    Hi,
    I was the owner of an 03 TrailBlazer which was recently totaled in an accident. I am now looking for a new SUV and am considering the Explorer as one of my choices. I liked the TB's power and am wondering how the Explorer with the V-6 compares in real world driving situations. Are there any options I should definitly buy or avoid? What are the major known problems with these trucks? Which rear end is best? I think the 3.55 comes standard, with the 3.73 and 4.11 as options. I know on the TrailBlazer, as odd as it seems, the 3.73 would consistently get better MPG than the 3.42 because it was better suited to keeping the engine in its powerband range, and it helped the heavy SUV get moving from a dead stop in city driving, which more than made up for any gain with the 3.42's on the highway. What are you guys with the V-6 and 4WD getting for MPG average? Like I said, I am looking at getting an new SUV very soon and the Explorer seems to have some great deals out on it. What is everyone getting of sticker price? If anyone has any other comments they will certainly be appreciated, and thank you in advance.
    Hi,

I have an '04 XLS 4x4, 4.0L V6.

How does the V-6 drive in the real world? It feels quick at part-throttle. The engine has alot of torque and keeping up with traffic is no problem. Low- and mid-range power is plentiful. That said, over 4,000 RPM the engine seems to lose steam, and gets pretty noisy. Somehow, it feels slower at full throttle. I use full synthetic oil in my V-6, which quieted it down alot and helps it rev smoother. The V-6 is just fine, but get the V-8 if you want great top-end power. It revs very quickly and pulls strongly throughout the rev range.

I don't think there are any must-have options or options to avoid. Get what you would like. The known problems (from this board) are as follows: some people are having some shifting problems with their transmissions very early, but fixes are available. Some are having problems with rear ends after about 30k, which some dealers seem reluctant to fix. A fix is now available from Ford but it is not compatible with the limited-slip option. They are not "major" problems meaning that they do not appear in every vehicle nor do they cause breakdowns. Some have them, some do not. If you have problems with yours, evidently you can pick up an extended warranty before the standard one runs out.

Gas mileage is not good. I get 14-15 city and 20 highway, about what the EPA estimated. I use regular unleaded.

What sold me was the ride, handling, and cargo space. Test drive one and I think you will like it, and yes they are a good deal.
    Personally, I recommend opting for the V8. The V6 has to work much harder to pull the load around, and chances are your fuel consumption will be similar. And V8 is much more refined.

I also recommend the 3rd row seating option, helps with resale since it's an option that many used car buyer's shop for.

If you wait till later in the new, the newly redesigned Explorer/Mountaineer will debut, with more features/power/comfort, etc. Which is why your probably seeing so many good deals on them.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There should be some deal talk in the Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Bummer about your truck.

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the replies guys. Steve, I checked out that forum. Not too mch recent info, but some good info anyways. Benderofbows, thanks for the info. I am disappointed by the mileage you are getting. I could get a consistant 18 MPG minimum with my TrailBlazer even with almost all city driving. On the highway getting over 20 is not uncommon at all. The TB has a 275 HP engine also, so I thought the Explorer would be better as far as economy goes. Is everyone getting this same mileage? What rear end are you guys running and does it effect the mileage much?

Thanks again.
    The axle ratio... The higher the number, the quicker it is off the line, but you suffer in the highway fuel economy average, since it drops because your wheels are turning a bit faster.

Is the difference major? Not really, you lose 1MPG if you compare the EPA on the window stickers. I personally prefer quicker acceleration, to allow the engine to loaf at the desired level, rather than having it rev over and over to acheive the desired speed.

You will also notice the higher axle ratio's on "towing" packages, this helps quite a bit.

Used Explorer's sell best, when equiped with the 3rd row seat, larger engine, and towing package.
    I agree with ANT on this (and just about everything else FORD related....) The V-8 makes all the difference with this truck. It makes this truck a blast to drive, and you'll lose only 1 MPG, which is ludricrous to even consider, given the kick in the pants the extra power is. My brother is on his second TrailBlazer, and I'm on my 5th Explorer/Mountaineer. They're both great trucks. Can't knock either really, but the thing is, the TB has not one feature over the Explorer besides BlondStar! Not one! You can't get the 3rd row seat in the TB. You can't get the Independent Rear Suspension in the TB. You can't get the HVAC in the roof all the way back in the TB, a big deal in the South & SouthWest. And I refuse to buy an SUV where I have to lug out the 3rd seat and leave it somewhere when I see a TV I wanna buy and take home. I like to fold the seats down and take it home NOW. It's a huge bone of contention between my brother and I. The TB is just old fashioned IMO. Also, I think the interior of the TB is ugly and old wierd looking, but that's just my opinion. Actually, I think the whole truck is built pretty old fashioned. But, it works just fine. The Explorer is just the most efficient design on the road, IMO. And the best value, for the money.
  • bradlicbradlic Member Posts: 8
    HI,
    I have an 05 Mountaineer AWD V8. With AWD is all 4 tires getting the same amount of power? Also in the message center when you press "System" for AWD there is a selection of "Auto" or "Locked", what is the difference?

Thanks for any help and information.
    No. In AWD, the rear tires are getting most of the power most of the time, unless some slippage is detected, then power is quickly transferred to the wheels that are not slipping, while brakes are applied to the wheels that are slipping.

Better read the manual for info on the Auto or Locked selection info - I'm not posted on the 05s yet.
    Apologize for not replying for a while - was on the road (again). My car is V6, 14,600 miles, I drive very carefully, like an old lady. Oil - syntetic, Mobil M1. I have no explanation to suddenly decreasing fuel economy. Some of my friends say, it is backpressure sensor, some others - thermostat. I don't know what to think, but the mileage is lousy. With V6 best mileage on 22.5 gallons I got was 330 - trip NY - Toronto, all highway. Obviously I have to bring the car to the dealer.
    My wife's '02 V6 XLT 2 wheel drive has never achieved more than 14 mpg/city and 20/highway. It has just about 36,000 miles on it now. If you received 22.5 mpg/hwy, what more do you want from an SUV that weighs over 4,000 pounds? Let me know what the dealer tells you.... it will be good for a laugh!!!
    Yea, I get about 14.5
    Gas tank is 22.5 gallons. On this gas tank, on the highway, I was getting 330 miles - which is just under 15 mpg. Which sucks.
    How fast were you running? High speed (around 80mph or more) really drains the economy of any car versus 55-60mph. I think the stats were around 5-10% for every 5 or 10mph over, does anyone know for sure? On an SUV like the X, which is less aerodynamic than usual, I bet it's worse than that even.

Happens to me all the time, if I get on I-40 and run 85 for a couple of hours, I'll blow through a tank real fast. Also, did you have a heavy load?
    It may suck, but again, it's an SUV which weighs over 4,000 lbs. If your driving 80 plus, 15 will be about right. I am currently looking at my "new car sticker" that came on the window. It says 16/city- 21/Hwy. And we all know this has nothing to do with real world figures. So as I stated; if my wife gets 14 mpg/city & 20/hwy (she drives with a light foot). That is only 2 miles per gallon less on the city mpg, and only one away from the highway figure. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but if your that concerned with mpg, an Explorer is not for you. I hear if you buy a Focus they will give you a "free computer". Maybe that is what you should consider. GOOD LUCK!(P.S.-the sticker also states a 3.55 regular ratio axle as well-whatever that is!)
    Explorer with the V6 doing 80MPH of pure highway only mileage, I can say I've averaged 13MPG, that's turning the A/C off and on. At 95MPH (before the governor kicks in at 97) your'll average 11MPG and watching that tach needle hit 3600-3800RPM.

With the Explorer V8, 4:10 axle ratio, My experience has been roughly an improvement of 2MPG since the engine is working at a lower RPM.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The article states "Well-known motorists club AAA says many cars and trucks it road-tests fall far short of their government fuel-economy ratings."

You wouldn't know that reading many of the mileage claims on these boards! :-)

tidester, host
    Yes, I agree with your assessments. I find highway speed of 70 I am able to get 20 mpg. Anything over that and the mpg goes down REAL FAST!!
    Chuck,
    Do you have the V-6? What axle ratio do you have? Is it 4WD? 20 MPG is a good number.
    I am looking at an 03 Eddie Bauer with the V-6 and the Flex Fuel option. Does this engine have any parts that the regular engine doesn't? I think that I would never use the propane option, so I want to know if having this engine will be in any way detrimental. Does it get worse milegae or have any known problems the regular engine doesn't?

Thanks
    This is a bad buy. Please talk to your service writer at your local Ford Dealership. The 30K, 60K, 90K, checkups are MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE than the gas versions. I would stay away!
    Elevator,
    Please see post #2327 and #2331!
    Good luck!
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    My 04 Explorer V6 had the flex fuel option, I never used anything other than 87 unleaded in it. No engine problems in 14k miles that I had it.